Fate/Vagabond Ardor

Martin asked a very loaded question right off the bat. As Lancer took the tumbler in his hand the armor would magically disappear. Instead, the Servant would don the robes of Priest hailing from the current era. Lancer remained in a silent sphere of thought as he drank from the cup. One hand on the side while the other held the bottom. Ceremonious even when drinking from a normal container.

The silence was not to intimidate or put space between the two. Lancer was honestly thinking and debating; What does a saint ever wish for? All he had in life was provided by God. To wish for more would suggest he was not fulfilled. Even his death was in order to go along with God's plan. Could the wish be used for other people? Most certainly it wouldn't stop a self-less wish to be made. It is decided.

As the tumbler emptied and Lancer placed it back on the counter, his eyes reflected thought and promise. "If you wish to know Master. I did many things in life. Some I am proud of. I lived a life where desire meant nothing; I was complete in that regard. However, there are some events I wish I did not commit. Even though they happened for a reason I don't fully wish to accept them. So I have one wish. If I have only one wish then I wish to take the place of a man I killed."

His resolution was strong and unwavering. Lancer meant every word he spoke. Going into more detail, however, might reveal things which would be better left ignored. For the time being of course. "Now I understand you want more details. But that is all I can offer you right now. Revealing to you my true name could offer to strengthen our bond, or make it so that my weaknesses or faults come to light." A heavy bow placed Lancer's golden hair below Matin's eyes. The display was earnest and Lancer remained in that state until told otherwise. "Please my Noble Master, tell me your own wish. So I can help it come true."

'I wish to take the place of a man I killed'. This was pure, and honest, and unblemished, and it wounded him with its sincerity. He took a second slug from the glass, letting one bitter taste wash out the other. He placed the drained glass back on the counter top, and shifted his leaning stance, tapping the heel of one boot to the floor. What he wanted was comparatively selfish, though he had the best of intentions behind his wish. Ahh, but the road to Hell was ever paved in good intentions, and what one saw as a pure and noble goal, another might mistake- or perhaps more appropriately, understand- as shortsighted and foolish. Yet, the man had asked, and he believed that honesty was always the best policy.

"My wish.." He thought a moment, then filled his glass with water, taking another sip. "Do you know of America? It was far after your time, but.." He paused a moment, then shook his head. "It doesn't matter. My home country is fledgling in many of the ways that matter, namely amongst the various circles of Magi. My family, in particular, the Holcombs, are somewhat low on the totem pole." Another pause, another sip. "From this grail, I'd ask for understanding, to keep it simple. There are things that have long been lost to Magi of this time, and I'd rather like my line to be the ones to unearth those truths." He smiled, somewhat distractedly, and sighed. "That's not quite as noble as your wish, but I do hope it doesn't disappoint. What I do, I do for my kin."

Martin leaned forward at that, and filled his Lancer's tumbler back up, and returned to where he'd been. "Now.. Before we begin to talk tactics, you mentioned before something regarding a twist to the tale." He tilted his head slightly, looking the man over. A cassock wasn't exactly inconspicuous, but he thought it would work well enough. Sao Paulo was a bustling city, and he was sure there'd be plenty of reason for a Priest to take to the streets. "There isn't much food here in the house, and I'm famished. I'll hear of this twist over a bite to eat, if you'd ride with me."

The Overseer turned her head as an accented voice called out. She was not entirely sure how but it was wounding to look away from the darling little cult leader. Her sharp glare landed on the one member of the haphazard harem to acknowledge her existence, and perhaps, the only one truly aware of where they were. She immediately corrected herself on that assessment. She most certainly was not part of that group. Studious, cautious eyes ran over the speaker's attire. Even as she listened to what the woman had to say and stacked guesses on her origins in her mind, she found herself glancing back towards the larger group, seemingly still expecting some kind of reply from the unnamed cleric. The mysterious conductor, however, had clearly set himself to other business with his enraptured company. A deeper, instinctual part of her found her sudden fascination utterly disgusting, sensing some unidentifiable affront to her personal agency. Queasy, enchanted frustration played unevenly on the Overseer's brow before she finally gave up and faced her other company.

Goofball? She smirked at the word, innocently out of date but not too anachronistic. So this was the Master? It was a silly assumption for a situation she suddenly found quite amusing, but then the woman raised the back of her hand, and though the gesture may have been wholly symbolic the Overseer immediately felt, in her own marked body, the presence of a declared Command Seal. She let go of her crozier, the beautiful relic standing balanced on its lonesome as she clasped her hands together. She chuckled softly, unclasping one of her own gloves and pulling the long black cover off of what would have been delicate, pale skin. Her revealed hand squirmed with darkened stigmata, wine colored, eldritch splotches. Countless in number, arranged in an anarchy of half patterns and stray sigils, the medley of disowned Seals appeared to convulse and writhe across the wearer's skin, far up under her sleeves, until she brought her hand up into plain sight. The light revealed them for what they were: Simple markings, and all as deathly still as the wayward lives they once represented. The others had more or less distanced themselves, she was free to speak.

"You have found your way, Magus, to the one place in this world that yet offers you salvation. Though privacy, I fear, may be a boon lost to your kind," She waved her ungloved hand aside, indicating the swarming shadows and the city lights poking through windows above them.

"Your peers watch this place greedily, hungry to fill their lives with vicarious revelry for a war they've no longer the right to wage." Her fist clenched around her staff, drawing it back to rest against her side. "Though I imagine some of those fortunate enough to be part of this conflict will also spy upon these grounds. If you choose to do the same I've no right to stop you... But this is neutral ground, and violence here will not go unpunished."

A gape of mild surprise cut the Overseer's face. How silly, to forget.

"Ah, excuse me. To speak more of your rights, this is also the building where you may surrender yourself if you so choose." Her voice wavered, distaste for the subject practically dripping from the woman's dark tone. "I assure you, 'tis no mercy you do the others by self-denial. Though, if mercy for yourself is your wish you will find this place an inviolable fortress to house both the defeated and the cowardly."

