Fallen Grace (OOC/Sign Up) (Open)

Are You Interested?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually a little strapped for inspiration honestly. I suppose I could get the closest to a mage archetype, but all I have so far is a seer who predicted weather patterns for a wealthy plantation owner or something like that. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions for...I dunno, making a character in this setting?
Let me just make clear of a couple of things before getting into suggestions.

• The stats/skills limit we have right now is just for character creation, once the actual adventure kicks off, the caps will be raised and you'll get more chances to upgrade.
  • Though things like knowledge skills and subterfuge might seem useless, don't expect that to be the case later on. The stuff mentioned on the mechanics page are just commonly used dice rolls; expect on-the-spot stats check/rolls (ie. infiltration check when a team member is caught in a trap or natural knowledge dice roll for foraging food).
  • Seers can do much more than predict weather, read minds and find minerals. If you want to make some custom abilities, let me know in PM.
On to actual suggestions...

• A con-artist seer was something I thought of. Basically, this guy/gal would be born of a humble family and made his/her way up the social ladder with dirty tricks (scams, stealing, street beating). Now, an average Joe/Jane might be able to do this, someone with the capability of getting into people's mind can do it a lot better.
  • Everyone's characters are somewhat combat oriented, maybe you could build something based purely on crafting and knowledge. Remember, sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic; someone with deep enough knowledge might as well be a mage to everyone else.
  • Another idea would be a relic hunter. A seer with mineral detection abilities can locate ancestors' ruins and loot left over tech in those.
  • This might seem dull, but you can choose to simply be a normal, middle-class citizen of Meusing. Not every hero start off with a grim or glorious past; its what you do that matters, not what happened to you before.

Off topic: Stopwatched, 'grats on your 100th post.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
On to actual suggestions...

• A con-artist seer was something I thought of. Basically, this guy/gal would be born of a humble family and made his/her way up the social ladder with dirty tricks (scams, stealing, street beating). Now, an average Joe/Jane might be able to do this, someone with the capability of getting into people's mind can do it a lot better.
  • Everyone's characters are somewhat combat oriented, maybe you could build something based purely on crafting and knowledge. Remember, sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic; someone with deep enough knowledge might as well be a mage to everyone else.
  • Another idea would be a relic hunter. A seer with mineral detection abilities can locate ancestors' ruins and loot left over tech in those.
  • This might seem dull, but you can choose to simply be a normal, middle-class citizen of Meusing. Not every hero start off with a grim or glorious past; its what you do that matters, not what happened to you before.
I actually like a lot of these suggestions. Thanks @Glaciercold and @Stopwatched !

I usually don't play thiefs in rpgs, but hey, I can always try something new. Con-artist seems the best to me, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by going up the social ladder. I doubt you'd make many friends scamming people on a regular basis. :P

Main thing I'm trying to figure out now is what to spend the points on. Probably 1 hand to hand so he's not completely dead weight in combat (though who knows, maybe I can do some diabolical traps instead!). Thinking 2 Literacy...because I like the idea. 2 in both Knowledges. After that I'm not sure. 3 Trade might be a good idea in order to make use of some maxxed Charisma (I've noticed only one person's got more than 1). Alternatively I could stick 1 into Weapon and Armor Crafting, then 1 into Speech.

Dang it.

That does bring up a question though, how do traps work in this game? I've noticed some in the Items list, but I've found in most DnD type games that traps are useless for players. :shrug:

Reactions: Stopwatched
I actually like a lot of these suggestions. Thanks @Glaciercold and @Stopwatched !

I usually don't play thiefs in rpgs, but hey, I can always try something new. Con-artist seems the best to me, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by going up the social ladder. I doubt you'd make many friends scamming people on a regular basis. :P

Main thing I'm trying to figure out now is what to spend the points on. Probably 1 hand to hand so he's not completely dead weight in combat (though who knows, maybe I can do some diabolical traps instead!). Thinking 2 Literacy...because I like the idea. 2 in both Knowledges. After that I'm not sure. 3 Trade might be a good idea in order to make use of some maxxed Charisma (I've noticed only one person's got more than 1). Alternatively I could stick 1 into Weapon and Armor Crafting, then 1 into Speech.

Dang it.

That does bring up a question though, how do traps work in this game? I've noticed some in the Items list, but I've found in most DnD type games that traps are useless for players. :shrug:
If you do end up going thief, Concealment and Infiltration are must-haves.

Reactions: WarriorHeart
I doubt you'd make many friends scamming people on a regular basis.
Friends, enemies, frienemies; all the same. :bsmile:

how do traps work in this game?
A standard trap, depending on tier, can briefly immobilize, breaks bones or amputates legs. However, you can customize them with all the dirty tricks like poison, shooting darts, flammable etc (if your infiltration skill is sufficient for crafting). You can place them and bait the enemy into them by taunting, throwing them in tactical choke-points or distribute them to allies (team player :applause:).

However, you're not going to be the only one using them. Enemies might have traps too, but if no one in our crew have any infiltration points, our poor victims won't see them coming until their legs get detached.

Edit: I'm leaning towards female characters at this point, since 5/6 are male so far.

Friends, enemies, frienemies; all the same. :bsmile:

A standard trap, depending on tier, can briefly immobilize, breaks bones or amputates legs. However, you can customize them with all the dirty tricks like poison, shooting darts, flammable etc (if your infiltration skill is sufficient for crafting). You can place them and bait the enemy into them by taunting, throwing them in tactical choke-points or distribute them to allies (team player :applause:).

