Fate/Vagabond Ardor

It appears that our Berserker slot has eaten its third applicant, unfortunately. I talked this over with @Supremacy and we've decided to go ahead with a Berserker Servant run by me. Here's hoping for a fun team and a good time!

Mary I
Berserker

xmsqCO6.jpg

Stats:

Strength: B (C)
Endurance: E (D)
Agility: C
Magical Energy: B
Lucky: C

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Class Skills:

Mad Enhancement: D--

Normally does not receive the benefits of Mad Enhancement. What is represented is the Lady Mary rather than Mary the I, and the madness inherent to the Berserker skill has not yet fomented in the aspiring sovereign's mind. Berserker's Mad Enhancement only activates when her 'right to rule' has been challenged, such as by an attack targeting the Servant's skills and parameters. Its effects, despite being barred by conditions, are minimal: Strength receives a rank up but Endurance is greatly compromised due to the strain placed on her health by mental distress in life. Her capacity to think and speak is largely unaffected, but once she has been slighted greatly enough to enable Mad Enhancement she is the kind of person who is unable to set aside a rivalry. No challenge can go unanswered, and she must get even.

Personal Skills:

Charisma: B

The vengeful maiden that would become the Queen of England, Berserker's Charisma is undiminished and remains sufficient for a nation's leader. Even after being removed from the line of succession, in the midst of emerging from her turbulent adolescence and facing the conspiracy which would ultimately place Lady Jane Grey on the throne, Mary was a beacon which drew the support of even complete strangers and passing acquaintances. Rebellious movements she held no affiliation with demanded her legitimization, among many other things of course, and seemingly no amount of seclusion could extinguish the loyalty Mary evoked in her people. As the usurper Lady Mary her leadership and allure are at their peak, the same bloodied charisma which saw her ride into London at the head of over 800 ardent supporters to tear down the ill-fated Nine Days Queen.

Weak Constitution: A

A weakness which comes as a result of poor health. Despite being a Servant, Berserker is prone to illness and lacks resistance entirely to magical diseases. Weak Constitution ignores Strength and Endurance parameters to create a chance of failure for physical actions. With the loss of her legitimacy, Mary lost everything. Stripped of her inheritance and confined in servitude to the child which had brought on her fate, she was reminded of her revoked status by her captors and denied humanities even as simple as visiting her dying mother. Whatever short lived reconciliation occurred within the Tudors, nothing ever healed the wounds opened in her captivity. The threats of death from her immediate family, the deaths in her immediate family, and the ceaseless efforts of Protestant England to kill her faith... None could ever fully break her will, but her mental fortitude never saved her body. She withered and stressed, she grew ill and malfunctioned, a beautiful symbol of resistance that marched on and yet rotted away.

Zealotry: E

Normally unattainable mental strength can be acquired by possessing so much religious faith in something that is is beyond the understanding of those around the user. Berserker is resistant to mental traumas and magecrafts which act on the mind. Despite her low rank in the skill Mary demonstrates exceptional resistance to mental interference. Her will to fight and the goal which she sets her everything upon are intrinsic to her existence as a Heroic Spirit. In the suffering and torture of her childhood the young Mary was left with but one thing: Faith. A Catholic, but one without great attachment to the Catholic Church, her connection to Christendom was a deeply personal one. It was, perhaps, that love for her own Christianity that drove her reconstruction of England's faith to such violent extremes. What is certain is that she knows that she has a purpose. Berserker is not in a state that has realized the depths of her hatred, and her low rank in Zealotry reflects the blooming of her extreme ideals.

Weapon(s):

Broadsword

She is modestly learned in swordplay, more than any noble daughter ought to be but certainly enough for a person who feared almost constantly for her life. To match, Berserker wields an unembellished broadsword, borrowed from the hands of a loyalist soldier who stood to join her cause as she triumphantly returned to London. For a Servant's weapon it is unremarkable, sturdy enough to survive use by her strength but without any characteristics that make it particularly dangerous. The sturdy weapon could be taken to symbolize her will to fight, imprecise and heavy, unbreakable and gleaming, but ultimately to be known as a tool for killing and nothing else. She recalls fondly the memory of awkwardly hoisting it into the air, her grasp unsteady on horseback and an appropriately small amount of nervous laughter from those who saw the sickly woman's difficulty and determination. If only it could cut away the rest of that story.

Noble Phantasm(s):

Nine Day Usurper
"The Indefatigable Bastard Queen"

B
Anti-Unit (Self) Class
Description:

Berserker's primary Noble Phantasm is a sublimation of Mary I's meteoric and improbable rise to power. Her own father conspired to take her rightful throne from her, to say nothing of the Dudley family and the many Protestants who feared the Catholic reform promised by the young Mary's chosen faith. Through seemingly inexhaustible mental fortitude, unfaltering dedication to her cause, and at times simple luck she survived a court which wanted her ostracized and compliant... and dead if she refused. She survived being consigned to illness, in the hopes that she would fall as her mother had. She survived invoking her forsaken claim to the throne against a generations long plot to seat a puppet queen. Nine Day Usurper is the dauntless spirit of the Lady Mary, a form of Battle Continuation similar in nature to divine protection, but originating in the depths of her own piously directed madness. Barring the outright destruction of her spiritual core, Mary will not be stopped by damage that would ordinarily devastate her frail body. She weathers abuse and injury in spite of her expected failure, staking her spirit rather than her body. As Berserker accumulates damage that should have otherwise ended her quest outright her sanity erodes, increasing her ranks in Mad Enhancement and Zealotry. With enough degradation her Charisma becomes sealed and the Lady Mary's personality is destroyed, replaced by the violent, manic persona that would come to be known as Bloody Mary.

Three Hundred Lights
"Blood Stained Herald of Fire"

A
Anti-Army Class
Description:

The embodiment of the nightmare that was Bloody Mary, Three Hundred Lights is a Noble Phantasm crystallizing the hollow minded brutality which characterized the later rule of Mary I. Only when her personality has been completely and irreversibly suppressed can the full extent of her destructive potential be realized. In the name of justice, all to save sinners from themselves, she martyred over three hundred of her own citizens at the pyre. With her second Noble Phantasm Berserker can conjure purifying flames. Igniting objects at a touch, wreathing her body in fire, and projecting the blaze at her enemies are all possible with the berserk queen's baleful power. Her maddened zealotry distorts what can be considered heresy to the Bloody Mary, her intimacy with her own faith being enough to drive a wedge between herself and devout of the same denomination. For that reason the lights are indiscriminate killers, capable of engulfing the innocent and, as a result, forfeiting any increase in strength against Evil targets. Her lights are the emblems of a mind lost entirely to vengeance. They herald a pious, good soul that ultimately collapsed under the weight of its own festering wounds. She fell upon the grudge and contempt that her faith denied and was swallowed by it, forcing the image of those who once tormented her on all those who opposed her. In the end her faith outlived her, the religion invoked by the monster merely the last vestiges of redemption for the broken person screaming and burning their way to solitude.

Personality:

Mary is a warm, compassionate person. She is endowed with a powerful sense of kinship for others, her need for a family was never quite allowed to the bothersome child, and so she grew a tendency to supplant that desire to support and be supported on others. An only child, in many ways she tried to be for others the sister she could never be for her departed siblings, a source of laughter and joy. Mary conducts herself with a brutal honesty and almost overbearing openness, shying from little and cowering from nothing in the presence of those she leads. She first approached her reign as queen with the same air, utterly resolved that it was her fate to rule and to do so with the forgiveness and love taught by her faith. Only in her resolve can she be called a harsh person. Those she cannot reconcile with, those who are unforgivable, and those who would strip her of her destiny are met with a dauntless, stubborn woman. She could not hurt her torturers in life, but they surely knew even as they picked and plucked the girl until she should have broken that they could do no better. The young sovereign is accustomed to opposition but seemingly unfamiliar with betrayal, openly welcoming any company and easily laying aside hostilities when her battles are over. Her mercy might have been remembered as one of her defining traits, did she not harbor the repressed agony and malice of a true monster. She has a taste for complicated things, as well as a strange and seldom expressed infatuation with risk. There are few hobbies she did not once cast herself upon in isolation, but in particular she has a habit of courting fashion and finds herself amused by gambling.

Legend:

The child who would become Mary I of England was the sole surviving daughter of Henry VIII with Catherine of Aragon. She was doted upon for a time by both father and mother, receiving a robust education from Catherine and winning Henry's affection despite the king's disappointment with being unable to sire an heir. He boasted of her, "This girl never cries." It would remain an accurate summation of his daughter, and words that would only come to haunt him as the rift between himself and Mary grew. A precocious child, she was learned in many languages before she was even a teenager, and dabbled in music. Her talents won the hearts of courtiers wherever she was sent, and she was displaced often. Her hand in marriage was promised again and again to others, her seemingly well developing charm making her an object of affection but more importantly her very identity making her a valuable political tool. It was her immense value that made her disobedience most wounding to King Henry.

