Fellow American Iwakuans.

• Thread starter Fel of the Eternal Forest
  • Start date
If it wasn't on Wikipedia, a lot of Americans would have no idea it was going on.

I think it's ridiculous censorship.

And the main reason is because all the mainstream media is owned by the corporations that sponsor this bill.

Never, ever trust corporate owned news. lol.

If it wasn't on Wikipedia, a lot of Americans would have no idea it was going on.

I think it's ridiculous censorship.

I don't see this as a bad thing.
It just means Wikipedia is amazing for wanting to step up.
Ignorance is not bad. Bragging about ignorance and continuing to be uneducated is. I don't blame anyone for not knowing. We all have busy lives, some of us live in different realms of information.

Isabellas don't like where they live.. everyone here swears by Fox News... Noone has heard anything about this even though they all have computers and internet... all so they have not heard anything about the Occupy Wall Street thing... when Isabellas bring these things up everyone attacks them and calls them ignorant for not trusting the news.. Isabellas need to move to Norway.. It seems like a cool place.

I don't see this as a bad thing.
It just means Wikipedia is amazing for wanting to step up.
Ignorance is not bad. Bragging about ignorance and continuing to be uneducated is. I don't blame anyone for not knowing. We all have busy lives, some of us live in different realms of information.

It's bad because it shows how the news channels can manipulate the masses' attention away from the things that really counts. This way they can slowly restrict your freedom to their liking.
People are not ignorant, an ignorant enviorment breeds ignorant mindsets and communities. Capitalism's biggest earners are 'ignorance' and 'missery'.
How is ignorance not bad?

With respect to most topics, ignorance isn't all that bad. It's not bad that I don't know how to change a piston inside a car, for example. However, when it comes to things that affect many millions of people all around the world, ignorance is absolutely bad.

Have you ever been sitting at the television, watching CNN or Fox, and really observed some of what goes on? Next time you're in this situation, I would like for you to note approximately how much time is dedicated to a segment about the tragedy off the coast of Italy, and then note how much time is dedicated to the latest Hollywood gossip story.

People aren't hearing about this sort of thing because the media doesn't want to draw any more attention to it, not because people have busy lives with varying levels of interest in particular subject matter.

Reactions: 1 person
Have you ever been sitting at the television, watching CNN or Fox, and really observed some of what goes on? Next time you're in this situation, I would like for you to note approximately how much time is dedicated to a segment about the tragedy off the coast of Italy, and then note how much time is dedicated to the latest Hollywood gossip story.

People aren't hearing about this sort of thing because the media doesn't want to draw any more attention to it, not because people have busy lives with varying levels of interest in particular subject matter.

This is exactly the kind of media-enforced ignorance that Americans suffer from.

SOPA was so underplayed in popular news channels. I didn't know about the Costa Concordia until I overheard my dad listening to BBC Radio. NY1 was more worried about some shop robbery, a movie review, and some other dreadful news that I can't remember, but I know are usually the same day-to-day.

With respect to most topics, ignorance isn't all that bad. It's not bad that I don't know how to change a piston inside a car, for example. However, when it comes to things that affect many millions of people all around the world, ignorance is absolutely bad.

Ignorance is not bad given they're willing to learn. However, it's entirely unrealistic to expect everyone to know. What I was getting at is ignorance is not an insult. It's not one cause that brings people to not know about SOPA/PIPA. People can still have busy lives, so let's not sum it up in one pretty package. And actually, I heard quite a bit about the Italy disaster from the bit I watched. TV News is shit. That much is certain.

However, it's NOT the only source of information. Plenty of people don't even have cable anymore! The fact that Google and Wikipedia both stepped up says a lot. And even Reddit! Reddit gets millions of hits, and while not all are from America, that's a LOT of people. And millions have signed Google's petition, and many senator sites actually went down because of all the traffic.

Ignorance is not evil. Ignorance is not bad. Punishing people for being ignorant is. Educate amongst your peers.

Also, we have 35~ or so congressmen that are opposing the bill as of now. We need 45 to overturn it.
It's even better than that.
Check it out.

