Fighting the Losing Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boy scrambled past her, trying to get to Oliver while gazing around- trying to take in everything at once.
"T-thank you for letting me in, Miss. Bye."

Alex raised her eyebrows at his nervousness and crossed her arms following him into the office. Yeah, like he would get rid of her that easily. "Here he is. He needs protecting and thinks we're a charity. Although he does have some money with him…" She informed Oliver.

Oliver looked over the boy, he seemed weak, nervous and well... desperate. "Who do you need protecting from boy? And how did you find out where we are?" At this Alex cut in to answer the second question, "He told me that Erin, that barkeep over the slums told him about us." Oliver nodded but kept his eyes trained on the new boy and had his arms crossed over his chest threateningly but he had a pleasant smile on his face.

The boy fidgets, trying to avoid eye contact.
"From... Well... You have heard the name Cyrus Ryan right? H-Him."
He nods to back this claim up, maneuvering over to the window.

Oliver sighed and dropped his hands back to rest at his sides. "Yes, of course it would be him. He seems to be causing a lot of problems lately… What could you have done to him though? He doesn't usually single people out unless they have land or something he wants."

Evelyn watched the new man curiously and followed his movements across the room cocking her head to the side when she thought she heard something coming from outside. Her eyebrows furrowed and she closed her eyes as she tried to concentrate on the noise.

The boy sighed, looking back at Oliver pleadingly.
"He paid me to do something that I couldn't bring myself to do, and now he wants my payment back."

Meanwhile, Outside... "Who made that noithe?"

"Sorry, sir."
"Thhh! Don't pronounce your 'S'!"
"Yeth thir, thorry thir... Why thir?"

"Becauthe it'th the eathietht thound to hear while whithpering. And thtrap your gear down, it'th jingling. Now, quiet!"
"Yeth thir."

Ragnar turned his head as he heard Alex and a weak looking boy enter Oliver's office. His eyes narrowed as he looked over the stranger and gave a couple strong sniffs of the air. The boy looked human, and he smelled human as well, so it was reasonable to assume that he was indeed a human. But if he was human, why had they let him in? He stared suspiciously at the boy while he walked, his ears listening carefully to their conversation. He was not fond of humans in the slightest, and wasn't particularly pleased at the thought of one staying with them.

Alantriel sighed angrily as she heard her name. All too often she was being bothered nowadays. 'This had better be important' she thought. On her way up the stairs Alantriel left a few icy spots to spite the other occupants. They should be used to her tantrums by now and know to look for the spots, but there was always the hope she would catch someone unaware.

As Alantriel entered the office her eyes were immediately drawn to the human in their midst. Instinctively the temperature around her dropped as she glared at him. "First we mess with the other patrons of the house and know we let filthy humans into our home? We are a SECRET organization you know." She spat with hatred in her white blue eyes. "Someone had better start explaining or we're gonna have issues." The only thought running through Alantriels mind was the day her family was murdered because they trusted a stupid human.

The boy first noticed a man staring at him with misplaced eyes and pale white skin, the boy tried to be friendly- managing to smile and wave. Then another lady stormed in and began yelling about him- he tried to avoid her gaze. God, he had heard non-humanoids had short tempers... No kidding.
\

*Smack* a tree branch smacked into Scrubz's face
"Hardy ha ha yea laugh it up blue." Scrubz rubs his face

Scrubz keeps talking
"What I don't get Blue is humans are winning but lost there humanity I don't like it"
"Either way they think I'm human as long as i keep up my apperance I can get money"

Scrubz breathes in deeply

"That boy around here somewhere I can smell him plus his footprints going that way"

Scrubz looks around confused "This is frustrating he's so close yet i have no idea". He breathed in deeply and sat on a log. "Definitely time for a drink"
He reaches inside his cape to get his bottle and when the bottle hit his lips he stopped before any liquid touch his lips. He just stared at it and let the smell do the work. He started breathing heavily and fangs started to appear, his eyes went jet black and then he looked up and he could see the pumping heart of the boy. Inside a mansion hidden away.
In a very deep voice and not like himself "Gotcha".
In a flash he bust the front door opened and standing in the hall way. Looking towards the office where the boy was.
Then Pain hit him. He was on the floor grabbing his heart
"OK" He shouted He glanced at his hand, he still had the bottle in his hand gripped so tightly. He'd forgotten about the bottle till the pain started and quickly he drank the contents and put the bottle back into his cape.
Scrubz started breathing normally looked at the broken door
"Oh **** this can't end well".
Soon enough Scrubz vision blurred and passed out in the hallway regretting what he had just done.

Alex just blatantly ignored Alantriel's screaming of anger and looked at the boy with raised eyebrows and an irritated look, "Then why the hell don't you give the money back then? I'm all for angering the guy but are you serious?" He had even said and showed her the bag of money he had, surely if he had that to give to them then he could just give the payment back.

~

Oliver took a deep breath as he thought through his options with this man when Alantriel entered. He looked up at her, accustomed to her raging temper by now. "Alantriel, please calm down. This man, although he is human, needs our help. And do you really believe that reminding us of the status of our existence will change anything? We fight the humans because the harm others which means we help people and this man needs help. So please, sit down and wait for me to explain the purpose of calling you here before you begin to throw another temper tantrum." With that he turned, he replied the to boy, ignoring Alex's comment also. "All right, you may stay for now but will you please step out of my office for a moment before we talk through the rest of your stay? I need to talk to the rest about a new job for them."

