4. Prestige
  5. Douche
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Magical, Romance, Dystopian, Religious, Post-Apocalyptic, Zombies (but the plot has to consist of more than just mindlessly murdering the undead), Steampunk
C5skWnM.png

Hello and welcome to FFS!--Flash Fiction Selections!

What is flash-fiction you may ask?

Well, Flash-Fiction is a very short, but complete story written over a short period of time. You may have noticed a theme there; that’s right, the key word is “short”. Flash-fiction selections are typically not any longer than 1,000 words.

How do you take part?

To take part in this awesome event is simple enough, just look at the quotes or lines provided for this round and incorporate one or more of them into a short, complete story. Now, the focus of this little shindig is to focus on writing the story without all the flowery purple prose and extraneous wordage. In other words, we’re focusing on being succinct and to-the-point.

You know what they say, “Brevity is the soul of wit.”

At its core, FFS is a challenge, not a competition—the goal is for each writer to push themselves to create a complete and quality piece of writing, in a short amount of time and a short amount of text. As such, a panel of five judges has been assembled to assess the entries and select multiple winners, each granted the title of Finalist. If, and only if, one of these finalists demonstrates exceptional craftsmanship, they may be granted the bonus title of Grand Finalist. Both finalists and grand-finalists will receive a spot in the FFS Hall of Fame as well as a fancy ribbon beneath their username!

The theme for October is:

Skeletons in the Closet

Write a story using one of the lines below. You may change one or two words, but the line has to be recognizable by the judges.

• ”Some doors shouldn’t be opened.”
  • ”No! Don’t open that door!”
  • ”If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance” - George Bernard Shaw
  • ”I can feel it in my bones.”

Before rushing off to write your masterpieces, please read through all the rules and guidelines below.

• Two weeks are provided to complete the challenge, effective immediately. The deadline for submissions is the end of the day October 15th; as soon as the date rolls over into October 16th, entries are closed and late entries will not be accepted. Date rollover is based on the site's local time (North American Central/GMT-6). Send your entry via a single Inbox Conversation to all five FFS judges: @Turtle Knight, @Nemopedia, @Dipper, @Elle Joyner, and @Holmishire.

Once submitted, the entries will pass through a panel of five judges, who will review and nominate entries based on the quality of the storytelling, the narrative, and the editing. Following this, the panel will make a joint selection of the top entries to be awarded the title of Finalist. Each Finalist will receive a spot in the FFS Hall of Fame, as well as a shiny ribbon under their username!

In each iteration of FFS, there is a chance for one entry of exceptional quality to be awarded the title of Grand Finalist [spoili] (Due to its prestigious nature, a Grand Finalist may not always be awarded each iteration of FFS—so those who seek to ascend to the top of the top had better come prepared to work hard for it!)[/spoili]

1. Entries must be completed and submitted to the judges prior to the stated deadline.
    2. Entries must be between 100 and 1000 words in length.
    3. Entries must be written in prose, however, snippets of poetry or script may be included within entries so long as they are not the focus of the entry.
    4. Entries may contain sexual content, so long as none of the participants are under the age of thirteen.
    5. Entries written to harass, demean, or criticize Iwaku members and other persons living will be rejected.
    6. Entries must be written expressly for this iteration of the contest. Any entry found to be plagiarized from other works or written prior to the opening of the submission period will be disqualified, and the entrant may be banned from this and other future official contests at the judges' discretion.
    7. Entries may contain elements from other works, such as settings, events, themes, and public domain characters (such as from fairytales, myths, mythologies, or history), so long as they are sufficiently developed beyond the confines of the original representations. Settings, characters, events, and themes previously established by the entrant may also be used.
      • When using previously established elements in an entry, please keep in mind that the judges will only consider what is included in the story. Foreknowledge from other works or previous iterations of the contest should not be relied upon.
    8. Collaborative entries are not permitted. However, help from outsiders and fellow Iwaku members (excepting judges) in the form of feedback and editing is encouraged.
      • Please distribute drafts in private messages if posted on Iwaku. If seeking help offsite, ensure that authorship can be clearly linked back to Iwaku to prevent false accusations of plagiarism.
    9. Only one entry per entrant, per iteration of the contest.

• Send completed entry in a single private conversation to all five contest managers with a subject-line that makes it clear that it is a FFS entry, as well as which iteration of FFS it has been written for.
      • For example: FFS #1: (insert entry title here).
    • At any time prior to the submission deadline, an entry may be edited or replaced in the same private conversation as the initial submission. Please bump the conversation informing the judges of this change to ensure it isn't missed when the discussion thread is created.
    • Please note whether the entry is to be kept anonymous. Anonymous entries will not be credited with the author's username in either the discussion thread or the Hall of Fame. Entrants may revoke their anonymity at any time; to make it official, please ping one of the judges.
      • When a preference is not stated, entries will default to being credited.
    • Please note if the entry is to be closed to public reviews. Closed entries will not be open to reviews from non-judges. Additionally, while all entries will be reviewed by the judges, entrants may opt to have these reviews posted publicly, privately, or not at all.
      • When a preference is not stated, entries will default to being open to public reviews from both judges and non-judges.
    • If the entry contains sexually explicit content, it must be marked as such in the subject-line of the private conversation submission.

AAAAAAAAAAA *jumps for joy*

(Bonus points for those working with only ten sentences ;) ---
Not really, but why not?)

(Bonus points for those working with only ten sentences ;) ---
Not really, but why not?)
As long as there's a hundred words at least ;)

@Greenie are you planning on entering? :3

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
  • Love
  • Love
Reactions: noodle
Haha, thanks for your enthusiasm! I hope you're entering as well!
...I may have actually already entered so no worries there :P I got inspired.

...I may have actually already entered so no worries there :P I got inspired.
That is awesome! Can't wait to see what you've written! :bananaman:

• Thank You
Reactions: noodle
I might as well join. I need to write more anyway. (My one shots never get above 1k words anyway, so this is right up my alley.)

I might as well join. I need to write more anyway. (My one shots never get above 1k words anyway, so this is right up my alley.)
Same tho

• Love
Reactions: Turtle of Doom
I"m not sure I can say anything in 1000 words, but...this is to stretch yourself...so I am about to attempt yoga positions I never ever have I think. ...pray for me folks. This may be painful!

Mmm. The initial teaser for this "contest" had me intrigued, but now none of the required quotes really speak to me. :/ And with this upcoming week shaping up to be a busy one, I don't see myself being able to not only find time to think up an idea, but then also write it.

Oh well. Maybe next time. (Assuming there will be a next time?)

• Bucket of Rainbows
Oh well. Maybe next time. (Assuming there will be a next time?)
Hopefully there will be a next time! It depends on how well it does this time! :D

This is up my speed as well. Too long and I tend to drone on like Tolkien about minor or off topic things.
Oh man, I do the same. I'm super wordy most of the time.

Reactions: Auphe
I"m not sure I can say anything in 1000 words, but...this is to stretch yourself...so I am about to attempt yoga positions I never ever have I think. ...pray for me folks. This may be painful!
Do the thing!

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Ha. Wordy is a good word for it. I think so much that once I write something, I feel like I need four prequels and a trilogy that follows. Just so much information and depth that I think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.