Fire Emblem: Crestfallen | IC

Laila Bellwood
Mentions: Basically everyone!

After hearing Theodoric's remark, Laila wondered why he felt the need to act like that. Then Alex gave his thought, and she nodded in agreement. It would be a surprise if it ended in a not so terrible way. And before she knew it, Parthenia came to her, almost shouting straight into her ears, demanding to know what was that. She was confused for a moment, before remembering she gave her and Alex orders, and Laila ignored them to go help the others "I looked around, saw Mael and Sherry both down, so I decided to go provide them with an opening before either of them was knocked out by the Falcon's leader. I followed what my gut told me was the right move, not some leadership structure that was decided on the spot and seems to stem from who knows who." She retorted back, and then watched as Leon decided to step up and take the blame for the fire. Laila blinked twice. Was taking blame something that guys felt like they needed to do?

Before any further reactions could occur, Professor Juno spoke up, and after a bit, began to lead them away once one of the men that was helping take care of the fire came and spoke to Leon. Laila couldn't quite hear what was being said, but it seemed like it wouldn't matter to her, and they were then on the way back to the infirmary.

After an uncomfortable trip back to the monastery, once more on horseback, Laila was happy to get off. She didn't feel sick or anything, but it was her lack of riding of experience that made it uncomfortable. They quickly went back inside, and found their way to the infirmary. All four people that were knocked out during the mock battle were there. The Falcons went to their side, and Laila just, a bit amused, at the exchange that went on between Sherry and Mael, before the latter put on his shirt and Sherry went on about how they lost.

Moving towards Mael, she came close, and then punched him on the shoulder "You're an idiot for charging like that. But thanks for the warning shout about the ambush." Laila then turned to look at Sherry "There was no one declared winner or loser. And I think the whole mess occurred because there was no proper plan, no proper leadership structure to follow, and so on. And that led to people deciding things on the spot or to move on their own. Like myself, for which I am sorry Parthenia." She said, glancing towards the girl as she mentioned her name, before turning to look back at Sherry "So that is one thing we certainly need to sit down and discuss. Of course, not right now." she quickly added, remembering the Falcons were in the room with them.

Lapis Zuval
Mentions: People
Interacting: Alex (@Demon Shinobi ) (Briefly and subtle) Sherry (@Luminosity ) Maelys (@Solace )

Lapis faltered a little upon listening to her professor's honeyed reproach regarding her "pessimism" towards the dinner. She hadn't intended to come off that way; she just wanted to express concern when not too long ago one of the members of the opposing House seemed eager to take off Theodoric's head. Her judgment wanted to disagree despite herself having said she trusted Juno's. Winning the mock battle was not "nothing." It meant feeding egos and destroying confidence within oneself; not just a play fight among children. The more capable would become cockier and the weak would start to question their own capabilities; such as why they were at the Academy in the first place, or if they could even succeed. Their rocky confidence would become the new weak link that needed to be corrected as soon as possible, 'less the rest of the class wanted to suffer.

Lapis herself felt her own confidence shake from this mock battle and, well, she wasn't even sure if she could share these concerns with her own Professor. Juno carried herself differently from someone like Lapis. The blue haired woman was a learner; she craved knowledge. She was going to ask a lot of questions and request time out of her Professor's busy schedule if she needed to because she wanted to correct the faults that caused this insecurity. Juno on the other hand... Well, she didn't exactly seem the type who would want to listen to everything Lapis had to say or help to the fullest, despite it being her job. With more interaction, hopefully she would be able to sharpen her view of Juno's character, figure out the type of person she was, and how incorrect Lapis's initial impression was. For now, perhaps she should leave her questions to be answered by books or other Professors.

On their way to the infirmary, she gently bumped Alex with her elbow to get his attention. When she received it, she gave him a look and a friendly smile, non-verbally communicating with him.

'Thank you!'

There was also the thing with Leon. In the midst of battle he spoke as a commoner would, and yet when addressing the paladins of his own House, he spoke as a true nobleman. She would have to get him alone at some point; preferably soon.

After they'd walked into the infirmary and were directed to their House members, Lapis looked over her shoulder towards the opposing House members for a brief moment, letting her eyes linger on them. She wanted to walk over and thank them for the battle, since it allowed them to learn just how dysfunctional the Red Chimeras were. However, for an angry redheaded reason, she would have to hold off on any sportsmanship until later... Perhaps in a letter? Lapis wasn't sure if nobles held in such high regard such as them would want to be seen with a lowly commoner. She was lucky with Parthenia and Theodoric, but she knew nothing of the Green Falcons and didn't want to make assumptions. Yhirel knew just how many pompous nobles who believed they were too good to speak to her she had seen. The last thing she wanted was trouble...

Yes, a letter would do.

She returned her attention back to Sherry and Maelys, just in time for their House Leader to vent her frustration and Laila answer Sherry's question. When given the opportunity, Lapis spoke up.

"Laila's answer is completely correct, on everything." She began, "As for myself. "Charge" is a suicide mission for someone who excels in long distance combat, such as Leonid and I, and those who are... decent at best in close-ranged. That is exclusively me. Yes, it was your orders, but unfortunately I cannot cast my magic if I am more at risk of hurting you or Maelys than the enemy."

She pressed her hands together in front of her and smiled, "As Laila said, we should all sit down and discuss different strategies for multiple scenarios, when you both are well rested of course." Lapis referred to Maelys and Sherry, "The sooner we can come up with plans, the sooner we can cease humiliating ourselves in front of the Professors."

Theodoric Branden Marlon
Mentions: @Rouge Rogue (Leon), @Luminosity (Sherry), @Solace (Maelys), @Nim (Laila), @Jessica2477 (Lapis)
Juno's words took some of the edge off his disappointment, but Theodoric still didn't feel particularly pleased over his loss to Victor. Still, he didn't get much of a chance to think about it as he watched Leon's display to the Sylmare knights. While Doric was rather impressed with Leon's assumption of blame, he took special note of the bannermen's reaction.

None of the Sylmare knights had recognized Leon until another had confirmed it for them. How concealed had Leon been to even his mother's own soldiers? Of course, it was a house deeply involved with assassinations and the like, but concealing an heir from the populace at large was one thing. To hide who was most important to the line's continued existence from one's own bannermen was idiotic. This conundrum took Doric's mind off the mock battle for the moment as they made their way back to the monastery. After some thought, the only conclusion Doric could come to was that Leon was a bastard child that just so happened to be the only child of Sylmare to bear the Crest. It'd be entirely understandable in that case, he supposed. A last-choice bastard wouldn't have been known to the household retainers until recently.

Still, this wasn't his business to broach. Leon was Sylmare's heir. That was all there was to it. The nature of his birth and House Sylmare's affairs weren't Theodoric's concern. For now. It'd be useful to keep in the back of his mind, but unless he somehow became entangled with Cretan affairs, it was irrelevant to a man of Mordlind.

___

By the time they'd reached the infirmary, Doric was well-versed enough in Sherry's moods to not be particularly bothered by her attitude, giving Maelys a consoling pat on the back before turning back to her.

"Sherry, you didn't have a plan." Doric said flatly, shaking his head. "Screaming 'Charge!' and running into a concealed enemy position lance first isn't a plan. Laila and Lapis are entirely right about that. After today, we'll need to start sitting down and actually strategizing. I admit, telling the others to ignore your orders was undermining your authority, and for that, I apologize. I'm entirely willing to follow your lead, so long as you actually plan to lead." He stressed, before lowering his voice out of earshot of the Falcons. "We all have flaws to work on, myself included. Not only in terms of strategy and tactics, but also in terms of martial skill. I'm going to have to train considerably harder in order to...well, Victor had his blade at my throat." Doric trailed off, looking away and looking distinctly unhappy with his own performance.

leeeoon.png

𝕷𝖊𝖔𝖓𝖎𝖉 𝕳𝖊𝖈𝖙𝖔𝖗 𝕾𝖞𝖑𝖒𝖆𝖗𝖊
mentions: @Jessica2477 (lapis) , @Luminosity (sherry)

Leon was angry.

He was angry at the Sylmarean bannermen for making a fool out of him in front of his entire damn class. He was angry at Flint, because his whole predicament was that old coot's fault to begin with. He was angry at Chenoa, because she'd apparently neglected to inform her own men about his existence - and him of their ignorance.

