Fire Emblem: Exalted March (Beorc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Come in, please have a sit."
The first thing Rae did upon entering was spin around to look at the room. "I've heard stories of this place," she whispered lazily, almost to herself "Somehow I thought there'd be more books." But her eyes were taking every detail, checking every shadow, scanning every shelf and corner. It was foolish to think that there would be anything here to harm either herself or the King this deep in his own residence, but if there was and she failed to look she would be a dead fool.

It was then that her eyes fell on the King and his state of dress, or lack thereof. Seriously? She raised an eyebrow in surprise, but that was her only expression. She had heard a few stories before, things she thought were a joke or exaggeration meant to awe raw recruits, she never actually put much stock in them, but now she was glad that they had reached her ears. His state of half nudity didn't bother her so much as did the fact that this was supposed to be her King. She had seen men in various state of undress in the midst of battle preparation. At a time like that there was always more concern with the men being ready and keeping their comrades alive then there was with a simple thing like modesty. After a moment she was able to remember that King was only a title, and beneath the title he was only a man. A man who needed a bath just like every other. She was certain he had been bathing, the water gave it away.

It occurred to her then that this whole thing might actually be at least partly her own fault. She had arrived either far earlier or considerably later that he had originally anticipated. unless . . . Her mind flicked back to the brief moment where she had seen that predatory look in his eye upon their first meeting. Could he be testing her? Surly not! But still, better to consider the possibility.

From there she made her way to the bench, stride slightly bowlegged, stepping over the bench instead of around. She raised one hand to the pin on her cloak, letting the fur lined, thick wool cloth fall to drape over the seat before she sat in a single fluid motion, kicking one leg up so her knee rested on top of the other. There were signs of wear on her thigh high boots, scuffs and places where the leather had started to rub thin with the time rubbing against the saddle. They were well cared for otherwise.
Her back she kept straight, her posture perfect, though she did lean slightly as if reclining against the back of a chair that wasn't there. Her hands came to rest gracefully in her lap, the blue leather of her gloves protecting her skin from being pinched as the armor that covered her arms shifted.
It was second nature to take that pose, years of being in an airborne saddle had taught it to her. It never occurred to her that the pose itself displayed a certain level of confidence. Confidence she normally had, just not with this man. The teeth marks that were still on her lip proved that, though she had managed to make herself stop biting it before entering.

"We have much to discuss, but I must first ask that what is said in this room--stays in this room. There have been many words passed around in here--more than the contents of the numerous volumes you see around you."
"Of course, Sire," she answered, though she felt her heart skip a beat at the mention of a closed conference, "Many have died rather then betray your secrets." It didn't occur to her until after the words left her lips that there was a double meaning in the phrase. Especially since it was because of a death that she had been brought to the King's notice in the first place. Oh well, there words had been said, the damage had been done, there was no taking them back now.

"Miss Mirabelle, would kindly fetch us something to drink? We're...going to be here a while I feel."
"Right away your lordship."

Rae looked at him for a moment, allowing her mind to register his state of undress, his well built form. Perhaps he was testing her after all. Was there a way she could be sure? Perhaps. It was worth a tray at least. Taking a deep breath she spoke.
"Please pardon the inconvenience seeing me has caused, Sire. Had your servants not held me when I first arrived you might have ended up receiving me from your bath, though I have heard such has happened before. If you are uncomfortable I can, of course, return once you have finished dressing?"

She allowed her eyes to scan him then. Looking, not as a woman does at a man, but as an elder sister might at a brother who was lazing about.
Rae smiled slightly, She might not be able to play this game as well as so many others, but at least she knew the game existed.

IconRemus_zps916778e3.jpg

"I've heard stories of this place, somehow I thought there'd be more books."
He heard the comment pass from her lips, though he pretended not to. It wasn't that he was angry over it. Oh no. He found the statement quite humorous. It was the fact he was evaluating her, so he couldn't very well break the silence just yet. While it seemed his eyes were on the document, Remus was very adept at using his peripheral vision to spy, and otherwise seem completely aloof and unassuming. At times it was quite vital to seem unaware of what someone may be thinking, plotting or provocative attacks. Many had found it remarkable the resourcefulness, and sheer tenacity Remus could display at a moment's notice. He could be has brutal and savage any barbarian, but he too could be as courtly and chivalrous as any knight.

From her entry, she was looking for traps or hidden devices. Anything that may cause bodily harm to her lord king. Her eyes had fallen over the many books, all he had read, and some he had hollowed out to hide important transcripts. He doubted she'd be able to tell without touching them--but that's what this meeting was over. A more 'cordial' and enduring meeting. It was true she was placed to service him in light of recent developments, but they had never really sat down and...talked. As a king, he could not abide that. It was important to know as many people as you could. You never knew who would eventually turn into an enemy, or who could become an ally.

His eyes were saccadic in movement and life. Rapidly 'jerking' as he supposedly red over the forms. In truth, he was reading HER over. Her arching eyebrow giving him credible insight into her minds thoughts. There was no such thing as a mind reader. Simply, people who observed closely the behaviors and and mannerisms of others that gave away their thoughts. She was more than likely, questioning his state of dress wondering why he was half undressed, but then also wondering if he WERE testing her and that she should definitely make sure. Now all he had to do was wait for the question to arise.

That wasn't all however, she was clad most assumingly because she may have thought he meant to send her on an errand--or--that she wasn't comfortable without it on. He believed the latter, for the wear on her armor was particular, but not particularly bad in itself. She was bowlegged, so that told him she spent a lot of time on her Pegasi "Marko". Be it for past time or work. It told him she was dedicated. Even when she sat down, she did so befitting a rider; back straight, but slightly leaned forwards and her hands in her lap as if she had invisible reigns to hold. Indeed, she was a very confident woman.

However...she was nervous. She was like her steed. Probably sensing that all was not as it seemed to be with him. She would be right in that aspect at least.

"We have much to discuss, but I must first ask that what is said in this room--stays in this room. There have been many words passed around in here--more than the contents of the numerous volumes you see around you." He said with a smile while twirling a finger, finally putting the documents down on the table in front of her.

"Of course, Sire," She replied curtly. "Many have died rather then betray your secrets."

Well, she was certainly honest. He mine as well be the same.

"You have no idea how right you are, lady Rae." He had taken notice of their earlier interaction where he had used her full name "Raymond". She tensed. She didn't like being called Raymond and it was obvious why--her father had intended to have sons, not daughters.

"Miss Mirabelle, would kindly fetch us something to drink? We're...going to be here a while I feel."
"Right away your lordship." The chambermaid responded, bowing and leaving the two alone.

"Please pardon the inconvenience seeing me has caused, Sire. Had your servants not held me when I first arrived you might have ended up receiving me from your bath, though I have heard such has happened before. If you are uncomfortable I can, of course, return once you have finished dressing?"

There it was. He had been waiting for that.

Remus looked himself over, holding his lean arms out slightly before glancing back over to Rae. "Am I too distracting for you lady Rae? I thought kings were supposed to be charismatic." He chuckled, seating himself in the leather upholstered chair.

The way he sat was commanding despite his rebuttal. Arms lain out over the arms of the chair, fingers over lapping the edges. One leg folded neatly across the other.

"I'm fine though, I thank you for your consideration and while it might have been fun if you arrived while I was bathing--this was around the time I was wanting anyways. I had been sparring another noble int the courtyard," His mind switched to him holding a bloody rapier and then back again. "I worked up quite a sweat." He resumed without even pausing.

"I bathed then I became so engrossed in writing--a passion of mine. One of very few that allow me to relax."

Mirabelle returned with the drinks. Dark, full bodied wine with a remarkably robust flavor. She handed one glass to each of them, and with a "thank you", again left to be.

"I know your curious as to why I brought you here this evening, and I thank you for coming." He spoke, again he was the statesmen, not the joker. He took a sip of the wine and placed it on a small table next to him.

"I'd like to start off by saying I understand your father has put me in your charge in lieu of recent events." Remus inhaled deeply, leaned forwards and pressed his finger tips together. " I have the highest respect for your father. He's a smart man and a damn good general. That said, he isn't a politician. Wars aren't waged by generals--they are fought with them. Hopes. Dreams. The will of any one man, woman, or child can not be simply snuffed out with a sword or a spear. Words are quite possibly, the most damaging things we own. It symbolizes what we feel. I can use a sword to scare a man, I can use it to kill him--but I can use my words, to break the wills of hundreds, thousands."

Again he deeply inhaled, and leaned back in his chair and that would be the moment she would truly see a king. His eyes would no doubt let his words sink in.

"I have no doubt in my mind, that you are not blind lady Rae. But there are things occurring--even at this very minute," He pressured one arm by lightly 'jabbing' it with his finger. "That you simply, can not see yet. Not yet. I hope you will allow me to remedy that. Because as long as you swing a sword blindly, you will never hit your mark. But I will be frank, and I will be honest; some of the things I say may disgust you. They may you angry. They may even make you doubt me. But that's okay. Be angry. Be disgusted and doubt me as much as you will. But understand, that is what means to truly be a king. You are as much a part of this kingdom as those out on the streets, the farmers, the merchants. I am her to be hated, loved, feared and glorified. A kings duty is to live up to his people's expectations. Be them good or bad. I will tell you that my hands are steeped in blood, but its okay with me because I have long since given myself over to the needs of the people. My salvation is required, but their protection is. I will be God and I will be a devil, I'll be heaven and I will be hell--but I will protect my people."

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, this boy's enthusiasm wasn't the sort that would die down, not even when chided by his, presumably, "betters". Even if his skills were, uh, extremely lacking, perhaps he had some kind of hidden talent of some sort that could be harnessed. Or, at the very least, he'd be good cannon fodder to throw into the fray when no one else can do. In response to the comment by the fellow swordsman, he only smiled wider, and sheathed his sword, saying, "I'd rather burn hot than freeze. And as for a practice fight? Of course. I'll be coming with, now. Since you said you'd do that."

This, apparently, was not up for debate, at all, as Ni'assus offered up his hand for Annto to clasp as some sign of greeting. He looked like he came from the Republic, hence his relative lack of respect for the grand traditions of monarchy. That, and he looked to be of a slightly lower-class bent. All of this contributed to a young man that seemed rather unfettered by authority, or by common sense.

Who knows where this grand trail would take them, but doubtlessly, it would end in him learning a hell of a lot more about himself, and a hell of a lot more about his own personal desire.

"Am I too distracting for you lady Rae? I thought kings were supposed to be charismatic."
"I'm fine though, I thank you for your consideration and while it might have been fun if you arrived while I was bathing--this was around the time I was wanting anyways. I had been sparring another noble in the courtyard,I worked up quite a sweat."
"I bathed then I became so engrossed in writing--a passion of mine. One of very few that allow me to relax."

"There is no need to explain yourself to me, Sire," Rae said calmly. His teasing reaction had given her everything she need to know. This was a test of some sort. If she had truly inconvenienced him the words would have been different. The topic would have been quickly brushed aside, there would have been no chuckle or amusement, and he certainly never would have mentioned the writing. It was not her business what he wrote, should not be her business.

The servant was back again, handing over a glass of wine. Rae set hers aside. She could hold her liquor, and one glass would hardly cause her a problem, but she wanted her king to know she was sober and clear headed. She had on occasion pretended to be drunk to get answers, but this was not the time for such a game, and this was not a man she wanted to play it with.

"I know your curious as to why I brought you here this evening, and I thank you for coming."
"I'd like to start off by saying I understand your father has put me in your charge in lieu of recent events. I have the highest respect for your father. He's a smart man and a damn good general. That said, he isn't a politician. Wars aren't waged by generals--they are fought with them. Hopes. Dreams. The will of any one man, woman, or child can not be simply snuffed out with a sword or a spear. Words are quite possibly, the most damaging things we own. It symbolizes what we feel. I can use a sword to scare a man, I can use it to kill him--but I can use my words, to break the wills of hundreds, thousands."

Rae waited as he paused. Shifting on the bench to sit, as she so often instructed Pegasus rider trainees, "on her pockets". She understood what he was saying all too well. Words could break a heart or mend fences, and while not easy to wield wisely, could change the course of nations. Was that not was treaties of peace or declarations of war were? words?
Besides, she could think of a single word that could destroy her entire life.
Branded.

"I have no doubt in my mind, that you are not blind lady Rae. But there are things occurring--even at this very minute, that you simply, can not see yet. Not yet. I hope you will allow me to remedy that. Because as long as you swing a sword blindly, you will never hit your mark. But I will be frank, and I will be honest; some of the things I say may disgust you. They may you angry. They may even make you doubt me. But that's okay. Be angry. Be disgusted and doubt me as much as you will. But understand, that is what means to truly be a king. You are as much a part of this kingdom as those out on the streets, the farmers, the merchants. I am here to be hated, loved, feared and glorified. A kings duty is to live up to his people's expectations. Be them good or bad. I will tell you that my hands are steeped in blood, but its okay with me because I have long since given myself over to the needs of the people. My salvation is required, but their protection is. I will be God and I will be a devil, I'll be heaven and I will be hell--but I will protect my people."

He may have desired her to see a king, but as he spoke what was becoming clearer and clearer to her was that he was in fact nothing more than a man. A man of great intelligence of grace, and good looks, but a man none-the-less. One who carried a great burden it seemed. For the first time since meeting him she understood. She was beginning to see what her father saw. A part of what lay beneath the mask. A man born into a position few should be allowed and many desired, who truly cared about the responsibility that had been forced on him. Perhaps her father was right, and he truly was a man worth dying for. Well, there was only one way to find out.

Raising her arm, in a single swift motions Rae pulled a long thin dagger from behind her left vambrace, and she spun it in her hand to hold it out to the King narrow hilt first. His people really needed to check their own better. She had another, smaller blade, strapped to the inside of her left thigh beneath her boot, but he didn't need to know that.

"I am a lancer, Your Grace. This is the closest thing to a sword I will ever wield. It, like my lance, is yours to command." Her full name was etched into the blade on one side, on the other was what appeared to be a sprig of bluebells. Despite the ornate design the blade, while well kept, bore signs of use.
"And If I may be frank, Sire, I must respectfully disagree with your earlier comment. It is not a King's duty to meet expectations. It is a King's duty to govern his people in whatever manner is best for them, regardless of what that might require. The meeting of expectations - that is for the history books. You will be whatever you believe you have to be, and I will do what I must to ensure you live to become it."

Rae wondered for a moment if she had gone too far, but he had given her permission to dislike what he said, she could only presume that in this setting, where it was his obvious intention to talk, that he also had meant for her to voice that dislike.

After a long moment she spoke again, "If I may ask, Sire, Do you intend to join the hunting party or not? If we delay our departure many more days we will arrive late." Only once that question was voiced did she reach for her wine.

When she reached for the dagger, didn't move, he didn't flinch--he didn't even question her motives or intent. Here a king was, her king. Half naked, and unarmed. Between them a fire roared, casting many shadows on the walls playing trickery on the eyes by blending the shadows and creating new ones. If ever there were a time for an assassination attempt, a coup d'etat--now was surely it, right? But the young ruler's eyes never swayed, never faltered from their lock on Rae's glowing face. Even as she presented the dagger from the inside of the guard that protected her forearm--a sign of intent to some in power and afraid to lose it--He didn't reach for the poker near the fire place. He was.not.afraid.

Those blue-purple eyes, spelled out the bitter coldness of space, as much as the beauty and majesty of it. But he wasn't looking at her in a cold way. No. Here was one with whom, he could possibly trust himself with. He legacy, his secrets--his confessions. Leaning forwards with one arm, he graciously accepted the weapon--and her words.

"I am a lancer, Your Grace. This is the closest thing to a sword I will ever wield. It, like my lance, is yours to command." She stated whilst he did not tarry, he gave the weapon a thorough examination.

"And If I may be frank, Sire," He gave her a subtle nod. "There is no other way to guard yourself against flattery than by making men understand that telling you the truth will not offend you." He retorted.

"
I must respectfully disagree with your earlier comment. It is not a King's duty to meet expectations. It is a King's duty to govern his people in whatever manner is best for them, regardless of what that might require. The meeting of expectations - that is for the history books. You will be whatever you believe you have to be, and I will do what I must to ensure you live to become it."

"Rule indeed, my young rider." Remus seconded that. "But there's much more to ruling than some would have you believe."

He twirled the knife betwixt his fingers with a level of adeptness that few could ever grasp. One that left no marks, yet even it would see that it were in an unusable position--could turn like a viper and strike. The blade shimmered and the gloss of polished ivory held a sheen to it. It was a very fine weapon. If used correctly, it may have even been deadlier than a sword. Swords you could see. They weren't usually the problem. It was the hidden blades that could come from anywhere, at any angle--at any time.

Most in this world would have you see this position from the view of a crown and sitting upon a fancy chair. But fancy seats and gem encrusted hats, don't make a kings rule last any longer. Its what you do while your on the throne and wearing the crown. I've learned a few simple truths one being the promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present.It ought to be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new. This coolness arises partly from fear of the opponents, who have the laws on their side, and partly from the incredulity of men, who do not readily believe in new things until they have had a long experience of them."

Once he finished, he was silent a moment or so more and then rose to his feet before her."Pegasus rider Raymond Lawarence, you may rise." He dictated.

It wasn't a question of if. Her king had issued an order for her to stand. When she did, he would collect one of her hands, wrapping her calloused fingers around the hilt. He would press the tip of the blade somewhat roughly to his breast. A small flowing of blood emerged, nothing that had him flinching or hissing and it definitely was NOT life threatening.

"Understand this; Hatred can be earned through good deed as well as evil ones. I place your hand here in hopes, that it may find its mark should I stray the course I have long set for myself--to rule Frelia and protect her people at all cost. But know this, sometimes I may have to be more of a monster than you may like to see. More of a monster than any out there in the world. At times, I will be cruel. I will be cold. And I will be calloused. These things I assure you. Raymond Lawrence. I don't need a 'yes man'. I need someone who may openly ask, or even disagree with me--but will obey me should the time call for it. With the blood on this knife, I hereby instill you as my personal protector and guardian."

The king of Frelia stepped back, showing the small wound which was still bleeding. "I thank you."

"If I may ask, Sire, Do you intend to join the hunting party or not? If we delay our departure many more days we will arrive late." She would quietly question.

"We leave out tomorrow morning, sleep well...lady Rae." He smiled softly, changing back to the playful man he was.

He turned to walk away, but stopped with his back to her. "Oh, and that lip biting thing you do when you're nervous around me? It's quite cute. I noticed your lips--that's why I am saying such. Well, have a good night then." He resumed his saunter, going over to the window and stand there, looking out with his hands behind his back.

• Love
Reactions: Falcon
He ordered her to stand and she did so.
He took her hand and she allowed it.
He wrapped her fingers around her own blade and she accepted it,
and he pressed that blade to his breast and she did not flinch back.

He may have handed her the blade, but here and now he was the one in control and they both knew it. She heard his words, she understood his words, and she believed his words.
He spoke of cruelty, but cruelty was defined solely by a person's definition of where the line between right and wrong lay and how far a person crossed over it combined with the reasoning and motive for the action. At the moment Rae seriously doubted that the man had ever done anything that she personally would call cruel.
And if he had- it was not her place to judge. Men had called her father cruel for what he had done on the battlefield, and yet the man had kept her, raised her, loved her, when many would have thrown her out. Women had called her cruel when she was too blunt with her opinions, but those opinions had bloomed with a disgust for their blatant dishonesty. Was it cruel to kill to protect your home? Was it cruel to be honest with your thoughts? to some, yes, for others, no.
She understood what he was trying to say. She took the warning to heart, but she had no words with which to comfort him, nor did she thing he would accept them if she did. So Rae only nodded, clear blue eye briefly closed, to convey that she both understood and accepted what he was asking.

"I thank you."
She voiced her question then.
"We leave out tomorrow morning, sleep well...lady Rae."
"Oh, and that lip biting thing you do when you're nervous around me? It's quite cute. I noticed your lips--that's why I am saying such. Well, have a good night then."

She began to walk from the room at his dismissal of her, but at those last words she paused in the doorway. Now that, right there, had to stop.
"For the record, Sire, my lips are not yours to notice." The words were said softly, but she knew he heard them.

She did sleep well, once she was back in her own room among her own things, safely in her own bed, And she was up well before the sun the next morning.
Rae triple checked all the preparations, all the supplies, all the maps, everything she could think of. Her own gear was packed and safely stowed, lashed behind the passenger seat of Marko's saddle, and a pack-horse had been loaded with various things the King would require, as well as extra food and other necessities. She had no idea where the King was. He was the king. it was his prerogative to keep her waiting.

"For the record, Sire, my lips are not yours to notice." The words made him crack a slight smile.

Perhaps that should be one of the subjects of the many debates, I'm sure we will be having over the course of this.

The thought was kept behind silent lips. His lips were not so pursed, or plump. They didn't have the pomp hers had. No, his lips were like those of a serpent's. Hiding the fangs that were ready to strike with venomous resolve. He often wondered, if he could have been any other man--would he? Or was the thought of power too alluring? Some men were born to die, some were born to lead. But some, some were born to rule. He was as he had told the young woman who he had not conferred to as confidant--that to his people, he was their god. He was their devil. He was their salvation and damnation. He was their tyrant and martyr, he was their blessed saint.

But above all. He was their king.

As the hours past, as they often did. He had spent many fortnight awake--deliberating, counseling and in decision making. He actually rarely slept, for all the world knew; the ostentatious king of Frelia was in his bed, and perhaps not alone. Such was his appearance, but the finality of the truth was--He spent the nights away with sword in hand. It was perhaps, surprising that the king's practices were so long, and arduous. And on a number of times, he had broken the blade leaving himself to be wounded when the shard of steel flung back. Still, even when it embedded or did just leave a glancing blow--he was spurred on as if in live actual combat.

The pain was real in a fight. The blood he bled would be his own. So he saw no reason to stop over something so petty as a scratch or 'splinter'. To him, it gave realism without actually killing someone every time. To him the pain had to be overlooked and overcame. Once had a shard of steel lodge itself four to five inches in one shoulder just beneath his clavicle. The pain became so intense that his body FORCED him to quit by making that arm unmovable. In the end, he wrapped it and simply--used the other arm with the still broken sword.

