Favorite authors?

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by SacredWarrior, Apr 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If there are some people on this site that read literature, what are some of your favorite authors, poets, etc? Here are some of mine:

Maya Angelou
    Zane (don't judge :P)
    ReShonda Tate Billingsley
  2. Stephen King. Terry Pratchett. Neil Gaiman, HP Lovecraft, Edgar Alan Poe,
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Stephen King is KING! :D
  4. Favorite authors? Well, mine have dropped drastically because of stuff. My current favorite author is Sherrilyn Kenyon.
  5. Stephen King
    Clive Barker
    H.P Lovecraft
    Jason Brant
    Dean Koontz
    Charles Dickens

There's probably others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

6. You have good taste :D
  7. Stephen King was the reason I started reading. XD My mom bought the book It from a book club thing she belonged to (Which I never understood because she doesn't read.) and at the time the movie had come out, but she wouldn't let me watch it. Everyone in my class was talking about the movie, so I read the book so I would know what they were talking about, and ended up getting hooked. My second book was Desperation, and I couldn't sleep for a week after reading it. I kept imagining something going into my nose while I was sleeping. =/
  8. In no particular order...

Stephen Hunter
    David L. Robbins
    Tom Clancy
    Orson Scott Card
    Robert Heinlein
    Scott Palahniuk
    Steve Berry
    HP Lovecraft
    Karen Traviss
    Michael Crichton
    Rob Tom Smith

I'm probably missing a few.
  9. Been a fan of Chuck Palahniuk for a good wee while now. I'm a huge fan of his writing style; reads in a very staccato, stream-of-consciousness manner at points, but can also be highly introspective or disturbing when the story calls for it. He's turned this style to a great many genres. 'Fight Club' is probably the one he's best known for, but my personal favourite is 'Haunted' (containing the short story 'Guts' that apparently makes people faint when he reads it live).
  10. Robert Jordan was my favorite.
  11. Becouse a book doesn't do a better job at turning your own imagination against you, right? XD
  12. Edger Allen Poe
    Stephen King
    Anne Rice
  13. Salman Rushdie, Haruki Murakami and Don DeLillo .
  14. H.P. Lovecraft
    Stephen King
    Dean Koontz
    Robert Jordan
    Piers Anthony
    David Eddings
    Terry Brooks

These ones come to mind off the top of my head.
  15. I think I got the better end of the deal reading It before I watched the movie. The clown was a hell of a lot creepier in my mind. I couldn't go near sewer drains for a year.
  16. In no particular order:

Lee Child
    Agatha Christie
    Dan Brown
    Alex Bledsoe (he's hilarious, fight me)
    Naomi Novik
    Walter Farley

The list is a lot longer, but those are the ones I can list off the top of my head.
    • Love Love x 1
  17. Man, I used to love Piers Anthony. Is he still writing?
  18. David Eddings
    Cam Banks
    Edgar Allan Poe
    Patrick McManus
    Drew Karpyshyn

I'm hesitant to put Rick Riordan on this list because Heroes of Olympus was so bad, but I do love Percy Jackson and the Kane Chronicles. Margaret Weis and Tracky Hickman almost made it on here too.

EDIT: Sir Walter Scott may have a place on this list soon; I started reading Ivanhoe not long ago, and I'm a big fan of it so far.
    #18 Valentyne, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  19. My favourite, hands down, is Agatha Christie. I'm almost never as relaxed as I am when reading one of her books while sipping on a hot cup of tea with the rain pouring outside.
  20. A lot of good picks in this thread, but somehow nobody's mentioned Brandon Sanderson. Anyone who likes Robert Jordan, David Eddings, etc. should check him out. Everything he touches is gold. He's the Midas of the fantasy genre.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.