Fire Emblem: Requiem

7909211d884aba6b0c858b289f54bd6f.png

Campsite
Somewhere between Copperspine and Taltfallow

Interacting with: @Vayne (Dustice), @Orikanyo (Roland), @Jessica2477 (Velita)
Beatrix watched the food cook over the fire. Jorin bickered about the food, stating that if anyone were to touch the food before it was done, that they would eat last-- among other things. Their myrmidon even joined her at the fire, and after she had done a strange ceremony of dipping far from the fire and then close again, she sliced the skin between her fingers. The Laguz that traveled with them crawled about, seemingly attracted by the scent of blood. Roq had even stopped to say hello to her in a very casual way, which made her glance away uncomfortably. It wasn't just about the beast-man traveling with them. All of these people were strange within their own right. She hadn't even begun to question Jorin, which she would do either that night or the next morning. At least they were all getting along, more or less. The last thing she wanted was for people to bicker with one another.

She listened to Chidori's explanation for a little before she noticed something going on in the distance. At the edge of camp, Roland and Dustice faced an unfamiliar face. Beatrix tipped her head to the side. Who was that? She wasn't part of the group. She lifted herself from her spot beside the fire and stepped close to the small gathering at the edge of camp. Now that she was closer, she could see the flash of red hair. Blinking, Beatrix brushed past Dustice, noticing that he had his hand at the pommel of his sword.

"Strange to see a stranger roaming about at this time of night. Bandits and mercenaries litter the main roads. Though, it seems as if you've avoided most of them." Beatrix's voice wasn't hostile, albeit it held a little bit of suspicion as she glanced between Roland and Dustice before she rested her gaze on Velita once more. "And I would have thought these two would have been more wary about speaking to said stranger. But it seems like you'll cause no harm... you're looking for someone, lady knight? We're to arrive at Taltfallow tomorrow. If you wish to travel with us until then, you're more than welcome to," Beatrix murmured, her voice becoming a little light at the end. Weariness and wariness was sapping away at her energy-- perhaps food would replenish it.

Roland Durand, the man, the legend.

"When one sees a work of art you should do well with appreciating it. Think nothing of it." he chuckled lightly, a bright warm smile on his face as Beatrice entered the scene. "Thats right, if your brother is lost he would likely head for a nearby town correct? it may be a good place to collect yourself and see if anybody had seen him, even with bandits about people do love to wander, it is quite possible one of them had seen him somewhere in their travels. "

the young man made his points, naturally totally not wanting her to stay so he can speak with her more. A wandering knight! Looking for her brother, my she almost walked right out of a story book!

His eye turned for a moment to the others nearby the camp fire, hoping they were at least doing well and not causing Roq no trouble, who in his mind could truly do no wrong, like a overly proud parent... or pet owner...

@ those of whom are present.

cjx7K1o.png

97I4Yj9.png

Interacting with: Jessica2477, Luminosity, Orikanyo

His expression suddenly contorted to one of pure revulsion as Dustice slowly looked through the corner of his eye, his eyebrows raised high and lips parted in a forcibly-induced silence. Just a handful of slain bandits and one crescent moon into their journey, and there was already that sort of character among them. He would shut his eyes for a moment and shake his head, almost flinching in pain before his vision returned to the outsider. Perhaps unknown to the sweet talker, looks were a brilliant deception. For all that the swordsman knew, she could return the favor of a compliment by making off with their possessions in the night, or far worse; their wonderful lives, awaiting the bliss of being impaled by a lance. What a thrill.

Listening intently for the woman's answer, Dustice figured that the stars had not aligned for such a chance reunion with her sibling, peering over his shoulder and affirming the shocking reality that their personal culinarian was indeed, not her missing brother. "Not at all, I'm afraid. B- oof!" he felt his elbow come forward, his hand pushed off from his sword. His eyes sharpened to the back of Beatrix's head, matching her display with light contempt. He had forgotten the grievances in traveling with a circus, much less, a pair of aristocrats who were unsuspectingly inviting towards complete strangers. It was these types of nobles that the mercenary found vexing. Without so much as a lick of experience in the real world beneath their pair of pristine shoes that could feed the destitute children that sewed them.

Drawing a long sigh, the man crossed his arms together and dropped his shoulders, surrendering his suspicion for unreliable optimism. Dustice figured that Velita was honest in her intentions, turning from the group and holding an unsure smile to himself. Perhaps it had been the war and those experiences that planted the cynical cloud in his thoughts; trapped in his mind, constantly questioning himself and those around him... it was difficult to find the good in a world where all that good had been taken away from him. The mercenary was quick to adjust his expression to one of neutrality, looking between the two women awkwardly before following a few footfalls after Roland. "... well, I suppose we'll see," he briefly chimed, walking back towards the fire.

HyqZ6Jh.png

C A M P
Somewhere Between Copperspine and Taltfallow

Interacting with:Thaleko Jessica2477 Luminosity Orikanyo
Roq's poking fun at Chidori had not been received very well. Truly if there was one thing she'd gained, or rather lost, it was a sense of humor. Point being, she couldn't take a joke all that well which was something he was learning. But he was also learning something else as he began to listen to her "explanation" of her little quirk. He nodded along until it came to a point where he seemed confused. She must have picked up on that as she sounded off if a drawn out, "Bakaaa~" He didn't know exactly what it meant, but by here tone he could tell it was by no means a compliment.

Still, he listened, softly nodding his head at her words, his focus on her never shifting until she finished her explanation. Even so, he waited a moment, trying to give the appearance of being deep in thought to try and "get it."

"So, it's proof of your resolve?" Roq questioned Chidori softly as he took her hand by the wrist. He made no aggressive moves, merely examining it. She was something of a complexity. She didn't give off the appearance of vast intellect, at least not in the way some did, yet she seemed to believe she was on another level. That is to say, she looked at Roq as a dumb savage. It wasn't uncommon, but that didn't mean he liked it. Still, to act in anger wouldn't only paint himself and his kind as the bad guy, as he'd learned from his parents and his owners.

