Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Agender
  5. Primarily Prefer Male
  6. No Preferences
Genres
Adventure. Angels and demons. Apocalyptic. Arthurian. Comedy. Dystopian. Fantasy. Historical. Horror. Post-apocalyptic. Romance. Science fiction. Supernatural.
Whether you care about them a great deal or not at all surely a line or two has had to have stood out. What are some of your favourite lyrics? Ones so poignant or clever that you took special notice of them. What are some you'll never grow tired of?

I'd like to preface this response with a clarification that I'm not religious, and I don't care to push religion either. However, this song is inherently christian in nature.

A good friend of mine who is a devout christian showed me this band he liked, and message or no, I like their sound. More specifically, he showed me this one song that reminded him a whole lot of me. This was years ago, probably 4 now. We'd known each other for maybe a year at this point, and I was... at a really low point in my life when I met him. I felt like my heart and soul were just crushed, and I was operating on autopilot for damn near a year. Nothing was enjoyable, I woke up every day wondering why I was still doing everything normally, and just decided it was "because I must". Anyway, I met him through work, and he was just... this good soul. He listened, and while we had different outlooks on life and different reasons for why we think what we do, talking philosophy and other stuff with him was just nice.

Anyway, where was I? The song. I'll just link it, but you don't have to listen if that's not your cup of tea. Even today I think it sounds good and I still feel something when I hear those lyrics.

Without those bricks on my back, who would I be?

I'll be honest, when I first heard it, I actually wept. When I first listened to the song, when it was put on, I just had this sorta... "Ah, ok..." reaction, like, when your friend puts on something you feel you probably won't care for but you don't wanna be rude.

But I wept. It was the first time in nearly a year I let myself feel like that. Those words alone were enough to get through the wall I'd put up. I was just so tired at that time, and I'd constantly been talking about the negatives in my life, explaining how they defined my philosophies on life. My pain, and the weight I carried all the time was something I was letting define me every day.

Maybe it's obvious to an outsider, but I felt like he really knew me. It's a little thing but it felt like a defining moment. My opinions on religion haven't changed, even if I gave it a shot for a small portion of time there, but nowadays I try harder not to let my experiences define me in a negative way.

Even if you hurt, even if you feel like you can never forgive, sometimes it can really go a long way. Find the strength in yourself to do that, because life is too short to let those things define you every day. Sometimes the strength to pretend everything is alright even when it's not isn't what you need. It's OK to be weak. You can forgive yourself too. Everyone is human. You don't have to let those bricks weigh you down, you can make that choice. You don't need to forget your pain, but you can still accept it and move on. Everybody faces difficult times in their life, sometimes those are harder for some than others, but you can still love your fate.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Dusk and firejay1
Wow uhm I'd be very terrible at picking any one bc my memory for songs kinda sucks, and while I know I've had that experience, when you ask, my mind goes blank, but I guess with some scrounging, I'd say I always really liked, "And the waitress is practicing politics while the businessmen slowly get stoned, and they're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinking alone." There's also "2am and I'm still awake writing a song, if I get it all down on paper it's no longer inside of me threatening the life it belongs to." And "how do you write like you're running out of time?" I guess I just like lyrics that I either think were pretty clever or touch me personally... though I suppose that's everyone.

A really great specific example, now that I'm thinking of it, is from Obsessions by Marina and the Diamonds. There's a part where she goes, "Supermarket oh what packet of crackers to pick? They're all the same one brand one name but really they're not. Look, look, just choose something quick, people are staring, time to go quick, and skin is on fire, must choose something something something. Pressure overwhelming, next minute I am turning out of the door facing a week without food. A day, a day, when things things are pretty bad, but don't let it make you feel sad, the crackers were probably bad luck anyways." And I don't really know if it's all that common to immediately relate to those words, but that whole section the first time I heard it and every time since just hits me hard, because I have been at that place emotionally again and again in pretty much any circumstance I've been asked to answer a question or pick something on short notice. Just that sense of anxiety bc the options really shouldn't matter all that much, but they just DO, and the longer I delay my response, the person expecting the answer or decision is just gonna stand there waiting and driving my anxiety levels up the wall, and some days I can get through that and it's fine, and some days I just have a bad day, and it's suddenly just too much, and on those days, I just have to mentally salvage what I can from the humiliation and nervousness I just experienced even if I basically have to lie to myself, bc letting myself focusing on how it felt just isn't a healthy option I can entertain. Now that I'm in my late twenties, I've learned how to mitigate that sort of reaction to literally like. Ordering food at a restaurant. Lololol. But it's definitely a thing I'm very familiar with, and that perfect illustration of it in music was almost chilling when I first heard it.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Dusk
I am only going to choose one song. More recently Taylor Swift's Anti-Hero. don't judge me

It's me, hi
I'm the problem, it's me
At teatime, everybody agrees
I'll stare directly at the sun,
But never in the mirror
It must be exhausting
Always rooting for the anti-hero

I am not good at explaining things but yes, these are my favorite lyrics right now.

I could never pick just a few lyrics to count as my favourite, but here are some current standouts.

"Pour another round of whatever you like
Here's to the end, here's to the fight"
&
"Papa don't preach but he sure does lie
Twisting that knife like a radio dial"
Suicide Romantics by Des Rocs

"Taking apart all your limbs
Til there's nothing left but pieces
Tell me you know what you're doing
That you know how to fix this

Careful, you're wasting away
And now everyone's suspicious
Paying the price of the pain
Now there's nothing left but pieces"
Pieces by Des Rocs

"Death, suits you dear sir
Like a beautiful coat but then without all the fur"
Cigar by Tamino

"Perfect eyes and peasant feet
Brazilian iris, with petals
Dark and sweet
New apostles, perennial and young
Like a new religion, like fire on my tongue"
Brazilian Iris by Faded Paper Figures

Ah~ lyrics. I don't usually come to like a song for the lyrics first. It's the composition that pulls me in, and as I listen on repeat, I learn the lyrics. Then I decide if they're too egregious for me to tolerate and whether or not I will continue to listen to the song. So, as for my favorite lyrics, they're ones I especially relate to.

On the whole, I like Bastille's Pompeii. While the context is that of a relationship between people, I find it applies well to my relationship with life in general. "How am I gonna be an optimist about this?" Gold.

BTS's Blue & Gray. About sums up the past three to four years of my life and my quite long battle with depression. "I just want to be happier." Hits me in the feels.

Again, BTS, but this time Life Goes On. Just the whole song is a reminder that, while things may suck, life will go on and things will get better. It's a nice listen when I'm feeling especially down.

There is a Twenty One Pilots song called Lane Boy, and in it are these words, "Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless"
When I *really* listened to that song and that line closely, I was like whoa, deep. Additionally, I was like 'this song happens to be perfect, so do I not trust you and this song, wtf is this sorcery :mindblowing:'

One more I will mention is from a Wicca Phase Springs Eternal song called Contact,

"I'm going back to bed,
I'm going back to the water
I feel more pain than I mention"

Just very resonate-y and a real HashtagMood vibe. Sometimes you get so tired of things and wanna just retire into your underwater eldritch summer home, nah mean jelly bean?