Fate/Shattered Gospel

D

DrowsyPangolin

Original poster
August 1st, 2027
Morning of the First Day

36633.jpg
Kelly took a long drag from his cigarette as he watched the first rays of day begin to peek over the landscape. He sighed, shaking his head before taking another puff of smoke.

"God dammit Albert, how'd you end up here?"

He mumbled to himself, looking over his shoulder at the massive cathedral behind him. Honestly, he was surprised the archdiocese had approved the use of such a famous cathedral, it was Notre Dame, after all. Maybe making it neutral ground would discourage attacking it? The opposite, of course, was also possible. Really, it all came down to what kind of people these 'Masters' turned out to be. Hopefully they would be respectful enough to not fight near a neutral zone, though it would be preferable if they avoided fighting around any famous landmarks. Kelly sighed again, his cigarette illuminating his face for a moment. There was little chance of that. He already knew that, in the best case scenario, he'd likely end up having to fill out untold amounts of paperwork by the end of this fiasco, and the worst case scenario was something he didn't particularly want to think about. Suddenly, he heard a voice cut through the air behind him.

"Father, you really shouldn't smoke."

Kelly smirked, kneeling down to put out the cigarette as the nun called to him from the door of the cathedral.

"Y'know Izzy, it could be worse. At least I'm not smoking in the church."

Isabella narrowed her eyes at the priest. Before she could interject, however, Kelly continued.

"Besides, I think it's understandable given the circumstances."

Isabella's expression softened into a look of worry.

"You haven't slept."

Kelly chuckled, shaking his head.

"Of course not. How can I sleep when I've got a War to oversee, never mind that I'm not really sure what 'overseeing' entails. I guess I'll figure that out as I go. From my understanding though, Overseers usually have some way to keep the Masters under control, though for all the good it did them maybe it's better that I don't have anything."

Kelly shrugged, watching a plane cut across the early morning sky.

"Well, at any rate, they should start arriving soon… wait, do you think they'll even know where to find me if they need me? Hmm… I guess if they were looking for a Church this is the one they'd start with. Maybe Notre Dame wasn't such a bad choice… But wait, how would I even keep in contact with them? I'm sure some of 'em will watch the Church with a familiar or two, but we're not even sure who most of them are. Maybe they can't even manage a familiar… Do you think I should set up a Group Chat for them? Izzie, what's wrong?"

Isabella stared with a somewhat exasperated expression at the priest who had gone from contemplating the serious issue of his own experience to questioning the finer points of modern communication.

Elsewhere, the framework of the Grail War had already been set. Some Masters would be arriving soon, others had managed to get to Paris early. The city seemed to hold a silent anxiety, a concern over a problem yet unseen, a looming, invisible shadow.

Prelude
Somewhere Dark

Prelude

"Well then, the stage is set. The Masters should be arriving soon if they haven't already, their Servants will likely be summoned before the end of the day. Everything is in place, though… I do still wonder if we chose the right place… the leylines here are excellent, but it's hardly the only place that qualifies…"

A woman in a black dress, scarcely visible in the flickering light of a nearby candle mulled over the current situation. Her voice sounded fragile and soft, like a tinkling bell.

"Oh, don't misunderstand my dear, the leylines were just the icing on the cake, they weren't the selling point."

A man's voice, smooth like black velvet, replied from the dark.

The woman looked into the dark quizzically, the faint outline of a white suit barely visible.

"Then what was?"

The man laughed softly, stepping toward the light and flashing a smile.

"It's simple. The history of this place is what drew me to it. All that struggle… the blood of rebellion runs deep here. The spirits of liberators and tyrants haunt every street. When you consider that, there was never really another option."

The woman nodded as if she understood.

"I suppose it does fit our purposes rather well if you think about it. I'm still concerned though. Even if the stage is set perfectly, we have no way to make sure the actors follow the script. There's no real way to predict where things go from here."

The man in the white suit nodded, the same grin still gleaming on his face.

"But that's the best part. The boredom might kill me if the story was spoiled before it began."

The woman shook her head.

"I'm still not sure what you're thinking when you say things like that."

The man laughed again, gently placing his hand on the woman's shoulder.

"I'm thinking you should relax and watch the fireworks. Don't you think you've earned yourself a break, Miss Architect?"

-Prelude Out

Reactions: Akashi
coatCzar.gif

Josef Maximilian von Habsurg

13 hours. 13 long hours. Although, to Josef, it seemed no time had passed at all.

No stops, except for fuel for his Kawasaki Ninja. Rome to Paris. Josef had left the day after getting letter, ready for the War to start as soon as possible, instead of a few weeks. Although, this gave Josef plenty of time to set up his own operation, and gather the most important part of Pre-Grail. The catalyst.

Thanks to connections, and plenty of money, Josef managed to set up an extended stay at Hôtel Plaza Athénée. Probably the most luxurious hotel in the entire city. It would be a shame Josef wouldn't be spending much time at it. The pristine white rooms, gilded fabrics, and complimentary champagnes and food trays. It was almost better than his own room at his estate.

The first week in Paris was spent sampling the town. Tasting all the finest foods, wines, and women. It was almost a blur to Josef. Luckily he had set up the necessary connections to receive the catalyst for his servant. A piece of a horn or other. All Josef knew was that he was going to summon a servant fit for the strongest master, Saber.

It was only on the dawn of the second week, that Josef had finished with his Pre-Grail 'rituals'. Josef seemingly poured over every tome he could manage to find, using his money and connections to their extent. Over the course of merely two weeks, it seemed that Josef wouldn't last the rest of the Grail War without burning a considerable hole in his family's pocket. Although, this fact didn't seem to bother Josef.

The rest of his time, nearly 2 more weeks, were spent mapping out Paris to his liking, and racing the streets of Paris. Josef even had a couple run ins with the Paris Police Force.

Just when it seemed like Josef wouldn't be able to receive his catalyst, it arrived only a handful of hours before August 1st. Luckily, Josef had done a week's worth of research, probably not enough to do the summoning perfectly, but Josef was confident. Just like he always was.

However, probably unwisely, Josef had decided to use one of the more empty rooms in his massive suite for the summoning. Josef didn't know the full ramifications of summoning a servant, but ever the confident man, Josef knew he could handle it.

Josef had decided to be extremely considerate of his 'guest'. Tables lined with candies, chocolates, wines, finger foods, and plenty of fine clothes fit for a man of considerable worth. He was summoning Sir Roland, Saber class. The best deserved only the best.

The lines were drawn, and circle complete, and his gift tables set up. Josef was even wearing his best suit, a Brunello Cucinelli Special Edition Black, tailored specifically to show off his body. Josef only needed to wait a couple more hours before it was official August 1st. He would be able to summon the servant that'd help him get the victory that would define his entire life. Saber was his hope for a meaningful life.

Josef glanced down at the back of his left hand, glancing over the command seals. This was it. Everything in his life would come to this moment. Summon Sir Roland, the best knight of Charlemagne, and the man who would win him the Grail.

Reciting the chant, looking over the glowing circle, Josef began the path that would see him be the person he always knew he was. Continuing to chant, Josef's skin began to prickle, painfully. It felt as if a thousand knives were poking into his skin. Refusing to falter, Josef continued the summoning, focusing on the catalyst and circle.

Blinding pain came next, so difficult that Josef could barely keep his eyes open. Small gusts of wind picked up, and rippled over his person. Some of the gifts were knocked from there table, which only prompted increased focus from Josef. Attempting to keep the summoning under control, and feeling the end nearing, Josef forced himself to focus every bit of himself into the last of the process. Still reciting the chant, while the prickling now turned to burning, Josef finished the summoning. An almost thunderous clap echoed in the hotel room, probably seeming louder than it was, accompanied with a final gust of wind, knocking more delicacies from the tables.

Still recovering him the blinding pain, Josef was on one knee, wiping his eyes and gathering himself. Hopefully before his newly summoned servant would notice.

Reactions: Epsir and Akashi
"Ku Chi Ha

North, East, West

Open three gates, close one gate."

No amount of preparation would prevent a calamity, but no amount of calamity would dissuade her course of action. In a small room drenched with the essence of incense, Shinobu shuffled back and forth. Her feet slid against polished wooden planks, the chime of bells following each flick of the wrist. A 'proper' summoning would have required the 'ring of restraint', an established hierarchy, but there were more rituals than just those prescribed by the Mage Association. In a trance, the shrine maiden danced, the hem of her red skirt skimming against the floor as she sang her aria, circuits resonating with the environment. If she failed, nothing changed, but if she succeeded…

"Hi Fu Mi

Shadow, Sun, Sea

Open three realms, close one realm."

