Fire Emblem: Crestfallen | IC

Laila Bellwood
Date: 14th of Amber Moon
Interaction: Sherry, Orianna (@Luminosity )
Mentions: A bunch of people

The two weeks since the two houses mock fight and everything that happened after went by and everything seemed to go back to normal, for the most part. The fact Laila managed to get to talk to Alex in a more personal manner and also got to get to know Lapis and Mael a bit more, and then also talk to Sherry, all helped her as the two weeks went on by. Two weeks that also had her mind be somewhat plagued with concern and worry towards her adoptive dad, and how he might be doing. Had news of the choice of Lady Sylamore arrived yet to there? Or was he still living by without much worry? She had no idea, as she did not receive a letter back from him yet.

The classes where it was more about history or literature had proven to be the more difficult ones for Laila. She wasn't surprised in the slightest that was the case, she was basically given a proper introduction to those in the lessons. But she was working and reading, trying to prove her worth in every type of lesson. The fact they had the punishment chores actually gave her a bit of a relief to her mind, as it was always physical chores, ones that also helped keep her mind occupied. And she certainly wasn't a stranger to manual labour, even the more dirty kind.

When it came to the magic lessons, Laila did her best to understand the theoratical ideas behind the usage of magic, but she could never see herself actually use any kind of spell. But she made sure everyone saw well her skill with the battleaxe was not to be joked around, and even if she was far from a master of a sword, she seemed to know how to wield the weapons well. At times, she even tried offering advice for other weapon wielders, which seemed to stem from her knowledge as a blacksmith. As she would state more than once "'To make a proper weapon, one needs to know how to properly wield it, regardless if I end up using it or not'. Her advices would also go towards the Green Falcons, at least the ones who would be willing to hear her out.

And now, they were out on the field. On an actual mission. Juno standing the front, looking over them all, and the rest were around. Sherry asked out loud if they were all ready, to which a girl she didn't quite know answered that she was. The girl seemed to lack any type of weapon, which made Laila figure she was a mage of sorts. After quickly ensuring both her battleaxe and sword were well strapped, she looked to Sherry "Ready over here!" Laila called out, before moving to approach Orianna "Hey, I don't think we met before. I'm Laila. Since you don't seem to be carrying any weapons, I'll try and stick close to you and defend you, unless we get different orders." She told her with a reassuring smile and wink.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marlowe
Theodoric Branden Marlon
Mentions: Juno, Sherry, Orianna (@Luminosity ), Lalia (@Nim )​

The past two weeks had been more educational than he'd expected. Beneath the constant drinking, Professor Juno proved herself to be a more than competent teacher. He'd learned more in two weeks of instruction in swordplay and reason magic than he had in months with some trainers he'd known back home. Fortunately for Theodoric, he both had a natural talent for magic as well as enough proficiency for the arcane in his family that he could afford to focus on both martial arts and magical arts. Magic had seeped into Marlon's bloodline over the centuries as a result of marriages into the family, after all. Though in his personal training, he still favored honing his swordplay first in the hopes of matching and surpassing certain foes one day.

Nevertheless, even Doric was taken aback when Professor Juno had designated him as second in command of this skirmish. He didn't recall telling her that he'd already seen combat before, but that was probably the most likely criteria why. Hopefully, this was only a temporary measure until Sherry was more experienced. Their lives certainly took precedence over Sherry needing seasoning as a future leader, but it was no exaggeration to say that Theodoric didn't exactly relish the position of being at least partially responsible for the lives of everyone in the House.

He sighed as Sherry glared at him, making a pointed comment. She was taking it personally. Damn it.

"I've made my preparations." Doric replied easily, gesturing towards his sword and lance while trying to avoid revealing his discomfort at Orianna practically orbiting him. Yhriel take him, he knew they needed a healer, but Orianna was a...complicated subject. One he'd intended to deal with at a better time than right before going into real combat. He'd have to simply grin and bear it for the moment, but...damn it.

At least someone else was approaching the girl. Hopefully Laila would take her attention off of him long enough. Doric nodded his thanks at her as she mentioned keeping an eye on Orianna. That was one worry abated, honestly. Considering their healer was unarmed, she would be an easy target otherwise.

Parthenia Harland Ciran
Mentions: @Luminosity [Sherry] @Psyker Landshark [Doric]

The past couple of weeks had been particularly irritating for Parthenia, who continued to object to most of the chores on principle, going as far as to send firmly worded letters of protest to a certain archbishop of the monastery. Worse, she'd hardly leaned anything outside of the classroom, and the chores took away most of her free time for self-advancement or additional self-learning in the library or training hall. Worse yet, she nearly destroyed all the fish trying to clean the pond before its proper caretaker stopped her from adding poisonous cleaning chemicals to the water. The only silver lining, aside from the garden and the pegasi, was that she was able to schmooze up the kitchen staff when helping them cook; ever since, it seemed like they'd turned a blind eye to her sneaking out food or ingredients whenever she wanted.

Thankfully, the lessons from Professor Juno were quite educational, even if their instructor was quite eccentric. She was even able to grasp the fundamentals of magic better; while she still couldn't match up with her childhood rival Doric, she at least was still doing better than poor Sherry.

However, Parthenia had been surprised when the field mission was announced. She felt that barely a month into their education was certainly not enough experience for a group of fresh students to face an actual armed and hostile force, even if they were a ragtag band of poachers. She felt that sending the monastery knights would be a far more logical response. After all, the monastery would be sending off inexperienced nobles and lords that would have devastating political consequences if even one noble student were killed in the line of battle.

Parthenia's opinions on the matter were different from her actual desire, though, and she was rather looking forward to getting some practical combat experience on the field. If she was the govern her family territory in the future, or even all of Mordlinde if she could become the speaker, then she needed that field experience if she was ever to properly lead troops into battle. Even if she had the fortune to avoid war in her lifetime, she would probably still have to deal with rebellions or bandits.

Thus, she was quite prepared, and had triple-checked all her gear and weapons for the sortie. The only problem was…

Parthenia joined Sherry in staring down Doric. Although she didn't have real combat experience, she thought she was just as well-prepared as him to lead, and she showed it. She didn't take it too personally, though, despite her frowning at the prospect.

It didn't stop her from throwing out some barbs alongside Sherry, though. "You'll want to have a good grip on the situation, Dory. You'll need every ounce of effort to ensure better command and discipline compared to our last skirmish. Who is that girl, anyway?"

Last edited:
leeeoon.png

𝕷𝖊𝖔𝖓𝖎𝖉 𝕳𝖊𝖈𝖙𝖔𝖗 𝕾𝖞𝖑𝖒𝖆𝖗𝖊
mentions: @Demon Shinobi @Luminosity

Chenoa didn't seem too interested in Leon's attempt at a casual conversation - or anything else going around her, for that matter. She didn't even acknowledge Theodoric and Parthenia's attempts to apologize. Leon, however, bowed his head ever so slightly as a sign of gratitude. He knew not whether they spoke up out of a noble obligation or the intent to help him. Most likely the former. Leon was grateful anyway.

Then Alex opened his mouth.

Leon watched in utter horror as the boy willingly dug himself the deepest grave ever known to man. Out of what Leon assumed to be a childish need to get in the last word, the Galbian noble made mockery of everything - from Chenoa's ancestors to her intentions behind allowing them to fight on her land.

Chenoa remained unfazed.

Sherry shot up from her seat to try and apologize in Alex's stead, but her words mattered little. In the span of a few words, Chenoa had matched Alex's vitriol with her own - then exceeded it by a mile. Threatening the boy was one thing. Ceasing exports to a land in need of food was another.

Colour faded from Leon's face. "Mother," he hissed, "Surely that's-"

His objections might've as well been droplets of rain upon a raging ocean. He would have tried again, louder if necessary, but Chenoa was gone before he could.

Leon cared little for the punishments given to their house thereafter. If he had to gather manure or scrape clean marble to make up for what happened during the battle and beyond, he would. But thousands of people did not deserve to suffer due to one boy's idiocy. He'd seen how poor folk lived, starving in their homes and freezing in their huts. This was lunacy. How could nobility care this little for the lives of the commoners? They weren't a bargaining chip.

It was only fear of incurring the archbishop's sudden wrath that kept Leon seated until he was done speaking. The second he was given leave, he took it. He was fuming, and they'd seen enough tantrums thrown in the dining hall.

- - -

To say that Leon was pissed at Alex was an understatement. At the moment of Alex's transgression, he'd wanted nothing more than to shoot an arrow through his throat. With any luck, that might've placated Chenoa too - or at the very least calmed her enough not to doom an entire nation to die a slow death.

By now, however, Leon's anger had given way for-- he hesitated to call it curiosity, but found no other word to describe it. He wanted to understand why Alex had said what he had. Was it pride? Ignorance? A moment of utter madness? Truly, there was only one way to find out.

Leon found Alex where he assumed he would; cleaning the latrines.

"Hard at work, huh?" were the words he chose to greet the boy with, arms crossed as he leaned against the door frame. Neither his tone nor expression could be called friendly, but they weren't exactly hostile either.

As if expecting Alex to be defensive, Leon spoke up again, "Relax. I'm not here to beat on you - verbally or physically. Pretty sure you've gotten your fair share of both by now."

Alex was on the tail end of finishing up cleaning the latrine when he heard Leon. He sighed. Part of him had been worried about this confrontation, though it seemed like the guy hadn't come to fight. Alex took a deep breath. Unfortunately, after spending so much time in this horrid place, he wasn't quite in the mood. Still, he could at least humor the guy. Assuming his intentions really were as he claimed.

