Fallen Grace (OOC/Sign Up) (Open)

Are You Interested?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning on overhearing the conversation and offering my services so the fort works for me.

Reactions: Stopwatched
The Necromancy League accepts body donations for....relieving food shortages. :raven:
SOYLENT GREEN

Also, post incoming. Look out, errbody.

OH GOD IM THROWING DICE WHAT THE FUCK I AM NOT GOOD AT THIS

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still around, you lot. I've had a hard time picking out a particular concept to focus on, given the party make up.

However! I think I've settled on a concept related to the so-called ''Sisters of Steel'', a bit of a concept taken from Dungeons and Dragons, from a few interesting addition to the core rules.

Basically - the idea boils down to a warrior-smith that pours their heart and soul into their crafts. The stipulation being that the weapons and armor they make seem tailor-made for a specific person, more so than any regular artisan could create. That isn't to say that any weapon they make will burst into flame, or that a breastplate they forged will stop bullets.

But somehow, a weapon made with a calm, collected warrior in mind would feel unwieldy and uncomfortable in the hands of a berserking savage.
And a suit of armor crafted to guard from betrayal, would stop a treacherous dagger a hair's breadth from the wearer's heart.

Essentially, a very subtle and often unnoticeable boon of specific ''purpose'' to specially crafted items that only function if wielded by the right person, or facing the right opponent.

In terms of game mechanics, consider that anti-assassin armor from before.

Let's say that it's a Tier 2 suit of heavy armor. As such it'd add a 4 point bonus to injury rolls. But for the specific case of being stabbed in the back, it somehow functions as a Tier 3 armor. You could call it magic, dumb luck, faith, or maybe there's a specific technique to forging it that made it as wondrous as it is, but the blacksmith prefers to pass it off as mysticism for the sense of mystery.

So! Would that kind of idea (perhaps with some changes) fit into the setting?

Reactions: WarriorHeart
SOYLENT GREEN
IS PEOPLE!!!

I'm still around, you lot. I've had a hard time picking out a particular concept to focus on, given the party make up.
We had a pretty balanced group of seven, however, our "medic" disappeared two weeks ago. If you want, you can just take over that character.

So! Would that kind of idea (perhaps with some changes) fit into the setting?
This is actually a very cool and unique idea, I wouldn't have problems in general. But, let's talk about some specific issues.

In terms of game mechanics, consider that anti-assassin armor from before.

Let's say that it's a Tier 2 suit of heavy armor. As such it'd add a 4 point bonus to injury rolls. But for the specific case of being stabbed in the back, it somehow functions as a Tier 3 armor. You could call it magic, dumb luck, faith, or maybe there's a specific technique to forging it that made it as wondrous as it is, but the blacksmith prefers to pass it off as mysticism for the sense of mystery.
Assassinations (done with daggers or ranged weapons on unaware targets), ignores armor. This applies to both the enemies and playable characters. However, every piece of equipment can be modified to have special properties, which can include adding armor bonus against assassinations.

As for how it works exactly, its actually pretty simple. No armor is perfect, so an assassin operates by exploiting these weaknesses. The fortified armor might simply be better constructed so its harder to target weak points.

Basically - the idea boils down to a warrior-smith that pours their heart and soul into their crafts. The stipulation being that the weapons and armor they make seem tailor-made for a specific person, more so than any regular artisan could create. That isn't to say that any weapon they make will burst into flame, or that a breastplate they forged will stop bullets.

But somehow, a weapon made with a calm, collected warrior in mind would feel unwieldy and uncomfortable in the hands of a berserking savage. And a suit of armor crafted to guard from betrayal, would stop a treacherous dagger a hair's breadth from the wearer's heart.
Very poetic, but...

That isn't to say that any weapon they make will burst into flame, or that a breastplate they forged will stop bullets.
...you never know.

So in the end, its up to you to choose what you want to play. Either adopt our poor, negelected Celeste or build your own smith.

