Fallout New York (dunruffle & margeree)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nils shrugged, "we had hydroponics that provided us with food. We also had some rations but that was for rare occassions like birthdays." Taking the energy cells, he watched margaery clean her gun. "so have you had to kill anyone. I dont know if I could." Taking the sugarbombs he chewed experimentally and grimaced. "i have something better." Reaching into his pack he pulled out a package of blamco mac and cheese. He then offered half to margaery.

"Honestly, I haven't had to killed anyone. Only animals and bugs so far. I've been really lucky with that." She couldn't believe how lucky, in all honestly. "There's been a couple times were some Raiders or Muties spotted me but it didn't last long. I can be very sneaky." She grinned, finishing up with her pistol before checking the chamber and placing it back in it's holster. When Nils handed her the mac and cheese, she took the box and gave it sniff. It was something she'd seen on shelves but had never actually tried. It wasn't terrible, but it made her miss those Fancy Lady snack cakes. "Here's to hoping it never resorts to that." She raised the box in a mock salute. "Here, here! Ah, if only we had some real drink," Margaery said, eyeing the empty whiskey bottles.

Nils smiled and nodded. "well here is hoping that our search gives us results." He then took his half of the mac and cheese and chowed down. "so what made you decide to leave your home and travel to new york?"

"I just had to... get away." Margaery made herself comfortable on the mattress, laying back with her arms behind her head. She gazed up at the ceiling, broken and fragile, thinking back to the day she'd decided to leave. "My father made this arrangement for me, and it made me realize that I had a whole world to explore..." Her voice broke off, overcome with homesickness. She swallowed the feeling and turned to look at Nils. "I've read about the wonders of New York, and I've always wondered how much of it still holds true. It's been a long journey, but I'm really happy to have some company." She smiled. "Would you mind taking the first watch? I'm so exhausted."

Nils smiled and nodded, "sure. I will wake you up in a little bit." He then leaned against a wall and rested his laser pistol in his lap.
(Sorry for the short post)

Margaery thanked him softly and began falling into a hazy sleep. It hadn't been difficult; knowing that Nils would keep an eye out on things made her feel almost safe. It was a definite improvement over sleeping alone, when anything could sneak up on your and kill you instantly. That why she loved those burned out cars so much. It was as if they weren't really there, amidst the destruction that was everywhere. Her last conscience thought was a hope that tonight would be peaceful, and the two could truly rest before venturing out into the unknowns of New York. And then she found... sleep.

Nils smiled as he watched margaery fall asleep. Looking around, he sighed and checked to see if his laser pistol was loaded. After making sure it was, Nils looked around restlessly. It was his first night out in the wasteland, and being nervous was an understatement. He jumped several times as things made noises out in the dark. For several hours the nervous Nils continued his nervous watch over margaery. After looking at his pipboy and calculating a few hours had passed, Nils reached over and gently shook margaery. "umm..margaery? Its your turn.."

She woke from her sleep, muttering about a water chip in a sea of zombies. It took a moment for her to clear her head enough to remember the real world. Yawning, she nodded to Nils, standing up to stretch in the chilly, dark morning air, thankful for the bit of rest. It was refreshing, though she was sure not very long had passed, and after another couple of moments, her mind was fully away.

"I'm ready," she said, taking a few sips of dirty water in her bag. The taste made her want to choke, but water is water, and regardless of flavor it felt good to hydrate. Afterwards she made her way out of the room to inspect some of the rubble in the main hall. It was dark, and she couldn't see. Looking up into the second story, she was almost certain that she could crawl up there if the second-landing could support her weight. Glancing back in the room where Nils was, she decided against it and came back to stand guard.

The sounds of the wasteland at during the very early morning were few and far between. There seemed to be life out there, wandering around, but they stayed away from the broken down home so she wasn't terribly worried.

Nils nodded and layed down on one of the dirty mattresses. He tried to sleep, he really did. But he kept tossing and turning. He eventually fell into a fitful sleep, occassionally waking up whenever there was a loud sound then falling back asleep. After a few hours, he gave up and sighed. Sitting up he looked around for margaery. "Margaery?..you there?"