"Don't worry I figured you weren't here for a fight. I considered that you might be coming to kill me at some point, but well... If you were, I'd seriously question your stealth skills."

"Funny," Leon commented dryly, not moving from his spot. "Trust me, if I didn't want to be seen, your eyes would be useless."

Alex chuckled, "We should test that theory some time." It could easily have come off as overconfident or maybe even a little challenging. Of course, that was only partially the case. Alex had no intention of engaging in a battle of stealth and assassination with the heir apparent to House Sylmare. Still, it could have made for fun training.

"Maybe another time."

Briefly, Alex stopped what he was doing, mop in hand as he turned to face Leon. "So, if you're not here to attack me, and you aren't here to chew me out, why are you here?"

There had to be a reason, right? He didn't seem angry, a little frustrated maybe, but not angry. His stance was perhaps a bit defensive, though it was likely that part of him still anticipated some form of retaliation.

Leon shook his head. There was disdain in his tone, though it seemed more directed towards the subject of his words than the boy in front of him. "It's not me you should be worried about, though. It's Chenoa's little birds. Real vultures, those. If she gives the command, you're dead before you can blink."

Leon tilted his head, gaze inquisitive. "But you knew all that, didn't you?" And yet Alex put his life - and the life of others - on the line for what? A witty comeback?

"I'm here to understand. So help me out and tell me..." his eyes narrowed, and the word came out coated in exasperation, "Why?"

Leon didn't seem keen on mincing words. He got right to the point. Chenoa. Lady Sylmare. Alex scoffed. "I'm not, nor was I, looking to die, Leon. I'd be spitting in the face of everything my mother went through and taught me if I were hellbent on ending my life prematurely." His words were matter of fact. And yet, wouldn't that made was came next worse. "I was pissed. That b-- woman, was throwing a temper tantrum, and what? We roll over? Offered 'sacred' Sylmare land for a mock battle and use it as a bargaining chip for whatever it is she wanted. The whole situation was suspicious."

Alex rolled his eyes. "But, none of that really matters now does it?" he scoffed, shaking his head. How many times had he explained this now. "I spoke out in frustration. Although, I'd be lying if I said I knew anything more about Lady Sylmare than what I learned that night and from passing info I'd heard since finding a 'home' in House Ravaleth." Alex wasn't stupid, but in this case he had been willfully ignorant. In fact, at the time, part of him had thought Lady Sylmare had been Leons sister or something. At least until she was referred to as otherwise.

Leon listened with a held tongue so as to not interrupt Alex midway through - even if his body language did speak of impatience.

"Weren't you born a noble?" The question slipped out immediately after Alex was done, far before Leon had a chance to consider his word choice. "You said dying would be spitting in the face of all that your mother taught you. Is speaking out of turn to someone more powerful than you not tantamount to that?"

He now understood that Alex had spoken in a fit of anger without much forethought. What he had yet to understand was how doing something like that was possible for someone of noble blood. From what he knew, the life of nobility was all a big play, each lord and lady an actor. He'd had to learn to play his own part at an accelerated pace, considering he hadn't been born to riches. So to find someone who did a poorer job than him - could it be that he and Alex had more common than he'd thought...?

Leon shook his head. "Look. I'm not saying I agree with what mother said - or what she did. Dooming thousands to die of starvation over the quip of one brat is the biggest temper tantrum of all."

He fell silent, angry over the words he heard come out of his own mouth. "... It sucks, but..." he sighed, so very tired of playing the part of an heir himself, "yeah, as nobles, we aren't exactly supposed to let personal feelings get in the way. Sometimes we're expected to just roll over - much as you'd like to stab someone instead."

God, Leon hated nobility.

"I was born with the noble blood of Zandus Shearmund Ravaleth coursing through my veins, then the answer is yes. I was born of nobility." Alex said calmly as he took the mop to continue cleaning. "But, I was born not only out of wedlock, but as a bastard child. A stain, besmirching the honor of House Ravaleth." Alex shook his head. "My mother left Ravaleth territory before my birth. So my early years were spent among the so called 'riff raff' of the lower city of Fadell." Yhirel... how many times was he gonna explain this? Oh well, it wasn't like it was particularly a secret. But it wasn't surprising that Leon wouldn't know.

Alex looked at him for a moment, studying his perhaps. "As for what my mother taught me. Defend myself. Survive. Adapt," he paused, seeming to thinking about other things. In truth, Alex was leaving off a few things. Love life, don't take what he had for granted, show compassion for those less fortunate... For a long time, even now, he'd tried to keep positive or look on the bright side of things. But a lot of that changed when she passed.

Still, Alex didn't Alex laughed a little. "A brat, huh?" He stopped his cleaning again to look at Leon. "I suppose that's true. Especially after that." He shrugged. "But it beats trying to force myself to be someone I'm not." At least he thought it did. "And it beats lording my power over others or using my influence to hurt innocent people."

Maybe that was a bit hypocritical. Would he have spoken up as a mere commoner without the privileges that came with nobility. Maybe not, but there was no point in dwelling on what ifs.

"At the end of the day, I don't really give a fuck if a noble isn't supposed to let personal feelings get in the way." Alex looked away, once more. "Maybe if we did use our hearts as well as our minds we could do something a little different... Course, that's a whole lot easier to say with a cool head," he added laughing a little towards the end.

So Alex was a bastard and had not, in fact, grown up as a noble? That explained a lot, Leon supposed. They both came from a life of poverty - which meant that the lapses in judgment Alex had could've just as well been Leon's own. He'd come close to calling out nobles and their shitty ways before, too.

Feeling a new sort of kinship, Leon shook his head, voice mellow. "I didn't know. I-- hm," he pondered how much he was ready to share, and decided on very little. "I had some rough patches too, when young. You know how Cretus is."

As Alex laughed at his brat comment, Leon offered a chuckle in turn. "If it makes you feel any better, we're all brats in Chenoa's eyes. Me especially; she's said so multiple times. Mother of the year, that one."

But then Alex went on, admitting that he didn't care if he let his emotions take the best of him, and Leon ended up lecturing him anyway, be that it was out of worry. Not as a noble, but as a commoner trying to help his kin understand the world they had been thrust in.

"As someone who-- sort of understands, here's a piece of advice: you'd better start giving a fuck, or more people are going to suffer. Survive and adapt, yeah? That was some solid advice from your mother. How 'bout you follow it? Like it or not, your words have power now. If you aren't careful, you're going to hurt even more innocent people with them."

He shifted his weight from one leg to the other. "No one's asking you not to have emotions, just not to let them get the better of you. The truth is that following your heart wherever it takes you is stuff for the storybooks - not real life. If you want to help people, swim with the current until you find a subtle way to influence its flow. Trying to swim upstream kicking and screaming just makes you drown before you can help anyone. That's how nobility works."

Leon would know, he'd made his fair share of similar mistakes in the past. Even now, he was messing with the other students at times - all nobles, even royalty. The trick was knowing who you could and couldn't mess with - and to what extent.

He grinned. "So, yeah. A cool head's a good start."

"Of course, you didn't know," Alex said calmly. "It's not like I'm particularly ashamed of my upbringing, but it still isn't something dear old dad is looking to draw much attention too." He scoffed, disdain lacing his words. He breathed in slowly, and then out in an exhale of relief.

Still, Leon seemed to hold something back. Alex opened his mouth to question him, but ultimately decided against it. Still, he laughed. "Well, with a leader like that, I'm not surprised Cretus isn't particularly great. Although... I'm torn. I wanna say she can't be that bad, considering you seem like a good enough guy, but-" But Alex wanted nothing more than to punch the woman's face in. He wanted to hear her beg for mercy before he took her head. But he wasn't about to say that.

Still, he seriously considered it as Leon proceeded to lecture him. Alex didn't necessarily think Leon was wrong, but... "If we never say anything, if we wait and never speak up when presented the opportunity, an opportunity we have now only because of our positions, how many will still suffer? There's an old folktale about a fish that swims against the current and upstream, swims up a waterfall, and becomes a dragon if it succeeds." He sighed. Did that even make sense. "There's something about perseverance, and strength in the face of adversity, and maybe some other lessons there. But either way..." He trailed off continuing to clean.

"I don't think I handled things well. And keeping a cool head will be important. Well, that and learning to pick my battles better. But sometimes, the subtle way, the way you wait for, isn't always the best way." Alex sighed as he finished cleaning. Maybe he just had to start smaller.

"A good enough guy? You flatter me," Leon laughed, a bit unsure if that was a sleight or a compliment. He assumed it was meant as the latter, so that's how he took it. "But whatever I am or am not, Chenoa can claim no credit for."

He wondered if he'd said too much. Regardless, the words were already out his mouth, so there was no taking them back now. Instead, he moved on quickly, hoping Alex didn't dwell on them for long.

"Oh, yeah. That. It's a nice story - but it's just that, a story. I've read plenty where people learn to fly, or travel through time."

Still, the fact that Alex was listening made Leon more open to returning the favour. He'd been there, once, believing in all ideals Alex did. Only he'd been forced to grow out of it. He couldn't decide whether Alex was lucky or unfortunate not to have met the same fate yet. Regradless, Leon felt as though he'd gotten through to him at least a little, and Alex seemed to understand what he had done wrong. Maybe that was enough for now.

Leon sighed. "I suppose there's no changing your mind, at least in full. But maybe that's fine. The world could use a few dragons." He grinned. "Just don't drown on the way."

He would have looked forlornly at the sky, but all he saw above was a dirty latrine ceiling. "... I'll keep your words in mind too."

He shook his head. "Anyway, I've kept you long enough. And you missed a spot-- right there," he pointed. "Better get to it."

