Favorite video games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rainjay

Original poster
Honestly if I had to state a favorite game I'd say Minecraft, but I've recently picked up Dragon Age Origins and am pretty addicted (despite the dreaded Wikipedia disease; I tend to open it up for ONE question and then I read the entire questline and end up no longer wanting to play the game because I'm a completionist and just read about 500 ways I messed up my playthrough), although not enough to say it's my favorite. And then I had my Final Fantasy phase (never finished any of the games. Only played a few, but I always get to the end when there's like 5 bosses to kill and just can't bother to do it!), and before that as a kid, I loved Virtual Villagers RTS games.

So what's your favorite games and why?

(Maybe I'll find some new cool games to play)

I'm so casual that my favorite is Lego Star Wars just because it's Star Wars dude. However, Shrek 2 will always be the top, as of now.

Reactions: iMisterH
Baldur's Gate

Star Wars: KoToR 1 & 2

Reactions: Razilin
Reactions: Windsong
MetroidPrimebox.jpg

I have a bunch of favorites, but I can conclusively say that the Last of Us is number one.
The gameplay, storytelling, pace, everything about that game is perfect. I cannot think of a single thing about the game I dislike. If I thought really hard maybe I could come up with something that kind of annoyed me, but that's not a subject worth thinking about, is it?
Even its few glitches are harmless and usually hilarious.
Case in point:

An easy second is Transistor. While short, it has amazing replayability, incredible depth and customizability, top-notch writing, absolutely beautiful art, and a deep and complex story.

After those two, I can't decide on an order, but all of these games are on my list:
Final Fantasy VI (Best Final Fantasy game, by far, and I'm a jrpg guy).
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Despite the boss fights, it's an excellent combination of stealth, RPG, and shooter, and I adore cyberpunk).
Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies / Flying Fairy (Even with the filler chapters, the battle mechanics are stellar and it has a ton of replayability).
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Only the PC version, though; the game has such a huge modding scene and that's my favorite part).
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (D20 system. Written by Drew Karpyhsyn. That's enough said).
Mass Effect 2 (See above about Drew Karpyshyn).
Fire Emblem Awakening/Radiant Dawn (I love Fire Emblem but I can't decide between these two as my favorite in the series).
Borderlands 2: (Gaige/10)
Bioshock Infinite ([insert blurb about story and how great of a character Elizabeth is])

Reactions: Kairia
I'm a fan of Open World/RPG style games.

My top three favorites are:

Oblivion: The story line is phenomenal in my opinion. I love everything about it. The quirky and goofy NPC' s always make me grin. I love all the quests in Oblivion, especially the Dark Brotherhood quests. It's my over-all favorite game.

Fallout 3: Oh my gosh, I also love this game. Not as much as Oblivion of course, but I still love it. I love the apocalyptic feel to it. It can also get pretty intense at times, which I LOVE.

Monster Hunter Tri: Ahh Capcom, thank you for making this game. Thank you for all the times I screamed and threw tantrums because I failed the quest too many times. Despite me raging EVERY time I play this game, I still love it. All the monsters are challenging, and over-all, look really awesome.

Reactions: Kairia
Also, I'm currently having an absolute blast playing this gem. A 4X strategy game in the same vein as the Civilization series that just does things better.

Dk5q9ME.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Skyswimsky
wow no one mentioned this yet?
th

• Love
Reactions: Fox of Spades
Time to immediately show my age.

A real time strategy game with heavy arabian themes that features you attempting to preserve the homeworld you fought so hard to find in the original title, and discovering the secrets of the universe in the process. It featured two very unique features: Three dimensional battlefields and battlefield resources.

You could order your ships to fly "up" and "down" as well as forward, backward, left, and right, allowing you to launch surprise and flanking attacks from all angles. This allowed players to do some truly ingenuitive tactics I don't see in modern space strategy games, such as the ability to fly fighters from above to harass and distract the enemy. When they turn to face said fighters, you hyperdrive your capital ships in underneath them and hit them hard from below. You could even tell good commanders apart from poor ones in this way: Poor commanders always thought in a two dimensional sphere, whereas smart commanders would hide their valuable assets somewhere far in the Z axis.

Battlefield resources on the other hand is the simple concept that you start with a small pool, then you have to build ships and research upgrades for said ships via salvaging wreckages, mining asteroids, and recycling older ships into newer ones. Combine this with a very limited field of view save on one-shot probes, and the entire game was a battle of wits about who could get the jump on who. Multiplayer matches could last for several hours between veteran players as they constantly probed one another's defenses, looking for weak spots somewhere before committing, because if you lost a fleet, rebuilding that fleet was often outside of your ability because of the risk involved in acquiring resources.

It's also one of the only RTS games I know of where the bases not only can move, but are encouraged to do so. There is no such thing as zergling rushing in Homeworld, because you can never be sure if the enemy stayed at a spawn point or bolted off somewhere else.

There has not been any strategy game like this one. While I very much enjoy several other titles (X-Com, Warcraft, et cetera) this one comes to mind as the pinnacle of real time strategy gaming, because there was no such thing as dice rolls or critical chances deciding battles: Just you, your wits, and your ability to outwit the other opponent in the vast, deep, uncertain abyss that is space.

Reactions: Windsong
Favorite video games.
OKAY..

- Dragon Age (all 4)
- Skyrim
- GTA (Vice City, San Andreas, IV, V)
- MODnation Racers
- LittleBigPlanet (1 and 2; need the 3rd)
- Burnout (gotta have the old racing games, right?)
- Far Cry 3
- Among the Sleep
- Outlast<3
- Guitar Hero (most of them)
- Rock Band 3
- Fallout 3
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Battlefield 3
- Black Ops (only COD game I actually liked)

Of the more recent games; Transistor and Tales from the Borderlands. Transistor for being the most gorgeous, well written, well narrated game I've had the pleasure playing in ages. It's made by the guys who made Bastion, another magnificent game.

As for all time? Oh boy. I'm just going with a list and genres here.

Strategy; Age of Empires 2, god. I have more played games on this then anything else.
RPG; Baldurs Gate 1 and 2. I've played these games for so much, and I can still remember my first charachter.
JRPG; Final Fantasy 7. Great charachter design, great story, fantastic gameplay. I miss the 70 hour long, worldmap roaming Final Fantasy games.
Adventure/Puzzle games; Monkey Island; Nuff said.

God damn, so I really don't have a favourite game or games list, just a list of games I love.

Shadow of Mordor - Solid combat, solid story with a great mechanic that is the Nemesis System. So the final boss might not be all that good, and the maps a little smaller than you might be accustomed to, but it's still a great new title. For me I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Well Written, beautiful open worlds, and great companions for a solid RPG from Bioware. I didn't think I'd love this game, but man it's my game of the year.

Jade Empire - my number one game from Bioware. Superbly written, gameplay is great and simple and the setting for me is perfect. It's a love letter to Martial Art Epics, and by god is such a great game!

Zone of The Enders - This game is how you do High Speed Mecha Combat. Hideo Kojima yet again showing that he's one helluva great director.

Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening - DMC for me is the quintessential Hack'n'Slash, Character Action Game. the Voice Acting is well done, the writing is the best in the series(though that's not an accomplishment really). plus to see Vergil pre-Nelo Angelo state was really cool.

Bayonetta/Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Platinum's two best games in my opinion. Platinum have easily become the modern quintessential Character Action Game developer and for good reason.

Dynasty Warriors: Empires Series - I'm a huge fan of the DW series, but the Empires games always bring something new and exciting to each iteration.

Dark Souls/Dark Souls II - because they are linked together, I can't really separate them, but I did hold DS above the second one for the fact thats world is more interesting, and the boss designs were more monstrous than heavily clad knights. The music is also superb.

Reactions: The Ghost Note
Gears of War 3 - I loved the entire Gears of War series, and 3 had to be the best one in terms of gameplay. Hell, I still play it online to this day.

Timesplitters 2 & Future Perfect - Two of the best FPS games I ever played. They're just fun, stupid fun. But they both had gameplay that was entertaining, and plenty of modes so that it barely got old. Oh yeah, it had a mapmaker that put Halo to shame.

Gmod - Just Gmod. It's so interesting seeing what programmers put their heads together to make. My favorite game to play is Trouble in Terrorist Town.

Transistor - For the love of God, this game is so great. The visuals and art style is just so good that I played through it twice just to look at it. The soundtrack was also pretty solid. The story was where the game was really lacking, but the gameplay also made up for it.

Mass Effect series - Now, while three had a terrible ending, I loved the entire Mass Effect series, it has a universe that rivals even Star Wars. I loved the story and writing all the way up to the ending of the third game... yeah, they could have done that better. BUT, everything leading up to that was solid. The universe was great, the characters were great, the gameplay (Of 2 & 3) were great. I can't wait to see where they take the universe next.

The original three Spyro The Dragon games - It might be nostalgia, and the fact that I long for platformer games to take the spotlight again, but the first three Spyro the Dragon games were the shit. I loved all of them. The games were so much fun, and they had pretty cool level designs (Essential for any platformer games).

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 - This goes without saying that these two games are my favorite from the PS2 era. They just had such a great story and were so much fun to play through my favorite disney movies with a twist. While they went off course haaaaaaaaaaaaaaard with the spin offs (and pretty much overcomplicating something something) I can't wait for the third game to end the series.

Oddworld (Abe's Exoddus, Stranger's Wrath) - These games are still a blast from the past that I hold dear to this day. These games had some pretty unique worlds and creature designs. But the main draw was how much fun the gameplay was. Even though I died... a lot. lol

Armored Core 4 & For Answer - Two of the best mech games I've ever played. I loved them for their high-speed robot combat and customization. The fights against the bosses and other Robots are the best part of the game (Especially the Mutant Core fight in 4). If these games were more polished, they could easily become A-list games. You might also see me quoting Armored Core from time to time.

Reactions: Valentyne
Status
Not open for further replies.