But then again, this did show remarkable results. Due to the practice sword being actually heavier than the sword he actually used--it built tremendous arm strength. And because he'd learned to cope with injuries in practice and keep going--often times when an enemy did score a hit, he could still respond reasonably well. But he wasn't littered with scars for no reason. There was a reason why his fair beautiful skin looked as good as it did. When the morrow came it would be much to her surprise that her King was out before her. Granted, he might not have looked LIKE her king.

Donned in dark garb; his silvery hair hidden beneath a hood of black. He wore skin tight clothing that were vary grays in hues. His arms were covered in buckles and leather straps. On his shoulders rested a black mantle that seemingly, looked frayed--if not a bit eerie almost like a wraith. He wore steel shin guards, and steel was plated across the tops of his boots. He held his sword back handed. It was a broad sword, but most importantly, it didn't have any noticeable marks that gave away who he actually was.

"You've been waiting for me a long while, lady Rae. Yet you didn't see me here. I could have very well been a danger to you or...your king." Remus chuckled, jesting with the rider.

swordsman2.jpg

"I saw you, I just didn't see you as you." Rae grumbled irritably when her king finally made himself known. Internally she was kicking herself. She had seen the dark clad and hooded figure lurking around, she had taken note of him, and then she had written him off as being of no immediate threat. Now she felt like a fool. She tried to keep the emotion from showing on her face.
"I saw what I expected to see," she admitted after a moment, "not what I should have been looking for. That will be remedied in the future." She did not admit that she had no idea how long he had been there, and that she had only first spotted him twenty minutes prior.

She shifted slightly, watching the servants and grooms mill about, making last minute preparations, her mind racing to discover what she could have done differently. After a moment she realized she would not have changed a thing, and tuned to him, raising her chin almost defiantly, stated. "If I may be so bold, Sire, anyone here could be dangerous. To have me clear the area or apprehend every figure who looks even remotely threatening smacks of paranoia, and paranoia clouds the judgement. I might also point out, that while it is a comfort you can disguise yourself so well, if I had recognized you, without knowing your reasons for such a disguise it would have hardly been my place to let the secret slip."

Several days later . . .
The man was infuriating! Rae was convinced of that! Her hands gripped her reigns to her thighs as she and Marko flew through the skies scanning the area ahead, trying to determine how close they were to the hunting party's gathering point and if there would be any trouble between there and her king's current location. She could keep a clear head and focus on the job, but she couldn't seem to lose the knot of irritation that was slowly building up between her shoulder blades.

It was almost as if he had been intentionally saying things just to get her to react. She was sure he was, but she was never quite sure was was a test and what he genuinely wanted to know, or even if he ever genuinely wanted to know anything. It certainly didn't help that she was running on short sleep. Not a problem really, just annoying. When they made camp for the night she'd get him some food and catch an hour or two while he ate. She'd then sit up and take the watch the rest of the night so he could rest. She had no idea if he was sleeping, she strongly suspected that he wasn't, but that would be his own personal problem. She, personally, had gotten to the point that after a scout run, if there were no threats to be seen, she'd return to the ground and take cat naps in her saddle. Fifteen minutes here, thirty there, it was enough and she trusted Marko not to let her fall. Any other mount and she wouldn't dare try that trick, but Marko she trusted. Besides, she'd trained herself to sleep light and wake fully the moment it was needed. If she slept light the odds of her talking in her sleep, which she knew she did, were significantly decreased, she hoped. Still, she wasn't too worried about that. her mutterings were light and he'd have to be very close to hear them, or so her mother had told her, and she didn't know any sensitive information the King wasn't already aware of. The only thing she could say was . . . well, she'd just have to hope she didn't say it.
The other issue, between keeping track of her king, scouting for danger, and standing watch she'd barely had time to be out of her armor for so much as a quick wash or to give the pieces a look over, she'd actually been sleeping in it. She could hardly wait until there were others in the group to take their turns and she could have a chance to relax. The others Lords she would trust because they wouldn't want to start a war, the mercenaries, because going back on a contract was bad for business. Still she would watch them just to be sure.

She guided Marko to the ground, grateful the Pegasus at least wan't the one causing problems, and landing behind her King guided the animal up beside him.
"We're about two miles out now, Sire. It seems the rest of the group has already assembled. Due to your current garb I must now ask, do you approach them as yourself? as King? or do you wish to go under another guise?"

"I saw you, I just...didn't see you as you."
The woman attempted to rebuttal. It was noticeably weak. Remus arched a brow inquisitively, smiling towards her.

He was essentially, allowing her to explain herself. But rather than have a sobering look or a somber demeanor--he stood instead expecting an answer to his guard's lack of insight or failure to assess dangers correctly. He was testing her once again, not only with his altered outfit and appearance but with a weapon to boot. All things considered, he took things lightly, where as his confidant and guardian took things, perhaps, a little too seriously. But that may have been what drew him to her. Her sense of duty. Her profound loyalty. Her desire to protect a king that--for all intents and purposes, had warned her that he could be a tyrant. A snake-a monster. He told her these things with his unguarded life sitting before her nearly in the buff with no supposed armament to be spoken of.

Yet she spoke truthfully. Even at his compliment. He needed someone like her. Wanted someone like her. No. It HAD to be HER.

"I saw what I expected to see,"She continued, "not what I should have been looking for. That will be remedied in the future."

Remus lifted his head, nodding slowly as though trying to understand her logic. There was just one, little, bitty problem...

"I see..." He said, " So...You saw what you expected to see--a man garbed in black, holding a sword. And that somehow was NOT what you should have been looking for? Well..." He shrugged turning, lifting his arms up. "I can't tell if I can wait for that remedy lady Rae. It might be too late by then--wouldn't you say?"

Remus looked back over one shoulder with a smirk that was as he said he was--devilish.

"If I may be so bold, Sire, anyone here could be dangerous. To have me clear the area or apprehend every figure who looks even remotely threatening smacks of paranoia, and paranoia clouds the judgement. I might also point out, that while it is a comfort you can disguise yourself so well, if I had recognized you, without knowing your reasons for such a disguise it would have hardly been my place to let the secret slip."

"Ooooh," He listened to her. Turning to face her once again, this time however her king was sauntering to her. "So please allow me to get my facts straight: You expected to see, a tall, dark dressed man holding a weapon. But you weren't looking for him. So then you say you WILL look for a tall, dark dressed man holding a weapon in the future. And the only reason why you didn't apprehend said figure was the judgement that--anyone here has the possibility of being an attacker--yet there is still a tall, darkly dressed man you didn't notice for...twenty minutes was it? That sounds about right, yes. Twenty minutes sound right."

Remus had stopped a foot or so in front of her. He had THE MOST mischievous grinning expression she had probably ever seen her king--or anyone have.

"And...I couldn't very well spoil the surprise for you--you should have seen your face when you first saw me. Why, I bet you thought I was no immediate danger, that I was some beggar or the likes." He there his head back chortling loudly as he placed the knuckles of both hands on either hips.

Still smiling, he put to fingers near his lips and let out a sharp whistling blow. Even Marko knew what it was. As fast as the pegasai could fly--this horse could run. It could blaze four hundred and forty yards in less than twenty seconds. It was a horse that was both born and bred to run and it did it very well. Charging up the fields towards them, it wasn't daunted by the fact that there was a fence in front of it. No, this beautiful black mare raced towards its owner at breakneck speeds like his life depended on it. Its body was muscled and compact. The black fur of its coat shimmering. It had puffs of black fur along its hooves that almost seemed to trail behind each leg rather than be apart of them.

When it came time, it vaulted the fence and simply--trotted up to Remus. Upclose, its legs were long and lean. However its hindquarters were remarkably muscled and powerful looking. Its neck was long, and its head refined looking. It had sloping shoulders and also, a deep body. These qualities differed of course, to the type of horse and owner may have wanted.

"Hey there Midnight...you been running today?" He spoke to the steed who wasn't as on edge about Remus's presence as Marko was. Even when he stabbed the sword into the earth by it. It seemed genuinely fond of him and he to it.

Grabbing the broad sword back handed, he mounted the black mare and looked down at his guard who he seemed to make a past time of picking on her. "What say you to having a friendly little race there? I'm sure nightmare would be thrilled to run, wouldn't you girl?" He rubbed between.

He smiled down at Rae. "First one there get's to see the other one naked." He winked and slapped the side of his sword against Midnight's hindquarters. She took of like a bolt of lightening streaking through the sky.

It had been several days since their belated departure. Remus and his lone guard were on their way to Fort Ishmaire. It would probably take only a couple more to finally reach their destination. In the meanwhile, he had taken up his new hobby--toying with poor Raymond Lawrence, or Rae as she preferred to be called. Her instincts were good, and her technique reliable. Still, her youth showed her naivete and while he himself wasn't much older if at all, he had to run a country not fight simple border skirmishes. There was a lot to be said about reading someone who was more dangerous to you than a snake or wolf. It was those instincts that made Remus so infamous in his kingdom.

Still, he relied on her. If not only for her companionship and faith in this. Yet this venture was turning out quite unexpectedly. He was learning small bits about his ladyship, than perhaps he may have at home. Maybe it was her sense of duty to stay close, or maybe she wanted to smother him with her rucksack--honestly, he couldn't tell sometimes and it mad it fun and amusing. Then there were the times that he would catch her asleep atop her steed and by happenstance meant to fall off only for him to lean her forwards, take the reigns and walk the majestic animal so that she would never know the difference.

He even left a moment or so before he sensed she was waking up.

All in all, it was a rewarding time for him. one that he could rarely afford. This time however, he had coaxed her father to run Frelia in his stead while he was away. The old general was needless to say, flabbergasted and understandably--reluctant. Frelia was a big country. With many big problems. While they certainly weren't Grado who had been defeated by Renis, and who also had invaded Frelia itself once upon a time--it had its own troubles and ordeals to mingle with. Some of which, made being poor look like a sigh of relief. The general's daughter had been doing her job accordingly, albeit grudgingly he suspected sometimes.

He was truthfully impressed with the way she handled herself. She made his meals, which while not necessarily necessary--she seemed honor bound to do. Along with standing watch at night so that he may at least look like he was making the attempt to do. Truthfully, it felt awkward and made him uneasy. It wasn't where they were at, or her. He just...wasn't used to it. He was used to working well after dawn, day after day after day. Sometimes going with little to no sleep for periods up to two weeks. Some called him a workaholic, others dedicated. As ruler, peace of mind was never an option. You always had to be one step ahead of someone or that was it.

He'd noticed something though. Through this trip she had barely left that suit of armor she wore. It was like a second skin to her he imagined. But even skin gets dirty, sweaty--itchy. He could take his armor off, no problem. But she was a lady, warrior or not, so just stripping in front of him was going to be out of the question. However, he did empathize with her. As a king, he had told her that she was a subject just as any plain serf was. That her happiness, her thoughts--meant as much. He had to ensure she was well taken care of. Even if...it meant ordering her to do it. Something that constantly clouded his head and thoughts.

He'd ordered executions and warrants, he'd even commenced manhunts. These things were on top of all the other stately affairs off course. But could he..order her to strip down? Kings didn't have time for morals in their line of work. If morals came into play every time there was an issue at hand, either another would be done about it or it simply be done in the wrong way. Kings were men who assumed the better for the greater good, rather than be subjective to the whims of a few. That was it then. He would have o other alternative. But there was a way he could go about it to ensure her safety while disarmed.