"To be clear, if you make a mistake, if you mess up, you must be punished?" he further questioned as he let go of her wrist. "To expect perfection of oneself is to court failure," he paused for a moment, "one of the elders told me that when I lived in Copperspine." The young Laguz tilted his head. "And to underestimate those around you, friends and foes alike, is to court death," he added without waiting for a response.

"You've been calling me a dog all day," he smiled, his tone still keeping its upbeat joviality, though with hidden undertones now present. "At first, I'd thought you just didn't know the difference. But I figured, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so who was I to judge." He shrugged as he rose to his feet, towering over the girl. For a moment his smile vanished. "But back to the point," he chuckled softly.

"You honestly believe you'll never make a mistake? That losing your fingers, never having the opportunity to improve again, giving up on your dreams…" Roq trailed off. How could that possibly be better than learning from those mistakes. He scoffed. "That's a load road to take to give up," he paused for a second and smirked before finishing, "baaaaaaaka." Roq was mocking her a bit now, though he drew out the word a bit differently, and a little less playfully this time around before turning away from the short swordswoman. He was silent for a time after that. Maybe he had gotten more upset than he initially thought. What a waste of talent, of hard work. Why even bother? Still, his attention was pulled away by the commotion, still evidently going on. Roland was no longer alone, having been joined by Dustice and even Beatrix.

His ears perked up and he began to walk towards the small, but growing, group. It wasn't like he'd needed the fire. But something was off. There was something about the girl. He felt like he recognized her, though he couldn't place it. He glanced back at Chidori to see if she'd joined the group, not uttering another word to her. She probably wouldn't have wanted to listen to him anymore anyway. But that was neither here nor there.

He joined the group, smiling once more, much warmer and more welcoming now when faced with Velita. "Oooooh, seems like my master has taken quite the liking to you," he said as he threw his arm around Roland upon his self-insertion into the conversation. "Another beauty added to the group to shower with affection," he teased his master, before picking up on a much more interesting piece of information. "Wait, you said mage?" He asked quite excited at the notion, letting his master go, a big toothy grin now plastering his face, his fangs much more evident now as his tail wagged. "Does he share your scent? Do you have something with his scent?" He questioned her, possibly dissolving any tension in the situation, at least at first.

He paused, before taking a step back. "Shit, I'm really sorry," he laughed a bit before giving a slight bow and placed his hand over his chest. "I'm Amaroq, but you can call me Roq," the wolf introduced himself as he tilted his head up to meet her eyes, should she be looking at him. "I mean, that with my master and our cap'n's permission I could probably help you track the person you're looking for down. If you wished to travel with us I mean." He was a bit more formal now, falling back into his teachings.

Chidori Tsubasa
chidoi-png.172298

interactions: @Demon Shinobi

"..n~!" Chidori droned lightly in surprise when he suddenly took her by the wrist, a glare instantly overtaking her features. She stared at him icily as he spoke, raising her eyebrow at his little piece of 'advice'. Then, when he revealed its origins she chuckled rudely, nodding. "..That makes sense." She had wondered where this doof of a dog would hear such sage advice; not, for once, believing he could come up with it on his own.

"Not perfection, kaizen -- improvement, aho," she corrected him, ending in a slightly gentler insult. Almost teasingly; sounding almost as if she was warming up to him.

Chidori continued. "It is a waste. That's the point. That's the resolve. Don't fail. Don't squander the effort one put in beforehand. If you can't, you didn't deserve it in the first place. --That's the way of a shinobi!" she asserted forcefully. As if to dare him to undermine a shinobi's validity, nay, the entirety of the shinobi code.

Despite her forcefulness through it all, she felt as though the dog's respect had grown in her eyes, if only just a little. When he called her out on calling him 'dog', she realized he was urging her to change that. Probably wanted her to refer to him in a more respectful way -- perhaps by name. She scoffed inwardly, as if!...

"Inu, then," Chidori suggested. "..Īe - koinu," she amended, satisfied. With which she smirked playfully at, as he left her side. His mocking 'baka' only affirmed her choice. This back-and-forth between them wasn't done yet. Though, she was amused by his use of 'baka', figuring he didn't know what it meant. It was hard to take it seriously due to that.

Anyway, he walked over to the others, signalling their discussion was currently at an end. There the newcomer drew Chidori's gaze once more, subtlety looking her over. Through years of training, the girl's eyes were more accustomed to spying things in the dark. Myrmidon's only stood out when they had other fancy skills; Chidori considered herself a shinobi above all anyway; better make use of those talents she had learned! She looked over the redhead's features, and narrowed her eyes. Then she realized ~she recognized her.. 'A wanted criminal?..'

Chidori drew in a breath, standing up. Her cut was no longer bleeding, which was good, the frigid night air freezing it shut already. With a low side glance back at the laguz she mumbled only for him, "Shinobi no jinsei wa tsuneni shi o uttaeru. ~A shinobi's life always courts death." With that as an explanation for her behavior (not that he heard it?.. or she didn't expect him to), and not one to loaf around, she moved off to train, annoyed by the moment's inertness.

Reactions: Azurian Dream

Interactions: @Luminosity @Orikanyo @Vayne @Demon Shinobi

Before Velita knew it, she had become quite popular with this group of people.

The royal looking girl had approached them and this one invited her, a complete stranger, to travel with the group to the next town over. Roland was for the idea, the unique armored boy seemed neutral yet not completely on board, and the Laguz had decided to come see who she was.

'Too much attention! Aaah!' She inwardly screamed though outwardly she did her best to stay composed.

She would have to go about everything one at a time.

