Finding the Light

She nodded her head to him and smiled. She was eighteen today, and it wasn't any different then before.

Holding her by her shoulders, he looked her in the eye. "Well, I shouldn't need to tell you that today is a very special day," he said, smiling.

She smiled to him and nodded her head. "I'm 18 now," she said smiling softly to him.

He smiled back. "Yup. A very special occasion."

She smiled excitedly and smiled up at him. "No matter how I'm feeling you always make me happy again," she said softly to him.

He chuckled, then looked at her. "To celebrate the occasion, you may have or do anything you want today. All you have to do is ask."

She thought a moment and smiled at him. "Can we order a pizza and watch movies?"' she asked softly smiling at him.

He smiled at her. "What do you want on it?"

"Pepperoni? .... And half Olives?" she said. She knew he didn't like olives, but she loved black olives on her pizza. She smiled at him. "I'm gonna bake some brownies to have for desert," she said smiling.

Smiling he picked up the phone and ordered two pizzas, one with pepperoni, another with pepperoni and olives.

She smiled and went to go make the brownies. She made his favorite, making them with m&m's for him. She smiled as she put them in the oven and she cleaned up, sitting down on the counter, smiling at him. She had something else in mind but she'd ask him later.

He relaxed leaning against the counter across from her, smiling. "So other than what happened at school, how has your special day been so far?"

"I was told I was going to be valid Victorian for my class," she said softly. She was very smart, even though she had never gone to school as a child, before living with him. She excelled with school and always had the highest grades. She smiled at him. "They want me to write a speech for graduation day. And I got a scholarship for Penn State," she said softly to him, smiling at him.

His eyes widened a little at that. "That's fantastic!"

She smiled at him and nodded her head. "Graduation is in a few months," she said softly to him, smiling. "You'll be coming right??" she asked softly.

He laughed a little. "Of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world."

She smiled happily. She had wanted him to go and she was glad he would go. She looked up at him and she liked him. He was so kind to her.

"So, what movie should we watch?"

"I'm not sure... Can you pick the movies?" she asked him softly.

"sure, what are you in the mood for?"