"Over here," she said from the front room. Margaery had taken to watching the distant horizon where the blackness of the city could be seen. Hearing Nils approach, she turned to him, grateful he had woken and very ready to depart. "Did you want to get going? We still have some ground to cover, and it should be light soon." Her fingers touched the handle of her 10mm. As normal as everything appeared, Margaery couldn't shake this feeling that something would go wrong. In the Wastelands, no one took chances, and those that did were gone. It occurred to her how vulnerable they were, a diplomat and an engineer, seeking some hidden truths together, unaware of what lay just ahead. This feeling had paralyzed her several times throughout her journey, but an old family motto kept her going. Growing Strong; she would continue to prevail, and this adventure was only going to prove that.

Nils nodded and got his things. "Did you hear all that stuff last night? Is it normal for things to move around that much? How can you sleep through that?" Nils peppered margaery as he went back to her. "So whats the plan when we get to the city?"

The girl nodded, pulling out the pistol and peering into the early morning dawn. "Mostly," she answered. "It was probably just some feral ghouls." It wasn't comforting, imagining the irradiated corpses roaming in the night. But she would much rather take on ghouls than most alternatives. She thought about his next question, but pondered on it before she spoke. What is our plan? She lead them out onto the road and left the broken house behind, heading straight into the city. She she finally spoke, her words were soft and quiet.

"I figured we could check out everything alongside the road," then she added, "once we get closer to the city." Gazing around in the dark at the barren wastelands on one side, and the land sloping down until it met up with the coast on the other side, she figured his fellow vault-dwellers hadn't journeyed in either direction. They had headed towards the ancient metropolis ahead, using the best route available; this paved road.

Margaery realized that she had to pee. Badly. Why hadn't I gone beforehand? It irritated her and made her feel like a child, but she stopped and turned to Nils, explaining her sudden need to vanish into some bushes. And then she went, shuffling off the road side and down into a ditch where dry, desert bushes grew wildly. Trying to find an appropriate spot, she searched and searched, when a sudden noise made her freeze. The air left her lungs as she heard a shotgun being cocked, and a dry voice greeted her. "Don't you go screamin', now. Keep your mouth shut and follow my voice. There we go..." She had taken to stepping backwards, quietly and in shock. She wanted to scream for Nils but she could feel the presence behind her, and for the first time since she had been out in the wastelands, she knew this was going to be the end. There's no turning back.

Nils nodded and waited as margaery dissappeared. While he waited he looked at his surroundings. Suddenly out of the corner of his eye, Nils saw something move near where margaery had gone. Hesitantly, Nils walked closer and heard some whispering in the bushes. Gulping down his fear, Nils shakily took out his laser pistol and crept around the bushes towards the back to see if he could find out what was going on.

Fear caught in her throat, making it impossible to breath. Never before had she been so careless, and now everything would end just like this. She continued to back up, still surrounded by brush, masked in the darkness of early morning, and she immediately thought of Nils. On one hand, she wished desperately that he would bust through the bushes, blasting this freak with his lasor pistol, allowing her to turn and shoot. But on the other hand... she didn't want him to die in a failed rescue attempt. It was conflicting, the desire to be saved and the wish for Nils to get away from it all. Walking backwards, another step, step, step, she felt the barrel collide with her back, and it was then she stopped moving. Standing there, with her hands held up at waist level and the imminent silence around them, it struck her that they were out in the open. She hadn't even realized they'd passed the bushes and moved into plain site. That's when his hoarse voice whispered again. "Now turn around, that's the ticket." She did was she was bid. Turning slowly, she came face-to-face with this man, and her worse fears became a reality; raiders. He was wearing some kind of thick goggles, and the lenses kept reflecting blue and green colors. She could see him staring her up and down, nothing but the powerful barrel of a shotgun between them. Though it was dark, she could easily make out his body against the dark background, and she closed her eyes, waiting for everything to end right there. Get away from here Nils, she screamed in her head. Where there was one raider, there were always more. They banded together like bloatflies. Run away! There was no need for anyone to die on her account; it had been her fault to fall into a raider trap, and she would be the only one to suffer.