Above all, he was angry at himself. For getting caught by the Sylmares. For losing the fight. For putting Lapis in danger. For bothering to play the part of a noble like some damn puppet - and failing at it, too.

He was just... angry, and lacked the acting prowess to truly hide it. The best he could do was stay quiet during their trip back to the monastery, gaze downcast so as to hide his scowl. He was too distracted to even panic about the horse under him. After all, now he had a far bigger threat looming over him; Chenoa. Getting scolded and slapped around was one thing, but if she decided he was more trouble than he was worth, there was nothing stopping her from sending an actual assassin after his ass. Not that she even needed to do that. Any of her own men would probably be more than happy to behead the scoundrel boy sullying their name.

Maybe that's why he was so angry, too. He was scared - a cornered animal, ready to lash out.

So when he entered the infirmary and noticed Sherry's death glare, he instinctively shot her back a look of his own. It was hostile, the look of a man ready to pick up his sword to fight until his last breath.

When Leon realized he'd done so, he quickly averted his eyes. Wordlessly, he assumed a place near the door. The best place to be, when you felt like a man trapped.

A conversation ensued.

Leon missed the start of it. He'd started tossing an arrow up in the air, catching it, then throwing it up again. It was therapeutic to focus only on the motion. But when Sherry started her tirade against the rest of the Chimeras, Leon found himself unable to stay his tongue any longer.

"... Plan?" Leon caught the arrow, but did not throw it back up. Instead, he shot a glare at their leader once more. He managed to sound less angry than he felt, if only because of his mocking tone. "There was a plan? That's news to me. All I remember is you screaming at us to 'charge' - and that's because someone else had already done so. I wouldn't call that a plan. I'd call that panic. And if your leader is incapable of thinking for themselves, much less for everyone else-- all you can do is improvise to stay alive."

He caught himself, but not fast enough to prevent the last two words from slipping out. It hadn't been a matter of life and death, he knew. But it could have been. And if it had been, he'd be dead. After everything he'd survived so far, that would have been it.

The arrow in Leon's hand snapped. He didn't realize he'd squeezed it so hard.

Thankfully, no one seemed to have noticed his little verbal slip up - everyone was more focused on defending themselves against the spoiled little princess. Throughout the room, people were starting to speak up and voice their concerns. Leon listened to Lapis's words with particular interest. He admired her calm tone, and figured it best if he did not agree verbally. He didn't trust his voice yet, and didn't want to muddle her points with an angry tone.

Overall, the complaints seemed to boil down to their (lack of) plan and leadership. He concurred. And yet... improvisation was the lifeblood of someone like him. Leon trusted his instincts far more than he did the arbitrary plans of nobles who'd never fought for their lives. He had no incentive to put his life in the hands of someone else - particularly if that someone had proven to be absolutely incompetent. So even if they had a plan the next time - having seen what he had, could he actually trust himself to follow it, even at the risk of it failing? He wasn't sure. And if just one person refused to follow a plan, what good was it for?

Leon fiddled with the head of the broken arrow, frustrated. This is why he hated not working alone.

Well, whatever they did, they should probably not do it here, with their enemy within earshot. They'd showed enough weakness and disorganization as things were. So, even at the risk of still sounding angry, Leon piped up from his spot.

"Fun as it is to put a poor authority figure in her place," he nodded towards the Green Falcons, eyes narrow, "We should probably be doing this elsewhere."

Last edited:
Alexander Zephaniah Ravaleth
The Infirmary and Then the Library
Interaction(s): Basically Everyone

Alex was largely quiet as things seemed to just kind of... happen around him. When Lapis nudged him and thanked him he smiled, giving her a nod of acknowledgment followed by a quick, "Don't mention it." They were members of the same house after all. Speaking up for one another wasn't a big deal. Although, the way things were going, it seemed to be that the issue was more the speaking at each other. He sighed. Right off the bat, the princess was focused on passing blame. Everyone was quick to chime in and subsequently turn on her. They weren't wrong. But...

"There's really no point to keep kicking a dead horse while it's down. Mistakes were made, but it wasn't just any one person," he said calmly as he moved a bit closer. "Maybe if we'd done something different, stuck together, blah blah blah..." Alex rolled his eyes. "There's also no point in worrying about what might have happened if we did things differently." At least, that was what he thought on the matter. Still, as Leonid pointing out that they weren't the only ones in the room, Alex sighed.

They already knew what they needed to do going forward. For now, there was no reason to belabor a a point. Plus, would need to start getting ready for that joint dinner. He took a deep breath. "Anyway, if we're done here, I'm gonna head out. It's starting to feel a little suffocating in here," Alex finally said after a brief silence. "Princess, Maelys, feel better. If anyone needs me, I'll probably be in the library, after I get cleaned up." It wasn't like he had anything else to say on the matter. He knew he would need to get back to training at some point, but now wasn't the time. He wanted to unwind, not needlessly strain himself. Still, he would have liked to take down at least one Falcon. Even if it'd been with help from Parthenia.

As he exited the infirmary, Alex couldn't help but groan. He thought about Namira for a second, but shrugged. Whatever she or her little pals had to say about him, he didn't care. He'd just have to get a little stronger was all. Besides, unless they were planning to talk strategy in front of the enemy, he wasn't needed there.

Just as he said, Alex got himself cleaned up, changed clothes, and went to the library. He wanted to read a bit more about some of the history the Professor had told them about. Besides, maybe he could learn a thing or two about strategy from the past. Maybe even find and art book or two. No point in letting the resources available to them go to waste.

Reactions: Nim
Parthenia Harland Ciran
Mentions: enough people for me to say everybody

Parthenia had an exasperated look on her face as she confronted Laila, but she tried to avoid her emotions getting the best of her. Although she was probably more flexible than most nobles, she was still quite used to being in a position of absolute authority—and the deference that came with it, especially on the battlefield, even if it was a mock battle. Laila had some reasonable remarks though; when it came down it, the other group had been losing, although unexpectedly. Still…

"That might be all and great for reading the flow of the battlefield, but what if Alex and I hadn't been able to knock Marcus out of the fight? Maybe I could have worked with that, but I didn't hear a word from you! Not a word! You just dashed off to who knows where without saying right after I asked for your help. You were deserting for all I knew." She scowled, but Professor Juno's timely reaction spared Laila from any further unpleasantries from Parthenia. After that, she simply remounted her horse, looking like she was brooding the whole way back to the monastery.

Despite her irritation, the exchange between Leon and his family's retainers was amusing and an interesting window into how he and his family worked, though; the Sylmare family was one of the few prominent families that she didn't entirely know too much about. Regardless, she was of the same mind on this as Theodoric; good information to keep for the future if it was ever needed.

Annoyed she remained as they reached infirmary, although she found herself nodding in agreement at Laila's assessment of their battle performance, even if Parthenia thought the girl had made mistakes herself. Thankfully, most everybody else that she respected had also come to a similar conclusion, so she didn't have to outright praise the girl when she responded to Sherry's blame game with a bit of edge in her voice. "They're all right, you know. Screaming words that don't make sense for the situation is no plan, and you might need to touch up on your planning and charisma game if you want to inspire people to follow you. I hardly need to say, when plans go wrong –real plans, mind you—improvising is all you can do. I'll be amenable to sitting down and sorting this out properly, elsewhere, as Leonid correctly points out."

HzIEOPr.png

Mentions: @Nim [Laila], @Jessica2477 [Lapis], @Psyker Landshark [Theodoric], @Luminosity [Sherry]
Judging from the doom and gloom atmosphere that radiated from their side of the infirmary, Mael could see that the outcome of the mock battle had been more than just Sherry being salty over her early elimination from the exercise. The usual shrieking and comedic flailing of the arms from the redhead produced a groan from the noble. Of course. He was in the final stages of concealing himself before another fist met his aching shoulder; this time, from a much stronger contender than Sherry. "Yeouch," his mouth drew open as his hand instinctively rose to caress the assaulted location, turning around and wheeling his arm back for a due response before seeing that it was Laila. His expression defused into a smile, slowly reaching out and giving her a very light flick on the nose with his index finger. "No problem, friend! Next time, you get my back, eh?"

