Favourite Old Video Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NES Double Dragon the first game I owned, still one of my favourite games today.

Reactions: Jade
Okay, I understand why these are the "classics"... But can we already move past this to start including things like PSone games into it. Games such as FF7 and such are already TWENTY years old since original release. Excuse me, but that is a classic, even if its not 8-bit ; P

That said, my favorite classic is FF9, in that case.

Okay, I understand why these are the "classics"... But can we already move past this to start including things like PSone games into it. Games such as FF7 and such are already TWENTY years old since original release. Excuse me, but that is a classic, even if its not 8-bit ; P

That said, my favorite classic is FF9, in that case.
I thing there's a huge loop between old games like SNES and MegaDrive and the PSX generation, today we have awesome games like tekken 7 that are still pretty much tekken 2 or 3 buffed up to the maximum, doesn't compare to the limits you had in SNES...

That said I still play my PS2 if you want to consider classics any games older than 10 years old there are plenty of those I am still finishing XD

Kudos for FF9, I loved it, the ability learning system was awesome, at the end I could beat final boss with auto evade and counters without touching the controller XD (true story, my mum called me and I thought I paused the game but i didn't when I arrived back I had won the game XD)
But I didn't like the story or main character till I was very close to the end, in FF8 for example I fell in love with characters right away.

This game...

37056-Jumping_Flash!_[NTSC-U]-2.jpg

If we're including games that are old but not suuuuper old I have a few~~
myst-box-art.jpg

Myst: 1993
Grew up playing this with my whole family gathered around the computer, working on the puzzles together. One of the happiest memories I have.

Age_of_Empires_Coverart.jpg

Age of Empires 1: 1997
My first real computer game, I fell in love with this whole series (or, I-III that is), and Sundays were LAN battles with my dad. The day I finally managed to beat him, after hours of practice, was a proud day for me.

Baldur's_Gate_box.PNG

Baldur's Gate: 1998
My first experience with an RPG. I never beat it, and would love to return to it and play it again some day.

My mother wasn't a fan of gaming and I was never allowed to own a DS or any console, nor was I allowed to play card games like Pokemon or Magic. However, in the half hour of allotted game time I was allowed each day on our clunky PC I got a taste of gaming, and now I have a nice steam library and a love for games that I doubt will ever go away.
This thread brought back lots of good memories!~

Reactions: Razilin
I thing there's a huge loop between old games like SNES and MegaDrive and the PSX generation, today we have awesome games like tekken 7 that are still pretty much tekken 2 or 3 buffed up to the maximum, doesn't compare to the limits you had in SNES...

That said I still play my PS2 if you want to consider classics any games older than 10 years old there are plenty of those I am still finishing XD

Kudos for FF9, I loved it, the ability learning system was awesome, at the end I could beat final boss with auto evade and counters without touching the controller XD (true story, my mum called me and I thought I paused the game but i didn't when I arrived back I had won the game XD)
But I didn't like the story or main character till I was very close to the end, in FF8 for example I fell in love with characters right away.
Really? Cuz I loved most of the characters soon after their intro in 9 o.o Zidane is one of my favorite protags especially in a JRPG. He's just the definition of the dashing rogue and he's just such an goof and so cheeky. The very playfulness of the character and how they play off one another is just so great! Not just that, but the light scenary of much of the game and the world is amazeballs to me! Its actually one of my favorite games of all times and probably has influenced much of my writing in general.

In my opinion, Zidane didn't seem to have much of a personality from the start, he seemed like the guy in charge but he was more like being bounced around the events that were happening...
I loved the story, the world and some of the other chars, I think that till you learn the whole thing about Kuja later in the game it seemed as if Garnet is the main character and Zidane is just the guy is just a random thug who tried to kidnap her and became her friend...
Also, I love the design of Amarant but he was just like a random guy who had some grudge with Zidane? Sorta same thing between Freya and Steiner?

But I really loved the gameplay the mechanics with each char being unique and having a different skill sent, the abilities associated with learning and armour, it was all really great...

Also I only played the game once, maybe Zidane was just not my character, maybe I was expecting a less Chibi style since I was comming from FF8, maybe if I'd play the game again I'd love it like you did XD
I mean, I did love the game, it's just I spent most of the game really thinking Zidane was a bit of a weak character, and then near the end my whole opinion changed and I fell in love with every character... but I really can't recall the whole story that well. To bad I no longer have a PSX to experience it again.

I was never good at it, but I liked it:

wipeout-usa.jpg

Baldurs Gate 1, 2, Tales of the Sword Coast and Throne of Bhaal

Planescape: Torment

FF6

FF7

Chrono Trigger

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time

Breath of Fire 2

Metal Gear Solid series

Ace Combat Zero

Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Return to Zork

Star craft

Warcraft 3

If it matters, I actually had Earthbound.
I didn't know how rare it apparently was, but I wouldn't stop playing it, and like an idiot, I didn't pay attention to the entire plot and like an idiot I lost it during my first move. Not that I cared at the time.

So there's a free copy of earthbound lying about somewhere. Or was, dunno.
I'm willing to buy it again from somewhere that doesn't cause me to go broke, and eventually dust off my SNES just to actually pay attention to what I was having so much fun doing, but still.

And if it counts Pokemon Diamond came out in 2006, which technically makes that old now, It's probably my second favorite of the games.
Love it.
Lost that one too.
So there's a free copy of Pokemon Diamond lying about, or taken.

I also liked Parasite Eve.
Had a Resident Evil feel to it, but you know it was by Squeenix.
I still have this one. Luckily. And if I get to it, I'll even stream it.

Dare I say it.
@Razilin Psst.
I mean, Berserk.
It's what began my love for it, man.
Clunky as hell but who cares, it's still fucking awesome.
Ps2 era too, so it counts. I had the Japanese version, since there is no english version. Could not understand it. Loved every hour of it.
Though there was one part I remember hating the piss out of, even if I can't really remember what that part was...
I'll probably remember if I take my Ps2 back out, but then I won't stop playing this.

I didn't learn that the manga existed until 2012 thanks to Dragon's Dogma, I recommend it..

But if we wanna go ancient my parents had a Atari with that wood finish sticker.
It's mine now.
And "ADVENTURE" is pretty fricking hardcore for what it's worth.

I had an old Superman game on Atari I used to enjoy a lot. But even then, that game has confused me for over a decade.

The original Doom was fun too.

Age of Empires, Myst (even though I was garbage at it, which was understandable considering my age), and...

50a963ce6115d.png

I was absolutely obsessed with Commander Keen when I was little (like, 6 or so).

Reactions: Jade
Some of my fave first-person games that aren't necessarily shooters:
640full-thief-ii%3A-the-metal-age-cover.jpg

latest

System-shock-box-cover.jpg

1223548022-00.jpg

System Shock 2's free if you go claim your copy on GoG Galaxy, seriously go get it.
Also some of my favorite adventures:
Sam_-_Max_Hit_the_Road_-_1993_-_LucasArts_-_Lucasfilm.jpg

71501-the-longest-journey-windows-front-cover.jpg

I received my first video game console in 1993 for Christmas, along with three games. One was the video game adaptation of the movie Hook. Another was the third TMNT game: Turtles in Time.

Finally, the best out of the bunch, and the game I still call my favorite game of all time, was the Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past.

Other favorites from the SNES were:

Starfox

MK 1, 2, 3 & Ultimate

Super Street Fighter Turbo 2

Mario Paint

Super Mario Allstars

Tetris/Doctor Mario

Contra

Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 & 3

Sunset Riders

Rampart​

Last edited: