Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
High fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by modern fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Risa Leontine stood on the opposite side of the street, staring at a run-down house with a level of intensity that made it look as though she was trying to figure out where to launch a strategic attack. The house seemed far from worthy for such consideration from the beautiful woman. It was a narrow, single story house, sitting side by side by side with equally cheap houses. There was nothing to distinguish it from its neighbors. They all pressed up tight against the sidewalk, scraps of weedy grass to grow in the cracks of concrete and spring up in the gaps between buildings. All had peeling paint that had been occasionally marred by graffiti the residents couldn't be bothered to pay to see removed, and the windows were half-blocked by mass-produced anti-magic spells that wouldn't stop any truly determined thief.

The beautiful woman seemed wildly out of place in the neighborhood. Everything about her reeked of money, from her carefully fitted light grey business suit to her manicured nails to the way her carefully highlighted brown hair cascaded in graceful waves over her shoulders. And, as though agreeing with the notion that she was out of place, Risa was showing obvious traces of nervousness. One hand was clenching and unclenching around the hem of her jacket, fingernails slightly stressing the fabric from her excessive worry, while the other tugged at a strand of hair that curled around her face. Taking a few deep breaths, Risa squared her shoulders, checked both ways for any oncoming traffic, and then marched up to the door. However, as though to hide her presence, every step was silent, and her heels made no sound against the concrete steps up to the front door.

She'd prepared carefully this moment, checked and double checked her process of ending up standing on this doorstep so that there wouldn't be any flaws. Risa was here as a representative of Magic Box Inc, the tech company that had sprung up from nowhere half a year ago and taken the world by storm with a new form of battery that was able to safely and efficiently store magical energy from a positively vast number of magical paths. Her company had quickly made deals with the other tech giants, and Magic Box batteries could now be found included in most of the next line of household appliances. The more other people tested and worked with Magic Box tech, the more they realized how efficient it was, and the more her company grew. Recently, she'd made a deal with the North American Druid's Alliance to work with them on creating a new line of farming equipment that would use druidic essence to promote crop growth. While searching for a suitable liaison, Risa had "found" an unemployed young druid woman who was a part of the alliance, and chosen her to be the NADA's liaison to Magic Box, despite the druids' subtle attempts to object to her choice. Of course, it might be strange for the CEO to come herself to pick up a liaison, but that simply showed how much she valued the cooperation. Or, at least, that's what Risa said. In truth, she simply couldn't hold herself back any longer.

Today, Risa had come to recruit Aislin Reid to Magic Box. But more than that, she'd finally found her way back to a doorstep she hadn't seen in so many months. A huffed breath escaped Risa's lips, the reflexive attempt to purr thwarted by a throat that could no longer support the noise. However, that didn't stop her eyes from narrowing into contented slits. Taking one last, calming breath, Risa raised her hand and knocked loudly on the door, waiting desperately for the wood to swing back out of the way and reveal her most precious person.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntress
The rather young looking red-head was laying on her too-small couch. The piece was intended to seat two people, obviously not meant for someone of her stature to lay on. Her legs dangled off the armrest, her neck a little kinked, mouth slightly agape as she snored with every other breath, one arm rested on her stomach, the other hanging off the side of the couch. Her home was minimally furnished. The floors were dark, cracked and chipped, the walls seemed dirty, cracked, and bubbling. Some areas even held mysterious stains that could very well be dangerous to one's health. A television played off to the side, the light of the screen flickering against the sleeping woman. Her fingers twitched, eyes darting rapidly under the lids; all signs of being in deep REM sleep, she was witnessing some sort of dream.

The sudden knocking was explosive in sensitive ears. Pale cloudy-green eyes shooting open with a snort as she jolted up against the couch, gripping the back cushion tightly while looking around the room in terror. Was she being attacked? What was happening? Her instinct questioned, heart racing, breaths coming in and out rapidly. Continuing to pant she looked around again and slowly adjusted herself on the couch, legs coming around the front, firmly planting her feet on the floor as she held her head while trying to calm her breathing. Taking in an extremely deep inhale she closed her eyes and sat up before exhaling and opening her eyes. The next knock had been just as loud but not as startling. This time the red-head gripped the bottom cushion of the couch, the confusion evident across her features. Was she working today? Her attention turned to the rickety coffee table before her. There was a massive amount of papers stacked on-top of one another, seemingly unorganized and tossed about. It was her own unique method of organization. Thumbing through the sheets she found a calendar. There were no days blocked off in the current week, so who the heck was pounding at the door? Her bills were up to date and she had no friends. Maybe they'll just leave if I don't open the door. She told herself. A third knock followed her eyes viciously flicking towards the front door.

