Fairy Tail: Lost Chapters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ila couldn't help but to grin, noting how he'd said he wasn't the problem. "Oh I'm so sure, now you just sound guilty though."

"Cold? Nah, I'm fine." She said this, but with the next passing breeze she hugged herself and suddenly huddled a little closer to him. Her eyes looking down and away. "..D-don't worry about it.. I just didn't drink enough, that's all..." She shivered.

Kanda looked at her, a grin only slightly tugging at his lips. "Come 'ere." He held out his hand, snapping, a flame settling in his palm.

"Part of the reason I don't have physical contact is the heat I give off." He held the strap to his pack even tighter.

"Hm?" Ila looked up when she was beckoned but didn't until the fire was sparked and held in the palm of Kanda's hand. It was nothing all too out of the world to see, but the gesture was enough to make her feel a little more welcomed as someone who forced herself upon him.

As ordered, she walked a bit closer to the flame, the heat it gave off being nowhere near as intense as the heat he gave off when he was using the flame armor earlier. It was a soft fire meant to aid rather than destroy, and she welcomed the warmth washing across her face and arms, holding out her hands over it.

"So I take it if anyone were to touch you, they'd be burned then..? Can't you control it? " Ila said, raising her gaze to meet his.

"It depends on who they are." Kanda replied simply, "The fire doesn't burn, just makes it uncomfortable." He shrugged. He continued to hold the flame out to her, glad that his flame could do more than hurt.

"If you were to touch my skin, you would soon grow uncomfortable at the heat. It's like...well...it was explained to me by another. They equaled it to putting their hand too close to a fire. The heat won't kill them, nor burn. It just makes you feel as if you need to pull away."

"It's so warm..." Ila felt curious, and so even as Kanda was speaking she moved her hands quickly from the fire to close around Kanda's forearm. Her mind was immediately fixated on the sensation. It was like she wasn't even touching skin, it was as if her hands were touching a bare flame with some kind of protective ....what was it? ...like some kind of soft ruggedness to it. She couldn't describe the feeling..but it wasn't too long before she had that urge to pull away and so she did, but it was a more thoughtful and sedated withdrawal than a frantic retreat one would expect. "..Sorry. I couldn't resist."

Kanda winced and jerked away from her, closing his fingers around the flame in his palm to extinguish it. He pulled the sleeves of his trench-coat further down over his arms.

He didn't like people touching him. She had done the same thing once. She had reached out, touching him to help bind a wound from a mage-killer on one of their quests. She hadn't even flinched, instead binding his wound with ease. Later she had explained the heat and how it felt to her. But, she was able to touch him, for some odd reason.

Kanda shook his head. "Let's just get to the guild."

The sudden withdrawal on Kanda's side made her flinch, and instantly she knew she'd been in the wrong and so lowered her hands to her sides with a slight smirk and nod.

"Sorry.. you're right." Ila said with an understanding nod, and pulled back into herself. The fire had been put out so she still stayed close, but she now knew where the boundary was, and she wouldn't dare cross it. Not right now at least. "The guild hall shouldn't be too far from here now, but if you'll lead the way I think it'd be best, My sense of direction isn't exactly promising..haha."

Kanda nodded, walking faster. Soon, the guild hall was in sight. It was a large guild hall, as it had been redone many times. Additions for other sections. It included a basement for food and ale, a first floor where the wizards gathered for shared meals and conversations. It also held the normal class wizards' job board. On the second floor there was a special job board. There were also rooms for the resident wizards and the nurses station situated on the second floor. While the third floor contained a room for the guild master.

He reached the door, and opened it, thrilled to be at home once again. Other guild members situated around the first floor, looked up in shock. They had not been expecting him to return so soon.

"Wooooow~ so this is what the inside of the Royal Knight's Guild Hall looks like!" Ila exclaimed as she walked in through the door. The shocked looked ont he faces of some of the guild members caught her a bit off guard, but as it wasn't her but Kanda that they were focused on, she took it upon herself to enjoy take in her surroundings and see what the place was all about. "It's so big.. and there's so many wizards in here!"

Was she a bit uncomfortable? Of course... in fact, for someone with an eye for that sort of thing they'd be able to see Ila sizing up every last wizard that crossed her sight and debating on their destructive ability and ranking their level of threat in the back of her mind. there was never a situation where she wasn't confident she could take someone down, whether or not she actually COULD remained to be seen, but since everyone seemed friendly enough, she figured she'd not have to worry about such things.

Still..better safe than sorry and rather to hide it all behind a friendly smile since she was a guest.

Kanda nodded to Ila. "Don't stare." He walked towards the bar, ignoring those that were staring at him in shock.

"What are you lot staring at?!" He yelled, tossing a jule on the bar. It was quickly exchanged for a beer and Lyra, the barmaid winced.

"Kanda, no one expected you back so soon. You've only been gone a month or two." She said, pulling a barstool up to sit in front of him. "Plus, you brought along a pretty girl. Are you wanting to join the guild, lass?"

The others around him, turned away, avoiding his gaze.

Such a response... Just what kind of reputation did this guy have?

Ila thought back at the bar when it was all but cleared at the mere sight of him, and again when Kyo and Gramps affirmed his identity. Ila took his advice and chose not to stare, instead moving to the bar with a longing stare at the wall of booze and tonics. Ooooh what a treasure trove of wonderful wonderful bounty.. Where would she even start? What would have her under the table the fastest?