With that, he turned to leave - only to peek back a second later, grinning. "Oh! And about pitting your eyes against my ability to avoid them, you're on. Better watch your back - I know I will be."

Leon pointed at Alex with two fingers, then back at his eyes - and slipped back out.

- - -

The past week had felt like five.

Leon breathed in the scent of upcoming rain, arms stretched out behind him. Though he held no particular hatred for the chores they'd done this past week - unlike some nobles, he was sure - he was still glad to set foot outside the monastery at long last. The monastery grounds might've been grand, but a large cage was a cage nonetheless.

Just as Leon was about to ask what they were waiting for, the answer to his question approached them. A girl with naught a weapon in sight, glued to Doric's arm. Leon quirked a brow. Since when were they allowed to bring along suitors? Poor girl would be skewered alive.

"Is everyone prepared for departure?"

"Been for a while," Leon quipped, impatient. If he'd known they were going to stand around waiting for so long, he would've brought a book. During one of Juno's lessons, he'd learnt he possessed some knack for magic. He should have liked to spend this time cultivating that skill, if it was all the same to her.

Sherry sounded scared, her own slew of questions more like a mental checklist intended for her own use. Leon shook his head. "Relax. At this rate, you'll kill yourself with worry before any blade can."

Leon noted, though, that Sherry didn't comment on the mysterious girl's presence either - and that made the situation all the more bizarre. She didn't introduce herself - and Doric didn't do the honours for her. Were they all supposed to just quietly accept her into their ranks?

Laila approached her with a smile. Leon did the same, except with suspicion.

"I believe we haven't met either," he bowed, but his eyes never left hers. "You'll forgive me if I don't offer my name - I've been told ladies ought to go first."

Last edited:
HzIEOPr.png

Mentions: @Luminosity [Orianna], @Psyker Landshark [Theodoric]
Mael had finally come to thrive in his element in the monastery when it came to his physical regimen and the class' training sessions. With swordplay as the primary art of focus for the first week, one would discover that he was quite competent with a blade in hand, much to nobody else's surprise including himself; he liked to believe that almost all nobility across every household could say that they'd swung a sword for prolonged periods of time in their lives, and he was certainly no exception. Despite its clear disadvantage, it was why he preferred hand-to-hand combat over ordinary weapons. It was way more satisfying when he could sweep someone off of their feet and knock them out with his bare hands, and it gave him more motivation to hone his strength.

Though, as the second phase had come and reason magic became their next subject, it was still a bit embarrassing even now for Mael to admit that he was a complete failure at it. House Pleiades hosted the greatest magic practitioners and scholars in the family with the richest arcane bloodline, and when Professor Juno was asking him to demonstrate such innate potential to the rest of the Red Chimeras, he opted to show them a Fire spell. It was reason magic in its simplest form, and yet, after trying to weave its structure in his palms, the incomplete spell combusted like a small firework and covered his face in soot, leaving the boy to smell like ash and burnt sulfur for the rest of the class. Suffice to say, magic in any sort of medium was not his forte.

It was the second week that felt like an eternity for the noble. Mael felt quite apprehensive about their mission for the Amber Moon, much like a few of his other classmates. They were to take the lives of others in a manner of days; for most, including himself, their very first taste of reality. While it was true that he found their written lessons quite monotonous and a drudgery to attend, it was that lingering apprehension which invoked the attention of his thoughts. He might've drawn blood and rendered some people unconscious with his brawling over the years, but now, he was expected to kill someone with his very own hands, lest the lives of his friends or himself be damned. That dark reality was certainly taking its toll on him, and he wasn't sure if he would be able to do such a thing.

But even so, Mael decided that it would be best to carry a sword for the mission, its genuine design and weight unfamiliar in his hands. He had picked up the wrought iron after mentally preparing himself for the mission through his exercise, strapping it to his belt moments long before the Red Chimeras were scheduled to depart. At the same time, a pair of iron gauntlets fashioned for his foreseeable usage came into his possession, the image of striking another person with the shorter blades attached to its knuckles making the boy's stomach turn. They were strewn to the opposite side of his belt, and before long, it was time to rendezvous with his class. He was one of the last Red Chimeras to arrive at the front gates where the students congregated, leaping from the steps before the main hall and jogging towards them. He would try to keep his hesitations hidden from them, not wanting anyone, Laila in particular, to worry about him.

"Phew, not late!" Mael said to himself before his eyes spotted a distant yet familiar face among his crowd of classmates, recognizing it to be a certain someone that had arrived in the weeks after the mock battle. "Shucks, if it isn't Orianna!"

His gradual pace had broken into a full-on sprint at that point, immediately running up to Orianna and throwing his arms around her in a big hug. They'd met on several occasions before the Officers Academy, and despite being from House Keryth, she was fortunately nothing like her older brother. "I believe a cup of tea is in order," Mael came to a quick realization when Theodoric was in his peripheral vision, his arms flailing back as he nodded towards the other boy in apology. "Oops! My apologies, I forgot about you and Doric!"

"Ahem!" Professor Juno would interrupt their interactions, eying their equipment closely as she circled the Red Chimeras. Slung on the woman's back was a longbow of ornate composition, one that they had seen very briefly during her introduction weeks ago. He could see small runes engraved on each tail end of her arrows, suggesting that it was a magical weapon of some sort. Her other weapon of master craftsmanship, the diamond rapier, rested at her hip. She was holding several pouches of vulneraries, wearing the expression of an angry mother as she shoved three into the clutches of Laila and Leon who did not have any. "Always carry a vulnerary or salve of sorts at all times!" she firmly iterated to every Red Chimeras beyond the two of them, crossing her arms together. "Just because we have someone capable of healing, doesn't mean they'll rush to your aide when you're injured. You can spare our cleric some effort and energy with some of your own effort and energy!"

Clearing her throat, Juno marched to the head of the group once more after performing the head count, motioning towards Theodoric. "I believe that's everybody?" she affirmed, observing the mixed jitters and emotions between her students. "We'll arrive at the area of interest in the afternoon, in around two hours by horseback. The Knights of Yhirel and House Ciran will have already deployed their forces, and we should be meeting Sir Talvern just before they spring the trap barring grand catastrophe."

When there were no last second objections, Juno turned towards the front gates where their mounts awaited, starting towards them. "Then without further ado, let's shake a leg."

waifu4.png

MENTIONS: Everyone
It seemed like the group was more concentrated on the arrival of the newcomer more than anything. Sherry's annoyance only grew further as Laila and Leon clustered about the smaller girl, crossing her arms over her chest as she watched from afar.
"Ah, my name's Orianna, but you guys can call me Ori!" she greeted haphazardly, obviously oblivious to Leon's glare. As she spoke, she only pressed closer to Doric. "Thank you for the offer, Laila! I'm sure we'll get along fine during the battle. I could hide in the trees and you can protect me!" And it only became more obnoxious when Maelys decided to show up, wrapping his arms around Orianna as if they were some sort of couple. Her eyebrow twitched slightly at the exchange, finding herself growing heated. "Ohmigosh, Maelys! It's been so long! You've gotten soooo much taller. And don't worry, I'm sure Dory won't mind~"
Bleh. This makes me want to... wait.
"Huh?" Sherry sent another glare at Doric, this one more vicious than the last. "You and this... Ori are a thing? When did this happen? Why didn't you--"
The question went unanswered. Their professor finally approached last, passing out vulneraries to the people who didn't have them. Her hand went to feel for the healing tonics at her belt again, making sure they were still there. Good. She couldn't be too careful. Especially since Maelys was prone to doing idiotic things sometimes. At the mention of them setting off, she turned away from the rest of her housemates, skulking towards the horses that were prepared for them. Perhaps the ride to the forest would cool her temper...
---

Yhirel, she'd forgotten how it felt to ride a horse for two hours, especially if said horse cycled between a trot, canter, and gallop for the whole time. Thankfully, Sherry enjoyed riding; during her hunts, she'd almost always be on horseback, very rarely setting foot on the ground as she tracked her quarry. What made it worse was the slight chill that was in the air. They were only in the midst of the Amber Moon and it felt like it was late autumn here. The cold weather disgruntled her even more; why did Mordlind have to be so cold? Just why? It didn't make any sense! It wasn't even that far away from the Irinduil Monastery!
The best course of action was to remain deathly silent during the whole trip, of course. Between the nippy breeze, the change in command, and the sight of Doric being smothered by that girl, she knew it was a bad idea to open her mouth. So, she didn't breathe a word. Instead, she thought about what she would do once they arrived at the forest. The lance at her back only became heavier by the minute.
The woodland became more dense as they neared the rendezvous point. Soon enough, they were surrounded by evergreen trees that arched over their heads and stretched into the sky. And soon after that, she heard the fighting in the distance. The clash of swords. The cries of battle. Was that blood she scented in the air, blowing in from the north? Or was that just her? Adrenaline was beginning to course through her veins as their caravan of horses slowed to a stop.
"Good, yer 'ere," said an armored man as he stepped towards them from the shadows of the trees. Despite the pepper that salted his blond hair and mustache, he carried himself like a man their age. His platemail was scuffed and plastered with dirt and blood alike, though the sigil of House Ravaleth still shone brightly at his breast, alongside the holy symbol of Yhirel. "Fightin's already started, if ye 'ouldn't figure it ou' already."
Sherry eyed him carefully, reaching back to pull her lance from her back. Wait, she recognized this man... wasn't he the great Sir--
"By Yhirel's holy light, it's Sir Horatio Talvern!" Orianna shrieked in excitement as she dismounted her horse. The girl practically sprinted up next to her, bouncing on her heels excitedly. "He used to be one of House Ravaleth's greatest knights! Did you know that he once fought off twenty enemies all on his lonesome?"
"Great. I don't care," Sherry muttered, exasperated.
"'ve got the main forces pinned 'n the edges of the forest. The lot o' 'em are surrounded-- they won't be 'scapin," Horatio continued, ignoring the discrepancy in front of him. "You bunch'll be headin' into the center of the wood. Cut down the rest of 'em 'n salvage what'er ye can. Get a move on-- 've don't got all day!"
Sherry turned back to her housemates, looking them over to make sure they were all ready. Finally, she looked upon Doric. Now wasn't the time for jealousy-- they were about to charge into an actual battle. "At your word," she stated simply.