The toxic mirth upon her face only deepened, the same glimmer of sharp teeth she'd greeted them all with shining again as she teetered on the edge of laughter. "I can't imagine someone capable of summoning a Servant being cowed before the war even begins, forgive the insult I do your struggle in such crass presumptions." She drew back, ankles crossing as she bent into a fanciful bow. "And last there is the right you share with six others. Have you come to see the Grail, dear lamb, or merely to acquaint yourself?"

So the stars and moon of this foreign landscape was misaligned after all, its secrets hidden by the haze of lightning-light. A mistake on his part then, to assume that heaven remained the same, regardless of which point upon the world one was standing on. There went the initial cover, of a new shepherd leading his flock to holy ground so they may listen to the word of God.

Dark brown eyes caught the unnatural sharpness of the woman in holy vestements, but it was his Master that stole the march on him, and with a small smile, Yarankash backed off, giving the two women the space they needed to continue their conversation. Truly a sight for ancient eyes. For both Overseer and Master to be of the fairer sex. His eyes lingered there for a glance longer, before the Assassin turned to his flock, flipped through his encyclopedic knowledge of the Cathedral, and prepared to entertain.

An apology, a joke, and then a smile, to disarm any grievances of arriving too late for any real sacred enjoyment. Choice lines plucked from scripture, stories of old, and a wink, to keep them all interested, engaged. Some asked questions. Some fluttered their eyelashes. Some got closer than he was comfortable with, perfumed skin broken down into individual ingredients by his heightened senses.

But at no point was he overwhelmed.

At no point did his sixth sense, his almost psychic connection with his Master, break.

But at the mention of the Holy Grail, the relic from which the Son of God drank, the treasure sought of by thousands of Crusading knights, by saints and sinners, kings and slaves alike, he could do naught but turn.
@Epsir @MechanicalHorse

She took in the woman's body language, the smooth motion in which she moved, spoke, everything seemed calculated. Religions of the west were something she had never been privy to until her moving to Europe, but the churches and cathedrals of Spain, France, Romania and the like had usually led her to meetings with kindly old men and women eager to smile and deliver a gentle handshake or maybe even a hug from the more friendly nuns. This woman did not give her any such pleasant sensations. But to be the mediator of a conflict of something like this, there had to be something strong, if not outright dangerous to you, Yukari thought. As the woman revealed her marked hand, looking like a victim of some form of abuse or botched tattoo work, it struck Yukari what the marks were, and what they most likely signified. At least this was who she had come here to see, so she and her Servant had managed to complete the first quest of this game and they hadn't died yet. Go team.

This encounter was surely giving her a taste of things to come in her meetings with her rival magii, and she wasn't liking how it tasted. She had met people like this woman within the Organization, but those were the people she did her best to steer clear of. The cryptic remarks in an already cryptic situation made her brow twitch for the briefest of moments but she pressed on, listening to the woman continue to speak. She wondered if she was the only one in her particular situation, and she likely was - a mage in over her head, facing off against practiced magii who already had a strategy to take down every one of their rivals while she was still trying to get her bearings straight. Her grandfather had thankfully instilled the instinct to spite life when life got difficult, to continue on in the face adversity as a middle finger to the struggle itself.

This bitch, Yukari thought with an all too apparent glare in her eyes, the brief flash of irritation and anger vanishing as quickly as it had appeared. She had no intents on surrendering. If she had come this far with her broken body, how could she give up? She was in this to bring glory back to her name, and to back out already despite the terror, the risk of death, would bring her nothing but shame, and end the Kamei family legacy on the spot with the final footnote being that it was a family of cowards.

As the woman seemed to excuse her words, Yukari offered her own bow and a smile, as if this conversation had been a pleasant one instead of wholly mystifying and irritating to the young woman. Why was she so irritated anyway? Assassin had done too good of a job putting her at ease despite the situation she found herself in. There was no friendliness or mincing words with a true smile from this woman. She merely spoke the truth of the situation, and Yukari unsurprisingly didn't like it.

"I've no intent in giving up this early, you're right. And I've no intent to sit around skulking in the dark like a coward to get someone unawares here..." Even if that's what my Servant is meant for. "... I just wanted to get a feel for the situation. It's a lot to take in, and I don't quite have my mind wrapped around every bit of it. I'm on autopilot right now, Sister, so let's hope I don't crash," she said, her irritation ebbing away as she was finally allowed to speak instead of listen to the unpleasant reality of the War at hand.

The Holy Grail. The first time she had heard the term that she could recall was upon her induction into the organization, from the ramblings of its leader. As the Overseer presented her offer, Yukari spared a glance towards her Servant, hoping her eyes met his with her glance. It was a brief look, before she looked back towards the woman and nodded slowly. "Both. If we're allowed to see the grand prize, I wouldn't mind taking a look."

"Is that so?"

The Overseer nodded her head, smiling in content as the Master explained herself. "I am sure your Servant is as pleased as I to hear that you intend to quest for the Grail." The Sister also looked back towards Assassin, noting the renewed attention their conversation had earned. Of course, those who did not burn with desire for the Grail could not appear here. Those without want couldn't have the heart to suffer as seekers of the Grail must.

"It is only natural to feel ill at ease when one's life is at stake. Risk, anxiety, tribulation... Are not things that one ever stops feeling, we simply learn to live through them as one learns not to flounder in harsh waters. I should think that you are in good company at least."

Her jolliness paired poorly with the images of lost lives marring her skin. "None who fought for a false grail yet live, none who participated in such frivolous wars bring their experience here. All for the better, I am lead to believe, as it was those heretics confident in their ability and complacent in the face of a 'duel between magi' that wrought such horrible destruction in the past. Our war shall be different."

"Enough rumination. Take heart, were this not a challenge for you you would not be fit to stand here. Let us go and bear witness... If you have any concern for your guests you may wish to leave them uninvolved. Be they partners? Shields? None on this Earth may yet judge you while you struggle, mind, least of all myself. Call it idle curiosity."

