Finding the Light

She nodded her head to him. "I've never seen one before..." she said softly, looking up at him.

He smiled down at her. "Well I guess you're in luck, because you'll get to tonight."

She looked at him and smiled widely and happily.

He handed her the shirt. "Are you going to need nny help getting those off? It looks like you grew a lot while you were wearing them."

She shook her head.

(Keep in mind she's eight years old right now)

"Alright then." He stepped out to let her change.

(I know, but I just thought I'd toss something in that I recall hearing a while back. In other words, someone wearing an outfit so long that it practically became part of them because they grew. Sort of a way of fleshing out how long she'd been on the run.)

(Oh okay, do you want to skip until she's older, 18, and then move on from there)

(Sure, I don't think there's much more we can do from here.)

(Okay)

Years pass and Ace grew up and she became a beautiful young woman. She was indebted to Arrow and she did everything she could to pay the debt. She cooked, she cleaned and she did anything he asked of her. She owed him her life and she would do what she promised to him.

Despite the fact that he was practically a father to her, he was always was closer than even a father could be. He supported her needs and treated her well, and always held her dear.

One day she came home, teary eyed and instead of talking about it, she ran to her room and to her bathroom, locking the door. She didn't want to talk about what had happened to her at school that day. Today was her birthday, yet the students thought it would be funny to pull a prank on her. She sat curled up on the floor, tears sliding down her face as she sat against the door.

Unlocking the door, he slid inside and knelt in front of her. "Whats wrong?" he asked, reaching forward to tilt her chin up and look her in the eye.

Her bottom lip was quivering and she looked up at him. "They called me a freak... That no one could ever love... That I was more like a sick puppy," she said softly, sadly, holding back her tears.

He frowned deeply, looking at her. "Now why did they say that?"

"I don't know.... I got a note from Johnathan Hicks, a boy in my class... I liked him and the note said that he wanted to talk to me on the bleachers and that he liked me. When I got there it was just a bunch of girls with him and... And they just started laughing at me..." she said sadly.

He frowned again. "Well don't worry about them. You're safe here, nothing will hurt you."

She nodded her head sniffling and wiping away the tears on her face. What he said was true. She was always safe here, always. She sat up and hugged him close, wanting to hug him.

He helped her up and hugged her back, kissing her cheek.

She smiled at him and when they pulled apart she smiled at him.

He smiled back calmingly. "Feel better now?"