Fallen Grace (OOC/Sign Up) (Open)

Are You Interested?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be possible to play a mercenary?

I come bearing news!

Just got my laptop back from the shop, found that the other RP's I'm in have decided to kick into full gear. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to keep up with this one, or I'd be holding everyone back. So, carry on without me.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
Ello there owo)/ This has definitely caught my interest. Now excuse me as I read the rest of the info~

How quickly will I be backstabbed if I point out Marlow's eleventh skill point?
Sorry Nosoul

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone give our neighborhood detective a cookie.

O|NoSoul, you can keep that 11th point if you de-gear.
I actually noticed when I reread the sheet. I was going to correct it but said, "tomorrow." That was a few days ago.

Edit: Aaaaaand done. Figured we already had a healer so I got rid of it until I get a chance to put it back after I'm happy with Marlow's combat progression.

Whew! About time, self. It's nearly 3 AM.

• Name: Hadrian Kesh

Appearance: Tall and muscular by Martian standards, Hadrian cuts an imposing figure among his gracile friends. His calloused hands and tanned skin reflect years of labor under the sun. Sea-blue eyes, though beginning to wrinkle from long hours squinting into the horizon, shine brightly with the pride and vigor of youth. Beneath his grimy cloth cap straggles long and greasy hair, giving him an air of uncleanliness further compounded by his ragged wardrobe and stubbly face.

IAM2Kvq.jpg

Non-point-based skills:
    • Grappling hook​
    • Swimming​
    • Fishing​
    • Sailing​
    • Navigation​
    • Large capacity for ale​
    • Mutual respect with red-striped pigeons​
    • Neon whale appreciation​
  • Personality:
    Kesh has been described as vain, narcissistic, and egotistical, but he knows what a swell guy he really is. He values himself highly and, by extension, may expect others to do so as well. Though he isn't a complete meathead, his IQ may be a bit below average, as far as Martians go. But who are you to judge? Clearly you're just jealous of him. Obviously.

Such ego has a few side effects on his interactions with others. He is, for example, extremely optimistic in his approach to life; You would be too, if you had the boundless confidence of Hadrian Kesh. He's been called perverted, too, occasionally tossing innuendos and immature puns into everyday conversation, but he's done it so often in the past that it's almost accidental at this point. All in all, he's a great guy. The best guy. Take his word for it.

History:
    Hadrian Kesh, born thirteen Darian years ago to one of the many mistresses of Dirigan Kesh, had a surprisingly happy childhood considering where he stands today. He resided on a small island off the Aeolian coast, helping his father make a lucrative living on the Martian sea. Contrary to popular belief, his father Dirigan was no criminal; Sleazy as hell, sure, but he made an honest living as a fisherman with his battered old rowboat. Young Hadrian was always enamored with the work of this man, his father. Where did the fish come from?, he'd ask. What was the best way to cram them into the dinghy? Were the fattest fish found here in Virgo or Kanya? How did one untangle and fix a broken line? Every day, Dirigan was greeted by a nonstop barrage of questions on his return.

Being the opportunist that he was, Dirigan chose to direct his son's enthusiasm at the earliest opportunity. Hadrian learned to hold a fishing rod almost before he could walk, for example. Some of his earliest memories were, in fact, mending nets with his father in their hut. He loved every second of it. Needless to say, when Dirigan finally offered Had a position fishing full-time, he jumped at the chance without even the slightest hesitation.

In this way they spent a few years; Soon enough, Hadrian rivaled his father's angling prowess. The family, though still by no means rich, earned a decent sum of rupees trading their daily bounty with the locals. This newfound wealth would come to aid them greatly. The leaking dinghy was replaced, completely rebuilt into a proper fisherman's vessel. New higher quality lines were stronger and more durable, making it easier to do what they loved for longer. It was, in all, the most prosperous time in both of their lives.

Then, on a day as normal as any other, Hadrian spotted something odd: A ship, a bigger one, coming straight towards them in the water. Dirigan laughed. "Maybe they want their order early!", he bellowed with the usual shit-eating grin. As he turned to look at their pursuer, though, it quickly turned to terror. Looking quickly between his son and the oncoming ship, the ever-present smile wavered and broke. Pirate markings, with hostile intent. What could be done? The dinky rowboat couldn't outrun those sails. They certainly couldn't fight. There was only one course of action, and it wasn't favorable at all for either of them. But there was no other way.

Drawing his son in for a final, tear-stained hug, Dirigan raised his heavy oar and knocked the boy unconscious. The last Hadrian remembered of him was a scratchy tarp, a terse farewell, and the sun vanishing from sight.

