Favorite Video Games

L

Lunatic AI

Original poster
Not the video game you think it's the best, necessarily, because while I can think of games that are way better games as far as story, graphics, and gameplay than my personal favorites, they are still my favorites.

Now, my favorite game for just the whole overall experience I had playing it will probably be FF7 (groans heard all around) Yes, yes I know but it is - I wasn't allowed video games growing up, and had run out of books one hot summer day and my husband says to me: "Hey, there's this idiot in SF who's selling FF7 for forty bucks, you aren't going to work today." And so we drove hours into the bay to pick up a replacement for a game a friend had borrowed and lost and I had only seen little clips of (and wasn't too impressed with).
Cue lazy summer afternoons discovering with wide eyes that video games were not, in fact, the Devil; that I could engage in so many more parts of my brain that JUST reading while I moved along a story. And it was totally my kind of story- but we all know the story, so I don't have to explain that.

Now, rapidly scaling my list of favorites is Zelda, The Ocarina of Time. I never forgot sneaking over to my friends houses to watch the play bits of it when I was young- too afraid lightning would strike me if I tried playing myself, and then years later, playing a little in high school and sucking so badly I gave up. But feeling nostalgic, my Mr. bought me this game the other day, and I'm really enjoying it. I like the puzzles. The annoying "go there, do this, good. Now go back and undo everything you just did so you can do something else. Repeat." And I like the battles (after Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, I an IN LOVE with Target Lock. There is no Target Lock in Monster Hunter- it may very well be one of the BEST games ever made, but it is insanely difficult.) And just dozing on the couch listening to the music while I play- it's soothing.

Anyway.

Share your favorite games and what made them your favorite games. If anyone posts something like OMG L!!KE FFX 4evAh!!!!111 (and that's all- and you aren't obviously joking) I'm hacking the server, tracking you down, and doing very bad things to your computer. You don't know that I can't.

For me, it'd have to be Pokemon Red/Blue. It's hard to describe why. They jsut were. It's one of those things you just know.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.
jsut because any fps in chernobyl is awesome, russian fps in chernobyl is even better.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm going to probably go awry from most people's expectations and say that the best game I've ever played is a side-scrolling shooter on the SNES called Parodius. Think Gradius, only everything is a parody of some aspect of Japanese culture or video gaming in general. While still a challenging game, it also is downright hilarious, especially if you get a lot of the jokes that come at you in rapid-fire succession.

Chrono Trigger. An awesome SNES RPG about time travel. The music, the graphic style, the story, the fast paced gameplay compared to other RPGs, the characters and the replay value are all top notch to put it simply. It's one of the few games I always want to replay. And with all those multiple endings, it's worth it.

That is definitely my number one. It's a shame Chrono Cross just really dropped the ball and served as to give fans of CT the middle finger with it's plot, I really don't believe all the BS that happened to most of the original cast. I really wish CT would get a REAL sequel. Oh well, maybe one day....

FFVII, FFX, no need to fill in one these.

Suikoden V: So many characters(108), cool story.
Suikoden Tierkreis: German title, cool story, great graphics, first game finished on my DSi. Easy game..which too me, ain't always a bad thing.

Some Mortal Kombat game: I don't know which it was, but pretty similiar to those that were on the arcades. There was blood, there was gore, there was MK. Best fighting-series ever.

CM/FM-series: It only gets better and better.

Darkness I wag french toast at you threateningly.

I dunno, King Weavel, I kinda liked Chrono Cross. I'll admit it wasn't great but it was sO FreAKiNg cOlORfUl. I never play it but I can't bring myself to pass it on either. :P Did anyone else get stuck because you needed an attack to beat a boss, but to level up to having that attack you had to beat this boss or am I just especially good at backing myself into those kinds of corners?

Odin Sphere

Granted that it isn't a well known game (one of many I like) I find an all around fun game. It has a rather original side-scroller action/RPG style, intense action, a great story, complex characters, and impressive bosses.

The action in the game is fast paced, and varies greatly on which of the five characters you are using. The RPG system is elegant in its symplicity, only having two stats, Health and Psypher. Health determines your health, naturally. Psypher, which is what your weapon is called, determines three things, your weapons power, what spells you have, and how much energy you can store for your spells. health is upgraded by eating food, and Psypher is upgraded by absorbing Photons that are released by defeating enemies, creating potions, or by certains seeds and spells.

The story, involving five playable characters along with their supporting cast, is very intricate and includes several references to Norse mythology. The main setting for the story is a war between the Fae kingdom and Odin's kingdom. Depending on the character you play as, you get drastically different views.

I still haven't beaten it though, the final bosses are hard.

FFVI, SNES version.

Good will always win, because Good uses exploits.

It had a great storyline and fun gameplay, especially once I got to the World Of Ruin. Final team consisted of Celes, who dual-wielded legendary swords, blocked everything, had HP regen, haste, shell, shield, and spells...

Terra, who spammed nukes...

Gogo, who knew almost every spell...

and Setzer, who threw dice at people.

3d6=godslayer's choice.

My favorite game that I would say was the best throught my life till this time would be The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Darkness I wag french toast at you threateningly.

I dunno, King Weavel, I kinda liked Chrono Cross. I'll admit it wasn't great but it was sO FreAKiNg cOlORfUl. I never play it but I can't bring myself to pass it on either. :P Did anyone else get stuck because you needed an attack to beat a boss, but to level up to having that attack you had to beat this boss or am I just especially good at backing myself into those kinds of corners?

I meant mostly with the fate of the original characters in the plot and extreme lack of character development(thanks to way too many characters, everyone and their mother joined you in that game,literally in the case of Macha) in terms of what's bad. :P

Morrowind. Once I figured out what the hell to do, I played that game until I had near permanent damage to my eyes.

Fallout 3.

Oblivion with guns. Quite a winning combo in my opinion.

Most of you like the new games, well I wouldn't say that I don't but I like games more in the past that are the best. Like the SNES that is how far I can go back but I do have to say though that the M&L games were pretty good. Well anyway here are my list of each system for my favoret games.

SNES
Super Metroid, Mario RPG, FF II and III, and LoZ a link to the past

N64
LoZ Ocarina of Time, DK64

WII
Super mario galaxy, NSMBW, SSBB

GCN
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Luigi's Mansion, SSBM

XBox + 360
Devil May Cry 4, Orange Box, Gears of War 2

Hand Held
Golden Sun, Golden Sun the Lost Age, FF IV-VI *GBA*, Super Mario World advance 1-4, M&L RPG 1-3 *Japan name*, Jeanne D'arc, Fire emblem *all of them*

*Note that FF II is IV for the SNES and III is VI for the SNES*

And thoes are the games that I never get sick of at all. Except for Fire Emblem due to the fact that when someone dies they are gone, but don't get me wrong I like the game.

Personal favorites, eh?

Alright, here we go:

Side Scrolling Platformer:

Sonic the Hedgehog series (Sega Genesis
Over two deployments I finally found the time to beat the first three games. However the only game I actually stuck through to find all the little nuances was Sonic 3 & Knuckles. At present I'm still trying to get all the Hyper Emeralds.

Side Scrolling Shooter:

Metal Slug Series (Arcade, PSP, PS2)
When I first saw Metal Slug at a Minyard's grocery store (now Terry's El Mariachi) I couldn't help but think Marco looked a lot like Duke Nukem, just without the sunglasses. It was love at first sight. In fact the term 'ROCKET LOUNGER' has slipped into my daily vocabulary.

2D Fighter:

The King of Fighters series
I first encountered this series when I lived in Mexico during 1995-96. Unlike Street Fighter, KoF had a more coherent story and a system that was revolutionary back in the day.

I should mention the only drawback this series ever gave me was the SNK Boss Syndrome. As each game came out the final bosses got harder and harder. Igniz is a case in point... I cried myself to sleep the day he first handed me my ass...

FPS:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
Anyone who's ever talked to me knows I'm borderline obsessed with anything related to the Chernobyl disaster. Stalker let me explore my obsession, albeit in a simulated environment. One of the things I like about Stalker that you don't see very often in shooters is the fact that guns can jam. The more you use firearms, the more they deteriorate. Thankfully they gave you a solution to having to replace weapons due to deterioration in Clear Sky. Craftsmen can upgrade your guns and fix them, turning them into true killing machines.

Another nice addition is something many American rednecks do already: Drunken gunplay. Drink enough vodka and your crosshairs will waver, you vision will blurr, and you'll black out a little. My favorite memory is getting drunk then rushing into a gun battle with Ukrainian Border Guards. I didn't even make it ten paces.

Driving:
Burnout series
Most driving games don't encourage crashing. Burnout does. They encourage wrecking other drivers, which adds to your boost gauge. The crashes are absolutely beautiful. What's more is you can detonate your car on command, a little something that, if timed properly, can take out whoever's behind you trying to take the place you lost. While Pursuit Mode in Burnout Legends on the PSP is nice, Burnout Domination just has better looking visuals and an extended playlist.

Handheld Adventure
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Best described as a mini-MMO, this game has been my obsession since I was introduced to it by a shipmate. I have spent many hours wasting time playing Ad-Hoc wireless with my shipmates depopulating dragons and raptors. In fact as I type this I'm in the midst of a battle with a rock wyvern.

Real Time Strategy:
Command & Conquer series
The originator of the term RTS. C&C has been around for fifteen years now. I can say I've played all but Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 3. The one thing keeping me from doing so is a hardware issue. Any who, what keeps drawing me back to the games are the mods. There is a massive modding community that develops or is developing mods for all of these games.

Turn Based Strategy
Tie: Advance Wars and Front Mission
I consider these to be my mobile C&C fix. If I'm away from the laptop all I have to do is whip out the DS Lite and pop one of the two in.

Favorite?

It'd be a toss up between

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

- Rich freeroam enviroment. Clear Sky brought in factions and the ability to upgrade weapons and armor.

and

Morrowind

- Free roam, be anybody do anything... buckload of quests... best part? Mods that keep you playing for months on end.

:D I am a video game fanatic! I'm terrible at FPS though.

My favorite series is Sonic... But the new ones, since Sonic Adventure 2, have been terrible, so I'm always hesitant on saying so. Plus then I always get accused of being a furry.

My favorite Sonic game is Sonic CD, which apparently everyone hated, but it was definitely one of the harder Sonic games to beat because you could get a perfect ending, a good ending, and a bad ending... most people just got the good ending-- the perfect ending requires a whole lot more finesse. It was hard, is what I'm saying. Feel free to disagree. I agree that Sonic 2 was awesome (except for you, TAILS) and Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles were AMAZING, but that doesn't stop me from loving Sonic CD.

My favorite RPG is Golden Sun, and I can't really explain why... When I first played it I was just... kind of... floored. I do like Chrono Trigger as well, but something about Golden Sun makes me want to play it again and again and for Chrono Trigger I really just want to get all the endings, and I can do that by giving the game to my brother and telling him I want to see such-and-such ending in such-and-such time.

Of newer games made of new and games, I am a fan of No More Heroes. It's action. I feel like it's supposed to be like Katamari-- a game made to poke fun at gamers. I don't know if that's what it is, but... I think it's hilarious. I like saving SO MUCH in that game. I also like the kitty and most of the side missions. And the gym. I LOVE THE GYM.

I like racing games too (but I don't own many) and the last one I played was like Gran Tourismo insert_number_here. And you know.... Mario Kart. I just like to go fast. And crash into things. and watch explosions.

I also like Super Smash Brothers. My favorite to date is still Melee. Brawl is cool but all the weapons are super over-powered and the smash ball is annoying when Fox, Falco, or Wulf are on the field (and plain stupid when you're DK), but I do like the characters in Brawl. I liked Roy (I LOVED ROY) and Young Link (I LOVED HIM TOO) and Pichu (ALSO HIM) and they dropped all three of them and put in goddamn Olimar and R.O.B.

What.

Okay... I'm done. xD

I guess I'll have to go with the Half-Life series. There's never been a video game, for me at least, that has created such an incredible storyline and narrative quite so successfully. It's well-paced, brilliantly written, you actually give a shit about the characters, and the graphics were impressive enough in Half-Life 2 that they still look okay even today (which, given how graphics technology is constantly improving, is an impressive feat).

Also, the Mass Effect series. Best damn Bioware series since KotOR.

Grumpy... did you hear about the group that is trying to do a conversion of the first game to the source engine?