The marriage of her parents was a fruitless one, and Henry VIII famously sought an annulment so that he could seek another wife. When he married Anne Boleyn in secret and formally declared the dissolution of his marriage to Catherine, both the spurned queen and her daughter refused to acknowledge Boleyn's marriage. Mary and her mother were forbidden to see each other, each promised better quarters and reunion if they would only accept their own illegitimacy and proclaim Anne Boleyn their rightful queen. For the young Mary, so drawn to familial connection, the cut between them may as well have been upon her flesh. She fell ill frequently, the decline in her health mirroring suspiciously the steady descent of her mother's wellbeing. Catherine passed away amidst swirling rumors of poisoning and treachery, the new queen disparagingly wearing cheerful yellow to the funeral of the "Dowager Princess of Wales." Mary raged for the first time in her life, cast down from everything she held dear and grieving in isolation. It was the last time she ever felt doubt.

Henry, for his part, grew less craven. Within a year when Anne Boleyn began to disappoint him he simply had her beheaded. The Lady Mary was a drifting curiosity at that time, a gloomy bastard in the limbo of a court that didn't want her but couldn't kill her, though there was the idea in her mind that they had certainly tried. She could only watch as her half-sister Elizabeth, the guiltless daughter of Boleyn, was condemned to the same hell she felt. Within two weeks of his second betrayal Henry acquired the marriage of Jane Seymour, whose well intentioned attempts at convincing the king to repair his relationship with his daughter lead only to her being, finally, forced to consent to Henry's demands. Jane died in childbirth, but her son Edward survived, and finally placed a long sought male heir in the line of succession. Henry's wives began to pass by without much incident, her own life falling into a monotonous pattern of... surviving the wretched court she found herself in. Eventually, with Edward's succession all but certain, Mary and Elizabeth were returned to the line but never again acknowledged as legitimate. It was not too little, nor too late, it was simply a gesture undone by all that came after.

The boy king Edward VI took the throne, and was promptly made irrelevant by a Protestant regency. The Catholic rites dear to Mary were cast away as the Anglican faith evolved along new, Protestant lines. She was forbidden from worship as she knew it, defiantly practicing traditional Mass at her own chapel. Stripped of title and privilege, the others had finally come to rob her of her soul. When Edward did involve himself in politics he was no different from the council that had owned him, repeatedly targeting the Lady Mary for going against his religious reforms and defying the laws he had put in place. He died soon, lungs infected and failing. On his deathbed the 15 year old king was forced to confront the coming reality that his bastard half sister would take the throne. Her faith threatened the many reforms brought about by his rule, a shift in English faith that had begun with Henry's denial of Papal authority. In his will he denounced both Mary and Elizabeth, striking through his father's words and handing the throne to the unfortunate daughter in law of the same advisor who had convinced him to betray the sole peace offering between the remaining English court and Mary. The new queen would be Lady Jane Grey by his will, but not by Mary's. John Dudley, 1st Duke of Northumberland, had installed his puppet upon the throne.

The pawn Edward called his sister to London, to be at his side as he lay dying and to walk into the waiting arms of the Dudley conspirators. For the second time true her life should have ended then and there, cut from her shoulders or stripped from her hands and thrown into some dungeon. It did not. The Lady Mary fled into the countryside as the rebellion propped up its pretender queen and the Dudleys prepared to cement their place as the new ruling family of England. On 10 July, 1553, Queen Jane was crowned, and on the same day a letter from the banished Mary arrived, ordering her proclamation as the rightful successor. Bloodshed was inevitable, and though she had been deprived of many things, Queen Mary would not let those needling hands, those wretched ephemeral others who had always been there to cut away her substance, those heretics take away what God had planned for her. Nine days later, with an army at her back, the queen marched into London and tore down all those who opposed her.

Summoning Catalyst:

A Psalter said to have belonged to Queen Mary I. Little is left of the book, a fire seems to have consumed most of its substance. Of the pages that remain, the words once written neatly onto the now frayed and crumbling pages are indiscernible. At a glance, the only things one might determine about the relic are its age and its shabby state of being. On its front, remaining cover, a sewn-on image clings desperately to the binding, its edges shriveled out of their sutures and its color long drained. It is a pomegranate flower, the symbol of Catherine of Aragon.

On another note, @CasketCase, is there any particular spot you wanted in the rotation we're about to go into, or are you okay with me posting with the Overseer now?