The Overseer turned away, tugging her delicate glove back on and striding back into the the murky heart of the cathedral. Even the bright color of her hair became an indistinct gray within the dark. Only the ivory glow of the archbishop's staff seemed to go untouched, the glimmering rod of white and gold the easiest thing to follow on the way to the altar. It lead the way around to a recessed staircase, the warm light emanating from the downward spiral cordoned off from the rest of the interior both by placement and by the selection of "Closed for Restoration" signs laid about its front. The Overseer gingerly pushed them aside, unlatching a rope between the two to allow herself access before descending the stairs.

The crypt of the Cathedral was a lavishly prepared place, its tiled floor styled in flat patterns of black and white, illuminated in stark realism by the orange glow of chandeliers overhead. The room looked for all the world like a smaller version of the one overhead, only secluded from all the world by its complete lack of windows. Marble sculptures lined the walls between tombs and branching doorways. A cut-down selection of black pews lined the aisle up to the crypt's own altar, a space that had been usurped by a lustrous chalice, wrought in unblemished, luminous gold. It's surface went unmarred by gaudy embellishments, its sole decoration the delicate engravings of a goldsmith long lost to time.

An unassuming grail, notable, if for anything, for the subtlety of its decoration or merely for the worth of its material. And yet that reserved form burned. Like the hottest flame its energy radiated across the room, a tingle on the skin that forebode the spiritually scorching sensation of approaching its polished surface. The tumult that fluttered through the leylines of São Paulo, the pressure that hung in the air of the cathedral: To look upon it was to recognize the source. And yet it lacked. The Grail that had called them, the Masters and their grand Familiars, had called in visions and voices with every faculty the longing vessel could muster. The cup before them did not cry through its mystical connection to its seekers, before them it was silent. The Overseer, one never chosen, could not know. The robed woman marched the aisle, approaching no further than the first row and planting her staff beside her as she stopped: Going further was permitted to none.

"Perhaps to see it will center your doubtful mind, First Master. If morality proves difficult to discern, in this one affair alone: To know the material reason that you fight is also to know what, spiritually, you struggle for. This is the Holy Grail, and to claim it will be justice."

The massive hound stared into the Servant's eyes for quite some time. Her own eyes gleamed with a certain quiet desperation, as if she were trying to convey something through sheer force of will. There was something decidedly human about her gaze, some indescribable characteristic. It certainly wasn't a physical trait, as the crimson eyes flickered with a ghostly iridescence that denied any possibility of a normal existence. No, the humanity in Lleyse was something that couldn't be named, some scrap of life and logic that smoldered with a pain and frustration that none could know.

'Surely he must see it. Surely, surely.'

As Archer ran his hands through her fur, Lleyse stretched and rose to her feet. She tilted her head slightly to the side as the Servant suggested they go for a walk. Again, the crimson eyes peered at him for a moment. The great hound trod slowly across the floor, her claws clicking against the floor, and came to a stop by Seth's bed. The boy was sleeping peacefully, evidently quite exhausted. Lleyse nuzzled his hand lightly for a moment before turning back to Sun Tzu. The hound looked at him and dipped her head, as if nodding. She then took a step toward the door.

'As long as he's safe... Safe, safe.'

As Lleyse stepped, her fur seemed to flare up. Inky flames lapped out for a moment, distorting the shape of the hound. In an instant, they withdrew to a much smaller size. As the flames subsided, a small, black pug sat on the floor of the hotel room. In her unassuming disguise, she was less likely to attract curious eyes. The small dog followed along behind Sun Tzu. Perhaps the Servant was right. Maybe some fresh air would help ease her mind. Regardless, she was curious about their heroic companion. There was still a great deal to learn about him, and likely much more to learn from him. He could help Seth. Definitely. With his help they could move forward. With his help they would correct the mistakes of the past. With one last look back at Seth, Lleyse followed Archer out of the hotel room.

'Definitely, definitely. He can help. Just... need to win the Grail.'

It was a glance that meant an eternity to him, and with a couple sweet nothings, he sent the rest of the congregation off, promising to encounter them once more, perhaps on a bright Sunday morning. Perhaps he'd spend the night with one of them, if they encountered each other again, but in the face of being able to see the most coveted relic of Christianity, the desires of the flesh paled.

Only when the Cathedral was devoid of vapid effeminacy did Yarankash turn to follow his Master and his Overseer, a true shadow lingering behind the two of them. Warm and musky, but the age did not compare to the catacombs beneath Aleppo, and even this was novel in a way, construction techniques much different from anything he had witnessed before. If it was another time, the fair youth would have found his eyes drawn in every which direction, but his warm eyes were focused to a razor sharpness this time.

Down, down, down. Lower, lower, lower, until spiralled stone gave away to a well maintained altar, befitting of a place meant for the Lesser Grail. His existence as a Servant alone was enough to elucidate the authenticity of the object before him. Beautiful. Thrumming with the power of dragon veins, yet now empty of the wish-granting power that had been split seven ways for each Servant. His prana-consuming heart beat a touch faster. The prize desired by the holy, the wine-bearing vessel that promised salvation from this sin-laden world. The golden rim in which the lips of the Son of God touched. His fingers twitched then, a flicker of pain entering and leaving his face.

He brought both hands behind his back, remaining by the staircase.

A paradise forever out of reach for himself, consigned to a dream-like purgatory in which to live out his earthly life and his earthly mistakes over and over again.

"To claim it by force is no justice, Sister," he spoke softly, "But to safeguard it from unrighteous hands until the day of His return is noble enough for us heretics."
@Epsir @MechanicalHorse

The woman brought to attention something she was actually quite relieved by, and for a moment she spared a look to her Servant, thinking upon it. As much brute force power as a Berserker or a Saber might give, it would have more easily presented a clashing of ideologies. Chivalry meant nothing to her, she was yakuza. But she wasn't a conniving monster... which in the end she supposed made an Assassin quite the awkward fit. But the boy... man, whatever he had been in life, he felt like a good fit. She offered the man a relieved smile, an appreciative gaze before she focused back on the continued apprehension the woman instilled in her. Every word conveyed the weight of the situation and what laid ahead, and Yukari was by now quite sick of being worried or getting a sudden stab of flight or flight instinct kicking in.

She held strong, and at least the Overseer seemed to pick up on it. Whether it was said sincerely or said condescendingly, she couldn't tell, she took the Overseer's words with a nod, listening in silence before she led Master and Servant in two down below.

She was reminded for a brief time of the Paris catacombs as they descended, how unsettling it could be even with a gaggle of tourists on all sides. But there wasn't a scent of lingering death that put Yukari off in this situation, there was something else. Maybe it was just the rising pressure she felt to perform. Her life was on the line after all for what she was about to see. As was the second life of a man who surely lived a more storied life than she ever did. She had her wish yes, but what could his be? What did this man desire most in the world? A really good party if she had to guess, that moment of light thought enough to, once again lift the fog of anxiousness from her as her feet met the landing of the lower level the Overseer had brought them to. She had expected a musty room covered in webs and dust, something unassuming to contrast the Grail. Maybe that was just an Eastern way of thinking. The opulence felt fitting, like the final gauntlet to a prize, or a final enemy. Ahead of it there it stood, and for a moment Yukari was instantly taken with it.

The Holy Grail. She had not been raised with any practice that taught her of the life of Jesus, but she had learned about it later in life, from her grandfather's teaching of the world beyond Japan. A glance to her Servant upon this reveal told her of the weight it held to someone who was well aware of the man's life and teachings, and the reverence with which he spoke upon viewing it took her off guard, after hearing such lightihearted gaiety from him up to now. It helped further instill just how important this was to her. The Overseer was quite right in what she said - Yukari certainly felt centered. In her weaker hand, mana helped fuel rolling fingers and a clenched fist for a brief moment, before she pushed her hand back into a pocket as she so often did. And she was sure she imagined it, given the heavy situation she felt she was in now, but she could swear she could feel a pulse of heat from the seal at the back of her other hand as her gaze lingered on the item before her.

Her Servant made vocal how she felt about the situation. But she had partaken in an act of vengeance in her youth. Something she had felt justice in. To kill for her ideals and for her wishes, something this man before her had to wrestle with as well, and most likely had in his previous life... could she kill for that? Unlike the murders she assisted in in an act of rage, of vengeance? Were her wishes stronger than her anger? Would she grow to hate and wish death upon someone she met in the coming days?

More heavy thoughts she tried to push away with a heavy exhalation, her head lowered for a moment before she lifted it, to gaze at the Overseer. "What he said," she said, mostly to herself, but with her eyes still lingering on the woman before her. "I and he thank you for the opportunity for this. To see it. ... have you partaken in something like this before?" She asked, unable to parse from her previous words if she spoke with any familiarity firsthand, or through texts or word of mouth. "I wouldn't be much of a Master if I asked you what my next step was... but I guess all it is now is wait and see... or to begin the hunt."

Lleyse was definitely more interesting than any servant could be, at least by Sun Tzu's estimate. The next couple of hours were mainly silent, as Sun Tzu traversed the roads and alleys in the nearby area, always making sure not to stray far, and even going back over the same routes, again, and again. During this time, Sun Tzu watched Lleyse almost as much as he watched the surrounding area. It hadn't taken long, but Sun Tzu was confident he understood much of Lleyse. Even as a hound, Sun Tzu could see the passion and intensity that hid behind eyes, even in her current unassuming pug form.

The air was much too warm for Sun Tzu. It seemed to cling to him, and was definitely not the climate he was used to. He could tell he very much was in some sort of jungle-like climate, though. Probably his least favorite. Clothes became like nets as they stuck and tangled against the wearer, the more drenched they became in sweat. Thankfully, the nighttime air wasn't nearly as humid as during the day. Sun Tzu would have to acquire more adequate clothing.

The few souls they met, walking around the area, were definitely as varied as one would expect, being a major metropolitan area located on the coast, and from what Sun Tzu knew of Brazil, the country was home to many different types of people. The styles of garb ranged from impoverished to flamboyantly eye-catching. Sun Tzu's own garb, his robes and hair style, drew their own attention, however not much longer than a few minutes.

After finally getting back on a route that led back to the hotel, Sun Tzu slowed his brisk walk to a more gentle one. He had learned much about the city, just from a little walk. He was satisfied for now, but couldn't contain a little bit of excitement for what he would learn tomorrow with Seth.

As the duo continued on, Sun Tzu glanced down at Lleyse, "I had a boy, too, once." Sun Tzu spoke softly, returning his eyes to the path before the duo, "He shared many similarities with your's." Sun Tzu allowed silence to fall as the pair continued to walk.

"It would be foolish of me to promise you that Seth will win this War, or that I could deliver the victory for him." Sun Tzu spoke once more, now looking back down at his walking companion. For a moment, Sun Tzu opened his mouth, to finish his thought that he started, but after a moment he closed his mouth. Now his eyes turning back, focusing on the building that Seth was staying in, "I am excited to see what Seth takes me to do tomorrow. I suspect, before this is over, that this will be just as much as a experience as it will be for Seth."

AKISE MOTOYO

If there was anything, it was to the fact that he knew that the church was a neutral territory. Nor Master or Servant could fight there. For him, that was a positive outcome. They could see the cathedral. However, not being a Servant, he couldn't really sense much of anything inside. Both Akise and his Servant was a good distance away.

Close enough to see, but far enough to hide, hopefully. "Hmm.." A thought crossed his mind. His smile unwavered. His attention fixated at Rider next.

"Alright.. You should stay put. I'd rather keep you at arms length unless I need any assistance." Turning away, he looked back at the cathedral. From their point of view, they had quite the vantage point.

"I'll be heading inside to have a conversation with the Overseer. I'm sure I'll meet some interesting people there as well.. With my shared perception, you should be able to see inside as well."

Before his Servant could say anything, Akise continued. "Yes yes.. I'll be just fine. Stay here for now, Rider." His back was now against his partner. It was time to approach the church.

Finally after minutes, he was by the entrance. At the very best, he would try to obtain as much information as possible. Tilting his face to the side, from the corner of his golden eyes, he gazed in the direction of his Servant, before entering. Now that he was inside, he looked around, but no one was there.

Walking deeper inside, he raised his voice, to see if anyone would approach the redheaded Master. "Anyone here?"