"We're about two miles out now, Sire. It seems the rest of the group has already assembled. Due to your current garb I must now ask, do you approach them as yourself? as King? or do you wish to go under another guise?"He heard her land elegantly behind him,the pegasai's wings flapping no heavier than a dove's it seemed.
"Alright we'll discuss it," He said softly to her watching her dismount. They were far from a lake of sorts if he remembered the map correctly.

"Come with me." He said, taking his horse by the reigns.

He left the fire crackling at the campsite. If anyone attacked, they'd find no one there and little in terms of valuables. Another reason why he altered himself for this. But there was one thing that did identify him as the legitimate heir. One that he obviously had kept hidden. It was a medallion. The only one of its kind and one bestowed to the king of Frelia upon inauguration. This one simple thing was worth more than gem encrusted crowns, or scepters of pure gold.

"I remember telling you that you were valuable to me, lady Rae." He said with a serious tone. "Not just as a rider, but as a citizen as well." He continued to march, leading her to the small lake, one that reflected the starry night sky upon its placid surface so serene.

"Yet, I have faltered as your king to allow a lady such as yourself, to freshen her spirits. I ask that you wash yourself now." He pressed a hand to his steeds hind quarters, making it settle upon the ground.

He propped his sword against one shoulder as he sat down facing away from the lake, leaning back into Midnight's side. Her weaponry was bound to his horse as well.

"I will not look on my duty and honor as your king. I have a plan in mind, and I'll need you refreshed and ready. Is that understood?"

"Alright we'll discuss it. Come with me."
Soft, his voice was soft. She'd never heard that tone from him before. She'd heard teasing, amusement, seriousness, rebuke, but never soft. Either she was in trouble or he was about to suggest something he knew she wouldn't like. She felt that knot grow between her shoulders, but she followed anyway, her senses suddenly on full alert.

"I remember telling you that you were valuable to me, lady Rae. Not just as a rider, but as a citizen as well."
Oh no, she if he was starting off like that then she definitely was not going to like what came next, and then she saw the lake. The sky reflected in the water. It was beautiful, but what could he want with her here? they had already wasted enough time.

"Yet, I have faltered as your king to allow a lady such as yourself, to freshen her spirits. I ask that you wash yourself now. I will not look on my duty and honor as your king. I have a plan in mind, and I'll need you refreshed and ready. Is that understood?"
Some woman might have smile and simpered and told him he could join them if he wanted, most would have blushed softly and thanked him for the consideration but truly they were fine. A few would have turned a brilliant scarlet, but did as they were told trusting him to keep his eyes to himself. Rae was none of those. Rae went white as a sheet, a spark of fear clear in her blue eyes.

It wasn't so much the prospect of his potentially seeing her naked, the human form was the human form and she didn't have anything he probably had not seen before. It wasn't concern over whether or not he would approve if he did see, she was very fit and actually somewhat proud of her form. She certainly didn't fear his trying to take her, she could and would defend herself in that situation and with Marko at hand she could easily escape to the sky. What had her terrified was the single mark she bore between her shoulders, that if seen and made public could destroy her entire world.

He had to do this now? He couldn't leave her be? Another day and they'd have been with the group. She'd have been able to slip away and take care of things privately. But did she dare disobey, or would disobedience seal her fate. He had sworn not to look. He gave his word, but could he be trusted? She remembered him telling her that he broke his promises as easily as he made them, so the answer to that was a resounding no. But did it matter? Now that was the question.

No, it didn't matter. One way or another, of all the people she had ever met, he was the one most likely to figure it out. She should just up and tell him, but she couldn't bring herself to speak the words. Take the risk then. Toss the dice and see how they fell. She glanced briefly at the sword propped against his shoulder. If he angled it right she had no doubt he could catch her reflection. He probably thought he looked like he was going to protect her.

"So then, the King is to guard the King's guard." She compressed her lips into a thin line, but sighed softly and complied. He said he wasn't going to look, but she was confidant he was. Might as well keep him in her line of sight as long as possible then. Taking a bag with clean cloths from her pack tied to Marko's saddle, and stepping about five feet to the right, sat down on a rock, and began working off her armor.

The first thing to go was the knife she had hidden inside her left boot. Reaching down she worked the belt off from around her thigh, and then promptly tossed the knife, sheath, belt and all at her king's feet. She didn't even look to see if he'd jumped, just set about undoing buckles and removing her leg plating.
"You know I've fallen from a Pegasus twice." She started conversationally. "They train you for it, make you jump into a net held by the others, make them practice catching you in mid air. But the experience is entirely different when you're plunging through the sky and have no idea if anyone's even close enough to make the catch, never mind pull it off." She'd moved on to her arm guards now, undoing one buckle at a time, stacking the pieces in a neat pile beside the rock. When she reached the dagger she tossed that at his feet as well.
"The first time I was shot through the shoulder by an arrow and the safety lashing on my saddle broke. I plunged twenty feet before a squad member caught me. That one wasn't so bad really." The shoulder guards came off now. If he looked he'd be able to see a white puckered scar just below her collar bone right before the edge of her sleeveless tunic started. "The second time my mount took a ballista bolt through the chest. We were falling before I knew what had happened. I had to cut the strap and jump free or be caught by my own steed's body as it tumbled through the sky. It was Marko that saved me that time. He'd just barely been broke into a saddle. We'd been trying to teach him to fly along with the others. Must have been 150, maybe 200 feet before he got underneath me long enough that I could grab a hand strap and pull myself on." She'd moved onto the belt that held the plates over her hips now. Shortly after followed the chest and back plates. "They say when a mount actually chooses you, you take the luck and don't look back." Now she was pulling off her boots, quickly followed by her leggings. Her tunic was long enough to keep her modest, but if he looked he'd be able to see the fine muscle tone of her legs, developed from years of riding and carrying an armor laden form, and hips that some women of a family inclination might have described as child-bearing. "Free fall is possibly both the most exhilarating, and the most terrifying feeling I've ever felt." The gloves came off now, revealing arms that were equally toned for a tendency to practice the lance on both sides. Her shoulders were strong, used to labor. "I feel like I'm in free fall now and I don't know if you're the ballista bolt, the safety lash, or the hand strap," she admitted finally. She wasn't even sure which one she wanted him to be.

Only then did she began to remove her tunic, grabbing its hem and pulling it over her head. The shift she wore below was just as long even if the neckline was cut in a V. She stood like that for a moment, barefoot and covered only by her shift before reaching down to grab the small bag of cloths and washing supplies before walking down to the water.

"If I were a bolder woman I might suggest you look, Sire." she called back over her shoulder. "I don't intend to ever give you another chance."

He was going to look, she was sure of it, so there was nothing to do but cut the safety lashing and see if she survived. Reaching up she slipped the straps at her shoulders and let the shift fall to the dirt, followed quickly by the little that was left. If he looked he'd be able to see it now, the brand that had been the cause of so much trouble and secrecy in her life. Set between her shoulder blades dead center on her back it looked something like a sprig of bluebells curled in a circle. She waited for a moment, expecting a demand for an explanation, or a comment about her well formed backside, but whether it was because he actually wasn't looking, or just had nothing to say there was only silence. Feeling relieved she slipped into the cold water.

Rae took her bath as quickly as she possibly could while still being thorough, keeping her back to him the entire time, waiting for the hammer to fall. Once she was done she dressed in fresh clothing swiftly, and them made her way back, picking up her fallen coverings and bundling them, along with the rest of her soiled cloths, into the bag to be washed later. Once that was done she came around to sit in front of him. The armor she left by the rock. He had apparently wanted her to be vulnerable. Well here she was completely vulnerable. She had just offered him a chance nobody else, not even her own squad, had ever had.

She sat there in silence for a moment, eyes locked on his, waiting. The tension was gone from her shoulders now, she could feel herself relaxing even under his gaze. This was it, this had to be the worst of it. Whatever happened after this moment she was sure she could handle. After this moment he'd never be able to claim she'd tried to hide what she was. If he did, well it was his own fault he'd decided to be honorable and not look.
"So . . ."

"So then, the King is to guard the King's guard." The statement was...simple. But carried so many implications for the young woman.

What WOULD he do if he found out? Dismiss her? Exile her? Even kill her right there on the spot?

While she was becoming ever more pale, he was settling down with his legs and arms folded--sword tucked in one arm, standing vertical. And for some reason, when he got real quiet like this. Real focused on something. That 'monster' seemed to emerge altering his entire presence changing it into something formidable on its own. Some men could hold that posture, that air of authority. Some could even go a step further and make others bend a knee. But this was different. This was so much darker than she could have ever expected--especially from her king.

This persona was indicative of him becoming more sober and losing the facade that was 'man'. The arrival of this interesting change in him, was the pure smell of blood on him. It was like he was doused in it. Had swam in it. Even one dare say it lingered like a season rain of blood. His personality in truth wasn't changing, no he was still being civil. It wasn't being directed at her, either. It was simply the more serious side of him becoming alert for her sake.

"Indeed, lady Rae. You are no good to me dead or tired you know..." His voice would be noticeably deeper than it was before. Almost like a low timbre growl.

But his words were spoken in a teasing manner. Jesting her recent habits of power napping

"You know I've fallen from a Pegasus twice." She said to him, implanting the knife into the ground by him.

It had actually somewhat cut him, but he never moved. He simply sat there with his eyes closed, holding that posture. It was already starting to affect her horse. Pegasai were noble creatures. They were pure. That was why they were white. Anything tainted, malevolent or twisted--they simply felt unerved about. Pegasai rarely had enemies, so unless commanded to charge by their riders, didn't like confrontation all that much. But it was extremely rare for a Beorc to actually distress them the way he was Marko.

"You know I've fallen from a Pegasus twice."She stated, starting her undress by removing her thigh guards. He could hear the buckles jostling.

"Oh? However did such an accomplished rider like yourself achieve that..?" Her king would inquire.

"They train you for it, make you jump into a net held by the others, make them practice catching you in mid air. But the experience is entirely different when you're plunging through the sky and have no idea if anyone's even close enough to make the catch, never mind pull it off." Rae would respond, unbuckling the leather straps to her vambrace before flinging her second knife his way.

He never moved, even though it cut him a little deeper than the first one had.

"I would imagine. It does sound fun though, but then again--I'm one for danger." He retorted, cracking a slight grin.

With the way he was exerting his will, one would think he was about to do something 'dangerous' right then and there. He didn't.

"The first time I was shot through the shoulder by an arrow and the safety lashing on my saddle broke. I plunged twenty feet before a squad member caught me. That one wasn't so bad really." She continued.

He had to admit. His curiosity--not his manly desires--well, okay those too--were wanting him to open his eyes to glance, to peek. They implored him to. But his legendary iron will was unshakable. Once his word was give, nothing of the heavens and all the world could make him break it. Especially if it was given to one of his subjects.

While moral implications were unknown boundaries, trust was earned and never given freely. She had most certainly earned his trust. Though, simply a general's daughter given the tedious if not dubious task of filling the role of 'son', she had a lot more to offer than just her lance. Her kind and honorable spirit was a fine example. And he envied her for it. He pined for that simple life.

While he waged war with his desires, both carnal or otherwise, she had continued to disrobe. Having stacked much of her outer wear in a neat pile around her. Presumably to quickly hide herself, should he peek. Or throw something at him FOR peeking. Maybe a conjoining of the two? Whatever the case, he could definitely tell where she had meticulously placed each, and what each piece she she was placing down.