Cerulean eyes swirled about, reflecting nothing but the emptiness of her mind as Shinobu spoke words that were not her own. Already, fatigue was settling in, a ritual that should have lasted only a few minutes being extended into hours due to the inadequacy of her own power. And yet, the sweat that dripped from her brow did not fall onto the consecrated platform. Her voice tirelessly rang through the lonely space. Damp stains emerged on her back, droplets caught by the swish of her sleeves or the shifting of her feet, and still, she persevered. Like a straw house during a storm. Like a paper tower during a monsoon. Like dew in the morning. Shinobu continued to build everything up, and continued to break everything down. In a lonely house in the mountains, her power waxed and her power waned.

"Cross fivefold, weave tenfold.

With thread, with thought, with life

Unite the inner three harmonies with the outer three

And thus, our fates become a key of six harmonies."

Every time it grew, it fell. Every time it ascended, it descended. And the higher it got, the more it hurt. How many muscles had she pulled? How badly were her ankles sprained? How many times had she bite her tongue? Shinobu tasted iron with each syllable, a variety of sharp pains popping up as she continued this murderous dance. No one else was there to watch. She could give up now, leave it for later. She could even try selling these Command Spells for profit, avoid this Grail War altogether. It was, after all, a fight to the death, a ritual that used the archaic method of 'human sacrifice' to achieve results. Fuyuki had burned to the ground for that, and achieved nothing. It was meaningless and worthless.

"I declare myself Master, the tower opposing the world!

With this key, with this plea, with these three, I beseech thee!"

Just as meaningless and worthless as herself! Two negatives made a positive! With a prayer to a foreign miracle, she will change her fate with these two hands! She'll make sure everyone knew that her father's mistake was anything but, and she'll ensure that all the effort she had expended ended up helping someone. A prayer for world peace? A prayer for untold riches? A prayer for the Root? No. Crying herself hoarse, tearing her body apart, tiptoeing the precipice of life and death, Shinobu just wanted to be a better person. Someone, instead of no one.

"Descend from the Seventh Heaven and into the Kingdom of Man!

I declare thyself Servant, the sword opposing the king!"

Rebelling against her Origin, her very identity, her ritual soared to its very peak, setting in motion gears that could no longer be stopped with mere misfortune. An invisible pressure descended upon the room that smelled of incense, sweat, and…methane.

Shinobu collapsed, legs finally giving out on her. A trial by fire? A final misfortune to serve as penance for her 'crime'?

Hah. Fortune smirks at least.

Bloodshot eyes closed, tranquility found in leaving it up to another.

If she died, nothing changed, but if she lived…

A wisp of flame ignited the flammable gases that spewed from a burst pipe.

A blazing star was born, chasing away the starlit night as a conflagration erupted from the confines of that mountain-side cabin.

"Ah, the smell of Paris the city of love. Smokier than expected." Gerald says to himself as he held his breath waiting for the smokers to pass him by. He was standing on a bridge where many couples lock their love to one another. He was enjoying the scenery of a new land that he always wanted to visit since watching all those old Disney cartoons with his parents. He pulled his smartphone from his pocket and checked the time, it read "11:00 PM". Then he closes his eyes for a moment, the hotel's restaurant is probably closed by now but there were plenty of pubs still opened. Not that he drinks, it never tasted right. Placing his phone back into his pocket he begins walking pass the couples and crowd but especially those that prowled the night looking for tourist to 'guide'. "Don't speak to strangers!" the voice of his mother echoed in his head. Instinctively he agrees with his mother, though he has no intention of really doing that. He signals a cab and he pointed at a piece of paper with the name of the hotel he was staying. Hotel Vernet. It's not too bad of a hotel, after all, he is staying for free.

Finally, he had reached his room. He had felt as the cab ride was longer than it really was with the driver incessantly probing him for his history. If it was a different day, he probably would have no problem with sharing but having spent the whole day walking around the huge city taken a toll on Gerald. He dropped onto his comfy bed. His muscle ache, his mind wonders to those days of having spent playing video games instead of play soccer. As he reached for the switch, his hands instead found a letter instead. Gerald took the letter and wore his glasses as he went to his desk. It was clearly written to him but there was no address or any indication of who sent it except the symbol of the wax used to seal the letter. Gerald thinks for a moment "it was probably the kind people that paid for his vacation.". He begins opening the letter to read it. With a confused look, he sets the letter down "True Holy Grail war? Is it a code for something?"

Gerald thinks for a moment but couldn't come up with anything. He scratches his head and touched the silver cross pendant he wore around his neck. He had a bad feeling, something was wrong. A sweat broke out on Gerald's forehead, why was he having a vacation? Who paid for his vacation and why did he travel alone he promised his parents that if he saved up money they would all go. He glances at his phone it read "11:59 PM". Things weren't adding up but before the confusion had set in, even more, a burning sensation, like that of having a cloth iron accidentally pressed down on your arm. Gerald screamed from the pain and held on to his right arm as symbols began appearing on his wrist. Like a barrel on a hill, he tripped over his own foot trying to reach the bathroom and accidentally hits the body mirror near the bathroom door instead shattering it causing multiple small cuts to his already burning right arm. The room had no carpeting and the blood flowed as Gerald was immobilized by the pain. It flowed towards an inconspicuous summoning circle and the room glowed eerie light. Now Gerald as if possess began chanting something. His mind was still his but his body was not. It was like one of those bad horror games he played when he was a kid where the main character was being possessed and turned into a doll. He saw his blood being drawn unnaturally towards a glowing circle and his mouth is saying things he couldn't comprehend. His mind already reeling from the pain and confusion, lucky or not, however, he did catch the last sentence. "I shall grant thee the deliverance of thy soul, now come forth before me, servant of man!" A great light burst forth from the circle and all was silent. Gerald stood up and turn as if in a trance to see a silhouette behind him. His pain was numbed by awe, confusion and fatigue. "So, by chance... did you pay for my vacation?". His phone fell from his desk at the perfect angle to show him the time "12:01 AM, Congratulations."

Reactions: Epsir
The high noon sun was masked behind a thin layer of cloud.
It was still visible, and it certainly didn't seem as if it was about to rain. In fact, patches of blue were even still clear to the eye here and there, scattered across the sky like splattered paint.
Under this sky, a carefully arranged and sculpted pond, lined with statues, sat beside a hut and a multitude of wooden tables.
More than a few people, beginning an early lunch, were sat here, but it was not overflowing as one would expect on a clearer day.
It was only just few enough that if one were to scan the place once, one would be able to pick out an individual with ease, and that was fortunate indeed for Romain Mercier.

Sighing exasperatedly as he plucked the back of the head of the man he was looking for out of the crowd, he made his way over, walking around the table to sit opposite.
Frowning at the man who wouldn't even look up from a plate of pancakes, he cleared his throat.
"Mr Argyle. Taking an early lunch break, I see," he remarked dryly.
The man cracked a smile from the opposite side of the table, looking up for a brief moment.
"I was hungry," he said.
"So I see. Don't you have somewhere to be?" Romain raised an eyebrow.
"The conference?" his colleague scoffed. "I'll be just fine without it. They shouldn't be holding them out in god-knows-where in this day and age to begin with. I'm not wasting working hours entertaining Professor Fabre's whims all the time."
Romain's expression drooped in exasperation. "The Louvre is closed on Tuesdays, Chain."
"So it is," Chain affirmed, cutting another square of pancake.
Giving a short sigh, Romain leaned back in his chair.
Chain Argyle could be frustrating to talk to on the best of days when he wasn't serious, let alone when he was halfheartedly trying to hide something.
He decided to open a can of worms.
"Is this about that Holy Grail thing?" he asked.
"There you go," chuckled Chain.
"I'm sorry?"
"You're like a lighter, Mercier. You catch on quick," he commended, "with a little push. Of course, it goes without saying that you ought to stop rooting through my papers."
"You ought to stop leaving confidential letters open on your desk," Romain shot back. "I don't expect you'll be returning?"
"Indeed I won't."
"And you don't think the Mages Association will react to losing a valuable supplier in the least if he just drops off the face of the earth?"
"Please. I've worked for the Mages Association. What do you expect them to do, find me?" he grinned. "They have neither the men, the means, nor the motivation."

