Fall of an empire

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by caligari, Sep 22, 2014.

Would you Roleplay in something like this

1. Yes, the Roman world is awesome

2. Yes, but not in the Roman world can we try....

0 vote(s)
  3. Yes, but not in an ancient world. Modern and modern only.

0 vote(s)
  4. No, it's too big

5. No, the Roman world isn't interesting

0 vote(s)
  6. No, it's just not for me

0 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, so I have this idea for a roleplay that may or may not be very expansive. What I mean by this is that the world given to you, the players, will be huge as in half of Europe huge. Half of Europe as in the Western Roman empire half.
    Why? Because it's a RP set in the Western Roman empire, obviously.
    Now what's the biggest problem? Well, actually there are two big problems, but one at a time starting with the biggest one: Roman society.
    So, what I'm going to do is quickly go over the social classes and military state and those that can sit through this and find it interesting will find the story of the roleplay below that as well as other information such as details about the cities, countries, enemies and political situation.
    Sounds like fun? Of course it does; let's-a go!

Top social classes

Imperial house.
    As the name suggest these are the people that get access to the imperial palace; for the sake of the roleplay and to keep this thread as short as possible, this class will not be playable. Too much power, too much chance for someone to abuse that power.

Senatorial class.
    Again, the name tells us most of what we need to know. These were those who had managed to get themselves a seat within the senate and by extension their families. They were as noble as noble gets and their entire class is the pinnacle of elitism. Very few got in this class and most either got to their position by descending from a past consul (The highest senatorial position that can be compared to a prime-minister, there are two consuls at any given time) or to get elected into a political position from the equestrian class, though the latter wasn't easy or frequent.

Equestrian class
    The basis for this class was economic, any man could enter this class if he could prove to provide a stable minimum amount of wealth. Again, by extension, his family members were also considered Equestrians.

Lower classes

Commoners or Plebs
    These were the middle ground of the social classes and were the largest group of citizens within the empire. These people varied from rich to poor and from wise to dull, but one thing they all had in common was the fact that they were legitimate Roman citizens unlike the classes below them. Being a Roman citizen had many perks such as the right to vote, the right to inherit property, the right to stand for civil or public office, the right to marry and have children who will be considered Romans, The right to court (legal trial, sue and be sued, appeal magistrate orders,...), The right to not be flogged, the right to live (except when found guilty of treason) and the right to maintain public status after relocation.
    To become a Roman citizen you had to do one a several things:
    -Serve a designated amount of time within the Roman army
    -be born of Romans
    -Marry a Roman and present a child to the local magistrate
    -buying your way into Roman citizenship (though this was illegal and was done under the table)

Other forms of citizenship were given to foreigners moving to Rome or Living in conquered areas, but they were given limited rights and other benifits.

men and women who had been slaves but had bought their freedom or been manumitted. They were not fully free because they had various restrictions on their rights and owed certain duties to their former masters, who now became their patrons, but they could become citizens if their former masters were citizens and they had been formally manumitted; they were not, however, eligible for public office. This was the one class it was not possible to leave, though the class encompassed only one generation. The next generation, their freeborn children, became full citizens (though there was a social stigma attached to being a freedman's son) and could even become equestrians if rich enough. Freedpeople had low social status, and most were probably fairly poor, but it was possible for them to achieve some success in a trade, and a few might even become wealthy.

system of chattel slavery where human beings were born into slavery or sold into slavery through war or piracy. Slaves were the property of their owners by law, but by custom some slaves (especially urban, domestic slaves) might be allowed their own savings with which they might later buy their freedom, or their masters could manumit them, so some mobility into the previous class was possible. . Roman slavery was not racially based, and slaves had no special distinction of dress, though slaves who had run away were sometimes made to wear metal collars with inscriptions such as the following: “I have run away. Capture me. When you have returned me to my master, *insert master name here*, you will receive a reward.”

As you might have guessed, women in the Roman empire weren't treated equal to men; they weren't allowed to vote or go into politics, nor were they allowed to join the army. But many records show that women were in fact quite powerful within the Roman world. Time and time again were high political officials' actions determined by their wives or mistresses, even emperors were often mere puppets of their women. Julius Ceasar his daughter kept Pompeii and subsequently the senate at bay during his rise to power, Emperor Claudius was a puppet of several women trying to get their sons and family into vast power. Two succeeded.
    As far as class goes, although membership in these classes was dominated by the same families over many generations, the classes themselves were defined according to male activities rather than birth. Women's place in these classes was therefore somewhat problematic. However, there came to be a customary acceptance that women belonged to the social class of their fathers and then of their husbands, although the women had no special dress that distinguished their status.