So in the end, its up to you to choose what you want to play. Either adopt our poor, negelected Celeste or build your own smith.
You can also make your own medic, Fire, if the soul smith doesn't work out to your liking.

Speaking of which... Glacier! What happens if a medic doesn't appear in time for the mission? Do we get an NPC? A second character? A headstone?

You can also make your own medic, Fire, if the soul smith doesn't work out to your liking.

Speaking of which... Glacier! What happens if a medic doesn't appear in time for the mission? Do we get an NPC? A second character? A headstone?
You get this guy. :raven:

But yeah, you can expect NPC backup (which might include doctors) in more complicated missions later on.

...Any chance we find Bandit MD in the fort?
Maybe, but you need to think about couple of other things first, before getting checkups from Dr.Highwayman.

1. You need to convince him, with cash, speech, charisma or all of them.
  2. You need to make sure his buddies agree, I'll let you draw up the plans here.

I'm making progress on my CS, and so far, I'm quite pleased with how it's all turning out, though I do have some concerns, now that I've done some imaginary test battles on my own.

I'd be very grateful if we could go over the combat system in detail, in real-time in the chat. From my observations so far, mathematically - it's plain and simply a bad decision to go for heavy weapons and armor. They just seem very weak, compared to the alternatives.

• Name: Laharil Alumar

Appearance:

A fair young woman clad in versatile, functional clothing, typically adorned with armor that seems specifically tailor-made. One might think her a wealthy individual of high stock, given the quality of her arms and armor, perhaps confused for a wandering knight of sorts.

Beneath the well-worn apparel is a statuesque figure of corded, wiry muscle - sporting the old, faded scars one would expect to collect over years of fighting experience. Her hands in particular are heavily calloused - the sign of an individual who is more than used to intense physical labour. There is steel behind those blue eyes of hers - passion and idealism, once naive, but tempered in the fires of a harsh world.

lady_of_the_knight_by_nathanparkart-d733esj.jpg

• Personality: As complex as human beings are, they often show tendencies toward certain traits they favor. In Laharil, the duality of fierce determination and calm, collected compassion often make her manner seem jarring. An idealist at heart, but far from a fool, Laharil believes in carving out something good of a world that is so mired in suffering and misfortune. Ambition is the fuel of great achievements, but humanity need not be the price of success.

Kindness too, must be tempered by wisdom, for there are many who would abuse virtuous gestures to their own ends. Live by high and noble ideals, but keep your wits about you, for just like red-hot steel, fortune also changes its shape more favorably to those who know how much force to strike with, and where.

Such are the tenets by which Laharil leads her life. Hers is a humble ambition, her own forge, her own apprentices. A better life. Oh, how many winding turns such a simple path can take.

Background: Surely, it would suit you better to ask her in person, where she comes from and where she is going. By the look of her, however, one might hazard a guess that she is a westerner. A nirgali - what might she be doing so far-removed from her homeland?

Most importantly - she seems to be no stranger to the Dao regency, as she seems familiar with local custom and law. Clearly she's been living within the walls of Meusing for a short while,. Clearly, her talent in the forge has earned her a position of assistance with one of the local blacksmiths.

• Statistics:

Strength 2/5 - For those constantly tested by fate, physical prowess lessens the weight of the world.
    Reflex 1/5 - At times one must choose to be the steadfast stone, or the current that weaves around it.
    Endurance 2/5 - It takes a staunchness of both body and spirit, to withstand the trials of life.
    Intelligence 3/3 - A keen, sharp mind. Such a shame that it was denied the calmness of scholarly life. Still - well-suited to the brutal science of survival.
    Charisma -/3 - Some weave words like silver - and can stir the hearts of others with ease. Some are content with knowing their own hearts.