@Epsir @CasketCase

Lleyse followed behind Archer, going mostly unnoticed by passersby as they traversed the streets of the unfamiliar city. The quiet streets they walked seemed an isolated refuge, as the sounds of the city's nightlife could be heard echoing in every direction. Occasionally, the nocturnal celebration spilled out into the alleyways. These few souls seemed friendly enough, though Lleyse was a bit hesitant when a drunken tourist tried to pat her head, slurring shoddy Portuguese at Archer in what seemed a sincere request for permission to do so. Even these few oddities painted a rather interesting picture of the city's social mosaic. Even more interesting than the sights, though, were the smells.

Lleyse's nose picked up on a myriad of different scents mingling in the air. Of course there was the typical miasma of debauchery: alcohol, sweat, and a touch of vomit. There was also the vague smell of the sea, despite the distance. The tempting smell of the local cuisine hung heavy in the air as well, a sort of torture for one who was no longer capable of enjoying a decent meal. There were more important smells, though. Smells that seemed utterly alien, out of place. It was difficult to make out specifics without knowing exactly what to look for, but the scent of residual magical energy made Lleyse more than a bit nervous.

'Oh dear... Already begun then? Perhaps, perhaps... though perhaps not.'

When Sun Tzu spoke, it almost caught her off guard. The simmering eyes met with Arhcer's as he spoke of his own child. No words could be spoken, but an understanding was certainly conveyed. The Servant spoke earnestly about the uncertain nature of their fate. As he did, Lleyse trotted in front of him, looking back into his eyes with an utter seriousness.

'I understand. No promises. Otherwise would be worrying.'

How frustrating it was to not be able to explain herself. Still, she understood, and she hoped the Servant before her did as well.

'Still. Our trust is in you. Trust. My trust is in you.'

She stared at Archer for a moment, but then brought her gaze slowly to the window of Seth's room. Magus or not, it was cruel to put a child into such a dangerous conflict. Sun Tzu's words reassured her though. It was cruel, there was no getting around that, but it was the situation Seth had chosen. Child or no, he would rise to the task, even if he himself would never believe such a thing.

Lleyse looked to the Heroic Spirit again, her eyes cooling for a moment. She let out a hopeful bark that rebounded from the brick walls around them.

The Overseer gradually pulled herself away from the Grail's gilded charm, turning slowly back to the two as the Servant spoke. Her head cocked aside at the sight of him, standing far back by the staircase. As if expecting something? Amusement lit her face after she had turned away from the Grail's light.

"One can hardly call you heretical with such aims. Perhaps it is providence, that a ritual born without the taint of Magus upon it has called to more gracious Servants than generations past."

Her voice lilted along, even a Sister's discipline not quite enough to stomach the show of virtues taking place without an oily laugh. She reached out towards her crozier, pulling it back to her side as their distraction began to conclude. Perhaps the other Masters would seek to see their prize early as well, and the ceremony would repeat. Perhaps not. The decorum and tension slowly melted out of the Overseer, the woman pacing a furtive step towards the guests and just beginning to crook an arm and point the way out when Yukari's question stopped her. Her lips pursed painfully, golden eyes flicking lifelessly over to the Magus.

"Unfortunately I cannot say so, though I should think none have partaken in a war such as this. I once beheld witnesses of the third Fuyuki ritual, broken to a man. By Grace I did not walk the Earth until long after it was over. Ah," She looked upwards into the ceiling, head turning towards the entrance of the church. Sharp teeth bared themselves all over again as she absconded from the topic with reckless abandon.

"Guests."

"I must attend to this, I'm sure you understand," She bowed curtly to Servant and Master. "It would seem the hunt has come to you, First Master. Make yourself scarce, or come banter with the opposition I suppose. They will be kept civil, and I hope I do not presume too much from your bearing that you will conduct yourselves... As rule demands."

The Overseer turned away from them, lifting her staff from the ground and gingerly tapping it along the stones at her feet. She whispered softly to the inscribed instrument, calling to its nature and receiving a low, piercing wail from its twisted body. The wood and gold coiled free of itself, diminishing into wispy tendrils of foggy light that slowly enveloped the Overseer's body. She called to its function, and in unison the tortured implement called back.

RhEIBET

The image of the Overseer and her staff blew away, scattered into faintly glimmering particulate as if there had been only a man high pile of ash where flesh and blood had just spoke.

As Akise strode through the open doors of the Cathedral the air about him rippled, a light mental chime alerting the intruder and the keeper alike that someone had pierced the grounds' protective Bounded Field. Despite the alarm being tripped in such a flagrant way... Nothing happened within the darkened chamber. Something shrieked deeper into the building, muffled by layers of stone and lasting less than a second, but the unmistakable sound of many voices in panic. The wind gusted through the open door, tapestries and dust fluttering erratically as the breeze continued. Metal clanked in the periphery, followed by footsteps. The Overseer emerged from the darkness of the Cathedral as she had done before.

"Indeed, you have found the keeper of the grounds... Magus."
She called out to the redhead, though the metallic clink of her movements gave her away long before she decided to speak.

This one was a alone, a fact that suddenly felt very refreshing as her mind turned back to the unsightly gaggle dragged into her abode as human shields just minutes prior. There was no need to pretense, although there was also no guarantee that she spoke to a Master.

"Fret not, all walks of life are welcome to the house of the Lord, your nature shan't see you ostracized here. In fact I should think you most welcome, should you come here to seek the Grail."

She stopped a respectful distance away from the man, same-colored eyes locking as she anticipated his reply. It was not unheard of for strays to wander too close to Holy Ground, detestable healers come to pilfer saint's ashes or worse from the reliquary. Something about the one in front of her felt different though, and if her previous encounter with a Master was worth making any assumptions over it was that they were most certainly the sort of people to carry an air of eccentricity. There was, however, one problem. The one in front of her was unaccompanied. She looked over his shoulders, wondering what lurked in the streets outside. An Archer upon a roof, kilometers away? Sinister, stealthy Assassin?

"Perhaps not. It is usually the mark of a Master to possess a Servant. State your purpose if you will, lost lamb."

