Finding the Light

She shrugged slightly to him saying she was too young to be out there alone. "It's better then back there," she said softly to him before he got up to wash. She got up with him and pulled a chair over and helped him by drying the dishes. Her feet yelled at her with pain since she was standing on them, but she ignored it and continued to dry.

After washing the dishes, he looked down and saw her feet that had been cut badly from running barefoot in the woods. "Come on upstairs, I'll get those bandaged and get you some new clothes." He picked her up gently and carried her upstairs to the bathroom.

She squeaked when he picked her. She thought she would walk up stairs but he lifted her up instead. She was extremely light, lighter then she should for her age. She looked at him as he carried her, confused by his kindness. "Your so nice... I thought all grown up were mean like the wilburs," she said softly. She had never been allowed to be seen by potential parents why she never knew. She was kept in the basement in her cage. She was like an animal to them.

Smiling, he looked down at her. "Some are. Stay here with me, and you'll be safe though." He set her on the counter, gently wrapping her feet with gauze and then picking her up and moving her to the bedroom.

She looked at him with surprise. She was confused as well. Why would he want her to stay there? "Why? I'm nothing..." she said softly to him, as if she had been convinced of it.

He looked up, frowning a bit. "You're a person, despite whatever they taught you at the orphanage."

She shook her head. "No I'm not... If anything I'm like a dog," she said softly to him.

He walked over to her, kneeling by the bed and tilting her chin up to look her in the eye. "I want to tell you something, and I want you to heed it well. Whatever those people taught you about yourself amd about others, forget it. They were lying to you."

She looked at him and didn't believe him. "Why... Why should I trust you?" she said softly to him. She didn't believe him at all. It would take more then just words to change what years had done.

"Because if it weren't for me, you'd still be suffering out there in the cold, running and injured." He stood, walking to the dresser and finding an old shirt, much too large for either of them. "You could use this as a gown until I can get you some new clothes."

She looked at him and nodded her head. "You don't have to buy me clothes..." she said softly to him looking at the Shirt.

He raisedan eyebrow at her. "I will unless you intend to walk around here naked," he said jokingly.

She looked at him confused. "I had to while I was in my cage...." she said softly to him, completely serious.

He shrugs, unfolding the shirtand turning to you. "Well, whatever you're more comfortable with, it's fine by me."

She took the shirt and looked up at him and looked at it. "Okay... I'd like to wear clothes..." she said softly.

He smiled back, looking her over. "Alright then. I'll head out tomorrow and get some."

She nodded her head and looked at him.

He hands her the shirt, smiling. "This should work well until then, though."

She nodded her head to him. She looked around and not sure where she was supposed to sleep. "Where do I sleep? And what is this comfy pad?" she asked, pushing her hand against the bed, not sure what it was.

He chuckled a little, smiling at her. "It's a bed. I have a guest room next door, you can sleep there if you want."