"Well, thank you. I wouldn't mind, but I don't want to be dead weight. Even if it's just collecting firewood, I'd like to earn my place here. I hate being a mooch." Velita answered.

Beatrix and Roland both did have points. Knowing Khirel, he'd have searched for the next town to stay in, or he'd be sleeping in a tree somewhere with the intent to check the next town for her. They'd meet up eventually... At least she hoped they did. The least she could do was accept the possibility of travel companions. Emphasis on "possibility."

They still believed her to be a noble, and there was a chance that their demeanors would completely change once they learned she was a street rat in glittering clothing.

The next person, the Laguz, had caught her attention. Seeing his tail and big toothy grin was honestly a bit cute, but the introduction quickly became less cute as Roq tried to "conduct" himself. First through his greeting, then to the bow and how he referred to Roland as his "master."

'Ugh, Roland and this girl are another of those noble scumbags aren't they? Roland must be keeping that Laguz as his pet, or a slave and probably acts flirty and kind with everyone who's of his stupid "status." Gods, I'm screwed once they find out who I am, aren't I? Don't let it get to your head Velita. Stay calm. You can offer Roq an escape and get out.' She thought to herself.

If what she thought was true, then the least she could do was stay and travel long enough to help Roq if that were the case.

"Hey Roq? The relaxed talk and greeting is way better than the bowing, proper how-do-you-do jargon. This goes to everyone else too; no need to talk so formal if you can help it." She assured them, her eyes having met Roq's during the formal introduction, though with the last part she looked towards everyone. Velita's gaze then returned to Roq to answer his questions. "I don't have anything of his on my person, but I assume that because he's around me all the time he's got my scent on him. Would that work?"

Jorin Adelas

Jorin barely reacted as some newcomer entered camp. At this point, he was lucky to be alive, so he didn't exactly have much say here. Still, he shook his head at the cocky Eastern girl, mildly irritated at her disparaging his cooking, if only indirectly.

"Right...eating garbage counts as training. Of course. Because your foes will take the time to scoop shite into your mouth instead of just running you through." He drawled at Chidori as he flipped the grilling fish over before checking on the stew. Well, more of a thicker soup, given how little time he'd had to prepare. Still, he had enough flour to thicken it up and it would at least meet the bare minimum of his standards.

Jorin glanced back at the newcomer woman and the small crowd around her before deciding it wasn't any of his business. "One more for dinner? Should be enough so long as no one wants seconds." He grunted over towards the rest as he took a seat, gesturing over towards the grilled fish and the stew, adding a decent amount of salt and pepper to the rabbit stew for taste. The fish had already been seasoned with the same. "Food's done. Don't like it, get someone else to cook."

Campsite

Interacting with: @Vayne (Dustice), @Jessica2477 (Velita), @Psyker Landshark (Jorin)
She smiled-- at least everyone was getting along just right. They were rather tolerant of the rogue, and now the lady knight. Beatrix couldn't help but feel a little proud for their little troupe. Even Dustice, whom she had to speak with before the night was done, was not hostile towards the woman. Exhaling slightly, Beatrix's gaze softened. "Luckily for you, camp has already been set, the fire has already been kindled, and food has already been cooked, so you won't have to do anything for the time being. For now, settle down and put something in your belly," she stated in a warm voice. It was difficult to trust not one, but two newcomers, but everyone had finally moved on from the battle. As they talked, she had noticed that they were really just plain men and women that wished to get rid of the contagious darkness that had settled over the land. At this rate, they would reach their goal in no time. "My name is Beatrix Havenbrook, niece of our King Leonhardt. It's a pleasure to meet you."

With that, she offered another warm smile to the woman. She would give her name soon enough, but the knight was tired and weary. Beatrix knew it wasn't a good idea to pry, at least, for the time being. Turning around, she began to approach the fire. More and more people were gathering around it, but there was a dark-haired figure that was only dimly lit by the fire as sat by it. Dustice. She remembered his name, but she also remembered how ruthless he had been in battle. At least the Laguz had an excuse to fight like a monster, but the swordsman fought like a demon. Biting the inside of her cheek, she sat next to him by the fire. "Thank you for the food," she spoke toward the bandit momentarily, cursing herself for the fact that she still didn't know his name. Slowly, she took the smallest fish that had been roasting over the fire.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a second?" Beatrix asked Dustice with a honeyed voice. Even though she wanted to have a serious talk with him, there was no point in using a curt voice. "I... noticed that, during the battle, you were perhaps the fiercest fighter on the field. And, well, er," she stuttered as she peeled away a silver from her meat. Popping it into her mouth, she chewed it slowly. It was plain, but she wasn't going to complain. "I just haven't seen such ferocity in a while. Does it not bother you that you had to kill those men? Not even when you robbed their corpses?"

It was the latter that bothered her more than the former. Only cutthroats stripped their victims of belongings after they slaughtered them. Beatrix was taught how to have honor and integrity, and the thought of stealing from the blood made needles blossom in her stomach and fingers. She ate slowly, watching Dustice as she expected an answer.

With no desire to give the sellswords a trail to the campsite, Isra spent some time digging around in the brush, taking a less direct path back. Eventually the archer emerged from the thicket with the horse's reins in hand, leading it to the wagon with the other steeds and letting it rest for the night. When he turned to inspect the camp, however, he'd found the last thing he wanted to see after his chance encounter on the road: unexpected company.

Come to think of it, half the troupe looked like strangers at a glance: perhaps the archer had spent more time watching their weapons than he did their faces, but the distance he'd been maintaining all day wasn't helping matters. The only thing that truly tipped him off to an unfamiliar presence in the encampment was the mane of scarlet hair bathing in the campfire's warming light, but a quick once-over on approach gave validation to his suspicion: a lone traveler in heavy armor, carrying steel and being awfully friendly with strangers?