Romain rubbed his brow. There were a lot of truths about Chain that were left very deliberately unspoken. That said...
"I haven't worked with you for eight years to not be a step ahead when it counts." From his pocket, he produced a cuboid wrapped in red cloth. "A catalyst."
Tentatively, Chain unwrapped it just enough to see what it was, suppressing laughter as he folded it back up. "Christ, Romain! Do I even want to ask how you got this?"
"With great difficulty. A Phantasmal Species like that isn't exactly common anymore," he replied.
"And to think! I wanted to summon Antoinette!" he cried, shaking his head. "You might well have saved my life."
"Well, I have, you can thank me by taking care of some of the paperwork on the Mona Lisa sometime."
"Let's see if you still recognise me by then," Chain smirked. "Well, if you'll excuse me, I have a dark alley to find."
"See if you can get stabbed again. That'll give you an edge," grinned Romain.
With a shaking of hands and goodbyes, they parted ways.
For Romain, his lunch break awaited.
For Chain, his workplace.

With its ever-increasing size, the Louvre's underground extensions were a recent but necessary addition to the museum's storage capacity.
A biometric scan granted access to the elevator, albeit not, Chain was certain, for much longer.
The trip down was only a minute long, but it was enough for him to check his notepad.
The chant normally used to summon Servants required knowledge of a "foundation" and an "ancestor". Chain didn't have one single mentor that could function as an ancestor, and he had nothing linked closely enough to him to pay tribute to as a foundation, so he'd had to resort to alternative measures. During his time at Clock Tower, he had learned how to use high-speed incantations, and while that knowledge was lost to him now, he still was fairly familiar with the fundamentals of shortening Arias.
In other words, he would be forced to use a fake Five-Line compression of a Ten-Count. It would do something. Too much mana was involved in Greater Rituals for nothing to happen. It was simply a question of if it was a result that he wanted, and that was dictated by how well he edited this chant.
It looked fine, but... No, one word was off. He took his pencil and changed it right away.
The doors opened, and Chain stepped into the storage room.
Nobody was here. It was only natural. It was Tuesday, after all.
Walking down the steps, pad and catalyst in hand, he made his way to an empty space between the aisles of metal crates. He had already etched a summoning circle there.
Opening the box, he placed the roc feather in the center and took a few steps back from the space that his Servant would manifest in.
Inhaling and exhaling deeply, he straightened his necktie.
"Here we go."
An image of an old switch shot through his mind as his Magic Circuits snapped to life. They faltered for a brief moment, a burning sensation shooting through his body as he dragged them back to capacity.
Prana spilled forth. The circle shimmered like molten rock. His Command Seals, as if knowing what he was attempting, shone as if aflame, shrieking, straining to tear his arm apart.
And Chain spoke.

"Antiquity foundation: forty-seven, twenty-six, lattice key - null original."
The faint glow of the summoning circle sparked to life, magical energy flying ferociously in all directions, filling the entire warehouse with its fury.
"Seal boundary air, negate fourth circumference."
Simultaneously, every bulb in the basement shut off with a crack, leaving the only illumination that of the azure-white flashes of recklessly rushing mana.
"Terminate on fifth completion."
A cyclone erupted from the catalyst. The purest mana Chain had ever witnessed had already begun to collect around it, pressure roaring with such intensity that it felt as if his very flesh was about to part from his body.
"Declare authority, cite Grail."
A vaguely humanoid shape began to coalesce in the center, an unformed entity. An empty class container? It was certainly not something that was supposed to exist by itself. Space seemed to turn to water, a whirlpool of wind and prana, the circle its eye. Chain knew little about the exact specifications of the ritual, but even he knew that if he didn't finish this quickly, the leylines were going to tear the entire museum apart, if not more.
"Access archive Alaya to Throne."
A sound, a screech of tearing metal, resonated from the Command Seals on Chain's hand as mana shot through them with three times the quantity and speed that they were designed to endure, as if screaming in outrage that the Grail's holy mantra had been defiled so.
In a sense, he could say that he had their attention.

"Zeroth command: Manifest."

Marianne

"You are called upon."

Formlessness wrapped around formlessness, the immaterial lines of fate gripped and distorted by their need, by their wish. The many threads that formed Her strained and frayed, greedy fingers prying into the strings and tugging at the ones they liked the best. Instruction flowed in along the painful bonds of lives linked never by likeness nor soul, but sinister Destiny. She was to fight. It told Her so. It told Her why she was, but It could never say why she would. It was not the voice that sometimes called to her from darkness, but a voice that came from nothingness, without meaning.

A girl raised her head to the morning stars, vicious eyes glowing verdant in the twilight. The flashing of lights beckoned her forwards. Her chest collapsed. Crimson gushed from her ruined body, dim silence marred by the defiant splatter of her life's blood. They laughed as she fell, lost at last. One knee crashed against the stone, and then the other. Writhing, screaming blood from empty lungs, the lie she lived was lost at last. Laughter mated sickness, she retched and cried, she despaired and loved. She had lived, and so died. Her torn body fell to the pavement.

"So it has always been."

One thread was pried from the string, and then the next. It cared not for the stories of strong warriors and brave soldiers, and pierced Her timeless shape to its forgotten core. It hadn't come for a guardian, It hadn't come for a savior. Malice itself wrapped around the most pitiful, frail strand of them all. It clenched, and pulled. She snapped. Broken lines splayed away from the spirit, wounded streamers reaching out to their doomed family before the violation was repaired and the chosen fragments stolen away...

Uncaring hands forced her to the scaffold. The stock cut her neck, her wrists bruised in their restraints. The girl in the scaffold raised her head to the setting sun, green eyes glistening with the pain of things unspoken. A meandering life of petty anger and worthless intent, put to an end by random spite. Tears stained her cheeks, fell to the bloodstained basket that she would soon join. The tricolor waved in her eyes, hoisted by the joyous faces of those she'd stood beside all through this storm. She couldn't hate them: They cheered for Liberty with all their hearts. It was only a passing shame that such passions clouded the mind. All would be well soon, the blade hissed.

... Flying, dancing hands weaved the torn pieces together. The Falsehood called Legend was born at their tips. Pale light flooded the Container as it was built upon the Wish. Their touch was new, soothing, stabilizing. They called not to Her, but her vessel. A third voice, one of softness, one of meaning... one of desperation. Master. What did that word mean?

It spoke to her in her restraints, and by instinct her tired body understood. The form of the Servant took shape, the spiritual body made manifest by Its demand and poured into the mold readied by that chosen Master. She stood with her sublimated body, neither gone nor present yet. The guillotine shattered over her. The scaffold disintegrated under her feet. It showed Her where She would fight. The crowd was wiped away. The blood flowed back into her chest. The craters and the coffins were taken back. The faces of the people brightened. They loved life, they remembered beauty, they knew peace. She had been spared, but her tears did not stop. The two stood as one, witnessed as one. Darkness loomed beyond their peace. She took a step forward. One reached out to take hold of it and destroy it, to banish the unfeeling dark. One reached out to save those beset, to comfort the lost and welcome them home again.

It had obliterated her restraints and now it tore away the dream. Paris evaporated, the fragments of the Spirit fell through into the world beyond, back to the world where they belonged.

The container came to life in an instant. The mistral wind blew over the vessel of mana and magic, filling in the weave of blue strands with pale skin and blackened clothing. Stained with blood and smoke her coat unfurled, hem falling around her knees as her arms folded alongside. Twin lights wove her out of the ether, joining around her neck in the worn, faded colors of a scarf. With the final touches of love, they dragged mournfully across her face and pulled her shut eyes open. Cerulean and scarlet danced together, blinding light filling the room as the welling gas burst with fire.

"So it shall always be."

Starlight shone in her eyes. Fire scorched at her skin. The specter of gunsmoke and shadow ignited, the hollow world around her overpowered by a hell of light. Her boot came down on charred wood. The specter did not falter, even as flames danced from its darkening body. Its tall, winding form surged forward. Moving without feeling, without thinking. Desolation surrounded them. Her Master, that could be the only title for the girl cradled in her arms, the only explanation for how such a frail body had been spared the fate of the world around them. Chunks of flaming woodwork fell from the sky, fragmentation launched by the blast still skittering to the ground in their vicinity. Smoke swirled in the waste, occluding sight, staunching breath. Her legs carried them both. Without hesitation she charged the boundary, the last remnant of incinerated vagueness shattering over her slender shoulders.