She was taking her shoulder guards off now. Her pauldrons and her rerebraces. Pauldrons covered the shoulders while rerebraces covered the bicep.

"The second time my mount took a ballista bolt through the chest. We were falling before I knew what had happened. I had to cut the strap and jump free or be caught by my own steed's body as it tumbled through the sky. It was Marko that saved me that time. He'd just barely been broke into a saddle. We'd been trying to teach him to fly along with the others. Must have been 150, maybe 200 feet before he got underneath me long enough that I could grab a hand strap and pull myself on." She had continued.

He was honestly, and sincerely curious what brought forth this confession of hers on. Was she nervous over the brand she bore between her shoulder blades? The one that resembled bluebells? Oh my. Her father was quite evil, wasn't he? Hadn't even told her I already knew about such a thing and he sent his daughter--already as nervous as could be around her king--unaware that her king knew she was a Branded.

Why, if he didn't know better, he'd say the old man was playing a trick on her.

"Oh my..." The words would spring from him softly as before. The idea that, he could mess with her big time seemed to alter his entire presence of being.

But the words themselves, could be construed as a reaction to her story. Not to his revelation of her. In fact, they were so 'ordinary' as a response, she had completely missed the undertone and continued on.

"They say when a mount actually chooses you, you take the luck and don't look back." She stated.

"That is true lady Rae, I completely agree with you there. Midnight was an ever troublesome steed once upon a time. Her owner almost felt he had to put her down. But there was something in her eyes. Something that told me what the man wasn't. She wanted freedom. She wanted to run. However, Frelia as you know, isn't pastures and meres. Its an icy world. Beautiful but cold. So while I couldn't very well let her roam all day and night, I simply made the need to run by making tournaments instead."

Remus reflected with a smile. But still kept her secret fresh. He listened as she shimmied out of her leggings and boots. Tossing them as any man would. A thought he found humorous as well. Then off came her gloves.

"I feel like I'm in free fall now and I don't know if you're the ballista bolt, the safety lash, or the hand strap," There it was. A blatant confession of trust. Something both of them hardly new of.
"I've got to be honest with you, lady Rae. I can be either of those things. From your voice, I don't believe you've braced the conclusion of either. But I also gather, that I am not quite the man you thought I'd be. Maybe you would think me pompous ostentatious. And as one who can look from the out side in--I could only agree. Many royals and nobles are haughty and arrogant indeed. When you look at them, you can tell the think this world owes them just simply for being born. But a king is born int he blood of his mother just as a farmer or a blacksmith is. So why should they be seen as better?" He questioned her rhetorically. Asking not her, but her herself and her views.

"If I were a bolder woman I might suggest you look, Sire." She had called back to him after a brief pause between them. "I don't intend to ever give you another chance." She declared, it made him chuckled noticeably loud.

"You are as bold a woman as I am as a man lady Rae. But you need only ask for me to look upon your grace, and I will do so without tarrying. Until then, milady, I am bound by my word to not watch you bathing. No matter how my mind might wander in curious abandon." He stated, not as a king, but as a man instead.

After a while of listening to the wonderful sloshing of water--hurried as it was. Remus was left smiling much of the time. He had gone out of his way to bring her here, to let her refresh herself--and she hurries along and doesn't enjoy it. Oh, what was he to do with this woman? When finished, as, he was fairly sure she was--what with listing to her naked form rise up out of the lake like a beautiful drenched Valkyrie.

He could hear the water spilling down over her arms--which were no doubt, covering her breasts in modesty. That was one thing he never understood about the human condition--the complete, vulnerability of someone without clothes on. It didn't truly affect the way you fought with a sword or spear. If anything, the freedom definitely helped. But take away their clothes, and they don't seem to know quite what to do with themselves.

Unless you were of course Remus--who didn't mind being naked. Not that he made it a habit to walk around as such. Simply, clothes to him, would be the last thing to worry about it would seem. The rustle of clothing was further indicative of her departure from her bath. He still dared not look for fear of breaking his word. He had told her he was a liar--not an oath breaker. Moreover, saying he was a liar then might mean he was lying then--and not lying now.

Ah, the rules of politics. Completely contradictory, even he admitted it dumbfounded him.

Once he heard her settle before him, he opened his eyes to her staring intently into hers.

"So . . ." Rae had began. He could tell something was...bugging her. Something she wanted to say to him. A secret perhaps?

Oh this..this was going to be fun.

"Oh, right. The plan. The plan is simple: We arrive you act as the appointed ruler of Frelia while I stand on the sidelines and observe--at least until we are found out. I like knowing about who I am dealing with exactly--and to do that, is to be perceived as someone unnoticeable. Now, we may be found out sooner or we may go this entire trip without them realizing who your servant actually is. And yes, I said I will be acting as your capable servant." He realized, that this was a pretty big thing for her.

To go from swimming naked in a lake--to being royalty. He was sure if word got around the right people, village folk would probably flock to that myth.

"Also..."He became very, very serious. "On this little quest of ours--we may run into trouble. If by chance you run across some Branded--kill them. Branded are a blight up the Beorc race." He narrowed his eyes for further emphasis.

But then...his mood altered. Becoming kind and warm after a few tense moments.

"I'm just kidding lady Rae. You needn't worry. You have your lords full backing. To me, you aren't branded of anything. You are a valuable, and noble citizen of Frelia and Gods be damned if anyone tries to take you from my service." He placed hand against her cheek before removing it none too quickly.

"You should have seen your father when I asked him about you. He turned whiter than you did. That old man might have a mean bark, but he loves his daughters." Remus chuckled, but his eyes drifted down.

They seemed sad. Pain filled. Indeed, what he was about to say, he couldn't unsay.

"I have to tell you something about myself, and you are not going to like it. Not as a person. Not as a Rider. I don't pretend to know what road leads where, or when the best time is to take it. But a long time ago, when, before I was king--I was a young man with a vision. But in order to achieve it--I had to make sacrifices. Now--some would question how far to go. I don't. I can't. I look at a line that someone labels boundary--and I only see a line. " Remus never blinked.. Wanting to be sure she was ready--he paused and then continued.

"I was the one that killed the former king, and my father. I lost my mother to him, when he had her cut open just so he could get me--his heir. That wasn't the reason I killed him then however. The reason I killed my father was because he wasn't ruling Frelia in a satisfactory manner. A man who is used to acting in one way never changes; he must come to ruin when the times, in changing, no longer are in harmony with his ways. You're father knows about my father. He also, knows about Tsaer. For his first offensive, I had his wife child and estate burned. His second offense came, when he tried to assassinate me personally. I wound up dis arming him and disfiguring and hobbling him. I later learned he was at it again...and I had him killed discretely."

Remus looked down, inhaled deeply and then continued to say the last of what he wished to impart her with.

"Ever since I killed my father that day, ever since I became king. I wholeheartedly gave myself to the people of Frelia. I only have one name. And it is Remus. Gods and Devils have only one name and I must be both. I won't ask for forgiveness. I won't ask for sympathy or understanding. But I will ask of myself; can you do what must be done--ever.single.day I draw breath."

When she sat down in front of him she noticed the nicks from her knifes. She felt a pang of guilt at seeing them. Injuring her Lord had not been her intention. Rather she had only wanted to make him jump, reconsider who she was, not harm him. She'd been about to ask if he required bandaging when she caught the look in his eyes. The mischievous twinkle that said he was about to do something she wouldn't like. Then he spoke.
"Oh, right. The plan. The plan is simple: We arrive you act as the appointed ruler of Frelia while I stand on the sidelines and observe--at least until we are found out. I like knowing about who I am dealing with exactly--and to do that, is to be perceived as someone unnoticeable. Now, we may be found out sooner or we may go this entire trip without them realizing who your servant actually is. And yes, I said I will be acting as your capable servant."

She opened her mouth to object, and not only because she could see several flaws in that plan, but because she was fairly sure she would botch the whole thing. Before she could say a word he was speaking again and his words made her blood run cold.
"Also..."He became very, very serious. "On this little quest of ours--we may run into trouble. If by chance you run across some Branded--kill them. Branded are a blight up the Beorc race."

She said nothing. She did nothing but nod in understanding, eye closed, almost bowing from her seated position. The actions that protocol dictated she make. There was no flinching, no blinking of surprise, nothing to give away what she really thought. She had heard those words or similar so many times, even from the lips of her own sisters, and she had stopped reacting to them long ago. Still, at hearing them from the mouth of her king, she had not expected those words to hurt quite so much.

And then his expression changed. She saw it in his eyes first.
"I'm just kidding lady Rae. You needn't worry. You have your lord's full backing. To me, you aren't branded of anything. You are a valuable, and noble citizen of Frelia and Gods be damned if anyone tries to take you from my service."
She had never wanted to slap anyone quite so badly in her entire life. Her hand even twitched as if she was actually going to do it, but she refrained.
A moment later his hand was on her cheek, and it stayed there easily long enough to feel the skin of her face was every bit as wind chapped as the lips she had rebuked him for noticing so few days before. She froze for a moment, not quite sure if she should turn into the gesture, his fingers were so warm and she could feel the swordsman's callouses on his palm, but neither did she pull away. She knew this was all the apology she was going to get for his joking but harsh words, just as it was the only apology for that she had ever received in the entirety of her short life.

"You should have seen your father when I asked him about you. He turned whiter than you did. That old man might have a mean bark, but he loves his daughters."
And then, as he dropped his hand he also dropped his eyes. Still, Rae could see the pain.
"I have to tell you something about myself, and you are not going to like it. Not as a person. Not as a Rider. I don't pretend to know what road leads where, or when the best time is to take it. But a long time ago, when, before I was king--I was a young man with a vision. But in order to achieve it--I had to make sacrifices. Now--some would question how far to go. I don't. I can't. I look at a line that someone labels boundary--and I only see a line. "
"That," Rae chided gently, "is obvious." but she said little more waiting. What was it that he felt was so awful he had so far called himself a monster several times. It was as if he wanted so badly to tell somebody but could never quite bring himself to do it. That feeling Rae understood all too well, and so she fell silent, and waited.
"I was the one that killed the former king, and my father. I lost my mother to him, when he had her cut open just so he could get me--his heir. That wasn't the reason I killed him then however. The reason I killed my father was because he wasn't ruling Frelia in a satisfactory manner. A man who is used to acting in one way never changes; he must come to ruin when the times, in changing, no longer are in harmony with his ways. You're father knows about my father. He also, knows about Tsaer. For his first offensive, I had his wife child and estate burned. His second offense came, when he tried to assassinate me personally. I wound up disarming him and disfiguring and hobbling him. I later learned he was at it again...and I had him killed discretely."

"Ever since I killed my father that day, ever since I became king. I wholeheartedly gave myself to the people of Frelia. I only have one name. And it is Remus. Gods and Devils have only one name and I must be both. I won't ask for forgiveness. I won't ask for sympathy or understanding. But I will ask of myself; can you do what must be done--ever.single.day I draw breath."

Rae sat there for a moment and looked at him, just looked, and then shifting forward to sit on her knees, took one of his hands in both of hers and lightly traced her fingertips across his palm before just sitting there holding it. Her grip was almost nonexistent. He could easily move away if he wanted.
"I must confess, that what disturbs me most about your story is the the death of the child, but without knowing all the facts and details of the case I can not begin to fathom the reasons you determined it had to happen. I must also confess, that in regards to your father, there are many who might have taken a similar course to yours had they the resources." She could see that no matter what else he might say he was sorry for it. To her that made all the difference. Monsters felt no remorse for their actions.

