Favourite Zelda Games

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Minibit, Jan 21, 2016.

?

Well?

1. Legend of Zelda

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Legend of Zelda: Adventure of Link

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  6. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  7. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Legend of Zelda: Four Swords

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  11. Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  13. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  14. Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  17. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  18. Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. While I haven't played ALL of them yet, I have played my fair share of one of my favourite game franchises!

I love the series too much to only talk about one, so here's my top three!

#1: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    This is so close to tied with Ocarina of Time, you guys have no idea. But I'll get to OOT's merits in a second. TPP is just. . .
    I think there was a special Nintendo magazine about Zelda, and they described how when designing TPP, their task was to top OOT. so (paraphrase) "How do you top the best zelda game of all time? Simple, you make the best videogame of all time." Now I think "best videogame of all time" is kind of an overstatement, especially considering there are other games I like as much or more for different reasons and in different contexts, but TPP is - even outside of the series - an AMAZING game. It's visually stunning, th gameplay is smooth and intuitive (I played the GC version; not a fan of wii controls), the story is in-depth, dramatic, and suspenseful. The characters have depth and personality and the world was fleshed out, expended, and developed like never before. We also got all kinds of shiny new toys to play with in terms of items, side quests, and minigames! Oh it was gorgeous; it never runs out of replay value, and it's one of very very few games that is completely without a dreaded part (you know, when you're having fun in a game and then you're like "oh right, THIS part.")

#2: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    You guys, this was my first zelda game. Most of the reason it's not number one is that if I'm being objective, I realise that I'm giving OOT an unfair advantage due to sentiment. If we hadn't got the GC when it was new and included the Zelda collectors disk, I wouldn't have had ANY single player games, and certainly none with magic and monster-killing in them. In a way, I thank this game (and the clerk who sold my mom on getting it included!) for my becoming the fantasy-loving nerd that I am now. But I digress. As a game, objectively, OOT is still gorgeous. It was revolutionary in its series, bringing Zelda into 3D and giving us our first taste of Link as an adult in a grittier universe. It had a huge map and story for its time, and introduced lots of new characters and items to play with. It also set a lovely stage for Majora's Mask, which holds the #1 or #2 slot for a lot of fans - and for good reason. However you'll notice I had to preface most of those with 'in its time'. OOT has aged, and while it's aged well as a classic game, it doesn't quite hold up next to the newer and shinier installments. It's still a great game and will always hold a special place in my heart though <3

#3: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    I fucking love Wind Waker. I do! Even with the longass sailing portions; I love the ocean music and watching Link sail across the scene, cutting the waves with the ship's bow. I love all the characters, I actually enjoy the smooth, 'clean' look of the cell-shaded graphics. My favourite design for the Great Fairy is in this game, and I love the way the game ties this 'future setting' installment to the games before it, it's storytelling is gorgeous.

What about you guys? Which games do you love? Why? Are you able to rank them, or do you love them all pretty much the same in different ways?

GUSH TO ME, LET'S BE ZELDA NERDS TOGETHER

#1 Minibit, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. Link to the past! All-time favorite Zelda game ever. :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Orcarina of Time, because it's the only one I've played.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #1 Majora's Mask: It's dark, it's fun, it's beautiful.
    #2 OoT: Because it's the concept of Zelda 2 but in 3D (a focus on swordplay which was what they wanted)
    #3 Twilight Princess: It's OoT mixed with Majora's Mask pretty much. Dark but heavily swordplay based. also the weapons are pretty sweet.

• Love Love x 1
  5. You should play Majora's Mask! It's more or less a sequel, and runs with the same mechanics

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well, technically I've played that too.
    For like an hour or so.

But the Moon killing me so quickly confused the hell out of me.