Archer plunged into the cold night, her charge held fast in her arms. Smoke trailed from the smouldering Servant, her coat charred where it had not been simply burnt away. She knelt where she landed, attentive to nothing but the unstirring, weakened person with her. Marianne shifted the girl in her arms, turning her to look at her Master's haunting, pale face. The fire cackled behind them, and for a moment she wondered if her Master had already been claimed. Archer's lips parted, her cold eye peering into those hollowed lids for the slightest stir beneath, for a next breath from her new comrade.
"Master?"
It was all she could bring herself to ask. As soon as she allowed her mind to turn it flooded with uncertainty. This was not where her vision had pointed, this girl was not a hardened warmagus come to claim the Grail... and she herself was not whole. Already, the specifics faded from the corners of Archer's memory, but the Servant had no care for the specifics of her ephemeral, unconventional identity. As her face hardened her fingers began to clench tighter at the lithe arm beneath them, as if her own strength could be willed to another. Her Master needed to live. No logic preceded that idea, it was primal instinct encoded upon this new flesh.
"Open your eyes, Master."

Walter Moen

More than anything else, he was looking at a fucking mess.

In kinder words it was a Parisian alleyway. He'd made it his home, though. At least for the past twelve or so hours. Spent fast food wrappers sat atop the nearest garbage can, some still warm. Nothing else had been added to the alleyway in the past few days, he'd made sure of that. He'd spent six hours crawling around in the dirt with a ritual chisel, physically carving the required circles into the concrete and establishing the most essential tool of the urban magus: His bounded field. It was a typical design for Association magi, documentation was widely available on how to construct such things and fortunately they were self sufficient, to a degree. It would collapse after he left it, but only because the intent to sustain itself on the natural mana was gone. It made sure some enforcers weren't caving his skull in in the middle of his trance, and more likely, it stopped some Parisians from wandering into the summoning. Witchcraft was particular upon its circles, at least the school he was employing. Were they to be broken by anything other than his ritual knife, their magic would be released in an unpredictable way. After this long, siphoning the Greater Source? A mistake here would be catastrophic to everyone involved. At the very least, he would become modern art until they scrubbed him and the French kid who ruined everything off the wall. Walter sighed out smoke. European cigarettes, every time. He threw the just-lit stick away, scowling. The westerner slipped off of his dumpster, boot heel crushing his last cigarette as he looked over his handiwork.

He couldn't power the ritual himself, that much was obvious. Every last drop of magical power that went into activating the summoning would have to come from without, but he was fortunate. The ritual was just that, and Formalcraft was his sole specialty. He'd done his research, even if it had meant brushing shoulders with Clocktower types. The Grail, in every manifestation of the War prior, had served as the primary summoner for the chosen Heroic Spirits. Only it could produce the miraculous power needed to rip the Servants from the Ring of Deterrence. The Masters who first desired to shackle them for their ritual decided, in their treacherous wisdom, to bind them to the world themselves, treating those heroes like mere familiars, and establishing a common sense method of control. They created a need for something, and then they took that thing away. In this case, it was the magical energy these Servants required to operate and survive. He would play a precarious position, chasing after the heels of those sinister Magi. He would create the promise of mana... without having any to provide. The bounded field would suffice for that for at least a day, maybe two if he was lucky. He had amassed more than enough of the Greater Source to actually power the summoning (in theory), the rest of it was to be his first offering. Hopefully he drew a binge eater from the Throne, because they were likely only getting to get supplied in infrequent bursts when they could afford to establish a bounded field. Maybe he underestimated himself, maybe his Od could suffice, but he would certainly not be able to use any Magecraft to defend himself. What Magecraft? The realization elicited a smile, at least.

The Master looked to the stars. The light of morning was approaching quickly, the distinct glow of the coming sun beginning to the brighten the horizon and dim his guiding stars. It was time to begin. Clad in red and black he approached the primary summoning circle. Unlike those that sheltered his bounded field it was precise, not the mere suggestion it took for this alleyway to subconsciously seal itself from passersby. Nine feet in diameter, its defining features carved into the ground with the same, blackened knife he would be using to conduct the ritual. It alone was attuned to this circle, wrapped in salt six times and dragged across its perimeter with the turning of the sun. No lesser athame would suffice, the resistance met by an unattuned but suitable knife was negligible to the ordinary circle. Here it would be akin to stepping upon a landmine. It rested in his backpack, ready if he needed to puncture the circle and intervene in the Thaumaturgic Program already set down within its structure. If that were the case, he would be doing so only for the convenience of those living in the surrounding buildings. Beside it was an ordinary circle, one for himself that served the simple purpose of protection. It wouldn't stop a servant that chose to kill its summoner, but it would keep him rooted and insulated from the tumultuous nature of the summoning itself. He stood within its bounds, backpack balanced atop his feet to keep its structure firmly within protection as well. The saint's ashes within would defile any circle of this nature if they passed, and a number of other artifacts posed stability issues if they were to be introduced. Four white candles formed the boundary that sealed him from the outside world. A force of compulsion and weakened fate, it was a barrier that worked less on the physical level than it did on the conceptual. The winds of the summoning would warp in his favor, fragments of concrete would miss him by chance. That was all he could ask for.

His catalyst laid at its center. Fragments of obsidian, the one remnant he had of a system that could serve no purpose here. Recovered from Central America in one of his brief treks through the area, their rituals were those of human sacrifice. It occurred to him that he was vaguely taking part in a human sacrifice (reincarnated, approximated humans, sure), but it was at some level a voluntary one. What was he going to do? Tie up a French national and gut them over a circle? Realistically speaking they wouldn't yield enough mana to make a different anyway, not compared to what he could accomplish within his expertise. If he could summon one of them though, perhaps contain their bloodlust or feed it with... cadavers, or animals, or something, an Adherent of the Sun God would make for a powerful Caster. Their magic may have been devastated by the western world, but the fearsome legacy of what they could accomplish was stricken down in their beautiful, gilded cities, in their powerful jade Mystic Codes, and in the terrifying exploits of their bloodstained mythos. He found his knife, he buried it in his arm. Blood poured into the circle, and as he swung his arm the blood fell upon it. Red droplets filled the shapes inscribed, sizzling as magic began to course through them. The cone of power, an essential funneling mechanism for the magic circle. It was ordinarily formed of a chanting crowd. Here, the circle crafted it itself. A brilliant archway of pure light, the color of mana manifest filled the alleyway and pierced the sky.

"Blood and stone are the foundation, wrought in toil and sealed in love. On Man's Authority of Rite I call upon the gift of Azaz'el.

The walls beseech thee, made in thy name. The circle is prepared, the four gates sanct to all but thine coming. The spoked road calls thee down from thy Kingdom, to the kingdom begotten here.

It is carved, again, again, again, again, again.

It is blessed, again, again, again, again, again.

We have bled, again, again, again, again, again.

I swear my fate to yours, I swear thy sword to victory.

By these rites of the Holy Grail, abide my just call to arms and answer these summons.

I swear to be one which excises evil from this world, I will be one which carries out justice.

Hero of the Ring, come to me! Come to your destiny!
"

He called out to the light, holding his bleeding appendage out to the summoning circle. His eyes welled with water, blinded by light. Every facet of him seemed to boil as mass crashed down within the circle. Within his boundary he was shrouded with the dust of shattered concrete and his evaporated circle. He was alive, and that in itself was an accomplishment, but mystery remained as to what had answered his call...

Last edited:
In the depths of nonexistence, the end played out in flashes for an eternity, in a realm where such words as 'eternity' or 'time' held no meaning. The rush of his enemies, their cries as they lay broken. The final blow that brought him to a knee, that led to his end. The flashing knife of the priest's ceremonial dagger as it found itself deep in his chest. His life ended at the same time he was delivered from his shame. A good death. A good death. A good death. Satisfaction came with this, and his paradise, his Heaven, was reliving his end and knowing he died with no regrets. But these flashes began to blur, began to darken. The spirit that lived out these memories and relived them in perpetuity had its peace interupted. Eventually, the light of its memories dimmed entirely, the spirit left in a state of limbo. There was a nugget of emotion that was planted in the depths of the spirit as its paradise was taken from it.

This emotion was anger.