Nils crept around the bushes and gulped when he saw the raider holding Margaery hostage. Looking around he didn't see anyone else, so he decided to take action. Picking up a rock, he crept to the edge of the bushes a few feet away from the two. He then tossed the rock to the far side of the raider, making him turn to look to where the sound came from. Not trusting himself to shoot accurately, Nils rushed out from the bushes and activated his pole saw. Swinging his saw down with a loud buzz, Nils cut through the raider's arms, leaving him screaming and falling to the ground. Nils grabbed Margeary and pulled her back away from the raider who was laying on the ground in a steadily expanding pool of blood. "Are you okay?!"

The buzzing had been shocking, causing her eyes to snap open, and then the raider lost his two arms. It all happened so quickly. She shrieked, being pulled away from the body by Nils. She clutched his arm, staring wide-eyed at the man who looked like nothing more than a grotesque worm, wriggling and screaming in pain. It sickened her as she noticed the dark pool of blood seeping from his missing limbs. What little had been in her stomach came up, and she bent over and let it out, drowned out by her arm-less assailant. The man's words were inaudible, pain blinding his sense of speech, and Margaery felt the sudden need to run very far away. Looking over at Nils, she could see the orange, pink haze of the morning light, still behind the distant horizon.

"What... did you... do?" She asked shakily, but she knew full well what had happened. That impressive piece of equipment he had built back at the Red Rocket Station just saved her life.

Nils stared at the man in shock, "I um..i don't know..I just wanted to save you..I didn't think.." The screams of the raider slowly became softer and eventually he just lay twitching in his pool of blood. Feeling queasy himself, Nils pulled Margeary away from the sight. "L-lets go.." He pulled her back through the bushes and began jogging with her down the road, away from the gruesome event that took place. "Sorry...i didn't know what to do..I didn't think i could shoot straight enough to hit him.."

She followed Nils through the bushes and onto the pavement, jogging beside him and shuffling through what he said. Her mind was still racing, her heart in her throat, her stomach now heavy like lead. "Did you see the way his arms... his arms came off?" It was difficult to form the words, but she managed. The imagery was still very fresh in her mind, like a looping animation, replaying it over and over lest she forgot. "And the blood..." She could feel the color drain from her face, as if the heat had gone from her body.

They both came upon a car, a severely wrecked station wagon, with no more doors and a couple of dirty skeletons in the front seat. Margaery had to stop running for a second. She sat in the back seat, tucking her feet in like she were an actual passenger. She was trying desperately to catch her breath. "I only need a moment," she said, practicing the deep-breathing techniques she had read about. "Only a moment..." One, two, three... one, two three...

Nils stopped and leaned against the hood of the car breathing heavily. "Yeah..I didn't expect there to be that much blood..But i am glad you are okay...That was my first time..hurting someone...its not as easy as it sounds in the books.." He looked around then glanced at the bloody saw blade. "Ugh...I hope i dont have to do that kind of thing again..."

Her breathing had slowed, and her heart began to beat softer. "Me either," she said, staring at the motorized blade. The serrated edges had all sorts of matter in them, and she was silently thankful that she wouldn't be the one cleaning it. "I mean... I've seen raiders like that and what they do to people. But I've never seen anything like that so close to my face." The acrid stench of blood still filled her nostrils. "I really hope that's the last of them."

She pulled herself out of the car and walked with Nils down the highway. As the sun spilled it's rays across the ground, the road ahead became crowded with buildings, some desolate and broken, others in decent repair. She stopped abruptly and grabbed Nils by the sleeve. "We should be very careful. Anything could be hiding, or anyone. C'mon." And she pulled him along, crouched very slow, scurrying to the side of the closest building. It had a sign that said Pharmacy, and surprisingly the door hadn't been bordered shut. "We should keep to the base of the buildings, it gives us more cover. Keep your eye out for raiders," though she knew that went without saying. After what they'd just dealt with, raiders wouldn't be far from their minds for quite a while. She shook her head, readying herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.