Lapis Zuval
Mentions: People
Interacting: (Briefly) Ori @Luminosity

The two weeks post the mock battle had been quite an adventurous one for Lapis. She had taken the time to speak with most of her classmates (save for Parthenia and Maelys), and surprisingly to herself, had a delightful conversation with Professor Talbot of the Green Falcons. As the older man had said, Juno was very knowledgeable in many subjects, and yes, even magic. Each class she held, the blue haired woman found herself craving more and more to take time out of her day to attend. Be it a regular lecture or a seminar, Lapis's insatiable thirst for knowledge was gradually being fed more and more with each passing day. She had even offered tutoring to those who did not understand the more text-based subjects as well as she did.

Lapis, though she did not specialize in brute strength like Sherry with her lance or Laila with the battle axe, thrived in the magical lessons Juno gave them. It was quite apparent that magic was her calling as each lesson to her had been as simple as the very basics. And thankfully this time around, Juno had been sober enough to answer the bluenette's questions that Professor Talbot had not been able to answer.

----

She, as well as the other Red Chimeras, were ready to depart for their mission. Lapis had brought with her some vulneraries just in case push came to shove. She hoped they wouldn't have to use too many of them, but if possible she would like to avoid the worst case scenario of "not having enough."

Lapis did think about the potential scenario, but considering how strong her classmates and professor were, she believed there was nothing to worry about.

Though, much to her surprise, it wouldn't be just them on this mission. A new girl was going to be accompanying them, this one a healer by the looks of it! Oooh, Lapis had so many questions to ask her! But, she seemed to be friends with the other high nobles; would she answer Lapis at all if she tried to talk to her?

It would be best to find out at another time, but she would be happy to make acquaintances with the girl, who was apparently named Ori!

----

She'd never had the chance to properly ride a horse before, save for lessons when she was very young so as to not make a fool of herself in front of potential marriage candidates. Her biological father had insisted she learn more, due to Lapis's posture being off and her reign hands too limp, but that was before he'd sent her away.

Now, riding a beautiful horse (for two hours) in the delightful chill made her feel so much better. In a way, it reminded her of home at the library during more quieter and simpler times. She hadn't been away from home for too long and she already felt homesick.

They had arrived at their destination, stopped by a knight in shining armor and a sigil of House Ravaleth. Ori's excited introduction of the man piqued her curiosity, and she spoke before she could stop herself.

"Please tell me all about him when we return~" She requested of Ori, though quickly quieted down as she waited for Doric's mark.

Theodoric Branden Marlon
Mentions: Sherry (@Luminosity ), Maelys (@Solace ), Parthenia (@Astoria )
Yhirel take him, why were they like this? At this point, Theodoric heavily regretted being polite enough to Orianna to not simply shake her off. He sighed, gently extricating his arm from her grasp as he faced Maelys and Sherry.

"Don't be absurd, we only met last week. Professor Juno requested a student from the Green Falcons to work with us for this assignment, given that we don't have any Faith magic users ourselves." He explained away smoothly, hoping no one would continue to question why she was hanging off his arm. Hell, he wanted to question why she was hanging off his arm. He just didn't want to admit it.

"And I understand, Parth. I can promise a better effort on my end in terms of that." Doric said simply as he mounted his horse, feeling right at home in the saddle. "As you say, Professor. Let's move out."

___

The cold was familiar, and Doric welcomed it. He hadn't been away from Mordlind for long, but he'd already missed the weather of his home. His expression turned stoic as the sounds of battle drew closer. It was time. For his part, he'd killed before. But Theodoric doubted most of his house mates had. He'd have to account for first kill jitters in the midst of combat, and cover them accordingly. Hopefully, Professor Juno was cognizant of this as well.

"Understood, ser." Doric nodded gratefully at the knight, thumping a fist against his chest in salute to the man. He turned back towards the Red Chimeras and Orianna, dismounting and drawing his sword. "Everyone down onto your feet. Horses will be more hindrance than help in a thick forest like this. Maelys and Parthenia, take point. Sherry and I will follow immediately afterwards. Leon, Alexander, watch our flanks, each of you to a side. Lapis, Orianna, stay in the center of the formation and support with magic where you can. Laila, you're rear guard. Ensure no one attempts to attack us from behind, and keep an eye on the magic casters once the fighting starts."

"Stay alert, and watch the trees around you for possible ambushes. Remember, these are desperate men seeking any way out of their predicament. Show no hesitation when you strike, because they'll give no quarter in return."
Doric finished, motioning for the group to advance. "By your leave, Professor."

HzIEOPr.png

Mentions: @Psyker Landshark [Theodoric], @Astoria [Parthenia], @Luminosity [Sherry], @Nim [Laila], @Rouge Rogue [Leonid], @Jessica2477 [Lapis] @Demon Shinobi [Alexander]​

Compared to the slow leisure ride back to the monastery after the mock battle, Maelys did not particularly enjoy the breakneck gallop that Professor Juno mandated in order to reach the point of interest in time, nearly losing his balance on the horse several times throughout the two hours of rapid travel. In some other timeline, had the boy not been careful, it was likely that the horse would have dragged him along by the ground instead. He quietly cheered with a breath of relief when their class finally entered the Amissa Woodlands, noting the dramatic change in scenery as the forests seemed to only grow more dense the further they went into House Ciran territory. It was within the boscage where their convoy slowed down, for the sounds of ongoing battle were fresh in the atmosphere.

That was when Sir Talvern from the Knights of Yhirel greeted them in a rather fleeting manner, which was quite understandable; the man had his own battle and men to return to on the outer rim of the forest. Without a hint of hesitation, Professor Juno acknowledged the knight's short briefing, climbing from her horse and signalling that the mission was officially commenced. She took the longbow that was slung around her shoulder, turning towards the class while they followed Theodoric's direction to dismount. "Do you know how many of them there are?" she asked Sir Talvern without looking in his direction.

"'Bout fifty o' 'em in total," the knight responded, motioning his head down towards the direction where the path was leading them. "'ut I reckon you lot 'ill have 'bout twenty. Some o' 'em ain't ev'n leave their diapers yet. My men 'ave the bigguns 'n check."

While Maelys was growing increasingly apprehensive for the events to come, Sir Talvern's peculiar accent and manner of speech only left him knowing that there were about fifty enemies in total, and that they were going to deal with about twenty of those fifty. All of the knight's stories had painted Sir Talvern in a completely different image for the noble, and it was surprising to see just how different the real Sir Talvern was from first impression.
"Duly noted," Professor Juno replied, darting among the Red Chimeras to account for any potentially missing necessities among their supplies and giving each of them a comforting pat on the shoulder. "Keep one another safe, but most importantly, keep yourselves safe. I'll be fighting, too, so don't hesitate to find me if you're in danger. This is no mock battle; as Theodoric said, spare them no quarter."

His limbs continued to shake with increasing anxiety, despite their professor's reassuring words. It was plainly obvious for one to notice that Maelys was not mentally prepared, but nonetheless, the boy wore half a smile on his face. He just couldn't understand how Professor Juno or Theodoric could exude such a confident and firm demeanor, even if it was true that they'd taken another life before. His left hand went to wrap around the hilt of his slumbering sword, only to find that he was, instead, grabbing at his retching stomach. "Oh, shucks..." the boy shook his head, looking down towards his feet in nausea as he was ordered to take point alongside Parthenia. He took a few deep breaths, remembering the promise to be strong for the others and bringing his blue eyes forward. "No more time to dilly-dally, Red Chimeras. Arrange yourselves in formation with weapons in hand, and let's move out. I'll be right next to you."

The Red Chimeras marched towards the center of the Amissa Woodlands, their silence perpetuating the sounds of battle that lingered beyond the trees that surrounded them. Those two minutes seemed to last for an eternity as they began to pass upon wagon after wagon at sporadic intervals, all in differing conditions; some were untouched, while others appeared demolished. There were no corpses, but a few of the intact wagons carried large metal cages that each contained some sort of animal, some of which were concealed by a large tarp draped over its frame. The animals were all restrained in some manner, such as manacles and muzzles for the wolves in their captivity. It was safe to deduce that the poachers abandoned their wagons and scrambled to repel the knights' ambush.

As their primary focus was to rout the remainder of the poachers that broke off from their main forces, they were not yet responsible for securing the animals in captivity until afterwards. Their formation continued to march down the path until they entered the central clearing, where they finally came to a head with their quarry. It was at that moment when Maelys finally realized the meaning behind Sir Talvern's words; from what he could make out, about a quarter of their 'targets' were just as old as they were. They were just teenage boys and girls, scrambling around under the orders of the adults in their company. More wagons lined the outer edges of the clearing, while a large number of the poachers seemed to be attending to one specific wagon in particular that carried an exceptionally large cage in concealment. Most of them were modestly equipped for battle; Maelys could see all sorts of weapons among them, as well as nooks of leather armor that hid under their dark clothing.