Her perusing the bar wall like a child at a candy store was soon interrupted by a politely asked question and an accent that drew Ila's immediate attention. On top of that she complimented her which drew a light flush to the woman's face and a slight grin. She liked this girl.

"Join the guild?" Ila repeated, at first unsure if the woman was serious, then gave a slight shake of her head. "Er... no, not really. I just owe this big guy for saving my tail outside of town. Me and wizards usually don't really get along... you'll understand I hope." She tried, really trying not to be rude to the barmaid.

"Oh!"Ila almost jumped and offered a hand in greeting. "You seem nice enough though! My names Ila, by the way. Whats yours?"

Lyra smiled. "My name is Lyra. I'm the singing mage. I am also the barmaid for our guild." She shook the other girl's hand. "I do hope you will choose to join us sometime. Kanda has never brought anyone to the guild so he must have seen something special in you."

Kanda frowned and took another swig of the ale. "Lyra..." He warned with a slight growl.

Lyra leaned over the bar and winked at Kanda. "Stop being so grumpy!"

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Lyra!" Ila smiled in the face of the introduction. a singing mage? She'd never heard of such a thing... the thought of casting spells through singing seemed a bit odd, and all things considered, Ila was intrigued by the thought and thought of how she would even defend against that kind of caster.

Ila's face then gained a bit of a sheepish smile. Something special in... her? She didn't know it was so rare. It seemed they had a lot more in common than she originally thought.. and yet so different. Perhaps that's what it was that drew her to him. Ridiculous.. something special didn't always mean romantic interest, perhaps he just sensed how strong she was?

Who was to know? all that meant now was that Ila had playful ammunition.

A mischievous grin played across the woman's face, and she leaned in closer after chuckling at the exchange. "..So that's it then, big guy? Youlike having me around, don't ya?" She arched a brow, her tone almost like that of a child.

[sorry for the delay, friend was distracting me with stuff]

Kanda frowned. "Simply because you owe me a drink." He finished his beer and exchanged a jule for another, watching Lyra slide it over.

"Now, Kanda, you needn't drink so much!" Lyra fussed. "I'm cutting you off after this one."

Kanda growled. "I don't want to wake the guild again..." At Lyra's insistent look, he sighed. "Fine. Now, how much do I owe on the last three jobs I completed?"

Lyra held out a hand. "Let me see your papers. The ones you always keep."

Kanda reached into his pocket, pulling out three sets of papers. They were his reports from his jobs, and the signatures from those that he had completed them for.

"Oh is that all I'm worth to you?" Her face faltered and a mock look of hurt came across her features, then she huffed and looked off to the side as they went on to talk about jule at which point she stood from her seat to take it upon herself to go and take a look at the Job Request board. Hands on her hips, she leaned over infront of the wall of varying jobs with a few others of the guild who seemed to keep a wary eye on her. Not that she cared, she was a newcomer, so they had every right to be curious.

"...Hmm.. so this is an actual job request board.." Ila stated calmly. "I usually get my jobs sent to me.. this will take some getting used to."

She read a few of them, and began to get a feel for the format. they were ranked by difficulty and the more difficult the job, the higher the payout. That being said, most of them seemed to be jobs easier done by a group.. and Kanda was soloing these things? Did he have a death wish? Or perhaps he was just that awesome.. She would soon find out as they were now partners on whatever requests he took. At least until she was finally able to buy him a drink.

"Lyra.. you mind if i take a few of these even though i'm not in a guild?" She asked walking from the board, pointing at it. then took a seat beside Kanda again. "..what are all those papers for anyway? will i need them?"

Lyra quoted Kanda a price and he reluctantly handed her the jules that were owed. Lyra looked over as Ila asked about the board. She frowned and shook her head. "I'm sorry, you would have to join the guild. But, you could always quit the guild when you wanted."

Kanda frowned at Ila. "What? Why would you want jobs?"

Ila frowned at Lyra's response. It seemed she might not have a choice in the end but to join a guild to help pay the bills. "Well that sucks.." she said, crossing her arms and resting her head on top of them.

"Well it's not like I have any other source of income. My list of skills involving anything other than my blade is laughably short... and all the money I DO get I er...invest in the local bars.." She grinned sheepishly, rubbing the back of her head. "how about it big guy? We split your rewards 50-50? "

Kanda grumbled. "I work alone."

Lyra rolled her eyes. "Kanda...you didn't used to. Look, just agree so she will join." She leaned over, winking and sliding another ale over. "I'm sure she would be very grateful, and it would only be for a while."

Kanda looked at the beer. "Are you trying to tempt me, Lyra?"

Ila almost went to pout, but when Lyra seemed to be taking her side she couldn't help but nod and agree with whatever the lady was saying. With someone strong like Kanda around, she'd make LOADs of Jule, meaning she could drink to their health every single night! And when he was so persuaded, he'd join her as her drinking buddy since it seemed he was also a strong fan of the creature.

"Come on, Big Guy, I promise I'll be good, and I am strong! There's no way i'd hold you back!"

Kanda sighed. "I suppose you won't stop pestering me until I say yes..." He cocked an eyebrow at the beer, picking it up and taking a swig. "So, yes."

Lyra clapped. "HEY EVERYONE!" She yelled at the crowd of remaining wizards in the bar. "Kanda took a partner!" Suddenly, the room seemed to be buzzing, everyone speaking at once in shock and silence.

"What about..." "Eliza" "Dead" "Another?"

Kanda winced, turning around. "SILENCE!" He slammed his beer down and stood up, his face growing red and angry, heat radiating off his body.

Status
Not open for further replies.