I'M LOSING MY VOICE AND IT'S JOHN LENNON'S FAULT. >:C

@Kagayours
Apparently John Hurt (The War Doctor) just died. :(

D: Oh... that's... saddening news.
Yea. :/

I'm just going to imagine he got himself stuck in a tiny planet sized universe disconnected from everything else going on.

• Love
Reactions: Kagayours
Amy: *points at a Dalek laser* You don't want to get hit with that.
Rory: Yes, getting shot is bad. Thank you for pointing that out.

^ Just one highlight from last night's Doctor Who tabletop game that I thought was worth sharing. XD

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Neobullseye
Amy: *points at a Dalek laser* You don't want to get hit with that.
Rory: Yes, getting shot is bad. Thank you for pointing that out.

^ Just one highlight from last night's Doctor Who tabletop game that I thought was worth sharing. XD
There's a Doctor Who tabletop?

Are Daleks the DM's "Rocks fall you die" card?
Uhhh. Well, not in last night's game -- but we also technically never encountered any full-fledged Daleks in that game, actually. The closest we got to that was a handful of humanoid guards carrying laser guns that were very clearly just Dalek lasers that had been modified slightly so that they could be wielded by humanoids. But we actually fared pretty well against them due to a combination of Rory being a fucking badass and K-9 getting a really good roll despite me fully expecting him to just get shot and destroyed.

I feel I should also mention that I'm running on very little sleep, and it took me almost 20 minutes to form the explanation that I just typed, and I'm still not sure that any of it made sense.

*Waves hello*

My brain sometimes can go off on the most wild tangents. Friday's tangent actually stemmed from your comment on the Teen Wolf fandom going squirrel when it saw a squirrel and getting easily distracted which led me to remember where I had heard that before. I finally remembered that it was from Up and the dog ( Dug, I think said it.)

Which brought me to the weird question: Does Dug have ADHD?

Yup, it is one of those weird tangent questions that only my mind can come up.

Which brought me to the weird question: Does Dug have ADHD?

Yup, it is one of those weird tangent questions that only my mind can come up.
.......I think the squirrel thing from Up was just a joke about Doug being a dog. Dogs get easily distracted and chase things. Dogs are sort of known for harassing squirrels in particular. It's kind of their thing. (Besides, all the dogs in that movie flipped out at even the mere mention of a squirrel. It wasn't just Doug. So if being easily-distracted by squirrels automatically makes for an ADHD character, then all of the dogs in Up would be candidates. :P )

Anyway, while someone could maybe make a case for Doug being an ADHD character if he was human... he isn't human, he's a dog. And most of his personality traits seem to just be based off of the fact that he's a dog. He's easily-distracted and sometimes hyperactive because... that's how dogs behave, which I'm pretty sure is the joke. I doubt Disney meant for it to be read as an ADHD thing.

I should also probably mention that the "look, a squirrel" line probably didn't originate from Up (or at the very least, it wasn't what I was trying to reference when I said that to you). A character cutting off-mid sentence and saying "look, a(n) X!" is pretty common when it comes to jokes and stereotypical depictions of ADHD (especially when the X is a rather mundane, everyday sight that most people wouldn't care much about -- and a squirrel seems to be the noun that people choose most often, for whatever reason.)

one of those weird tangent questions that only my mind can come up.
Listen, friend. I once started a train of thought with "the fact that the Japanese use the katakana writing system specifically for writing out non-Japanese words is kind of stupid when you consider the fact that can only produce the exact same set of sounds hirigana, therefore still excluding non-Japanese sounds" and ended with "the Beatles' Liverpool accents were really thick during their early days, but then those accents gradually diminished over time, to the point where modern-day Paul and Ringo only have mild, vaguely British accents -- did their accents change naturally as a result of living such global lives? Or did they intentionally try to get rid of their Liverpool accents?"

Now, you might be thinking, "well at least there's a common theme of language and sound. I can sort of imagine how one thing could've led to another". In that case, I should point out that I also once started a train of thought with me trying to list the causes of death for all the Doctors in chronological order, and eventually ended with "how much do they pay the guy whose job it is to wear the Mickey Mouse suit at Disney World?"

