Favourite flower

L

Lady B

Original poster
I love flowers. If I could, I might just stare at them for the rest of my life o__o

My absolute favourite though, is the Dahlia.
cb22cfe5e937b1d862528c125b7bfca9.jpg

dahlia.jpg

dahlia_care.jpg

Where-Does-the-Exquisite-Black-Dahlia-Gets-Its-Color-From-2.jpg

It comes in many different shapes, sizes and colours, all equal in beauty. And apparently, in the language of flowers, the Dahlia is a symbol of a commitment and bond that lasts forever, and is popular in flower arrangements for weddings to celebrate love and marriage. When given as a gift, it's to express sentiments of dignity and elegance.

So, if you've got a favourite flower, tell us about it! Is it because of how it looks, how it smells, because of its symbolism, or perhaps a fond memory associated with it? And of course, we want to see pictures! >:3

r4556.jpeg

Tulips. Because I'm a history nut, and a Canadian. "What?" Back in World War II, Canada sheltered the Dutch royal family after Nazi Germany occupied the Netherlands. One of the main forces sent to liberate the occupied Netherlands and Belgium were Canadian forces, thousands died in what eventually became a successful liberation attempt. From 1945 onwards, as thanks, the Netherlands has sent 20,000 tulips to Canada every year, as a symbolic gesture of our amicable relationships, and as a reminder that we will die for each other's freedom, if necessary.

There is just something utterly humbling about walking in a field of tulips and realizing that every single one represents a man who was born, grew up, fell in love, had parents, friends, hobbies, and dreams... And who died to liberate a foreign country that was once an enemy of the motherland. Every. Single. One. Like tomb stones, but colourful, almost as though to remind me and others that the people who died deserved to live just as much as I do, or really, just as much as anyone does... And who paid the ultimate price to ensure that for someone they never even met.

I like marigolds and sweet pea!

Reactions: Lady B
77704-Basket-Of-Lilacs.jpg

Lilacs delight me visually and their scent just thrills me. I grew up with bushes of the white ones but always envied the people with the big-fat purple ones.

I JUST LOVE FLOWERS.

It's really hard for me to choose my favorites. .__.; But here is a list!

ROSES
150+-+Copy.JPG

GARDENIA
Gardenia-beauty.jpg

LILLIES
20030806-lily-stargazer-2.jpg

TULIPS
pink_purple_tulips.jpg

MAGNOLIAS
magnolia5.jpg

MIMOSA
mimosa-flower.jpg

The beautiful red rose...

Small_Red_Rose.JPG

Yes, I am really that cliche.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
abstract-background-white-roses-flowers-close-up-44381354.jpg

Because I love how they smell

26514-Pink-Tulips.jpg

Because they're so pretty! <3

3039962-md.jpg

And Paper roses, which aren't really flowers, but my kids make them for me every Mother's day. <3

Reactions: The Ghost Note
Poppies! because of the opium
I really love how beautiful they are and how simple the flowers are as well. Poppy seed muffins are good too.

I love the "meaning" behind the water lotus. How something so gorgeous can spring up from a stagnant swamp, representing how amazing things can come from the most unlikely conditions.

Lotus_on_GreenWater_8.jpg

However, my favourite flower is the forget-me-not.
forget-me-not-13a.jpg

**Note that these flowers are dyed and don't actually grow this color naturally.
perennial_m_helleborus_x_hybridus_winter_jewel_black_diamond.jpg

tied for first in my heart with

**These flowers, on the other hand, DO grow this color straight from the seed. I plant them every year. :)
nemophila-discoidalis-penny-black-ojeblomst.jpg

Lavender because it's the only flower I don't hate the smell of

(I hate the smell of flowers for some odd reason)

60256-Red-Carnations.jpg

Red carnations. c: They're simple, cute, and my favorite color. Three qualities that always catch my eye.

I love fruit blossoms - particularly cherry and peach. They're just so dainty and perfect, like they were just meant for the canvas. Plus, they make the trees really pretty, and when it gets really windy, it's like it's snowing...Yeah, I really like blossoms.

286342_65289f6dc208d1797d3e0cd4f8f19660_large.jpg

Cherry_Blossom_by_HappilyInsane.jpg

After that comes narcissus/daffodils (they're so particular), tiger lilies (striking, those), and then dandelions (they're so tough - you've got to respect them. Plus, they're so fun to scatter). Also carnations, and orchids. But I'm sure you don't want pictures of all of those.

I rather like flowers, too, in case it wasn't obvious :3