"If I may ask," she started hesitantly, "I would like to know how you determined you should even question my father as to my . . . heritage?" In other words who had screwed up, who had let the secret slip, and could she do anything to avoid doing so in the future.

At his answer she would release his hand (if he hadn't taken it back already) look up to meet his eyes and ask one more.

"Sire, If I may, I understand why you would like the chance to observe the hunting party before making yourself known, but how exactly do you plan to pull it off? Everyone knows Frelia has her king. Some of the other lords may have even visited you. As for me I - I'm completely useless in politics. I can fake my way through a ball if I have to, but much more than that - and do you - " she began to chuckle then, raising her hand to her mouth in a vain effort to hide it. "Do you know - Oh Light! do you even know how to - to be a servant?" the chuckled had turned into giggles now, and then full on laughter.
"Forgive me, Sire. It is not my intention to make fun. It's - It's just that - Well it is rather like stuffing a lion into a lamb's skin isn't it? A lion in a lamb's skin and you expect nobody to even ask about the extra teeth!" She dropped her arm to curl around her core as she doubled over, desperately trying to get back her breath. "I'm sorry, I just - just can't help it. I'll wager - I will wager anything I can freely give that they will at the very least find you odd. Can't you pretend to be a tactician or something? People expect them to be strange, and It'd give me a legitimate excuse to ask for help."
It wasn't until the last sentence left her lips that she realized she'd agreed.

Much could be said about the simple things in life. Paying attention to how close someone was to you, for example, belied their warmth for you. If you moved closer to them, and they moved even closer to you--it could usually be safe to believe that, that person felt particularly comfortable by you. Around you. But this could also mean that they have a special comfort with you. A strong friendship or they consider you a member of their family.

It is worth noting that personal space is culturally fluid; keep in mind that what is considered close in one country is far away in another.

Another thing is, the positioning of their heads.Overly tilted heads were either a potential sign of sympathy, or if a person smiled while tilting their head, they were being playful and maybe even flirting. Lowered heads indicated a reason to hide something. One should take note if someone lowers their head. If it is when they were complimented, they may only be shy, ashamed, timid, keeping distance from the other person, in disbelief, or thinking to himself or herself. If it is after an explanation, then he may be unsure if what he said was correct, or could be reflecting.

It should be noted that some cultures see this as a sign of respect. Tilted heads often meant that they were confused or challenging you in some way, depending on their eye, eyebrow, and mouth gestures. It was safe think of how a dog slightly tilts its head when you make a funny noise when judging intent.

Peoples eyes--her or villain--hardly ever lied. People who looked to the sides a lot were nervous, lying, or distracted. However, if a person looks away from the speaker, it very well could be a comfort display or indicate submissiveness. Looking askance generally means the person is distrustful or unconvinced.

If someone looks down at the floor a lot, they are probably shy or timid. People also tend to look down when they are upset, or trying to hide something emotional. People are often thinking and feeling unpleasant emotions when they are in the process of staring at the ground. Some cultures believed that looking at someone in the eyes was a sign of disrespect, or was only to be done with intimate friends or family, so this could explain why someone is avoiding eye contact with you.

Dilated pupils without the interference of substances like drugs or alcohol--often meant that that person was either interested in what you did, what you said--or you yourself. If their eyes seem focused far away, that usually indicates that a person is in deep thought or just not listening. Though, one was sure one could tell.

If someone began emulating your behaviors, your gestures or your body language in general it often meant a genuine sign they were they were trying to establish a rapport with you. One could find out for certain by simply switching up their body language.

If one folded their arms, it was indicative they were shutting themselves off from social influence. It could just be out of habit; indicated that the person is slightly reserved, uncomfortable with their appearance (self-conscious and trying to cover it), or just trying to hide something on them. If their arms were crossed while their feet are shoulder width or wider apart, this is a position of toughness or authority. But also be aware of the surroundings. Not everyone was a king in an icy tundra. So they may just be keeping warm.

If the situation didn't require immediate heat and they were rubbing their hands together or somehow touching their own body, they might be comforting themselves which means they weren't enjoying the current situation. If someone rested their arms behind their neck or head, they are open to what is being discussed or just laid back in general.If their hands are on their hips, they might be waiting, impatient or just tired.

If their hands are closed or clenched, they may be irritated, angry, or nervous.

It was the smallest cues that could tip off Remus. And because his instinct was to read people, he was very rarely wrong in his assessment of an individual. Sometimes, it was quite unnerving. It was like he was inside your head opening doors you had thought had long been locked and the key thrown away. At times, it made him the most dangerous person to cross--because he didn't have to point out habits, or manners. He wouldn't even seem to be looking for them for all anyone else knew.

And then... when you least expected it, two fangs would emerge and find their way to your heart. Often, people had little chance or choice in the matter. He was a vicious man. But there was something...strange, something different, something so very unique about the young woman before him. She had already begun to tame him. Like a wolf slowly becoming a loyal dog.

What's more, he WANTED to be tamed. Yet, at the same time he was so very afraid of it. Too long had he put the people's wants, needs, desires, hopes, dreams and anguishes before his own--that any REAL chance of happiness was bleak and gleaning far away like an untouchable star. One he felt, he couldn't reach. Him. A king. A sovereign over a nation, couldn't have something.

It most cases...that was blasphemy.

But as he counted the countless days down where he had sat in a a darkened hall upon a throne. Elbow propped, head leaned to one side and eyes closed. He did so against the few days he had gotten to know Raymond Lawrence. Stress facing off against actual happiness, Tired and weariness combating a sense of being refreshed and renewed. Apathy having a showdown with this innate need to want to smile that she brought to him. It was something he cherished more than anything and the pain and scars from all those confrontations hurt worse the the small knicks of her knives or the lasting pain in his right shoulder.

But it was something he was finding, that he didn't want to give up. No matter how much it hurt or scared him. No matter how much it confused or made him doubt his ability as a king. He had made an oath long ago to be a king for the people. To be what ever they wanted. Whatever they expected him to be. But most importantly--to be the king they needed him to be.He'd given them everything of himself. His life, his name, his ability.

Could he ask for this one thing? A friend?

She had such peculiarities. Such a beautiful strangeness about her, if at all a bit a awkward. Here she had wanted to slap him for his little tease, but her honor forbade her to. It was quite funny.

"That's obvious." She had told him bluntly. Presumably because of the boundary analogy he had used.

"I must confess, that what disturbs me most about your story is the the death of the child, but without knowing all the facts and details of the case I can not begin to fathom the reasons you determined it had to happen. I must also confess, that in regards to your father, there are many who might have taken a similar course to yours had they the resources." She then said, and indeed she was right about that.
Dissidents were bountiful as the driven snow. Strangely, when they heard the king had been killed the people were quite honestly shocked. Even he could tell if it was either because they themselves hadn't gotten to him, or they believed some neighboring country did it. It really, truly made him smile.

"Yes, my father saw me nothing more than a memoir of his legacy. And my mother paid the price for it. I grew up watching him. His cruelty. His coldness. He never changed. He didn't wear a mask. What you saw was what you got. I was a puppet who's strings he'd pull. Then...one day I just snapped. We were in the study and I took a red hot poker and I jammed where his ice cold heart should have been just to warm him up a bit. See if I could get him to see the humility of of it all. After all, he had confessed to me that, he had been keeping the people in check by hiring brigands to burn outlying farms only after storing provisions in the warehouse--so he was coercing the people simply by making the illusion we were being attacked, starving them, and then acting the hero by providing food.The sickening thing is, is that it actually makes sense. But when he said find the humility in it Remus...I wanted to give his cold heart something to truly find humility in."

He smiled at her. It was so pain filled. Like a prisoner gone mad and smiling at the axe that would set him free. Maybe that's what he wanted...

"If I may ask," His trusted companion began, "I would like to know how you determined you should even question my father as to my . . . heritage?"
Remus chuckled. "You do so underestimate your king, my lady Rae. Part of ruling is knowing who you are ruling." He declared, smiling gently at her. His fingers of the hand she held, on he never took back, over lapping one side of one of her hands. He gripped her firmly. Not tightly, but gently and firmly.

"I saw that mark a long time ago. You were still in training at the time. Your armor shifted and it bore itself. I saw it because well..at the the time, I stood right behind you in that tournament I held between Pegasai riders. I was in disguise then too." His eyes closed, letting the reality of it sink in for her.

He had known for quite some time.

"Then there were the times, over the last few days or so, I'd catch you napping on Marko and be it through no fault of his own, something would shift you ever so slightly. I always leaned you back forwards and left when I felt you were waking up. But I saw then too." He informed her.

"When all is said and done lady Rae, you are my people first and foremost. And I don't care if you are branded or not. I'll still protect you with all that I am."

"Sire, If I may, I understand why you would like the chance to observe the hunting party before making yourself known, but how exactly do you plan to pull it off? Everyone knows Frelia has her king. Some of the other lords may have even visited you. As for me I - I'm completely useless in politics. I can fake my way through a ball if I have to, but much more than that - and do you - "
The woman began to chortle. Laughing at her king! The nerve! It honestly made him feel better about the bad idea that her father concocted. He had wanted to send his doppelganger but Remus wouldn't stand for that.

He sat there watching this woman, holding her hand as she began to giggle uncontrollably."Do you know - Oh Light! do you even know how to - to be a servant?" She said through her gasps and laughter.
Remus was just sitting there smiling at her. He knew not to answer just yet. But he was beginning to laugh too.

"Forgive me, Sire. It is not my intention to make fun. It's - It's just that - Well it is rather like stuffing a lion into a lamb's skin isn't it? A lion in a lamb's skin and you expect nobody to even ask about the extra teeth!"
She was beginning to laugh so much and so hard, her face was blushing! Turning beat red in response to the fact she wasn't getting enough air in her system be gore it was force right back out.

"I'm sorry, I just - just can't help it. I'll wager - I will wager anything I can freely give that they will at the very least find you odd. Can't you pretend to be a tactician or something? People expect them to be strange, and It'd give me a legitimate excuse to ask for help."

And there it was. She was actually going to do it! He had to warn her.

"Okay, number 1--I can sooo act like a servant! Number two the thing about lion and the sheep thing? Well, okay, I'll give you that one. But I can act like a servant! But tactician it is then. Just so you know, that idea was your father's it was either that or send the doppelganger which is the person they've probably seen in my stead. But I always complain to your dad I don't have a freckle under my left eye, I just don't! And I don't even want to know how they got his hair white!"

By the time all was said and done. They were both holding themselves laughing.

Rae blinked at his explanation about her brand. The fault had been hers. She remembered that tournament. Her shirt had gotten torn in an earlier event and she had taken the risk that her armor had covered it. Apparently she had been wrong. As for the power naps, those would have to stop. Nobody ever got that close when she was awake, Usually Marko wouldn't let them. She shot a glance at her Pegasus. The King may think the animal was nervous, but compared to what she had seen Marko do in the past, the Pegasus actually liked the man. Marko was a spitfire, he liked to cause trouble. His trainer had always worried about finding a rider for such a difficult animal, that is until he'd pulled Rae from the air. But then Rae herself was different. Maybe that's why the two of them made such a good team?

It was a relief that he wasn't offended at her laughter, that he was laughing as well. Just as it was a relief that an idea she found so ridiculous had not originally been his.
"That - That does sound like my father," Rae managed between gasping for breath her half-dry silver hair glinting in the light. "He used to have me switch places for Alexa, my youngest sister, whenever suitors came for Thea or Josi. I can still pass as the youngest of my sisters not the oldest, and she looks the most like me - anyway it was a sort of test I guess. She can act like a proper lady, and I could annoy the hell out of them - see how long it took before they lost it." She had her breath back now and after a moment she re-asked the earlier question.
"So, My father has been put in charge of things at home with your doppelganger to lead the world to believe you are still there. You will attempt to pass as something less so you can observe the group, but that leaves me. How are we going to do this? The world knows you don't have a sister. Do I go as a cozen or something? Or do we take the risk that they won't think to point out a number of more suitable choices, and sent me as myself?"

Some time later . . .
Rae shifted in her saddle and pulled her hood a bit further over her face. The insufferable man had thought to bring cosmetic paints with him and now she looked like some stupid made up china doll.
"I can not believe I let you talk me into this!" she growled not even bothering to hide her glare. He was not what she had expected at that first meeting. Not what she had expected at all, and now she felt like she was paying for those expectations.
They were almost there, almost to the hunting party, and then the game would begin.

He found it ever so amusing, Remus had told this young woman her horse had staggered and allowed him near. Near enough to touch her. Her reaction was timeless. A quick shot glare. Almost like a mother would give her child when she had found out his misdeeds without the child ever so conveniently telling her before hand. The animal breathed heavily through its nostrils in response to her. While the majestic, proud animal was on end around him. It also wanted to protect its rider as it was meant to. While it could smell the blood on his hands, it could also feel his intent. So, in exchange for letting him near--he had to prove his intent by helping his rider stay on. It had felt no ill will toward Raymond that stemmed from Remus.

It was a priceless moment. Like the ones sure to follow.

"That - That does sound like my father," Rae had finally managed to respond. Laughter was quite the deviant.

"He used to have me switch places for Alexa, my youngest sister, whenever suitors came for Thea or Josi. I can still pass as the youngest of my sisters not the oldest, and she looks the most like me - anyway it was a sort of test I guess. She can act like a proper lady, and I could annoy the hell out of them - see how long it took before they lost it."
This woman was detailing the events of her life while laughing in a carefree manner about it. He wished...he knew what that was like. Mentally, his mind was reeling through the memories he had. His face wouldn't convey this. Too much practice made him keep the face he had. What she would see was a laughing man. What he was in truth, was a divided man. One man looking out from the window of his study, arms tucked behind him. Watching his people move about their daily lives. Wishing he were the poorest of the poor. Starving for bread crumbs seemed to be more sustaining than the captivity he felt.

The other half of him, was the man seated upon the throne. Elbow propped on the elegantly crafted chair. Knuckles supporting a tilted head and dressed flamboyantly. He was seated in a long, dark hall with the light from the window high up behind him--shining down upon him. But this wouldn't be enough to illuminate his face. Just cause the length of his beautiful silver tresses to glean like rivers of silvery white. This man spoke in a booming voice. He spoke clearly and in a stately manner. He would hold a very commanding presence and indeed, he could show up any where Remus was. Usually this was when someone insulted or threatened Frelia. Then the kind smile would vanish like melting snow only to reveal the icy interior.

However, if one were to assume he were ignoring the woman before him. They would seriously be underestimating him. He was observing her like a thief would eye a big score. Taking in every.little.detail. While she had bathed and dressed, she hadn't put her armor on. Simply what she wore beneath the shell of steel. She was...remarkable. She hadn't taken notice to how beautiful she actually was. Her skin damp, and her lips glossy. Her snowy hair, a trait which he shared--a trait which had made him the subject of many debates including being the rightful heir. It too shimmered like the snow at dawn, and set against her soft complexion it was ever so much more beautiful. Not only as a man of psychology, but simply as a man--he wondered what it was like to caress those lips in a sublime movement. Her eyes as blue as the skies he'd felt he could only see in a dream, were gazing upon him.

What was this feeling just now? A heart wrench? A flutter?

You took it with you when you left, these scars are just a trace....

Those were the words that entered his brain as yearning began clawing at the inside of his chest.

Now it wanders lost and wounded...this heart that I misplaced.

Such a dull throb was in his chest. He didn't dare lift a hand to his breast to quell the overwhelming sense that...He might not ever find it anywhere again. But he could tell, he could tell sitting there with her as he was; close, and in merry cheer. That there was a sadness too in her eyes as well. She didn't seem to want the life given to her anymore than he did or had. In fact, he was willing to bet that if given the choice, she could very well have not chosen to be a rider at all. But he saw the pride in those sapphire eyes of hers. Pride for her family. Pride enough to lay what she wanted aside, for what was expected or even to willingly surrender that fairy tale outcome. She was brave, and he knew it. But she didn't always WANT to have to be brave.

"I am with you," Her king would say to her in his head whilst smiling. "I will carry you through it all."

Remus then stood up, took off the fluttering mantle and settled it on her shoulders all in one, fluid motion. His dexterity would prove remarkable as it wouldn't even seem to take him a second to do the three step process resulting in him kneeling to her side and slightly behind her.

"I will catch you, if you feel like letting go." He told her, actually speaking this time.

"As for the rest, you've made some very valid points. I'm altering my plan. You are no longer going to be my king." He said, but before she could sigh in relief however...

"You are now my queen." He stated. Watching her rather humorous wide eyed look. " Now, now. Think about it. Kings don't HAVE to marry nobles. They are kings after all, they can have who ever they want--"He grinned rather mischievously while planting a hand suddenly on her far shoulder while leaning in.

"And who is to deny your king?"

***** Hour or so later...

The pair sauntered towards the Fort, it being within range finally after days of traversing the wilderness and their fun exploits--they had finally gotten to their main objective for now. However, that said, it wasn't exactly what some expected the trip was going to be like. In fact, Remus nor anyone for that matter, let alone Rae herself could have imagined that she'd be a queen of a country and he her loyal tactician and steward. It was almost to inconceivable for the woman who had been giving him sharp looks ever since.

"I can not believe I let you talk me into this!" She grumbled.

It made Remus who walked with his horse while she straddled hers, giggle freely.

"Aww..You look very lady like lady Rae. But I can't help but wonder if you took my saying you're blush was cute a bit too far. " He teased. "Nevertheless, you look quite suiting for a queen I think."

As they came upon the gathering he announced her.

"His ladyship, Raymond Lawrence--queen of Frelia." He declared to them, bowing forwards.

"I am her steward and tactician. His lordship sends his apologies. However, dissidents and insurrectionists have sprouted in Frelia, and he goes to claim their heads."

Many of Remus' key feature's that would normally have given him away, were either hidden, or altered. His long flowing hair had been tied into a neat bun an covered with a hood. He had also given himself the appearance of scars--truly realistic in appearance that dis figured his noble born face. There was also the attire he wore. Black mixed with grey suit, with frayed edges along the mantle'es cloak. And while he couldn't hide his eyes, he kept them along with his face lowered, which wasn't all that questionable for a servant.

When he had shifted to put his mantle about her shoulders and kneel beside her she had felt her heart skip a beat. She wondered what he was up to now, and as he spoke she could feel her eyes widening in shock. There had been a brief moment when he had put his hand across her shoulders, a very brief moment, Where she had wondered if he was ever like this with any one else, if this was the side of him her father saw, but then the enormity and complexity of what he was asking her to do sunk in. It wouldn't be until much later that she would remember he had offered to catch her.

And now, now she had agreed to this charade and was riding towards a group of people she was sure would not be either pleased or understanding when they realized they were being deceived. She pulled her hood closer.
"Aww..You look very lady like lady Rae. But I can't help but wonder if you took my saying you're blush was cute a bit too far. Nevertheless, you look quite suiting for a queen I think."

The makeup was fine, she knew that. It was actually very light compared to what most woman she had seen wore, she just felt . . . out of place somehow, with it on. And then there was the fact that he'd, requested, she leave the armor off for a while. It was currently bundled into a pack behind her saddle. The dagger that was normally hidden in her vambrace now hung from a belt at her waist. At least she'd been allowed to stay in her uniform. She did have a dress hidden in her bags, Josi always insisted she take one "in case" but Rae was feeling confident her King didn't know about it. If he did she was sure she'd be stuck in it. Yes, she'd take comfort in the fact that she still had her uniform.

And then they were there. Approaching a group of strange people who she was going to spend whoever knows how long deceiving. Her King was announcing her.
"His ladyship, Raymond Lawrence--queen of Frelia." He declared to them, bowing forwards.

It was at that point that she decided she was going to keep the actual lies to a minimum. He had given her her own name and identity, which meant that she could be herself and the only lie was her "marriage." Half answers and left off information she could do. She had managed to to that for years. Why she wasn't dancing, what her latest mission had been, had her father really said such and such . . .

"I am her steward and tactician. His lordship sends his apologies. However, dissidents and insurrectionists have sprouted in Frelia, and he goes to claim their heads."

She suppressed a curse when she realized her King hadn't actually given his name. She couldn't very well call him Remus without his permission, and not knowing what name he was going to claim for this venture she was forced to more or less ignore him.
Instead she looked around the gathered group, lowered her hood to reveal her face, and dismounted in a single fluid motion. The King would be able to see signs that she'd been biting her lip again, even as she smiled at the rest.

"My apologies. It was not our intention to keep you waiting, but recent events led to a last minute change in plans and a number of short delays." All true. Her voice was calm, though not refined, and her words had not sounded quite like one might expect from a queen. But Rae was a soldier first, had been a soldier until very recently if one went by the lie, and she wasn't going to try to deny that fact.

067499c4-a93a-4095-8163-609718f67751.jpg

Keeping his hands folded within his flowing sleeves, Annto simply bowed his head to the youth. "In my lands, the shaking of hands is between equals. You yet have some time to prove yourself young one." Annto replied. He knew the boy would either take a slight from the words, or it would burrow in, and spur more out of him. If the latter then all the better. The Myrmidon had a feeling that this boy would prove to be someone of interest in the days to come. As to how far the boy would be able to climb up the ladder of his own ambition? That would be an intriguing story to watch be written.

Removing a hand from his shirt, Annto lifted a waterskin to his lips, and took a large drink from the cool water. The trip through the sands had been difficult with the winds, and it felt as though they would be venturing through them again shortly. He dreaded it, but he'd learned long ago that not everything in life was controllable. Somethings after the fact however... could certainly be tipped. Though how much so, only time would tell.

It was then that another two arrived. A Tactician, and a Queen as it was said. Annto closed his eyes, and listened intently to the words. There was something about the vibration of the lady's voice that seemed odd to him. As if there was some sense of uncertainty to it's own weight. Allowing that hidden smile of his, he opened his eyes, and faced them, brushing strands of his long flowing hair from his face. "Greetings upon you. I am Annto Elsphyre, and you've stumbled upon a merry little group it would seem."

Adelaide frowned at the swordman's words. She had never been declared wrong by a commoner before, and she had to restrain herself from slapping the impertinent man in the face. The definition of glory was honor won by notable achievements. What more notable achievement was there than to protect ones country? However, those words would surely be lost on a man who obviously had no fealty. So the princess stood quietly, deciding not to leave any decisions to this philosophical man.