Kesh awoke to a kindly face. Not his father, of course; It was a new face, a man by the name of Jendell. Captain Jendell, to be precise, a privateer under the great Republic of Elysium. He calmly explained the situation to the young Kesh; How Syrtic pirates had attacked their dinghy under the cold evening sun. The Elysians had barely fought them off, even with Dirigan's help, but their arrival came too late. His father had been mortally wounded, right through the chest, protecting a small bundle beneath a scratchy tarp. The way the Captain told it, you'd think Dirigan sunk the whole Syrtic fleet before going down. To Hadrian it was heroic, inspiring... and heartbreaking. His whole life was gone, ripped out from under him by those barbaric, dirty Syrtians. Where could he go? What could he do?

Right there, on the spot, Captain Jendell made him an offer he couldn't refuse: A position on Jendell's ship, the Lucy, kicking Syrtic ass on a daily basis with the rest of the privateers. There was only one answer.

Hadrian stayed on with Jendell until he was 13. In that time, he fully experienced every aspect of the privateer lifestyle: Ale, combat, taverns, women, navigation, you name it. Storms were weathered, vessels scuttled, water bailed... Honestly, it's a miracle they survived at all. Kesh became quite the decent fighter during this period, often wrecking house with only a club and his comrades, and also learned the well-established merit of a grappling hook in any situation. Like his ego, his position on the Lucy continued to rise rapidly, to its climax as first mate of Jendell himself. They'd accepted him as family, it seemed, and for the first time since his father's death he truly felt satisfied in life.

...That is, of course, until Jendell let it slip. The secret.

The Captain was hammered, as usual, waving a mug broadly in the air as he recounted his bravery and cunning in past battles. "N' ONE time, I -hic- tricked that kid by that AEOOOOliaaaan stretch o' SAND. Remember that, HaDRIan?" He broke off into a fit of drunken laughter, but Kesh was now fully intent on the man before him. No, sir, not one bit. "You don't reMEMber?! BOY! I cut his ass DOWN, right THERE in his shitty little BOAT!" Laughter again. The captain leaned in, oblivious of the cold stare greeting him. "N', shhhhh. Get this. I -hic- told the KID that sum Syrtic DOGS killed his POP, n' -hic- got him to sign on as a CREEEEWmembah. WHADDA MORON!" This he roared, leaning back in his seat and downing the last of his ale. "D'ya -hic- remember his name now, BOY?"

"Yeah." With a loud CRACK, Hadrian brought his club down on Jendell's lying face. Out cold. "Hadrian Kesh, new captain of the Lucy. Sweet dreams, bastard."

Coming to terms with the seriousness of the crime, along with the near-certain mutiny he'd face back on the ship, Hadrian ran out of the tavern with whatever he could find on Jendell's person. There he was, stranded again on the Aeolian Coast, with nowhere left to go. Life was nothing if not entertaining.
  • Strength: 2/5

Reflex: 2/5

Endurance: 2/5

Intelligence: 1/3

Charisma: 1/3
  • Mobility:
    • Mobility 2/3
    Crafting:
    • Armor crafting 0/3
    • Weapon crafting 0/3
    • Medicine 0/3
    Knowledge:
    • Natural 1/2
    • Social 0/2
    Communication:
    • Speech 2/2 Taunts for days
    • Literacy 1/2
    • Trade 0/3
    Subterfuge:
    • Concealment 0/3
    • Infiltration 1/3
    Ranged weapons:
    • Crossbow 0/3
    • Bow and arrow 0/3
    Melee weapons:
    • One-handed sword/axe 0/3
    • Dagger 0/3
    • Shield 0/3
    • Two-handed sword/axe 0/3
    • Polearm 0/3
    • Blunt weapon 2/3
    • Hand to hand 1/3

• Mechanic-affecting items:
    • Weapon: Wooden club (Blunt weapon, 1/3)
    • Armor: Leather cuirass, skullcap, greaves, gloves, etc. (Light Armor, 1/3)
    • Supplies: Grappling hook, fishing supplies, rope, map, three repair kits, some dried fish, and maybe an affectionate red-striped pigeon. We'll see.
    • Cash: 101 Elysian Rupees

Fashion items:
    • Outfit: Sturdy cloth breeches, tunic, boots, cuffs, and whatever else I need to maintain decency. I reserve the right to pull a tricorn hat out of my ass in future endeavors.
    • Bags/packs/pouches: Leather satchel
    • Jewelry: Small silver earring, looted from Jendell in the tavern
    • Miscellaneous: "Neon Whales and You: The Journey", also apparently looted from Jendell in the tavern.

And, if you're interested, rambling! I find it easier to make a coherent character when I write all my thoughts down, so... Yeah. Enjoy that, rant fetishists.