The blonde quietly took a seat near the fire, placing his palms toward the flame: all those supplies, and he'd neglected to buy gloves or anything to keep his face warm, his gaze wandering from Beatrix, to Dustice, to Roland, to Amaroq, and then settling upon Velita. As much as his discomfort with the situation show in his face, curiosity kept him calm. "The roads are lively," the archer stated in observation, "Met a few people who'd lost their friend. Said they'd been looking all over, and are worried something might've happened."

He rubbed his hands together after a moment, closing his eyes and taking in the smell of dinner.

Interactions: @Fyrra

After receiving Roq's answer and the introduction of Beatrix, Velita smiled to the girl.

"I'm Velita. Nice to meet you!"

And now, here she was sitting by the fire with her knees up against her chest and arms hugging them, her shield and lance laying beside her. She thanked the man for the meal given to her and at one taste, she couldn't help but devour the food in less than a minute. Her stomach still growled for more after this being her first meal in two days, but she ignored it; no need to look like a pig in front of these strangers. Velita simply gazed at the flickering warmth, a look of worry on her as she wondered how she would repay Beatrix for taking up a spot at their camp and where her brother could have gone.

She would have to spend the night in one of the trees and wake up early if she wanted to ensure they wouldn't kill her or try to take her back to Houndsreach, if any of them recognized her.

But what should she do about Roq? She was new and untrusted. Velita couldn't take Roq anywhere private and question him without the others becoming immediately suspicious. Would that have to wait until tomorrow?

Her stare wavered for only a moment to see who had sat down. A new person. This one held long blond hair and a style of clothing she wasn't all too familiar with, but the look he held on his face was one she had seen all too often. He mentioned the roads were lively, which had Velita perk up a little at the thought that maybe her brother was with them. But, when he said a few people who'd lost their friend, she slumped again.

"None of them looked like a manly version of me I bet." She said, 'Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.' Velita thought to herself.

Chidori Tsubasa
chidoi-png.172298

interactions: no one in particular​

"Listen up, Chidori." Came the distant -yet firm and strong voice.
"Master?.." a young lavender-haired girl responded, looking up at the man.

"There is one very important thing that marks us as shinobi. It is the one thing where all our strength stems from. Do you know what that is?"
"...?"

"Dedication. It is from this that we shinobi are strong. Not the countless hours of instruction spent drilling us, not how well we wield a sword, or move silently and swiftly. No. Dedication is the secret behind our power. From it, all other things come; increase in power. Without dedication, a shinobi has no drive, no resolve, nowhere to focus their heart. The heart is a shinobi's strength and secret weapon. Without it, we are but floundering fish, flopping uselessly on the shore. There will be times where you will question, times when the code may not make sense, times when others with their dissenting words will try to confuse you, lead you astray, my little bird. You must remain vigilant! Firm and unyielding! Break your oath, and you will see all strength you had crumble away! You must not ever forget the code. Do you understand, Chidori?"
"...Hai, sensei."

"Good! Yosh!" He threw a wooden sword to her. "Now, come Chidori, let us train!"
"Hai!"

Thwack! A sudden pain wracked her head. "Ahtitititi!" she whined, rubbing where she was whacked on the center of her forehead, a warm red mark there appearing there. "Hai, sensei."

"Dedication, is a shinobi's strength. Dedication..."
'Dedication...'

'Dedication..'

