Fandoms; Which are you part of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like being a part of fandoms. At all.

Just for the sake it automatically lumps me in with the worst and most obnoxious of the group. It's something me and my spouse have come to detest and it's really killed our love of some settings and characters.

That's not all to say I don't like things and enjoy talking about them on occasion. It's just more than once it gets brought up and the other person EXPLODES into a fit of inhuman adoration for something fictional (and often out of their age range).
Exactly. This is why I have to make the distinction asking what someone means by 'fandom.' I'm a fan of a lot of things, but I'm not part of the entity that is The Fandom in any way. Closest I've ever gotten to that was joining a couple forums for specific book series many years ago and then quickly abandoning them because of how atrocious the communities were. From what I've seen of modern fandom communities they've gotten exponentially worse since then, so I avoid them like the damned plague.

What even constitutes being part of a fandom? Is there a threshold after which you join the fandom? How the hell do you measure it? "X" amount of merchandise purchased? :I

I prefer just being a fan of things.

I prefer just being a fan of things.
I pretty much just consider being part of a "fandom" meaning that you like something and aren't afraid to show it or talk about it.

Every fandom has some pretty shitty people in it, but they're usually a vocal minority. Most fandom-members just like to take pride in a thing they really like. *shrugga-shrug*

As for mine? Hooooly shit you people can't ask me these kinds of questions during such a busy time like finals week. I'll be here all day. I guess if you want some of the major ones it would be;

Doctor Who
Homestuck
Trigun
MLP
The Beatles
Pokemon
Digimon
Sherlock

And um. Those are all the ones I can think of right now without putting too much thought into it.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Exactly. This is why I have to make the distinction asking what someone means by 'fandom.' I'm a fan of a lot of things, but I'm not part of the entity that is The Fandom in any way. Closest I've ever gotten to that was joining a couple forums for specific book series many years ago and then quickly abandoning them because of how atrocious the communities were. From what I've seen of modern fandom communities they've gotten exponentially worse since then, so I avoid them like the damned plague.
This has also been my experience.

The whole BioWare Social Network is the most entitled prissy hellhole I've ever had the misfortune of ever joining.

Nasuverse.
and SAO.

They are fairly sane compared to others.

I'm a massive Comic Book Nerd, honestly. I like both DC and Marvel and don't usually side with one over the other.

And No, as much as I may like a lot of the MCU Movies, and the Dark Knight Trilogy as a whole, I don't consider part of those fandoms.

Bastion/Transistor and the Wakfu fandom is the only one I ever considered myself to rep to any degree

Reactions: Windsong
Oh! I also started a fandom that's only at my school over a Fantasy story I wrote.
Not even kidding. some people handed in Short stories taking place in the world I made.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Game of Thrones since I help out with my creative mind! But, there are others that I like-which is a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.