Fate and Misfortune

The idea of her son venturing outside the walls and losing himself within the vast woodlands that existed beyond it wasn't an unlikely one - not when Navi had spent his entire life not only in the boundary of their settlement but more or less solely within the home. She would be hit with a spike of fear, of concern, if her son merely left their home to explore the city they claimed as capital of their ever-expanding land, given how little he had been allowed to venture out amongst the hive of activity of their supporter.

So it was entirely believable that he would get himself lost, thrown into the path of danger, if he somehow managed to travel beyond the settlement boundaries. Frankly, that was the scenario Mariana wanted desperately to believe - that her son had merely wandered out and innocently found himself lost amongst the snow, weakened by the journey and incapable off finding a safe way home. In fact, if she was honest with herself, she did believe his getting lost to be the case, given just how likely that was.

She just knew it wasn't the whole story.

Having explicitly asked for honesty from him, and expecting him to comply when she was a) his mother and b) had asked directly with the full force of her emotion fuelling the words, it wasn't easy for her to hide her dismay when she didn't receive it. Her face pinched together, lips pursed, as she simply stood in silent examination of her son, absorbing his expression and taking in his stammers but refusing to allow it to weaken her resolve or lessen her irritation by invoking sympathy.

No, as prone as she sometimes was of going a little easier on him, this was one time where her anger had to take precedence, regardless of the consequences that response might result in.

"When I ask for the truth, my darling, I expect it. Especially from my own child," she hissed abruptly, breaking her silence with a sudden ferocity she hadn't anticipated, the comfort she might have garnered from her son's real, birth form vanishing in an instant. Her anger wasn't born from maliciousness but disappointment, her face lit with disbelief that, after willingly leaving the house and putting himself at risk, her son would persist in causing her difficulty and emotional strain by withholding information from her; lying to her.

Her eyes flickered, sharp and without subtlety, to the sweater the other still donned. The scent on it, stained upon the fabric, wasn't subtle in the slightest - she could discern the powerful musk of a human, far too strong for the sweater to just have been abandoned for a long period of time in the snow until Navi serendipitously discovered it. No, the scent's strength indicated that its owner had worn it not too long before it found its way onto Naveen, and that thought only provoked Mariana's growing migraine further.

"I don't wish to distress you, you've been through a lot; too much. I want you to snuggle up under the covers and nap, after a nice bath, until dinner is ready. I want you safe and warm and content, my love. That is all I want. Apart from honesty. I want... you to be honest with me," she proceeded with a gentler tone, the jump of a muscle in her jaw the only sign that the effort at holding back her desperation for answers was a monumental one - but it was one she decided was worth making to avoid upsetting one of the most cherished people in her life.

"Where did you get that sweater?" The monster eventually asked outright, turning from the window where she had peered to calm her mind to stare back at her son. "It's the last question I'll ask you before I leave you to rest up, so... think carefully before you answer. Think about whether you want to lie to my face again. I will say that I can smell human on it. Perhaps that will influence your answer; make you realise that lying about it will only upset -and disappoint- me further."

“M-Mama…” Navi began, his tone cautious and slow, though he let his voice drift off when his large eye watched the woman closely. He could see a venom in her eyes, one that he had only ever seen in his mother towards those working under her. If he had any blood it would have run cold the moment he recognized that look but instead of the warm, comforting red he saw in the blood of humans was replaced with a black ichor he had grown to hate.

The sight of Lukas’ wound opening came to mind and his grip on his sweater didn’t help. His mother was right, it did smell like the human; like hope. That smell represented a life he was so determined to live. It represented freedom in a way, as well as representing the briefest yet most important moment of happiness for the youngest triplet. It represented an alternative timeline where he was able to grow old and happy with a man he so hoped loved him back. It was warm and soft despite it’s age, much like Lukas himself, and if Navi could blush in his true form then he would be as he clutched the sweater as if his mother would rip it from his body at any moment.

Navi blinked back into focus, his mind having drifted in it’s thought. Expressions were a rarity for Navi given his form of otherwise black void and his wife eye so he was thankfully able to hide his fear relatively well once focused again. He did however shake, though he could just as easily blame that on how weak he felt. He watched silently, taking note of his mother’s jaw and wondered what would happen if her fury truly reached it’s full potential. He listened obediently, physically wincing at the sharpness of Mariana’s tone as he became the target of that cruelty.

His eye drifted away from her the more she spoke and the closer she approached. He loved his mother dearly, he loved his family, but he couldn’t help but feel they were… well, to put it simply, stupid for finding him. He wanted to tell Mariana just that; that this beautiful and powerful queen was an absolute moron. No, he kept his tongue - or would, if he had one - before offering a meek nod once his mother seemed to at least soften her anger.

“A… a v-very nice human found me,” Navi explained cautiously as his fingers played with the sweater. “F-Found me, took m-m-me in. We… W-We became friends, it was nice. B-But Garrison found us and I… y’know, l-left with him.” The human is… t-the human is dead. I kept the sweater, to r-remind me off him.” He reminded, his voice hushed as he sat to love cross legged.

It took Mariana a while before she allowed herself to even contemplate vocalising the words that crammed her brain - once sorting them out and concocting a sentence together that wasn't imbued with anger or disgust that would only serve in upsetting the son she was desperate to keep content and calm. No, the automatic desire to chastise him relentlessly for holding such an opinion towards a human; for clinging onto a sweater to remind himself of the man, had to be waived aside in favour of a gentler approach.

She had no nice words to utter on the matter, necessarily: her opinion on the humans her kind killed in their masses, with no mercy or regret, remained as intact as ever, regardless of the news that one had taken Navi in and kept him safe - because frankly, she doubted that the human would have done so if her son wasn't so fond of maintaining his human form.

She knew that instead of kindness and an open door, Navi would have been met with ruthless hatred and killed before he had a chance to plead his case - and for that reason alone, her opinion remained solidly negative, her features still twisted by her disbelief (and disappointment) that her own child would deem it appropriate to willingly dish out the compliments for, and possess his clothing as a slither of a physical memory of, a man who she could only imagine would seek to stop Navi breathing the first chance he had.

"Nice human is a little oxymoronic, my darling. Humans aren't nice. You shouldn't... think of them in that way. It complicates matters immensely. They're there to be hunted for our survival, or for servitude for our benefit. They aren't our friends; they aren't... meaningful to us, do you understand? You don't have to hate them, but you shouldn't like them," she eventually decided to comment, confident that her tone, soft in nature, twinned with her smiling expression enough to reassure Navi that there was to be no further explosive reprimands. As unsettled as she remained, her son had just returned home after a handful of days; days spent on her behalf worrying endlessly that he was out in the world, cold and lifeless, miles from the home he should be coddled up within.

"And ask yourself, Navi: would this 'kind' human have helped you, taken you in, if you looked... inhuman? You have no need to harbour the possession of a person who would have killed you were it not for the deception. That saved your life; not this measly human. If they're dead, then all the more reason to shut that horrid chapter for good," she added, unable to help herself from hammering the fact -or rather, her opinion- home.

"Now, we can burn the thing later on. For now, you'll be wanting a nice, hot bath," smiled Mariana as she tenderly reached to cup her son's cheek, doubling down on the affection by planting a kiss to his forehead. The suggestion that he take a bath was worded as fact, as though the decision had already been made for him irrespective of what he wanted - because that tended to be how Mariana acted. She believed she knew best in most situations and acted accordingly on the behalf of her children, though particularly when it came to Navi given her belief that he wasn't capable of doing so by himself.

"When you're done, come and have dinner; we'll have all your favourites prepared for you. Try and hurry down or Garrison will eat them all, you know what he's like~"

Silence was expected from Navi as he locked his one eye on the window of his bedroom that he noted was still open just a crack after he had escaped into the night. He was half expecting it to be shattered from one of his family members slamming it closed in their anger but he honed in on the half an inch of open air that still poured into the room through the crack with intense attention, if it offered just a brief moment of reprieve from his mother's words.

Hatred was what fueled their world, he was learning that quickly. The way Lukas reacted to the truth only solidified a fact he so desperately wanted to say wasn't true and it hurt to hear his mother dig salt in his wounds. He glanced at the woman, taking in her smile - though it didn't read as the nurtering kind, rather it felt as if she were mocking his state. She was mocking his happiness, mocking his naivety in hoping that he could escape his life with her and his siblings. He could hear her laughing, could see her gaze change from love to that of sympathy as if he were a child again. He gripped the sweater tighter, using the distinct texture to offer him some sense of grounding that he desperately needed. He couldn't recall the memories he had with Lukas now that they were stained with heartbreak but he so wanted to, so wanted to think about the short time they had spent and how different it was from where he was again.

His lips would be trembling if they didn't blend in with the void that was his skin as he struggled to formulate words. He didn't know what to say in all honesty, given he often simply folded when his mother spoke and did as told. He was tired, desperate for a long bath to rest his sore muscles and succumb to the pull of his sickness that screamed for him to rest, but he needed to at least try and show that he was different, that Lukas' effort wasn't in vain and that their connection hadn't gone to waste. No, he managed to stutter out words of defiance - however tame they were.

"I-I... I-I-I would l-like to keep the sweater, m-mama," Navi insisted as now both hands were gripping onto the ugly pattern. There was a 25% chance that his mother would believe the words he said next, given she was far from the level of gullibility of Garrison, but what did he have to lose? What, would he be punished? Being forced to his room, to be coddled, was punishment enough. "... a-as a t...t-trophy," he added, his voice hushed. A lie, a dirty disgusting little lie, but he would rather dwell on that lie and keep the memory of Lukas close.

"Please. I'll... I-I'll take the bath b-but please don't burn it," he urged, more desperation to his tone now when panic began to set over losing something so stupid as a sweater but it was his now, his mother shouldn't be able to just take it away from him. He offered a sharp row of teeth for a smile, however small it was, in an attempts to butter her up at least. "Thank you, mama."

Inevitably, Mariana's response was a shocked one, the features her natural form was capable of expressing and communicating immediately twisting to physicalise her surprise and the struggle in which she had to contend with to comprehend just what her son was asking her to believe. Were it her other children expressing a desire to keep a trophy from their conquest over a human they had taken down, Mariana wouldn't hesitate in agreeing because she didn't need to consider the fact that they were lying to her; that their request was a bold-faced lie, steeped in a treachery she didn't anticipate having to face from any of her children.

No, their word alone was enough, their actions in supporting her vision, their consistency in defending it, affording them the chance to be taken seriously; for their word to be taken in as fact without fear that they would be challenged at any given moment over it. Her youngest had never been granted that privilege - it was hard to prove yourself when you were never given the chance to do anything worthwhile to build a case up, after all.

As such, any pride Mariana would ordinarily feel if Garrison or Tia had approached her with the request didn't reach the surface; not when doubts, created by her shock, tended to dominate any positive emotion. She couldn't inherently believe that her son, who she had always deemed too weak to survive beyond the walls of their house, too timid to tackle the responsibilities his siblings naturally took to like ducks to water, could ever face the threat a human possessed to him, let alone actively take part in taking that human down.

It was so incongruous to Navi's nature that her mind continued to swim in confusion, thoughts becoming erratic the longer she dwelled on the fact that this could be a lie; the fact that her own son, a child she cherished and loved so much that she couldn't adequately put the strength of that emotion into words, could smile up at her and lie through his sharpened teeth--

No, though it was a possibility, she couldn't believe that he would ever sink to hurting her in such a devastating way. She had to believe that Navi was better than that; kinder than that.

And, beyond that, maybe it was her desperation to believe that he wasn't so dissimilar from her and his siblings that made her push aside her doubts; the desperation to cling to the first sign Navi had shown of being the monster he was, with the mindset their kind had (in her eyes) inherently instilled into them.

"Oh, my darling, that is-- of course you can keep it as a trophy. Why didn't you say so earlier? I could never burn a trophy reminding you of your first ever kill. No, my love, you keep that sweater close; keep it safe. I can't say I agree with you wandering off on your own and getting yourself into trouble -you're too weak to take on the forces beyond our home- but I am proud of you, Naveen. Immensely proud of you," she praised, unable to prevent her voice from wavering a little as her emotions, now wholly positive, began to rise in reaction to her son's request and the enormity of possibility it held within it. Oblivious to its falsified nature, Mariana chose to believe that it was a sign Navi had finally seen sense; come to understand the way of the world, the plans in place to benefit their growing base of support.

As formidable as she was, her children softened her; exposed vulnerabilities nobody would ever access or witness. There was no shame for her in expressing that vulnerability to Navi, allowing her face to portray the swell of pride as she moved to physicalise it in the form of a kiss to his forehead.

"I'll leave you to bathe; you don't need me rambling on. Just... know how happy I am that you're home, Naveen. Home and safe, where you belong. Where I can look after you. As proud as I am, the world out there isn't for you. Your place is here. You see that, don't you?"

It took everything within Navi not to let a sigh of relief escape when his mother fell for his lie. He knew he could use the fact that he was her youngest, he’d baby, against her but how strong that love was could easily be overpowered by her anger. He did physically relax, the stiff posture softening at the very least - and when he took his bath he knew he could finally relax for the first time in long over a week.

As much as he enjoyed Lukas’ company - as much as he missed his company - he did miss his hot baths. They were moments he could spend alone, thoughts empty as his weakened body absorbed the warmth and he accepted the comfort it brought. He would often spend hours there, until the water grew cold and his fingers grew pruny in his human form. His smile slowly grew genuine as he listened to his mother, however wrong he felt she was. He knew that protesting would lead to nothing but fighting and he certainly didn’t want to do that.

“Yes, mama.” Navi replied, his voice hushed yet lacking any stutters. He he wanted to be left alone and celebrate a successful lie. It felt dirty to lie to her but he was a monster, shouldnt his treachery be on brand? He told him he was only acting like the monster Lukas saw him as, despite changing to his human form the moment he was left to his own devices. Hd spent no time moving to his own personal bathroom where the traditional clawfoot bath and moved to set it just as he liked; as hot as possible and filled to the near brim. His body was so sore, his arms felt numb from dragging his much larger brother from Lukas’ cabin and his legs were wobbly so the comfort that the warm water brought to those achy joints and muscles.

He could sit there, for however long he wanted, and think about nothing. No pain, no loneliness, no heartache. He was no longer dizzy and in pain when he dipped into the water, it reaching to his neck as he easily dipped under and let the water wash his messy hair. He closed his eyes and saw nothing, something he was more than content to witness l, though he knew that pleasure couldn’t last. He knew he would have to emerge from the bath and face his family again, however exhausted he had become from the bath.

He followed his routine of struggling (but always being successful) to get out of the bath, draining it, and slipping into a simple outfit not much different to the one he ran away in; slacks, a button up, a sweater. It was nothing like the one Lukas had offered him, actually properly fitted to his size. He grabbed his cane as his body protested, though he knew this dinner wasn’t actually for him. He wasn’t hungry after all, he was quite nauseous in fact, but he would try for them.

Ask a human like Lukas if they expected monsters to have a need for a dining room, let alone a finely decorated one, and they would either laugh raucously at such a ridiculous concept or simply, and boldly, call the person making the claim a flat-out liar. It clearly wouldn't be the case for the rogue monsters that roamed the wilderness, and perhaps it wasn't even the case for the monsters within Mariana's territory but, for her, it was: she not only possessed a dining hall but had maintained the grand aesthetic, having grown to admire the stone columns draped with ivy and exquisitely-carved stone crown moulding bordering the high-ceilings.

The museum's prior purpose was mostly lost on Mariana - she knew from her daughter's research what a museum was and what it had once presented to the humans that existed in the territory before her arrival, but it never really made sense to Mariana. What was the point in visiting a building to observe human artefacts from past periods when it was all so utterly devoid of interest? Humans were... boring; tedious, mindless, useless beings who served very little purpose in the grand scheme of things (outside of fuel and satiating hunger, at least).

No, the building was of better use to the world as a home for her and her children, and a base for their plans for further expansion. The dining room was the heart of it; the place she could unwind a little and enjoy time with her children, putting all thoughts of work and her responsibilities to the monsters that looked to her as their leader and Queen to the back of her mind. It was where they could share hearty meals and enjoy conversation, surrounded by warmth and atmospheric lighting.

The celebration that that night presented was one like no other. Granted, it was no vibrant occasion like the ones that sometimes took place following a victory beyond the city walls, but it wasn't meant to be - Mariana was wise enough to know that a loud celebration, with a crowd, wasn't suitable after all her youngest had endured. No, a quiet family meal with the ones that mattered most was more appealing under the circumstances and, in her desire to make it as perfect as it could, she sat waiting patiently for Navi's arrival, refusing to touch so much as a crumb or morsel of food that awaited them at the table - and expecting her other children to display the same level of resistance.

Garrison's stomach rumbled loudly, unsubtly, as he sat facing the spread, the array of delectable meats that temptingly sat on trays inches from him. Desperate glances were sent in his mother's direction the longer he was forced to sit and wait but, when his eyes continually met with a hard gaze silently demanding he exercise some restraint, he was left to grimace and sink in his chair, biting the inside of his cheek in his effort to stay as mentally strong as he was physically.

That strength vanished when Naveen eventually arrived, the other brother wasting no time in snatching his plate and piling it with as much as it could feasibly hold. Too delighted to see Navi arrive clean and -she believed- content, Mariana ignored Garrison's behaviour and beckoned her youngest to the table with an affectionate smile.

"Come sit, my darling; we have your favourites all prepared for you. Come have some before Garrison eats all the best things," she encouraged, reaching for a glass to take a sip of her fresh, ice-cubed water. "You've missed quite a lot in your absence, my love. I didn't care to work while you were missing, I couldn't bear it, but advancements have been made on a territory south of here. A few more days of our troops pushing onward and we should make a breakthrough--"

"Exciting, isn't it?" Garrison beamed as he shot his brother a grin, his spare hand absently pulling at the hat that continued to successfully conceal his wound to the world; a wound he ought to have checked and tended to by now but the thought of doing so had, somehow, slipped his mind. "You've also missed Deera getting closer with me. You were my first concern, Navi; obviously you were, but-- you know, Deera helped me search once or twice and she's so cool--"

"Navi doesn't want to hear about your interest in that dreary girl, Garrison," tutted Mariana with a look as close to playfulness as she allowed herself to appear. "...Though it does raise an interesting conversation. A... necessary one. Of marriage. I don't care to enforce it upon any of you but now may be a... good time to consider the idea; of entertaining it. It will strengthen our lands if we build connections with those who ally themselves with us; who see me, us, as their leaders. It is politics, my loves, but it is politics that will help win us our futures. You understand that, don't you?!