I truly didn't know anything about this bill until the 17th at 6 in the morning, waiting for class to start. I heard this from Porg...

FROM PORG!

I never realized how uninformed I was until I realized that I had not heard a darn thing about this from my grandmother, who watches the news religiously, or my father who happens to work with computers! The fact that this was so down played just shows that they were hoping to keep it in the dark until they had a chance to make sure they had a lot of support. I don't even think the people in the house or senate really realized the consequences of the bill and the effect it not only has on the country but the whole world!

I mean, I still don't know everything, though I'm trying to get the right story the best I can. I'm also hoping to send an email to my representative or senator, or both if I can find them, and let them know how much I dislike it! If I can, I will also try and change my facebook and anything else I can do, even if I have to spread the word vocally!

Again, the reason you don't hear anything about it is the fact that all the news companies are owned by 6-7 media giants. News doesn't hold up to the standards that it did in the early years of TV. It's now focused on sound bites and flashy lights because it is entertainment to most these days.

Back to point, the companies that own the big name news outlets are the same ones that support SOPA, which includes NBC, ABC (owned by Disney), Fox, CBS (owned by Viacom) and CNN. They aren't going to mention something that could get their parent companies in trouble.

The interwebs is okay for news, but once again my websites are owned by these same giants. AOL, for example, is controlled by Time-Warner, which also supports SOPA. Right now about the only good news networks are independents, which are increasingly more difficult to find. That and most people don't bother to watch PBS....

I'm not sure if any of us is even on the same page when we are discussing ignorance here.
Ignorance is not something a person is born with, it is a state of mind. AGAIN; ignorant enviorments breeds ignorant mindsets.
The media is perhaps the most influential enviorment to do so, it's a very powerful TOOL that can be used by the evil and the bad. When a media outlet use their resources to spread news that really is not that important("the Kardashians/the Queen of Denmark turns 120 years old") and prioritize it over something else("SOPA/NDAA") that will have a much bigger affect on the common people, it should be argued as bad journalism and therefore ignorant.

EDIT:
And when the media use resources to spread unimportant news knowingly, ignoring more important topics and giving their reports a one-sided, often biased angle on international stories, shouldn't that be questioned as bad or even evil?

EDIT2:
And I think it's very dangerous when you have different news channels in the USA who are clearly biased. Just look at how much exposure certain pundits gets. They are more about pushing agendas, from what I can see, CNN, Fox and MSNBC are all very biased in their reporting, they all seem to have some form of ideology behind their rhetorics. News channels should be about REPORTING FACTUAL news, critizising authority(government and corporative alike) and giving attention to matters that actually.....matter....in the real world.

I hope I didn't drift off too much there. I'd also like to mention that besides watching 'CNN International'(which seems like a good channel to me) the only hands on information I've got on biased news channels is from The Daily Show, which is, a satirical show on Comedy Central(owned by Viacom).

I'm not sure if any of us is even on the same page when we are discussing ignorance here.
Ignorance is not something a person is born with, it is a state of mind. AGAIN; ignorant enviorments breeds ignorant mindsets.
The media is perhaps the most influential enviorment to do so, it's a very powerful TOOL that can be used by the evil and the bad. When a media outlet use their resources to spread news that really is not that important("the Kardashians/the Queen of Denmark turns 120 years old") and prioritize it over something else("SOPA/NDAA") that will have a much bigger affect on the common people, it should be argued as bad journalism and therefore ignorant.

EDIT:
And when the media use resources to spread unimportant news knowingly, ignoring more important topics and giving their reports a one-sided, often biased angle on international stories, shouldn't that be questioned as bad or even evil?

Definition of IGNORANT

a : destitute of knowledge or education <an <em="">ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified
ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>

: unaware, uninformed

ig·no·rant·ly adverb
ig·no·rant·ness noun

You're born ignorant. Everyone is. Ignorance isn't a choice. It's a default state when someone doesn't know something. Ignorant is not an insult or a bad thing. It's simply a lack of knowledge. Arrogance about ignorance, however, is not good.

