1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I enjoy many genres, but I tend to stay with mostly fantasy. ^.^
Hello!
First off, let me say this idea isn't in the form of a complete roleplay.
Second, let me say, I'm lazy, if others take interest, I would greatly appreciate a co-mod, and possibly a small army of mini-mods for the roleplay.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, my idea:
So, I found this image, and it inspired in me an idea. A fantasy roleplay, set in a D&D style world(Let it be known I know little to nothing about D&D). The catch? Every action must be decided upon by dice. Now, for a lot of people dice are a turn off. But, this is for comedy purposes! To put it into perspective, this is my inspiration:
3bb3186d5a374841c495776f775b9b57.jpg

This would be high fantasy, with plenty of room for character building. Any takers?
I do plan on this being a Red Star RP, but if it get's enough blue star interest I might consider that as well

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jessica
So, what exactly is the plot? And how do you plan on incorporating D&D elements? I'm a little confused; It'd be nice to have something to work with other than a comic that inspired you to create a fantasy rp with D&D elements...

Well, as of now, I don't have a plot in mind. It's really just a super basic idea, but I will get on that if this garners enough interest. I have a few fantasy plots that I could tweak to work, or invent an all new one!

As for incorporating D&D elements, I really don't know much about D&D, aside from the obvious stuff like it's fantasy, and you have to roll dice for every action. I plan on using this die system(or a similar one) to add a comedy aspect. It won't be used for actions just in combat, but everyday life. If a character is working a job, such as a waiter-person(I forget the term) at a tavern, and they roll a 1, a hilarious fail would occur, where as if they were to roll a higher number, like a 20, they would spectacularly succeed in a sparkling fashion. Sparkles not guaranteed.

If any other D&D elements were to be added, I would need someone with better knowledge of that sort of thing to Co-Mod.

I'm intrigued, as I always like something with a high degree of randomness, but the odds of getting a 1 or a 20 from a D20 is 5% each. It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. If you're trying to maximise the comedic potential, you would be better off using a smaller die, like a D6, and having set outcomes - e.g. 1 is a disastrous fail, 2 is fail, 3 or 4 are average, 5 is a success and 6 is a great success. On a D20, you've got 1 and 20 as special outcomes and everything in between varying in terms of success. My understanding of D&D is limited, but I know a lot of it's based on your character having sufficient strengths to minimise the randomness of the rolls, so that while rolling a 1 is terrible, you might have a character built in such a way as to succeed on a task even if they roll a 2.

You'll also need to work out just what to roll and not roll for. If my character has to roll for success on drinking a pint of ale in the local tavern then that's just going to slow the whole thing down. I don't know enough D&D to know which situations require dice rolling and which ones don't, but there definitely needs to be scope to allow us to just do things without needing to roll first.

That said, if you're going for it and you want things to be random, why not require everyone to use this site as the basis for their character? I tried it just now and got:

[A] disruptive Half-elf Wizard from a theatre company who doesn't understand sarcasm

Within the randomness of a dice rolling roleplay, I can see how that kind of character could fit right in.

Finally, would this be a slice of life type of roleplay where characters live in a high fantasy town and just try to get through everyday life, or are they on an epic quest to do some great deed, provided that the dice permit this?

This sounds pretty crazy. I'll dip my leg in and see how I roll.

I'm intrigued, as I always like something with a high degree of randomness, but the odds of getting a 1 or a 20 from a D20 is 5% each. It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. If you're trying to maximise the comedic potential, you would be better off using a smaller die, like a D6, and having set outcomes - e.g. 1 is a disastrous fail, 2 is fail, 3 or 4 are average, 5 is a success and 6 is a great success. On a D20, you've got 1 and 20 as special outcomes and everything in between varying in terms of success. My understanding of D&D is limited, but I know a lot of it's based on your character having sufficient strengths to minimise the randomness of the rolls, so that while rolling a 1 is terrible, you might have a character built in such a way as to succeed on a task even if they roll a 2.
My plan was to use a smaller die, though my original plan was for a D10, a D6 sounds so much simpler, and like it would work better! Thanks for the suggestion!

You'll also need to work out just what to roll and not roll for. If my character has to roll for success on drinking a pint of ale in the local tavern then that's just going to slow the whole thing down. I don't know enough D&D to know which situations require dice rolling and which ones don't, but there definitely needs to be scope to allow us to just do things without needing to roll first.
My plan for this was things like working/fighting/romance/etc. would have to be rolled for. Basic everyday life things such as drinking/eating/etc. Won't be rolled for, because as you said that would be more of a droll than comedy...I mean, it could still be potential comedy if someone spectacularly failed at drinking, or spectacularly succeeded(because, if someone dramatically drank a pint of Ale in a super flashy fashion without spilling a drop, you would be impressed). If people wish to roll for those, they will be able to, but it definitely won't be a requirement.

That said, if you're going for it and you want things to be random, why not require everyone to use this site as the basis for their character? I tried it just now and got:

[A] disruptive Half-elf Wizard from a theatre company who doesn't understand sarcasm
While this is a pretty good idea, I prefer to see peoples creativeness, and sometimes it can be hard to fit a given mold. I might have it listed as a source for character ideas. That half-elf would fit perfectly into a comedy world. I got a grouchy halfling fighter from the long abandoned mines that used to work as a tavern bouncer. XD

Finally, would this be a slice of life type of roleplay where characters live in a high fantasy town and just try to get through everyday life, or are they on an epic quest to do some great deed, provided that the dice permit this?
My fantasy roleplays tend to be a combination of the two. But, if I had to pick which it would lean towards, I would say they would be working towards an epic quest of some sort.

This sounds pretty crazy. I'll dip my leg in and see how I roll.
Hai Crow!

Well, as of now, I don't have a plot in mind. It's really just a super basic idea, but I will get on that if this garners enough interest. I have a few fantasy plots that I could tweak to work, or invent an all new one!

As for incorporating D&D elements, I really don't know much about D&D, aside from the obvious stuff like it's fantasy, and you have to roll dice for every action. I plan on using this die system(or a similar one) to add a comedy aspect. It won't be used for actions just in combat, but everyday life. If a character is working a job, such as a waiter-person(I forget the term) at a tavern, and they roll a 1, a hilarious fail would occur, where as if they were to roll a higher number, like a 20, they would spectacularly succeed in a sparkling fashion. Sparkles not guaranteed.

If any other D&D elements were to be added, I would need someone with better knowledge of that sort of thing to Co-Mod.

Ah, well I wish you the best of luck on this rp then.

@Neo. Well, thanks for clearing that up. I'm still interested if this gets off of the ground.

Is this gonna be/already a thing? o.o

Is this gonna be/already a thing? o.o
It's not a thing yet, but it will be if it get's a little more interest. With you, there's three people, and I wanted at least four. :3

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jessica
Still looking for players?

Yes we are :D

Then I am in.

• Love
Reactions: Teiso
Is this going to be like D&D with the leveling system?

Is this going to be like D&D with the leveling system?
I was not planning on having a stat/level system, no....but that's because of two reasons, the biggest one being I wouldn't know how to properly implement such a system, and the second being I feel it would take away from what is supposed to be a fun, comedic adventure :D

Ok you waiting on more players?

Well, with you we actually have enough for me to get the ooc up. I just have other stuff I'm doing, so it might take a day or two. Sorry ^.^"