With a sound of annoyance, she pushed herself up off the couch and stretched. Bones popped and cracked from having fallen asleep in such an awkward position. Grunting as she rolled her neck and stretched her shoulders, she sighed and shook her head before walking down the hall to her front entrance. Glancing through the grimy peep hole she grew even more confused as she watched the well-dressed woman raise her arm for another knock. Pulling the door open, the red head filled the frame so that the woman opposite her couldn't look into the disaster that was her home. "Uh," she cleared her throat, "can I help you ma'am? Are you lost?" she raised a brow. Ashen-green eyes locking onto honey-browns.

Knocking on the door for the first time, Risa was able to keep herself calm. She rapped smartly against the wood, and then lowered her hand to her side, very carefully keeping it from further marring her nice suit jacket. Risa might know Aislin, but that wouldn't appear to be true the other way around. She had to make a good first impression.

Knocking on the door for the second time, Risa couldn't help the feeling of anxiety that bubbled up inside of her. Was it possible Aislin wasn't home? She really hadn't left any time between her meeting with the druids until she'd gone to pick up her new 'liaison', but she knew Aislin's habits. It was the middle of the day, and without a job to get her moving, there was no way she'd be out and about at this time. She had to be home.

Knocking on the door for the third time, Risa was starting to consider the merits of busting the door down. She'd been gone for so long. So long. Who knew what had happened to Aislin in the time she'd been gone. The druids hadn't given her any personal information about Aislin's current state. Risa had danced around most of their explanations about her strange behavior, her questionable use of druidic magic, unwilling to let their reason mar her decision. It had only seemed natural at the time that they hadn't told her anything about how Aislin was living. But what if they'd been keeping it hidden from her on purpose? What if something had happened, and the druids were unwilling to let an 'outsider' peer into their circle's messy business? Aislin did have a tendency to walk into accidents, and Risa hadn't been there to protect or take care of her. What had happened? What had happened?

Preparing to knock on the door for a fourth time, Risa's entire being was frozen when the door suddenly swung open. There, standing as though framing herself with the edges of the door, was Aislin. Her ginger hair was slightly rumpled, looking as though she'd been laying on it for several hours, and a loose shirt hung around her shoulders, framing the line of her collar. She was perfect, and Risa's upraised arm almost instinctively reached out to swat at one of the locks of red hair that loosely framed her face, just like she'd done so many times with gentle, playful paws.

It wasn't until Aislin spoke that Risa was able to recollect herself. Ma'am. That was right. She and Aislin were supposed to be strangers, unfamiliar with each other. Desperately trying to keep any expression off her face, Risa swallowed, before lowering her hand and extending it in a businesslike manner. A gentle smile graced her face.

"No, I'm not lost," she replied with a laugh. "I'm here on behalf of the Druidic Alliance. You were chosen to be the liaison for the NADA in their business deal with Magic Box Incorporated. …Did they perhaps not inform you? You are Aislin Reid, are you not?" Casually throwing the blame for her impatientness onto the other party without their consent, Risa continued to watch Aislin with her eyes practically gleaming with eagerness.

• Love
The momentary silence was uncomfortable. Aislin watching the woman opposite her. It almost seemed like the sharp-dressed woman was studying her. Why? The red-head was unsure, she did her best to not linger on the thought. A hand was eventually outstretched towards her, she glanced down at it before looking back up, landing on the gentle smile. Slowly reaching out for the woman's hand, Aislin took it carefully and shook it with caution. The confusion continued to spread across her face in response to the woman's words.

Letting go of the other's hand, ashen-emerald eyes narrowed as she tilted her head to the right slightly. "Yeah…I'm Aislin Reid." She responded before clearing her throat and readjusting her slouched posture. Standing up straight she folded her arms across her chest. "But all of this doesn't sound right." She explained. Sure, the woman before her used her name, proper pronunciation and all, but Aislin knew that the druids would never send a job this fancy sounding her way. They knew just as well as she did, how truly unreliable she was with her abilities. To represent a whole association was not something she was capable of, she didn't have the credentials nor the experience. "I'm not surprised that they didn't tell me about this." She explained. "Because if it was up to them, they wouldn't have even thrown my name out for consideration." She swallowed back as she looked directly into the honey browns opposite her. "There must've been some sort of mistake." She said with a small huff as she looked away. One hand coming up to grip the door frame. Her attention quickly returning to the woman before her. "Are you sure they didn't say NOT Aislin Reid? Cause that sounds a little more like it." She chuckled with a half smile. "I just find it hard to believe that's all." She shrugged.