Skills:

Armor Crafting: 3/3 - Shaped metal and hardened leather. The ramparts of the flesh.
    Weapon Crafting: 3/3 - There is a song to every hammer-blow, and it shapes steel to singular purpose.
    Literacy: 1/2 - A shame that so many secrets are set in stone and ink.
    Two-handed Weapons: 3/3 - A mighty blade, unwieldy in the wrong hands, it dances nimbly in the grasp of a warrior.

Non-skill-based abilities:

Blacksmithing - Tools, utensils, simple things that make life easier in many ways.

Carpentry - Fashionable or functional, there are many ways to shape wood to one's needs.

Appraisal - If it was made by an artisan's hands, Laharil can hazard an educated guess at its value and quality. Many a peddler have tried and failed to pull a fast one on her.

Accounting - Practicing a blacksmith's trade requires a keen knowledge of what resources one needs, and how much they will cost.

Sleight of Hand - Forging anything from armor to tools requires a lot of time and a lot of patience, in the long hours between the intensive processes of her work, Laharil has taught herself to juggle hammers, and perform card tricks to pass the time.

• Weapons:

- Nimble Greatblade:
    Medieval_Knight_Crusader_Great_Sword_1.jpg

A large weapon, intended for the hands of a swordsman both skilled and powerful. While great care has been shown to the weapon, years of use have worn away at its shape. The marks of tense combat linger, still. (Tier 1/3 Two-handed Sword)

Armor:

Field Plate: Articulated plates and a sturdy breastplate frame a functional suit of armor, typically the sort you'd find a warrior used to travel wearing. Perhaps a mercenary's kit? The sturdy leather boots, trousers and tough long-gloves that accompany the steel have all seen a great many miles. Still, their owner's taken great care to preserve their condition. (Tier 1/3 Heavy Armor)

Supplies:

A set of hammers of different sizes.
    Tongs.
    Pliers.
    Sharpening stones of differing sizes and roughness.

181 Daonese Pounds (130 of which are stashed in her home)

Finished, for all intents and purposes! You might've guessed at my strategy as-is, I'm hoping to get a lot of Training done, be it in practice or through tomes of knowledge.

But before Laharil seeks out mastery in other fields...

Bring me steel - and I shall craft you wonders unparalleled.

Reactions: Glaciercold
I'm making progress on my CS, and so far, I'm quite pleased with how it's all turning out, though I do have some concerns, now that I've done some imaginary test battles on my own.

I'd be very grateful if we could go over the combat system in detail, in real-time in the chat. From my observations so far, mathematically - it's plain and simply a bad decision to go for heavy weapons and armor. They just seem very weak, compared to the alternatives.
Let's talk about it 12 hours from now. In the meantime, I won't be near the computer.

Edit 2: Firewombat and I have decided to amend armor and injury. Critical roll (1 or 10) is now present when rolling between light and heavy injuries. Critical failure (1) will make our brutal set of damages even worse, while critical success (10) negates damage completely. Light armor must be used to enable positive critical and heavy armor will remove the negative.

Last edited:
Prepare for a long post about mechanics!
[tabs][/tabs]
[tabs]

[tab=Part 1: Initiative]

There's another suggestion that I mulled over making, but I wanted to actually roll some test-battles and get some results before I made it.

What I strongly feel we need - is an initiative system.

As it stands, if all opponents in a fight end up acting simultaneously (what the system in place is right now), injuries just start piling up far too quickly, and everyone ends up dying. It's really a key mechanic of any turn-based, dice-based combat system. It allows for some strategic planning and eliminates a great deal of reliance on pure luck.

Essentially, what initiative allows is the players to plan ahead, rather than let random numbers dictate everything.

So, what I propose is an Initiative roll.

How it would work is a d10 roll, modified by Reflex and Mobility. I'll provide an example:

Bob and Joe are about to duke it out

Bob has Reflex 2 and Joe has Reflex 2
Bob has no ranks in mobility and Joe has Mobility 1

They roll for initiative!