Though, as upbeat as he could be, there was more than enough tension between Sherry and the Red Chimeras to warrant a heated exchange, and Mael found it saddening that his classmates were already arguing with one another a day into their academic year. The mock battle must have really meant a big deal to them, and it started to make him feel badly for his poor demonstration on the field. He held his hands together behind his back, the signs of a frown wearing on his lips.

"Sorry, everyone. I got too excited, and..." Mael kicked up a pocket of imaginary dust, only halfway into his speech before a sudden look of realization filled his eyes as his hands came up to twine into his hair. "Crap! Ariel's the one who knocked me out, too!" his eyes naturally wandered towards the side of the Green Falcons, unwittingly searching for more salt in the wound as Mael was met with a victory gesture from Miss Valyra across the infirmary.

He was quick to avert his gaze, rolling his knuckles against his skull in mild frustration. I... I'll just have to get stronger for next time.
"And maybe smarter, too..." his thoughts ended in spoken tongue, his ears perking up at the mention of his name from the blue-haired girl. "Please, do not limit yourselves in fear of hurting me. In the dance on the battlefield, it was a simple misstep in my performance. I'm certain that we will overcome our shortcomings in our time together," the noble smiled, and with a quick process of elimination after Theodoric spoke of an unfamiliar name, he gave the blue-haired girl a confident thumbs up. "I appreciate your concern, Miss Lapis. Beyond this newly-acquired beauty mark, I'm well and able... and starving."

"Assuming that Sherry is also suitable enough to walk after such devastating wounds, the dinner between both houses will start soon. Within the hour, give or take," Juno eyed the house leader of the Red Chimeras sharply with crossed arms, looking between all of her students. "Do what it is you wish until the sound of the church bells; groom yourselves, relax, whatever you see fit. I will be in our classroom until then."

@Demon Shinobi
With around forty minutes of free activity before dinner, you decided to go to the library to search for a book about the history of the Ten Dreams, something relating to strategy or an art book, in any order. At this time, there are also a few students in the library, but no signs of anyone who you could identify as its keeper. Still fresh to your surroundings in the Academy, you're uncertain of which shelf contains which genre, and essentially, pull two random books from a random shelf.

The first book is titled, "Of Warriors and Women" - the artwork depicts a barbarian clothed in rags staring up at a tall, dark tower with a club slung over his shoulder, his back facing the reader. At the top of the tower is a windowsill, with what looks like a woman looking down towards the barbarian. The book is in fine condition, and seems recent. It's a pretty short book, and while you still wouldn't be able to finish it in forty minutes of dedicated reading without foregoing your second selection, you spent around half of your time reading the first few chapters. It's the standard damsel in distress tale after the barbarian, its main character, is separated from his mate after she is kidnapped by the lord of the kingdom to become his bride instead, and the barbarian goes on a journey to rescue his lost love.

Your reading is abruptly cut when you hear the familiar cackling laughter from your sister, Namira, who noticed the cover and your focus. She sits at a table in the corner of the library, her presence prompting you to pick up the next book. It is titled, "Taste of the Trickster" - compared to the previous one, this book is considerably weathered, its pages grungy as you see its published date as Divine Year 99. Judging from the initial content and wording, you're not entirely sure if it's a work of fiction, or if it's a factual account of true events; it is nearly double the page count of the previous book, and is labeled as a history book. The author is supposedly under the pen name, "Huntress".

Taste of the Trickster starts with an introduction to the Third Dream of Musentia, Pleiades of Cretus, whom you learned in history lessons that she was known as the Trickster. It recounts how she came to associate herself with the Ten Dreams; captured by Grimdall of Galbia after trying to peddle stolen armor from Marlon of Mordlind before the Days of Ruin. Grimdall suggested executing Pleiades as punishment, but Marlon instead inducted the street urchin into the service of the knight brigade. After the introductory chapter, the theme takes a sudden change as the author describes the close bonds between the three of them. Throughout the Days of Ruin, the arrogant and proud Grimdall had become smitten with Pleiades, a love that was mostly unrequited, for Pleiades showed affection towards Marlon; the latter refused to acknowledge his feelings in respect of his best friend, Grimdall. Overcome with the battle against the darkness and the emotions of his peers, it details the inner turmoil suffered between the three of them.

Though, as you go to turn the page, the church bells ring to signal that it is time for dinner. You're not entirely sure if you need to inform the librarian about borrowing books, if you wanted to.

Mentions: @Psyker Landshark [Theodoric], @Luminosity [Sherry], @Astoria [Parthenia], @Rouge Rogue [Leonid], @Demon Shinobi [Alexander], @Jessica2477 [Lapis], @Nim [Laila]​

With the students off to their own devices until dinner, Mael had volunteered his services to help set up the dining hall for the impending feast after making himself presentable. While he adjusted the tables, silverware, and the sort, the boy had a front row seat to the tempting aromas that wafted his way from the kitchen, stopping himself from salivating. Supporting the faculty in preperations was the least that he could do after incurring such a humiliating personal defeat during the mock battle, and it would have been more fun if Ariel hadn't decided to do the same to tell him exactly how she swung her hammer to knock him out.

The forty minutes had finally passed before the church bells rang loudly across the monastery to indicate the start of dinnertime, and the dining hall was soon beginning to flood with students from the two houses. He met his classmates as they filtered in, flaunting the perfect placement of dining necessities. "It smells so good, guys," Mael said, feeling like his stomach had rumbled louder than the rumbling discussion around them. They were all seated at the long center table, left to their own arrangements as the Green Falcons sat on the far end closest to the kitchen. Professor Juno soon made her entrance, sitting across from Mael. Upon inspection, one would notice that the professor had taken off her makeup, and in a more casual appearance, wore a long robe which accentuated her figure. "I'm impressed that all of you made it," she joked, giggling. "It would seem we have a special guest, today."

On that note, there was a sudden wave of quietness among all of the faculty and students as the air in the atmosphere seemed to suddenly pull towards the dining hall's entrance. The sound of dress shoes meeting the stone of the ground pressed through the halls before the guest stepped into the dining hall, giving each and every individual a warm smile. "I am most pleased to make your acquaintance, if you will allow me,"
Augustine Yohn Mithrel spoke kindly to them, slowly making his way towards the head of the table. There was a bit of tense energy among some of the Green Falcons and possibly, the Red Chimeras, with his appearance. "Oh man, are we in trouble?!" Marcus, in particular, whispered a little too loudly towards Lucien, biting a fingernail in the process.

The Archbishop laughed as he waved a hand off towards the frightened redhead, the colors in his eyes seemingly altering by each passing moment. "Absolutely not, my child. Ours is a time of respite, a time of rest," Augustine held his hands together, bowing politely before taking a seat. "Cast your worries away."

Lapis Zuval
Mentions: People
Interacting: (Briefly) Maelys (@Solace )

Lapis returned Maely's smile, but in truth, she was still concerned. The safety of her peers was far more important to her than the outcome of the battle. If possible, she would rather not damage someone unnecessarily or put them in more danger than they had to be. Maelys may have been told her to not worry herself, but Lapis still felt the need to make amends with the both of them for her attack. Would owl feathers do the trick or shall she find something more catered to their interests?