That word repeated in hushed whispers before the backdrop of master and student clashing blades.

~~~

Chidori opened her eyes, doing a handstand, feet straight up above her. Focusing, she managed to spring up, balancing on one finger. From this position, she did the splits, maintaining the pose for as much time as she could. She focused on this handstand, training her balance, that memory fresh on her mind. Dedication repeating in her mind. Revisiting the lessons of the code. Despite the cold air of a gloomy night, Chidori was warm, sweat glistening on her brow.

HyqZ6Jh.png

C A M P
Somewhere Between Copperspine and Taltfallow

Interacting with: Jessica2477 @Fyrra

Roq couldn't help but laugh a bit as he straightened up and smile at the scarlet haired beauty. "Thank the heavens for that. Trying to be proper isn't really my best skill," he said with a grin as his hands came together, fingers interlocked and resting behind his head. Then came the idea of her scent. In theory, it might be the guy she was looking for, even if it wasn't the most practical way of tracking someone. Regardless, that didn't matter as soon Chidori would also join the group.

Her actions were kind of cute in retrospect, even if he didn't agree with her little self imposed discipline ritual. She even prompt a small chuckle, albeit to himself, each time he heard her speak under her breath. Even if the chances that what she was saying was an insult, likely towards him given their previous exchange, he couldn't help it. There was something about the way she did it. Or maybe it was cause he liked the language and its differences from his own. Still, he wanted to know what she was calling him. And he wanted to know what the word baka meant. How likely was she to teach him? Probably not very.

Regardless, now wasn't the time for that. Now was the time for food, as announced by the new cook. Roq was quick to grab his portion and his fish. He sniffed at it all at first. It didn't smell bad, so that was good. Then, he decided wear to sit. He wasn't sure Chidori would appreciate his company at the moment. Ferice would probably be back soon, making time with Roland a bit of a non-starter. Beatrix called Dustice away to speak. Her voice was like honey, but there was something else in the undertone. He couldn't place it. Hmmm… he hummed before his eyes finally fell on Velita.

He smiled as he took a seat beside her by the fire. He was quick to wolf (pun intended) down his 'stew,' though not nearly as quick as Velita sucked down her own. He was impressed to say the least. Still as he shifted to his fish and sniffed it a few times a sound caused his ears to perk up. "Hmm," he glanced around the camp. He didn't say anything at first, choosing to take a bite of his fish instead. It was close, so it could have been Velita?

He tried to think about it a bit more before Isra joined the group, talking about a small run in with outside the camp. "Oh man, losing a companion sucks," Roq naively responded with a bit of a sympathetic look on his face. "It really weighs you down," he added softly. "Makes it harder to sleep, to eat…" He trailed off as it dawned on him. He took another bite of his fish. He hadn't eaten all that much of it. In fact, he'd been eating much slower than before.

The Laguz glanced at Velita again and then at the others, Chidori's little exercise briefly catching his eye. She was incredibly graceful, though her personality did make it a bit harder to enjoy her company. Wait, he wasn't staring was he? He was. It was at this moment that it occurred to him what he was doing and he snapped back to his senses.

Roq looked back at Velita. There was something about her. What was it. He sniffed at her for a moment. He could smell a faint his of Laguz on her. It wasn't prominent, so contact wasn't all that recent. A slave? No, it'd be stronger than this if that was the case. Gah, he went from staring at one woman to sniffing another. "Hey, do you want this?" he suddenly asked, offering Velita his thrice bitten fish. This was partially to help cover his behavior, but having pinpointed the sound from before and realizing what might have been the cause he couldn't just not do anything.

"I swear I've already cleaned up after battle," he said bearing much cleaner fangs than directly after combat. They were no longer stained red. "And the bites I took were small enough that it's still a good addition to a quick meal," he added as he noted most would not be willing to share with a Laguz. "I'm just a little full, and it'd suck to let this go to waste," he further explained.

Interactions: @Demon Shinobi

"Oh man, losing a companion sucks. It really weighs you down,"

Velita gave a soft, almost sad hum. 'Yeah, no kidding.' She thought to herself. She'd been able to eat because her body demanded food, but with the idea of Khirel being in trouble coming back, the heaviness in her stomach almost made her want to throw up.

She looked around the camp as well, trying to avoid eye contact with anyone since her current situation was still incredibly awkward. Velita felt like she didn't belong, and in a way, she didn't. Two nobles, a Laguz who was a pet or maybe a slave to these people, a boy-no, two people- that looked to be completely foreign, a dark and brooding bodyguard (or whatever he was), and a few others she hadn't gotten to know that well...

Velita didn't trust any of these people, and she was damn sure they didn't trust her either.

Looks like she was going to sleep in a tree tonight.

Her gaze looked around, seeing a particular tree that looked to have a really thick branch on it. It'd be a bit of a climb, but she and Khirel were used to being squirrels when they had to be. Sleeping in trees had saved their necks countless times, and Velita would ensure no one would harm her if she did so.

And if the next morning the groups' stuff was gone? Well, they couldn't blame her because she was in a tree all night!

Velita's gaze turned to Roq at the question, and the moment her eyes landed on the somewhat eaten fish, she was almost stuck in a trance. Her lips were slightly ajar, a little drop of drool threatening to fall from the corner as her mouth watered at the sight of more food. Her eyes had widened a bit, pupils dilated with a sparkle of want within them. She looked to Roq, listening to his explanation regarding the fish, then back at the fish. Almost hesitantly, she took the food from him.

"Thank you. I owe you a favor." She said, smiling gratefully at him.

Isra watched the newcomer from his place at the fire, taking his portion of the stew and giving it a slow sip. His appetite had yet to return, and while the taste of fish and hare were not unwelcome ones, mixing them together carried an odd blend: not peculiar enough for him to turn down two of his favorite foods, but enough to get his attention wandering. The archer drifted in place, taking the depressing turn of conversation in stride: were the subject even true, Isra hadn't considered that these people had lost loved ones before, so suspicious of Velita's presence was he, that he'd mentioned people searching for someone.

Of course, he'd left out the part where they were armed, and seeking their target. A dangerous person. If this person were Velita, would she not be alarmed at the casual mention of a search party?

