A

Asuras

Original poster
5IukYi3.png

Night falls upon the destined arena.
In several passings of the heavens comes a growing tremor of heavy bells
Ringing doom upon ground and sky.

A suffocating alley.

Few things feature here in the quintessential result of Japanese city living. A tiny potted plant sits on the edge of a concrete wall surrounding but one of several residencies cramped in the area. A bike leans against a rack carelessly unchained with the helmet still hanging from its handlebar. A dirty puddle sits in the corner, collecting moisture from the sea air.

The road just beyond the terminal walkway is devoid of souls, and the lights of the homes around it are blown out. Everyone has fallen asleep at this time -even the night dwellers. A cat passes by the alley, ears tuning to something only it can hear. A mouse? The faint scratch of a bug falling from a branch? The cat's back arches suddenly, and it darts away from the scene.

There was no rumbling to announce the coming crack in the air. There is only a transient shudder in the air around a brick wall, and the structure is cleaved in two. A deep fissure splits up its length before darting into the ground, tearing concrete and digging up dirt buried beneath. The puddle of water spontaneously evaporates, succeeded by the sound of energetic crackling. A red and black electricity sparks out into the alley from nothingness, followed by a growing storm of arcane phenomena.

An orb of energy bursts into existence at the heart of the alley, strangely silent save for the persistent snapping of electricity. The potted plant is lit aflame as a black bolt zaps its tender flesh. Blackness envelops the ground, sweeping out like a puddle of mud from the orb until it seeps out into the street beyond. As suddenly as the scene unfolds, it bends inwards, warping the fabric of reality as if bursting into a smaller form. The blackness retracts, and electricity subsides.

In its wake stands a tall, lanky figure, his face covered by an eerie mask. Though he had arrived on the scene at that moment, his attire was already stained red with copious blood. It took him a moment before he even turned his head, surmising his surroundings with the blank gaze of his white mask.

Without hesitation, he set out of the alley. With every footstep, the distant cries of a tortured soul whispered upon the air.

a18f704bb2.jpg

What was he even doing?

That was Tristan's train of thought as he stood on top of the roof of his living quarters. It was a small house in a modest area of Sasebo. The money his parents had stored away made it easy enough for him to rent the place out for the duration of his stay without raising any questions. It was convenient and actually a quite comfortable living space.

Yet, while he had only intended to investigate his parents' deaths, he had been roped up in something he didn't plan for. His mother had told him about the 'Holy Grail War', summoning servants - historical figures - to battle for some magic grail. Somehow, even after finding out his mother was some sort of magi, he had still struggled to believe that. It had seemed too far fetched, but here he was. Attempting to summon a servant after being selected as a master.

'This is ridiculous.' He thought as he finished drawing the summoning circle on the surface of the roof. 'Better get this over with.' He said as he began the ritual, hoping he lucked out with catalyst. The only thing Tristan knew about his would be servant, based on the catalyst, is that it shared a connection with a Greek Hero. Maybe if he was lucky he'd get someone like Alexander the Great or Heracles.

That would be cool.

Still, as the summoning circle reacted to the ritual and the circle began to glow until it was blinding, Tristan was forced to cover his eyes. Though, while still partially blinded, he knew the ritual had been complete and the presence of another individual was evident.

His servant.

She took a deep breath, looking down at the circle before her as the breeze lilted softly through the small patch of trees she had chosen for her summoning ground. It was quiet, secluded, or at least as secluded as she could hope for on such short notice. Still, it was a much better option than attempting to summon a Heroic Spirit in her tiny hotel room.

Sylvia looked from her hand and back to the circle. She had never planned for this. Such a thing had never even crossed her mind. She had heard rumors of some bizarre ritual in the Far East, but the thought of actually taking part in it... No, actively taking part in any sort of conflict was strictly opposed to her nature. To fight, to harm, to cause pain to others, these were things she had vowed never to do. No, it was more than that. To harm another was, for her, the same as dying. That being the case, she had decided not to fight... But not fighting was not the same as not participating. Her Servant was supposed to do the fighting, and she would aid her champion the best way she knew how: by keeping him in good health.

It wasn't as if such a paradoxical choice was too strange for her. She had healed soldiers before. Those soldiers had almost certainly went on to harm others. That was none of her concern. She could only help and heal, she could not change the minds of others nor control their actions. If someone was hurting, it was in her nature to ease their pain. If someone was dying, it was in her nature to save them through every means at her disposal. Her only reservation was never directly harming someone herself. That was the step she could not take. If she ever did that she would lose herself entirely. Still, she would take part in this Grail War. She and her Servant would succeed and obtain the Grail. With that prize, she could do untold good for the world. With a miracle, she could save those who were beyond her power to save. It was a worthy goal, but a goal she could not kill her ideals to obtain. Thus, she would win the Grail the only way she knew how.

The thought had occurred to her, though, that her partner in this conflict might not be as benevolent as herself. A hateful Servant would make things difficult, if not impossible. She could not abide someone who was supposed to be her ally harming the innocent. She did not want to join herself to a killer, and she could not aid in cruelty. No, she desperately hoped that her Heroic Spirit would be just what he or she was supposed to be: a hero. If everything went as she hoped, she would summon some chivalrous knight, some brave guardian of justice and honor. Still, there was no way of being certain of the outcome, so she was nervous.

She took one last breath to reassure herself before raising her hand above the circle. The summoning chant flowed out smoothly from her lips.

As she spoke, the circle began to seethe with a bright light, and a gust of wind whipped at Sylvia's coat and scarf. The brilliant light forced her to squint, but she held her ground against the gust. It was difficult to see, but she could make out a figure forming in that brilliant light, and though she could not make out who it was yet, she could already feel her previous anxiety fading away.

"So... bright..."