Don't just assume that all American's are unwilling to learn things. That's one stereotype that I'm sick of hearing. Ignorance may be an abundance but there are plenty willing to learn. My mother the other day was asking me why google was blacked out and about SOPA. She's not the most well informed and that's fine. Ignorance is simply a basic state. EDUCATE and perhaps people will become not ignorant. Educate, don't throw names at each other.</an>

If you're against a news network, do something. Boycott their company and refuse to buy their products. Do research.

And in semi-related news:

The FBI and Universial Music took down a site called Megauploads. Anonymous decided to strike back and took down Justice.gov and Universalmusic.com

Justice Department Charges Leaders of Megaupload with Widespread Online Copyright Infringement

WASHINGTON – Seven individuals and two corporations have been charged in the United States with running an international organized criminal enterprise allegedly responsible for massive worldwide online piracy of numerous types of copyrighted works, through Megaupload.com and other related sites, generating more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and causing more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners, the U.S. Justice Department and FBI announced today.

This action is among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States and directly targets the misuse of a public content storage and distribution site to commit and facilitate intellectual property crime.

The individuals and two corporations – Megaupload Limited and Vestor Limited – were indicted by a grand jury in the Eastern District of Virginia on Jan. 5, 2012, and charged with engaging in a racketeering conspiracy, conspiring to commit copyright infringement, conspiring to commit money laundering and two substantive counts of criminal copyright infringement. The individuals each face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit racketeering, five years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit copyright infringement, 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit money laundering and five years in prison on each of the substantive charges of criminal copyright infringement.

The indictment alleges that the criminal enterprise is led by Kim Dotcom, aka Kim Schmitz and Kim Tim Jim Vestor, 37, a resident of both Hong Kong and New Zealand. Dotcom founded Megaupload Limited and is the director and sole shareholder of Vestor Limited, which has been used to hold his ownership interests in the Mega-affiliated sites.

In addition, the following alleged members of the Mega conspiracy were charged in the indictment:

Finn Batato, 38, a citizen and resident of Germany, who is the chief marketing officer;
Julius Bencko, 35, a citizen and resident of Slovakia, who is the graphic designer;
Sven Echternach, 39, a citizen and resident of Germany, who is the head of business development;
Mathias Ortmann, 40, a citizen of Germany and resident of both Germany and Hong Kong, who is the chief technical officer, co-founder and director;
Andrus Nomm, 32, a citizen of Estonia and resident of both Turkey and Estonia, who is a software programmer and head of the development software division;
Bram van der Kolk, aka Bramos, 29, a Dutch citizen and resident of both the Netherlands and New Zealand, who oversees programming and the underlying network structure for the Mega conspiracy websites.

Dotcom, Batato, Ortmann and van der Kolk were arrested today in Auckland, New Zealand, by New Zealand authorities, who executed provisional arrest warrants requested by the United States. Bencko, Echternach and Nomm remain at large. Today, law enforcement also executed more than 20 search warrants in the United States and eight countries, seized approximately $50 million in assets and targeted sites where Megaupload has servers in Ashburn, Va., Washington, D.C., the Netherlands and Canada. In addition, the U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Va., ordered the seizure of 18 domain names associated with the alleged Mega conspiracy.

According to the indictment, for more than five years the conspiracy has operated websites that unlawfully reproduce and distribute infringing copies of copyrighted works, including movies – often before their theatrical release – music, television programs, electronic books, and business and entertainment software on a massive scale. The conspirators' content hosting site, Megaupload.com, is advertised as having more than one billion visits to the site, more than 150 million registered users, 50 million daily visitors and accounting for four percent of the total traffic on the Internet. The estimated harm caused by the conspiracy's criminal conduct to copyright holders is well in excess of $500 million. The conspirators allegedly earned more than $175 million in illegal profits through advertising revenue and selling premium memberships.

The indictment states that the conspirators conducted their illegal operation using a business model expressly designed to promote uploading of the most popular copyrighted works for many millions of users to download. The indictment alleges that the site was structured to discourage the vast majority of its users from using Megaupload for long-term or personal storage by automatically deleting content that was not regularly downloaded. The conspirators further allegedly offered a rewards program that would provide users with financial incentives to upload popular content and drive web traffic to the site, often through user-generated websites known as linking sites. The conspirators allegedly paid users whom they specifically knew uploaded infringing content and publicized their links to users throughout the world.