Your "weird tangent questions" look like perfectly logical connections to me. :P

Reactions: LuckycoolHawk9
Those are some very different trains of thoughts- I guess my tangents usually stay on topic in my mind. ( Though to anyone I know, trying to explain how I got from Point A to Point Z is always interesting.) I should probably read over the ADHD information and eventually figure out how to introduce Teen Wolf.

But we actually fared pretty well against them due to a combination of Rory being a fucking badass and K-9 getting a really good roll despite me fully expecting him to just get shot and destroyed.
I take it the system doesn't let you make your own characters?

I take it the system doesn't let you make your own characters?
You can! One of our players was a local of the planet that we were on. Technically he was still using a pre-made CS in the sense that it was given to him by the GM as opposed to being made by the player, but it was still clear that the GM was the one who filled out the sheet -- so, yeah, the system definitely allows for non-canon characters.

K-9 wasn't even a player character. He was more of an NPC, and was only in our party because I was playing the Fourth Doctor, and, K-9 belongs to him. XD

You can! One of our players was a local of the planet that we were on. Technically he was still using a pre-made CS in the sense that it was given to him by the GM as opposed to being made by the player, but it was still clear that the GM was the one who filled out the sheet -- so, yeah, the system definitely allows for non-canon characters.

K-9 wasn't even a player character. He was more of an NPC, and was only in our party because I was playing the Fourth Doctor, and, K-9 belongs to him. XD
Could someone build and play Captain Jack? :P

Could someone build and play Captain Jack? :P
Theoretically, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if the game came with a pre-made CS for him, though. o.o

ALTHOUGH, that reminded me of another thing that happened in our game:

So, the background to this is, there was a damaged Dalek that landed on this planet (which the people there referred to as "the Messenger"), and the Messenger gave the locals advanced technology and seemed to be helping improve their society and all that (although it should go without saying that they were all just being used), and, in return, the locals practically worshipped the Messenger, and were most certainly willing to protect him and just generally help him in whatever way possible.

So, our party was confronting the Messenger -- who was of course surrounded by armed guards and all that -- and we heard one of them say to the Messenger that they captured the "time agent" who was causing them trouble earlier.

So then, both in-character and out, my first thought was -- it's another Time Lord.

But the rest of the table was just like "!!!!! captAIN JACK HARKNESS", and I thought, "oh yeah, I almost forgot that Jack was a time agent -- I guess that would make sense", but then we were like, "wait, do we even have any characters who would know who Captain Jack is?", and we realized that the only member of our party who would've met him before is Donna.

So eventually we see the captured time agent, and everyone's still really hoping it'll be Captain Jack, but then the GM says, "none of you recognize him. ...Including Donna" and everyone's kind of like "oh... darn...", and then the GM turns to me and says "but you notice that he's wearing Gallifreyan clothing"

And I thought, "oh, I guess I was right the first time. Cool." XD

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
ALSO, easily one of the most amusing things about being the Fourth Doctor traveling with a bunch of New Who companions is that they kept suggesting that I use the sonic screwdriver to do things that the screwdriver was most certainly not able to do back then. XD

AAAAAAAAAH *punches a wall*

NO

NO NO NO

YOU CAN'T DO THIS AGAIN, DOCTOR WHO.

LAST TIME THIS HAPPENED, YOU CREATED A DIVIDE IN THE FANBASE THAT STILL HASN'T HEALED.

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SAW?? AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO NOTICED???

AND YOU WANT TO MAKE THOSE SAME MISTAKES ALL OVER AGAIN??

*sigh*

Apparently Peter Capaldi will be leaving the show at the end of 2017. Bear in mind, we already know that Steven Moffat will also be stepping down at pretty much the same time.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SOUNDS LIKE A RETREAD OF?

