Favorite Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
"All love is unrequited. All of it." -J. Michael Straczynski.

"The quality of our thoughts is bordered on all sides by our facility with language." -J. Michael Straczynski.

"I can easily come up with ten really iconic stories/trade paperbacks for Superman, Batman, others... name me ten equally big, iconic Wonder Woman stories. Much harder. That ain't the character's fault, that isn't sexism, that's just not servicing the character." -J. Michael Straczynski.

"Hatreds not vowed and concealed are to be feared more than those openly declared." -Marcus Tullius Cicero.

"Let us not listen to those who think we ought to be angry with our enemies, and who believe this to be great and manly. Nothing is so praiseworthy, nothing so clearly shows a great and noble soul, as clemency and readiness to forgive." -Marcus Tullius Cicero.

"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus.

"The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance." -Herodotus.

"Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power." -Bertrand Russell.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -Bertrand Russell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, since I'm a writer, I would be rather remiss not to include some of the quotable dialogue I'm most proud of in my own works. So, here's some of my own, and those of some of my players, from Legend of Renalta.

"The only thing that matters is death. Everything else before and after is trivial." -James, The Illusionist.

"Oh yeah, great plan to make new friends: Torturing people. Look I can tell you right now torture didn't make all my city friends squeal and reveal their friends—more often they told lies, that they thought were more appealing than the truth." -Mikan, The Thief.

"Nothing is pure, except magic... And magic feels nothing, it thinks nothing. To live is to be impure, and imperfect... Something I wish nobility understood." -Kouri, The Princess.

"As for your lecherous feelings, all those who wish to give life possess them. Lust is normal, it is natural, it is part of love itself. However, you have a life beyond your ancestors, and beyond the princess. I was alive in her time. I saw her decline suitors. It wasn't that they admired her, it was that they had nothing else to give but their admiration. Typhon, then, took it a step further. He pursued her, he did more than lust for her--he built his entire life around her. For years after she vanished, he would descend to the surface and search--walking into villages and killed anyone who looked at him and suggested she were gone. His life became nothing but her. He lost his mind entirely to rage. As you are doing now, with these... Voices you claim to hear. Do you really think I would somehow fail to notice them in my own domain? They are not real. They are in your mind... Are there any other realities of yours I can shatter today, child?" -Kiune, the Druid Demigod.

"When she gets herself killed picking fights she should be walking away from, will you still be proud? Who knows, maybe you'll even be the one to have urged her on." -Kalemn, the Brigand.

"It has happened again, and it will happen again. I've seen what you'll become. I can't bear to watch you kill them—and I can't bear to watch you die." -Tahlia, The Spiritualist.

"No one is beyond help. Everyone deserves help when they are hurting like this. I can't watch someone I care for hurt like this." -Kasienka, The Motherly Healer.

"Now you must follow my instructions. And if you don't, you'll be picking up your son in multiple boxes next time." -Sisera, the Mad Steward of Renalta.

"You said I don't have to pretend around you, so I won't. I've always disliked inhuman things, probably something to do with my parents and growing up in Liveria, and training to be a witch hunter only added to it. Kind of hard to be comfortable with anything you were told was evil and just wanted to hurt you and your kind, you know? So I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little uncomfortable about you being a bit different in that way. I'm starting to think maybe I learned the wrong things growing up. Kind of hard to keep believing it after actually getting to know some non-human people and finding out they're not the monsters you were warned about." -Amaia, The Witch Hunter.

"In another time in another situation I would be calling you saviour and praising your name, but as of late I've been beset on all sides by secrets and deception, gods and angels. And now... You, a dragon, a powerful earth spirit, or perhaps something unfathomable to mortal minds. All I am is a man. A small, frustrated man. All I want is to know how to regain some control, as much as my place in this world can afford me." -Cennick, The Bastard.

"It is not weakness to admit your faults and depend on your allies." -Hanus, The Noble Vampire.

"When you live long enough, philosophical musing becomes an unavoidable habit. One must keep one's mind spry somehow, after all." -Ignas, The Pacifist.

"My Flesh is foreign. My Soul is not." -Baldrik, The Doubting Zealot.

"I... am trained in fighting and have killed many before. I know nothing else." -Grothnor, the Gladiator. (Waagh!)

"Ultimately, Jennifer? If you think aiding travelers entitles you to striking someone you believe impure, and make a habit of looking down on others than I don't care for your assistance. I'm not out to harm innocents, but it's hardly my call alone. You'll find various members of our party hidden in the bushes, I'm sure they have no ill intention towards you either. I do hope you'll be on your way however." -Dean, The Peasant.

"You must be fucking kidding me." -Dean, The Family Friendly Protagonist Peasant.

"For my people death is a cruel, and often abrupt, possibility. We think of death as an opportunity: To remember, to celebrate, to learn, and to try and move forward. It is not always easy, but I think about what made a person worth remembering. It adds fuel to whatever fire pushes me on. I just try my hardest not to disappoint them, because that is all that I can do." -Rahim, The Barbarian.