Was this it? The feeling of 'life'? The feeling of her mind, being stimulated into some 'real world', once more? She could remember her men. She could remember watching that golden sky, the red trickling all over her, the tears of her men carrying her back 'home'.

But she never made that journey.

Now... her 'purpose'... was tied to someone else altogether. It was equally exciting, and terrifying. To be given a 'second chance' to protect, and help those who needed help to stand against the 'unbeatable', rise against the odds. But there was something in her memory that felt 'faded'.

"Dark... there is something... there is something... I can't... I--"

A faint, quiet voice came from the unfinished circle, like someone was talking in their dreams, before the surrounding air seemed to suck into the air, total silence occurring for but a second, before an ethereal hum sounded around the point of summoning.

A gush of warm, golden air spilled out from the summoning circle, contrasting against the bluish blackness of the nighttime sky. Even in this gloomy evening, for a brief moment, the breeze itself felt like one of a sunny dawn. A feminine figure materializing itself from the circle, the vivid outline of a streaming silver ponytail clear as the stars.

As her whole body came into this world, and the blinding light and shimmering breeze faded, both of her hands tightly gripped around the long, bronze grip of a spear to keep herself propped up. Her breaths were heavy, her eyes closed, a cold sweat on her forehead. Something about this summoning, whilst it was performed perfectly well, seemed to be 'off'.

Her body was clad in what appeared to be silvery armour, greek symbols of a long-forgotten town adorning the chestpiece. Faded yellow cloth flowed around her where armour didn't, and the long, wide, shining tip of her lance that exceeded her in height shone like a spring morning, a very faint mist emitting from the tip of her weapon.

Something felt wrong. She couldn't decode what this 'wrong' feeling was. It almost felt as if... something had come along with her, and it wasn't attached to her body itself. Who was she?

No... she could remember that, at least. She was Agamede, the hope within the dawn, that history had forgotten. But why did she feel like something 'rotten' was attached to her? If it wasn't for her partial excitement that she now had duties, maybe that fear would've lingered further.

Two eyes, coloured like a sunset-filled sky, finally flickered open.

She observed, across this starry rooftop, this figure that would be commanding her every move from now on. She watched his golden-blonde mane of hair gently flicker in the evening wind. She looked at the narrow, blue eyes, that looked somewhat... confused, and concerned.

Her heavy breaths dissipating along with the long javelin, slowly, the Lancer moved across to her master. Extending a hand slowly, she placed a pale, yet warm hand over his heart, with little to no hesitation.

Ba-dum. Ba-dum.

Closing her eyes for a second, her lips curled into a slight smile. One of Lancer's fears were at ease now, at least.

"I hear you. ...G... good evening, Master." the young woman's voice was soft, and somewhat timid, yet the slightly accented tone carried an unseen strength deep within it. Gently taking her palm away from his heart, she bought the hand over her own, looking content for a moment as the girl mumbled something in an ancient language, before returning back to normal dialect.

"I am the 'Lancer', Agamede, the bringer of the golden breeze many years ago. Though, in this foul wind... I-I... I suppose you didn't summon me for a history lesson."
Her smile faded, as her sunset yellow eyes squinted towards the skies. "Something is very... wrong... in this midnight air... but together, we can overcome it. Your heart sounds pure; it beats slow and with good intention. I will do my best to protect you, no matter the hardships that come our way."

Saying all of that had been somewhat nerve-wracking. The off-chance she'd misjudged him, and her life in this world would be her being forced against her will to do terrible things, was still an option.

Perhaps her doubt would be confirmed soon, but her intuition was usually correct about such things. Joining her Master's side, Lancer looked up into the stars, her gaze somewhat... distant. There was a 'disturbed' feeling visible in her eyes; she was still feeling somewhat uneasy about the strange feeling of carrying something 'unnatural' along with her, as well as this grimy feeling in the night sky.

"Where is our first destination? Or..." she turned her head, smiling a little teasingly, "...Did you, u-um... not plan this far ahead? It almost looks like you were expecting someone else."

Last edited by a moderator:
Trekking through the mountains of China for the last month had yet to strip the magus of his resolve. He had already decided to stay however long it took to complete his search. Fortunately, his perseverance was rewarded. The magus crested the last rocky rise, revealing an abandoned and forgotten monastery, now naught but a ruin. Its former majesty was evident in its construction and detail, though its age and tragic fate was similarly obvious down to where a large section of roof had collapsed.

The magus pulled down the hood of the local heavy woolen robes he wore for warmth. Close-cropped black hair whipped around a sharply-chiseled face on the wind. The monastery was on its own precipice, with at least a significant gap between the rise he stood on and the edge. A conventional traveler would need to climb all the way back down, cross, then climb up to the monastery.

Harry Hawksguard was not conventional.

He spoke softly under his breath and felt what few magic circuits within him burn as they activated. Another soft phrase passed his lips and his od, his mana, flooded the runes he had tattooed on his legs. The familiar tingling on his flesh was all he needed to know that his legs would be more than human, for the time being. He exhaled and jumped.

A conventional man would have fallen to his death. Hawksguard was not conventional.

He was a magus.

Superpowered legs shot him into the air and absorbed the force of the landing, leaving two foot-sized craters in the rock. He let out another breath, this time of anticipation. He was here, at the monastery all his research indicated as the most magically-attuned location to summon his intended Servant, Sun Wukong the Monkey King.

Hawksguard sent mana down his arm, activating the runic tattoos located there, and pushed open the heavy monastery doors with magically-enhanced strength. He walked to the center of the monastery's main hall, his steps causing dust undisturbed in centuries to dance around his feet. There was old power here; at one time, Taoist sages studied and achieved enlightenment. All were dead, now, this particular sect's legacy forgotten long ago.

Hawksguard set down his bag and got to work. He had taken care to ensure that the containers of various inks and brushes sustained no damage on his journey. He spent a good hour preparing the summoning circle, making sure each stroke was perfect. Given the few magic circuits he had, he couldn't afford a flawed casting. He added runes of his own to the circle, anchor points so that ambient energy from the monastery itself would feed into the summoning spell he was about to cast. It cost him dearly to get the writing materials he needed for those specific runes and they took time to write. But they were worth it if they augmented his attempt.

At last, he was done. He drew forth the final item from his bag: a tattered, yellowed scroll. Chinese characters were written upon it, with a mysteriously erased part in the middle. Supposedly, the scroll was "Death's Book," the very one Sun Wukong had sought out and from which he erased his name on one of his successful attempts at obtaining immortality. This would be his catalyst and his best bet in calling forth the Monkey King. It, too, had cost Hawksguard dearly. The wounds on his body had long healed, but the scars remained as testament to what he sacrificed for it.

He laid the scroll at the center of the circle and chanted:

"Fill. Fill. Fill. Fill. Fill.

"Let each be turned over five times, simply breaking asunder the fulfilled time.

"Let silver and steel be the essence. Let stone and the archduke of contracts be the foundation.

"Let my great master be the ancestor.

"Raise a wall, against the wind that shall fall. Close the four cardinal gates. Come out from the crown. Rotate the three-branched road reaching the Kingdom.

"I shall declare here. Your body shall serve under me. My fate shall be with your sword. Submit to the beckoning of the Holy Grail. If you will submit to this will and this reason…… then answer!

"An oath shall be sworn here! I shall attain all virtues of all of Heaven. I shall have dominion over all evils of all of Hell!

"From the Seventh Heaven, attended to by three great words of power, come forth from the ring of restraint, Protector of the Balance!"

With each line of the aria, he felt his essence ripped from him and into the circle. Too late, he wondered if this was a mistake. It was pulling on him too much, more than he anticipated! The runes he added to the circle did their work, drawing from the monastery to taken the burden off him, but it wasn't going to be enough!

He was strangely at peace with the idea of dying in this attempt, though. He'd always been taught that walking the path of a magus was to walk alongside death. Fitting that his undoing would be using Death's Books as a catalyst.

However, being at peace with it didn't mean go out without a fight.

"Come on," he grunted through the agony tearing through his body, "just a little more...!"

The circle glowed, lightning crackled along the ink, and then white light erupted all around him. He very nearly passed out, but instead was simply thrown to the ground. When he looked up, someone stood in the center....

What?

No, seriously, what the fuck?

He had ordered up one Greek Hero, right? This was not what he was expecting. Unless the history books had lied to him, he doubted Alexander the Great or Heracles were supposed to be female. Or maybe American education was actually just that bad. Perhaps he had done something wrong? Maybe he summoned a Heroic Spirit from a different 'pantheon', so to speak?

He just really wanted to know why his Servant was so cute. Were all Servants this cute?

If he hadn't been paralyzed by his confusion, he probably would have taken a step back when she approached him. But, his paralysis swiftly ended when a hand was placed on his chest and he felt his face heat up. Did she just call him 'Master'? Of course she would, but this was too much too soon. None of this was going how he imagined it would - this all seemed like the set-up to one of the doujins he read.

The Lancer Class, Agamede.

Well, least he knew who she was. He even had a slight feeling he had seen the name before when researching Greek history for a paper when he was in school. Everything else she said practically went over his head, in all honesty. Something about the air being wrong, his heart being pure and overcoming whatever while she protects him.

"You're really cute." He blurted out the first thing that came to mind when she inquired about where they'd be heading and if he had expected someone else. "I didn't think you'd be this cute." Tristan knew that his 15 year old self would probably be horrified at the prospect of ever out and out saying such a thing to a girl.

"I-It was a catalyst for a Greek Hero, so I... I wasn't expecting... Like. You know." He motioned towards... All of her. "Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed or anything, far from it! But I'm still adjusting!" Tristan laughed awkwardly, the most nervous of laughs. Slowly, he regained his composure, coughing into his fist before clearing his throat.

"I am Tristan Kurosawa, your Master." He said as the contract was finalized, though he noticed something strange. On the back of his right hand, his command seals appeared. But, there was something really, really wrong. It was only supposed to be 3, right? So why was there 4? His eyebrows furrowed, but he merely shoved his hand inside his pocket. He'd worry about that later. "Also, I didn't really plan on heading anywhere, truthfully. Just figured I'd go ahead and summon you then figure it out from there, y'know?" He shrugged before motioning for her to follow him.

Walking along the roof, he crouched down and pushed on a section of the surface, causing it to collapse downwards, unfolding into a series of stairs that led back into the house. Normally such a thing would be used for an attic, but the house had been designed to allow for easy roof access. Why? He could only guess so the resident could easily take in the sights at night, when the city's beauty truly seemed to shine.

Descending back into the house, Tristan exited the hallway before stepping aside to give Agamede room to pass.

"So, like... Are you hungry? Or anything like that? I have... Food. Stuff."

Not for nothing was the embodiment of a Servant's legend called a Noble Phantasm.

An incarnated fiction of the highest quality, befitting a being of outstanding character, whether good or evil.
Whether they walked in the light or the dark, one could not become a Heroic Spirit by doing anything less than towering above each and every other around them.
In that sense, every Servant in themselves was the epitome of "an individual".

A Servant was noble.
A Servant was heroic.
A Servant was honourable.
A Servant was upstanding.
A Servant was to tend to their Master's will until the ends of the earth.

Harry Hawkguard, in that sense, was an ideal Master to a Servant.

And yet, fate, destiny, and chance had come together on this night and discussed him.

Ay, let's fuck him up, they had collectively said.

Sun Wukong was a Servant.
But Sun Wukong was none of those things.
No, what Sun Wukong was, above all else, was hungry.

And so, when the darkness cracked open into the night air, Sun Wukong's first instinct was to look around for food.

It took her around fifteen seconds to realise where she was standing.
"Hey, wait, what the hell?!"
This place was a mess. Why was it a mess?
She hadn't smashed it up this bad. At least, she was pretty sure.
With a single bound, she leapt right up to the boundary of the monastery's hall and peered through a hole in the wall.
Actually, this particular one might have been her fault after all.

Her heart leapt into her throat.
Having stayed still for a moment, she had suddenly lost her appetite.
Something smelled gross.
Rotting meat, burning hair, sulphur, dung, all wrapped up together and made so much worse.
Sun Wukong had been to the depths of Hell.
Never before had she encountered something so vile.
It was not her nose that smelled it, but her body stank, like something had vomited inside it.

Eh, probably nothing a little[sic]​ alcohol couldn't clear out.

She barrelled around the room a little more, curious as to what exactly had changed while she was away, not even paying the slightest bit of attention to her summoner.

Yeah, if nothing else, this was certainly a Berserker.

Reactions: Razilin
Harry stared at the rambunctious ball of energy before him. Partially it was from awe at seeing a Heroic Spirit in person. The majority was from bafflement. This girl-child was Sun Wukong? Where in the Monkey King's legend was he actually a queen? Harry was expecting a trickster, a shapeshifter, a cunning rogue who's resourcefulness would match his own and aid him in the coming Grail War in Japan. This girl seemed distracted, completely ignoring him, moving about the hall like an animal exploring the terrain, seemingly distracted by every small detail. He was to work with this?

It was going to be a far cry from what he was used to. As an Enforcer of the Mage's Association, he was accustomed to working in teams of other professionals, operating within small-group tactics to eliminate mystic threats like Dead Apostles, Sealing Designates, and renegade mages. Clinical efficiency, straightforward effectiveness -- that was his world for more than twenty years. Not a ravenous fur-ball of a girl.

Even more baffling -- and he was still trying to work his brain around this truth -- was that this girl was Sun Wukong.

He watched her silently as she scampered around the main hall. Powerful leaps carried her about with the agility of her moniker. Harry studied the way her wiry form moved, the power in her lean muscles, and realized that even if she seemed undisciplined, she was still a creature beyond human capabilities.

"Servant," he said to the girl, trying to gain her attention. When his first call failed, he said with more sternness and authority, "Servant Berserker! I am Harry Hawksguard, Enforcer of the Mage's Association and your Master! Be still!"

Suddenly, he gasped as fire erupted on the back of his left hand he stared as the Master's Command Seals appeared. Only...there was a fourth sigil. Odd. All his research indicated that the summoning ritual was very specific with consistent results. There were only supposed to be three Command Seals. A question for later. He shook his hand, as if to flick away something off the sigils; it made the pain better. For now, he had a rambunctious Servant to reign in.

"Berserker, be still," he said again, "or I will use one of these Command Seals. I'd rather work with you, than use you. You and I -- we've a lot of work to do in Japan...."

Berserker rushed straight up to him, the two practically touching noses.
"Hey, it's a human. What's up, human?"
A look of mild disappointment slowly formed over her face.
"Are you my Master?"
She scuttled around him a little, pulling at the folds of his clothes curiously.
"You don't seem very exciting."
She glanced at his Command Seals and poked at them.
"So by process of elimination, you must be a Magus!"

A cloud seemed to spontaneously appear in front of him, and she dropped onto it with a faint poof.
"Hawksguard-xiansheng?" she said ponderously. "Harry-de? Harry-xiong?"
She furrowed her brow. "Hmm... Harry-shi for now," she seemed to come to some sort of conclusion.
The cloud was raised into the air some two or three metres, standing up and folding her arms.
"Harry-shi!" she declared. "You have summoned, I, Sun Wukong, strongest Servant! Out of all of them! Ever!"
A completely blatant lie was uttered with such confidence it was very easy to wonder if she actually believed it herself.
No, she probably did.
"As a Servant, I require sustenance!"
She paused for a moment, and then tilted her head.
"Japan?"

The magus palmed his face. His Servant, it seemed, was indeed a child -- in mentality if not in truth. Her lack of respect for personal space, focus on basic needs such as food, shorthand of a complex name for her native tongue -- it all fit with someone who truly should not be involved in something like the Grail War.

And yet, 'humanity is a parade of fools and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton,' or so the saying goes, Harry mused. If Berserker had even half of the abilities her legend claimed, then he might yet come out of this Grail War on top. But with a Servant, he thought, it would take finesse....

He regarded the girl's inquiring look at him.

...Or a lot of food.

The magus reached into the trail-worn bag at his side and fished out his provisions. It wasn't much; he'd had to live off what little he could find on the rocky terrain for the last few days in the hope of rationing enough food for the return trip home. But he handed Sun Wukong some fruit he plucked off a tree he found along the way to the monastery.

"It won't be very filling, I'm afraid," he admitted, "but it should tide you over. And yes, Japan."

He sighed. He wasn't looking forward to returning to Japan. "Specifically, Sasebo, Japan. The Holy Grail War is about to begin, Berserker. Together, we can win and claim the Grail's wish-granting power for ourselves." A desperate promise, that Grail wish, and one Harry had sacrificed much for even the ghost of a chance to attain.

How many corpses did I leave in my wake since I began this path? he wondered. A rhetorical question, really. He knew exactly how many he'd killed in the last few years. To be a magus was to walk with death, he recalled the old mantra, adding his own twist: How rightly, then, that I bring death with me to others.

"You see, Berseker, I have a wish." How to communicate to this simple, yet powerful, creature his heart's desire? The twisted lives that gave birth to it? In the end, the magus settled to speak to the child as a child. "It is a secret wish. A special wish. If I can get it, I will make a lot of people very happy. Like you, for instance. Food makes you happy. If I get my wish, you will always have food. Everyone will always have what makes them happy."

He extended a hand to her. "What do you say, poppet?"

Blinking with a half-open mouth, Lancer was looking somewhat confused as to why her Master was stumbling about blushing, as if he was intoxicated. Had she come into the service of a drunkard? Then, she realized what he'd actually said.

"...Huh?"
she echoed, looking around herself to make sure he meant her. ...Cute? Cute, as in... pretty? Or 'cute' as in weak and harmless? Was he trying his best not to be disappointed? Whatever he meant, Lancer looked very, very confused. However romance worked, surely such feelings didn't manifest themselves within thirty seconds of seeing her? ...Oh! Maybe that was it?

"Is Eros nearby? Did you summon him as well? Fear not, you can counter the effects of his love charm with mint..."
when her Master didn't recognize the name, or know what the hell she was talking about, Lancer only seemed to worry a bit further. "Or are you really suggesting..." Lancer laughed very quietly, looking a bit embarrassed. Instead of the usual 'cutesy blush' that might occur after something like this, something rather odd happened. Her silver ponytail, slung around one of her shoulders, seemed to grow in length very slightly, and glow with a very subtle gold tint.

She supposed it was her duty to be 'thankful' for this sort of compliment, if he was for real?
"Well... in that case, um... thank you, Master..."

The change of hair colour, and the nervous swinging of her hips stopped as her Master continued on. ...It was understandable that he was expecting some sort of male.
"It's... okay if you were expecting 'one of the greats'. Or don't know about my tale at all. In my time, the job of a women was so set in stone that when someone like me rose from those rules..." Lancer shook her head slightly, holding both hands in front of her in a thoughtful manner. "...Let's just say they were sure to leave no traces. What little statues they made of me were shattered. What tales there were of me became tinder. ...But I suppose, I never meant to be a 'hero' anyway. Maybe it's best that way."

Lancer's head remained affixed to the gritty ground of the roof within the night.

"Tristan," Lancer echoed the name, trying it on her tongue. "...I've noticed you seem to get a little flustered whenever I refer to you as 'Master'. To fix this problem, would you like me to refer to you by that?" the Lancer asked earnestly, following the blonde-haired summoner down the stairs. Curiously looking at the interior decor, she often made a quiet, polite comment on how she liked something, such as a picture on the wall, or even something as little as the arrangement of a chair. Perhaps it was to distract her from the concern, that this boy didn't really have a 'plan' as such.

Something did seem to cheer her up, however.

"Food?" Lancer tilted her head quickly, clearly excited at the idea, but not trying to be. Her hair began to take the golden tint again somewhat, and she began to fiddle about with her fingers. "Well... um, no that's okay. I wouldn't want to, well... a-ah... well, actually..." her awkward statements were hiding a very obvious answer. Eventually, she found the courage to give her actual answer.

"If you have any yoghurt, or honey... or maybe even both... I wouldn't mind just a little bit, I suppose..." Lancer admitted.

This was certainly a lot more... relaxing (and awkward), than she'd been expecting.

Berserker looked inquisitively at him.
Unlimited food did sound good, but she had to win a war to get it?
Why settle for the fruit then? Why not just eat him?
"Sounds a bit fishy," she frowned, floating down on her cloud. "It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for everyone to be happy at once by just giving them what they want."
She frowned for a moment, as if trying to consider how to word it. "You know... when... people want things, but someone else wants something different? How are you going to deal with that?"
The idiot monkey who had done nothing but mess around since manifesting suddenly asked a thought-out question.
While Sun Wukong was a monkey, it seemed that she was not precisely as a child was.
There was something about enlightenment in her legend, after all.

"Well, as long as I get to go back to busting heads, it's probably okay."
Just like that, the apparently insightful monkey ignored everything she had just said and plucked his offering from his hands.
Stuffing the entire thing into her mouth in one go, she gulped it down like it was barely bigger than a morsel.
"Tastes different to how I remember. Everything changed since I was last here."
She racked her mostly unused brains for anything she remembered.
Sasebo, Japan... She knew about it, courtesy of the Grail that had summoned her, but she didn't remember ever actually travelling there.
It would be an unfamiliar trip, but she did know the way.
"Well, if you want to go to that place, I can take us there by dawn," she offered. "It's only over the sea, so it's not hard."

Harry blinked at Sun's insightful comment about the inherent paradox of wishing everyone to be happy. It seemed fools saw more from the foot of a mountain after all.

When the girl immediately shifted the conversation back more basic interests, such as fighting, the magus sighed. If she could only keep that insight for more than two seconds....

And then she mentioned flying to Sasebo, presumably on her magic cloud. Harry was pleased. He wasn't entirely certain which Noble Phantasms or skills Berserker would have at her disposal, but the sheer mobility and air superiority her cloud represented was an advantage Harry planned to exploit.

That it saved him a rather grueling hike back through the mountains was just icing on the cake.

"I would greatly appreciate the lift, poppet," he said with genuine gratitude. "The flight will also give us time to come up with a strategy to defeat our foes." Then he paused, a hunch passing through his head. Cautiously, he inquired, "You DO know the basics about this Grail War, correct?"

In the end, he couldn't do anything. Couldn't believe in the King's judgment. Couldn't trust in the valor of his comrades. Couldn't cleave through the friend that had become a traitor. Couldn't perceive the heart of evil that lied in the bosom of his fellow knights. Couldn't save his wife from disease. Couldn't save his king from his demise.

Couldn't even stand alongside any of his loved ones in their times of need.

In the end, if he had more strength, more virtue, more of everything that he lacked, perhaps, he could have changed something.

But this was not the end.

This was the beginning.

The gust was gentle, enveloping instead of driving away, the smell of summer fruits and herbs washing over the area. It rushed through green leaves, making verdure all the more vivid, as wildflowers turned in the direction of the summoning circle, in the presence of sunlight and the promised halcyon days of summer. A golden veil stretched over the ring of restraint, twisting and weaving unto itself, forming a framework composed of threads of silver light. It was a vessel, a spiritual shell to contain an individual that had long passed away.

Her pleas were heard. Her ideals were accepted. Her heart was judged true.

The catalyst that the Throne of Heroes had accepted was her just soul, unstained by blood, unflinching in her convictions.

That ethereal vessel took form, gaps filled up into the outline of an armored individual, the summer breeze retracting, absorbed into the nameless knight. Once more, a blinding flash filled the forest, soundless and deafening.

Clad in polished plate, a youth that could only be defined as a knight in shining armor stood there, one knee against the lush grass. His hair was of moonlight, his eyes of steel, and yet, the smile he graced the auburn-haired maiden held a radiance akin to the sun.

"I have accepted the purity of your heart and the righteousness of your convictions, my fair lady. If thou art my master, my sword and my strength are yours."

Overhead, the stars shone, countless suns spiralling in the heavens.

The brilliant arrival of her Servant let Sylvia know that her worries had been for naught. As the knight appeared before her, the magus couldn't help but stand in awe for a moment. She had hoped desperately to summon a hero, and had already imagined what such a figure might be like, but the gleaming symbol of true chivalry that knelt before her now was far beyond what she could have imagined.

As the radiant figure spoke, a slight blush crossed Sylvia's cheeks. Knights were supposed to be charming, so why did this come as any surprise? Perhaps it was his analysis of her character. Yes, that was certainly it. Apparently he deemed her a just and true Master. She had received such compliments before, usually from those she had helped, but to hear such a thing from such a brilliant figure... she honestly felt unworthy for such praise.

Overcoming the initial shock of summoning her Servant, Sylvia realized that he probably expected a reply. Coming back to her senses, she curtsied, a warm smile crossing her face. "It is a blessing to have such a courteous Servant. Welcome, Sir Knight." Her voice was soft, with a somewhat peculiar accent, but there was an air of absolute honesty and goodwill in her words. "Since you swear your sword to me, I shall do my best to serve as a Master deserving such loyalty."

A thought occurred to the young woman. She had not prepared any particular catalyst for the summoning, so she couldn't be entirely sure of the knight's identity... though somehow she had an idea, an image in her head of an incandescent sun. Still, was it not polite to ask? No, perhaps it was more polite to introduce herself first. The whole affair was new for her, though not unpleasant. "My name is Sylvia, Sylvia Minski." Her eyes met those of the knight before her.

At the same time, a burning sensation permeated the back of Sylvia's left hand. No, it was more like an intense itch than a burn, a sudden irritation that vanished as quickly as it arose. She looked down, surprised at the strange feeling. Her three Command Seals were just as they had been. The trio of arcs formed a circular shape. Now, though, something had changed. A smaller circle had formed amidst the other three. She recognized the anomaly as another Command Seal, but it was different. The mark was black, and had a sense of strangeness about it that she couldn't place. She looked down at her hand with a perplexed expression. "Well... how odd."

Tristan felt like a loser, in all honesty. He probably wasn't the only person summoning their servant, but he was probably the only one practically tripping over himself because of his servant. But hey, he had his reasons for that, right? He couldn't be blamed for being a little out of his element.

Still though, it was going to take some time to get used to her calling him 'Master'. He didn't hate it, quite the opposite, but when cute girls show up and start calling you 'Master' it's catches you off guard. He had questions about the whole hair thing, but he didn't ask. He could save that for later. Just like the whole extra command seal thing.

"Yogurt and honey, huh?" He repeated curiously as he stepped into the kitchen. He was certain he at least had yogurt, and after raiding the pantry he found honey as well. When did he even get that? He didn't know. It was simpler to just buy whatever and then look up a recipe online after the fact. Returning to Agamede, he gave her everything she requested, spoon as well, before leaving against the arm of one of the chairs. "You can honestly call me whatever you like, just needed to... Adjust." Tristan shrugged, pretty sure he could deal with her calling him 'Master' without reacting like a 13 year old.

"Also, I was expecting someone different, but don't feel bad or anything. It's pretty cool that you were willing to do what you wanted to do, even if it went against the norm." He folded his arms. "And, even if you didn't 'mean' to be a hero, you wound up one anyway if you're here now. So that counts for something. Your achievement can't be denied." Tristan said with a smile and slight nod.

"Now, the truth of the matter is... I honestly had no intentions of taking part in this. I came here to... I came here to try and find out about the death of my parents, and I got roped into this. So, I wasn't really prepared in all honesty." He admitted, mildly embarrassed by the truth when he said it out loud. "We can walk around the city for a bit if you want to get used to the area."

Looking somewhat bashful, Lancer fidgeted a little before sitting down on one of the armchairs, drumming her fingers on her lap. She supposed it was only polite to make herself at home. She felt quite guilty for asking for the food, but he probably didn't have either, so maybe she didn't even need to wor-

...!!

"O-oh, wow... really? Can I really have all of that?" Lancer seemed to be grateful to the point of being shocked, as if he'd given her his life's riches, before bowing her head repeatedly. "I won't forget this! I'll make it up to you, I promise!" she announced, before diving in with the spoon, drizzling the yogurt with a very generous portion of the honey.

Needless to say, Lancer looked like she was in heaven for a few moments, even if her eating process wasn't so graceful. She even seemed to be using her fingers to scrape up the last morsels of yogurt at one point, leaving no trace left on the spoon or on the bowl. Placing down the empty cutlery with a euphoric sigh, Lancer leaned back for a moment and closed her eyes. ...It was almost as good as she remembered. Almost.
"...Thank you,"
she sighed. Whilst she smiled slightly at Tristan's praise for her accomplishments, she seemed to modest to give a notable reaction. "...And for your sake, I think I'll call you Tristan from now on. Tristan. It's a name that would work well within poetry."

Getting up to her feet, she seemed to be somewhat oblivious to a speck of yogurt on her chin. That aside, she seemed well up for the offer of a walk.

"Mmm. Okay, I'd like that. Getting familiar with my environment will be crucial, should I ever need to fight for your safety..."
Lancer replied with a nod. She paused for a moment, before giving a little, mischievous smile to herself. "...Is it okay if we hold hands, Master?" she asked in a genuine tone, watching him intently, before breaking the act and bursting out into a quiet giggle. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry... you can't blame me for wanting to see the reaction from that. Let's get going."

She felt sort of bad for teasing like that, but that was part of friendship, right? With that, she followed Tristan's side whenever he was ready, her walk slow and casual, yet there was something about her that looked undeniably prepared. Like if something awful was to suddenly happen out of nowhere, she'd be ready for it, and no matter what, the two would walk out unharmed. It was a reassuring presence, as she took in all of the city, her armoured footsteps somehow quiet against the dusty tarmac.

"Japan truly is a curious place..." Lancer murmured under her breath, her golden eyes watching the skyscrapers that hugged the stars. "That foul feeling I felt earlier still lingers, though... mixed in with it, is some sort of 'liveliness' and 'warmth'."

She looked to her side, the odd nighttime air flowing in the city that would only turn more bizarre in the coming days.
"Can you feel that too, Tristan?"

"You basically just beat the crap out of six other guys, right? Masters and Servants."
Yanking him up by the back of his collar, Berserker dropped Harry on the cloud behind her, pulling out a long staff and held it vertically.
"How do I do that thing again?" she pondered.
Without warning, it grew with enough speed and force to shatter the ceiling it rather forcefully collided with, before shrinking down to regular size.
"Oh yeah."
Further reducing it to a mere toothpick, she slid it behind her ear, raising the cloud upwards through the monastery roof until the hole she had made was barely visible, as if trying to cover it up.
As if she was even capable of registering guilt for something so minor as vandalising a centuries-old ruin.

"Holding on?" she laughed, kicking at the intangible hems of the cloud.
An obvious trick question.
There was nothing to hold onto.
That was potentially a problem.
Paying no mind to it in the least, Berserker pointed in the direction of the sea.
"To Japan!"
And with that and a small sonic boom, the duo was off.

The wind rushed by the duo sitting upon the cloud, whipping their hair to and fro. Harry actually smiled from the experience. The entire world was naked before his eyes: the tops of the mountains ringed by soft mists and snow, tiny trails cutting through dense forest, and a gorgeous horizon of blue and white. He'd seen a lot of the world as an Enforcer, but usually from the gritty, bloody ground of a battlefield, the congested streets of a city, or behind a small window in an airplane.

This, however, was far, far better.

The fresh air and the wind in his face. The warmth of the sun on his skin. And the view.

No wonder mankind worked so hard to learn to fly. Harry briefly felt a pang of jealousy for those long-ago pilots who flew bi-planes with their cockpits open to the sky. This, he knew, was the closest he would ever get to heaven.

He laid a hand on Sun Wukong's shoulder. Maybe working with this one wouldn't be so bad, after all. "Quite a view, Berserker," he said softly. "Just take a look at it. There's no evil from up here." Then he went to his bag. "That snack I gave you probably wasn't enough. Let's have a little supper, all right?"

Somehow, the cloud they rode had firmness to it, allowing Harry to draw a rune on it with a piece of chalk from his bag. Then he took out a battered, fire-scorched Altoid tin and opened it; inside was some tinder and cotton balls. He deposited a healthy amount of it onto the rune.

He noticed his Servant watching him intently, perhaps even in confusion, so he explained, "Its my fire-starting kit. Made it myself. Just using the tin to hold whatever dry twigs and fluff that would make for good tinder. The rune has just a trickle of mana in it, enough to serve as fuel for the fire once I get it going from the tinder." He shrugged. "Normally I'd just use firewood, but that's kind of hard to come by when you're several kilometers up in the air." The he gave Berserker a smirk, the first smile he'd ever shown her in their short time together. "Want to see a trick?"

He retrieved his water bottle from his bag. Fortunately, there was still a healthy amount left. He angled it such that it captured the sunlight, focused it through the water, and out the bottle like a lens. It took some finagling, but he eventually got it focused tightly on the tinder. Smoke emerged and then a flame. Small, at first, but then the burgeoning fire grew into a vigorous, contained cook fire as it drew fuel from the rune underneath.

"Fire from water," Harry said. He reached into his bag one last time for a steel mug with a wire handle and a can of soup that he opened with a small flipper knife. They'd soon have a modest feast of hot beans and canned vegetables.

By the time their meal was finished, the sun had fallen below the horizon and the moon began its crest overhead. The stars blinked out from a black tapestry. And still Sun Wukong's cloud carried them ever onward to the land of the rising sun.

Harry rubbed fatigue from his eyes. "Get some sleep, Berserker," he advised. "Like you predicted, we'll be in Sasebo by dawn. I intend for us to have a busy day once we land. So sleep while you can."

He took his own advice, curling up on one end of the cloud and letting slumber claim him. As consciousness faded, he recalled his early days as an Enforcer, memory that faded into dream. Unknowingly, those memories would exchange with those of the Servant at his side....