Here, Amaroq and Velita spoke of loss, and the latter mentioned someone who looked like her. Isra glanced back over toward Velita, imagining what she must have been describing: like her, but manly. A flowing mane of blood-red hair, heavier armor, and the muscle that grew from carrying such an armored shell for seasons on end. Facial hair. Closing his eyes, the blonde pressed a finger to his forehead, before shaking his head to the negative. "Haven't seen anyone like that, but it was dark." Just as Isra started to suspect this missing, manlier knight was part of a gambit to lead someone into an ambush, the knight had dug into another helping of the stew, practically with tears in her eyes. And then she thanked Amaroq. Amaroq. Only one other person present was nice to him, and whether that person counted could spark a debate, but Velita appeared genuine.

Isra's smile was a small one, but not invisible. He offered what remain of his bowl to Velita as well, partially out of shame for his overcautious nature getting the better of him, and partially because he wasn't sure what one could say to lighten the mood. It could be worrying that the only laguz present was ignoring his own needs while giving his food up for a sollan, but for what it's worth, Amaroq's master didn't strike Isra as the type to let those in his care go hungry. Still... what was his name again?

"Amaroq," Isra spoke, "If there is anything you need, just say the word. Yveltskr is a cold place, but you are not alone here." Cue a glance toward Roland. "Not that you would be. But we're..." his gaze trailed back toward Velita, inquisitive. "We? We're your friends, too." Then, a nod toward the redhead. "That goes for you as well."

Last edited:
How many times have I been here?

Dustice always seemed to find himself transfixed to the rolling flames of a campfire, almost as if he tried to look for something beyond the warmth that licked his skin. Empty as his face seemed, the young man often observed a quiet solace in these restless times. It was the only time that he could truly come at ease, his two swords laid across his lap within their scabbards as the mercenary opted to stop the rumbling of his stomach. The sounds of nightfall were muffled by the scatterbrained conversation around him, of which he seldom listened to.

His eyes would only momentarily remove themselves from the fire to give a brief nod to Isra for their return before gazing back into the coals below. Dustice's ears perked at the words of their domesticated creature, his teeth grinding together as his expression reflected a mix of pained offense. What fitting words for beasts who exist only to take from others.

He couldn't bear to continue peering into the campfire as the memory surfaced into his thoughts, quickly finding a means of pushing the imagery back into the depths of his heart without compromise. The share of food in his hands felt heavier, his appetite waning greatly as Dustice took two mighty mouthfuls before finishing without much satisfaction. His eyes finally rose in a sideways glance to meet the others' discussion, looking between the two newcomers and their original cast. He sighed at the thought of their group's 'friendship', unconvinced about the premise as the mercenary took both of his swords and suddenly stood up.

"I'm going for a walk," melancholy weighed on his voice as Dustice raised a hand up to his head, bringing his hair down from its usual higher style. He turned from the group, affixing the weapons to his person and strolling into the perimeter of midnight. It's only better for everyone else if there's no strings attached between me and them. At least, they wouldn't have to die because of me. He would not make that same mistake again.

Under the Moonlight
Collaboration with Luminosity

All she received in reply was the bustling chatter of their companions. Dustice stated that he was going for a walk, and Beatrix watched him as he walked away from the fireside. She furrowed a brow, frustration bubbling within her as she lifted herself from her seat. Setting her food to the side, she sighed. "I'll make sure he doesn't get eaten," she told the rest of them before trailing after the swordsman. She caught up to him quickly, reaching out to tap him on the shoulder. "Dustice," she muttered. "I don't think you heard my question about the bandits... why did you slaughter them so? And why did you rob them of their coin?"

Her voice wasn't firm or cold, but it was serious enough to let him know that she wanted to discuss the topic. "Don't you think that the gold should have gone to the merchants? Or maybe even someone else who needs it more than you?"

The mercenary was caught unaware as Dustice let out a small sound of surprise, turning to meet the voice of Beatrix. Masked in moonlight, his hair hung down like curtains over his forehead, a storm brewing within the gray eyes behind them. "What's it to you?" his arms crossed together over his chest, giving the noble a dry look. "The dead have no use for coin, and I
do, Beatrix Havenbrook. Not like you'd understand."

Beatrix blinked at Dustice's hostilty. He certainly didn't seem happy with her approach, much less her questions. Clearing her throat, she stood straighter as she pushed a loose strand of hair out of her face. "I did not mean to boil your blood. But you must understand that I am concerned over our party's... morals. The merchants had more need for the coin than you do. And what will people think if they believe we're a lot of cold-blooded killers?" she told him. "All I'm asking is for you to be more discrete. You're working for the crown, now, so try and act more accordingly."

"Says the wench who brought a bandit into our righteous band," his expression grew toxic over her hypocritical lecture, spitting off to the side as Dustice scowled at Beatrix. "Tell that to all of my friends who died fighting your war for you. I could give less of a shit about your precious morals."

A deep exhale fumed from his nose, his hand waving in dismissal. "My cause for coin is worth more than some noble pride. The heavens can piss all over my grave if it means I can save her."

She didn't know what else she could tell him. It was obvious that Dustice wasn't going to listen to her. Despite the annoyance she felt, Beatrix was surprised by his determination. His last couple of words peaked her interest. "Her? Who are you talking about? Who are you trying to save?" she asked him.

His tongue clicked as the male sighed loudly, closing his eyes. I've said too much. Dustice shook his head with a curse, turning away from Beatrix and disappearing into the darkness. "Make like a Bee, and buzz off."

Chidori Tsubasa
chidoi-png.172298

interactions: no one in particular​

Her arm began to shake, teeth clenching. She had alternated to her other arm, and had practiced moving her body this way and that, legs this way and that. But now her strength was failing her, and a growl from her stomach alerted her to her boy's internal strife. "Tch~" she clicked her teeth in irritation; something about ending training always annoyed her, something about 'babying' her body annoyed her. Why did it need to eat?? Why did it get cold? Why couldn't she just do that back walkover, backwards aerial cartwheel, double back-flip form? Master had performed it perfectly! And his body wasn't as aerodynamically designed as hers! Chikushō!

"Ma ii ka, sinpai naiyo." She mused, leaning 'forward' with her back, and elegantly touching with her feet to flip to a standing up right position. She wasn't too worried. She'd master the movements within time, she was sure of it! Dedication was all she required.