During their free time, she decided to head to the library...

~~~

By the time the church bells rang, Lapis had already arrived at the dining hall. She had taken the time to gussy up her appearance and make sure everything was in order so that she may not embarrass her house by looking like she had just rolled out of bed. Appearances were everything regardless of social standing, that was what her father always told her when she was younger and it completely ingrained itself into her mind. Sometimes she wished she could be comfortable not having to put so much attention to her appearance, but her upbringing would not allow it.

The first thing that hit her when she stepped through the doors was the scent of food, then after the decor of the dining hall. Lapis had to stop herself from salivating at the delicious aroma. She had forgotten to eat again earlier today, thanks to the library and the mock battle. But here, she would be able to eat her fill then mayhaps be lulled into a food coma~ Or perhaps burn off the calories with some magical training; she needed to be ready for the next battle after all!

When Maelys spoke to her and the class, Lapis smiled. "The dining hall looks amazing Maelys! Excellent work. And the food smells so divine~ It must have been torture for you."

Lapis took her own seat; back straight, prim and proper, emit grace and elegance. This had been practiced so much that the mere idea of slouching had never crossed the blue haired girl's subconscious.

It was then her Professor stepped in, and after the momentary shock of Juno's very casual appearance, her attention turned to the Archbishop himself.

The beauty of the man alone was enough to make Lapis lose her breath, but she kept her composure. The warmth the man radiated was enough for Lapis to forget her previous worries that she had expressed to Juno. The tension and fear she had felt was immediately lifted, and the girl could breathe easy. Surely both houses would not do anything foolish in front of the Archbishop himself, would they?

Laila Bellwood
Interactions: Mael (@Solace ) Briefly

After she spoke up, Several of the others also spoke on the matter, with the majority mirroring what she had said in one way or another. As the rest spoke up, Mael decided to respond to her fist with a gentle flick on her nose. She was caught so off guard by this that she felt her face start to turn red. She tried to react as little as possible, only moving a finger to seemingly scratch her nose. Not paying full attention to what Parthenia or Juno had to say now, Laila just heard something about how long they had before something, and then left the infirmary with hastened steps, trying to avoid looking at anyone else.

She decided to spend any free time she had in her room, just carving away at a piece of wood. She had no idea what she wanted to carve, but she just needed a distraction. What was with the guys and choosing to be gentle with her. Ugh, they were being too gentle. She wasn't comfortable with that. A bloody gentle flick on the nose. Who does that anyway. Idiot.

When the bells rang to indicate it was time for the dinner, Laila looked at the wood she was carving away at. She had no idea when it happened, but it looked like a beaver just came and chipped almost half of the wood away in an almost smooth slice. Putting the wood away, she took a moment to recall they had the shared meal now, and headed to the dining hall.

The room looked impressive. It was very well arranged, and quickly enough, Mael came and started to talk about how helped arrange things. While the thought of just ignoring him passed in her mind, Laila figured it would just raise questions. She offered a quick nod towards him before going and sitting down by the table, just trying not to think. About anything. At all. When Juno arrived, Laila started to feel a bit more at ease. At least their professor looked like she was going to be a bit more casual about things now. When she mentioned they were going to have a special guest, however, she briefly wondered what kind of special guest would be arriving.

It didn't take long before the Archbishop entered. Laila had never before felt the presence of someone who felt so divine. As he walked through the room towards his intended seat at the head of the table, she looked at some of the others, and noticed the green falcons, at least, were becoming much more tense. And some even fearful, as Marcus expressed his fears a bit loudly. The Archbishop was quick to dismiss any fearful thoughts, and that made Laila feel even more at ease. She stretched her legs underneath the table and just waited patiently for the food, which filled the dining room with a rather incredibly delicious smelling aroma.

waifu4.png

MENTIONS: Everyone

Sherry didn't know what she expected. It would've been nice if they all ducked their heads and apologizedd, but no one even uttered sorry save for Doric, and even he had some critique. Her expression morphed into something akin to disbelief and bewilderment. Really? Were they really doing this in front of the Green Falcons? At least some of them had the decency to provide the option of moving this conversation to a later date. Nothing other than a scoff left her lips as she pushed past Doric and Leon. She didn't kow what to say-- or what to do, even. Perhaps some fresh air would do her good...

---

Sherry had spent the hour or so roaming about the monastery grounds, her eyes turned downwards as she paced back and forth. With the help of the fresh, late summer breeze and the sound of chirping birds, she was able to force herself to simmer down. At least, somewhat. Frustration still bubbled up inside of her, although more at herself than the rest of the Red Chimeras. If they all agreed with one another, did that mean she was really in the wrong? What would her father think? The question went through her head over and over. How would she even explain herself to him if he found out about how she was behaving? A sigh left her lips as she kicked a stone down the path. Just when she turned on her heel to walk back up the path, the monastery bells rung, signalling the start of dinner. She would have to do more thinking later.

As expected, the mess hall bustled with energy. Sherry shuffled over to the Red Chimeras and took a seat, not really paying any heed to who she sat next to. Juno appeared shortly after her arrival, and after her came the archbishop. His presence was serene and graceful, and Sherry couldn't help but glancing over his pristine and handsome features. Archbishops had to look presentable, after all. At least they weren't in trouble, which helped bolster her appetite. The mess hall attendants filed in, many of them carrying silver platters topped with covers. They worked swiftly as they set down the platters in front of the students and professors alike, removing the covers to reveal pot roast with candied plums, mashed potatoes loaded with gravy, peppers stuffed with ground beef, smoked trout and cod, roast pheasant, and apple pie and peach cobbler, both topped with whipped cream, for dessert. Sherry's mouth watered at the presentation, picking up a fork to dig into the meats, only to be interrupted by the sudden clearing of Augustine's throat.

"Before we feast-- Sherry, Francette, would you lead the evening prayer?"

Oh, right. She should've expected that. Setting down the fork, she glanced down the table at the other house leader to see that the girl had already begun to fold her hands together and duck her head. Sherry quietly followed suit.

"Yhirel, Our Lord, we give thanks for the wonderful meal you have provided us this day--"

"-- and thank you for maintaining the health and well-being of those we care about--"

"-- We also give thanks for giving us the chance to gather together and feast as a family, despite our differences--"

"-- and hope you give us many more days together. Amen."

The archbishop's delicate lips curled into a smile as his palms turned upwards, motioning to the foodstuffs in front of them. "Wonderful. Very well, then-- feast and enjoy yourselves~!"

• Sweet
Reactions: Solace and Jessica
Theodoric Branden Marlon
Mentions: @Luminosity (Sherry), @Solace (Maelys)
Well. On the bright side, Sherry hadn't reacted as badly as he'd feared. Fortunate that the Falcons were in the room with them or she likely would have exploded then and there. Doric simply let her pass without issue as she stormed out, figuring she needed time to cool down. With some free time to himself until dinner, Theodoric politely took his leave of the Chimeras and immediately made for the training hall.

He spent the time allotted to him until the evening meal simply training, spurred on by his definite loss to Victor earlier in the day. Doric slashed away with a wooden sword on a training dummy, lost in thought as he desperately sought to improve himself. At his age, even Victor's freakish rate of improvement was nothing compared to what Gwendolyn had already been. Had she been in his place, Victor would have been child's play to her. Doric had to do better. Faster. Stronger. Losing that badly wasn't good enough for an heir of Marlon.

Doric's mind flashed back to the fight that afternoon, even as he continued to train. His final gambit against Victor had failed, revealing a weakness in his previous training: he'd simply split himself too thin. Not skilled enough with a sword to defeat Victor head on, and his magic was too weak to even dent the bastard.

The blonde frowned as his wooden blade shattered against the training dummy with his last blow, shaking his head. As he was, he would have to focus on swordplay before magic, and then train his magic up later before working on melding them seamlessly together. Still, at least he'd learned something from the loss. A shame he didn't have more time. As it was, he was cutting it close enough if he wanted to freshen up and clean his sweat off before the dinner.