In addition, by actively supporting the use of third-party linking sites to publicize infringing content, the conspirators did not need to publicize such content on the Megaupload site. Instead, the indictment alleges that the conspirators manipulated the perception of content available on their servers by not providing a public search function on the Megaupload site and by not including popular infringing content on the publicly available lists of top content downloaded by its users.

As alleged in the indictment, the conspirators failed to terminate accounts of users with known copyright infringement, selectively complied with their obligations to remove copyrighted materials from their servers and deliberately misrepresented to copyright holders that they had removed infringing content. For example, when notified by a rights holder that a file contained infringing content, the indictment alleges that the conspirators would disable only a single link to the file, deliberately and deceptively leaving the infringing content in place to make it seamlessly available to millions of users to access through any one of the many duplicate links available for that file.

The indictment charges the defendants with conspiring to launder money by paying users through the sites' uploader reward program and paying companies to host the infringing content.

The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Virginia and the Computer Crime & Intellectual Property Section in the Justice Department's Criminal Division. The Criminal Division's Office of International Affairs, Organized Crime and Gang Section, and Asset Forfeiture and Money Laundering Section also assisted with this case.

The investigation was initiated and led by the FBI at the National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center (IPR Center), with assistance from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations. Substantial and critical assistance was provided by the New Zealand Police, the Organised and Financial Crime Agency of New Zealand (OFCANZ), the Crown Law Office of New Zealand and the Office of the Solicitor General for New Zealand; Hong Kong Customs and the Hong Kong Department of Justice; the Netherlands Police Agency and the Public Prosecutor's Office for Serious Fraud and Environmental Crime in Rotterdam; London's Metropolitan Police Service; Germany's Bundeskriminalamt and the German Public Prosecutors; and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police – Greater Toronto Area (GTA) Federal Enforcement Section and the Integrated Technological Crime Unit and the Canadian Department of Justice's International Assistance Group. Authorities in the United Kingdom, Australia and the Philippines also provided assistance.

This case is part of efforts being undertaken by the Department of Justice Task Force on Intellectual Property (IP Task Force) to stop the theft of intellectual property. Attorney General Eric Holder created the IP Task Force to combat the growing number of domestic and international intellectual property crimes, protect the health and safety of American consumers, and safeguard the nation's economic security against those who seek to profit illegally from American creativity, innovation and hard work. The IP Task Force seeks to strengthen intellectual property rights protection through heightened criminal and civil enforcement, greater coordination among federal, state and local law enforcement partners, and increased focus on international enforcement efforts, including reinforcing relationships with key foreign partners and U.S. industry leaders.

WHAT A COINCIDENCE.

Internet blackout protest followed by major copyright infringement bust!

It's like watching a major power play between two people at work. o__o

Wouldn't shock me. Humans are major dicks when things don't go their way.

Definition of IGNORANT

a : destitute of knowledge or education <an <em="">ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified
ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>

: unaware, uninformed

ig·no·rant·ly adverb
ig·no·rant·ness noun

"</an>Ignorance is a state of being uninformed."
SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorant

"Ignorance (or witlessness) is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult. Ignoramus is commonly used in the US, the UK, and Ireland as a name of someone who is willfully ignorant. Ignorance is distinguished from stupidity, although both can lead to "unwise" acts.
Writer Thomas Pynchon articulated about the scope and structure of one's ignorance: "Ignorance is not just a blank space on a person's mental map. It has contours and coherence, and for all I know rules of operation as well. So as a corollary to [the advice of] writing about what we know, maybe we should add getting familiar with our ignorance, and the possibilities therein for writing a good story."[2]
Ignorance rooting from ignoring is a selective state of unawareness.[3]

The legal principle that ignorantia juris non excusat, literally "ignorance of the law is no excuse", stands for the proposition that the law applies also to those who are unaware of it."
SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorance

<an <em="">You're born ignorant. Everyone is. Ignorance isn't a choice. It's a default state when someone doesn't know something. Ignorant is not an insult or a bad thing. It's simply a lack of knowledge. Arrogance about ignorance, however, is not good.
You are taking this to a whole nother level. We are talking about news channels prioritizing news that could be considered ignorant compared to events that really matters. What you are talking about here reminds me more of Socrates' view "</an> the idea that knowledge is a matter of recollection, and not of learning, observation, or study." Again, this is not what we are discussing.
<an <em="">
</an>
<an <em="">Don't just assume that all American's are unwilling to learn things. That's one stereotype that I'm sick of hearing. Ignorance may be an abundance but there are plenty willing to learn. My mother the other day was asking me why google was blacked out and about SOPA. She's not the most well informed and that's fine. Ignorance is simply a basic state. EDUCATE and perhaps people will become not ignorant. Educate, don't throw names at each other.</an>
Where do I say that unwillingness to learn has anything to do with people of American nationality?
People are not ignorant, an ignorant enviorment breeds ignorant mindsets and communities.
I am talking about what happens to be the landscape of news media in the american mainstream. A news channels objective(should be) is to INFORM ACTUAL FACTS of IMPORTANCE and EDUCATE people. What you tell me here about your mother says that it is not in the interest of whatever news outlet she follows to INFORM her and EDUCATE her about Google's reason to protest in the form of a blackout against the SOPA bill. Who am I throwing names at?

If you're against a news network, do something. Boycott their company and refuse to buy their products. Do research.

I do, I check with other sources to educate myself(research?). I am in no position to go on a "crusade" against these news networks. I don't have that kind of knowledge at the age of 21. I don't even have direct access to any of these networks that I am questioning, my daily news networks work(from what I understand) very differently from these major networks in america. The only boycotting I could do is by simply ignoring any second hand reports about these news channels, which would really just make me very ignorant on the subject and therefore be counter-productive. I believe in doing research on things I don't support, because it is very important for me to know who my "enemy" is.

The insulting Americans was actually more general towards the thread, sorry I specifically put it to you. I'm not saying you're uneducated or anything, when I said research I meant research products if you don't want to support them. A lot of these companies end up being owned by these news outlets. It is a shame how terrible our news is, but I just wanted to say it's not the only thing that's giving news to the US. I wasn't going for anything close to Socrates, but rather more that you're born lacking knowledge. Simple as that.

Also, it's terribly ridiculous with what happened to megaupload.

WHAT A COINCIDENCE.

Internet blackout protest followed by major copyright infringement bust!

It's like watching a major power play between two people at work. o__o

I'm pretty sure they planned this from the start in an attempt to sway public opinion. I'm even willing to bet the Justice Department coached reporters when it comes to terms they should use to describe the operation and it's eventual conclusion. The article pasted above is composed in such a way that conjures images of a major terrorist operation being taken down, with great fanfare.

MegaUpload did a lot of work to try and remove copyrighted works from their page, but the copyright holders had to contact them first to make the company aware of the problem. Seems the RIAA and MPAA didn't exactly like having to do that.

We have a silent war going on at the US-Mexico border, alleged "real" terrorist plots being formed, and organized crime syndicates (the Russian mob is making huge headway in this country in recent years) still run deep in many major US cities. Yet the FBI is running around the world tracking down digital pirates? What the absolute fuck is wrong with these people? I'm not saying that MegaUpload is innocent in all of this, but they did strive to do right. What I'm saying is that our tax money is being pissed away because a couple of large media conglomerates wish it to be so.

WASHINGTON – Seven individuals and two corporations have been charged in the United States with running an international organized criminal enterprise allegedly responsible for massive worldwide online piracy of numerous types of copyrighted works, through Megaupload.com and other related sites, generating more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and causing more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners, the U.S. Justice Department and FBI announced today.<----

Isabellas don't understand how they get those numbers.. most people pirate because they can't afford to buy stuff any way... So are they really losing that much money? You can't lose money that never really existed in the first place can you?