Bob rolls a 5 and adds 2 to the roll from Reflex. So his initiative is 7
Joe also rolls a 5 and adds 2 from Reflex, but also an extra 1 from Mobility. His initiative is 8.

Since his initiative is higher, Joe will perform actions in this engagement faster (read: first), then Bob will have his turn to act. In the case of a tie, the character with higher Reflex goes first. If their reflex scores are also tied, Mobility is the decisive stat. If Mobility is -also- tied, then in this case alone, do they act simultaneously.

What this allows Joe to do is move and perform the Attack action before Bob. When they engage in combat, Joe will get to attack first. Bob can defend against this attack, of course, but if it inflicts heavy injuries or outright kills him, Bob's attack will be far-less effective, or he won't be able to attack at all.[/tab]

[tab=Part 2: Injury]

As it stands, Injuries have very serious effects that might very well decide the outcome of a fight if even one of them is inflicted. Even a character with an Endurance score of 5 would be slain easily, if they sustained the right kind of injury. It also makes Medicine more important than any Weapon Skill for combat.

And although it'd be difficult to inflict a Heavy Injury on such a character in one attack, the second Light Injury they sustain would be enough to cripple them. Some examples of injuries that are far-too crippling for their intended purpose, and only serve to take a character out of the fight, keep in mind that there is literally a minimum 10% chance of suffering these effects, and only in very fortunate situations would it ever be lowered that much:

Broken Arm: A character with a broken arm cannot use their weapons - thus they are far less effective in combat - and as such, are easily slain.

Deep Laceration: Giving a character a Death Timer only serves to take away control from the players.

Concussion: Once again, being knocked out can happen, but Heavy Injuries are not rare occurences, the way the numbers pan out. It will happen far too often.

Punctured Lung: Lowers Endurance score to 0. Essentially this means instant death.

Burning: Essentially the same as Bleeding.

Panic: Far too powerful, considering it cannot be resisted.

Misfire: Essentially a different version of Broken Arm.

Now, some Heavy Injuries that are well-designed, because they are still hindering and dangerous, but they don't matters out of the hands of players entirely. You can come back from these successfully:

Impalement: Reduces attack/defense by 1. By comparison, this is not a big deal, but it could still kill you. It lowers the character's odds, but they still largely retain their ability to fight back.

Disarmed: Very dangerous, even if a character has back-up weapons. However, clever maneuvering and tactics can keep an opponent busy while the disarmed character re-arms themselves, and restores their combat effectiveness.

Knocked Down: Puts the character in a tight spot, but once again, quick thinking and tactics can save your skin.

Injured Leg: Immobilizes the character, but doesn't prevent them from fighting back. They are vulnerable, but not helpless.

Sundered: Once again, something to keep in mind, but still something one can work around.

Essentially, injuries should challenge players to adapt, rather than leave them helpless. The second set of injuries are largely equal in danger. However, the first set I've listed are all -vastly- more deadly. And worse still - the only solution is a character with high Medicine.

The solution: Tone some injuries and critical effects down, make them force the player to think and improvise, rather than take matters out of their hands.
[/tab]

[tab=Part 3: Shields]

As it stands, shields are far too effective for what they do. They allow a player to roll for Defense against multiple attacks, and -vastly- improve the chance of a successful defense.

Take for example Billy - he has 3 ranks in Shield and a Tier 1 shield, as well as One-handed Sword 3/3 and a Tier 2 Longsword.
Then take Joey, who wields a Greataxe Tier2 and has Two-handed Sword/Axe 3/3.

Boiling things down to mathematical chance:

Billy's total defense bonus is - 3 (Shield skill) + 2 (Tier 1 Shield) +3 (One handed Sword skill) +2 (Tier 2 Longsword) +2 (Reflex) = 12
Joey's total defense bonus is - 3 (Two Handed Sword/Axe skill) + 2 (Greataxe Tier 2) + 2 (Reflex) = 7

Billy essentially has a 50% better chance to succeed on his defense roll, since these two are otherwise evenly matched. And even if Joey's friends tried to help him, Billy could still swat their attacks aside. Joey on the other hand can only defend himself from Billy's attack.