---

He was twenty-two, freshly graduated from King's College, and freshly hired by an Enforcer unit within the Mage's Association. His was the unbeaten path. Yet, life seemed to favor the circular, bringing him right back to the secret heritage he had been forced to abandon. He showed up at the mansion as instructed by his new employer and was escorted to an opulent sitting room. Two others were already there. One was a light-haired and strapping young man about his age with a German accent. The other an Indian woman, also close in age, with both a native Tamil accent and a perfect RP accent suggesting she'd studied in England for some time.

As per their employer's instructions, they did not introduce themselves by name. Those would be handled by their employer. An antique phone sat on the table before them. It rang. The voice on the other end was soft and inviting.

"Greetings. You must be the new recruit. I am Kite. With you are Albatross and Wren. From this day forward, you will be known as Harrier."

The newly-dubbed Harrier blinked. "Codenames?"

"Yes. It is best if as much personal information is kept off the grid as possible. My belief is that anonymity is the best defense against those who would seek retaliation for suffering our services. Hence why I provided codenames for each member of this team, Team HAWK."

The Indian woman, Wren, added, "We're glad to have you on the team, Harrier. I've done a lot of research on you." At his look of surprise, she went on, "Most recent in a long line of rune mages based out of London, yet exiled for having few magic circuits and, thus, incapable of carrying on the family's Magic Crest. Afterward, you made a life for yourself in the mundane world and completed a chemistry degree at King's College. In your last year, your old training in your family's rune magic came to the attention of the Fraga clan of Irish mages. They offered you a chance to return to our world as one of their adopted children. They taught you combat, tactics, demolitions, and how to use what magic you had in the heat of battle. They made you a killer. HAWK will make you marketable."

Harrier frowned. "How the hell did you learn all that?"

Wren smiled. "That's my gift. My magic is focused on gathering and processing data. However, it doesn't work very well on magical research, just electronic." She nodded toward Albatross. "His is healing. However, he must transfer wounds from his patient to his own body."

Harrier read between the lines. "In other words, neither of you have magic that any magus family would want to develop. You're like me -- outcasts."

Albatross nodded and confirmed, "Pretty much, yes."

"And Kite?"

The voice on the phone answered, "Let's just say I'm in no physical condition to continue my family's lineage and they, too, cast me out. But my telepathy is second to none. And you're correct: we are outcasts, without clan or resource but what we can scrape for ourselves. That's why I founded HAWK -- to give us the clan we've been denied. That we can make a profit at the same time is simply icing on the cake."

Harrier then asked, "All right. So where do we start?"

---

Their first mission went tits-up pretty quickly. Hardly a promising start to HAWK's career. It was supposed to be a simple search and destroy assignment. A Dead Apostle was on the loose, attacking villages in the wilderness to feed his thirst for blood. This particular specimen had a powerful healing factor, rendering it largely immune to their various weapons. Over two hundred rounds from three FAMAS rifles failed to put down the blood-sucker. Now Harrier, Albatross, and Wren were on the defensive, eventually fleeing to the more confined spaces of a cave system they discovered. At least here, they could limit the Apostle's mobility and keep it from leaping into the trees for a height advantage.

Albatross and Wren took up positions at the cave opening, their rifles blaring as the Dead Apostle made his approach. Harrier took up a spot behind them to reload, then paused as he noticed several pieces of bat guano on the ground. He raised the gun upward, allowing its attached flashlight to illuminate a colony of bats clinging to the rocks above. Harrier drew a lighter from his pocket and experimentally opened a few small flames, noting how much larger they became in an instant.

He immediately called out a warning. "Cease fire! Methane gas!" Fortunately, his companions instantly obeyed. They last thing they needed was an errant spark to cause an explosion in a confined space....

...Or maybe it was
exactly what they needed!

Harrier looked around quickly. If there were animals here, then there had to be a water supply...there! A pool of water. Hopefully it was deep enough. "Albatross, Wren -- dive underwater at my mark!" All three ran to the edge of the pool, just as the feral Dead Apostle appeared. Harrier quickly drew a rune on the ground, one designed to enhance flame. Then he locked his lighter to the open position. "Just a little closer, you toothy bastard...."

The Apostle leaped at them.

"Dive!" Harrier flicked on the lighter and let it drop over the rune. As one, all three Enforcers dove beneath the water. The lighter's small flame became a brief, large blaze...and ignited the methane gas floating in the cave.

The resulting explosion rocked the cave, incinerated the bats -- and the Dead Apostle. From beneath the water, Harrier saw the yellow-red explosion dance above like a dawning sun. When the light faded, the three emerged from the pool, only to find the charred and very dead remains of their quarry.

Harrier felt Albatross' meaty hand on his shoulder. "Good work, Harry," he congratulated by way of nickname. "Looks like you're gonna fit right in...."

Ah, the blush on her cheeks could put even roses to shame, and though the Grail had given him knowledge of the depravities that had befallen humanity's culture in the current world, the silver-haired knight decided that there still must be men and women of virtue in this world, if his Master was one born of the modern era. Shaking his head slightly, he corrected her as he stood up, "It is the duty of a knight to serve, m'lady. A Queen, a Master, should lead. Show me a future that only you can bring forth, you who have been judged worthy."

A gauntleted hand placed itself over his heart. His eyes narrowed slightly, before that hand became a fist.

"I am Sir Gawain, son of Lot, Knight of the Round Table. Sasebo has been set as the battleground for the Holy Grail War, yes? Shall we be off?"

Those same narrowed eyes flickered towards the back of her hand, then towards the expression that laid on her face. The hand pressed against his heart lowered, moving towards his master, before stopping. It settled to Gawain's side instead, as the knight asked, "Is there something wrong, Master?"

His eyes were warm once more.

Status
Not open for further replies.