@MechanicalHorse @ERode @Akashi @CasketCase

"Yeesh," a voice sounded behind the Overseer, "Don't cut the subject short just cause someone else showed up, Lady Overseer!"

Emerging from the shadows of an adjacent hallway, a fair youth jogged up to meet up with the two. His long hair, bound tightly back, and his shirt, the top two buttons unbuttoned, made the faintly European man appear to be quite the social animal, the sort of person one would see in both fancy restaurants and debauched taverns. His posture was lax, easy going despite the implications of such a late night visit, while his right hand, though pocketed, had a trace of scarlet peeking out.

From that alone, it was clear that he was a Master, and an overconfident one at that.

Though it lingered on the womanly Overseer first, those warm, dark eyes eventually strayed towards the red headed that had intruded upon consecrated ground with his heretical arts.

"Sup dude," he said, sticking out a hand, "You stuck in this war too?"
@Akashi @Epsir

There was a soft mutter of something in her native tongue when the woman vanished into nothingness following the show of magecraft. Even in the Organization open showings of magic were fairly rare, at least among the rank and file she found herself surrounded by. She was shaken by such a showing, almost as much as the summoning earlier in the night had taken her off guard. But she couldn't allow herself to be surprised or uneasy about this small showing when the more pressing matter was presented to her - that of another pair having made themselves known. They were in the vicinity, and while her senses, weak without her talismans in place, didn't let her sense them outright the Sister had done her a solid and let her know.

Combat would not take place in the church, there was that solace, but no such solace extended to beyond the church, and she had just made a showing of taking to this war as best she could, not curling up in a church until everything was settled. When she had spared a look back towards her Servant, he was gone, but she had a faint idea of what he was up to thanks to the link they shared mentally. She hoped that despite this link, he wasn't able to sense the roller coaster of unease into confidence into unease again she'd been the entire night.

Let her Assassin do the work as he was meant to - while she made herself as scarce as she could. Open battle was not even a question to be asked with her, she would die, or she'd die trying to fight back. The zero sum game of it all made it easy for her to move surprisingly fast, small flares of mana coursing through her nerves to combat the degeneration in her body, and to make her move a little bit faster up those stairs. She had no interest in bantering or making friends in this. She was away from home and wanted to be back among the new friends she had made, but she couldn't, not until this all was settled.

Once she reached the ground floor, she let as much mana as she could slip away from those nerves, even if it brought her limp back, and weakened her vision. Hoping she had not been sensed, she stucked to the shadows as best she could, crawling among pews and feeling terribly silly about it the entire time. There were voices, male, the Overseers, and from as safe a corner as she could find, her raven hair aiding in her hiding, she peeked. She had no interest in banter, but that didn't mean she had no interest in scoping out the competition.

AKISE MOTOYO
It was only a matter of time before his presence would be known within the Cathedral. A few moments later, the Overseer showed up, asking Akise simple yet straightforward questions. However, a smirk was plastered on his face in the process. He didn't expect anything less from someone like the Overseer herself.

"Yes, I am not a lost lamb, no. I seek the Holy Grail like many others." Extending his hands, arms to the side, he glanced about in the area, before dropping them down. It did not take long before another voice could be heard from behind the Overseer. Looking over her shoulders, Akise's golden eyes squinted ever so slightly.

Someone else was there, but again, it was expected. A reason for why Akise ever did enter the Cathedral was to hopefully see other Masters like himself and perhaps even a Servant or two. His hunch was correct when the stranger was enthusiastic as ever, extending his hand to greet the redhead.

Obviously, his eyes glanced over in the direction of his hand that was pocketed. Like Akise, he too, had his command seals at the back of his hand. "Yes, indeed." Shaking his hand in return, he continued. "Stuck in this war like you, I suppose." A rhetorical question escaped his lips, but he took a pause, giving the stranger a chance to respond.

"I would assume that--" Akise nodded towards the woman. "Is the Overseer?" He rhetorically asked again.

@Epsir @ERode

Martin's House

Far enough from São Paulo, the skyline actually opened up. It was a beautiful break from the gray congestion of the city, a wealthy, green suburban zone with lit sidewalks and only modest road traffic. A man befitting such relaxed surroundings strode, hunched down the sidewalk. Gruff hands were forced into the pockets of his cargo shorts, occasionally withdrawing one to glance at the modest looking watch across his wrist. Something in him died every time he did, invariably there was some kid with their fucking phone out skateboarding by or at least the thought of one plaguing his sense of modernity. An entire day of hopping around the city in the bowels of a helicopter didn't exactly make for jet lag but there was the unavoidable feeling that his legs were made of gelatin to contend with. This was his break though, the final, beautiful excuse to shirk duty that came from nothing more than blind luck. Who would have thought that a burnt out relic would point them to the genuine article?

"We're getting close, wake up." He grumbled to himself, turning off the sidewalk and up the driveway of an unassuming residence. There was no reply. He fumbled in his pocket, stooping lower, like any other drunk desperately trying to find their keys on the way home from a night of typical tourist distractions. Ankle length boots stopped on the porch as he sized up the door, glancing towards the kitchen windows before the flash of something truly brilliant stole away his night vision. Colors swam endlessly as a sound like a jet engine blotted out the distant drone of the city.

Within, the ritual took hold at Martin's command, spurred on by the power of the Grail and activated by the will of the man chanting over the saint's cloth. Pale blue light struck out from the center of the summoning circle, enveloping the bolt of ragged cloth laid out as catalyst in a radiant, growing cocoon. The air grew disturbed, currents of wind eddying around the glowing glyphs and lashing out in a wild tempest. Loose objects through the chamber ricocheted around, driven by the gale force winds shaking the doors in their frames. The growing web of light burst outward, wavering like a blue flame as its filled into limbs and substance. The container took shape, evoked by the call of a Master and sustained as a spirit was plucked from the heavens. Force akin to magic called to the Ring, and from it a fragment of Legend was torn. Bright light filled the room, the crack of thunder rocking the suburban home on its foundation as one of mankind's heroes was adapted to fit the form of a mere familiar. A beautiful process, for the unabashed greed it was born of. Something sputtered. The flow broke. The blue light dancing before Martin Urias Holcomb twisted in on itself, the shape of a man at the center warping into a fiery void where once catalyst and stability laid the framework for incarnation. The Container did not move, it did not yet feel. The winds of creation shuddered to a stop, the howling of magic unleashed fading to eerie silence as the burning effigy stood on its own in the failed summoning circle. The ether-light comprising the aborted shape stood on its own, material slumping as arcs of excited prana danced from its slowly bending appendages. Like a clay man left unfinished, it stared, featureless at the man who made it be. Stillness settled in, chunks of the weave dripping from the body to the floor.

