FateGuard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amongst the FateGuard Derek was knelt down next to Althera with large leather pouch from his belt containing assorted salves to dull pain and promote healing and woven linen bandages carefully replacing the hasty midst of battle patch up Alwyn had done with something more long term. He was unsure of what the clerics and healers would be able to do during the evening with how busy they were with the snake's corpse. It was a massive thing and would take a fair amount of manpower to move, thus influencing Derek's decision to not wait for them. Off to the side being watched by his allies were the pieces of the Regalia of Ancient Kings from the waist up, having proven too cumbersome to wear while trying to have a delicate touch. Having tended to her legs to the best of his abilities he moved to her arm and hand that she had used to push Alondite to him.

"I owe you a thank you unlike any I've owed a comrade in a great while, Althera. Though you may not think much of it the battle may have gone much worse had you not been able to get Alondite to me. Alwyn blinded the beast. Arias distracted it, and Refia slew it, yes, but I don't think that would have been possible without both Tahan and I distracting it. And I would not have been able to distract it without Alondite to break free, nor would I have been able to protect you and Alwyn from it and who knows what would have happened to me in that chaos. I dare say I owe you my life this night," finished with her arm Derek paused for a moment. She had been hurt around her lower back and it was something he couldn't just leave be. "Erm, I...e-excuse me..." he muttered. He had done a terrible job covering the awkward tone in his voice as he gingerly lifted her tunic enough to expose her waist. Keeping it from falling with one hand he began to look over for any open wounds or bruising applying the medical salve where appropriate.

"I'd like to thank you properly if you're alright with that. You're welcome to recuperate at my house. I'm sure my sister would be delighted to be cooking for another and I'm sure you'll be more comfortable with her tending to your injuries than the likes of me....I can't exactly tend to any other places appropriately if you understand my meaning..."

Last edited:
Water gushed down Janus's throat, providing his dry inside with relief. When he drew the waterskin away from his lips, he made his reply. "I hope so too... Och!" (A grunt of pain, as one of the acolytes massaged an ointment onto his rotten leg) "-But I don't think it was something I did that was the cause. When that giant snake... coalesced, I felt this strange surge of energy go through my-Argh!" (The acolyte cut deep through his flesh, then took out the rot, replacing them with a clay-like mixture of holy water and ash) "-myself, as if... as if something was manipulating... manipulating me..." Then a certain euphoria filled Janus, as the acolyte injected poppy's milk into his leg, and he (Janus) was silenced.

Janus woke up to the sound of Eos asking about his state. "I... I'm alright", he replied, as Eos helped him towards a nearby crate. "I guess I should ask you the same." A quaint smile shone on his face. "Some night..."

The night was already late, an orange-pink glow on the horizon where the sun would soon be coming up. Alwyn shivered as a cold wind swept over where the FateGuard rested. Instinctively he reached to pull his cloak tighter around him before he remembered it had been reduced to makeshift bandages and bow packaging. With a faint sigh he propped his hands back on the ruined wooden beam he sat on, slightly above the others on the edge of the wreckage of the house, his feet dangling back and forth slightly in the air. Althera's bow was still carefully wrapped in his cloak, balanced on the beam next to him, his own bow resting atop of it. Alwyn had not yet had an opportunity to return her bow given the state Althera was still in, although he had retrieved his scarf from where Derek had discarded it when he had replaced her bandages. The now bloodied scarf was now tied it in a loose knot on his belt, Alwyn made a mental note to wash it before he went to sleep.

Stifling a yawn he absent mindedly he returned his focus back on Derek who was treating Althera. Alwyn could hear the larger man's voice but he was not paying attention to the words, lost in thought on what Corben had said. Corben was probably right; he usually was on such matters. Still, the issue with their food resources was beyond his control or say, the politics and scheming of the matter far above his head and duty. That was a job for the civic leaders, if they could ever agree on anything anymore.

Then Derek slowly and gingerly lifted Althera's tunic.

Alwyn blinked, his line of thought hopelessly jarred before realizing what was going on. Rapidly he averted his eyes, his face flushing a deep scarlet as he scanned the rest of the town square.