___

The spread at the evening meal looked amazing, and it was a small miracle Maelys hadn't helped himself to any of it beforehand. Theodoric gave his peer a simple nod at his smile, but his attention was mostly drawn towards the smoked fish down the table. It was somewhat of a surprise that the archbishop deigned to grace them with his presence tonight, but no matter. At the very least, there didn't seem to be any consequences from the day's mock battle. Yet.

Reactions: Marlowe
Parthenia Harland Ciran
Mentions: people

The argument in the infirmary fizzled down far faster than Parthenia would have thought. As irritated as she was, she was ready to stir the pot even more –she still had quite a bit to say over the battle's performance—but she decided to leave the matter at that. As some of the other Chimeras took their leave, Parthenia took the chance to do the same, bowing out in a more restrained manner than she had entered.

Allowing her temper to cool, she took the evening to walk around the monastery, using it as a chance to actually get to know the insides and outs of the place that she would be living in for the next several years. She had a lot to think about, but she kept her mind off the battle for now, determined to focus on the task at hand. Mulling over the battle's result could wait for later, and doing it now would probably just serve to get her angry again.

Although she'd made a determined effort to cover a lot of ground, the place was far larger than she imagined, with dozens after dozens of small nooks and crannies amongst the old stonework that made for interesting investigation. The nearby town was another thing entirely. It would probably be a full week before she could check out everything, and even longer before she'd know the area by heart.

By the end of the evening, she was already quite famished. It didn't take the bells to bring her back, making space for herself next to Theodoric, although Parthenia was just a bit late after freshening herself back up at the dorms.

The food was quite good, especially after a full day's work. The cooking still came into brief question in Parthenia's mind, though; to her, Maelys wasn't the sort to be a good cook, so when the cuisine presented to her was more than acceptable, she was quite surprised. It was good enough that she didn't pay much attention to the archbishop. She was busy destroying some honey glazed poultry. Politely, of course.

Last edited:
To and At the Dining Hall!
Interaction(s): Basically Everyone

As Alex made his way to the dining hall, he couldn't help but think about his little Library excursion. He'd learned a little bit today. How to navigate the library better was at the top of his list of minor achievements. Hopefully next time though, the librarian would be there. He felt it important to learn how to better find things. Did they have a particular system?

As his mind shifted back to his semi-productive trip to the library, Alex couldn't help but think of the books he'd picked up. They hadn't exactly been what he was looking for. Still, the first to come to mind was the second he'd taken the time to read. In truth, in terms of history anyway, he'd hoped to find something perhaps a hair more concrete. The topic in question was certainly interesting, if that kind of drama drew you in, but it wasn't what he'd hoped for. Who knows, maybe this notion of a love triangle would come up again? Maybe not. Then, there was the book of a supposed steamier nature.

In truth, Alex had been unexpectedly drawn in. The premise was simple, cliche even. An yet, the opening scenes were rife with betrayal, intrigue, and action. More than that, there were a number of ideas forming in his mind for potential sketches, drawing, and paintings that he could see coming to life. Still, the mood was quickly hampered by the ruinous cackle of his step-sister. Had he been a lesser person, he might have commented on her inability to enjoy the finer aspects of the idea of love or romance. Or maybe commented on her inability to think for herself? Oh well. He didn't feel like wasting the precious little down time.

Luckily, he was saved by the bell. The church bells. A reason to leave without it seeming like it was because of Namira. The fact was, she'd use any available means to try and get under his skin. He wasn't much the one to care, but it sure was annoying all the same. Though he didn't exactly paint a picture of perfection in terms of himself or his own behavior.

He yawned a bit as he walked, taking his time initially, arriving in time to see the other members of his house all accounted for. Alex himself didn't give off the most noble of appearances. Though the clothes themselves seems nice enough, he didn't seem to have put any work into making sure he wore them well. It almost looked like Alex had put on the clothes... and then fell asleep. His shirt was untucked and a bit wrinkled, however light the folds were. Of course, it was only really noticeable if you gave him more than a single glance. His hair was messy, almost like he'd just rolled out of bed. Alex didn't necessarily do much to fix himself either as he greeted his companions.

"Professor," he gave a small smile and nod. "Everyone," he gave a small wave to each of the Red Chimeras before finding himself a seat.

What followed was a surprise for certain. Maybe it was just him, but he hadn't expected to be joined by the Archbishop. The man was... beautiful? There was an elegance, a kindness, to the man. And then, the food was revealed. Alex swallowed, prepared to quickly dig in. He was starving. And yet, he was stopped. A prayer. Of course. He took a small breath, sighing as Sherry and Francette did as they were asked. And then, finally they were allowed to eat. Alex wasted no time digging into the meal set before him. "Oh wow~!" he said happily after swallowing sample after sample of each of the dishes laid before him. He sure was wasting no time. "I don't know what I was expecting, but of course the food is first rate here," he commented cheerfully as he began to eat.

"What a great way to end such a long day," Alex couldn't help but add after the following bite of pot roast couples with a chunk of one of the candied plums. "Heh, if anyone decides they aren't particularly hungry, I'll be happy to take a bit off your hands." He seemed half-serious, but of course he was joking. Perhaps an attempt to help the mood. He wasn't much a fan of quiet dinners. Especially when it was meant to be a feast. A social one at that. To bring the houses together as fellow students and soldiers. Right? Unless he was wrong. That was also a possibility. Either way, why not try to have a bit of fun?

leeeoon.png

𝕷𝖊𝖔𝖓𝖎𝖉 𝕳𝖊𝖈𝖙𝖔𝖗 𝕾𝖞𝖑𝖒𝖆𝖗𝖊
mentions: @Jessica2477 (Lapis)

"Do what it is you wish until the sound of the church bells."

Leon needn't be told twice.

Anger still burning up his veins, he excused himself from the room with a quick nod. A few others seemed to be doing the same, but Leon paid them no mind.

Lapis had arrived at the library once again, the comforting scent of open pages giving her a brief sense of nostalgia as she crossed the aisles of bookshelves. With each visit, she was becoming more and more accustomed to the organization of the books within the library and more familiar with what stories lied where. Today, she was feeling in the mood for a sort of mystery novel; a short one preferably since her room still had a good sum of books that she needed to finish through. Lapis had already gone through a few of the stories she had rented from the library, but there still left the tomes she needed to read so that she would not fall behind her classmates. She would not be a burden to her house if she could help it…

Not too long into her search though, she spotted an all too familiar body within the library as well. Well, two. One being Alex, and the other being just the person she wanted to see. She had no idea Leon was a reader though; a pleasant surprise! Perhaps she would be able to discuss favorite stories with both men at some point?

She peeked around the bookshelf she was at, smiling at him when they made eye contact. She quietly gestured for him to go to her, so Lapis could confirm something with him.

For once, Leon wasn't visiting the library for the books. As much as he loved them, he knew an hour was far from enough to truly get immersed into a story - especially since he was a very slow reader. Unlike real nobles, he hadn't been taught in the ways of the written word at a young age, and that had impeded his literacy. Not that anyone would know that. He made it a point not to read with others around.

But no, this time he was at the library for some peace and quiet to hopefully soothe his nerves. Libraries were magical places, packed to the brim with a plethora of worlds. They made whatever troubles Leon had seem small and escapable. Even if he didn't actually read, just soaking in the atmosphere was soothing. Especially since, incidentally, libraries tended to be otherwise quiet - if not empty. Which meant that no one would have to see him fuming.

Or so the thought.

He'd barely found a place to sit, when a familiar face smiled at him from behind a corner. Lapis. She was gesturing for him to come over. Leon looked around as if to make sure she was actually talking to him, then slowly rose from his seat.

He tilted his head as he approached, whispering a quiet, "What's up?"

"My apologies for disrupting you; this will not be long." Lapis assured him, picking out a book and looking over the cover as she spoke.

"I wanted to ask you." She subtly grabbed his sleeve and took him deeper into the aisle, away from the other students. Despite this, her next question was quiet; just above a whisper. "Are you truly a man of noble birth?"

Before Leon could start lying or defending himself, Lapis decided to give him the evidence she had for thinking this way. Of course, she kept her voice down to prevent eavesdropping.

"During the mock battle, you spoke to me by saying and I quote, "Somethin' tells me you ain't going with them." Now, I have interacted with more nobles than I have seen trees, dear. Not once have I ever heard a nobleman, high or low status, ever speak in the manner you did in that moment. However, I have heard people speak that way many times before; when I was in the library reading to children and some of the older commoners, their speech matched yours."