Risa's eyes narrowed in a cheerful smile as Aislin's hand met her own. She pumped it twice in a traditional shake, before forcing her fingers to uncurl when Aislin began to withdraw her hand. A part of her desperately wanted to hold on, to cling to those pale, delicate fingers, but she urged herself to be patient. There would be plenty of time for that later. Right now, she just had to be patient. Later.

With the same cheerful smile on her face, Risa watched Aislin's nervous, confused prattling. It wasn't as though the woman hadn't expected this behavior from the redhead in front of her. Aislin had been bouncing job constantly, desperately trying to settle into the opportunities the druids would provide for her, only to end up failing and forced out.

No, Risa wasn't unfamiliar with this information, but neither Aislin nor the druid alliance knew that. It was part of the reason the druids had been so anxious when Risa had said she was going to invite Aislin to her company. They had tried to explain, but Risa had bowled over all of their objections with the same cheerful smile she was wearing right now. Unfortunately, Aislin wouldn't be so easy to convince.

"I'm quite confident there's no mistake," Risa replied, shaking her head slightly and causing her hair to bounce. "I'm the one who selected you after all. And you don't have to worry, the druids made your various challenges and the necessary accommodations quite clear." The words rolled out of Risa's mouth so naturally it sounded as though such worries were so small they didn't even register as a concern in her eyes. However, inside, Risa's heart was pounding in nervousness. Making sure no trace of it showed on her face, she continued to speak.

"You'll learn pretty quickly once you get started that Magic Box is about as far as it's possible to get from the standard operating procedure of most companies. What we value more than anything is flexibility and ingenuity. I value the druidic alliance greatly as business partners, but you must admit they can be quite… rigid in their thinking." Laughing slightly, Risa cast a quick, appreciative glance at Aislin. "Of all the people on the roster, you were the only one who struck me as being capable of breaking far enough out of the mold to actually help."

Finishing her sentence, Risa forced herself to stop speaking. She'd been preparing that little speech for so long, knowing she needed to persuade Aislin that she was valued if she was going to have any hope of breaking the woman out of her shell. However, over-selling it would cause just as much suspicion as ignoring it. Now it was simply a matter of waiting and seeing how she'd receive Risa's words.

• Love
Her brow arched as high as it possibly could at the sound of the woman's confidence towards this not being a mistake. The left brow soon joined the right as the redhead heard that she had selected her. The look of confused surprise was wide as Aislin scoffed in shock. "You chose me?" Her brows knitted, eyes narrowing. A momentary look of offense coming through her eyes as the woman before her mentioned her challenges and accommodations as if she was a person that had special needs. That wasn't true at all. Aislin wasn't handicapped or anything of the sorts. She just had to focus, pay attention and preferably avoid casting spells. It was simple really, it just made it hard for her to find and hold a job that was beyond meaningless, physical labour. Which unfortunately was really the only thing she was good at.

Clenching and unclenching her jaw as she listened, Aislin shifted slightly where she stood. Clearing her throat and glancing off to the side for a moment before lowering her gaze. She eventually flicked her eyes up to meet the ones opposite her. "I'm not a fan of the traditional ways they choose to practice, that's true but this whole situation still has me a little confused. This offer still sounds too good to be true." She explained. "I never caught your name by the way." She stated, bringing her head up, eyes just confident enough to hold the others. "Forgive me for being so skeptical towards this whole ordeal. I'm not used to opportunities coming my way, usually I have to seek them out or they're kind of thrown in my direction." Aislin looked away.

There was a deep sigh from the redhead. The expulsion of air coming from her nose as she looked back into honey brown irises. "So you just want me to be the person that communicates between the druids and the company?" Aislin wanted to make sure that she fully understood the position being discussed.

"Ah, my apologies, I got a bit distracted." Risa offered an apologetic smile, tinged with a faint hint of embarrassment.