The first golden rays of the sun started to peek over the rooftops of Gothenheim. Dawn was quickly approaching.

As she waited for the clerics and mages, Refia removed her armor and cleaned her sword carefully. Although it was protected from the many snake bites, their blood was no less dangerous than their venom. With the adrenaline from the battle wearing off, she leaned against a wall for support, barely able to stand on her own. Looking back at the massive snake corpse, the realization of what she'd done finally hit her, and she laughed to herself.

Althera gave a sudden yelp of pain as she was drawn out of unconsciousness for the tenth, and last time that night, she had probably slept more than the King himself. In a dazed panic she had began to squirm feebly to escape whatever nightmare horror that had plagued her dreams, but was put to rest by the sight of Derek tending to her wounds, and the rocket of pain that shot up her legs quickly following after.

"I'm not dead, am I?" She felt like she had been kicked in the chest by an angered stallion, who came back to trample over her body just for the satisfaction of it, she didn't dare think of what kind of mess she looked like. Slowly, she gazed about the scene around herself. The serpent lay dead and half... Eaten by a rope which she easily pinged magical. People were picking each other up, tending to housing, crying over losses and others simply giddy with joy with the survival on the nights attack. "I imagined waking up in a field of Daisy's... A lute sprawled across my lap." She began a small quirt of laughter which quickly turned into a wince. She could manage speech, even though it was practically a muffled gust of air, but anything else was too much effort as she had never been one reliable enough to deal with pain.

But to her utter relief Derek's care had a remarkable effect within minutes, and the pain in her legs was reduced to a fairly bad ache, but still better than it used to be, and she was finally able to oddly position herself into a more comfortable position as he moved to tend to her arm. Which she very often flexed to make sure that none of the tendons were severed. A broken hand she could deal with, but not a crippled finger.

Althera was about to ask of the nights events when Derek began to speak just as her lips parted. "I owe you a thank you unlike any I've owed a comrade in a great while, Althera. Though you may not think much of it the battle may have gone much worse had you not been able to get Alondite to me..." She listened to his speech with a grave expression, both because she knew that when Derek spoke in the tone he was using now meant business, and because she had never expected Him to be thanking her in the matter that he was.

Althera sat there, silently listening and rolling over her own doubt. When she had pushed Alondite to Derek, she could only remember a muffled crumbling and a strange pattern of light. Which she had, and still thinks was just her frayed nerves playing tricks on her at the time. Though as he went into more depth with his tale she began to doubt her own doubt. Did she really play such an important role to their survival? And if so, what would it bring her? She was never one for wanting attention. And if it did bring attention to herself, was it positive or negative?

She was brought out of her thoughts when Derek gave her a muffled apology, and she had to strain her hearing to understand what he said. "What are you...?" She almost swore out loud, and if common sense hadn't prevented her and the fact that her yell would have likely brought forth the eyes of tens of unwanted gazes, she would have done so. She held her breath to keep herself from doing anything rash, and if she had seen Alwyn's reaction she would have likely screamed bloody murder.

Derek had completely caught her off guard with his next propitiation. "I'd like to thank you properly if you're alright with that. You're welcome to recuperate at my house. I'm sure my sister would be delighted to be cooking for another and I'm sure you'll be more comfortable with her tending to your injuries than the likes of me....I can't exactly tend to any other places appropriately if you understand my meaning..." At the mention of a sister she felt a pang of loss flutter inside of her breast. Althera hadn't seen her own sister in over two months, and she was beginning to feel the dull ache of prolonged grief, as if something had died inside of her long ago and was only now starting to feel the result.

Althera mulled over her words, plucking them carefully from the depths of her mind even if it was a small, shabby response. "I... Would really appreciate it, Derek... And I would truthfully like to meet your sister. T-thank you." She diverted her eyes to the Adamantite armor piece next to her, focusing her thoughts on more pleasant things. "A warm bath would be nice..." She managed to squeeze out, she couldn't remember the last time she had been cleaned properly.

The first rays of sun splashed on the Legionnaire's armour, banishing any sense of mystique it held during the night. It was revealed to be a worn, decayed suit of flesh, leathery skin and tendon stitched together onto the skull helmet, more like a cape than armour. As the Alchymia chapter completed their deeds and disappeared to their catacombs, he also paused and took his helmet off.

He glanced behind him at the rest of the group for a moment, then turned heel and followed suit, disappearing - hiding - in the last shadows in the alleyways.

"A sentiment I share," Derek stood up just as a representatives of the church and Eldritch guild tapped him on the shoulder and nodded to him as they motioned to the pieces of the Regalia off to the side. Nodding in response Derek put on the remaining pieces and helped Althera to her feet before making sure they both had their things together, "I've been allowed to depart. Let's get going," he smiled and began walking towards the hill that lead to the business district.

About half an hour later Derek opened the front door and entered the main living space and found his sister sleeping in his chair with her feet propped up on the ottoman. It had long since become a regular sight for Derek but it still brought a measure of comfort to see her waiting for him to arrive home every night, even if it didn't always mean sleeping in her bed. Derek lightly shook her on the shoulder, "Annette. I'm home...hey, wake up," his only response was a sleepy groan and a long slow inhale before finally opening her eyes and after a brief moment a lone sleepy smile.

"Nice to know Gothenheim lives to see another day," as her brother nodded Ann stretched ever so slightly, not wanting to risk waking up so much that she couldn't fall back asleep, "What time is it?" she muttered.

"The sun is just barely starting to rise," reaching up Derek tussled Ann's hair, "Sorry, Sis. As much as I want to let you sleep I need your help with something," Derek motioned to Althera who had only just made it into the doorway. The sight made his sister smile ever so slightly. Fighting back a yawn she looked up at Derek.

"Are you going to make a habit of bringing home every pretty archer the FateGuard recruits...?" rather than act indignant Derek responded by pulling the blanket off his sister causing her to reflexively curl up to try to keep warm.

"No time for jokes, little sister. She's been pretty banged up. I did what I could, but I think she was ready to punch me enough when I tended to her waist. I can't exactly do anything else without sullying modesty," knowing she wasn't going to be going back to sleep Ann stretched in full and sat up.

"You have no tact at all do you? I'll give her a look over if she thinks she needs it, yeah."

"Good. I'm going upstairs and getting this armor off. If you can, swing by the constabulary today and tell them I had a long night. They'll understand. After the black rider they always do," With that Derek made his way upstairs to his room while Ann approached Althera.

"Come on in. Make yourself at home. I'm Annette Vermillion, Derek's sister. Ann for short. Is there anything I can get for you, Miss.....?"

"I think I'll need a drink much stiffer than this water for toni- this morning..." Janus belched out a long, hard yawn. "Something to..." (Another yawn) "...lull me to sleep, or something..." But as Janus planted his feet onto the ground to stand, a sharp numbness hit him, and he found himself incapable of standing up. The treatment the clergymen gave him had not yet taken full effect.

"Well, I'm not just gonna" (Another yawn) "sleep here. Dammit, I didn't feel this sleepy when the whole battle thing happened." He pulled his leg to his nose, and the smell of fresh poppy's milk filled his nostrils. "Ah, of course... Guess that explains the strange dreams I just had." A ray of sunlight disturbed him then, provoking from him another yawn. "I've-well, I don't think I've ever been up this... ah, long before..." Then a clergyman passed by him, from whom he hailed assistance. The cleric helped him to a nearby carriage, and he became the carriage's first passenger. "To... Ugh, to home..."

A spectacle of morning brightness greeted Janus as he reached his home. Fortunately, no great beasts nor sneaky burglars had disturbed it throughout the night, and he (with the assistance of the carriage driver) entered it with homily glee, rushing first to his house's rather advanced 'mechanical chamberpot' (or 'toilet', as the Guildsman who made and gave it to him called it) to take a piss, then to his bedroom to get some sleep. He jumped into his bed, paid his fare to the driver (and then some, as he felt too tired to make accounts), bid farewell and good morning to the driver, then slept.

Status
Not open for further replies.