OH, NOTHING MUCH, JUST THE WAY THAT DAVID TENNANT AND RUSSEL T. DAVIES LEFT AT THE SAME TIME AND WERE THEN REPLACED BY MATT SMITH AND STEVEN MOFFAT WHICH THEN RESULTED IN THE ENTIRE SHOW CHANGING ALL AT ONCE, WITH NOTHING FROM DAVIES' ERA CARRYING OVER AS MOFFAT FELT THE NEED TO NOT ONLY REPLACE AND REMAKE ALL THE SHOW'S MOST ICONIC VISUAL ELEMENTS IN ONE FELL SWOOP (with the new sonic screwdriver, new TARDIS interior, and a new opening sequence), BUT ALSO COMPLETELY ABANDONED ALL OF DAVIES' CHARACTERS AND PLOT THREADS, MANY OF WHICH HAVEN'T SEEN THE LIGHT OF DAY EVER SINCE, AND IMMEDIATELY INTRODUCED A NEW SET OF COMPANIONS AS WELL AS A FOCUS ON SEASON-LONG ARCS (which the show hadn't seen very much of before), THEREFORE ALIENATING MANY FANS WHO WERE FOND OF TENNANT/DAVIES' ERA, CAUSING MANY OF THEM TO STOP WATCHING THE SHOW THEN AND THERE, AND, EVEN AMONG THOSE WHO STAYED, CREATED AN INTENSE TENNANT-VS-SMITH RIVALRY WHICH I'M PRETTY SURE HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BETWEEN ANY CONSECUTIVE DOCTORS BEFORE OR SINCE.

*sigh*

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- you have to be gentle with the regenerations. You're essentially killing off the star character that everyone has spent the last few years growing so fond of, and then replacing him with someone else. It's unsurprising that people might be a bit reluctant to give the new Doctor a fair chance, and you can certainly expect that any new Doctor will be compared to their predecessor and people will lament the fact that this new person isn't exactly the same as the one that came before -- because people don't want the parts of a show that they like to be the things that get taken away. That's understandable. And in order to ease the transition and give people time to warm up to the new Doctor, you have to keep some things the same. That's why Nine-to-Ten and Eleven-to-Twelve went over relatively smoothly. They still had the same companions that they had before the regeneration, and the same screwdrivers (as small of a difference as that may be), and, probably most importantly, they still had the same showrunners, which meant that the show didn't suddenly have a completely different feel, and it meant that plot threads from the previous Doctor's season(s) could still carry on into the next. The Doctor may have regenerated, but you're still watching the same show. And while I do like seeing the show grow and evolve over time, it feels much less jarring when those changes happen gradually instead of all-at-once.

BUT WHEN YOU CHANGE THE DOCTOR AND THE SHOWRUNNER (as well as a shitton of other things, in the case of the Davies/Moffat transition) AT THE SAME TIME, YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE WATCHING A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SHOW, which is why the resulting divide among fans is rather understandable. ...Albeit upsetting.

I suppose that if Moffat and Capaldi both just happened to decide that they were ready to leave the show at what happened to be approximately the same time, then I can't really fault either of them for that, or expect either of them to stay for another season if they don't want to. I'm just hoping that Moffat's replacement treads very carefully and actually makes an effort to gently guide viewers through the transition instead of smacking us all over-the-head with a complete makeover to the show like Moffat did when Davies left.

Maybe we can at least... keep season 10's companion around for a bit while longer... and maybe- maybe we'll see Missy again one last time before she regenerates again. And... I know a lot of people think Moffat's plot lines are ridiculous and don't make any sense -- and I can understand that criticism -- but, goddammit, I still want to see at least some of that carry over into the next era, just so that there's some continuity between showrunners for once.

I think you all know me well enough to know that I'm going to give the new Doctor/showrunner a chance no matter what -- but I certainly am worried about what the aftermath in the fandom might look like if this transition isn't handled carefully...

THEREFORE, while everyone else argues and speculates over who the new Doctor will or should be -- per usual -- I have other concerns on my mind...

you have to be gentle with the regenerations. You're essentially killing off the star character that everyone has spent the last few years growing so fond of
ElJT9Gu.gif

Posted for Touhou to keep stuff going. I'll post for Final Fantasy soon, too.

Reactions: Kagayours