The solution: There are ways to reduce the -huge- gap in defensive capability between shielded and non-shielded characters, while still making Shields desirable for the -truly- defensively minded.

1. Allow all characters to defend themselves from at least 2 attacks.
2. Remove the defensive bonus from the shield itself. Tier 1/2/3 shields in stead allow a character to roll for defense against that many additional attacks. The Shield skill still applies a defense bonus.
3. ??? - There are other adjustments that can be made that I don't have figured out yet.[/tab]
[/tabs]

@Glaciercold Right'o. For all intents and purposes, however - my CS is compleeete!

If nobody takes up the role of MEDIC!!!, I'll volunteer to take that over, as well.

If we're discussing/changing mechanics, I'd like to bring up durability. It may be difficult to fight at all when every single engagement results in a degradation (Or outright breakage) of equipment.

Would you consider changing the degradation to "Every other fight", @Glaciercold, or a percent chance? Maybe modified by the weapon/armor skill?

Alright folks, after much deliberation, the text wall is now complete.

First and foremost.

Make sure you give our rules a read, and I would ask you to get rid of that dagger, since she already has so much gear starting out. Once done, you'll be good to go.

What I strongly feel we need - is an initiative system.

As it stands, if all opponents in a fight end up acting simultaneously (what the system in place is right now), injuries just start piling up far too quickly, and everyone ends up dying. It's really a key mechanic of any turn-based, dice-based combat system. It allows for some strategic planning and eliminates a great deal of reliance on pure luck.

Essentially, what initiative allows is the players to plan ahead, rather than let random numbers dictate everything.
I definitely agree with this, a initiative system sounds like a great idea to make combat more tactical. However, I still believe "luck" has a role to play, as you cannot accurately predict everything in the heat of battle. With that said, there's already a very basic system for perception check when starting combat. This is just a comparison of "who hits first".

Now, I'd like to merge your idea into an expansion of the system above. Rather than deciding initiative entirely based on mobility and reflex, both of which are already very valued, and emphasizing on them would only make them trump over other stats. I would prefer for the knowledge skills to be highlighted. In essence, your knowledge of the environment will be pitted against that of the enemy, with whoever having the extra would gain the difference as bonus. This bonus would then modify a standard D10, 50% dice roll for initiative; with the winner of the roll going first. After that, the combat order between the said individuals would remain the same, unless one many things below happen.

Let's suppose there's two people duking it out, A vs. B. A beats B in the perception roll, and it would start with A-B until...

• If A and B's 4 meters apart, B has a spear (effective range 4 meters) and A has a dagger (2m), B gets the initiative due to A having to close in.

• Another combatant (C) joins the fray, they (C) would have the element of surprise and gets precedence over the other two. So now, the order is C-A-B.

• But, if the outnumbered fighter decides to shift his attention to the new entrant, the new guy would be last. At the same time, because the outnumbered person gets distracted, his original opponent would be first, shifting him into second. The order is now B-A-C

• To preserve @Firewombat's original point on reflex and mobility, a critically successful dodge (10) would shift the initiate to the evader, if they are not already in lead. So going back to our original scenario, suppose B pulls a crit dodge on A, the order would change to B-A.

• I would imagine getting your arm cut open disrupts focus, so that's another thing altering fight orders. How about, when injuries occur between the fighters, whoever was more injured (heavy vs light) (light vs none) loses their initiative. Ok, so back in the original scene, B puts a heavy injury on A but A only inflicted a light injury on B, A is more injured than B, which makes the order B-A.