Walking away from the spot she had trained in, she spotted two people talking -- the noble lady, and the merc who used swords. Chidori narrowed her eyes at him, but then raised her eyebrow at their bewildering conversation, which she only somewhat overheard. The air there was tense, leaving her feeling disconcerted. However, it didn't appear to be any business of hers, so she moved right along.

Another bothersome growl of her stomach later, and she had rejoined the group by the fire, cross sitting on a log, just a bit away, so that she was lit, but also cast in shadow.

Staring uneasily down at the bowl of stew in her lap, she sighed. It struck Chidori as improper to eat this food that wasn't hers, but.. It seemed it was to be so, considering it was made with the group in mind.

"Itadakimasu~" Chidori voiced to herself, slurping a spoonful. "Wakkateru." Yep. The first 'bite' tasted bad. Sighing, she set the spoon back in the bowl. Undeserved food always had a bitter taste. Regardless, she powered through, filling her belly as was needed.

Campsite

Interacting with: @Vayne (Dustice)
Beatrix watched as Dustice melted into the shadows. She watched him as he disappeared, a worrying frown crossing over her lips. Who did he want to save? His sister? Friend? Lover? Shaking her head, she turned away from the darkness and headed back to the campfire. The very least she could do was try and swallow a few more mouthfuls. Something told her that they had a long day ahead of them.

Outskirts of Taltfallow
Yveltskr

Interacting with: @Fyrra (Isra), @Vayne (Dustice), @Demon Shinobi (Roq), @Thaleko (Chidori), @Psyker Landshark (Jorin), @Jessica2477 (Velita)
They had woken up bright and early. After breaking their fasts with some meat jerky and some eggs someone had gathered from the forest, they were once again on the move. Beatrix was at the forefront of their group, with Dustice to her left and Jorin to her right. They only had enough horses for the original members of the party, and so the bandit and lady knight had to walk on foot for now. She wasn't sure where the crimson-haired woman was positioned, but she wasn't on edge about her. Instead, Beatrix had asked Jorin to walk near the front so she could keep a good eye on him. They weren't traveling too fast, so the people that did walk on foot had no problem keeping up. Sighing, she gave Jorin a half-wary-half-weary look before letting her eyes drift towards the road.

The earth had grown more craggy in some spots, and in the distance one could see snow-capped mountains that seemed to want to pierce the sun. They were no longer trekking upon muddy soil, but firm and flat land. The road had also narrowed a considerable amount as they traveled. Around them, the trees began to show more life, and here and there she could see evergeen trees and their dark, bristly branches. But in front of them lay Taltfallow and a sea of pine and oak known as the Ebonwood.

Taltfallow bore neither walls nor guards; it was a hardy hunting town whose inhabitants knew how to fend for themselves. Their troupe had a smooth transition from open road to the edge of Taltfallow. Beatrix led them to the rickety-looking stables that smelled of mold and humidity.

"I'll take care of the horses. Y'all go ahead and get what you need to get ya through the Ebonwood," Pascal told them in his usual drawl. "Meanwhile, I'll see if they got any horses fer sale. Y'know, fer the two newcomers."

Beatrix dismounted before nodding up at the man. "Thanks, Pascal. We won't be gone for too long."

She led everyone deeper into the large town. Beatrix had heard of Taltfallow and how it was always bustling at this time of year; the townsfolk trapped many types of animals and gathered all types of fur from both common and uncommon beasts in order to prepare themselves for the long winter months. But now, she was lucky to see two or three people floating around the stalls and wooden houses. They were pale and thin and gave her and everyone else in her party cold, dangerous looks.

Strange... usually there'd be more people out and about. And the stores look empty of meats and furs as well... Beatrix slowed her pace as she walked towards a young woman whose hair was wild and her dress in tatters. "Hail! We wish to cross the Ebonwood and are in need of some supp--"

"The Ebonwood?" the woman answered. Her voice was light and full of something she couldn't quite place. "You wish to cross the Ebonwood?"

Beatrix tripped her head to the side. "Yes? We must get to Noranimus. We are at the behest of King Leonhardt, and--"

"All who enter the Ebonwood never return!" the woman wailed as she pointed at them. "Step foot in there and perish!"

She took a step back, deterred by the woman's cries. Now that she looked closer, the girl's eyes were sunken in, her skin pale, and her wrists were bony. She's starving... but why? They have a forest full of food quite literally at their doorstep...

Before Beatrix could say anything, a man rushed from his place near a stall. He too was thin, but his hair was somewhat well-kept and had bright, expressive eyes. "Tanya, what are you doing? Mother told you to stay home," he said, grabbing the girl by her arm and pulling her close to him. It was then that he turned towards them. "I'm sorry for my sister's behavior. We've... Taltfallow has fallen on hard times, and we seldom are able to get any food from the Ebonwood. Everyone's trying to make due-- at least, the ones who chose to stay here."

"Stay here? What has happened? Isn't the Ebonwood filled with animals to hunt? Why has Taltfallow been left behind by her people?"

"There is something in the Ebonwood. It has killed much of the men in the town, leaving behind wives and children and mothers and sisters... we can't even hunt for food. We've even lost contact with Redstall, and it's not even far off from here. At this point, only fools wish to cross the Ebonwood. If you value your lives, then take the Silvertongue to get to Noranimus."

"The Silvertongue?" Beatrix shook her head. The mountain range to the east wasn't a large one, but crossing it would take them a month while crossing the Ebonwood might take two days at most. "We must reach Whitespire posthaste. We have no time to cross the mountains."

The young man's features hardened. "Then I'm not sure what to tell you. I have no right to prevent you from entering the Ebonwood, but you've been warned. I said the same thing to the two others went into it earlier--"

"Others?"

"The first was a man with long locks of brown hair and golden markings on his face. Had yellow eyes that glowed like a god's. Real strange fella, but we couldn't convince him, not even for a moment. Seemed like he had a death wish, that one. He kept asking about the Ebonwood's terrain, what sort of creatures dwell there, and so forth, but when we told him about the thing he was only more intent on going. The other had red hair-- much like that lass that's with you."

Beatrix glanced over her shoulder at Velita. The man had to be talking about her brother. But why would he go into the Ebonwood if he was warned not to? Did he have to go to Noranimus, or to Brinespire? "Thank you for your help, kind sir."

After the siblings drifted away, she turned to the rest of them. Her azure gaze swept over their numbers. What could be waiting for them in the forest? A beast? It had to be. What else could prevent people from even stepping foot in there? "We have to cross the Ebonwood," she told them sternly, as if she had to convince even herself. "Stay close to one another. Don't let anyone out of your sights. If anything happens and someone attacks you, call for help. If someone wanders off, call for help. Understand me?"