Spearheading their formation towards the right, Professor Juno remained vigilant and nodded towards Theodoric. A few steps away from her, Maelys' nerves were coming to a fever pitch as his fists clenched within his now-equipped gauntlets, quietly mumbling a prayer to himself. 'Dear Yhirel and the three Saints, dear Pleiades...' "Please guide our feet, and watch over us." he recited as they stood at the precipice of battle, seeing one of the younger poachers who must have been no older than fifteen years of age point towards them. A number of them drew their hands up as an older poacher suddenly emerged from one of the nearby wagons ahead of them, his hands also openly raised.
His peppered hair spiked out to the left side of his head while the other side was shaved entirely, pulling down the robe top that concealed his mouth to reveal two rows of mangled teeth. Individually, the man seemed better fitted than the rest of the poachers, sporting a beaten-up breastplate and patches of armor around his biceps and wrists.

"Now, now, me an' my boys... we been through a lot. We don't want aaany trouble," the representing poacher attempted to approach the situation in a negotiating manner, wearing a grin that solidified his words as disingenuous. Professor Juno had been staunch in telling them that there was no negotiation to be had, and that the lives of the poachers were already forfeit. The twitch of his right hand prompted Juno to spring into action as the man dug into his pocket and threw a maroon-colored sphere towards them. She nocked and fired an arrow that managed to intercept the sphere midway, causing it to explode into medium-sized embers that temporarily lingered between them and the lone poacher. Cursing, he drew two daggers and proceeded to hurl one towards Parthenia, before retreating behind the wagons and out of view. "Stay focused!" Juno shouted as the distant poachers began to draw from their assortment of weapons, quickly slinging her bow back and drawing her rapier.

Maelys' heart began to thump wildly when he saw about fifteen poachers fanned out in all directions in an attempt to surround them, charging towards their position. He tried to even out his breathing as he took the southpaw stance, bringing the gauntlets up to defend himself. Tempered enough to stay within the vicinity of their designated formation, the noble came forward to meet the advancing poachers head on, steeling himself. His arm reared back for a strike as he clashed with one of them, though his swing went wide when Maelys saw that it was one of the youths among them. His opponent took advantage of the hesitation, their blade clanging against the metal of his gauntlets as he crossed them together to deflect the slash.

Waves of adrenaline surged through his body, urging him to shove the blade back and stagger his opponent before momentum fueled the noble's counterattack. Maelys followed through with an uppercut, the two talons on his right gauntlet jamming into the youth's jaw as blood sputtered from their mouth, splattering over his arms and face. Life drained from the boy's grimy face as his sword fell to the feet of his killer, their last cries unintelligible from the blood that gurgled from their mouth. Maelys flinched at the wretched sight, delivering the final blow with a punch to the boy's windpipe and ripping their face from his other gauntlet. Their empty eyes remained open as their lifeless body slumped back with no resistance, with more blood pooling out from what remained of their torn face.

Time seemed to slow down around Maelys when he regarded the deathly gaze of the now deceased boy, his expression contorting with a multitude of emotions. He looked between the fresh corpse, the blood on his gauntlets and the crimson stains on his arms, his mouth hanging ajar as he wheezed in horror. "W-w-what have I done? What have I..." his voice squeeled as his eyes blinked rapidly, partially disconnected from the battle that raged around him. "Oh... gods, the blood..."

Laila Bellwood
Interaction: Lapis (@Jessica2477 ) Orianna (@Luminosity )
Mentions: A Fight!

The ride to the location of the battle was far from pleasant for Laila. She still needed to get used to riding horses, if she ever will. She just always felt more comfortable walking on her own two feet. She kept thinking that the horse would end up dropping her multiple times, considering the rather hastened pace they were travelling at. But finally, they arrived at the target location, where a knight that apparently had some fame to his name met them, and informed them of how things were.

Doric delivered his instructions on how he wanted things to go. Hearing that she was meant to cover for Lapis and Orianna, Laila offered a firm nod and moved to stand behind the two, and offered a brief pat to each "I won't let you down." She told the two, speaking in a confident tone. She had no intention of letting any either of them be caught from behind as long as she was there.

They started heading in the direction they needed to go, and Laila made sure to keep Lapis and Orianna in her sights, while also trying to stay aware of any sounds from the surrounding area. Arriving at the Amissa Woodlands, Laila saw their intended targets. Kids and adults alike, doing what they felt was needed to survive. It was a harsh reality, one that she was very aware of. Some of the people she had known ended up being executed due to participating in activities like this. She even saw her dad take care of some thieves who attempted to steal from their smithy. Even if she knew that they always had a reason behind it, there was always another path they could've taken.

As the exchange between the poacher leader and Professor Juno occurred, everything started happening much faster. Laila held a firm grip on her battleaxe, as poachers started coming at them from all directions, including three that were coming from behind. One of the poachers reached her, swinging down their dagger at her. It was done rather clumsily, so she managed to deflect it with ease. Without waiting, she swung her axe towards the poacher, slicing their top. It slowly started turning red, and the poacher charged at her again. This time he seemed to be hindered by the pain from his wound too, so he stopped short from performing a strong attack against her.

Using the chance given, Laila took another swing at the poacher, this time hitting him more properly. As the poacher dropped, Laila had no time to stop and look at his body. There were two more headed towards her, Lapis and Orianna from behind. Wanting to curse under the predicament, Laila quickly moved to stand between a poacher that was headed towards Orianna, stopping the poacher in her tracks. As the Poacher swung their sword at her, Laila blocked and looked towards the other poacher, who was still heading towards Lapis. Another swing of the sword was held back with her battleaxe as "Lapis! Behind you!" was called out. Without any ranged weapons, she had no way of stopping the other poacher, not without throwing away her own weapon.

Hoping that Lapis would be able to react on time, She turned to focus on the poacher that stood in front of her, appearing determined to reach Orianna and also take her down along the way. It was clear that this one, compared to the one with he dagger, had a bit more strength to him, although his attempted strikes were still rather sloppy.

Lapis Zuval
Mentions: Theodoric, Laila, The person she killed like the murderer she is
Interacting:

Lapis heard his commands and followed them, taking her spot at the center and readied her spellhand. She'd have to be weary of all sides and attack any poachers that took aim from a distance. Yes, she could do that. Her adoptive father had always told her that when a fight like this came, the opposing side would stop at nothing to ensure she and her classmates would not be a problem in the future. Lapis was aware of his words and took them to heart, she understood the circumstances of being thrust onto a battlefield with no prior experience... She knew that, when the day came that she would fight for her life, that it would be the worst feeling she would ever endure. A feeling that did not compare, as her father had put it. He stressed the importance of it when she'd been training, and why said training was so important. Every time he told her, she would nod and tell him that she understood...

But did she truly understand? What it meant to win a battle, to fight for one's life, and to ensure that she and the others would be able to see another day again?

No, she didn't.

No one could ever truly understand unless they experienced it first hand for themselves.

She'd kept an eye on everyone, sending her magic to distant poachers to scare them off and discourage them from even attempting their attack. Or, she would warn her classmates about an oncoming ranged attack to give them a chance to dodge. Lapis seemed to be doing relatively well, her reflexes helping her dodge arrows and spells that attempted to hit her. However, Laila's voice shouted at her, and Lapis was quick to turn towards the source.

A poacher who'd made it past her friend was charging right at her, dagger in hand and intent so evident in his eyes that Lapis felt a chill up her spine. She readied her spellhand, acting as a warning to try and deter him.

He didn't stop.

Lapis swallowed the lump in her throat. Her hand glowed and an arcane circle appeared before her. The poacher made a move to dodge to try and trick her but the bluenette knew better than to fall for such things.

He was drawing closer, and Lapis was hesitating.

Could she do it?

She had not thought about that question before; whether she could truly bring herself to end someone's life...

She was certain she could end an animal's life... so why not a human? They bled the same, no?

The issue was, she could separate herself from an animal. She could not relate to animals on a personal level. Humans, on the other hand... Lapis related far too much with other humans that it was difficult to even think about murdering one. She understood their emotions, could find ways to communicate with them, could share stories with them...

But the man who charged after her... She would have to end his story. If not, he would end hers.

Her family, her friends from back home, her future... They needed her to stay alive. Her parents did not invest so much gold just for her to die in her first battle.

But this man might have a family too...

"HYAH!"

The man's yell and the swing of his blade snapped Lapis back into reality, forcing her to cancel her spell and dodge. Her heart beat rapidly in her chest, adrenaline surging through her veins making body feel shaky.

He swung again, she dodged.

Lapis steeled her nerves and brought up her hand again, the arcane circle forming quickly.

"HRAH!"

The wind spell shot from her hand immediately and hit the poacher dead on. It cut through his clothes and whipped his skin, creating an open wound, but Lapis couldn't end it there.

He was getting ready to attack again.

She shot another cast of wind at him, but the gaping slash it made did not put him down. So, in hopes that this would be over, Lapis shot her spell one more time.

This time, the man stopped. Lapis's eyes widened.

An awful gasping noise escaped the poacher, his neck sliced open and a river of blood seeped from his wound quickly. His eyes, quickly losing life within them, met hers in a silent gaze that told her one statement before the man fell to the ground with a heavy thud.

"You did this."

Not a minute ago he was breathing the same air, and just like that, Lapis had taken that away from him. Her breath left her, eyes burning from the tears that threatened to form. She tried to relax herself and keep going. The battle wasn't over, and her classmates needed her, but one question flashed through her mind as the memory of murder burned itself within her brain.

'What have I done?'

Reactions: Nim
waifu4.png

MENTIONS: @Solace (Mael)
The march to the main clearing of the wood was excruciating. It wasn't because Sherry felt tired from the ride to the Amissa Woodlands, but because her whole body felt like it was being dragged down by lead. Her knuckles burned white and red, even as they entered the break in the trees. The enemy was prepared for their arrival, it seemed. And, despite them feigning a surrender, she knew that it was far from over. She was the least bit surprised to see that they did not intend to show their underbellies to their would-be murderers. Without any other delay, battle exploded around them. She was encompassed by a strange sort of tension, like energy in the air right before a thunderstorm. Taking up a fighting stance, she glanced about, searching for her first opponent.
Who would have known that the first person she fought would be someone charging at one of her other housemates? Mael stood stunned, blotched with blood and with a corpse at his feet. The look upon his features was undeniable; the boy was in shock. He didn't know about the girl that was rapidly approaching his flank, intent on running him through with her sword. Something overcame Sherry-- she bolted to Mael's side, just in time to parry the incoming blow with the tip of her lance. As the clang of steel rung in her ears, she locked eyes with her opponent, only to be shocked by her appearance. The girl was young-- younger than she was. Her face was still round and flecked with freckles. The look in her eye was nothing more than one of a cornered animal, desperate to escape.
Sherry's face contorted as she knocked the girl's sword to the side in an attempt to disarm her. But the girl held fast to her weapon and raised it again, taking advantage of her obvious hesitation. The sword came again, more wildly this time. Its edge whizzed past her. Sherry took a step back in alarm. The tension that crackled through her became sickly; it was something that was very much familiar to her. She wouldn't do it-- no, she couldn't--
The blade came again. Sherry was able to block the blow once more, but she was practically backed against Mael's flank. The look in the girl's glare became more confident. She knew that she didn't want to kill her. But as her heart raced and a cold sweat washed over her, Sherry knew that she had no other choice. Once again, the girl raised her blade, winding up for a large, upwards swing. Her torso was very much exposed; it was the perfect time for Sherry to strike. And so, she did.
With a grand lurch of her arms, Sherry stuck the point of her lance straight through the girl's stomach. Blood sprayed across her forearms as the look in the girl's eyes dimmed to a dead sheen, her hands dropping her sword and grasping the end of end of her lance in desperation. Sherry grimaced as she tore out the lance from her abdomen. The girl slouched, then fell over. With that, Sherry's first real fight had ended. It was out of sheer willpower that Sherry didn't end up emptying the contents of her stomach right there and then. She mustered up all of her strength to turn around to Mael, grabbing onto his arm to both shake him out of his daze and to steady herself.
"Mael!" she yelled over the cacophony of battle. "Snap out of it!"

d880905af49216fe8acd663cba00ed48.png

MENTIONS: @Jessica2477 (Lapis), @Nim (Laila)
With the way that Laila spoke to both Lapis and her right before the battle, Orianna thought this would all go smoothly and quickly. What she didn't expect was the whole place to turn into a literal bloodbath. It was a battle; what did she think it was going to be? A walk around the park? A frolic through a field of daisies?!
Nevertheless, her feet were very much frozen to the ground as she held her ground near Laila and Lapis, quivering with a mixture of adrenaline and fear. As she glanced haphazardly about the field, she caught sight of the Red Chimeras all engaging in battle, cutting down the young poachers. In the midst of the battle, she was able to locate the main combatant of the poachers-- the one that had engaged with Professor Juno at the beginning. He had pressed close to the wagon, his beady gaze swaying over the fight as a couple of others joined him.
Her thought process was broken when she felt Laila clash with one of the poachers. She was quick to dispatch him, but Orianna noticed the other two that quickly rushed them. She whimpered slightly, wanting to hide behind Lapis and Laila and cower away from the violence. But the two girls were trying their best against the enemy. Why couldn't she do the same? This was all so scary...
As Lapis culled the first poacher, the other one clashed with Laila again. This one was stronger than the last, even she could tell that. Orianna felt weak, flimsy. But the person that was actually protecting her needed help. She had to swallow her fear and strike before it was too late--!
"I-I'll help you, Laila!" Orianna cried out as she raised her hands. A moment passed before white light swirled around the attacking poacher, making him yelp as the faith spell singed his skin. The spell wasn't one of her strongest-- she could have certainly done better, but it felt strange hurting another person... "There, an opening, go for it!"

Theodoric Branden Marlon
Mentions: Sherry (@Luminosity ), Maelys (@Solace ), Parthenia (@Astoria )
This was it, then. True combat, again. Having been through the anticipation of battle once before, Doric exhaled softly, his grip on his sword tight. There was no room for doubt here. This was his duty and his calling.

Theodoric steeled himself as the battle began, leveling his sword and meeting the poachers' charge as the first wave rushed down Maelys and Parthenia. A quick glance at the assorted group charging forth was all he could afford to pick a target. Their formation would hold for now, especially with the professor being a massive force multiplier for them. A good portion of the enemy were the Red Chimeras' age, and they seemed worse trained and equipped than they were. Hopefully, they could leverage the skill and arms gap in their favor enough to compensate for lower numbers. And morale. Kill enough of them without taking heavy casualties, and that would cause the inexperienced to break.

Doric set his mouth in a grim line as one poacher attempted to juke past Maelys and Parthenia while they were dealing with their own foes. He dashed forward, his blade crashing against the young man's hastily-raised twin daggers before the bandit managed to shove him away. Theodoric gripped his bastard sword in both hands, stepping forward and delivering a quick horizontal slash. The attack managed to only graze the poacher's clothing, and he stepped away with a thin red line across his chest, eyes wide with panic. The teenage poacher screamed in a mixture of fury and terror as he held his daggers wide, charging forward in desperation.

And there it was. An opening. Wasting no time, Theodoric did as years of training bid, and shoved his sword straight through the charging boy's chest, impaling him on his sword. Blood. As much as there'd been the first time he'd killed. Theodoric's expression wavered for but a moment before he forced himself to rip his blade back out of the poacher's chest.

"I must not waver. I cannot waver. This is what it means to be of Marlon's line." He murmured to himself, the mantra serving to help to at least focus him somewhat as he drew back for a moment, surveying the field before him. Damn. Maelys was hyperventilating from his first kill, and someone else was already charging at him. He wasn't in range to counter-charge, so magic would have to do. Doric raised his free hand and began to conjure a Fire spell, but his eyes widened as he realized he wasn't going to make it in time to save Maelys. No. No. No-

Oh, thank Yhriel. Sherry intervened just in time. Theodoric exhaled briefly, relieved, before forcing himself to focus again, searching for a different target to redirect his already prepared Fire towards. There. Someone was attempting to sneak up on Parthenia while she was otherwise engaged. Doric let the Fire spell loose towards the bandit attempting to creep up on Parth and brandished his sword before charging back into the fray.

leeeoon.png

𝕷𝖊𝖔𝖓𝖎𝖉 𝕳𝖊𝖈𝖙𝖔𝖗 𝕾𝖞𝖑𝖒𝖆𝖗𝖊
mentions: the creww

Leon had dismounted his horse far before Doric gave the order to do so.

After two excruciating hours trapped atop a four-legged monstrosity, Leon was all but numb - in body and mind alike. Full of danger as the forest was, he welcomed its embrace as a chance to stretch his legs. There was no running now, anyhow. The only way to get out of the predicament was over the dead bodies of their quarries.

He made sure he had his bow and blade in tow, then veered off to the right. He supposed Alex mirrored his motion to the other side, as instructed. From there, he followed along as they passed abandoned wagons, animals trapped in cages, and long stretches of silence. On their part, anyway; somewhere far ahead, the sounds of conflict punctuated their march with disturbing precision. A clink, a clank, a shout, a scream, a moment of silence - and then it all began anew.

Stalking along in the shadows, Leon was starting to feel his hands sweat. A deadly thing, for an archer. As if the trees themselves didn't hinder him enough. It mattered not - he still had a perfectly fine blade on his hip.

They found the poachers soon enough - or a few of them, at the very least. Leon was not disillusioned enough to think the ones they saw were all there was. He couldn't tell if they'd left the younger ones in view on purpose, perhaps as an attempt to draw sympathy from the soldiers. It might have been an effective enough a tactic, had Leon not known that children were just as capable of cruelty as adults. When it came to life or death, age mattered not; each living being fought tooth and claw to cling to a tomorrow.

Leon couldn't tell whether the poacher that tried to negotiate with them intended to fool them or not, but he was doing a lousy job regardless. Leon knew the smell of a lying scoundrel. He'd seen a hundred on the streets, and a dozen more in the Sylmare court. He saw one more each time he caught his reflection on clear water.

The clash of magic and arrow signaled the start of the battle.

Leon slunk away. With the forest itself as his cloak, he distanced himself from the epicenter of the conflict towards the flank as instructed. He'd stood in hiding but for a moment when he already heard the brush rustle with life. A young man, though older and larger than him, was making his way through the forest. Attempting to ambush the main group, no doubt.

Silently, Leon fell into a rhythm behind him. One step for each of his, another whenever the man exhaled or brushed against the shrubs. He could have shot him from here, perhaps, but that would have opened his back to be shot by the man's companions. There were more in the forest around them, stalking, prowling, just as he was. He knew it.

With each series of steps taken, Leon gained on the man. And the closer he drew, the louder his heart beat. For the longest time, he thought it to be anxiety; the fear of getting caught, the threat of metal upon his flesh. The threat of blood.

By the time he was an arm's reach away, he realized it was none of those things. It was excitement. It was the rush of a picked pocket, the thrill of a tall tower conquered. There the man was, right in front of him, none the wiser of his presence. And from where he stood, he had all the power over him. He was but a penniless boy, raised on the street - but to this man, here and now, he was the reaper itself.

Leon held his breath, sword drawn, and stepped closer. He'd been taught how to do this. He'd practiced it many a time, but never all the way to the end. He'd killed before, yes, back when he lived on the streets. The fights that broke out over food or territory rarely ended in a truce, after all - and sometimes, taking someone's last piece of bread or their only shelter was condemning them to death. It happened, but it was never deliberate.

He'd never... hunted down a man before.

So when Leon's hand cupped over the man's mouth and his blade slit across his throat, he expected--- something more. A scream, a struggle, a pang of guilt or a moment of hesitation. Thicker skin, harder to cut. He expected his hands to tremble, or his eyes to water. But there the man was, lying dead at his feet, and all Leon could think of was how strangely easy it'd been. He didn't feel like a monster - and he felt like a monster for it.

A twig snapped somewhere behind him, and even that thought dissipated. Leon fell back into a prowl, his heartbeat picking up once more. But this time, he could no longer deny what for.

Last edited:
Laila Bellwood
Interaction: Lapis (@Jessica2477 ) Orianna (@Luminosity )
Mentions: A Fight!

As she was keeping the guy in front of her at bay, Laila tried glancing to Lapis and see if her friend was doing alright, but she was in no position to check as the strikes kept coming. This poacher was certainly faster than what she had antipicated, and packed a bit more punch than the previous one. And she had to make sure Orianna would be safe, since she was meant to serve as a healer. She also didn't know her capabilities, but she know Lapis had some spells in her bag.

Suddenly, however, a white light came over the poacher, and Laila could hear Orianna telling her to go for it. Seeing the light had provided her with an opening, she swung her axe across his chest, before watching as the poacher stumbled back from the hit. Without waiting, she charged in for another hit, managing to slash his lower abodomen. She briefly watched as the poacher fell to the ground, ensuring he was no longer a threat, before turning to look at Lapis. She saw the other poacher was on the ground, blood around his body, and Lapis appeared safe. She managed to keep herself safe, making Laila believe she had made the right choice for the moment.

The moment of respite did not last long, as Laila spotted another poacher that tried flanking Lapis. Without any hesitation, she charged forward and blocked him off, a couple of steps away from Lapis "You aren't getting to her!" She shouted at him, before pushing him back with as much force as she could muster. The poacher just looked at Laila for a moment, before beginning to run away from her. While she thought of chasing him down, Laila still needed to keep Orianna and Lapis as safe as possible. And that was the only thing she kept thinking of, keeping the two safe. She couldn't allow herself to think about anything else. However, she did think of something else "Lapis, Orianna, we have a runner!" She called out to the two to let them know.

Parthenia Harland Ciran
Mentions: y'all

All the way up to the battle proper, Parthenia had uncharacteristically blanked out.

What was with that girl next to Dory anyway?

With how quickly the battle developed after they arrived, it served as an excellent wake up call for Parthenia to snap out of it, as she quickly began to take up point at Doric's request. Unlike most of the others, riding for hours did little to bother her. Had the fight not been on the edge of the woods, she would actually have preferred to remain mounted.

No more quickly than the time it took for her to dismount did the fight begin. In the blink of an eye, her fellow students were embroiled in a close melee. As heir to house Ciran, she had long steeled herself for the first time she would have to kill in true combat. Even so, she had never expected her first opponents to be mere youths like herself, some of them, even obviously younger than her. Although Parthenia might have liked to play it fast and loose with honor, the thought made her clench her fist around her weapon.

At the front, next to Maelys, she had no time to think further as she was immediately engaged. There was simply no choice. A young poacher approached, clumsily swung his large axe. Stepping aside, she let him overcommit, stumbling past her. Pivoting, she used the motion to thrust her lance backwards at his back. Although the young man managed to recover and hastily block her attack, it left him open once again.

With a single step, she didn't hesitate to swing upwards with her weapon, smacking his jaw with the metal counterweight of her lance with a sickening crack. She winced as the young man roared in pain, dropping his weapon before she kicked him down. Staring down at the incapacitated man on the ground, she hesitated; with his jaw broken and his face bludgeoned, he was out of the fight. But no matter how young he was or how innocent he had looked, he was a criminal, and he had tried to kill her.

Without another thought, she brought her spear back down on him.

Bringing the bloodied weapon back up, Parthenia was surprised at herself. She had felt less emotion than she had thought. Was it just the adrenaline of being in battle?

Again, she had little time to think. She heard the roar of fire magic from behind, turning in time to glimpse of a sword-wielding poacher narrowly avoiding the spell. Seeing it had come from Doric and had served its purpose in alerting her, she made sure to thank him after the fight, before charging the swordsman to get back into the fight.

HzIEOPr.png

Mentions: @Luminosity [Sherry], @Psyker Landshark [Theodoric], @Astoria [Parthenia], @Nim [Laila], @Rouge Rogue [Leonid], @Jessica2477 [Lapis] @Demon Shinobi [Alexander]
A bump to his flank and the desperate tugging at his arm pulled Maelys back into the center of discord. His skin was flushed with sweat, shaking away the onset of tears that were forming from his eyes. Burdened breaths expelled from his open mouth as he turned to face the one who drew close, rearing his right arm back and preparing to end another life until he saw that it was Sherry. His crazed expression bore into the redhead, shaking his head incoherently after her words and dropping his attack. His gaze wandered back to the corpse of the boy at his feet, nearly falling back into his shaken condition until the approach of another poacher threatened him. The drawback into reality had managed to return the noble to his senses, feeling the fires of the fray pull him into fight or flight.

Maelys let out a thunderous roar as his left arm yanked itself from the grasp of his classmate, the predator within his eyes locked on the next enemy that came forward. He stepped over the corpse without a second thought, his left gauntlet colliding with the poacher's axe as the strength behind his fist staggered them. The noble shifted his body with the momentum and spun towards the right, wheeling around to deliver a sharp kick to the poacher's head with his right foot. His unsuspecting opponent stumbled to the ground, haphazardly swinging his axe in his disoriented state. As he was quick to come forward to follow up with the finishing blow, he jumped into the air to avoid the blade and landed atop of the poacher's neck, crushing their windpipe beneath his boots.
"It was you... or me," he remarked in a cold manner.

The triumph over his second enemy was short-lived as the blade of a throwing knife sank halfway into his chest, causing Maelys to recoil slightly. His face momentarily flashed with pain, though the boy made no sound or indication as the hurt subsided into mere discomfort from the rush of adrenaline. His eyes wandered in the direction of the attack, seeing the familiar face of the supposed poacher leader turning away in a dash towards the wagon with the biggest concealed cage. Though he had learned and been hard pressed to do otherwise, his logical thinking was otherwise clouded from the rush of energy, leading the noble to pry the knife from his chest as blood spilled from the injury.

From the right side of the Red Chimeras' formation, Professor Juno remained alert for any sudden changes in their battlefield and the conditions of her students, walking over another corpse and advancing beyond their position to contend with three poachers. Initially confident in their advantage in numbers, they were quickly placed on the defensive end as she opened with a flourish, deflecting their attacks in rapid succession. Her swordplay demonstrated flair and mastery that was far beyond the mettle of mere bandits; the sharp end of her rapier found a lethal, precise cut across one throat as she ducked under another blade and shuffled her weapon into her other hand while spinning around them. Her rapier plunged cleanly through the back of another, using her strength to move their body around to intercept the third poacher's sword slash. Her foot forced the deceased individual from her blade and towards the third one, who simply turned away and ran towards her leader after two poachers had been killed in a manner of seconds.

"We have them now!" Juno exclaimed to her students, seeing that the Red Chimeras had dispatched nearly half of the poachers' ranks. Including the very few that remained directly engaged, there were approximately thirteen remaining enemies between them and their leader. Most of them were concentrated around the wagon of interest, and took up a defensive formation in anticipation of their advance. While it did not account for potential reinforcements, she was confident that the skirmish would come to a swift end, though a mounting sense of dread lingered at the back of her mind as a familiar affliction brought her dash to a limp. "Push them back!"

Alexander Zephaniah Ravaleth
Currently Location: Amissa Woodlands
Interaction/Mentions: A few, but eh...

Journey to Battle

Alexander had been working hard in his endeavors to try and keep up with his school work in addition to the chores he'd caused for his class. He was no stranger to the added labor nor was he unaccustomed to getting his hands dirty. In fact, the chorses were easy compared to everything else. Dealing with people, was annoying. Surprisingly, he'd had a better time interacting with his classmates than expected, albeit with a few exceptions.

The top of the shit list though, was class. Though he felt he was improving and that he was trying as hard as anyone else, if not harder, he couldn't help thinking professor was being a little extra harsh with him. Maybe she was angry with him? Or maybe she hated him? Even if she didn't, it was hard not to feel like she did. It didn't help that he refused to stay down.

Luckily, though the training was harsh, Alex was always rather happy to learn. He had even been happy, perhaps a bit excited even, to learn the details of their first mission. Was that bad? Maybe he shouldn't have been so gungho.

As they prepared to set out, he felt an odd mix of anxiety with that same excitement. from earlier. He knew their task. Nerves as he prepared to potentially take human life, an excitement for god knows what might happen. And yet, as he dived deeper into the recesses of his mind, he quickly felt himself pulled from his thoughts by Sherry's worried questioning. "Yhirel... Are you okay? Scared maybe, Princess?" he asked with a playful chuckle. Either way, he clammed up quickly. It was probably better to look and listen than talk for the time being.