*cracks knuckles*

There's a sword n'board, trader, ranger, all-rounder, and shield/spearman. Most of the archetypes are taken. Damn you, slightly faster writers! Thief's open, assassin, maybe I could finagle a Seer, perhaps a blacksmith-guy for armor/weapon repairs, crossbowman, pure hand-to-hand, privateer, and blunt guy. "Blunt guy" meaning "stoner", obviously. Get your mind into the gutter.

As for personality... Hm. I could do a character that acts a little upbeat, to balance everyone else out. Maybe. A coward foil'd be nice to have, too, but no one wants to play as that. Yeah! Alright, cheery happy guy. I like that. Might be hard to pull off, though.

An assassin would definitely be affiliated with The Bloodless. Any privateer I made would have to be involved with the neon whales. Somehow. Yeah, those are my favorite two characters. Time to develop.

The merry assassin (Juxtaposition! \o/) would fight with... Daggers, probably. Stabby, concealy, throwable daggers. He'd be leveled in concealment and infiltration, with reflex being his main stat.

The cheery privateer could probably be combined with blunt guy, fighting with a club, hammer, or similar thud weapon. Wait, cutlass? Nah. If your biggest issue with the Mars pirate is his weapon, that's on you. Leveled in nothing in particular, though I'd assume Endurance or Strength would be the main stat.

The assassin would classify as a professional criminal, so that'd require a PM. Based on whether or not the privateer would have knowledge of gunpowder, that's a PM as well. Hm. Alright! Time to flesh out these two and see what sir Glacierhold thinks of 'em.

[intermission]

And we're back! Had a very informative talk with the Winter Whale himself, and I've narrowed down what I'm going for. The assassin? Too much. Maybe later. But the privateer! Oh, boy, here we go. Privates for days. Pirates? Close enough. Gunpowder knowledge is also too much, being that the only reliable source of gunpowder comes from the ultra-secluded nation of Tharcia, so no cannons. Sadness.

Privateer! Decision made.

For personality traits... Hm. I was deciding between "Cheery and Optimistic" and "Total Pervert (a la Johnny Bravo of the seas)". The first seems to lend itself more to a female character, while the latter more male. Not to stereotype. I could make it both! Maybe. Would that work? "Hi, isn't the day lovely? The sun's shining, the birds are singing, and- Damn, your tits are huge." Maybe... No. Yes! Gah. Cheery, definitely, to balance out all the gloomy personalities of the rest. Pervert, though? Is it necessary? What will it add? It'll bring in some funny moments if I do it right. Give me more to write about, too, which is always nice. As long as I keep it tame and consistent with the rest of the character, it should be fine. Remind me not to overdo it.

Next up: Gender! Hm. Normally this isn't such a tough choice. If I'm playing a female, it may - will - get weird with the pervert thing. Unless... Bisexual female Martian pirate!? No. Over the top, that is. Just a bit.

Male cheery innuendo-producer, or female extra cheery with fries. Hmm. Tough choice. The female would probably end up with some different trope to replace pervert, such as "superstitious" or "unusual prejudice against X group of people".

[intermission]

Alright! After some deep introspection (read: sleep), I've determined that some of my ideas are a little out of place in what I assume will be a serious-ish roleplay. Playing as a male, I think, but a few of those tropes wouldn't hurt. Cheery! Yes. Pervert? Eh, maybe if you put it in a broader category or toned it down. Like, inner pervert. He's just got the voice of innuendos in his head at all times. Maybe? No. Some other RP. Being cheery and making immature jokes would make him too... Childish.

Side note: Zarbon from TFS Abridged was fantastic at this. Deadpan delivery of so many comments like that, and he never commented on them.
"Should I kill the village or let them live? Ah! Such a tough choice! I could go both ways."
(Zarbon from offscreen) "So could I!"

What were we talking about? Martian pirates? Right. Probably gonna go for "Optimistic" and "Irrational hatred of a specific group of people". We'll get to the group later. But... Gr. Screw it. You know what? I kind of wanted cheery for the other character, on the oh-so-slim chance he ever makes it in. Sleazy it is. On the other hand, though, making that part of his personality would require some form of romance in his backstory, which I'm not particularly inclined to do. So, uh, hm. Seems we've reached an impasse. Random time. Odd sleaze, even cheery, best two of three.

The numbers were 47, 93, and 55. Sleaze it is.

Character so far: Male privateer ladykiller with an irrational hatred towards a specific group of people. Flawless.

Next up: Who's he work for? Where's he from? Is he captain? First mate? Common sailor? Slave, even? What's his goal in life?

