Favorite Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midnight Maiden

So, I noticed there wasn't really anything like this and was looking through some old favorite quotes of mine, myself, and thought why not?

So what are some of your favorite quotes? Quotes that inspire you, make you happy, or are just funny- no matter whether they're from you or a friend or some renowned celebrity.

Here's one I just found that I really like.

monday_quote.jpg

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: York
"Nothing saves anyone's life sir. It just postpones their death."

- The History Boys

Reactions: Midnight Maiden
I'm very fond of the quote I used as an example for my grimdark guide. It's a quote from Frank Herbert, talking about his Dune series. I think its a great quote to keep in mind, when talking about narrative, character development - and what the heroes' journey actually entails, and what it means. The vision of heroism it presents is bleak - but I think its got far more truth to it than many author's perspectives on their own characters.

"The bottom line of the Dune trilogy is: beware of heroes. Much better rely on your own judgment, and your own mistakes."
-Frank Herbert, 1979​
Another one that I'm very fond of comes from Jesse Byock's translation of Saga of the Volsungs. It concerns Fafnir's Heart - which grants wisdom, and the ability to speak to birds, to whoever eats of it. Sigurd Fafnisbane has eaten some of the dragon heart already - but the text says that he saved some of the heart for later. However, he never eats anymore of it - he actually gives the rest of it to his wife, Gudrun. It seems to be a warning that too much knowledge will never bring happiness : or that dragon-slayers and heroes can never be happy.
"Then Gudrun ate of the dragon's heart - and her heart became grimmer."
-The Saga of the Volsungs​

Have a lot of quotes.

"God will not look you over for medals, degrees, or diplomas but for scars."
-Elbert Hubbard

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
-Albert Einstein

And some of my favorite Stephen King quotes:

"Time is a keyhole, he thought as he looked up at the stars. Yes, I think so. We sometimes bend and peer through it. And the wind we feel on our cheeks when we do - the wind that blows throught the keyhole- is the breath of all the living universe."

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win."

"Alone. Yes, that's the key word, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it and hell is only a poor synonym."

"Remember, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"Writing isn't about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it's about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It's about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy, okay? Getting happy."

"Schizoid behavior is a pretty common thing in children. It's accepted, because all we adults have this unspoken agreement that children are lunatics."

Family is just Blood.
Friends are the life-saving transfusion.

I don't know if it counts since it's my quote, but I have it tattooed on myself so it means a lot to me. Shrugs

"A fake, you say? And what if I am? It doesn't matter if we are fakes, if you push long enough you'll eventually become the real thing!"
- Toshizo Hijikata

"but i love him so much I decided to give him some more flesh"
"im not tall enuf and i don't have a blonde guy to mess around with, soz"
- yours truly.

"Move it along, teenagers. The only person who gets to canoodle in my bedroom is my magnificent self."
- Magnus Bane

"You can't spell assassin without 'sin', and twice the ass!"
- Deadpool

"I don't care what your sexual orientation is. A good butt is a good butt"
- Mari

"There is no such thing as a coincidence. There is only the inevitable."
- Yuuko Ichihara

"Even death can't cure idiocy"
- Yui

• Love
Not sure who this is by, but boy does it speak to me.

"God gives us our relatives, thank God we can choose our friends."

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt."
-Abraham Lincoln/Mark Twain

"The lion does not turn around when a small dog barks."
-African Proverb

"All you have to do is to write a true sentence. Write the truest sentence you know."
-Ernest Hemingway

"Quiet people have the loudest minds."
-Stephen King

"Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die."
-Buddha

"You're mad. Bonkers. Off your head...But I'll tell you a secret...All of the best people are."
-Alice in Wonderland

"We are more alike my friends than we are unalike." — Maya Angelou

"It's okay to make mistakes." — Whoever has said this before

"Bad Deadpool... Good Deadpool." — Awesome fucking Deadpool Ryan Reynolds

"If you meet a Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet a Ghost, kill the Ghost."

I don't follow Buddhism closely at all, but this quote struck a nerve with me from way back in high school. There are debates about the meaning of the phrase, but I take it as a push to never become lazy and content. Reject the illusion of perfection because there's always something to learn. If you meet a goal, make a new one. Always strive to be a better person than you were yesterday.

keep-smiling-because-life-is-beautiful-marilyn-monroe-quotes.jpg

2cddee30eb9dea892527ec71af08d966.jpg

9ab7a438981f89acbc437f8c9b048e95.jpg

Marilyn-Monroe-Beautiful.jpg

83ede3080a2d68512b18c970b97543af.jpg

Marilyn-Monroe-Life-Quotes.jpg

5f3730a5caca17ae144f5141cb93a8d0.jpg

marilyn-monroe-quotes-14.jpg

There's a Theme here... but what is it? I don't know...

My signature currently displays one of my favorite quotes:

"We all carry within us places of exile, our crimes, our ravages. Our task is not to unleash them on the world; it is to transform them in ourselves and others." - Albert Camus

I think that All Quiet on the Western Front is, overall, a poignant novel but I have always particularly liked:

"But you were only an idea to me before, an abstraction that lived in my mind and called forth its appropriate response. . . . I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony—Forgive me, comrade; how could you be my enemy?" - Erich Maria Remarque

And a last one:
"All mortals are equal; it is not their birth,
But virtue itself that makes the difference. " - Voltaire

These are just a few of my very favorites, and things by which I try to live.

Oh, favorite quotes... I have a lot.

There are a million ways we should've died before today. And a million ways we could die before tomorrow. But we fight . . . for every second we get to spend with each other. Whether its two minutes. . . Or two days.. . We don't give that up.