7. Link's Awakening, because it was my first Zelda. Ocarina of Time because... I don't know, actually. It just stands out. And Twilight Princess, because that game had some of the best aesthetics I've ever seen in Zelda.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeah, the three-days mechanic is what keeps it off of my top three. it takes some getting used to

Basically you have three game-days to either complete a dungeon or complete one of the sub-quests (a great majority of the sub-quests are like mini-games, you get rupees, pieces of heart, etc. But some of them are plot-necessary and move the story forward, or get you a key item). Then you've got to reset time and start again
    Dungeon progress is saved, most other progress is not. like, if you convince a character to evacuate, and then you reset time, you'll have to convince them all over again, but if you clear a dungeon or get a key item / learn an ocarina song and then reset time, you'll still have it. Some quests require access to many different areas and use of many different items, and require several game resets to go through. Sometimes you discover/collect sort of 'shortcuts' that can help you get through a quest faster.... I could go on.

It's easier to learn by trial and error/experience than to try and memorize a list of the things you can accomplish in three days, the things that save and the things that don't :/

again, the complexity is what keeps it from being one of my top three, bu the story, dark themes, creative style, great characters (I love Tatl!) and design put it at a close #4!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Twilight Princess is my all-time favorite. I loved the tone, I loved the art style, the characters were fantastic, and I legit had nightmares about Zant's mask after playing the Twilight Realm stage because of those floating masks; it really is a fucking creepy design. The music, I think, is by far the best in the series and I am totally getting the remake. Honestly, this is the quintessential Zelda experience for me, and it's always going to be one of my all time favorite games.

Majora's Mask is my runner up. It's not as long as Ocarina of Time, but I love how it all meshes together and the 3 day cycle gives the game so many layers and you're always discovering new things. It's also another game that has great themes, and I think growing up, a lot of us faced similar feelings of abandonment and anger that makes Skull Kid relatable. I loved the different mask mechanics and the feeling of discovery is still a series highlight. I actually kind of liked that there were only 4 major dungeons, it made the game a lot more digestible, I think. Although, fuck finding all those fairies. That was a pain in the ass.

I really like Four Swords Adventures, even though I only beat it once and by myself on the Game Cube controller. It's a fun romp with excellent 2D Zelda game play and I really liked the item-based puzzles in this game. It was always fun for me having to swap out items and figuring out how to progress. The 4 Links in formation made the game kind of a hoot, too; there's nothing like making a line with a bunch of flame rods and launching firey death like a firing squad. I didn't feel anything for the story and characters, but I don't think that's the point. It was meant to be a fun multiplayer game that was about the gameplay and throwing ridiculous things at you.

• Love Love x 1
  10. Technically it is a direct sequel. It's the same engine actually which was why it really didn't take them much time to port MM (they just wanted an original before they ported an older game again)

• Like Like x 1
  11. It'd probably be fine if I tried it again today, but when I last played it I was a little kid... XD

Also, considering you beat it.
    What do you think of the idea that the Game is about Link dying?

12. Oh mygod I love it! But we're starting to get a little off-topic (my fault!); I'd be happy to go on about my thoughts on the 'link is dead' theory and other game theories in a new thread!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Majora's Mask for it's really great atmosphere. This is how-to do immersive worlds. The effect you have on it feels so great. Also the masks help out making a lot of the gameplay feel more varied. It just oozes personality, more than making up for it's dated gameplay.

A Link Between Worlds is basically people remaking A Link to the Past but better. It really feels like they applied all the lessons learned from topdown titles and fixed everything while also adding it's own unique flavours. It's a bit short and a few more sidequests woulda been welcome, but everything else is designed so neatly and tightly it hardly matters. I don't think it gets the hype it deserves and if you liked any topdown Zelda you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. My top three are, in order:

1. Majora's Mask
    2. Wind Waker
    3. Twilight Princess
    I'm really looking forward to Twilight Princess HD, btw, especially since my copy of the Wii version is no longer functional

• Like Like x 1
  15. A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game hands down, and I also list it as my favorite game of all time. It's a nearly flawless game in my opinion, and the flaws are easily smoothed over with a liberal coating of nostalgia.

Ocarina of Time takes the #2 spot for me. It's more or less equal to Majora's Mask, but I like the young Link and old Link time shenanigans better than the three day limit and masks mechanics.

Majora's Mask is #3.

I've played most of the others, but none of them very strongly compete with OoT or MM in my opinion, never mind striking for first place, so it was an easy choice for me.