In order: His best shots at employment would be the seafaring nations of Elysium and Syrtis. Consequently he should be from somewhere in that area. Perhaps he was taken captive by one and rescued by the other, leading to his life as a sailor for the rescuer? Ay! That's a start. Captain of his own ship would be a bit much, especially if it's a bigger boat. Is it a bigger boat? Glacier said that bigger boats are rarer to come by, but they are funded by the government, so... Mediumish size ship. I'll have to read up. Hang on.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_ships

Majority of ships were powered by oars or sails. A caravel could accommodate about 20 sailors, survey says. Too big? Hm. It's the best I can find. Small, fast, light, etc. Good enough.

Goal in life should be obvious. How could I make a seafaring character, in a world of Neon Whales, not be interested in the pursuit of said technicolor giant fish? His dream shall be to find, and possibly kill, one of the mythical beasts.

Now then, quick outline of his life story. I need to account for his induction into privateering, the caravel, the neon whale, the irrational hatred of some group of people, and his type of blunt weapon. Perfect! This should be fun.

Uh, Syrtis has the more "proper" navy, so it looks like Elysium's the employer. How did he get into it? Let's say he was... A trader. Wait, no. Smuggler? Gr. Fisherman? No, wait, okay. He was captured by X, X took him out to sea, Elysian privateer saved him, recruited into privateer's service and served there for a while, then ship sank and he washed up in Syrtis. Good! Maybe. Irrational people hate needs some work, though. Who would have captured him? What would they have wanted? Slave labor, maybe? Was he part of the Syrtian royal navy? Were they his captors? Dunno why I'm framing all these as questions, as I'm the one answering them, but still. That'd lead to a hatred of the Syrtians. Maybe too broad of a group. Why would they capture him, though? Let's say... He couldn't pay some loans? No, wait. He was captured from some island by the Syrtics, served as a slave for a while, re-captured and recruited by the Elysians, served there for a while, then the ship was destroyed and/or he was kicked out of it, leaving him stranded somewhere in the Syrtic or Dao region. Good. I think. Yeah, good. Where did he orginally come from, though? There aren't many small islands specified. Is there any other reason he'd be a slave in a Syrtic galley?

...No, scratch the beginning part of his story. He shouldn't have been captured by an entity as nebulous as a whole nation. Maybe, like, one guy. Make it his father. Aha! Character depth, bitches. Were they on good terms? If they were, the Elysian privateer couldn't kill the father and expect him to join afterwards. Unless... Ooh. Alright. Hear me out, brain. Happy father-son relationship, probably as fishermen or some shit. Then, somehow, the Elysian privateer kills the father and recruits the boy without the boy knowing that the privateer killed his father. That was not an eloquent sentence. Moving on. He thinks his father was... Lost in a storm? Killed by someone else, maybe? Hm. Father supposedly swallowed by neon whale. Glorious. No, wait, alright. The captain tells the boy that Syrtians killed his father, which motivates him to serve the captain loyally until he finds out the truth and leaves. Aha! Good. Maybe he was asleep when it happened? No, he'd wake the hell up. Uh. Knocked unconcious? Yeah. By who? His father, to protect him? How would that work? Like "Ah, spare my kid, I'll knock him out." Yeah, that might work. Alright! Good. He hates the Syrtians for most of his life, I guess, but sort of forgives them when he finds the truth. Yeah. Good. Maybe.

Does that backstory really fit the personality? He won't have anyone left to hate. ._. Whatever. Going for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew! About time, self. It's nearly 3 AM.

• Name: Hadrian Kesh

Appearance: Tall and muscular by Martian standards, Hadrian cuts an imposing figure among his gracile friends. His calloused hands and tanned skin reflect years of labor under the sun. Sea-blue eyes, though beginning to wrinkle from long hours squinting into the horizon, shine brightly with the pride and vigor of youth. Beneath his grimy cloth cap straggles long and greasy hair, giving him an air of uncleanliness further compounded by his ragged wardrobe and stubbly face.

IAM2Kvq.jpg

Non-point-based skills:
    • Grappling hook​
    • Swimming​
    • Fishing​
    • Sailing​
    • Navigation​
    • Large capacity for ale​
    • Mutual respect with red-striped pigeons​
    • Neon whale appreciation​
  • Personality:
    Kesh has been described as vain, narcissistic, and egotistical, but he knows what a swell guy he really is. He values himself highly and, by extension, may expect others to do so as well. Though he isn't a complete meathead, his IQ may be a bit below average, as far as Martians go. But who are you to judge? Clearly you're just jealous of him. Obviously.

Such ego has a few side effects on his interactions with others. He is, for example, extremely optimistic in his approach to life; You would be too, if you had the boundless confidence of Hadrian Kesh. He's been called perverted, too, occasionally tossing innuendos and immature puns into everyday conversation, but he's done it so often in the past that it's almost accidental at this point. All in all, he's a great guy. The best guy. Take his word for it.