Before I continue with the story I would like to bring up an important part of the empire, namely; the Army. The Roman military was an interesting beast as men from any social rank or origin could serve. In times of dire need even freedfolk and slaves were sometimes inducted.
    After the military reform of Emperor Constantine, the army of the Empire was divided into two groups:
    Stationary force
    The Limitanei were the units sent to the frontiers of the Roman empire. They were border guard and often seen as second class soldiers. In truth their entire mission wasn't to stop an invading army, only to slow it down until a stronger, more mobile force arrived. In time these men became settlers and farmers of the areas they were assigned to.

Mobile force
    These were the hard hitting defence force of the Roman army. They were mobile forces spread across the Roman world instead of being garrisoned at the frontiers. Should an invading army arrive, they would be allowed to break through the borders, while being delayed by the Limitanei. Meanwhile these Comitatenses would mobilise and head out to the place of conflict where they would meet their enemy in the field and crush them in great detail.

The foederati were essentially barbarian allies to the Romans. They lived in Gaul (France, Belgium and the north of Italy), Germania (The Roman parts of Germany), Hispania (Spain and Portugal) and Britannia (England and Wales). They were an effective fighting force under command of roman officers and much needed support to the weakening Roman legions.
    They were often enlisted to do the fighting few other Romans were willing to do and if they served well and long enough they were rewarded with Roman citizenship and Roman lands. But by the time they would receive such gifts they were, in theory, already Romanised to the point of losing their original heritage.

Pfew, quite a read, eh? Well you sat through it, congratulations, you're halfway to the end. Hey, hey where are you going. Oh... He left. Well fuck that guy, I never liked him anyway.
    Okay, story time.
    The year is 364A.D., the Western Roman empire is showing heavy signs of weakness; the northern frontier is about to break, Huns have entered Germany forcing many Germanic tribes toward the empire. Religious persecution happens on both sides with Pagans attacking Christians in order to protect their beliefs and ensure their culture doesn't disappear and Christians attacking Pagans sparked on by increasing Pagan persecution in the Eastern empire.
    You are a Roman citizen in this dangerous time, you are shopkeepers, politicians, soldiers, warriors, religious followers and more. But now your lives are about to change, whether you want it or not. Will you flee as far west as west goes in fear of oncoming barbarian invaders, or will you perhaps stay and face the turmoil you see every day with struggles between the two religions that now hold a firm grip on your city. Perhaps it is you that causes the turmoil, rioting against the line of emperors for one reason or another. Who knows, only time and your actions will decide your fate.

Yeah? Are you interested? No? Well I thought it was a pretty good set up, but no one's perfect, if you have a suggestion you can by all means say what's on your mind. Free speech and all that.

Lastly (you've been waiting for that word, eh?) we have some of the most important cities.

From north to south:

Londinium (Modern day London): The largest city in Britannia and the one city in the barbaric north that is most loyal to the roman ways, militarily in particular. This city isn't like most Roman cities in such a way that it is one of the few in military hands rather than private, still though it is a vastly important city for trade from Roman Britain and the Roman provinces on the continent. This city is mostly Pagan

Samarobriva (Modern day Amiens in Northern France): An important city in the north of Gaul as it was the largest Port city at the time and the main crossing point between the continent and Britannia. This city is rich with trade and strong with force as it lies close to the frontier. This city is mostly pagan

Paris (Guess): After the split of the Roman world this city became more and more important to the point where many emperors decided that this should be their place of residence. Even in 364 emperor Valentian settles here to rule his part of the Empire and organizes an armed militia to defend the area. As you can imagine this city is wealthy due to a variety of reasons. This city is a combination of Pagan and Christian.

Carthago Nova (Modern day Cartagena, Spain): as capitol of Hispania it is the biggest city in spain rivalled only by Corduba further to the south and one of the greatest naval cities by the Mediterranean. This city is rich with silver, naval trade and fishing and would later become one of the cities which would be conquered and settled by the barbarian Visigoth invaders. This city is mostly Pagan.

Rome (...It's Rome, what do you want me to say?): As you can imagine this is an important city in this RP's day and age with this being the place for the senate and one of the greatest Christian cities of the then known world, rivalled only by Constantinople and Jerusalem. This city was once the centre of the world, the crown jewel of the Roman empire and the centre of culture and art. Even know, much degraded through civil war, religious persecution and the leaving of the emperor it still stands as one of the greatest cities ever built. This city is rich with everything from trade to art. This city is mostly Christian.

There are more cities to the south in Sicily and Northern Africa, but not a lot happened there at this time so we'll leave them be.

So, after reading all that... Who's interested in Living and wandering the ancient roman streets again?
  2. i like it alot, you have surtenly have put alot of time and effret in to it i would be dumd no to join
  3. Well, that's one at least. I appreciate the effort, but it looks like it would be best to not try and get this off the ground. Looks like a wasted effort, really.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.