What seemed like a mere moment since his being had been shaved from the Source, the Servant's eyes snapped open, dark brown eyes seeing nothing but ruined concrete, little pebbles kicked up and flying off in every which way from the whirlwind that had formed around his rebirth. He breathed, and the scent of jungle and the stone of pyramids was replaced by the smell of ruined street cement and cigarette smoke. He wrinkled his nose and grunted, lifting his head. The vortex of power continued to swirl around him as reality made way for magic, the Servant's eyes squinting through the kicked up dust and dirt to try and get his bearings. He'd coalesced in a kneeling position, and the realization of such made him snort derisively. No more kneeling. Another grunt from deep in his chest, and the massive being stood to his full height at the same time the vortex epxloded outwards with a gust of wind, its job complete.

Tanned a golden brown, the Servant stood tall, ridiculously tall, muscles marking his entire frame. Most of his lower body was hidden by a skirt more akin to series of clothes that tied at the front, a hanging cloth between his legs ending in tatters with various Aztec symbols marking the fabric. His chest was bare save the multitude of scars marking it, a necklace of various precious stones hanging over the center of his chest. Both ears were marked with ornate piercings, a headband with eagle feathers attached to one side of it keeping his dirty blond hair mostly in place. He looked to his left side and watched his left arm rise, his fingers clothing into a knuckle as his biceps flexed, testing the new flesh granted to him. It was then he realized in his right arm was heavy, and his head slowly turned to regard his right side, seeing the hilt of his macuahuitl resting between his fingers, the end of it pressed into the ruined concrete.

Then, he finally looked forward. A white man in respledent clothing.

"Hero of the Ring, come to me! Come to your destiny!"

He had heard these words as he was taken from the Source, the ongoing, eternal replay of his end interrupted by a new call to glory. His last moments played once again. The stone, the knights all around him. He felt his newly formed heart beat a tad quicker.

Like Montezuma before him, his new Master played to his fancies. He managed a snicker at the thought.

"My Master," he said, his voice the deep rumble of a beast, of a collected man on the verge of violence at any moment. A slow nod of his head replaced a kneeling position more respectful beings might offer. Such respect was saved for his homeland. A homeland that no longer existed. "Until I am granted my end, I do your bidding."

Last edited by a moderator:
Stars fell from the sky, embers drifting, drifting, dissipating. Only wreckage remained of the small cottage, the eruption tearing apart the wooden foundation and setting fire to the world around them. The stench of rotten eggs pervaded the entire area, and even the moon gained a tinge of red, as if reflecting the unnatural flames.

The explosion had deafened her, replacing her hearing with a headache-inducing siren.

The explosion had battered her, purple and green blossoming on frail skin.

The explosion had blinded her, vision swimming and brightening.

But she breathed. The explosion had not killed her. She was alive! Her heart pounded, her lungs heaved, and she breathed and breathed and breathed, a step away from hyperventilating as she took in more of that blessed, smoky air, heart pumping blood as chemicals rushed into her brain. Something was holding her, something warm yet foreign, swirling with power that even a failure like herself could sense. So powerful. So gentle. So…caring.

Shinobu knew she was projecting someone else onto this figure, but it was hard not to, when she was saved by that person, saved when no one else in the world would have bothered.

"Ah…"

Her cerulean eyes opened, unfocused still, the firelit figure nothing but a blur. This was no muscled demigod, no radiant knight, no unmatched conqueror. She could hardly place an identity onto that blurred individual. She had no idea what she had called from the Throne of Heroes, nor had she even truly expected to successfully perform the ritual.

But it happened. She had made something out of nothing. The Servant before her was nothing but a miracle, pulled out from the jaws of the world after shedding blood and enduring pain.

Shinobu didn't care who she was. A frail hand cupped the cool cheek of the Heroic Spirit, once again confirming a reality her eyes couldn't quite observe yet. The sinister brand burned itself into the back of her hand at touch, but that pain was too far away now to matter.

Too far away to stifle the sunflower smile that emerged, exposing rows of teeth stained with her own blood.

"Mary, Mary," a skinny girl exclaimed, "Look, we're in Paris!"

Running out of the airport terminal, Shinobu did a little twirl, before taking in a deep breath. It certainly smelled like Paris, a mixture of brackish water and perfume, accentuated with bread being baked. And though the buildings blocked it from view, she was absolutely positive that the Eiffel Tower was way more amazing up close than just viewed from a computer screen. They were finally here, and though the Grail War was definitely one that would cost lives, the excitement of being in a new place, a whole new CONTINENT, carved a great, goofy grin on her face.

A good two weeks had passed since the summoning ritual had gone, plenty of time for her to more or less heal from her injuries. There were still a few stubborn bruises that colored her ribs, and she walked with a bit of a limp and her right forearm was still bandaged up due to a burn, but outside of that, Shinobu felt like a million volts at the moment. Her tangled, brown hair swayed from side to side as she took pictures rapidly, blue eyes like lightning, before they refocused onto her chaperone.

Gesturing at her with the smartphone, Shinobu urged, "C'mon, Mary, let's take a commemorative selfie! First day in the capital of France and all!"

Artem liked the classics, even as it pertained to ritual summonings. Granted, 'classic' in this sense involved a few chickens and their blood upon marked ground, but the magical and the macabre had always had an accord. The real issue, then, was where to do it, because it would be a damn shame for a legendary hero's first sight to be a disheveled and poorly-kempt hotel room. This was Paris, for heaven's sake. The Eiffel Tower was probably not a viable option, but he could do better.

And that, more or less, was the mindset that led Artem Lilian Mor into Parc des Princes, the foremost football pitch of France. A Coliseum of modern construction, seating fifty-thousand; invigorating. In the dead of midnight, it was almost glorious. Getting in had been simple enough, Reinforcement of his legs had made scaling the walls possible, and Ihanet had rendered a few of the more vigilant security guards unconscious for the time being.

So there he was, Artem Lilian Mor and his gaggle of unfortunate chickens. It dawned on him then, surveying his doomed chicken companions, that he should not have worn white. Blood splatters on white clothing was such a cliche; he was going to look like an absolute maniac on his very first date with a legend. Ah well, said the mage, as he rather reluctantly slaughtered a chicken.

As you do, of course, when in Paris.

The summoning circle had been easy enough to draw upon park grounds, though it dawned on Artem, sadly, that he could have done with maybe one less dead chicken. The key component, however, had been a quite precious gift from the Romanian Magus association. A phoenix feather, wilted and dead, but a phoenix feather nonetheless, one attached to legend and myth alike.The rest, in theory, was also simple enough, the incantation, and the flow and transference of mana.

Fill, fill, fill, fill, fill.

So it began.

• Love
Reactions: Sightles
Sun Wukong felt the summoning coming, a strong force that seemed to pull at his very existence. Despite the violent force, Wukong could only feel happiness. As if this was all a long time coming. He felt his etheral form being given physical shape. He felt the connection to another living person.

A loud, thunderous boom filled the arena, echoing through it and creating enough noise that could likely be heard in very clearly in the surrounding city block. A large billowing cloud of smoke following next, obscuring the physical form of Wukong.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! IT FEELS SO GOOD TO BE BACK!" A voice, almost as thunderous as the boom that proceeded it, echoed from smoke.

As the smoke cleared, the figure was revealed. Standing in resplendent golden armor, with a equally resplendent face, stood the Monkey King. His arms streching out, as if he hadn't felt the freedom of movement for years. The Monkey cut an impressive figure, standing at nearly 6 feet tall, and showing his muscular physique even through his armor.

Finishing his stretching, and crossing his arms, the newly summoned Wukong glanced at his master. After a moment's consideration of his surroundings, and of his master, Wukong allowed a smirk. He could see the effort his master had gone through with summoning him. He could even see his catalyst laying down. Something that obviously wasn't easy to obtained.

"
I have to admit. You've done a good job of impressing me, Master." Wukong said, his thunderous boom now much more tamed and subdued. "Although, some rice wine wouldn't of gone amiss."

Considering his situation, Wukong could at least judge that his master seemed sufficient. He was receiving more than enough mana, for the time being.

Sun Wukong allowed time for his master to respond to him, wondering exactly what the first words out of his master's mouth would be.

ANNABELLE (COUNT ROLAND)
Even if she, a woman, a hero of the Frankish People and to that of the Holy Roman Emperor, Charlemagne was in the Throne of Heroes, she would still go through a loop of her life and especially to that of the Battle at the Roncevaux Pass. One that she could never forget, and a constant reminder about her one true regret.