São Paulo Metropolitan Cathedral

The Overseer's face scrunched with displeasure as a voice called from behind her, a look of soft anguish that continued as the Master she had just been talking to strode past her to shake the hand of the newcomer. They were awfully chummy these days, it would almost be strange to imagine that this was the same conflict that laid waste to an entire city and then some. It was indeed branded as a different war now. She found herself smiling all over again as their small talk ended, a discourteous nod thrown in her direction.

"Yes, indeed, this is the Overseer. Pray, forgive me, 'tis only habit to introduce the faith and its grounds before myself, but in this incident it is true that my identity is of significance... At least to those who must call upon me as an ensurer of the neutral ground. On which you stand, I suppose I should make clear." She smiled brightly to the facing Masters, not that either seemed to have a Servant accompanying them. If man had proven anything, it was that he did not need his finest weapons at hand to resort to violence. Her hands clasped at her waist, wringing softly as she watched the scene unfold.

"It is well that you seek the Grail, as I assume that means I will not be accepting your surrender today. The conversation that I have... Just cut short," She spared a glance to the suave seeming, dark haired Master, "Took place before the grail. I cannot permit you to leave with it of course." A wry grin. "But you've every right to come and see your prize if you so choose."

"That's unfortunate news because I'm quite keen on leaving with it." A dry, accented voice forced its way in.

A knuckle rapped swiftly across the opened doors, the speaker taking the time to announce her presence even after she'd cut into their conversation. Sharp heels clicked over the floor as a woman doused in black fabrics emerged from the entrance. Despite the summer heat her imposing coat hung around her knees, its high collar surrounding her neck and nearly concealing the only sign of brightness on her person, the starched white collar of her blouse. Grey eyes glared from behind the monochrome intruder's spectacles, a sour look on her face before she'd even introduced herself. Gloves hid her hands, but there was no need to formally identify her as a Master. This was one of the other unfortunates chosen to do battle in São Paulo.

The barrier shook behind her, as it did for the rest of the Magi. From a dark corner beyond the altar a wisp of shadow sprang, carried on four legs and skittering between the occupants of the room as it ran to its master. Gleeful chittering escaped the shadowshape's jagged maw, its smokelike body coiling near the black dress shoes now perched on sacred ground.

"Nevermind. This is great, actually," She remarked, head cocking aside at the two men standing apart from the obvious member of the clergy. Masters, by the look of them. The Servants she knew of didn't dress like sane people. "You might even live another day, Sister. If I can tell the surviving Masters what their lot is without having to lurk here all day and night we can just be done with this unpleasantness. Just you two gentlemen, correct?"

Her smile was drawn and tense as she turned away from the congregation, drawing the heavy double doors of the Cathedral shut behind her before stepping down to the floor proper. "I understand that this intrusion may be a bit jarring as it is only the first night to see all seven Servants summoned, and I will duly afford you a few moments of time to mull over what you are being informed of."

"Ah, since they don't appear to be here, feel free to call out your Servants, since they've a right to know... Unless you're the fellow who parked his on the roof outside. Negotiations are underway with her." She reached into her coat and produced a dainty handgun, gunmetal nearly invisible in the church's dusky interior. Very carefully, she turned the piece in her hands and press checked the weapon, timidly pulling back the slide until brass winked reassuringly up at her. It rested harmlessly at her side. "In case the tension proves too much to bear."

"There will be no Grail War. The Lesser Grail tucked away in this place by this thug and her associates is to be returned to the community of Magi, where it belongs. Some of your colleagues have had difficulty disciplining their Servants along this line of thought but I assume two things, since it is the first day you must have command seals to deal with this issue, and since we are all mages here I assume we can all reach some level of understanding that we have in common that we are adversaries of the Church, if nothing else." She stopped to catch her breath, the Overseer across from her stiffening as the silence dragged on. The Sister seemed finally ready to spoke before her adversary put one last bid in.

"We can all overlook personal pride to snub the scheming of a common enemy, correct?"

"Stuck? That's pretty fatalistic, ain't it?" Yarankash laughed, noting the uncommon strength beneath that grip. Uncommon for a human, inadequate for a Servant. How unlucky. "I'd like to think that I chose this for myself. Could always have just cut off my hand and crawled into a hole if I didn't have the balls to join in on this royale, mm? Guessing you're the same type, rather than a chump that faceplanted into this whole shebang."

The usual exchange repeated itself from the Overseer, the only difference being the arrival of a third, a lady in mourning who clearly had other, more ambitious plans. Imposing. Queenly. The storm gray eyes of a woman who had kissed power and had no intention of letting go. The disdain and confidence that came from one who saw the three already in the cathedral, and dismissed them all as lesser beings.

The type of woman the atabeg enjoyed breaking.

A gun, casually revealed, threatening violence in a burst of godless flame. The shadow-beast too, was a threat, no doubt a manifestation of her Servant's capabilities. Dangerous. So dangerous. Caster? Rider? Or her own magecraft?

He hoped it was her own magecraft, as the fair youth listened attentively, eyes sparking with an intelligence that was only just below her own. So that she knew he could understand her words, see the wisdom behind such a peaceful, swift end to this unstable Grail War. So that she knew he was not truly devious enough to outwit her, to plot behind her back.

"Adversaries of the Church indeed," Yarankash spoke, taking a few steps away from the Overseer to align himself with this newcomer woman. "Though I did have plans to play by the rules here, if there is a method of reaching the Root without spilling my own blood, well…it would be an honor to follow the methodology an elite mage."