As the boy began to yell at her, Adelaide's motherly instincts urged her to put him over her knee and give him a wallop. However, being a princess, that definitely wasn't an option. The lady's eyes flickered to Freyja as she heard a laugh fall from the redhead's lips. To think a fellow noble would laugh at a peasant being rude. Adelaide's eyes then fell to Galric, who was simply sitting there, staying out of the conversation in general. Was there no one here that actually respected her?

Annto cut in, offering yet another lecture to the boy. She was at least glad to hear that the myrmidon knew what one of her station could do to an incompetent person, but is was questionable that he didn't follow his own advice. The man seemed willing to spare, though now wasn't the time. Adelaide was about to tell the kid to beat it since they didn't have time for him, but before she could he claimed he would join them. Adelaide's brows furrowed. Adelaide herself wasn't much of a fighter, but even she knew she could beat the stuffing out of this villager. However, Adelaide figured the boy could be of some use. She looked to her horse and gave a nod. "Very well child, but your job will be to tend to my horse during battles. He was not bred to fight, nor was I taught to fight on him." Her eyes fell back to the black-haired child. "You will protect him with your life, for his life is worth much more than yours is." Maybe with some practice the boy might be able to join them in battle, but for now Adelaide believed no good could come from the cocky child joining the fray.

Adelaide heard the clomping of hooves and turned to see two people and a pegasus coming up to them. The cloaked figure introduced the woman on the pegasus as Raymond Lawrence, queen of Frelia. Adelaide's eyes narrowed at the cloaked figure as he continued to introduce himself. Though she didn't travel often, Adelaide was still well informed on the going-ons of the lords in other countries, especially Frelia's. They were the closest to being Renais' equal, and it was important to keep a close eye on them. Therefore, the princess knew quite well that the ruler of Frelia did not have a wife. Adelaide's eyes moved to the so-called queen. Though certainly a woman with a decent upbringing, this Raymond didn't have the air most nobles possessed. At least, that's what Adelaide would have thought if she didn't already know Freyja, who might as well have been a man. Annto seemed fooled though, offering the two a welcome without question. Adelaide looked to the side at no one in particular, thinking on the situation. Full out declaring the two frauds might mess with the 'loyalty' of the sellswords. However, Adelaide couldn't bring herself to fully play along. These two needed to know that she wasn't fooled by their futile attempt.

The green-haired woman lifted herself onto her horse in order to be on equal ground with the 'queen'. "We haven't had the honor of meeting your majesty. I suppose you must have married in only recently? To become a wife and within days be sent to fight, a queen's life can be quite difficult." Adelaide's eyes stared at Rae, not a single amount of kindness could be seen in them. She wanted this woman to know that these two hadn't pulled the wool over Adelaide's eyes, and it was doubtful that they could wiggle their way out of it. However, Adelaide was not one to deny help wherever it came from, so she wouldn't turn them away. After a few moments of silence, Adelaide finally broke eye contact and turned her horse to the group. "Well, that should be everyone I think. Since dear Freyja seems itching for a fight, maybe we best be off?" The woman's glance fell to Galric, and with her eyes she silently asked him to watch her back, if only to help put her mind at ease a bit. As she turned her horse back towards the road ahead, her eyes fell on Eligor again and stayed there for a few seconds. Until she better understood this Branded, Adelaide was going to feel quite nervous around the man. Her knowledge was in wars, history, politics. Never had she needed to study the Branded before. Maybe this would be a good learning experience, one that could help her become a better princess for her country. She would talk to the man...someday...when her courage didn't fail her like it did now.

• Love
Reactions: Falcon
"Greetings upon you. I am Annto Elsphyre, and you've stumbled upon a merry little group it would seem."

"A merry group indeed," Rae answered the greeting with a smile and a nod of her head hoping that was the appropriate greeting.
Light but this Annto man was gorgeous! She had a hard time tearing her eyes away. She was supposed to be a married woman and married woman were not supposed to . . . But that had never stopped a married man that she had seen, or not usually, so she let herself look, and she let herself appreciate, she simply did not linger and she would have to remember never to show him any particular favor. Damn it! Under different circumstances she might have decided to get to know him better, to see if he had even the slightest inclination to treating a . . . but no, that was a long forgotten dream. One she simply could not dwell on here, dared not dwell on here! And because of that man, she barely avoided shooting a glare at Remus, she definitely would have no chance to even consider that option with anyone until he saw fit to release her from this charade.

A moment later Rae's eyes were turned towards a young woman who was obviously a noble woman. Suddenly Rae knew she had been right and this whole thing was going to be a lot harder than her King had seemed to think. She prayed internally that the young woman would denounce her as a fraud then and there, but no such luck.

"We haven't had the honor of meeting your majesty. I suppose you must have married in only recently? To become a wife and within days be sent to fight, a queen's life can be quite difficult."
The woman met her eyes, nearly glaring at her, but Rae held that gaze unflinching, staring back.
The noble's eyes were hard, cold and Rae had a momentary desire to say something, to try to lie, to claim things had indeed been sudden, but all that would be nothing more than the appearance of making an excuse. Doing so would surely give away the lie. She would leave that sort of thing to her King if he cared enough about it. As she held the glance Rae was suddenly grateful for all the stunts her king had pulled, all his jokes, his tests, his teasing. Nothing, nothing this woman could pull could even begin to compare to all that.

As she and the woman, whom she presumed to be Princess Adelaide from the reports she had heard of the group before coming, held eye contact Rae was unable to suppress the small smile that tugged at the corners of her lips.
It was Princess Adelaide who turned away.

"Well, that should be everyone I think. Since dear Freyja seems itching for a fight, maybe we best be off?"
The young woman turned her horse from the group to look towards the road leaving Rae standing beside her Pegasus now desperately trying to suppress that grin.
She turned towards the others again, let her eyes travel over then, analyzing then as best she knew how. The boy swordsman, an nearly unnoticeable man sitting on a crate, a man whose eyes said he might be branded as well. Curse her king, she'd never be able to get close enough to find out for herself as things stood now!

Her eyes came to rest on a beautiful red haired woman who she knew by description and reputation alone. She must be Freyja Velarius. To her Rae bowed as she would to an equal, her suppressed smile now plain for all to see, though it was perfectly friendly.

"Again, I must offer my apologies for my tardiness. I hope we did not keep you long."

Galric did not bother to hide his interest as the newcomers approached, nor his wary amusement as his lady attempted to stare down one who claimed to be queen. Princess Adelaide did not seem to buy that story, but while Galric knew it to be unlikely he was the sort who never discounted any possibility. Politics and subterfuge moved quickly in Frelia, and while the King was by all reports a fool, it was wise to consider that his generals and advisers were not. They had given the name Lawrence. Hagan Lawrence was a well known and highly esteemed General who served the Frelia crown, and if rumors were correct he had not one, but four daughters. While highly unlikely these newcomers' story was possible.
And then there was the display of confidence this Pegasus rider showed, staring down his lady . . .

He didn't miss the way Princess Adelaide caught his eye before turning towards the road. Standing he made his way to her side, and under the guise of checking and securing her saddle bags began speaking in a very low tone only she could hear. He knew that technically he should wait for her to give permission, but he had never been the sort of man to worry about protocol.

"If I may, My Lady, while your right to be suspicious is valid, that was very unwise. In one scenario I can see, they are nothing more than mercenaries pretending and we will know the truth as soon as a messenger arrives from Frelia to tell us what has truly happened, provided they did not kill the messenger on their way. Another, she and the King were married very recently, with no time for a formal announcement to reach our ears, and you did just stare down a queen. I also must warn you that there is a highly respected family by the name of Lawrence residing there. Personally I think something between the two mentioned scenarios the most likely. They are the messengers and they decided to have a bit of harmless fun, see how long they can get away with it. However, all of that is simply speculation and it will take time to gather proof. You will be the first to know what I learn. There is some time before my contract is up and until then my body and mind are yours to command as you see fit. Provided, of course, there is no contradiction to your father's orders."

He bowed his head then as he finished with the saddle bags, "If I may, my lady, with your permission I will go and speak to our other companion and see what insight he may be able to offer for this trip?" Galric nodded pointedly to Eilgor. "Unless of course there is something you wish to speak to him about yourself?"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person

Oh my, quite the conundrum I've ever placed lady Rae in.

That was the thought that ran through the cloaked figure who had announced her. He wasn't as sincere as one should probably have been, given Lady Adelaide had been quite stern in her approach.

You're quite mindful of your neighbors aren't you?

The man known as the Wolf of Frelia jested to himself. She'd of course be a "mindful" person. She was a ruler herself. If that wasn't enough, then there were all the diplomats and spies from Renais that ensured such. After all, Adelaide wasn't a very trusting person to begin with. She used people if they WANTED to help, but she kept her distance. This was no surprise, being a ruler often meant deception and who more deceiving than a ruler? Furthermore, to ad to this sense of guarded mentality was the fact at one point its long standing treaty with Grado its southern neighbor, was destroyed when Grado once invaded and in the even--slew one of Renais' most noble rulers.

She was a logical woman. So decision making was sort of strong point for her. Which was a good thing. Men or women that could not make up their minds to do what needed to be done, had no business being in the position they were in. Noble blood or not. When he had met her on occasion, he'd even been so bold as to say it to her face in their discussions. There was also a side of her that he believed, few had actually seen.One being the leeriness of battle. The fact she was taken back by the sight of too much blood gave him the strong opinion that she hadn't actually been in a true fight.

This incident, he markedly recalled when she stood in his presence of his throne room. As they talked, an assailant charged into the hall and declared that he would kill Remus. Many of the other nobles gasped in horror. And strangely enough, his guards did not eek to apprehend the man. Remus then turned to his general asked him for his sword. When it was given, he flung the weapon causing it to stick upright at the man's feet and as he took off his ostentatious mantle, handing it to Rae's father he then gave the man permission to try.

All men had equal opportunity to live--or die in his kingdom.

With each stroke of his sword, he had carefully placed his aim. The man had tried his damndest but the finesse of the young ruler matched that of a man decades his senior. In the end he had cut the man's hand off at the wrist and when he had reached for it, Remus had pinned the tip of his sword to the man's carotid with steeled resolve if not reminiscent of of a wolf clamping its jaws down upon an insubordinate pack mate--declaring the severed hand now belonged to the king. The display had noticeably affected her, even no one else saw it-- he would have. When all was said and done, the guards finally acted, taking up the man as Frelia's general wrapped the mantle back around Remus' shoulders as Remus handed the man back his sword, hand an all thanking him but apologizing for the scuff marks on the blade.

He was also aware of the princess' innate fear of the Laguz. They were a powerful race, one that often could kill or maim with their bare hands just as much as with a sword or an axe.

But he gave credit, where credit was due. Lady Rae stood her ground. Either it was the soldier's conviction in her to fulfill her obligation. Or, it was something deeper. Which of course--made him all the more interested in how this lovely creature ticked. Either way, pressure was not her weak point as Princess Adelaide continued to insinuate with vague words that she wasn't a Queen. But rather than speaking out or becoming explosive--she remained ever the beautiful stalwart she was.

This is going to be very fun to watch...

He chuckled to himself, remaining elusive for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.