~

Evelyn was sure she had heard something but she couldn't figure out what it was, it was gone now. She was about to move to the window to see if there was anything in sight that could have caused the noise but was stopped when Alantriel bursted into the room. She flinched at her yells, knowing that she was probably the reason for her original anger. She wasn't sure why they had allowed the human since their main enemy was humans and no one liked them, she personally hated them and was just getting over her intense fear of them. This was when the new man burst through the doors and up to the office but didn't make to the doors before collapsing. She ran out to see what was wrong with him. She kneeled beside him and, even though she didn't know much of anything when it came to healing, she still felt she should try to help him. "H-hello? Sir?" She said tentatively as she tried to figure out what happened.

The boy wondered how the doors in this place were still standing after being busted through so many times.

"B-because... Well... Mr. Ryan doesn't like it when people don't go through with their contracts... He's taking it from my corpse, or not at all."

He backed away from... Everybody... slowly, bumping against the wall and flattening himself against it. Both afraid and confused, he looked to Oliver for any kind of Order.

"I'll go soon. I-is this everybody?"

With a yelp Alantriel jumped back from the idiot that had crashed through the door. The look in his eyes was one she recognized because she had had it many times before herself, it was a death wish. He had obviously come here to kill someone. Thinking fast Alantriel used the moisture in the air to encase his legs in ice, pinning him to the ground. Turning around she moved up next to the human and placed her hand calmly on his shoulder. "You're right Oliver. That man came here for this kid and we should protect him."

The boy flinched, paused, then nodded vigorously- relieved he hadn't been turned into a Popsicle.
"See? See? I told you so. Totally."

Movement in Scrubz's body started and his eyes snapped open it was pure black but quickly turned to a nice deep red.
He looked up seeing a female looking over him
Scrubz gave a nice warm smile to her "Hey" Then he realized what he just done and tilted his head backwards at the smashed door.
He rubs his face trying to get himself together
Looking back to the female "I'm really sorry about your door i'll promise i'll fix it"
He was just about to get up and he realized his legs was frozen. He put his hand on the ice feeling the coldness. He gives out a long breath and mumbles

"yea yea i know i don't blame them"

He reaches inside his cape and grabs his bottle and started to drink from it then started looking around the room.

He sees many people around when his eyes met the boys it locked. "ah so your the one I'm after"
He looks down at his legs, puts his bottle away then looked at his hands rubbing his knuckle dusters.
He lies back down looking at the ceiling.
"looks like I'm not going anywhere soon, so go on ask your questions"

"and before you ask there's some human which will give me a lot of money for the kid alive. It's why I'm here in the 1st place. He didn't believe I could find him" Scrubz giggled to himself "Proved that moron wrong"

Rin entered the base and glanced around. She didn't see anybody around and just continued quietly sure that she would run into someone eventually. What she had seen in the port town Sargon had bothered her and she was off to Oliver's office to relay her discoveries. She walked down the halls and knocked on the door lightly before entering. As soon as she had walked in she froze in mild confusion. Rin had missed a lot more than she thought in her two week absence if there was a man froze to the ground and a human in the base. Her glance automatically went to Oliver as in asking what was happening.

The boy shook his head... He had no recollection of... Him... In the plan. He sighed, figuring he had no way of knowing just exactly what Cyrus Ryan would do. Tsk, Tsk.

"Hey Kid This job I took seemed fishy enough as it was but I needed money, needed something. And breaking in here was the very last thing I wanted to do but here we are"

Jouc just stood there as the human came in. He didn't even give the human a second glance, he really didn't care, or didn't seem to care. As everything played out he was a bit relieved to find out the kid would not be killed, it seemed like a bit much to kill someone so young just for being human. Most of the people here seemed to have the mind set of humans... more or less. They would kill a human before they trusted one. Really they were becoming the thing they vowed never to become, the very thing they were fighting against.

Someone burst threw the door and he had still yet to draw his sword. Instead Jouc just looked over at the strange man that lay unconscious on the floor. Everyone seemed to be deeply concerned about the boy and his 'hunter' but still Jouc didn't move, instead he just stood in the back of the room watching as everything happened. After a while he looked over at Oliver, "So, what was this mission?" He said as if nothing had happened. He didn't like being in a packed room and was ready to leave.

Ragnar's head jerked towards the entrance when he heard the door bust open. He slowly began to rise from his chair, nostrils flared, and tendrils of smoke streaming out of them. Soon enough, the culprit came rushing up the stairs, but then suddenly collapsed. Ragnar stopped for a moment and simply stared perplexedly at the man. However, unlike himself, Alantriel was much quicker to react and encased the intruder's legs in ice. For once he didn't mind her being reactive. Although, it wasn't long before the man awoke from unconsciousness.

Ragnar stared at the man intently as he spoke, his bright green eyes seeming to glow with energy. So, the man was after the boy. Well, it seemed that this stranger was most likely associated with the troublesome man, Cyrus Ryan, which would make them an enemy of there's. He still didn't quite trust the human boy, but he trusted this intruder less.

Ragnar strode towards the man lying on the ground and slid his sharp tipped tail under his chin. "That was quite an entrance you had," he growled, his eyes staring down at the man threateningly, "I would like you to fully explain yourself soon or you might be finding a few new holes added to your body... Who are you, what are you, as I can tell you are not human, and who sent you and why?" The spear-like end of his tail pressed down slightly on the man's neck as he continued, "And do not repeat what you had just said... You already stated that you came for the boy. I want to know specifically why you were sent here." He wanted to known the man's purpose and who he was before anything else was done. However, If Oliver did tell him to let up then he would, regretfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.