"... It's no use worrying about any of that now. In the field there's too many things that can change the entire situation around. Knowing the theory is one thing. When it comes to the real deal you can only hope that your guesses to their plans are correct. It's always a gamble of which you will learn the outcome one way or another." -Alexander, The Ex-Templar.

"So we shall. Just be gentle with her. I can't imagine what it must be like to wake up after sleeping for a thousand years. I would be incredibly cranky myself." -Chilum.

"Don't pull back, always think through your next move. One to another, to another, to another. Never lose your momentum, it allows you to keep your opponent on the defensive, and the defensive opponent always loses if he can't reverse his fortunes." -Marcus.

"By four o'clock, I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead." - Transmetropolitan.

"Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you." - Ghost in the shell.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." - Lewis Carroll

"Is that what God does? He helps? Tell me, why didn't God help my innocent friend who died for no reason while the guilty ran free? Okay. Fine. Forget the one offs. How about the countless wars declared in his name? Okay. Fine. Let's skip the random, meaningless murder for a second, shall we? How about the racist, sexist, phobia soup we've all been drowning in because of him? And I'm not just talking about Jesus. I'm talking about all organized religion. Exclusive groups created to manage control. A dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope. His followers, nothing but addicts who want their hit of bullshit to keep their dopamine of ignorance. Addicts. Afraid to believe the truth. That there's no order. There's no power. That all religions are just metastasizing mind worms, meant to divide us so it's easier to rule us by the charlatans that wanna run us. All we are to them are paying fanboys of their poorly-written sci-fi franchise. If I don't listen to my imaginary friend, why the fuck should I listen to yours? People think their worship's some key to happiness. That's just how he owns you. Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality. So fuck God. He's not a good enough scapegoat for me." - Mr. Robot.

"If you pull that trigger, right, you pull that trigger for a fucking honourable reason. Like an honourable man, not like some fucking civilian that does not understand the wicked way of our world, mate." - Peaky Blinders.

"True, you're not a slave. You're worse off than that by a long, long way. You're a predatory beast shut up in a cage of which the bars aren't fixed, solid objects you can gnaw at or in despair batter against with your head until you get punch-drunk and stop worrying. No, those bars are the competing members of your own species, at least as cunning as you on average, forever shifting around so you can't pin them down, liable to get in your way without the least warning, disorienting your personal environment until you want to grab a gun or an axe and turn mucker." - Stand on Zanzibar.

"If one's different, one's bound to be lonely." - Aldous Huxley.

"The universe is a dark forest. Every civilization is an armed hunter stalking through the trees like a ghost, gently pushing aside branches that block the path and trying to tread without sound. Even breathing is done with care. The hunter has to be careful, because everywhere in the forest are stealthy hunters like him. If he finds other life—another hunter, an angel or a demon, a delicate infant or a tottering old man, a fairy or a demigod—there's only one thing he can do: open fire and eliminate them. In this forest, hell is other people. An eternal threat that any life that exposes its own existence will be swiftly wiped out. This is the picture of cosmic civilization. It's the explanation for the Fermi Paradox." - Liu Cixin.

"A pessimist sees a challenge in every opportunity, an optimist sees an opportunity in every challenge." - Winston Churchill.

This is a quote that stayed with me because it really forces you to change your perspective on life's hardships. Either you can look at things as hardships, or you can try to see the positives in these obstacles and grow from them. You become a better person by surmounting them in the end, and either you can be empowered by the experience or let it drag you down.

"The only easy day was yesterday." - US Navy SEAL motto.

Basically, yesterday's problems don't matter anymore, you should focus on the present and what's to come. Helps keep me from being stuck in a rut and being fixated on things I can't change.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."- US Marine Corps saying.

I had this one shouted at me during basic training and soldier's qualification a lot when I was in the Canadian Forces reserve by my instructor. In one of the hardest times of my life (oh look at that, it got dethroned by this entire fucking year), where all I wanted to do was quit because I thought I couldn't handle it, every unimaginable strain on my body and mind, where both were screaming at me to stop, I endured it, and at the end of that road, I was a much stronger person both mentally and physically and I accomplished something only a handful of people ever even try to do.

"If you ever get fired from a job, it was never right for you to begin with." - Unknown

I forget exactly where I heard this, but I'd be damned if it wasn't one of the most accurate sayings I've ever heard. It was something I remembered when I lost a couple jobs, and I only moved on to better things since then.

• Love
Reactions: Shiri and Greenie
I've done a number of these, and in every thread I always find a new one to like.

"I have loved to the point of madness; that which is called madness, that which to me, is the only sensible way to love." --Francois Sagon

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love." --Washington Irving

Reactions: Wen
"If I were argue with one thousand knowledgeable people, I would surely win the argument. But if I were to argue with one fool, I would lose the argument" Ash- Shafi'ee.

Whenever I get someone talking stupidity to me, this quote clicks. Basically telling me that the person isn't gonna understand what I'm saying, so why waste my breath?

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"

― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

That quote always struck me as rather fascinating.

"There are many things in life we don't want. Like chicken pox. This is better than chicken pox."

Me while handing a student spelling test words.

Status
Not open for further replies.