Favorite authors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SacredWarrior

Original poster
If there are some people on this site that read literature, what are some of your favorite authors, poets, etc? Here are some of mine:

Maya Angelou
Zane (don't judge :P)
ReShonda Tate Billingsley

Stephen King. Terry Pratchett. Neil Gaiman, HP Lovecraft, Edgar Alan Poe,

Reactions: Dervish
Favorite authors? Well, mine have dropped drastically because of stuff. My current favorite author is Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Stephen King
Clive Barker
H.P Lovecraft
Jason Brant
Dean Koontz
Charles Dickens
Shakespeare

There's probably others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

You have good taste :D
Stephen King was the reason I started reading. XD My mom bought the book It from a book club thing she belonged to (Which I never understood because she doesn't read.) and at the time the movie had come out, but she wouldn't let me watch it. Everyone in my class was talking about the movie, so I read the book so I would know what they were talking about, and ended up getting hooked. My second book was Desperation, and I couldn't sleep for a week after reading it. I kept imagining something going into my nose while I was sleeping. =/

In no particular order...

GRRM
Stephen Hunter
David L. Robbins
Tom Clancy
Orson Scott Card
Robert Heinlein
Scott Palahniuk
Steve Berry
HP Lovecraft
Karen Traviss
Michael Crichton
Rob Tom Smith

I'm probably missing a few.

Been a fan of Chuck Palahniuk for a good wee while now. I'm a huge fan of his writing style; reads in a very staccato, stream-of-consciousness manner at points, but can also be highly introspective or disturbing when the story calls for it. He's turned this style to a great many genres. 'Fight Club' is probably the one he's best known for, but my personal favourite is 'Haunted' (containing the short story 'Guts' that apparently makes people faint when he reads it live).

Stephen King was the reason I started reading. XD My mom bought the book It from a book club thing she belonged to (Which I never understood because she doesn't read.) and at the time the movie had come out, but she wouldn't let me watch it. Everyone in my class was talking about the movie, so I read the book so I would know what they were talking about, and ended up getting hooked. My second book was Desperation, and I couldn't sleep for a week after reading it. I kept imagining something going into my nose while I was sleeping. =/
Becouse a book doesn't do a better job at turning your own imagination against you, right? XD

Edger Allen Poe
Stephen King
Anne Rice

Salman Rushdie, Haruki Murakami and Don DeLillo .

H.P. Lovecraft
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
Robert Jordan
Piers Anthony
David Eddings
Terry Brooks

These ones come to mind off the top of my head.

Becouse a book doesn't do a better job at turning your own imagination against you, right? XD
I think I got the better end of the deal reading It before I watched the movie. The clown was a hell of a lot creepier in my mind. I couldn't go near sewer drains for a year.

In no particular order:

Lee Child
Agatha Christie
Dan Brown
Alex Bledsoe (he's hilarious, fight me)
Naomi Novik
Walter Farley

The list is a lot longer, but those are the ones I can list off the top of my head.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
H.P. Lovecraft
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
Robert Jordan
Piers Anthony
David Eddings
Terry Brooks

These ones come to mind off the top of my head.
Man, I used to love Piers Anthony. Is he still writing?

David Eddings
Cam Banks
Edgar Allan Poe
Patrick McManus
Drew Karpyshyn

I'm hesitant to put Rick Riordan on this list because Heroes of Olympus was so bad, but I do love Percy Jackson and the Kane Chronicles. Margaret Weis and Tracky Hickman almost made it on here too.

EDIT: Sir Walter Scott may have a place on this list soon; I started reading Ivanhoe not long ago, and I'm a big fan of it so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite, hands down, is Agatha Christie. I'm almost never as relaxed as I am when reading one of her books while sipping on a hot cup of tea with the rain pouring outside.

A lot of good picks in this thread, but somehow nobody's mentioned Brandon Sanderson. Anyone who likes Robert Jordan, David Eddings, etc. should check him out. Everything he touches is gold. He's the Midas of the fantasy genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.