She'd fully intended to start with introducing herself, stating both her name and her position with the company. However, Aislin's question of whether or not she was lost had shattered her flow, and Risa had skipped that part of the script. It was a mistake she normally never would have allowed herself to make, but seeing Aislin again and knowing that the two of them would be together again soon had made her careless.

Mentally scolding herself, she couldn't allow herself to make such an amateur mistake again, Risa extended her hand once more to offer another handshake. "My name is Risa Leontine, President of Magic Box Incorporated. Once again, it's a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Reid."

Withdrawing her hand, Risa offered another, professional smile, before beginning to roll through a great deal of words, hardly without pause.

"As for your role in the company, you will primarily be acting as a liaison between Magic Box and the NADA. This means you'll be regularly observing our experiments, development procedures, and trial runs, and bringing the results back to the druids. If they have any questions about the process, our plans, goals, or current thought processes, you'll do your best to answer them, so that our researchers can continue to focus on their jobs without interruption.

"Likewise, if the druids have any requirements, or are not satisfied with the work we are producing, you can bring that information to the development team management staff. I'm sure the druids will have their own expectations for you, but you should reach out to them to learn about all that."

Finally finishing with her little speech, Risa laughed slightly. "That was a lot of information at once, but you don't have to worry about any of that yet. The whole team needs to get settled in and comfortable with each other, and that includes you. For the first while, your only job will be to get to know the people you'll be working near. There will be plenty of time for you to settle in and get familiar with the company and the project after that."

President? Aislin questioned internally. Why would the president of the company come all this way for her? Why not send some lackey? The thoughts caused the red-head to clench her jaw for a second, her attention remaining on the woman before her. This was still extremely confusing to her. The added information of the President of the company standing before her, only making this even more surreal and difficult to believe. As words were thrown at her, Aislin simply nodded slowly, attempting to understand everything. It wouldn't be that easy, but she didn't need to show any more confusion than she already had. "I guess taking this step-by-step will be the best. I'm more of a do and learn kind of person anyway." She explained and attempted to remain casual with a small shrug. "Glad to know I won't be the only one trying to figure things out and getting settled into something new." She stated simply.

It seemed like it was time for Aislin to stop asking questions, have some hope and perhaps just follow along with this whole thing and not fuck it up. She could do this; it didn't seem like anything too complicated. Meeting a whole bunch of new people and trying to make good impressions aside. She cleared her throat. There was no magic involved and she just had to pay attention to herself and her actions. Nothing she wasn't used to…right? She swallowed back and smiled slightly towards Risa. "I don't think I have anymore questions. I mean, if you're claiming to be the president of this company and you're saying they approved of this, I can't argue that. Sure, I can sit here and question it, but that doesn't change you standing before me and looking pretty determined to not leave until I accept this." Aislin looked at the woman before her. "I need a job, and I'll take anything I can get." Hopefully the stress and anxiety don't fuck me over. She told herself. The worst outcome was that Aislin simply made a fool of herself, at which point she'd just hope for another job to come up, one she could keep

• According to Plan
Reactions: Peregrine
At Aislin's confirmation, an almost blissful grin briefly spread its way across Risa's face, causing her eyes to momentarily squint closed. However, the expression only lasted for a split second before it reformed into a much more temperate smile.

"Wonderful," Risa said, before her hand tucked into one of her pockets, withdrawing a large manila-style envelope from within. It appeared, that in addition to her clothes being carefully tailored to fit her, they'd also had several advanced enchantments woven into them. She presented the packet to Aislin. "This contains basic information about the company, and some onboarding information and contracts. None of it is urgent, so review it at your leisure or ignore it completely and we'll handle the important bits in the time to come.

"We've been preparing for the deal with the Druids for a while now, so you are welcome to start as early as tomorrow morning. However, if you or the Alliance needs a bit more of a delay than that, just make sure to let someone know. The top packet contains the address of headquarters. I'm looking forward to working with you, Aislin."

After Risa Leontine the President of Magic Box Inc had left; Aislin still found herself in disbelief. The red head still felt that this was some sort of error, despite the paperwork she had been given in the manila folder having her full name and all the associated personal information within it. It was all real, yet she still wasn't convinced. So much so that Aislin called the NADA and asked to speak to Richard, one of the druids that she often dealt with when it came to work. He explained that they were just as surprised that Risa had asked for her by name, and it was all indeed true. He also mentioned that they had informed Risa on how to handle Aislin as a member of her company, a subtle scoff coming from the woman, and whatever else was required to make sure that Miss Leontine was indeed looking for Aislin.