Nevertheless, Annabelle was a heroic spirit who was being summoned. The magical energy that approached her existence in the Ring of Deterrence pulled her to a familiar realm. To a world she would barely if not remember at all from when she was alive. The legendary paladin did not have a physical form as of yet, but the Holy Grail had successfully chosen her for the war that was to come.

Strong gust of wind blew about in the room, turning any loose or light object around or if anything, crashing against the wall. Slowly but surely, her physical form was appearing before the stranger who had wished for her to battle for him. Moments later, she was standing in her bright armor. One that was to that of silver and golden. A fitting choice for someone like the legendary paladin herself.

The bright light from the magical energy that had collected in the room slowly decreased. It did not affect the Servant as much as it did her Master, or so she assumed. The Durandal also materialized in her hand only moments after. Standing there, she looked upon the man before her presence.

Before paying him any attention, she looked around, and from beneath her helmet, she gazed upon the strange room with her blue orbs. Squinting ever so slightly, Annabelle turned around. A lot came to her mind in that very moment. What year was this? What of the Frankish Empire? The Holy Emperor of the Romans, Charlemagne? Her twin brother, the coward Roland? However, the fact that she got a second chance in rectifying her past mistake was a good thing in her mind.

So many questions, but questions she would only keep to herself for the moment. With her back turned against her assumed Master, she eventually turned around after her observations of the room. It was time to introduce herself to the stranger.

"I am of class Saber."

"But, pardon my curious mind, are you my Master?" A female voice escaped her lips from beneath her helmet. Even if she could feel a connection with the unknown man, she had to be sure if what she assumed was actually the truth.
Interactions | Josef (@Sightles)

Gerald stood still for a moment while breathing slowly to calm himself. The several small cuts on his right arm slowly burn away leaving fresh small scars. He turned to look at the miracle before answering the man. All there was now are the small scars and a red tattoo. Three ornate daggers crossing each other facing towards his palm. He was looking back and forth blink repeatedly between his arm between and mysterious tall but handsome stranger.

"I'm not too sure what you mean by that. Maybe you have the wrong person?" Gerald laughed nervously, his lips were twitching as he laughed. He felt a cold sweat run down his neck. Several things were running through his mind, the light, blood, scars, tattoo and now a stranger in his room. Though he tried to control his breathing it starts to get erratic as the confusion slowly sets in. His legs were about to give as well from fatigue and shock. It wouldn't be a stretch if he were to lose consciousness but something kept him going, perhaps it's his mind piecing together a logical explanation from the series of bizarre events or maybe something base, what would happen if he fainted in front of the eccentric looking stranger? That would be totally embarrassing.

Gerald shakily points to a mini bar behind the man, before he takes a sit on the tiled floor, sweeping the broken glass to the side of the wall with a handkerchief he had in his left pocket just prior to sitting down. He shakes his head trying to focus, he wasn't thinking rationally maybe it was the blood that he lost. He sighs quietly, tired. "There's a fridge behind you, if you want a drink, No alcohol though. I'll just sit down here for a while. My name is Gerald by the way, nice uhh to meet you. I've no idea what just happened but maybe you can help me fill in the pieces?" Though his voice was shaking he tries hard to make it sound as casual as possible. While sitting he couldn't help but stare at his tattoo and carefully and softly tracing his finger from the tip to the hilt of the dagger but tears himself away from it. Then he turns to look back at the stranger, he looked different this time like a hero from those comic books under the dim lights.

Marianne

Two weeks was a long time to worry about the future. Living mostly went by in a blur of wonder and simple pleasures for the Servant. For one who remembered death, it was a foregone conclusion in her mind that she would never get to experience the joy of living 'normally' ever again. And yet, for two weeks, that was all she could do. She cooked, she cleaned, talked, washed, read, learned, explored... The events of her first fortnight already blurred together into a comfortable chain of indistinguishable experiences. It might not have been easy to pin a feeling like joy on the brooding servant, with her stony face and her forever absent, deadened eye. The one that was present never lost the tired, hopeless glare carved into her face. At every turn her nostalgia had been tempered by dread for what was to come. Struggle was her home, it only felt natural that she would return there, but she had no desire to see such things happen in her homeland.

And there was that smile. She would be there too, her Master. Premonitions of battle awoke memories of Paris in flames, the few times her city had been bombed from above and the countless times she had bombed it from within. Visions of the charred and shattered came to her, the wicked smile that cracked on the faces of the burned as their tissues shriveled into ash. That bloodstained, heartfelt smile flashed between them.

It had been two weeks.

"Mary, Mary," Her Master exclaimed, "Look, we're in Paris!"

So she was. Mary's eye widened in awakening. Even if she persisted in material form, her Master's words still had the power to call her from daydream to reality. The haze of the past few hours lifted from her mind. Traveling in a plane, talking in her native tongue once more, coming home. She'd even been awarded the privilege of doing so as a human. Even as they left the terminal the Servant resolutely clutched her forgery identification in her fist. To see it though, was more than to know she was home. The arches, the stone... Chunks had been taken away and renovated in the intervening years but even at their first footfall there were pieces of the Parisian design that had simply never changed. Archer was rooted to the spot. Her other hand clenched tightly around the carry handle of her first suitcase. She wanted to weep, to throw herself down and kiss the Earth that welcomed her return. The vibrant smell of life, the sounds of the people as they passed, this was no vision. As her Master spun with glee and snapped photos of the cityscape, she simply stood and stared, mouth ajar as she struggled to accept the impossibility of it all.

"Selfie?" The Servant mimed, drawn once again to that joyous voice. She tore her surprised expression away from the walls, solo eye latching onto the phone pointed in her direction. She wanted to smile back, and forced the corners of her mouth upwards for her comrade. "Ah, right."

She walked over to the waiting girl, passing her outstretched arm and turning alongside her. Archer's hand hesitated off of Shinobu's shoulder for a moment, wondering whether or not the bruises were still there. The girl couldn't hide her limp, and the two of them wore matching bandages for the moment. Her Master for an actual wound, and her a medical eyepatch to make her hollow socket less conspicuous. Her ability to conceal her nature as a Servant worked better if people had less reason to look her, after all. She put her worries aside. She'd seen her Master's strength. Mary's hand clasped confidently on her Master, the ID she'd been gifted jutting from between her fingers. The spindly Servant bowed to bring her head fully into frame, staring into the digital display of the world behind them. "Ouistiti," she lead, and bared her teeth.

Walter Moen
Stray pieces of demolished concrete continued to tinkle against the ground, a million rocks skittering excitedly outwards from the behemoth summoned where they had once been. Even before the ritual cleared Walter could perceive the immense mass of what he summoned, the forming Servant barely contained within the Cone even in a kneeling position. The background of harsh, pure light made his silhouette shine through the smoke for just an instant, but what he saw was not the wizened, aged body of the Caster he expected. Well, expected was a strong word. Blindly hoped fit the bill better, because in reality he had only thrown some anonymous obsidian into a summoning circle and hoped for the best. There were plenty of non Catalytic grail summonings written down, perhaps he'd simply ended up among them. That was almost more impressive, in a way?

It was over. The being inside the light stood, and whether it knew to do so or not it's motions demolished the magic circle. There was no feedback. Moen's lips curled in a smile of relief as the light show came to a sudden, intentional end. One last tempest cleaned the alleyway, the dust and rubble blown away in a final hail. With it, the foundations of his own, smaller circle crumbled. The symbols fizzled and hissed as they faded away, the basic amount of energy in them harmless even for such a rude method of breaking the circle.

A genuine giant rose up before him. The bronze physique of a god, the scent of the jungle, of battle, the commanding aura of a warrior, all announced the Heroic Spirit as it inspected itself and studied the container prepared for it. He ain't screaming yet, which means... He's complete? The diagnosis already began in his head, Walter's eyes nearly following the Servant's own in the course of looking for distortions or aberrations. Healing was about the only thing he could do, so if that was the extent of his summoning woes he'd count himself lucky.

It spoke. A voice like gravel rolled in his ears, shook his very core. How much force resided in that gargantuan frame, that even the air trembled as he spoke? The checklist in his head continued to tick itself. The man before him regarded him as a Master... His, though it felt strange to phrase it in such a way. In that moment he felt no mastery over the being with him. The identification of 'it' faded away with his professional procedure. In almost every higher function this was a human being, and somehow it had taken until words spilled from his mouth for Walter to come to terms with such a sordid reality.