16. My top 3:

1. Twilight Princess

2. Twilight Princess

3. Twilight Princess

• Love Love x 1
    • You Get a Cookie You Get a Cookie x 1
  17. It helps if you know the song that makes time move a lot slower, every three day cycle gets a lot easier to handle after that. .3.

• Like Like x 1
  18. - Ocarina of Time
    - Wind Waker
    - Twilight Princess

19. WindWaker.

Maximum comfy. Beautiful graphics (even then). Light-hearted story with a nice chunk of development for Ganondorf. Music too.

• Love Love x 1
  20. 1. Twilight Princess - First and foremost, the aesthetics of that game were amazing. I played both the Wii and the GameCube versions, and the GC version was definitely superior in terms of controls. I loved the Hidden Skills, I loved the Twilight theme, Midna is by far my favorite companion, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Zant fight and Ganondorf battles. Some parts were frustrating (flying through the cave on the back of that damned Twili bird thing) but other parts were just incredibly fun, like the Goron sumo wrestling, which I wish they did way more with. I even loved the Cave of Ordeals as a fun mid- to end-game challenge. I started out hating Midna because, c'mon, she was a total bitch, but as the story progressed, she grew on me, as she learned not all of the being of Light are terrible. While Link as a protagonist doesn't often grow as a person (barring Ocarina of Time, since he literally grows), Midna was as much a protagonist, and she had true character development, to the point that when Zant hurt her and you had to take her to Princess Zelda, I genuinely felt bad for Midna and made my way as fast as possible to Hyrule Castle. I am gonna be super excited for the remake, and I hope they do with it what they did with Wind Waker HD, and add some nice bonus stuff.

WARNING - SOME SPOILERS FOR SKYWARD SWORD BELOW. I tagged them as such, but warning nonetheless.

2. Skyward Sword - Yes, I know the controls were a bit wonky. Yes, Fi would get repetitive, but despite that, I honestly loved Skyward Sword. Fi was (barring her eternally bothering us with gameplay mechanic stuff) a really cool companion. I mean, she is the Master Sword. I thought Ghirahim was an interesting antagonist, and I thought it was hella cool when it turns out he is to Demise what Fi is to you. I loved flying on the back of your Loftwing, but do wish they had way more stuff to get to. The game's aesthetics was amazing, and I definitely loved the watercolor-style visuals. I loved the story of the game as well, a Goddess who was reborn as Zelda, even alluding that each future Zelda would be a reincarnation of this Goddess. I enjoyed the tie in to Ganondorf, and how Demise would also be reborn as a mortal to forever be the enemy to the Goddesses chosen Hero, Link, and a Goddess' reincarnation herself, Zelda. I enjoyed seeing what was basically the creation story of the Master Sword, the weapon that basically represents our protagonist, Link. We saw the first Hero chosen by the Goddesses create the Blade of Evil's Bane, and use it to defeat what basically amounted to a god. The last fight was a bit lackluster (lightning bolt charged sword aside) and sincerely wished it was a harder fight. Maybe varied, a-la Ganondorf's fight in Twilight Princess. But that was sort of Ghirahim's final fight was, though I did also find it lackluster. All-in-all, I love Skyward Sword as a game, even with it's flaws.

END SKYWARD SWORD SPOILERS.

3. Ocarina of Time - Honestly, it was between OoT and Wind Waker. Buuuut I liked OoT a bit more, I suppose. Not much to say here. OoT was the first 3D Zelda game. We got Navi, who was an okay companion with arguably the best combat use (except for Midna's of course) with her helping you out with weaknesses. Young Link finds the Great Deku Tree has been cursed, attempts to save him, but is told the Deku Tree was testing his courage, and that he was doomed from the start. From there, Link meets young Princess Zelda, is told to find the two other Spiritual Stones, and, upon doing so and saving both the Zora and Goron, is given the Ocarina of Time (adios, Fairy Ocarina) by Princess Zelda as she and Impa flee Ganondorf, who has usurped the throne. One of my favorite game mechanics in OoT was, I must say, the major one, of getting to change between Young and Adult Link. The time paradox of getting the Song of Storms, going into the Spirit Temple as a kid and adult to complete the dungeon, it was all super fun. I don't have much more to say here, except it was a memorable game, and I loved it very much.

EDIT: Formatting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.