Although still hard to accept, even with Richard's confirmation, the woman found herself slightly more convinced about the position. She had never held a corporate job, and that thought spiralled into a million other aspects of overthinking. She needed new clothes, she had to make sure she understood the corporate etiquette, how did things work in an office? What did she need to bring? Did she even need to bring anything to work other than herself? Would they provide everything? The questions continued to flow in her mind.

Out of all the things she wondered about, the only thing she managed to convince herself to do was purchase some new clothes. The rest of her evening upon returning home consisted of trying to make dinner and reading the folder she had been given. Making food was a success, some of it ending up on the paperwork as Aislin found herself falling asleep as she read.

The next morning, she woke up to severe stress and anxiety as she checked the time and immediately sprung into action. The manilla folder falling to the ground, its contents spilling all over Aislin's worn, old floor; the mostly empty bowl of pasta spilling some leftover sauce on more papers. Cursing to herself, the red head attempted to collect all the paperwork and place it back in the folder. It was a rushed, messy job that only created more of a mess with the included pasta sauce. Groaning she placed the papers on the couch before stumbling forward, tripping on the coffee table and scrambling to the bathroom to get a quick shower in.

Going through some of the fresh, new clothes after drying her hair, Aislin picked out a pair of black slacks, a deep, hunter green top that was sleeveless, with a low collar line, and small opaque ivory buttons. She had also purchased a black cardigan to wear overtop all that. New, black flats, being self conscious about her height, and a new large black purse to fit whatever she needed. The druid had never been one for makeup, but she tried her best to put just a little on. She didn't wish to look like a tired mess on her first day. Taking a final look in the mirror, Aislin found herself satisfied with her appearance. Picking up the messy, somewhat greasy folder she left her home, wallet keys and all in her large purse.

Unable to afford a car, the redhead was thankful to catch the bus on time, as rammed as it was, she found a spot to stand in. Her heart racing as she stood in such a confined space with so many bodies around her. Swallowing back and doing her best to keep the sounds and scents at bay, Aislin's pale green eyes were looking down, focused on her own form, her head lowered as her grip on the rubber strap that kept her standing was tight. Almost missing her stop after having to shove passed other commuters, the woman succeeded in eventually making it out of the bus. Swallowing back, she walked towards the large glass tower. Tilting her head back all the way to look up, she took in a deep breath and exhaled in an attempt to calm herself. Her mouth grew dry and the tightness in her stomach became worse as her nerves bundled up even tighter. "You got this." She lowered her head and exhaled. The smell of the greasy pasta sauce was strong on the manilla folder. Looking down at it she noticed the spots of tomato sauce, pulling back the folder her eyes grew wide as she saw tomato sauce on her cardigan. "Shit…" She muttered to herself. "Great fucking first day…" Aislin growled at herself before shoving the folder in her purse and then wriggling out of her cardigan. Bundling the fabric up she tossed it into her bag and checked herself before walking into the building.

Aislin was a very self-conscious person, and she always stressed about first impressions. Her exposed arms added to her anxiousness. It didn't feel like sleeveless attire was appropriate in an office setting but it was certainly better than a spaghetti stained sweater. Approaching the desk in the lobby she asked about 'Magic Box' and was told which floor to head up to. The elevator ride felt eternal and Aislin could swear that every person in the elevator could sense her anxiousness and hear her racing heart. The metal box dinged upon arrival, the doors sliding open to reveal the office floor. Brushing passed others with muttered apologies, the redhead approached the front desk and was greeted by a very nice lady. "Uh— hello." She smiled. "My name's Aislin Reid. Today's my first day and I'm not quite sure where to go." The smile grew more subtle as she shrugged slightly.

Magic Box Inc dominated the top ten floors of a downtown skyscraper, filled to the brim with other tech companies. However, compared to those other companies that had packed in their workers as densely as could be reasonably allowed, the different atmosphere of Magic Box was apparent the instant the elevator doors opened.

The lobby was light and airy, the walls painted in solid single colors of the shade of blue. The front desk swooped across the lobby in a graceful curve. Behind the counter, a middle aged woman with hair the color of sandy copper beamed widely as soon as Aislin entered.