His dark eyes flickered in the general direction of the Sister…

"No hard feelings, mm, Lady Overseer?"

…to the shadows where his Master laid, watching.

Who shall I kill, Master?
@MechanicalHorse

Darkness.

The darkness came first, an infinitude of sheer black. No identity, no coherent thought process, could survive in such a place... and yet.

The first thought, the first flicker of life is this endless void, was the image of a spear. It was viewed from far off, as if the observer were not even present, but merely recalling some long lost memory. The spear, unfortunately, did not belong to the unfortunate soul currently picturing it. The next images were quick flashes.

A Cross.
A Hill.
Blood.

Next a stream of words in a thousand voices. They sounded like hymns. The word "redemption" was certainly said at some point. But the noise was swelling painfully.

HOLY.HOLY.HOLY.

The words hammered away in the void.

HOLY.HOLY.HOLY.

The cross. The Hill. The Spear.

For some reason they filled him with disgust. Not that he knew why. He didn't even know who he was... or what he was, for that matter.

The noise grew even louder.

HOLY.HOLY.HOLY.

The cross. The Hill. The Spear. The Cross. The Hill. The Spear. The Cross. The Hill. The Spear. The Spear. The Spear.

Suddenly the voices turned to a shrill screech. The image of the spear flashed again and again. The voices became warped. The spear was suddenly torn asunder.

Utter silence.

"Hello?"

He called out to the dark. The unidentifiable disgusts still bubbled in his belly.

In the distance, a faint voice, one calling out for some noble warrior, some bearer of a great burden.

SAINT.

The word flashed through his mind, accompanied by the hiss of flame.

SAINT?

This voice was different from the earlier ones. It was totally alien... and it seemed to be looking for something.

THE SUMMONING. TWO GATES HAVE OPENED. THE SAINT HAS BEEN LOST. THE FLOW HAS BEEN REVERSED. ANOTHER MUST FILL THE VOID.

It was definitely looking for something.

REVERSAL. CORRUPTION. SAINT. REVERSAL. HERETIC. BLASPHEMER. WRETCH.

Suddenly there was a lurching in his stomach. Fire roared in his ears. Images flashed before his mind too quickly to be registered. His mind was a jumble of incoherent chaos. The fire was deafening. A blinding light consumed everything... and suddenly he felt.

The clump of ether twisted about, the vaguely human image shuddering. Its form became distorted, a number of transparent images shifting about in layers. Edges formed and then blurred. Multicolored light flashed intermittently. Brilliant white flame and seething dark fought for supremacy over the form.

Suddenly there was a great deal of smoke. The figure was shrouded in it, and amidst the veil something occurred that shouldn't have. A Spirit was forced into a container that should not have been able to hold it.

One last spark of white light.

A figure stood amidst the wreckage of the aborted ritual. Tall and thin, clad in a relatively modern suit of dark red. Lengthy, snow white hair hung over his face before he slowly brushed it away. His eyes slowly slid around the room with a look that seemed a mix of curiosity, amusement, and utter bewilderment. Finally, they came to rest upon the only other person in the room.

Lancer peered through the smoke at the magus. The thoughts still swam wildly around his mind. He had gathered some vague details about something called a "Holy Grail War". There was also something about "Masters" and "Servants". He deduced this man was probably the former, which would make himself... right. For some reason, the title of "Servant" vaguely made him want to vomit

Lancer shrugged.

"Hello there. I think there's been a terrible mistake."

A grin slowly slid across the spirit's lips.

The roar of the energies attempting to form his servant deafened him, and the light, in turn, blinded him. As his vision cleared, and the sound abated, he was left standing before.. A living failure, shuddering and pooling in its own oozing, gooey hide. Martin stared at the abomination for a short while, and as he watched it twitch and blankly stare back, he felt all his hopes and aspirations regarding this war crumbling away beneath him. Stumbling, Martin slumped into the chair beside the workbench, eyes not daring to wander back to the.. Thing still standing stupidly amidst the ashy remains of his summoning circle. All he could think was--

That's not fair.

He stared at the empty whiskey glass, and considered pouring himself another. That, however, would require brushing past his amorphous Servant, and he wasn't sure he wanted to be any closer to it than he already was. Distantly, he felt the bounded field around the rental house shudder, as something pierced it. Someone had probably called the cops about the noise, either that or--

Gods damn it, don't tell me another Master found me already.

Ah, but what did it matter? He would simply tell them his summoning had been botched, and that he was out of the game. Assuming they didn't come in guns blazing, all he had left was to hope that they'd show him mercy for his.. Failure. The thread of sanity that was the Golden Path helped him cling to reason, instead of giving in fully to despair. He had his family to think of, and that was enough to force him into action. Another drink, and then he'd head for the sanctum of the neutral territory. And yet..

As he moved to stand up, he noted two things. First, that the command seals on his hand had never faded, and second, that the garage space was beginning to flood with more light. He turned, just in time to catch a lungful of choking smoke, and he wretched, coughing and sputtering, taking a knee. As he cleared his lungs, he cast his gaze up, revealing--

"Hello there. I think there's been a terrible mistake."

A Servant. So the ritual hadn't been botched after all. The flame in his heart promptly re-kindled itself, and after a moment, he managed to get to his feet, straightening himself. He looked the man up and down, tall, slim, clothed in red and sporting hair as white as snow. Clean cut, but he wouldn't blend in very well around here. How would he be able to explain..

"You're certainly not wrong," Martin started, and then, much more poignantly, the thought of the unwanted guest outside returned, forcefully. "And I'm not sure where to start. We may have company.. But I think they can wait, at least for a few minutes. Come, we'll have our introductions over something to drink." He had already noted the.. Mildly bewildered stare of his Servant, and he stepped out of the garage and into the kitchen, popping the fridge open and producing a pair of glass bottled beers. He popped the tops off of them, and placed one out for the red suited fellow to try. After taking a measured gulp from his own, Martin extended a steady hand. "Martin Holcomb. I'm your Master." He kept his voice low, but his gaze did not waver off the face of the man infront of him.

Last edited by a moderator: