Farthern Legends

"Well it's either alcohol or water, so whichever you like." Patch said, tying the his pack to the saddle. "I'm probably getting a pint first, then sobering up with ice water. I always do."

" I WANNA TRY ALCHOHOL! " He said excitedly. " My mom would probly kill me if she ever finds out. " He said as he giggles lightly.

"You're getting one pint, like me, then your with water. I can't have you getting drunk." Patch said, shaking his head and mounting Locklin easily. "How old are you anyway, Eclipse?"

" I'm 16. " he said as he mounted Delphi.

"Few months older than I was then. I see nothing wrong with one pint." Patch said, emphizing one. He never let himself get drunk, unless he was with a dame. Then he'd get drunk. But he hadn't been with anyone in years, so he had little interest in it now. "But like I said, I don't want you getting drunk." He urged Locklin forward, back to the road. "Besides, you need to watch how information is received It's not as easy as today's is going to be, mind you, but that's just because I've been around long enough to make connections."

" Yes sir. " he said as he followed behind patch.

"Please, don't sir me. It's Patch." Patch said, glancing back before looking forward once more. He hated being called sir. Another ghost of his past, sorry to say.

" Ok. " He said as he smiled. " So how long till we stop again? " he asks as he keeps pace with patch.

"Noon, we should be there by then." Patch said, glancing up at the sky. He had no interest in traveling at midday. They'd stay till the sun past the witching point, as he called it. Thirty minutes at most.

" Ok. " he said as he yawned loudly. " When did you get up? " he asked as he still felt really tired.

"Bout an hour before you. Caught some fish for dinner tonight." Patch said, looking back at the still tired fox. He chuckled; the kid would learn. In time the child-like ideals and habits would fade. This little adventure would be good for him. He knew the ways of the sword; the rest he had to learn as he went along.

" Who was that guy lastnight? He looked big.. "

"His name is Kanchin, Eclipse, and under no circumstances are you to engage him in a fight." Patch said, shaking his head slightly. "I got his brother killed, in a war a few years back. I blame myself and he blames me too. He and I are bound to fight one another until one of us is dead. It was my mistake, and I'll not have you dragged into it as well." He looked back at the fox, eyes well guarded. "His brother was your age; not ready for a fight. I'm hoping I'm not making the same mistake again, bringing you to a fight. I'm trying to right a wrong I made with you, I suppose...though I'm not entirely sure myself."

" ...... Patch i am ready.. " He said as he made delphi trott up next to patch and put his hand on his shoulder as he looked over to him.

"You're a boy, Eclipse." Patch said, shaking his head. "Boys your age should be chasing girls, sneaking alcohol, hell maybe even participating in turf fights. You shouldn't be in a war, or even an actual fight like the one I was in last night." He shook his head, rolling his shoulder. "Ready or not, life is a demon."

" I think life is just a cold hearted bitch that will take anyone that you love from you...... Like my dead girlfreind.... " He said. Patch had been the first he had shared this with due to him fully trusting him. He sighhed as he tried to hold back tears. " The story behind that is, one day me and my girlfriend was out late at night.. When we shouldn't have been. Somebody was following us, we didn't pay no attention to him and he came up and stabbed us both and robbed me and her of our valubles. I still have the scar from that night. " he said as he pulled back some fur on his right side which revealed a five inch scar from where he was stabbed. " Every time it burns it brings back memories of that night. Not only did that happen but i vowed i will avenge her death and WILL finde her kliller and bring him down even if it kills me....... " he said as he clentched his fist as tears started to fall from his eyes.

"Like I said...a boy.." Patch said softly, shaking his head. "Anger clouds your judgement, just as it did mine years ago. When I got Kanchin's brother killed. I don't doubt you loved her, Eclipse, but in anger you made a vow that you should have never made." He ran his hand down the scar on his arm. "The answer to death is not death; I know, I've tread this path too long not too. One day, you will find the man who took her from you. He will be at your mercy and you will be forced to choose." He shook his head, "My only hope for that day is that you are more grown up than I was. And that you don't make the same mistake I did."

" I never take back what i have vowed.. " he said as he looked down a low growl emmitting from his throat.

"You honor your word, I respect that." Patch said, looking at the young fox, eyes still guarded. "But you are not a devil's child. You haven't done anything to regret. You haven't earned a name of Betrayer, Cheat, Backstabber, Cruel Friend. Broken Lover." He shook his head. "Think of what your girl would have wanted, then decide if his death is worth it. Your girl surely was not a killer, not if you didn't vow to become one till after her death."

He looked down as he stayed silent, he made Delphi stop as he sighhed lightly. " ........ "