"Let me guess, you're Ashlynn Reid, right?" the woman greeted. "Don't worry, you're just in the right spot. Colin stepped out for just a couple minutes, but he's gonna walk you through all the boring paperwork stuff as soon as he's back. We should have you ready to meet the rest of the team by lunch."

The woman's grin somehow managed to grow wider, if that was possible, before she beckoned Aislin over cheerfully. "Just take a seat, if you'd like, or if you've already got some questions, feel free to toss them my way, and I'll see if I can dig up an answer." The woman paused for a second, before her eyes widened as though in sudden realization. "I'm Marie, by the way. I'm not involved in all the research stuff, so I don't know how often we'll meet up after this, but I'm always around if you need help with something."

The lady that greeted her seemed beyond excited, happy and eager. It almost felt like too much for Aislin. But the kindness that the woman beamed onto her was enough to keep a subtle smile on the red-head's lips. "It's a pleasure to meet you Marie. Hopefully we will continue to greet each other. Your brightness should be enough to get anyone through their day." Aislin tried to be kind in her words before stepping back and taking a seat to wait for Colin, the gentleman that was going to help her get a handle on all these things. If only he could help her get rid of her anxiousness and overthinking about this job too.

"Aww, what a sweetie," Marie crooned back, before allowing the redhead to take a seat. Either she'd been told something in advance, or Marie could tell from Aislin's general attitude that she wasn't much for idle chatter, but she let the other woman sit quietly and wait.

A few minutes later, and a beep sounded from the heavy metallic door that was half hidden around the corner from the reception desk. The door swung open a second later, to reveal a middle aged man with blue, spiked hair and a square jawline. He turned towards Marie, his eyes unconsciously skating over Aislin, before his gaze snapped back to her.

"Aislin Reid?" Colin asked, wearing a smile that was obviously supposed to be friendly. However, combined with his spiky hair and rather austere facial features, it came across more artificial than he probably intended. "Glad you were able to find the place alright. And made it on time. Knowing the boss lady, she probably sprung all of this on you without any warning. Did you at least get 24 hours notice?"

Last edited:
The beep was heard loud and clear, startling almost as cloudy green eyes looked towards the sound only to watch a man approach shortly after. At first he just glanced passed Aislin, that certainly wasn't a confidence booster. Clenching her jaw, she looked to the floor and exhaled. Relax, maybe he's not looking for you. She told herself before taking another deep breath and looking back up with a sigh. Her name was called out, which had Aislin perking up and looking towards the blue haired man. The red-head's smile was subtle as she stood up and nodded. "That is my name." She spoke quietly and approached him. Her smile grew a little wider as she chuckled in agreement. "Yeah it was definitely out of nowhere." Taking a moment to herself she pondered for a sec. "I guess you could say it was maybe almost twenty-four hours." The awkwardness was evident. "She spoke to me yesterday morning and my anxiety hasn't settled since then. If anything, it feels like it's getting worse." Word vomit. She said to herself and quickly stopped talking. Clearing her throat as she gathered herself, she met Colin's gaze again. "Follow you?" Both brows arched in question.

"Follow me," Colin agreed, gesturing towards the elevator before walking over himself. "The boss is really good at judging people, but she's equally good at.. hah, going to get what she wants as soon as she finds it. A couple of people she headhunted got the offer at breakfast and were working here before lunch."

Colin pressed the up button on the elevator, before the doors slid open, permitting the two entry. With a familiar motion, he tugged at the badge tied to his waist, causing it and its extendable cord to move towards a black badge reader. The moment it beeped and flashed green, Colin released his badge and pressed the button for two floors up.

"I'm Colin Pharrel, by the way," he said. "Official title is Project manager for the research and development team. Mostly, though, it's my job to keep all the boring stuff away from the actual research team, so that they can do what they do best. If anything gets in the way of them doing their job, it's my job to make sure that goes away as quickly as possible." He smiled at Aislin again, the expression appearing slightly more relaxed this time. As the elevator slowed and the doors slid open, Colin continued his little speech. "Same goes for you. I may technically be in charge of stuff, but most of the time it's my job to help you, not the other way around."

Unlike the reserved grace of the lobby, this floor was clearly more geared towards raw practicality. Everything was clean glass and metal, and the entire corridor almost reeked of modern industrialization and professionalism. "My office is down this way. We'll just get you through all the boring paperwork stuff, and then I'll give you a quick tour of the place before lunch."