However, you're not going to be the only one using them. Enemies might have traps too, but if no one in our crew have any infiltration points, our poor victims won't see them coming until their legs get detached.

Edit: I'm leaning towards female characters at this point, since 5/6 are male so far.
I contemplated having Marlow be a woman.

Dang it.

If you're a con-artist, then charisma is a must-have. Trade would also be good, keeping with the con-artist motif, as well as speech, definitely speech. Hand-to-Hand would be good, could pass it off as he's never had to fight with a weapon because a dead man yields less money than a live one. Play to the con-artist's strengths and he'll be a useful character in his own way. Marlow will get more weapon and armor crafting along with the other combat-oriented characters to take care of the party's weapons. Don't make your character be all over the place.

so, do not stress combat prowess with your character at this point. Most in the party can handle a few thugs and we already have a healer/trader. Focus on the con-artist being charisma oriented, i.e. speech, trade and hand-to-hand, just in case, and can write it off as a non-lethal self-defense thing. Going with the character, he's probably had to hide from people who weren't too happy about being conned. So concealment would be a good idea.

After this:
Marlow will get more weapon and armor crafting along with the other combat-oriented characters to take care of the party's weapons.
And this:
Enemies might have traps too, but if no one in our crew have any infiltration points, our poor victims won't see them coming until their legs get detached.
I'm taking a point from Weapon crafting and putting it into Infiltration. Depending on what Max does, it may change a bit more later too.

I'm taking a point from Weapon crafting and putting it into Infiltration. Depending on what Max does, it may change a bit more later too.
Woah.

Stop right there, criminal scum!

Seriously though, we can't get have people swapping skill points on-the-go. I'll let it slide this time, since RP is not starting yet. To everyone else, if you're going to tweak your character's points, you better do it now; they'll be locked in once the game starts.

Of course. I'm sure we can trust them not to do it willy-nilly. We're just tweaking until the IC goes up.

Of course. I'm sure we can trust them not to do it willy-nilly. We're just tweaking until the IC goes up.
Yeah! What he said. A character that could swap skill points on the fly would be fantasticly OP, though, as he'd effectively have everything maxed at once. In fact...

I'll take one skillswap assassin aristocrat singer with dual pistols and a grenade launcher, Glacier. Make it so.

Yeah! What he said. A character that could swap skill points on the fly would be fantasticly OP, though, as he'd effectively have everything maxed at once. In fact...

I'll take one skillswap assassin aristocrat singer with dual pistols and a grenade launcher, Glacier. Make it so.

Oh, good. I thought no one was going to take that archetype.

Reactions: Stopwatched
Also, just to make it clear, by saying that Marlow was getting more points in weapon and armor crafting points, I did mean that he would be getting it in-game through leveling and training.

Also, just to make it clear, by saying that Marlow was getting more points in weapon and armor crafting points, I did mean that he would be getting it in-game through leveling and training.
Yep! I was thinking of doing some kind of blacksmith earlier that was full-on crafting, actually, but I took the privateer instead. Glad we've got a repair guy anyway.

Okay. Here's what I am thinking so far as skills go.

Stats: (8 points default, 1 point gained when completing a chapter)

Strength: (affects offense) 0/5
Reflex: (affects defense) 2/5
Endurance: (affects survivability) 1/5
Intelligence: (affects training) 2/3
Charisma: (affects trade) 3/3

Skills: (10 points default, points gained from training)

Mobility:
  • Mobility /3
Crafting:
  • Armor crafting /3
  • Weapon crafting /3
  • Medicine /3
Knowledge:
  • Natural /2
  • Social 1/2
Communication:
  • Speech 2/2
  • Literacy (no points in this category means your character is illiterate) 1/2
  • Trade 2/3
Subterfuge:
  • Concealment 2/3
  • Infiltration 2/3
Ranged weapons:
  • Crossbow /3
  • Bow and arrow /3
Melee weapons:
  • One-handed sword/axe /3
  • Dagger /3
  • Shield /3
  • Two-handed sword/axe /3
  • Polearm /3
  • Blunt weapon /3
  • Hand to hand /3
Hmm...I really want to put something into Mobility, but I'm one point short.

Okay. Here's what I am thinking so far as skills go.

Stats: (8 points default, 1 point gained when completing a chapter)

Strength: (affects offense) 0/5
Reflex: (affects defense) 2/5
Endurance: (affects survivability) 1/5
Intelligence: (affects training) 2/3
Charisma: (affects trade) 3/3

Skills: (10 points default, points gained from training)

Mobility:
  • Mobility /3
Crafting:
  • Armor crafting /3
  • Weapon crafting /3
  • Medicine /3
Knowledge:
  • Natural /2
  • Social 1/2
Communication:
  • Speech 2/2
  • Literacy (no points in this category means your character is illiterate) 1/2
  • Trade 2/3
Subterfuge:
  • Concealment 2/3
  • Infiltration 2/3
Ranged weapons:
  • Crossbow /3
  • Bow and arrow /3
Melee weapons:
  • One-handed sword/axe /3
  • Dagger /3
  • Shield /3
  • Two-handed sword/axe /3
  • Polearm /3
  • Blunt weapon /3
  • Hand to hand /3
Hmm...I really want to put something into Mobility, but I'm one point short.

I believe in an earlier post, the GM was going to allow 11 points in exchange for crappy gear...

maybe we could pull that off here?

Status
Not open for further replies.