History:
    Hadrian Kesh, born thirteen Darian years ago to one of the many mistresses of Dirigan Kesh, had a surprisingly happy childhood considering where he stands today. He resided on a small island off the Aeolian coast, helping his father make a lucrative living on the Martian sea. Contrary to popular belief, his father Dirigan was no criminal; Sleazy as hell, sure, but he made an honest living as a fisherman with his battered old rowboat. Young Hadrian was always enamored with the work of this man, his father. Where did the fish come from?, he'd ask. What was the best way to cram them into the dinghy? Were the fattest fish found here in Virgo or Kanya? How did one untangle and fix a broken line? Every day, Dirigan was greeted by a nonstop barrage of questions on his return.

Being the opportunist that he was, Dirigan chose to direct his son's enthusiasm at the earliest opportunity. Hadrian learned to hold a fishing rod almost before he could walk, for example. Some of his earliest memories were, in fact, mending nets with his father in their hut. He loved every second of it. Needless to say, when Dirigan finally offered Had a position fishing full-time, he jumped at the chance without even the slightest hesitation.

In this way they spent a few years; Soon enough, Hadrian rivaled his father's angling prowess. The family, though still by no means rich, earned a decent sum of rupees trading their daily bounty with the locals. This newfound wealth would come to aid them greatly. The leaking dinghy was replaced, completely rebuilt into a proper fisherman's vessel. New higher quality lines were stronger and more durable, making it easier to do what they loved for longer. It was, in all, the most prosperous time in both of their lives.

Then, on a day as normal as any other, Hadrian spotted something odd: A ship, a bigger one, coming straight towards them in the water. Dirigan laughed. "Maybe they want their order early!", he bellowed with the usual shit-eating grin. As he turned to look at their pursuer, though, it quickly turned to terror. Looking quickly between his son and the oncoming ship, the ever-present smile wavered and broke. Pirate markings, with hostile intent. What could be done? The dinky rowboat couldn't outrun those sails. They certainly couldn't fight. There was only one course of action, and it wasn't favorable at all for either of them. But there was no other way.

Drawing his son in for a final, tear-stained hug, Dirigan raised his heavy oar and knocked the boy unconscious. The last Hadrian remembered of him was a scratchy tarp, a terse farewell, and the sun vanishing from sight.

Kesh awoke to a kindly face. Not his father, of course; It was a new face, a man by the name of Jendell. Captain Jendell, to be precise, a privateer under the great Republic of Elysium. He calmly explained the situation to the young Kesh; How Syrtic pirates had attacked their dinghy under the cold evening sun. The Elysians had barely fought them off, even with Dirigan's help, but their arrival came too late. His father had been mortally wounded, right through the chest, protecting a small bundle beneath a scratchy tarp. The way the Captain told it, you'd think Dirigan sunk the whole Syrtic fleet before going down. To Hadrian it was heroic, inspiring... and heartbreaking. His whole life was gone, ripped out from under him by those barbaric, dirty Syrtians. Where could he go? What could he do?

Right there, on the spot, Captain Jendell made him an offer he couldn't refuse: A position on Jendell's ship, the Lucy, kicking Syrtic ass on a daily basis with the rest of the privateers. There was only one answer.

Hadrian stayed on with Jendell until he was 13. In that time, he fully experienced every aspect of the privateer lifestyle: Ale, combat, taverns, women, navigation, you name it. Storms were weathered, vessels scuttled, water bailed... Honestly, it's a miracle they survived at all. Kesh became quite the decent fighter during this period, often wrecking house with only a club and his comrades, and also learned the well-established merit of a grappling hook in any situation. Like his ego, his position on the Lucy continued to rise rapidly, to its climax as first mate of Jendell himself. They'd accepted him as family, it seemed, and for the first time since his father's death he truly felt satisfied in life.

...That is, of course, until Jendell let it slip. The secret.

The Captain was hammered, as usual, waving a mug broadly in the air as he recounted his bravery and cunning in past battles. "N' ONE time, I -hic- tricked that kid by that AEOOOOliaaaan stretch o' SAND. Remember that, HaDRIan?" He broke off into a fit of drunken laughter, but Kesh was now fully intent on the man before him. No, sir, not one bit. "You don't reMEMber?! BOY! I cut his ass DOWN, right THERE in his shitty little BOAT!" Laughter again. The captain leaned in, oblivious of the cold stare greeting him. "N', shhhhh. Get this. I -hic- told the KID that sum Syrtic DOGS killed his POP, n' -hic- got him to sign on as a CREEEEWmembah. WHADDA MORON!" This he roared, leaning back in his seat and downing the last of his ale. "D'ya -hic- remember his name now, BOY?"

"Yeah." With a loud CRACK, Hadrian brought his club down on Jendell's lying face. Out cold. "Hadrian Kesh, new captain of the Lucy. Sweet dreams, bastard."