To treat this man as anything but an Ends itself was unjust.

To consider him any more than a Means to the grail was improper, disrespectful of his position, his ambition. Walter had a ritual to perform, but one of a nature unlike anything he had ever tampered with. The man's jaw tightened. As he had said hours prior. This was supposed to be an evil thing, of human sacrifice and selfish struggle. That wouldn't deter him, this was his fate, the place he would claw out meaning for himself.

"Your end, huh? Guess I can relate." The Master let out a deep sigh of relief. "This place is Bounded and safe for the moment, if you wish to get your bearings or ask me any supplementary questions. I'm assuming this is your first check-up in a while. On my end, I've got a few to start us off. You're a Berserker Servant, right?"
That would serve to ascertain if he could converse normally or not. Was his madness on a trigger? It would be easy to guess, given his introduction.
"'Forgot to set up a means of Clairvoyance in here, so for now I can't tell anything the way Masters should."

Artem, ears ringing, had expected something over the top - legends, as it happened, rarely allowed for trifles like 'subtlety'. The Monkey King, however, made at least two whole revolutions and then shot through the roof into the moon. This was Wukong, the free-spirited one who turned Heaven into bedlam. If a bombastic voice and confident swagger were the only relevant criteria, he looked the part completely. He also happened to be wearing a few economies' worth of gold upon him, which also added to the effect. Quite a first impression.

He would have been the most impressive sight in the lifetimes of many. In truth, as far as Artem was concerned, the Monkey King likely did earn that distinction. Yet he felt himself numb, dulled to it, to that golden beacon of myth and legend. In his mind, it still paled in comparison to the face of the nameless woman, etched into his mind, engravings upon skull and bone.

"You're loud." Artem said, even-keeled. "I am sorry about the rice wine. But we're in Paris; let's go see if we can't get ourselves a nice champagne, yeah?"

There were a million other ways he could have approached his introduction. He could have given his name, but his name was meaningless. He could have given his wish, yet that was too soon. So for now, the promise of a pleasant beverage, if only to cover up the fact that his whites had in fact been tainted over with red.

"... and, uh, the chickens. Let's try and ignore those for now."

@Sightles

With a peace sign in one hand and her phone in the other, Shinobu adjusted it a few times, giving Mary the time to adjust her bared teeth into something more akin to a smile, until the golden ratio of Parisian architecture and cute girls was attained. A click of a shutter, and with that, their first duo picture of their trip to Paris was done! Humming a chirpy tune as she slid it back into her pocket, Shinobu took stock of her surroundings once more. Feeble as it was, she too had some capacity of a magus remaining in her, and drained as she was, she could at least make an attempt to sense whether or not other great magics were being worked within the city.

A few moments passed. Nothing. Which, considering her Origin, could just as easily mean everything.

Yeah, why did she even try? The smile on her face lost a bit of its voltage, before she immersed herself in the environment once more. From her carry-on backpack, the young magus pulled out a dark green scrunchie, tying her tangled hair back into a messy ponytail, before a tourist guide was pulled out as well. Popping it open, she let out a low whistle at just how far Paris was from the airport. It had looked so close when Shinobu checked with Google Maps, but now, with this sprawling physical map here? Her leg twitched, involuntarily, before she reminded herself that they weren't going to be walking there. It would be a good way to soak in the scenery, after all. Good time to plan a little more. Make preparations. Do research.

Try and figure out what type of people other Masters were.

"Alright," she said, turning back to her companion, "Let's go! First stop is Notre Dame! Gotta say 'hi' to the father and all, eh, Mary? Whatcha think about Paris anyways? Everything you imagined and more? Oh yeah, you know how to boat? It'd be great if we could just rent a small one and go down the Seine, right? Ah, and food! Japan's basically a powerhouse there, but what specialties do they have in Frenchland? Guh, but it's not like we're flush with cash either…"

Approaching the bus stop, Shinobu turned, wondering.

"Think we should get jobs or something? Like, street food stall?"

Reactions: DrowsyPangolin
Magician jargon went in one ear and out the other. In his mind there was some vague understanding of what was being said with those words, but most likely the Servant did not care about the roundabout means Masters usually dealt with Servants. Speak to me plainly, speak to me concisely. It was all he had wanted from his masters in Tlaxcaltec, from Montezuma, and now from this mage. Location and time were irrelevant, but upon being spoken to the Servant spared more of his attention to his surroundings. Concrete surrounded him on all sides. Debris littered the ground from his summoning, and nearby there were others signs of rubbish. Food wrappers, crumpled boxes, tied up plastic bags of refuse. "Berserker," the statue of a man finally replied after growing tired of taking in his surroundings, deciding he was as uninterested in his new location as he had been of Mexico City during his time under Montezuma's employ. His fingers around the hilt of his macuahuitl slowly unfurled, and once they fully left the weapon it evaporated into a flurry of blue light.

Again he flexed his arms, the biceps and forearms tightening, showing the ridiculous amounts of power within both of them. One of his hands closed into a fist and slammed into his chest, enough power in the blow to create a small gust of wind outwards, making his hair flutter briefly in the air movement. The last he had felt against his chest had been the knife sliding inside of him. To feel the blow against his chest was another reassurance. He was alive. Of a sort. He was alive again. With that realization came the cycle once more - he was alive, but away from his people. A servant to a new master. Destined tofight wars never of his own choosing, under the mastery of rulers not his own. One of his brows twitched, and he could feel the anger build. The resentment that was at the core of his being now, being summoned as a Berserker. He took a breath and held it. The Servant's massive arms crosed over his chest as he finally let out a long exhale, seeming to calm with the swirl of rage that ever boiled now.

"You relate? Hrmm," the Servant grumbled, his brow furrowing. There was silence for a time as his deep brown eyes merely stared at his Master, as if sizing up his worth. By his height, his bearing, he was most likely around the age he had been himself when he took the Trial of Stone. Humans of this era lived far longer than the people of his time. In his short life time he had fought and died. What had this man done in the same amount of time? "Tlahuicole," the Servant said suddenly, spitting out his True Name unceremoniously. "Your name, white man. I wish too to know how you relate to me."

Marianne

Mary relaxed as she heard the shutter sample play. Her understanding of such rituals felt secondhand a best, but it wasn't as if she disliked them. The spirit of youth was the same in any age, and that sort of carefree, simple behavior was beautiful. It wasn't such a bad photo either, she decided. As the two broke away she returned to staring at her city. It was far too easy to absentmindedly pan over the ancient shapes, their grit and age as apparent at a distance as if she were running her bare fingertips over the cobbles. It was more than enough sightseeing for her.

Archer performed one last check of herself before entering the city, pocketing her ID as her Master rummaged for something. Naturally, she'd come into the country without armament. She would stay that way for quite some time, as well. For the moment, they were two almost ordinary women entering the country. Manifesting at least something for close protection saved time and mana for the battlefield, but it would mean revealing her bizarre and conspicuous magical presence as a Servant to even the most casual observers. How many familiars circled with the birds over the city? What audacious Master was waiting to destroy the bus they rode in on? That was more like it. Those thoughts comforted her in a cruel way, reminded her that she hadn't lost all of it in just a few weeks.

Shinobu whistled, and Mary's head popped up to see what provoked the her exclamation. The map in her hands outlined the path of shuttles and tour buses through the city. Her head nodded once as she took note of some of the key differences. Just as she'd expected from the city's new appearance, there were places in the street plan that were entirely new. Before she could take a better gander at the layout of her city her Master conducted an abrupt about face, pelting her with sudden questions.

"Right."

"It looks better now."

"... Rafts, but they all work the same, right?"

"Everything becomes a specialty in a French kitchen." Her smoky voice said so defiantly. "And remains a specialty out of the trash, too," She added at the mention of money, more to see a reaction than anything. That was an unwholesome truth of another life, not this one. Before she could even suggest it her Master mentioned working. The thought had crossed her mind a couple of times. There were many dishonest ways to sustain oneself, and many dishonest people who had no true need of their worldly assets. It was an option, but in the face of such an innocent suggestion she couldn't brusquely say 'No, we're going to toss gangsters for their cash, Shinobu. Here's a gun.'

"It would let us embed ourselves in the population." The Servant sporting a clearance 'I <3 Kyoto' T-shirt said. "As long as we can find a place to hire us both. I don't like the idea of being separate from you in this kind of terrain."

The squeak of air brakes announced the arrival of one of the terminal's buses. As tourists piled into it, Mary motioned towards the folding door and made ready to follow her Master. Scrolling orange lights announced their destination, but what mattered was that in a (absolutely traffic packed) couple dozen kilometers they would be within central Paris.

Walter Moen

His words seemed to warrant no reply. No reply, he reminded himself, was better than a violent one. Records spoke of the volatile nature of even civilized servants. After all, they had been summoned to do a very grave thing, many were none but the most powerful of their age. It made sense that they had no mind to suffer foolish and weak magi. Summoning a Berserker changed his expectations completely: There were no bonds of civility to evoke here. He would have to befriend this perfect warrior with no martial prowess of his own. No, perhaps such a happy solution was impossible. He'd wait and see. The Servant ascertained his Class after a considerable silence, and if nothing else he was glad to have that affirmation.

Walter nodded quietly, adjusting his procedures. What procedures? He was off without a clue and winging it as usual. That was a new way to look at it, one way that hadn't occurred to him in the short time he'd walked Paris' streets. It wasn't his field, but learning from scratch was his element. His pondering went on as the Berserker pounded at his chest and affirmed the functions of his body. Vaguely, he could sense anger building within the man, but supposed there was little he could do about something he couldn't yet discern the source of. He had no intention of lording over anyone in his life, if the Servant had demands for him he could only hope they'd be voiced before violence was chosen. When he finally did look up, he realized with some discomfort that the Servant had only stopped examining itself to examine him. His skin tingled, about the only reaction one could have when they were studied by a living embodiment of murderous intent. "Tlahuicole," it uttered. It was a name vaguely familiar to him, one that certainly fit the culture he appeared to originate from. A hero in Nahua tradition. And then it asked him his.

"The name's Walter Moen. Your people would call me a tetonaltih, or a nahualli in their time. I'm a healer, I've got no business being here, not sure how I ended up getting picked for it."
But that wasn't the kind of relation the other man was probably looking for. Part of him still refused to acknowledge it, wondered if he was correct to extrapolate such a thing from a simple remark by his Servant. Perhaps that was the nature of the instinctive link between Servant and Master. There was little other explanation in his mind for how such a simple utterance from Berserker had brought to mind all the philosophical meanderings of the past forty eight hours. What could he do, Ramble like a madman about silly things like fate?
"But I'm looking for my ending here." That was simple and truthful. Nothing to make him look too insane in front of the guy with Mad Enhancement, right? "If the Grail demands that I fight in this thing, there must be some reason why. If, somehow, the meaning of my life is to die in this ritual, I'm here to receive it."

One of his brows twitched as familiarity hit him, hearing the names for the healers of his era. More particular, healers of the soul. It only fit, a healer of the body had no place in this war, he came to being with enough knowledge to know that. To add to that, it was not as if he would accept any healing of the body once battle commenced. "A healer at the forefront of a war such as this," the Servant grumbled, the beginnings of a chuckle in his throat, sharing in his Master's confusion at his place in this battle. But the chuckle died as his mind moved forward. His Master continued to speak, answering his Servant's question and after a moments thought, the warrior considered the answer satisfactory. If anything, it had earned him some more of his Servant's respect. "We will function together well then," he uttered, and with that said, he finally took a lumbering step outside of the now ruined circle he had been summoned within.

It felt good to walk again, despite the continuation of his shame his rebirth presented to him. The wind against his skin, even if the air was squalid compared to the fresh smells of the jungle or the scent of marching past vast fields of maize. "To war then, Walter," he said as he stepped beside the Magi. He looked downwards to the man, before he looked towards the opening of the alleyway ahead, his muscles tense. "Do you know of our enemies yet? Their strengths, their proximity? I wish to begin."

Following such a powerful statement, a moment of silence passed before the Servant took in a breath.

"After I am fed," the warrior said flatly.

"Eh, eh?" Shinobu tilted her head to the side at Marianne's comment about food, "Out of the trash? What's that supposed to mean?"

Curiosity melted away into enthusiasm though, the young girl giving her partner a quick hug. "D'aw," she sighed, "I don't want to be separate from you too, Mary! And I'm already, like, seven steps ahead of yah! We can do an ice cream cart! Or be street performers! Or a dog walking program! Ice cream cart's probably the only one that can get us a steady amount of money though…"

Walking into the air conditioned bus, Shinobu bowed quickly towards the bus driver, before swinging her backpack onto the racks above, and sliding a suitcase below the seats. Grabbing one by the window, she continued to talk about her wonderful ice cream truck plans for a fair amount of time, from the products they'd present to how they could plan their route to hit all the most popular spots of Paris in order to grab all the attention of tourists, to how they could probably get away with only working three days a week, because they would be self-employed, to how they could do discounted ice cream prices as it reaches evening.

But eventually, as traffic slowed to a crawl, the warmth of the sun felt even within the cozy, air conditioned shuttle, Shinobu's excitement faded. Soon, all that sounded from her was light snores as the young master dozed off against her servant's shoulder.

There was, after all, a seven hour difference between Japan and France.

Josef Maximilian von Habsurg

A woman.

A woman.

Josef, initially ignoring, Saber's questions, glanced down at his summoning circle. Had he made a mistake? He was to summon
the Count Roland. Josef couldn't stop a small smile on his face.

Brushing away his confusion, and his slight annoyance at what his once beautifully decorated room at become, Josef beamed at Saber, "Why, yes I am, Saber." Josef was happy nonetheless with the end result. He had summoned, categorically at least, the strongest servant in the Grail War.

Bending down to pick up a preserved bottle of champagne, and a only slight cracked glass, Josef kept his image of joy. "I wasn't expecting such an entrance, but I guess I should have expected one, since I was dealing with the Saber class." Josef joked, popping the champagne bottle with a loud 'POP'.

In all reality, Josef should have planned for much more. It was only now he realized how everything was so rushed, and poorly planned. No doubt that he'll be receiving a call from the lobby desk soon, asking what the commotion was.

Pouring the sparkling liquid into the cracked vessel, Josef could only muse to himself about his failings. Picking up the half-full glass, he stretched out his hand towards Saber, intending her to take it, "My name is Josef, by the way." Josef introduced, without much fanfare besides a pleasant smile.

Picking up a chair that had been knocked over, Josef took a seat, "We're currently in Paris, France. I am guessing by the catalyst I used to summon you that you are familiar with the region?" Maybe the servant he had summoned was Count Roland. It wasn't all too terribly rare for a female to take the place of a male, either by disguise or the twist of legend and myth, "I hope that I am guessing correctly that you are Count Roland, the famous paladin of Charlemagne legend, and leader of the Twelve Peers?" Josef had to do a bit more extra studying in the last week to fully understand Count Roland's history. The past of the knight was incredible. Josef couldn't help but feel a little envious of achievements and legends he read. Quiet the laundry list of accomplishments, especially if the woman in front of him was Count Roland of history.

SUN WUKONG

Sun Wukong snarled as Artem replied to him, "Hey, hey, hey, what's the deal with this then?" Sun Wukong wasn't so much annoyed by what Artem said, but by the fact that his Master wasn't even impressed by the Monkey King's introduction.

Before his grumbling could really start, or before he could realize the actual oddity of the use of the chickens, Sun Wukong's new mind snapped to. He did not know everything there was about this world, but he knew enough. Champagne was an expensive alcohol. It was hard for him to pin down any other real information about it, however. His knowledge of it was fuzzy, and incomplete, as if he had only been told about champagne by someone who had a approximate knowledge of what the substance was.

To match his new knowledge, Wukong's snarl turned into a devious smirk, "Excellent idea, Master. I guess that's why your the Master and I'm merely the servant." Wukong let out a deep chuckle, enamored by his own humor.

Clad in his golden armor, arms folded, and his majestic phoenix cap slightly fluttering in the gentle breeze, Sun Wukong was prepared to follow his Master out into public, fully embracing the chase for expensive alcohol. "So, I am to assume that there will also be women and food, at this champagne place?" Sun Wukong inquired, his same devious smirk on his face.

"I mean, what better way to celebrate winning this war?" Obviously referring to the fact that his Master managed to summon him. Undoubtedly showing that his arrogance had no bounds. "You'll just have to sit back and relax, Master. Let the Great Sun Wukong take on all comers, and leave you victorious."