Reactions: ArmoredScout
>a berserker that doesn't speak in ▂▂▃▃▅▅ーーー!!
Tsk tsk, Epsir.

Give it a couple activations of her NP, throw a few 'dirty protestant' variations in the blocktext and we'll be there

I apologize for waiting so long on the overseer post, I was hoping to establish a posting order but there's really no harm done in advancing things.

On another note, we've got quite a few players who seem to either be MIA and busy, which is totally fine, or have quietly dropped. This is my fault since I'm not yet sure what everyone's preferred pace is, but I'll be trying to get in touch with them and figure out who we still have. That said, I'll be sticking around whether we've got 14 players or 1. If you're still here and your partner is well and certifiably gone please step up or PM me, there's a lot of contrivances things that can be done to shuffle unpaired players together without having to reboot the thread or anything, unless we get to a point where everyone wants that.

Sorry for any delay in my posting. Have had a lot of rough shifts at work lately. I'll try to get a post out when I can.

• Thank You
Reactions: Epsir
No worries, life happens to everyone and the best we can do is work around it. Any pace is a good pace, I just like to keep communications going so that we know who's still hanging in there.

I'll be getting a post up tomorrow...but actually, @MechanicalHorse wanna collab something real quick?

Sorry for dissapearing, had an unforunate conflux of projects and stuff. Should have a post soon

• Thank You
Reactions: Epsir
So I've sorta waited more than a week for Casket to post or respond.. Since his character is the servant to my master. Now I know I'm not really stuck because of him, and that I could post to respond to you, @Epsir and @ERode .

Just curious to know if I still have a servant for my character, so thats why I've been.. Waiting.

I don't blame you for worrying about it, 'specially since this is a team based RP and all. I'll let Casket speak for themselves on that but they were kind enough to at least offer an explanation as to why they're slow in posting. It's been almost two weeks since then, though, and even longer since the last IC post. I also can't blame anyone if they think we've waited over-long and just want to move forward, in which case after Akise's next post I'll break this freeze and give the people in the Cathedral something to worry about. Rider will have their own part in the dilemma that can run at whatever pace is possible, and hopefully everyone is served by that arrangement.

I'll post in a day or two, maybe even tonight.

I wish I were good enough at GMing to tell you what's up but I've got nothing. I'll give it a couple of more days, but even if Akashi decides to stick around we're still looking like we've hemorrhaged the vast majority of people in this thread. I guess there's no better opportunity to start recasting, though.

Doesn't seem like recasting is all that helpful as well, seeing how most other newcomers have gone. Has it ever been a consideration to just make this a small RP with a ton of NPC master/servants?

Fair point, I should be more grateful for who has stuck around than worried about filtering through more randos. It definitely has. We were going towards the tons of NPCs part anyway, and fortunately we have the Servants to spare between Drowsy and I for that exact approach. It just felt a little bit pessimistic to push that as the plan when there was still the possibility of some of our MIAs coming back. I would love to run this as a more focused small-group thread, and that's looking like the necessity at this point. Like I said above I'm up for giving @Akashi a couple days to show and after that point I'll just break the freeze. By then I'll also have things finally settled for busting ArmoredScout out of his similar predicament and putting every team in motion again.

In all honesty, it's not such a bad spot since we're still looking at three teams under player control, it's just taken a brutal paring down and me subjecting you all to what turned out to be utterly pointless waiting to get here. There's something about this being a Christmas story in there somewhere.

• Useful
I'm still here

I'm ready to shake off the ice whenever you are, cap'm

I'll post today.

@Akashi
Thanks for sticking with us, I'm sorry that the situation with Rider isn't one that we can just instantly retcon because, well, y'all got out into an actual interaction before anything happened. Which really sucks in my opinion because it's like getting inconvenienced for doing the right thing. What I kind of feel is best to do right now is just play things out and roll with what we've been given, and we'll get an unpaired Servant (npc or otherwise) onto team Motoyo so that we can actually have our teams start the thread as teams. That seems like a a nice baseline to aim for before like... Actions have consequence and stuff.

@ArmoredScout
Here is your goo Servant please make do for now. Statistically speaking amorphous blobs survive longer in direct combat than Lancer classes anyway. Drowsy will be a little delayed but don't worry.

My steady cathedral people ERode and Mechahorse keep doing your thing.

I'll put the character sheets for the new npcs and a servant up tomorrow when I'm confident I won't just break the main post's formatting at 4 am. Thank you everybody still soldiering on.