Coming to terms with the seriousness of the crime, along with the near-certain mutiny he'd face back on the ship, Hadrian ran out of the tavern with whatever he could find on Jendell's person. There he was, stranded again on the Aeolian Coast, with nowhere left to go. Life was nothing if not entertaining.
  • Strength: 2/5

Reflex: 2/5

Endurance: 2/5

Intelligence: 1/3

Charisma: 1/3
  • Mobility:
    • Mobility 1/3
    Crafting:
    • Armor crafting 1/3
    • Weapon crafting 1/3
    • Medicine 0/3
    Knowledge:
    • Natural 0/2
    • Social 0/2
    Communication:
    • Speech 2/2 Taunts for days
    • Literacy 1/2
    • Trade 1/3
    Subterfuge:
    • Concealment 0/3
    • Infiltration 0/3
    Ranged weapons:
    • Crossbow 0/3
    • Bow and arrow 0/3
    Melee weapons:
    • One-handed sword/axe 0/3
    • Dagger 0/3
    • Shield 0/3
    • Two-handed sword/axe 0/3
    • Polearm 0/3
    • Blunt weapon 2/3
    • Hand to hand 1/3

• Mechanic-affecting items:
    • Weapon: Wooden club (Blunt weapon) (1/3)
    • Armor: Leather cuirass, skullcap, greaves, gloves, etc. (Light Armor, 1/3)
    • Supplies: Grappling hook, fishing supplies, rope, map, three repair kits, some dried fish, and maybe an affectionate red-striped pigeon. We'll see.
    • Cash: 101 Elysian Rupees

Fashion items:
    • Outfit: Sturdy cloth breeches, tunic, boots, cuffs, and whatever else I need to maintain decency. I reserve the right to pull a tricorn hat out of my ass in future endeavors.
    • Bags/packs/pouches: Leather satchel
    • Jewelry: Small silver earring, looted from Jendell in the tavern
    • Miscellaneous: "Neon Whales and You: The Journey", also apparently looted from Jendell in the tavern.

And, if you're interested, rambling! I find it easier to make a coherent character when I write all my thoughts down, so... Yeah. Enjoy that, rant fetishists.

*cracks knuckles*

There's a sword n'board, trader, ranger, all-rounder, and shield/spearman. Most of the archetypes are taken. Damn you, slightly faster writers! Thief's open, assassin, maybe I could finagle a Seer, perhaps a blacksmith-guy for armor/weapon repairs, crossbowman, pure hand-to-hand, privateer, and blunt guy. "Blunt guy" meaning "stoner", obviously. Get your mind into the gutter.

As for personality... Hm. I could do a character that acts a little upbeat, to balance everyone else out. Maybe. A coward foil'd be nice to have, too, but no one wants to play as that. Yeah! Alright, cheery happy guy. I like that. Might be hard to pull off, though.

An assassin would definitely be affiliated with The Bloodless. Any privateer I made would have to be involved with the neon whales. Somehow. Yeah, those are my favorite two characters. Time to develop.

The merry assassin (Juxtaposition! \o/) would fight with... Daggers, probably. Stabby, concealy, throwable daggers. He'd be leveled in concealment and infiltration, with reflex being his main stat.

The cheery privateer could probably be combined with blunt guy, fighting with a club, hammer, or similar thud weapon. Wait, cutlass? Nah. If your biggest issue with the Mars pirate is his weapon, that's on you. Leveled in nothing in particular, though I'd assume Endurance or Strength would be the main stat.

The assassin would classify as a professional criminal, so that'd require a PM. Based on whether or not the privateer would have knowledge of gunpowder, that's a PM as well. Hm. Alright! Time to flesh out these two and see what sir Glacierhold thinks of 'em.

[intermission]

And we're back! Had a very informative talk with the Winter Whale himself, and I've narrowed down what I'm going for. The assassin? Too much. Maybe later. But the privateer! Oh, boy, here we go. Privates for days. Pirates? Close enough. Gunpowder knowledge is also too much, being that the only reliable source of gunpowder comes from the ultra-secluded nation of Tharcia, so no cannons. Sadness.

Privateer! Decision made.

For personality traits... Hm. I was deciding between "Cheery and Optimistic" and "Total Pervert (a la Johnny Bravo of the seas)". The first seems to lend itself more to a female character, while the latter more male. Not to stereotype. I could make it both! Maybe. Would that work? "Hi, isn't the day lovely? The sun's shining, the birds are singing, and- Damn, your tits are huge." Maybe... No. Yes! Gah. Cheery, definitely, to balance out all the gloomy personalities of the rest. Pervert, though? Is it necessary? What will it add? It'll bring in some funny moments if I do it right. Give me more to write about, too, which is always nice. As long as I keep it tame and consistent with the rest of the character, it should be fine. Remind me not to overdo it.

Next up: Gender! Hm. Normally this isn't such a tough choice. If I'm playing a female, it may - will - get weird with the pervert thing. Unless... Bisexual female Martian pirate!? No. Over the top, that is. Just a bit.

Male cheery innuendo-producer, or female extra cheery with fries. Hmm. Tough choice. The female would probably end up with some different trope to replace pervert, such as "superstitious" or "unusual prejudice against X group of people".

[intermission]

Alright! After some deep introspection (read: sleep), I've determined that some of my ideas are a little out of place in what I assume will be a serious-ish roleplay. Playing as a male, I think, but a few of those tropes wouldn't hurt. Cheery! Yes. Pervert? Eh, maybe if you put it in a broader category or toned it down. Like, inner pervert. He's just got the voice of innuendos in his head at all times. Maybe? No. Some other RP. Being cheery and making immature jokes would make him too... Childish.

Side note: Zarbon from TFS Abridged was fantastic at this. Deadpan delivery of so many comments like that, and he never commented on them.
"Should I kill the village or let them live? Ah! Such a tough choice! I could go both ways."
(Zarbon from offscreen) "So could I!"

What were we talking about? Martian pirates? Right. Probably gonna go for "Optimistic" and "Irrational hatred of a specific group of people". We'll get to the group later. But... Gr. Screw it. You know what? I kind of wanted cheery for the other character, on the oh-so-slim chance he ever makes it in. Sleazy it is. On the other hand, though, making that part of his personality would require some form of romance in his backstory, which I'm not particularly inclined to do. So, uh, hm. Seems we've reached an impasse. Random time. Odd sleaze, even cheery, best two of three.

The numbers were 47, 93, and 55. Sleaze it is.

Character so far: Male privateer ladykiller with an irrational hatred towards a specific group of people. Flawless.

Next up: Who's he work for? Where's he from? Is he captain? First mate? Common sailor? Slave, even? What's his goal in life?

In order: His best shots at employment would be the seafaring nations of Elysium and Syrtis. Consequently he should be from somewhere in that area. Perhaps he was taken captive by one and rescued by the other, leading to his life as a sailor for the rescuer? Ay! That's a start. Captain of his own ship would be a bit much, especially if it's a bigger boat. Is it a bigger boat? Glacier said that bigger boats are rarer to come by, but they are funded by the government, so... Mediumish size ship. I'll have to read up. Hang on.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_ships

Majority of ships were powered by oars or sails. A caravel could accommodate about 20 sailors, survey says. Too big? Hm. It's the best I can find. Small, fast, light, etc. Good enough.

Goal in life should be obvious. How could I make a seafaring character, in a world of Neon Whales, not be interested in the pursuit of said technicolor giant fish? His dream shall be to find, and possibly kill, one of the mythical beasts.

Now then, quick outline of his life story. I need to account for his induction into privateering, the caravel, the neon whale, the irrational hatred of some group of people, and his type of blunt weapon. Perfect! This should be fun.

Uh, Syrtis has the more "proper" navy, so it looks like Elysium's the employer. How did he get into it? Let's say he was... A trader. Wait, no. Smuggler? Gr. Fisherman? No, wait, okay. He was captured by X, X took him out to sea, Elysian privateer saved him, recruited into privateer's service and served there for a while, then ship sank and he washed up in Syrtis. Good! Maybe. Irrational people hate needs some work, though. Who would have captured him? What would they have wanted? Slave labor, maybe? Was he part of the Syrtian royal navy? Were they his captors? Dunno why I'm framing all these as questions, as I'm the one answering them, but still. That'd lead to a hatred of the Syrtians. Maybe too broad of a group. Why would they capture him, though? Let's say... He couldn't pay some loans? No, wait. He was captured from some island by the Syrtics, served as a slave for a while, re-captured and recruited by the Elysians, served there for a while, then the ship was destroyed and/or he was kicked out of it, leaving him stranded somewhere in the Syrtic or Dao region. Good. I think. Yeah, good. Where did he orginally come from, though? There aren't many small islands specified. Is there any other reason he'd be a slave in a Syrtic galley?