Lapis's smile remained kind. She directed her gaze to look up at him. "I thought nothing of it at the time. It would be very presumptuous to assume something was amiss from just one little sentence, so I excused it as you playing around or something of the sort, but then you spoke again. "So, do ya wanna try and aim your spells into that mess, or...Wanna go huntin'?" I thought that would be the end, but your informal speech continued the longer we remained in the trees, and I pondered.

The way you spoke then sounded so… natural in that state. It allowed me to think back to when you were at your most casual as a noble, and it struck me. Your nobleman behavior was too...erect. Too stiff to be natural. A person of noble birth would have practiced their speech, their appearance, and their grace to the point that elegance came to them as naturally as breathing.

This is not to say your presentation lacks charm or grace, mind you. I'd say you are doing an excellent job. However,"
Lapis grinned, "due to specific circumstances, I have a very keen eye for behavior and body language. I could see it, Leonid. Your body is not practiced in the art of long strides and poise, but in strategy, sneaking about, and attacking your opponents from afar. Your beauty and elegance belongs on the battlefield, not the ballroom! And in the classroom, you mentioned you would be willing to uncover more information for the benefit of the house. That only reaffirmed my suspicions. I thought nothing of it at the time, but as more clues surfaced the more I began to uncover~"

Despite Lapis's voice being quiet, Leon would be able to hear the excitement in her voice. She was closing the distance between them, face pausing a bit closer to his as she looked at him excitedly. "Tell me, Leonid. What nobleman is more comfortable speaking like a commoner, quick in the shadows, attacks from a distance, and comfortable with the art of espionage?"

A starry look of awe and enthusiasm were in her eyes. "None. Which is why my idea stands that you are not of noble birth at all, but a commoner adopted into your House." She moved away to give him his space again, her thumb gently tapping her lower lip. "What troubles me is your background… The three possibilities that match your skillset of which I could guess would be a mercenary, assassin, or a thief… I don't believe you would tell me, especially after all I uncovered to you, hm?"

Leon wasn't sure what to expect when Lapis took his sleeve and led him further away from view. He followed regardless, a curious smile painted across his features. He was just about to jest about how people might get the wrong idea if they saw them - when her sudden question drew colour from his face.

"What?"

Leon wasn't sure if the word ever made it past his lips. If it did, Lapis paid it no mind.

She went on to recite their earlier conversations, quoting each time he'd let slip his noble guise. Leon felt his face heat up. He hadn't even thought about the things he'd said back then - nor remembered them afterwards. The fact that she did was not only impressive, it was-- disconcerting. What else had she noticed that he hadn't even paid attention to? How much information could she retain in that pretty little head of hers?

She kept talking for what felt like an eternity, each word another dagger held at his throat. Leon's feelings were a storm, and his mind its epicenter. He went from shock to anger. He was embarrassed, and he was impressed. At one point, he was flattered. But above all else, he was alarmed.

The closer Lapis got to get conclusion, the more aware Leon became of the blade on his hip. There was no denying it now; she had found out his secret - a secret that could, at worst, cost them both their lives. He was cornered. And everyone knew what rats did when they were driven to desperation.

The library was all but barren where they stood. He could slit her throat before she could scream. All it'd take was one practiced slash.

But then he noticed the... glint in her eye. Excitement? She was coming closer, and Leon had to curl his hand to a fist so he wouldn't grab his blade. She shouldn't be coming closer. She'd just deducted he was a potential criminal! Every inch of distance she closed was a step towards the gallows. She was smart, he knew she was - so why was she so foolishly putting herself in harm's way? Did she have a trap prepared? Or... did she really trust him that much?

No, that could not be it.

At last, it was Leon's turn to speak. But he found his legs before he found his tongue.

In an instant, Leon had closed the distance she'd put back between them. His hands were pushed against the bookshelf behind Lapis, her head framed by his arms. Leon's eyes narrowed; not as a threat but as an attempt to understand. His voice came out without any distinguishable tone, but perhaps the closest was worry.

"And what if I was an assassin?"

He gave her a moment to think on his words, but not to reply to them. He did that for her, "You'd be dead. All because you trusted me enough to reveal your deductions."

Leon took a step back, arms crossed and gaze averted. "... Suppose you're right. That I'm not of noble blood - that I am in fact a commoner, taken in, for some reason, by my house." He turned to glance back at her, hesitant - scared. "... What then?"

He was acutely aware of his sword again.

Leon was most certainly an interesting character, that was for sure. She'd anticipated a threat, or him storming away, or even asking what she wanted for him in return for her silence. Instead, he trapped her between his body and the bookshelf. The book that Lapis held in her hands wasn't just for looking through, mind him. She held it in front of her vitals; her heart and her throat. Just in case Leon would make due on using his assassination skills.

"Nothing." She answered with a smile. "I have no intentions of telling a soul. I merely believed you would want to be aware that someone was able to deduce your secret; so you may see where you've slipped too much information, then polish your performance. I can even assist you if you'd like."

Lapis assured him, hugging the book in front of her this time. Neck exposed as she looked at him. "I understand you are a lot stronger and a much more formidable opponent than myself. Knowing this, If I had malicious intent, why would I go through the trouble of telling you that I knew in person? Wouldn't it have benefitted me more to not tell you and just share the information? Or anonymously send you a note with a list of demands if I wished to blackmail you?"

… Nothing? Leon's hesitance melted away into confusion. He fancied himself a good enough of a judge of character. He'd had to be; trusting the wrong person on the streets could spell death, after all. And as far as he could tell, Lapis's words seemed genuine.

She even lowered her book. He could see her neck - and the exact spot he ought to slice, if he were to mean harm. But he was no longer thinking about his blade.

She was right, there was no real reason to tell him of her suspicions - unless she wanted him to react in a way that confirmed her suspicions, with an ambush prepared. But even after what he did - suddenly trapping her, an act that could be easily seen as a threat, it was just the two of them there. Alex was somewhere - but evidently not close enough to be aware of what went on behind the furthest shelves.

She really had done all this just to help him, huh? She had... had even promised to help him with his act.

... Well didn't that make him feel like a bastard.

"... Thank you," he mumbled, gaze downcast. Away from her eyes, away from her neck. The embarrassment he'd felt earlier couldn't compare to what he felt now.

"Yer kind, y'know?" She had shown him weakness by lowering her book - he returned it in kind, by speaking the way he was most comfortable. His brows furrowed though, the same look of worry from earlier returning."Too damn kind for your own good. What I did back there-- if I'd been some cutthroat..."

He didn't want to repeat it. Instead, he shook his head. If what he'd done earlier hadn't made her realize what could have happened if she trusted the wrong person, then his words certainly wouldn't do the trick. "I'm nothin' that formidable though. Just a guy who happened to be in the right place at the wrong time. It's... a long story. Borin', too."

Leon smiled, lips curled upwards in an attempt at mischief, perhaps to lighten the mood. "But, well, if you wanna help me polish my performance, who knows - I might tell it some day. If you wanna have a listen."

Ever so slowly, he offered a hand. If she didn't want to take it after what he'd done, he understood - but it was his way of offering peace, and an apology. "Deal?"

Lapis listened to his words, and gave a soft nod. "Yes, I've been told before." She said, referring to his remark about her kindness. Her father had said so many times when she was younger and often tried to make her "assertive" but quickly abandoned it when he realized it was pointless.

With a big smile, she reached over and gently took the offered hand in a shake. The idea of Leonid sharing his backstory made her giddy.

"I would like nothing more."

For once, Leon was grateful their meal was a formal ordeal. With so many people - including the oh-so-important archbishop himself - present, there wasn't much room for smalltalk. So when Leon arrived and took his seat in silence, no one bat an eye.

He'd meant to go to the library to soothe his nerves and sort his thoughts - but somehow, he'd come out more of a mess than he'd went in. He kept wanting to glance over at Lapis - and yet he feared nothing more than locking eyes with her. Now that the initial rush of adrenaline and fear had passed, all that remained was embarrassment - and a little bit of curiosity towards someone so strangely kind.

... Ah, wait, when had they gotten their food?

Leon noticed he'd been playing with a fork and quickly snapped his back straight. He wasn't familiar with most of the dishes on display, but his stomach rumbled at the scent of them regardless. Food. Yeah, food would help him think.

Before that, though--

Leon threw a surreptitious glance to whoever sat to his right, trying to see which of the many utensils they had picked up. He'd practiced this before, of course, but--

A person of noble birth would have practiced their speech, their appearance, and their grace to the point that elegance came to them as naturally as breathing.

... Damnit. If she had noticed, someone else could as well. Someone like... like the damn archbishop sitting a few seats from him. More paranoid than ever, he followed the others' example and slowly allowed himself to dig in to what the table had to offer - all the while trying not to throw wary glances at the man sitting at the end of the table.

HzIEOPr.png

Mentions: @Nim [Laila], @Demon Shinobi [Alexander], @Rouge Rogue [Leonid], @Luminosity [Sherry], @Psyker Landshark [Theodoric], @Astoria [Parthenia], @Jessica2477 [Lapis]
Maelys was starving.

Albeit a barbaric display, the noble could not stop himself from salivating upon the presentation of the feast and foodstuffs, and as much as he felt shameful to admit it, he quietly wished for the evening prayer to pass in brevity. "Appl-" he had caught himself in the midst of a vocabulary slip towards the tail end of the reciting after staring at the apple pie, offering everyone a short chuckle before clapping his hands together. "Amen!"

It had been a miracle that Maelys had not lost his sense of control while setting the tables as the chefs mastered their craft prior to the occasion; the food was absolutely mind-blowing, so much so that his proper tendencies slowly degenerated after each swipe of the fork. He felt that it was a well-deserved respite for himself and his classmate, and suffice to say, he preferred fistfuls of food over a hammer to the face. Helping himself to each healthy heaping, the boy saw a distinct lack of dessert in front of Laila, reserving a portion of the apple pie and peach cobbler on a smaller plate. "Eat up, friend!" he offered the girl a smile before reaching across the table to where Laila sat, gently placing the platter of sweets before her. He snorted towards Alex, jokingly pulling his own plate closer towards him. "Heh, you can certainly try!"

The joint feast between the two houses seemed to be working wonders in easing the tension between the students and their peers, as the faculty had hoped. Marcus and Lucien laughed between themselves over a battle of wits and exchange of corny jokes, while Professor Talbot concerned himself with the stock of food in lieu to Ariel and Maelys who sat across from her, locked in the timeworn challenge of who could eat more than the other. Francette seemed to be interested in gleaming the professor of the Red Chimeras, discussing Juno's apparent stardom and sudden departure from the Albissard Opera Company. Even the usually pretentious and mule-faced Victor fashioned an embarrassing smile, the blush of his cheeks failing to shoo Namira away as the blue-haired girl fed him a spoon of dessert.

"You must wait until the end of the feast for your audience, Lady Sylmare!"

The stern, familiar commanding voice of the dean called out from the hallway midway through the feast as
a woman strut into the dining hall, with two figures shambling behind her. Like her subordinates, her skin was a smooth caramel color, her features evidently beautiful with a curvy body accentuated by tight clothing that labeled her as a temptress. Illustrious makeup adorned her face in various colors; pink for her plump lips, from the darker shadows under her eyes to the bright orange waving from the corner of her eyes like the tail end of a flame. Her black hair fell over one shoulder, the chandelier light reflecting off of the hints of crimson in her brown eyes as they looked over the festivity. With a longbow slung over the shoulder and a scimitar at her hip, the trained eye could perhaps notice that Lady Sylmare carried a multitude of concealed daggers across her person.

Just as Iris arrived behind the retinue in a sprint, the visitor shifted her weight to one leg with a coy look as her hands laid on her hips.
"Ah, yes," Chenoa O'oj Sylmare shook her head, her right eyelash twitching in offense. The lithe muscles on her arms tensed, painted with Sylmare tribal tattoos like Maelys' own. "Too busy rejoicing after setting my beautiful forest aflame, children?" her lips parted in a scoff when her eyes spotted Leonid. "The spirit of my ancestor's lands cry for recompense. Bring me the one responsible for his pain."

Maelys had seldom seen Lady Sylmare speak with such virulent-tipped words, but witnessing her sudden appearance and demand brought fear down his spine. Keeping his arm out of view, the boy instinctively grabbed Leon from his right side by the elbow in an attempt to stop his friend from rising up. Professor Juno slowly rose from her seat, turning towards their visitors. "Chenoa, it was not out of inte-"

Suddenly, Chenoa drew her scimitar in a split moment of open hostility, even surprising her subordinates who reached out towards their leader. All of the Green Falcons and the faculty except for the Archbishop wore looks of anxiety as she trained the wicked blade in the air, nodding towards the woman who spoke to her. "Professor! Look at you! Still so beautiful and young, and it's been almost twenty years!" she eyed Juno up and down before reasserting herself. "But that will be Lady Sylmare, even for you. We can talk about why and where you left to after I find the one responsible."

"It is I that is responsible, my lady."

Before the renewed tensions could reach their boiling point, the Archbishop gracefully rose from his seat, his eyes shimmering with gold before he bowed low towards Chenoa. His honeyed voice carried along the walls of the dining hall, the display painting great disbelief among all of the faculty and even Lady Sylmare. "Augustine-" Iris croaked.

The Archbishop waved a hand down towards the dean, maintaining his respectful bow for a few moments before straightening himself. Violet overtook the gold in his gaze as he gave a look of affirming trust towards the boy of Sylmare, smiling towards Chenoa. "Such devastation, it was not my intention. I offer you the full cooperation of our acolytes, but most importantly, I offer you my sincerest apologies for my failure as Archbishop. We will speak more in private, but please, lay down your arms and join us."

Maelys would have noticed how the Archbishop's words seemed to sway Lady Sylmare if he himself hadn't felt greatly influenced by the response. An awkward atmosphere permeated the dining hall as Chenoa stowed away her weapon, flushed in meekness.
"Uh... yes, that would be most welcome. Forgive my rudeness," she gave a quick bow before scurrying over to her cousin, scooting between Leon and Maelys as the liveliness of the dining hall slowly picked back up with cautiousness.

Laila Bellwood
Interactions: Mael (@Solace )

After sitting for a moment in silence, Laila allowed herself to breath deeply before starting to take a bit of food for herself. Before she ate anything, she heard both Sherry and Francette offer a prayer, as instructed by the Archbishop. She never quite understood prayers herself, mostly because Laila thought if they should thank anyone, it would be those that laboured hard on hunting, farming, and preparing the food for them. Same went for anything that required manual labour. But she did understand being respectful towards others beliefs, and remained silent until they finished praying. Once they were done, she began eating. After a couple of bites, Laila realized just how hungry she really was. The fight took quite a bit of energy out of her, especially with some of the maneuvers she made.

As she ate, Laila noticed things had begun feeling somewhat nicer. Even if there wasn't too much interaction between the members of both houses, it was much more enjoyable than she imagined it would be. It was, to say the least, a very pleasant surprise. As she took another bite and glanced around, she suddenly saw a plate with a couple of desserts placed in front of her. Surprised, she looked at Mael, who was the one who put it there. She briefly shook her head as the thought of earlier came back to her, before swallowing the bite she had in her mouth.

"Thanks Mael." Laila told him, and brought the plate closer to her. Apple pie and peach cobbler. Those were the type of foods she saw when she made deliveries to nobles. Not stuff she imagined she would be eating herself, ever. Taking a bite from the apple pie, she felt her taste buds explode with joy. She closed her eyes and just let herself take in all the flavour, before continuing to enjoy both the apple pie and the peach cobbler, which was delicious just as much. They were both so sweet and just to her liking.

Once she was done with the desserts, she looked at Mael again, who was apparently in some kind of eating competition with the girl who almost knocked her out during the fight. It was nice seeing that he was able to look past how things went earlier. Remembering something, Laila fixed her sight on Mael "You wanted to see how I train with my axe, right? I could show you if we have time tomorrow. But you'll need to meet me at the local smithy's. If you are still interested, of course." She told him.

• According to Plan
Reactions: Solace and Marlowe
leeeoon.png

𝕷𝖊𝖔𝖓𝖎𝖉 𝕳𝖊𝖈𝖙𝖔𝖗 𝕾𝖞𝖑𝖒𝖆𝖗𝖊
mentions: @Solace (mael + chenoa & augustine)

Against all expectations, the joint dinner wasn't marked by hostility or tension. Even Leon found it in himself to relax and give in to the allure of the food, once he realized no one was eyeing him with any suspicion in particular. Even if he said so himself, he'd done a fine job at remembering his table manners - and keeping to them, despite the temptations. It was a blessing he was seated next to Mael, truly. Next to the Pleiadeas boy salivating all over his plate, he must've looked the epitome of nobility.

Leon was reaching towards the desserts when he was given new cause for panic.

An all too familiar figure burst into the dining room with all the tact of a rampaging Sylmarean stallion. The people struggling to keep up with her looked little more than colts in comparison. Leon froze where he was; slightly hunched, hand reaching over a basket of bread. His eyes were wide, and his gaze was everywhere at once. He made note of every weapon on Lady Sylmare's person; even the ones most would not see. Most had not lived with her.

Chenoa's eyes fell on him, and Leon could feel the daggers.

She demanded to know who was responsible for the fire, and Leon found himself standing at the same crossroads he had but a few hours prior. Only this time, he hesitated for too long. By the time he'd found his voice, Mael had seized his arm and Juno had risen in his stead. Leon was frustrated - and he was as grateful as one could be.

Then Chenoa drew her scimitar, and what remained of the once peaceful atmosphere shattered.

As it turned out, Chenoa and Juno seemed to know each other. Leon wondered if their relationship was something he should've known the details of, as the supposed heir. He'd figure it out later - the murderous woman intent on finding a culprit to behead was far more pressing of an issue.

Leon wondered how easily he could slip under the table.

Before he could make a move to find out, another voice joined the chaos - and soothed it. The archbishop had risen. His words silenced the entire room without the need to raise his voice. Leon caught the nod directed at him; one of sincere - if severely misplaced - trust. All of a sudden, he felt guilty, his misdeeds laid bare. He wondered if Chenoa felt the same way. The flustered look on her face was nothing Leon had seen before - and when she walked up to sit next to him, he pretended as if he hadn't seen it now, either.

"Mother, it's--," he didn't know where to look. Not at Augustine. Definitely not at Chenoa. Not at the table he still wanted to slip under. Bread. He decided the basket of bread was safe enough.

"--it's nice of you to join us." Leon's tone faltered only a little, teetering on the edge of nervous respect. He hoped the pause hadn't been too unnatural. He hoped he hadn't looked at the bread for too long.

He had definitely looked at the bread for too long.

To try and obscure that fact, he grabbed the entire basket and slid it in front of his supposed parent. "Here, have some. It's good," was all he managed to mumble in explanation. Hopefully, it would serve as a distraction while he figured out the best way to not upset her further.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
  • OMG
Reactions: Marlowe and Solace
Theodoric Branden Marlon
Mentions: @Solace (Chenoa), @Rouge Rogue (Leon), @Astoria (Parthenia)
After the prayer had concluded, Theodoric was all ready to tuck into a sumptuous helping of smoked fish when the entire refectory was so rudely interrupted by Lady Sylmare.

All he could consider after the outburst was, well...interesting. The Lady Sylmare was at least somewhat justified in her anger at having a portion of her lands set ablaze, despite the fact that she should have known there would be at least some damage on a mock battlefield. The fact that she'd been familiar with his own professor for decades was something to note for later, just in case. As was her reaction to the archbishop. Though he supposed it was understandable enough that considering this was the spiritual leader of the entire land, some amount of trepidation was natural.

Still, there was food to down. Doric turned his attention back to his fish dish for the moment, savoring the smoked cod before adding some mashed potatoes and gravy to his plate as well. In between bites, he surreptitiously kept an eye on Leon and his apparent mother's interactions with each other. Well. Doric had more of a responsibility to Leon as a house mate than he did to the Lady Sylmare, so he figured he may as well try to run some sort of interference.

"Lady Sylmare," Theodoric said almost immediately after Leon's abortive effort to distract her with bread. "Our deepest apologies for the damage to your lands. I hope it won't affect future relations unduly." He gave a disarming smile while nudging Parthenia with his shoulder on his other side, out of view of Chenoa, to at least back him up.

Parthenia Harland Ciran
Mentions: @Solace (Chenoa), @Rouge Rogue (Leon) @Psyker Landshark (Theodoric)

Parthenia continued to gouge herself on the food. It all was quite good; just as good, really, as what her family's esteemed chefs back home could create. The variety of food here, the sheer amount of options laid out just for one banquet, overwhelmed even Chef Hurdo's mad experiments back at her family estate. Although the amount of food that passed through her plate was more than a proper lady should be consuming, her table manners were still impeccable as the contents of her plate slowly disappeared.

It would have continued to disappear at that steady pace if a certain lady had not burst through the door. That certain lady was Chenoa Sylmare… an unorthodox sort of lady that happened to be quite angry about what had happened to her forest earlier in the day.

Still, the matter didn't concern her now. That would be Leonid's problem… At least until Juno and the Archbishop intervened. It was quite an entertaining exchange, with weapons drawn, even, but Parthenia found it curious that the two older ladies knew each other. She would have to ask Leonid or the professor about it later.

Listing to the argument, Parthenia simply could not fathom why somebody could care so much about a regular old forest. It didn't seem notable; it didn't seem particularly well tended, stocked full of rare game, or pretty enough that she thought it was worthy of not being prematurely razed into farmland. To her, that meant the only option was family pride. After all, somebody had messed with Lady Sylmare's property… although it was her fault in allowing the mock battle to be conducted there in the first place.

Regardless, this wasn't her responsibility to take. She kept nice and silent. At least until Theodoric prodded her side to cover for him. While she cracked a polite smile, this gesture was met with her stepping on his foot for the slightest moment, to show her displeasure for being forcibly reinserted into a matter that Parthenia preferred to wash her hands of.

"Lady Sylmare," she acknowledged in greeting, briefly bowing her head in respect. "I must echo his sentiments. What happened at the forest was most unfortunate, and I would like to offer my apologies on behalf of us all as well."

The Dining Hall
Interaction(s): Basically everyone

"I might just take you up on that challenge Mael," Alex replied, laughing a bit. The food certainly would be worth the fight. Hopefully they would have the option for seconds. He was quite please with the turn of events of the day, though seeing his dear sister seeming to dote on Victor was... well it was quite laughable to him. The blush was funny though. Besides, it wasn't his place to judge. No... he was judging... All her usual big talk and yet here she was. Rather, it wasn't his place to care.

Still, as the meal went on another interruption in the form of a beautiful woman came. He shrugged, opting not to pay it any mind at first. However, as the interaction went on, despite the unsettling silence that first plagued the room, one might have heard his chomping and chewing. Ah yes, the picture of nobility. Given he'd not made this much noise the entire meal, it was more than likely to anyone who bothered to pay attention that he had been a bit obnoxious in this regard on purpose. Luckily, the situation seemed to be settled before anything truly got out of hand. In fact, the woman, Lady Chenoa Sylmare even sat to join them. Leon's mother was she? Huh... Alex thought. He would expected a sister, or cousin. She didn't seem too old.

Still, it kind of irked him. All this fuss over a little land. But he'd bite his tongue. Yep, that's the right thing to do. That's what he was thinking as the others, namely Doric and Pathenia, began to apologize. For the entire group. An audible groan escaped his lips as he rolled his eyes.

"Oh yeah, let's apologize for the TOTALLY unexpected damage caused on a battlefield," he said, deciding to steer into the skid. "Who could have thought that a mock battle, the key word being 'battle,' could possibly have such uncanny repercussions." As he spoke, Alex took another bite of his food, using his fork to move it around on his plate, playing with it as he silently chewed. "Oh, but the ancestors," he continued after swallowing the hardy bite. "You've desecrated Sylmare's ancestral land, sacred land!" Alex said as he draped his free arm over his eyes in a truly dramatic display of mocking.

Alexander scoffed at the thought. "If the land were truly so important, so precious, why agree to allow the battle to take place at all?" For just a moment he glanced at Lady Sylmare, though he quickly looked away. "Perhaps we should asked the ancestors what they think of the this?" he paused for a moment, taking another bite. "Shall we?" he chewed slowly, before swallowing. "I'm sure their answers will be riveting."

Clearing his throat, Alex lowered the octave of his voice just a touch. "Disgraceful. To think the descents of our might Sylmare bloodline would be so petty." His poking and prodding aside, Alex found it quite the laughable issue to be quite honest. "It's almost as though you expected an issue to arise and planned to use the damaged battlefield as some kind of bargaining chip with which to garner some form of recompense from our all to kind and caring archbishop. But surely, the nobility of Sylmare would never do such a thing." Perhaps that'd been a bit too much. Not at all out of character, but still, too much all the same. Rolling his eyes again the young male simply continued to eat as though he'd not spoken at all.

It was quite likely that one or two of his housemates would not be please with his little outburst. Their poor professor too. For her and them, he actually was sorry. Not enough to hold his tongue on the matter, of course. Besides, he'd probably be punished later anyway. No point in dwelling on it.