As nauseating as the idea of eating was after such a stressful day it was undeniable that Navi's stomach growled at the spread of foods, arrays of meats and vegetables alike not too dissimilar to a normal human meal - bar the fact human was most certainly on the menu. While that fact caused Navi to grow wary, he had to at least feed himself after eating almost nothing for over a week. He piled a steady amount of meat and vegetables alike onto his plate, silent from his seat at the table as he allowed Garrison and Tiariana take the reign on the conversation - as they always did.

It had become so routine for Navi as he took a bite of meat, notably closing his eye to avoid thinking about what - who - he was eating, that he took comfort in the normalcy. There were certainly benefits to living with his family, he wasn't blind to those facts and had fully considered them when he decided to leave. It was nice to be somewhere he knew he was safe, this was true, but it only reminded him of his failures. He could almost keep those thoughts away, keep himself from spiraling further and further into self-pity, if the mention of marriage had been left out completely.

He knew it was all just politics, he had realized that humans had done much the same many centuries ago by the few bits of exhibits untouched by his mother in their home - ones that she didn't care to preserve but simply didn't care to destroy either. It would inevitable for his brother and sister to eventually be wed to other important political figures but Naveen doubted he would be told to do the same. Most likely his mother would suggest a monster and he would awkwardly say yes, though make it clear to anyone who cared to notice that he wasn't exactly happy with it. It was a trend he had taken note of more and more in the recent months leading to his escape.

Thankfully Navi didn't have to respond, not quite yet. When Tia pipped up first, an audible sigh of relief could be heard over Garrison's hungry munching as Navi took a more careful approach to cutting his meal.

"Ugh, Deera is fine but she talks incessantly, Garrison!" Tia groaned in recollection. Her sharp eyes landed on the youngest of the triplets as a chuckle escaped, hiding the genuine glee she felt to see her brother sitting amongst them once again behind a cool smirk. "I can only imagine how peaceful things had been for you while you were gone, Navi. Meanwhile I had to hear Garrison babble on and on about how cute Deera is. At least I know that you won't be so annoying when you catch feelings, Navi."

"She only talks so much because she has a lot to say - all of it interesting and... and worth saying. She's fascinating. There's nothing wrong with it; I find it adorable, actually. She's adorable. The stuff she talks about, the way her eyes -all the dozens of them- twinkle when she's excited-- she's adorable, Tia. You're a fool if you don't see that," defended Garrison without hesitation, his tone lacking any real fierceness given the casual nature of the conversation and the inherent belief that no malice was meant by his sister in her criticism. If he picked up a seriousness in the critique, if the words became cutting and uncomfortably mean, then his own defence would intensify as a result - but he chose to believe that his sister's remarks were more jokey and light-hearted, regardless of the undercurrent of truth resting beneath them.

There was a difference between her take, communicated with a laugh and a smile, and that of their mother's, after all, the latter choosing to critique Garrison's love interest without any consideration taken for her son's feelings. What was the point in softening the blow of her opinion when, frankly, Deera wasn't important? She, as far as Mariana was concerned, wasn't destined to be in Garrison's life in a way that meant she ought to show her a little respect.

No, Deera was dull, ditsy and annoying, the qualities she possessed only encouraging Mariana to reject even the notion of politeness towards her.

If Garrison were smarter, if he were capable of putting things together to complete the picture and provide himself the answers that were (ultimately) staring him in the face, he would have realised that Deera wasn't the one he was to marry. Naively, he was under the impression that, in spite of her less than thrilled reaction to Deera's presence and her lowly status in their settlement, his mother would put her feelings aside and allow the two to marry when the opportunity presented itself because his happiness ought to mean more to the woman than politics or her own personal views, right?

On the contrary, he was destined to have all of that optimism, happiness and hope dashed by the reality of his mother's preferred plans; plans that didn't take into account what her children might prefer.

Sacrifices had to be made for the greater good; personal contentment, choice, didn't enter into the discussion.

"...Yes, well, Navi will hopefully catch feelings for his betrothed. That would be the best scenario; that you all grow to love your pairings deeply, because I do want that for you all. Happiness. Marriage is relatively new to our kind, the ceremonial union between partners, so I want each of you to have the very best experience of it-- but happiness isn't guaranteed," continued Mariana softly, her voice falling into the gentler tone when she took into account the nature of the conversation, and the gravity of its role in shaping her children's futures, into account. She wasn't blind to the fact that she was robbing them of a choice, moulding their lives out for them on their behalf, but her position didn't grant them the sort of freedom that allowed them to do what they wanted with their lives. If anything, the power she held made it all the more important that they act fast to solidify it; work to embolden it, irrespective of what the personal cost may be.

"It is about power first and foremost; cementing all of our hard work and creating new alliances; strengthening our positions. It is a sacrifice, my loves. You may not be happy with my choices in picking out partners for you but I know what is for the best. Trust me and all will be well."

"We trust you, Mama," beamed Garrison as he set his eyes on Mariana, the innocence, the obliviousness, of what was to come (namely the fact he wasn't going to have the future he desired with Deera) unsubtly stitched onto his expression. "If it helps the settlement advance, if it strengthens our position, then I'll get married tomorrow if I have to. It's not a big deal."

It was an unspoken opinion that was shared by nearly every monster in their settlement; Navi was a dud, a simpleton. Given his rarity to speak it was simply assumed that fact was because the youngest of the triplets had no thoughts to be spoken upon. No one would ever say it out loud knowing that it would be a death sentence for them if Mariana were to hear but Navi knew, could tell in other monsters’ eyes and his they reacted to his presence.

It was one thing he had in common with his sister, a trait possibly even sharper than Tia, where Navi could pick up on emotions, specifically negative ones, rather fast amongst his kind. Seeing the way Garrison’s eyes sparkled as he praised Deera did cause him to smile and even offered to put out his opinion and say how he thought it was sweet that the two were close. Words didn’t even escape once seeing his mother’s sharp gaze at the strongest of the threes, his smile faltering before returning to the food in silence.

All three of them had known that their mother’s word was final, how could they not? They watched as far more powerful monsters bowed before her, who were they to do any different? Navi tried to go against his mother’s wishes and yet there he was, once again confined to his home rather than spending time with a human, a man, he had come to… love. No, what Mariana wanted Mariana got, no matter how hard Navi tried to fight against it. That meant that, however much he supported Garrison and Deera’s relationship, it hurt knowing it wouldn’t last if his mother had any say in it. He looked away from his brother, imagining the pain that would follow once his brother finally realized what would happen being too strong. Instead his eye landed on his sister, who had grown serious much like their mother.

“Serious question,” she began calmly, “I want to know, mama, that if our partner says something ridiculous, may we kill them? I know that the circumstances of our partners will be different than yours and His but - I think it would only be fair, right?”

"These partners are important to our future, my sweet; they're necessary for the development of our plans. That said, were they to do something that offended you, or hurt you, or upset you? I'd find a way to smooth over the inevitable backlash that came from you disposing of them," smiled Mariana in return, sharing an amused look with her daughter before returning her attention to the full glass of wine in front of her.

Ideally, the discussion revolving around her children's future partners meeting an early demise wouldn't have been raised, but hoping to keep it under the rug, an unspoken fear, wasn't... realistic, especially not when her daughter was far too smart and far too aware to allow it to remain hidden; allow it to exist without clarification.

The conflict that would arise if Tia were to one day decide that she wasn't capable of co-existing with her partner, that their death was the only suitable option available to her, wasn't comfortable for Mariana to consider. She didn't want to enrage or anger the monsters that she was seeking to cooperate with for the benefit and the betterment of her plans - she could manage without them, that much was true, but their assistance and their agreement would make it a hell of a lot easier in the long run. The marriages were intended to win their trust and cement their followings, their settlements, as one under Mariana's rule; it was ultimately non-negotiable and she knew her children (or at least, hoped) they understood that.

But she couldn't in good conscience allow them to exist unhappily in a union that drained them of their belief in themselves, or hurt their pride and sense of self. If consequences arose from them taking matters into their own hands, if it meant that Mariana had to rip up agreements and forge her own wars without allies, so be it.

Because her children, in that regard, would always come first.

"I hope it doesn't come to that, of course, Tia. I ask that you try your best to be... patient and understanding. But don't take fools; don't become one. If you take action and that action is to kill your future betrothed, then... yes, I support that action, my love. I'll defend it fiercely. But let it not be your first move, hm? Give my choice for you a chance. I ask that of all of you."

Waiting long enough for her words to register and sink in, Mariana moved to raise her glass as her eyes settled on her youngest, opting to disrupt the serious energy in the room with a reminder of the happiness they ought to be feeling at Navi's return home.

"Welcome back, Naveen. I know I've said it already but having you home where you belong, with us all, is a... a thing I won't take for granted again. All this talk of marriage and political unions-- it won't escape you, my darling, but we can prolong your turn in all of it for as long as is possible. I won't rush you into it, don't you worry."

There was silence that followed from Naveen's end as Tia raised her own glass of wine and glanced at her brothers to do the same. Silence wasn't a surprise from the youngest triplet after all, given it was just… how everything worked. They were all adults now but their family's dynamic was established quite early in their childhood, when Tia and Garrison showed their strengths and when Navi was his sickest - bedbound and barely awake most days given his poor immune system.

Navi had watched as his brother and sister grew into formidable monsters while he watched through a window, constantly feeling the pain of their infantilization. Every fucking day he experienced it and after what he had just experienced, he wanted to keep Lukas' words close to him. He wasn't a child, he ought to make his own decisions just like his siblings so, while there was certainly a long pause in between his mother's small speech and Navi's words, they were spoken nonetheless to the shock of his older sister.

"I… am fine, mama. I'm ready." He spoke with a firmness rarely -if ever - seen in the youngest of the three. No stutter, no mumble or awkward tripping of his words. No, he wanted his feelings to be heard and acknowledged. As he watched the smiles falter on his family's lips, Navi's own jaw clenched in his human firm. No celebration resting on his own lips, simply that of frustration and anger.

"… relax, Navi. After what you've been through you really shouldn't be running to get back into the rhythm of things. You shouldn't push yourself, you've pushed yourself enough-"

"H-How would you know?! You don't know shit about w-what happened, T-Tia!" Navi snapped in return, his face having gone from pale to beetroot in record time. He simmered in his seat, both fingers gripping into the table with desperation.

"You get lost in the wilderness for a week and now you want to act tough, huh? Big boy Naveen goes and does something stupid and now he can do anything, huh?" Replied Toa, her voice calm despite her narrowed eyes and her own tense fists. Being the oldest, Tia had learned to hold her composure as she accepted her role (especially within the past few days) but she could only do so much at seeing this new, sudden side of her brother.

His sister's sharp glare was enough to quiet him certainly but the frustration still remained in Naveen, his own gaze moving to Garrison for some sort of support. The likeliness he would get it was slim given his he wasn't respected by him either but he had hoped that their experience at the cabin would have at least gained some form of respect.

Though Navi's insistence inevitably took all at the table by surprise, no-one was quite as surprised as Mariana herself. She had grown accustomed to telling Navi what was best for him without anticipating a rejection of those suggestions - it had become normal that she would decree what she felt was suitable and have her youngest accept it without argument or complaint, because ultimately, she would always know what was best for him and his life, regardless of how far into his adulthood he ventured.

His sickness and (in her view) his general weaknesses meant that he was naive to the world around him; unused to its complexities and unaccustomed to its dangers. Sure, that obliviousness might be her own fault for keeping him wrapped in cotton wool in the years since his birth, shielding him from activities and duties his siblings undertook without interjection because she didn't believe Navi to be up to the demand of them, but expectedly, Mariana failed to blame herself for anything.

How could she when she would always justify her choices as those being made by a mother who loved her son too deeply to see him get hurt; grow weaker? There were countless faults on her part but it would take a miracle for her to recognise them.

Rather than reflect on any of said faults when Navi's tone -along with his conviction- strengthened, Mariana instead found herself sitting back in her chair as she allowed her surprise to part way in favour of admiration. She had her own thoughts and opinions on her youngest's involvement in the family duties and would usually discourage him from pushing himself to adopt them, but never before had she witnessed him appear so... certain, so determined. She wasn't blind to the anger that seemed to fuel the decision but it didn't distract from the pride that glowed within her; the happiness that arose at the chance to involve Navi in something - especially something that wasn't too physically draining on them. The importance of the marriage unions did convince her to overlook the potential that she was introducing Navi into a situation that might hinder his recovery - completing the agreements with newfound allies was best done as soon as possible, and when her youngest was the most determined she had ever witnessed him being, who was she to really disagree?

"If your brother is certain that he can handle the importance, manage the pressure, then I think we ought to allow him to make the decision himself, Tia. He'll have to face the duty at some point, marriage is unavoidable I'm afraid, but if he's ready for it now, then... I believe we should accept that choice. I'll have it all organised for you in the coming days, Navi. The girl I have picked out for you is wonderful; Mama knows best, hm?" Hummed Mariana as she swiftly took a sip of her wine, mulling the marital preparations over in her head as she swallowed the drop down.

Her distracted thoughts left her oblivious to Garrison's discomfort, the expression on the triplet's face being one of pain. Being caught in the middle wasn't a factor he often had to contend with; not when it was almost instinctive for him to agree with Tia on matters that concerned Navi - because why would he ever agree that Navi should take on the responsibilities he and their sister did when it just never seemed... appropriate? It was the norm for him to side with Tia under the belief of being the caring brother looking out for the (slightly) younger one, even if doing so only cemented Navi's feeling of being treated like a child; overlooked and underestimated (though Garrison was mostly naive to the consequences he had created in that regard).

But now wasn't one of those times. Could he easily nod along with Tia, counter their mother's input, and peddle out the same dismissive words he had uttered towards Navi their entire lives? Sure - but something had shifted after the incident in the cabin; something had altered his perception, making him feel closer to the other than he ever had done before.

As such, for the first time in his life, he shifted his gaze to his plate and prepared to dismantle his and Tia's usual union in favour of defending their brother's stance.

"I reckon he'd be alright, Tia. He-- he, uh... he's tougher than he looks. I think he deserves a shot, at least. Doesn't everyone?"

The burst of confidence, of anger, didn’t necessarily simmer away but it was certainly dashed quite a bit by shock as his desperate gaze to Garrison moved immediately to his mother. Navi couldn’t hide his surprises expression, nor could Tia, as they all listened to offering what felt like the youngest’s first responsibility… ever.

Being a quiet boy, Navi never said no to their mother’s orders. There might be the occasional plead to join his siblings in training when he was very little but those pleads would be met with a firm no every single time and, given the fact he was bound to his bed for most of his childhood out of sickness, that pleading had been rare. When he realized that nothing he said seemed to be important to his mother was when Navi had decided to simply stop pushing directly to Mariana and instead concoct his own plans, such as the one to escape. It was done under everyone’s noses because if he even offered to step outside their district let alone go into the woods he was certain he would be scolded.

To be given what he asked, an ounce of respect, left Navi speechless as he sat at the table. It wasn’t what he wanted, far from it, but it was still something.

He had no desire to marry a random girl his mother assigned him, not really. He would do it of course, he understood what it all meant for their family and their power, but he strongly doubted that he would hold even the slightest bit of connection like he had with Lukas. What he felt towards the human was special, his heart aching at the thought. It hurt so much in fact that Navi found his cheeks to grow wet once again, which only lended to a headache after so much crying and overexerting himself. Nonetheless he offered s smile, hoping to convince his family but more importantly his mother that he was crying out of joy rather than sadness.

“… yes, well, I look forward to all of our relationships thriving and not ending in murder,” Tia added when the shock finally left her, her eyes now locked on Garrison. “I don’t think it’s a good idea for Navi, plain and simple, but that isn’t my decision to make. We still need to postpone any talk of marriage until he gets better, right? Being out in the cold for a week will leave him bed-bound, this is a fact.” She stated simply, bypassing Navi in the conversation completely.

"Your sister makes a valid point, my sweet. I accept that you're determined -it is admirable- but you will need to get better first. As better as you can be. Let's give it a few days before we start discussing prospects for you - but this isn't me pushing the matter aside, Naveen. If you tell me you're ready, then I respect that. Let's just... wait until the end of this week," murmured Mariana as supportively as she could, keen for her agreement with Tia to not be taken as her dismissing the idea entirely. On the contrary, her pride in her son was at its highest, possibly the highest it had ever been, so there was little chance in her throwing aside the newfound determination in him and abandoning talks of an early marriage.

It just made sense for them to be postponed for a few days; to wait until he had at least recovered from the recency of his ordeal before she engaged him in the discussions she had already undertaken with prospective partners in surrounding settlements. As those discussions would begin with her eldest two children as early as the completion of that night's meal, setting them for the end of the week when it came to her youngest was for the best.

As keen as she might be to take advantage of Navi's confidence in that moment and bring him into the fold, doing so at a detriment to his health was unwise and entirely unlike her usual approach when it came to him. Engaging with Navi in regard to familial duties and responsibilities was always something she had avoided, justified in doing so because it would (in her mind) put his health at risk, so where they currently were was new territory entirely.

She just wasn't prepared to enter this new chapter with Navi without constantly taking into account that moving him too fast, pushing him too hard, might affect the health she had consistently focused upon. No, though extending him a chance to become involved was a new matter, it wasn't going to alter the mindset she had held since his birth, however irritating it might be for the youngest triplet.

"But at least you'll be involved, Navi. Just gonna take a few days is all," encouraged Garrison with a beaming grin, eager to smooth over the cracks and keep the positivity as prominent as he could. His cheeks might have burnt a bright red self-consciously as he felt his sister's eyes lock on him, no doubt in annoyance at the break of their unspoken union, but it wouldn't prevent him from quickly jumping in to reiterate the need for optimism; to keep that as the overriding atmosphere, rather than the tension that had threatened to settle in its place.

"Speaking of, perhaps it's best you go and get a head start on that rest, my love. You look tired." Mariana continued as she refilled her wine, her eyes darting across to Navi in what she hoped was a comforting look, one to counter the continued emphasis on her speaking up on Navi's behalf; on her believing she knew what was best for him, without him ever extended the chance to contradict or defend himself. "Go on upstairs and get some sleep. I need to discuss marriage details with your siblings anyway; all boring information you would do best to miss out on in favour of sleep, I promise you.!

Navi wanted to scoff and roll his eye at his mother's words, spit back at her that she clearly didn't know everything if he had preferred to take on the winter wilderness rather than spend another day locked in his personal prison. He wanted to get on the table, praise the humans for their kindness - his kindness - towards him and announce he would be taking on tasks he had previously not been allowed. Hoe wanted to scream and punch the air, throw plates about and start chaos to emphasis that he was no longer going to bend at their commands like the commonwealth.

But Navi bit his tongue quite literally to keep him shut, the faint taste of blood reminiscent of the uncooked humans he had been fed when they were all young to boost his iron issues. He only imagined Lukas suffering the fate of many other humans, being a yummy snack to nibble on casually from his bed, and all remaining hunger was gone. His stomach groaned but not from craving more, on the contrary as he stared at the food still left on his plate. It was better than carrot 'stew' but at what cost?

While he wanted to cross his arms and stubbornly remain in place, his mother was right. He was tired, in many ways than one, so being able to sleep with (hopefully) no disturbances would be perfect as he enjoyed a dreamless sleep. He could sit by the fire after asking a guard to light it before snuggling under blankets that felt just light enough not to be crushed completely. It gave the illusion of companionship; of sharing space with another, warm in each other's arms. Alas he would begrudgingly return to his bedroom in silence, cane steady in his hands as he made the effort up to his bedroom.

He wasted no time into sliding into the large bed. Well, large compared to the pile of blankets he had been sleeping on before. He focusing on the warmth it offered over everything, still remaining in his human form. He doubted whoever he was bound to 'marry', if it could be considered that, would be far from a fan but Navi wasn't ready to change that much for a stranger.

Especially not when his heart felt tethered to someone else, one gruff human specifically.

The night passed without disruption into the next morning, though the uneventfulness of it appealed to Mariana. After a handful of days without any sleep, each night spent in the confines of her office, anxiety coursing through every vein as she found herself contemplating her youngest's fate, having an opportunity to sink into her bed and know without a doubt that Naveen was safe and sound under the covers of his own was everything she had longed for. It didn't prevent her from worrying completely that something awful would again happen to him, but with the guards specifically told to be on alert -and in the belief that Navi was happy to be home- Mariana had no reason not to curl up underneath her blankets and allow her tiredness to ebb away from her.

The weight of pressure relieved from her shoulders also helped that night's sleep to be one of the best in recent memory, all the trepidation she had felt at presenting the cases for marriage to her eldest children finally removed in place of confidence and reassurance. She had no doubts that Tia and Garrison would understand her viewpoint and the necessity for unions with hopeful allies to their cause, but it was still unfortunate that she had to expect it of them, especially when neither were given much of a choice in who their future partner would be.

But all had gone relatively well at dinner after she presented them with her choices. There was no shouting, no furious protestations, no emotional outburst at the unfairness of what was being posed to them. As far as Mariana could see, both accepted the news as a simple fact of duty and the responsibility it bore.

How Garrison had succeeded in convincing his mother of that was beyond him, but he wasn't going to question that success too much; not when it bought him valuable time to consider his next step.

Because the last thing he wanted to do was marry someone who wasn't Deera.

A night of restlessness, juxtaposing his mother's peaceful one, had left him exhausted by the time dawn broke. His mind still whirred from the revelation at dinner, his heart continuing to ache every time he recalled the folder pushed towards him and opened it to find the image of a monster who, though appealing in looks and personality alike, just wasn't... Deera. Nobody could compare to the actual monster he loved, so of course he found himself entirely devastated now the truth had finally dawned on him.

He could only curse himself for not realising it sooner, with his mother never having been subtle in her criticisms of his girlfriend. She was 'too irksome', 'too plain', 'too lowly' for someone of his status - she could bring nothing to the family in terms of power or opportunity and was thus to be dismissed as a partner, however classist and demeaning such a view was. Yet, Garrison had held onto the belief that his happiness would be valued above all else; that his mother might harbour a dim view of Deera but would acknowledge that Garrison adored her regardless.

Evidently, from how last night's dinner had concluded, such an opinion was based in obliviousness to his mother's determination for power.

And so Garrison eventually found himself quietly entering his brother's bedroom a little past seven in the morning, adopting his human form in order to make the other more comfortable. Confident that they wouldn't be disturbed, such was the strength of his mother's order that her youngest be left to rest in undisturbed peace, the hulking figure made his way to his brother's side and offered his shoulder a gentle (or as gentle as Garrison was capable of being) nudge. His spare hand moved to wipe residual tears from his eyes, which bore unsubtle redness from the hours he spent miserably crying to himself over his seemingly unavoidable circumstances.

"Navi?" He murmured softly, his lips pulled to the side in uncertainty. Why he was at Navi's side, what he felt he wanted to say, was still lost on him. He usually went to Tia with his problems, sought comfort and reassurance from her primarily - but his dissatisfaction with their mother's plans, his innate belief that he couldn't go through with them, would find no understanding from her. No, he was certain she would be firmly on their mother's side and tell him to quit doubting her... which left him instead with Navi, hoping that, contrary to his words of support for marriage at the dinner last night, he would be a more understanding figure than their sister would be.

"I, uh-- can we speak? I don't want to disturb you, Mama said not to, but I-- I really-- I have to speak to someone."

As confident as Navi has felt after his short time with Lukas, there was sadly some truth to his mother’s demands. Naveen was exhausted, his body weak from pushing himself just as hard as he had dragging his older brother in the snow. That was just his physical exhaustion, emotional was a whole new level.

The day had been such a whirlwind that started so early - well, early for Naveen. He knew his siblings were often up as early as five in the morning, focused on training or working alongside their mother while Navi was left to rest and often not wake up until at least nine if not as late as noon when his chronic fatigue hits. It was one of the many reasons he was so small and skinny, given the fact he had slept through meals.

This would have been one of those days, with Navi’s blankets pulled to his chin. His arms were wrapped tightly around a spare pillow, the dream being that of an easier life. He dreamt of springtime, of catching game and growing food amongst the bright greenery. No untamed monsters, no monsters at all. No, it was simply him and another man - perhaps not Lukas but certainly the ghost of him. To be suddenly interrupted left the youngest triplet more disappointed than he wanted to be. His eye blinked away crust he realize had been built up by tears, though those tears didn’t matter. When he noticed the reddened eyes in his brother’s human form, he knew for certain that he had to put his feelings aside.

“Garrison?” He began, voice croaky and thick. He moved to use the pillow he had gripped onto tightly to help sit himself up more when he realized he couldn’t sit up himself though he wanted to offer his brother his full attention. “A-Are… you okay? D-Dong you usually talk - talk to Tia? Not t-that I don’t want to t-talk!” He reassured, offering that familiar, awkward smile.

"Tia wouldn't... she wouldn't understand. She'd get mad or-- or outraged and tell Mama and-- I just think you might be a better listener than her about this," admitted Garrison as he tentatively took a seat on the edge of the bed, pushing aside his guilt at having interrupted Navi's slumber as best he could. Ideally, he would allow him to rest for a handful more hours after the ordeals he had been made to endure, eager to see him at some level of strength and capability, but that didn't seem feasible when he was desperate to talk to someone; desperate to find support to reassure himself that how he felt wasn't... wrong, nor disrespectful.

His hands wrung together as he contemplated how best to start, even if the guilt already existing within him seemed to compound the more he considered how furious his mother would be were she to discover the doubts he held over her plans. It wasn't a minor disagreement that could be brushed aside and forgotten about - it was a fundamental distrust of her opinion; her belief.

Confessing how wary he was of the plans -and the desire he felt to simply abandon the idea of going along with them entirely- to Naveen wasn't... an easy choice to make if his determined stance on the matter the previous evening was anything to go by. Hell, Garrison half expected his brother to act in much the same way Tia would if he had chosen to open up to her - ridicule him for idiotically doubting their mother and threaten to tell her if he didn't get his act together and do precisely what she said.

But the desire to open up to someone, to receive support rather than admonishment, was far too strong to ignore.

"She doesn't-- she said I won't be marrying Deera. I thought I would be, I thought that was the plan, but Mama said at dinner, when you left, that Deera w-was-- she was a commoner. Said she was too lowly for me, wouldn't bring any benefits to the family. She wants me to marry s-some-- someone from another settlement, said I-- I would be a good match for her-- but I don't want her, Navi. I-- I only want Deera, I don't care if she's different o-or from a normal family or... or whatever! It doesn't matter to me; she's perfect for me the way she is," he blurted suddenly, the words flying from his lips the instant he decided to proceed forward with admitting them all aloud.

Cautiously eyeing his brother in fear of witnessing disappointment or even anger staining his features, the elder of the triplets opted to grab his brother's hand in his own in his desperation to make him see his point of view, such was the intensity of his concern that Navi would be on their mother's side and refuse to see anyone else's.

"I'm not marrying her, I don't care what Mama says. I don't defy her ever, I-I'm loyal and strong a-and-- it's tough, being that way sometimes. I want to do what I want, you know? Especially when it comes down to-- t-to this. Deera's... she's... I can't just turn my feelings off. Duty says I should b-but I can't, Navi. You get it, right? That-- That I'm not being mean to Mama; I just want to be with the person I love. And I love Deera, more than anything," he concluded, his expression toughening the more he vocalised, the more he emphasised, how much he loved Deera. With the force of his conviction now uttered aloud, a surge of confidence coursed through him, allowing his emotional expression to steel.

"I'm sneaking out, I have to see her. Tell her what Mama's planning and-- and tell her that I won't be doing that. That I choose her, not Mama's-- stupid plan. I have to see her now, I-- I need to be with her," he decided abruptly, nodding to himself for emphasis-- only to peer curiously at his brother shortly after. A conspiratorial smile rose on his lips at the idea that came to mind, however severe the punishment would be were anyone to find out.

"Do you want to come? I can sneak you out, nobody will say anything if they see you with me outside. Being stuck in this room has to be boring, huh? And-- if Mama finds out, I'll say I forced you, yeah? I made you come with me. She won't blame you-- she kinda thinks you're a lot less capable than you are but hey, I know differently. You saved my ass back at that cabin so-- even if Mama looks down at you, I don't. I think you're cool. Real cool."

On an average day it would come as no surprise if Naveen were to feel like everything was moving too quickly around him; like the room was spinning. Usually that would come later in the day, if it was spent being a part of his family’s activities, and he would be left needing to tuck his head between his legs and center himself.

Never had those feelings been hit so strongly by his brother’s admission of love for Deera, his one eye scanning his brother quickly while he held a rather neutral expression, his mind still wrapping around the fact that Garrison - who he loved dearly - was nonetheless opening up to him when he just admitted that emotional connection would’ve usually been saved for their sister. His face was neutral not because he was indifferent but because he hadn’t really honed his human form enough to express what he was feeling.

Sympathy was certainly the strongest emotion tugging on poor Navi’s heartstrings as he watched his otherwise cheerful brother pour his heart out to him, watching just how truly he loved her. While their mother had been their only form of comparison, true love felt like a rarity amongst their kind so to see someone he loved struggle hurt.

Second emotion? Anger. Fiery, passionate anger. After all, Navi had just been unceremoniously yanked away from the man he was pretty sure he loved, if his dreams meant anything he realized. He had found someone who he didn’t feel inferior next to. He had found someone who offered him some hope, some respect, rather than the constant infantilization he felt amongst his family. So his dreams were shattered, and now he was supposed to feel bad for Garrison?

Feel bad that his brother was too stupid to realize his role was bigger than him? Feel bad that he could still very well see Deera even if he had to marry another woman? It made him want to laugh, though he didn’t. No, he kept quiet and listened intently to his brother, ready to respond - before, like what felt like his entire life, he was forced to participate in something he had no power behind.

That anger was fueled by the mention of how their mother viewed him; like a piece of art just so fragile that it was safer to keep behind walls to keep it safe. His fists clenched underneath his blanket before he exhaled quietly.

“I n-n-need to get dal-dressed,” Navi finally said before motioning to his clothes which, while not exclusively pajamas, were certainly close. “I-I will come, D-Deera seems nice. Cute.”