It seemed that the choice of second in command was under scrutiny. At least a little anyway. He did comment. It wasn't like he thought he'd be any better of a leader. Besides, after sparring with Doric, he had a little more confidence in the guy's skill. That was more than he could say for Sherry. As for Parthenia, he still didn't know much about her. Or Mael for that matter.

The cruel fate of the world, such as it was, was that people died everyday, at times by the hands of other humans. He found himself worrying more now in the moment than he had the entirety of the past week. Though he had no qualms with killing a criminal, a dastard like a poacher who may not have cared much for the life of things around him, he still worried. It was one thing to think about it, to try and stell himself and his resolve. But when the time came, would he be able to do it.

Alex didn't utter another word. There ranks had been joined by a girl. Some of the others were quick to greet her. She wasn't armed. A healer maybe? Ah... Orianna was her name.

Wait... Her and Doric? What did Mael mean by that? Hmmm~ Curious. Alex thought silently with a soft chuckle. What made it better was the slight bit of frustration garnered from Sherry.

"Ooooh~? Is the princess jealous?" he commented slightly before letting the professor know that he was indeed prepared with vulneraries of his own, which he promptly made sure of before they set off.

Alex... was not a fan of horseback riding. He couldn't do it, but it was more a necessity than a want. Were he awarded a steed, he'd have much preferred a wyvern if he were being honest. As the trip progressed, he didn't seem quite bothered by the cold weather, more so, it wasn't much the biggest deal.

Prelude to Battle

As they arrive and met the man, Sir Horatio Talvern, he eyed him up and down calmly. Ori's excited introduction had gotten him more than just a little interested. "Used to be?" he asked quietly under his breath. What did she mean by that? What had happened? Alex wouldn't get any answers it seemed though as the man himself was shoving them off. That wasn't so bad, he guessed. They were here for a battle after all. And from the sounds of it, the battle had already been raging.

Doric quickly took the lead as was expected. This was a completely different feeling than when Sherry had been in charge. "Alright, I guess I can do that," Alex responded with a small grin as he was given his orders. All he needed to do was head to which ever said Leon wasn't and make sure nobody got through right. Doric had them covered their bases fairly well, but how likely was it that they would be able to stay safe and together?

It didn't seemed to matter much as they entered the Amissa Woodlands. Alex took a deep breath, swords at the ready as he got into his position.

And just like that, they were there. His eyes widened for a moment as the people their targets became clear. There were poachers about his ages, some younger even. He sucked in a breath, stealing himself before his surprise could really be noted. Gritting his teeth questions ran through his mind. Could this have been him? What if he hadn't be so lucky as to have Ravaleth blood coursing through his veins? Might he have turned to crime?

He shook his head. There was no time for this. Professor Juno's interception was what appeared to be some kind of incendiary marked the beginning of things to come. He had to steel himself for what came next as the poachers, the young, began to move in.

The Heat of Battle

Alex had chosen to remain closer to the group than Leon. He was better suited to covering the flank if he were closer, as he wasn't as adept as utilizing the forest's terrain as Leon seemed to be. So, he'd put a little distance between himself and the group. He was close enough that if anyone did manage to pass him, he would be able to move back into place swiftly, but still had a bit more room to maneuver himself. Staying too close wouldn't do much good to anyone after all.

It didn't help thought that everything seemed to happen so fast and yet move so slow all at once. Maelys felled an enemy, and so too did Lapis. What were they thinking in that moment? No... He knew exactly what was going on in their minds. He wanted to say something to snap Maelys out of it, do something to help Lapis in some way, but in the moment, even if he'd been able to think of something could he? What insight could he offer? He was about as experienced in actual combat as them.

Luckily, Sherry was quick to jump to his side, both helping defend him and aiming to pull him out of his relative stupor. Orianna moved to help Laila. Good.

The battle was in full swing as one of the poachers charged Alex. He tightened the grip on his blade. The boy was about his age, maybe a year older. He wasn't much bigger, but there was a bit of a size difference all the same. Alex swung, his blade clashing with his attacker's before the man pulled a second dagger.

"Shit!" Alex griped as he backed away, narrowly avoiding a slash to the throat. He could feel his legs tremble for a moment. Death was a hair's breadth away. The poacher moved in once again, wishing to take this chance to bring Alex down. They clashed again. Everything seemed to blur together. Alex glowered, his body moving though he wasn't registering everything in the moment. All he knew he was doing, was staying alive. He growled all the same as the sting of the poachers dagger piercing the skin of his arm.

Alex opened his mouth to speak, but the young man's arm slumped, his dagger quickly falling to the ground. As his eyes traveled from the sight of the weapon, up to the face of his former attack Alex recoiled. There his blade was lodged in the neck of the poacher. Blood had sprayed, splatter across Alex's clothes and face, red coloring his hair.

It had happened so quickly, Alex had barely registered it. He'd aimed to hopefully end this initial confrontation with as little pain or suffering as possible. For him or for his attacker? He stared into the lifeless eyes of the boy who's head seemed merged with his sword. Alex had failed to cut through the entirety of the young man's thick neck, leaving it half severed, his sword lodged in the bone of his spinal cord. For a moment, Alex saw himself, his face, on the boys. He grit his teeth and squeezed his eyes shut as he lifted his leg to pushed the poacher off his blade.

Alex's chest heaved up and down for a moment as he tried to process what had happened. His earlier question had been answered. He had been able to take the life of another. But...

"Fuck..." he turned away from the corpse. Now wasn't the time to freeze. He had to take the shame, guilt, sadness, all those emotions that would make him question what they were doing there, why they had to kill boys and girls no older than themselves, and push them down. Bury them deep while on the battlefield, if he could.

Bury it down deep. There'll be time for grief and guilt later. He'd been having similar a lot recently. Guilt, worry... Push it down. That was all he could do.

Lost for a moment, Alex was pulled back to the battlefield by the call of the Professor. What? Surely that was too easy. Counted out the enemies who seemed to congregate in defensive formation around the wagon of interest. He exhaled softly, tightening the grip on the hilt of his sword once again. He needed to prepared to move in at a moments notice.

waifu4.png

MENTIONS: @Solace [Mael], @Psyker Landshark [Doric]

Sherry expected Mael to flinch from her touch or offer some sort of thanks. What she didn't expect was for the boy to whirl upon her with all the intensity in the world, his hand raised to strike. She winced, prepared to dodge the incoming attack, only to see that he had realized his mistake. His ferocity was still present as he returned his attention to the other poachers, his arms and legs delivering vicious blows as he practically mowed them down. All of the bloodshed and violence was making her dizzy, though she had to keep her head in the game. The rest of the Chimeras were doing well; some struggled in combat, but none of them fell. The bodies that littered the floor were unfamiliar, cold. She thanked Yhirel that her housemates were competent. If they kept it up, there would be no tears on this day.

In a rush of adrenaline, she whirled around to stick her spear into the gut of an unsuspecting poacher. The boy screamed and fell to the floor. Juno's words bolstered their morale; they had the upper hand. The feel of being in control, of being useful, slowly drowned out the negative feelings of shock and pity. There would be time to mourn after. She had to focus on the task at hand. As she tore out the tip of her spear from the corpse, she whirled around to take another glance over the battlefield.

There were suddenly new additions to the enemy forces-- three strangely robed figures huddled near the wagon with the largest cage. They wore crimson armor that looked sturdier than the rest of the poachers', who only seemed to be wearing leather. But what caught her attention the most was their masks. All of them had masks the shape of skulls, which completely covered whatever facial features might have revealed their identity. The one at the forefront had a vermillion blade at their hip as their head craned forward to speak to the leader of the poachers. Sherry's eyes narrowed as the cloaked cage shone brightly with spectral energy, its bars rattling with power. The poacher snarled something back to the leader of the strangely dressed figures, and though she couldn't hear their conversation, she could tell it was something that frustrated and distressed the man. Then, suddenly, in a swirl of black plumes, the entity with the red blade was gone, leaving their compatriots behind to help the poachers.

Sherry wanted nothing more than to charge the remaining enemies and simply overwhelm them with their force. Almost forgetting that she wasn't in charge of their mission, she ground her teeth. Should she just rush them either way? Maybe if she started running towards the wagon, everyone else would follow.
Ugh. Whatever, I'll have him have his fun.

"It's your call, Doric!"
she called over to the Marlon boy, sending a glare towards him. If he was smart, he'd take advantage in their shift from the offensive to the defensive.

Last edited:
Theodoric Branden Marlon
Mentions: yes
It alleivated Doric's worries somewhat that they were winning decisively. Multiple poachers slain without any of the Red Chimeras taking serious wounds thus far. Hopefully, they could get through this without casualties.

Theodoric cut down another poacher after covering Parthenia with a Fire spell previously, taking time to survey the battlefield. Alex and Leon were doing well in covering the flanks, and Lapis, Laila, and Orianna seemed to be dealing with a retreating enemy. Good enough.

Then, the battlefield shifted. Three strangely-robed assassins appeared, but only two stayed on the field. Doric narrowed his eyes at the sudden intrusion, taking note of their finer weapons and armor compared to the poachers they were supporting. Damn. He had no idea of their capabilities, but something told him these were fighters with actual experience under their belts, and shouldn't be taken lightly in any capacity. Still, they had bandits to mop up.

"Forward! We have the poachers on the back foot! Finish them off, but mind the masked ones and don't engage them alone!" Theodoric bellowed, raising his sword before trying to catch Professor Juno's eye, inclining his head in the direction of the masked fighters. If anyone had the best chance of defeating them, it was her. "Leon, Alexander, move up! Support the Professor as she advances! The rest of you, forward with me!"