- Riley, Last of Us, Left Behind

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything."
- Courage the cowardly Dog, Perfect

Inkheart Trilogy, my favorite quotes
"Books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them."
"Writing stories is a kind of magic, too."
-InkHeart
"So what? All writers are lunatics!"
"Stories never really end...even if the books like to pretend they do. Stories always go on. They don't end on the last page, any more than they begin on the first page."
― Cornelia Funke, Inkspell
"A reader doesn't really see the characters in a story; he feels them."
"You really don't understand the first thing about writing...for one thing, early in the morning is the worst possible time. the brain is like a wet sponge at that hour. And for another, real writing is a question of staring into space and waiting for the right ideas."
Cornelia Funke, Inkdeath

"Because, as an author I have immense power. I can make anything happen with a simple movement of my hand. I can make worlds from nothing, then reduce them to ashes in a sentence. I have power over emotions, thoughts, actions. I can create new races, genetics beyond the mind of science as we know it. I have mastered life, death, and the in-between. I can do anything. I am an AUTHOR."

-KnK, Ange and Neo's hostile takeover.

( This quote is up there with one of my favorites that another author/ writer said.)

" If you're a better me than I am, then who am I?"
- Velma Dinkley, ,Scooby Doo! Moon Monster Madness.

"Lord, we know what we are but know not what we may be." -Ophelia, Hamlet.

" I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

It's OK. It's OK, it's OK. It's OK, it's perfect. I'm in the arms of my first love. The first person I ever loved. The person I'll always love. I love you, Scott. Scott McCall. - Allison Argent, Teen Wolf

"Mothers and fathers, we have to love our children more in order to make the sacrifices it takes to put them first. But one thing is true: love will always be a stronger bond than blood. Trust that. And those children out there love you. They need you. They can't lose you. Their needs trump your wants. And that's what being a real mother is all about." - Dana, The Fosters

"Sweetheart, let me tell you something no teenager ever believes, but I guarantee you is the absolute truth. You fall in love more than once. It will happen again. It will be just as amazing and extraordinary as the first time and maybe just as painful. But it'll happen again. I promise. But until then, be your own anchor." -Melissa McCall, Teen Wolf

"By ourselves we're no one. It's when other people look at us and see someone... that's the moment we each start to exist" - Joshua, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

" No chance, no way, I won't say, no, no, it's too cliche, I won't say I'm in love." - Megara, Hercules

"That's what makes us human. Feeling things–even pain. That's what music does, if it's any good: it makes you feel things. You listen to a song, and somehow you know what that person was going through when he wrote it. Or maybe it puts a name to what you're feeling. And because you can share that, you don't feel so alone." - Emma, The Sorcerer Heir

"What do you know about yourself? What are your stories? The ones you tell yourself, and the ones told by others. All of us begin somewhere. Though I suppose the truth is that we begin more than once; we begin many times. Over and over, we start our own tales, compose our own stories, whether our lives are short or long. Until at last all our beginnings come down to just one end, and the tale of who we are is done." - Cameron Dokey, Midnight: A retelling of Cinderella

"Lie to me" "It's terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true. The bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies and... everybody lives happily ever after." " Liar" - Buffy and Giles, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Why can't you trust anyone?" " BECAUSE YOU TRUST EVERYONE!" - Scott McCall and Stiles, Teen Wolf

"And how do you plan on paying for anything, hmmm? We have a priceless jewel we can't spend and a six foot hero we can't eat." - Isabella, Galavant

"If you can't remember something, it's like it never happened. Likewise, if something never happened, you can't remember it. Try too hard to remember, and your memory might lie to you." - Cheshire Cat, Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories

"I don't care if you have a pulse, much less a nice day" - Dorothy, The Golden Palace

" I could go for "Miles" on Miles." "Oh my god, that was so bad!" "Then why are you laughing?" "Because that was so bad!" "I think that joke missed by miles." - Alvin, Miles and Theodore, Alvin and The Chipmunks: The Road Chip ( It's the only joke that got me to laugh.)

"That thing doesn't obey the laws of physics at all!" - Spiderman, Captain America: Civil War

"I'm 147 pounds of pale skin and fragile bones.Sarcasm is my only defense." - Stiles, Teen Wolf

" You have married an Icarus. He's flown too close to the sun." - Burn, Hamilton

" You hold your child as tightly as you can and push away the unimaginable"

"I know there's no replacing what we lost."

" Forgiveness, can you imagine? Forgiveness, can you imagine?"

-It's Quiet Uptown, Hamilton ( All three quotes.)

I have more favorite quotes... but I shall share those later.

I've got a ton of quotes that I love. I'm one of those nerds who saves interesting quotes in various notepads on my computer. I'll try to keep it short and sweet though, and to do so I'll stick to ones that hold some level of personal resonance rather than just being neat things that amuse me.

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it." - Joseph Joubert

"Only a fool humbles himself when the world is so full of men eager to do that job for him." - Theon Greyjoy in the book A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." - From some book by a person named P.C. Hodgell. I first heard it falsely attributed to Carl Sagan.

"The only thing that hurts more than paying an income tax is not having to pay an income tax." - Thomas Robert Dewar

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it." - Mark Twain

Pretty sure the bulk of those are either without source, misattributions, or by someone else (one is by Kurt Cobain). I mean, the quotes can still be good, but I doubt she's the one who said them.
I know that, doesn't mean I don't actually like them and some I live by.

"...there's some friendship in the world, and it's worth fightin' for."

From an MLP fan vid. It speaks to me too though, especially the last few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.