It was quite obvious how worried Beatrix was. The bandit attack was one thing, but this was a life-or-death situation. She didn't even know if they were fighting against bloodthirsty men or a pack of wyverns. Something told her they were up against something worse than either of those.

Last edited:

Interactions:

Velita had awoken early with the group, forcing herself up from the comfortable bark of the tree to get herself ready for the traveling before her. She didn't get a chance to do too much talking to Roq, but she would get the chance sooner or later. For now, she'd be kind and cautious until they could get to Khirel.

After hunting and getting some breakfast, the knight walked alongside the group, holding the straps to her shield and lance like a backpack. She yawned, a tear in the corner of her eye due to the sleepiness of today still being present. Velita didn't mind walking honestly; Being born and raised where she was, she'd never received the chance to get on a horse. Being given a chance to ride one, though exciting, Velita wouldn't be able to maneuver it. If they were suspicious of her not being a noble, then this was the way to catch her.

For now, she enjoyed her walk, softly humming to herself to keep her spirits up.

She walked with the group into Taltfallow, her eyes gazing over the new environment. It was different; so much so than she usually saw. Velita almost wished they could stay a little longer so she could enjoy the view a little more, but this wasn't an outing with her friends. She didn't need to be reminded that this was a group of strangers that only agreed to help her find her brother.

Velita, at the mention of Pascal going to find horses for the newcomers, wanted to speak up for him not to worry about her but Bea spoke before her.

Great.

The group received cold looks, but Velita ignored them. Being treated like an animal for so long made her immune to dirty looks.

She walked further with Bea until they reached near Ebonwood. Honestly, she hadn't really been listening until they mentioned a man with hair as red as hers that walked into the forest.

She instantly perked up.

'Khirel? In Ebonwood? Why?!' She asked herself, though there was only one way to find out.

"Right, got it. Dead or alive, I want to find my brother... And thanks for everything." The last part she told the group. Should she die, she wanted them to at least know that she was grateful for what they've done.

???
Interactions: @Luminosity @Jessica2477 @Thaleko @Fyrra @Vayne @Demon Shinobi @Psyker Landshark
"If your gunna go into dem woods little girl I'll be joinin ya all," a rather gruff voice called to the group clearly already dead set on going in as he was at the entrance of the woods. The figure in question was a old man seemingly burly as he was covered in a massive bear fur rug. His hair was long, brown, matted down by old age, and clearly extreme contact with mud more likely during a hunting trip rather recent. His shoulders were broad, and his back slouched as it was clear at full height this man probably would appear a beast himself. Whatever tool of trade he was planning on using was hidden in his bear fur. His face was also completed hidden yet as old as he did appear a imposing figure he truly was as he watched the group.

"To many children have been made fatherless, to much innocent blood taken unnecessarily. Theres huntin, and then theres just plan old murder," the man spoke turning his eyes from Beatrix to Velita. She had said clearly her brother was what she was after that was enough to make her sense heightened, and her spirit strong. She had a reason to live to thus caution would still be in her blood of direction. With a nod of understanding with the red head the gruff old man turned to the group.

"If your calling for Whitespire, post haste you will have to challenge what plagues the families of their patriarchs. All skilled hunters, all strong willed to feed their families... all gone," the gruff man spoke with remorse as he turned away from them, and started to head into the forest. Whatever his take was in this it was clear nothing would sway him from it. Whether or not he had backup he would dive into the depths to avenge those left behind along with those lost. It was clear... there was a vendetta here.

Reactions: Thaleko
Chidori Tsubasa
chidoi-png.172298

interactions: @Luminosity

She had woken up early -earlier than anyone else, as usual, just before the crack of dawn. She spent the early mornings training, like always; that's how the rest of the group found her when they woke, before they all went along on their merry way. Today though, Chidori was a bit tired out.. Maybe she should've just slept in.. No, no, no. She shook her head, 'Dedication', repeating in her mind. Right! Dedication!

They carried along, the scenery changing. The ground was tougher, a forest with pines and oaks, mountains off in the distance, viewable over the treeline. And a humble little hunting town. This is was their current destination. At the stables, Chidori gave Azure an Sapphire gentle pats. "Rest up well, Azure-san, Sapphire-san."

"Cya, Pascal," she said to the horsehand, giving him a salute before following the others.

Chidori noticed the air about the town. Lack of goods and food. Distrusting, forlorn glances. A lack of chatter and common merriment. Heavy feeling in the air. Downcast citizenry. Something was going on here. This got her heart racing, but why?

They came upon a local that Beatrix decided to talk to. Her hysterical shouting about the Ebonwood made Chidori raise her eyebrow. What a nutjob. Then it came out. Something was killing the villagers. Something hidden away in the forest, that had made it its home.. Some sort of wild beast??

Although Chidori had been taught to not underestimate the situation, she didn't really put too much stock into what a group of scared, pathetic peasants had to say. -What did they know anyway? Nothing! Soon she'd remedy that, and once she began to get recognized, no one would wallow in fear about these type of things anymore! Yes, yes.. Once her name was out there, they'd all just call on their 'hero' Chidori to help! Perfect! Ooooh~ It excited her so! The little swordswoman couldn't help but giggle in place, pink in the cheeks.

Suddenly, Chidori had a bright idea! This was why her heart was racing! "Oi! Oi! Bossu! Boss lady, oi!" the short swordswoman cried out, trotting up to the front of the ground, placing her before Beatrix. "Say. These poor folk are being tormented by some sort of wild monster in there. I think we should hunt it down!"

If they did that.. "Before you say, no, listen! This'll help us too, boss lady! If we rescue these poor people, rumors about our heroic deed will be sure to spread!" She glanced around, "Our group is a hodgepodge of people from many places, some... unscrupulous." She turned back to beam up at Beatrix. "See? If we do this, then people all over will hear about us!! They'll welcome us with open arms! Be more inclined to show us favorable hospitality! Slaying whatever monster is in there will only be good for our little group of misfits! -I mean I'll take the killing blow, obviously.." she added softly at the end, a lil blush on her cheeks, kicking the dirt sheepishly. "..Only makes sense.. I'm the quickest.. But! It'll be a group effort! Our reputation will skyrocket!" She perked up, placing her hands upon her hips, puffing up. "So?! Great idea, isn't it?! Go on, you can say so! I know you're thinking it! Tsubasa Chidori can have great ideas, too! Ho ho ho~!"