• Spotting was briefly mentioned, but it doesn't really do much beside revealing hidden targets. Now, what if when you spot an unengaged target and relay the information to your teammate, who then attacks the spotted enemy. I think in this case, having a forewarning would allow the attacker, who's acting on friendly "intel", to have the initiative. Think of it like this, D and E are on the same side, both unengaged. E spots a hostile, F, and tells D about it. When D turns and starts to battle F, D would go first because of spotting.

• Lastly, a successful taunt gives the taunter the initiative. Likewise, attacking an intimidated foe also gets you the initiative.

Continuing this discussion in my next post, browser's lagging really bad right now, and I want to save everything in case it suddenly shuts down.

I'm back!

As it stands, Injuries have very serious effects that might very well decide the outcome of a fight if even one of them is inflicted. Even a character with an Endurance score of 5 would be slain easily, if they sustained the right kind of injury. It also makes Medicine more important than any Weapon Skill for combat.

And although it'd be difficult to inflict a Heavy Injury on such a character in one attack, the second Light Injury they sustain would be enough to cripple them. Some examples of injuries that are far-too crippling for their intended purpose, and only serve to take a character out of the fight, keep in mind that there is literally a minimum 10% chance of suffering these effects, and only in very fortunate situations would it ever be lowered that much:
Injuries are exactly what I intended them to be, quick and decisive. Therefore, medicine is important for the exact reason, to mitigate all of the harsh injuries. Nevertheless, I do like a lot of your proposals.

Broken Arm: A character with a broken arm cannot use their weapons - thus they are far less effective in combat - and as such, are easily slain.
Injured Leg: Immobilizes the character, but doesn't prevent them from fighting back. They are vulnerable, but not helpless.
Having both arms or legs taken out in one hit seems unlikely, so here's the change. A regular injury to appendages only takes out one arm/leg, which nerfs stats instead of making players immobile or defenseless. Getting another heavy injury to the same spot would then take out the other appendage, giving the current effects.

Also, a negative crit would be changed to double appendage damage.

Misfire: Essentially a different version of Broken Arm.
Not really, only the weapon is gone, you can still deploy a secondary weapon. This stays.

Deep Laceration: Giving a character a Death Timer only serves to take away control from the players.
Burning: Essentially the same as Bleeding.
That's exactly what's intended, forcing you act (or die). Still, I'm open to adjustment proposals.

Punctured Lung: Lowers Endurance score to 0. Essentially this means instant death.
Good eye! Pretty big oversight here. How about changing to 0 injury bonus?

Panic: Far too powerful, considering it cannot be resisted.
Effects are appropriate, however, change to how it's induced is welcomed. Still thinking on this one, specific suggestions would be appreciated.

Next up (after a few hours), blocking!

We really need a medic, then! Also I've removed the carving dagger. @Glaciercold

I'll actually take back what I said about Bleeding and Burning effects. It makes sense, for Medics to be in high demand, and after some quick research, I'll have to agree that Bleeding out can literally be a very swift death, if the right artery is ruptured.

As for injuries as a whole - I think you're on to a very elegant solution, creating stacking effects for multiple injuries to the same area. I think that's a good way to keep them dangerous. It's certainly difficult to make them decisive, yet not horribly broken at the same time, but if the intention was to make them something that we're constantly worrying about - then I'll certainly agree that they should stay -very- powerful

I've removed the carving dagger.
approved.jpg

More amendments as promised.

Blocking:
  • Polearms and two handed weapons can block up to two attacks.
  • Instead of double weapon quality bonus when blocking with shields, it would now be a fixed 1 point extra. Rationale being, that the extra point comes from a larger surface area to work with.
Equipment:
  • Instead of guaranteed equipment degradation after every fight, a dice would be rolled instead, which is modified by that how much the particular piece of kit was used.
Miscellaneous:
  • This might seem like common sense, but your character should eat and sleep every day. Negative effects will be applied for sleep deprivation and/or hunger.
  • Attacking innocents with weapons will likely be viewed as attempted murder, where attacking with fists are treated as assaults. Attempted murder has much more severe consequences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.