...No, scratch the beginning part of his story. He shouldn't have been captured by an entity as nebulous as a whole nation. Maybe, like, one guy. Make it his father. Aha! Character depth, bitches. Were they on good terms? If they were, the Elysian privateer couldn't kill the father and expect him to join afterwards. Unless... Ooh. Alright. Hear me out, brain. Happy father-son relationship, probably as fishermen or some shit. Then, somehow, the Elysian privateer kills the father and recruits the boy without the boy knowing that the privateer killed his father. That was not an eloquent sentence. Moving on. He thinks his father was... Lost in a storm? Killed by someone else, maybe? Hm. Father supposedly swallowed by neon whale. Glorious. No, wait, alright. The captain tells the boy that Syrtians killed his father, which motivates him to serve the captain loyally until he finds out the truth and leaves. Aha! Good. Maybe he was asleep when it happened? No, he'd wake the hell up. Uh. Knocked unconcious? Yeah. By who? His father, to protect him? How would that work? Like "Ah, spare my kid, I'll knock him out." Yeah, that might work. Alright! Good. He hates the Syrtians for most of his life, I guess, but sort of forgives them when he finds the truth. Yeah. Good. Maybe.

Does that backstory really fit the personality? He won't have anyone left to hate. ._. Whatever. Going for it.
You had me at Johnny Bravo of the Seas.

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
Hadrian Kesh
Dude, this is totally awesome. :cake:

Now, the booty for captain Kesh.

approved.jpg

Edit: Alright, looks like we finally have six would-be adventurers. Which means the journey will soon begin.

@Maxim and @Kal., you guys currently have 2 reserved spots; do you still need more time or are you ok with starting right now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Stopwatched
Has anyone else not been getting notifications? I'm somewhat new to Iwaku (I joined last year, but I only recently started using it), is this normal for watched threads to not give you notifications?

Has anyone else not been getting notifications? I'm somewhat new to Iwaku (I joined last year, but I only recently started using it), is this normal for watched threads to not give you notifications?
If you get an alert from a thread and fail to check it, Xenforo will stop notifying you of that thread until you check back and read all the new messages.

That's how it works on FTB forums, at least. I'd assume it's the same deal here.

If you get an alert from a thread and fail to check it, Xenforo will stop notifying you of that thread until you check back and read all the new messages.

That's how it works on FTB forums, at least. I'd assume it's the same deal here.
That would certainly explain a lot. Thanks.

Reactions: Stopwatched
Our crew is growing quite nicely... I wonder if we could convince our privateer to adjust his skills to accommodate theft...

Our crew is growing quite nicely... I wonder if we could convince our privateer to adjust his skills to accommodate theft...
Stealth was such an easy grab! Like, the only major archetype left! I figured the other 4 people interested (at the time I started) would all be making thieves and ninjas and the like, so I took an all-rounder to avoid stepping on toes. Maybe I chose poorly.

I'll wait to see what @Maxim and @Kal. do. I'm pretty happy with the loadout I've got now, but I'll switch it around if we're in desperate need of a sneak.

I toyed with a thief... I love my rogues but being I lack familiarity with dice-based systems, I wanted to do something a bit more straight forward.

Stealth was such an easy grab! Like, the only major archetype left! I figured the other 4 people interested (at the time I started) would all be making thieves and ninjas and the like, so I took an all-rounder to avoid stepping on toes. Maybe I chose poorly.

I'll wait to see what @Maxim and @Kal. do. I'm pretty happy with the loadout I've got now, but I'll switch it around if we're in desperate need of a sneak.
I'm actually a little strapped for inspiration honestly. I suppose I could get the closest to a mage archetype, but all I have so far is a seer who predicted weather patterns for a wealthy plantation owner or something like that. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions for...I dunno, making a character in this setting?

I'm actually a little strapped for inspiration honestly. I suppose I could get the closest to a mage archetype, but all I have so far is a seer who predicted weather patterns for a wealthy plantation owner or something like that. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions for...I dunno, making a character in this setting?
This is why I write thoughts down as they come to me. :P

Start from the beginning: Seers predict the future, most commonly by forecasting the weather, finding minerals, or reading minds. You've mentioned the weather one, so that's one thing down. Where's the plantation (from the map)? Was he born there? If not, how did he end up there? Any relations there (Mother, father, son, sibling, etc.)? Is he a slave or a free man? Wealthy? Poor? Well-respected by those around him? Tragedy's pretty common in backstories. Perhaps the plantation burns down? If you're a slave, you're auctioned off to another place with a crueler master?

Honestly, the meteorlogy doesn't seem to have much practical application outside of earning money. Reading minds would be cool. So would the mineral one, though again I'm not sure where that would come in handy. "Hey, guys! There's a deposit of iron fifty feet down!" "Thanks for the update, Max."

Even though it's somewhat of a jump, you may have better luck making the thief. Oh! Por que no los dos? Seer that uses his power, whatever it may be, for thievery. The mineral power would really come in handy there, as would reading minds. You could invest in concealment and infiltration for skills, reflex or intelligence for stats, etc. It'd be great. Yeah. Probably.

TL;DR Consider making your Seer a thief. It'll give you more to write about and fill a void in the party.

Reactions: Maxim
If you have a mind to play a thief/street urchin or something, I can help you with the stats and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.