Fairy Tail: Lost Chapters

Status
Not open for further replies.
That roused her curiosity, and her gaze intensified at the mention. Lost someone too. That meant he'd lost someone important to him.. judging by how he seemed at first glance she could somewhat imagine. It was a woman, that was why he'd rushed in to help her, maybe? She wondered... just who was he fighting to defend the memory of? Who was the original "princess" to his Knight? She wanted to apologize.. but if he wanted pity, he wouldn't have muttered it in such a way that led her to believe he'd rather not touch the subject.

So many questions for someone she'd only just met and knew so little about.. The thought that they'd probably be parting ways after they shared a few drinks sent a slight twinge of sorrow through her heart. All of this was thinking that had passed in a few short moments before a bright smile filled all corners of her face and she moved to her feet.

"I know a place in town that's perfect for toasting new friends and burying old ones alike!"

It wouldn't have taken long before they were wandering in the streets of Fiore. Her calm stride drove her through the busy streets of town and by this time she'd properly strapped her blade to her lower back so her arms were free to wave to passers by and and occasionally ask street vendors for directions as her sense of direction was god awful. It was a wonder if she actually KNEW where the bar was until finally they'd found the door to a small waterside hovel not too far from Fiore's native guild hall.

"Come on in!" Ila held the door open, but a greeting was shouted from the middle-aged bartender and a young boy sitting at the counter drinking an orange juice with bright blue hair and red eyes. It was a simple place, no more than about 30 seats in the entire place and most of them seemed taken save for those at the counter by the young boy.

"Hey Ila. Heard you were seen wandering around town with some guy, what's that all about?" The boy asked with an almost bored tone and even less interested looking eyes.

Kanda nodded, following her easily. He watched as she calmly strode through the busy streets of town. He found interest in the way she moved through the crowd, were in his case, they parted for him. He held his hands in his pockets, listening to the whispers as he passed. His scar and hair color combined with his familiar trench-coat stood him out from the crowd and people instantly knew the famous Flame Wielder. He nodded to her and followed her into the bar.

The child's question reached his ears and he didn't even bother to smile.

The Bartender expected Ila, but the guy she was said to be traveling with he assumed to just be some poor sob she'd conned into buying her drinks today. It was something the woman was known for, but was ultimately harmless. She was no whore, Ila would just string them along, playing some sweet girl down on her luck and out of guilt and hopes of getting closer to her they'd foot her bill. Sadly, there was no end to Ila's thirst, and they'd soon run out of jule before she was finished and they'd be sent home with broken spirits and bank alike.

Still, when a second pair of footsteps entered with Ila's, the man looked up from behind black framed glasses and nearly dropped the glass he was holding. "..."

The boy looked to the male, and instantly his uninterested gaze followed suit with the bartenders and the both of them snapped to attention. "ILA! DO YOU KNOW WHO THAT IS!?"

Ila closed the door calmly behind her, then arched a brow at their reactions, turning to cross her arms under her bust and wave the matter off with her hand. "Some guy in the Royal Knights guild, pretty cool huh? He helped me out of a tight sp-- er.. He helped me take down some strong dark wizards on my way in." She corrected on the fly.

"SOME GUY!? That's the Flame Wielder Kanda!!" The boy spat, almost histerical at how casual Ila was addressing him.

"He did say he was a flame wielder.." She said, scratching the side of her face with her index finger. "I know those Knights are a big deal, but there's lots of fire wielders in their guild, isn't there?" and Ila's clear naivety was met with a unanimous expression of shock from the both of them. The rest of the bar had gone completely quiet at the mere mention of Kanda, and yet here Ila was only knowing him because of the guild he was in. Since the rest of them seemed speechless, Ila looked up to Kanda with a curious glance, examining his face. "You know... those bandits reacted the same way. I guess it wasn't just your guild brand that scared them off.. You'd kind of a big deal too, aren't you, big guy?"

Kanda watched the exchange with little interest, walking up to the bar and setting his pack down on a chair beside him. He stood, looking back at Ila's expression and obvious confusion. "I'm one of only two flame wielders in my guild." He said with a smile, sitting down at the bar.

"I am a big deal but only to those that care." He waved a finger at the barkeep. "Strong ale please." He said with a nod. He looked back at Ila. "You buying or what?"

The barkeep nodded at the request, and as this was perhaps one of the strongest visitors to his little place, he would do his best to give him the best service he could. "Right away, Mr. Kanda."

Ila moved to the seat to Kanda's side, furrowing her brow at how calm he was when the other two seemed wary of him. She watched him as if something crazy would happen at the drop of a hat, but soon lost interest when he asked if she was paying, at which point she nodded. "You've got it, big guy. Have all you want! Barkeep, put his drinks on my tab, hm?"

The barkeep glared for a moment. "Your tab is 3 books deep. His drinks will be free for putting up with you." the man said, cleaning out a single glass and pouring the strongest ale he had.

Ila's spirits sunk, and her eyes narrowed. "Come on! I had your money this time, but those stupid dark wizards got the drop on me!" She declared slamming her fist on the counter top.

"Yeah? Who was it this time? 20? 30 of them? If it was less than ten then there's no excuse." The barkeep said, wise eyes raising an eyebrow at the poor young woman.

Ila lay her head in crossed arms. Pride injured. "..It was 5..but Whatever. I don't want a stupid drink anyway." She sighed and closed her eyes.

"You need to stop drinking all the time anyway and find some new marks.. " The boy said, calming himself enough to add in his 2 cents but more so found himself interested in the Royal Knight guild member. "Sorry about her, she's really strong, but sometimes.. well. Anyway, My names Kyo, and that there is Gramps. We run this place. Pleasure to meet you!" The boy said, not bothering to offer his hand but giving a respectful nod.

Kanda watched the exchange, reaching into his pocket and plopping quite a few Jules on the counter. "Her drinks on me, and I don't take free ones thanks for the offer." He looked at Kyo, an eyebrow cocked. "She doesn't bother me." He nodded to both. "Nice to meet you too." He took the ale and raised it to his lips, drinking heavily. He leaned over the bar, his face impassive.

The Barkeep gave a slight sigh at the kindness, but could respect the man for it. "Seems you've lucked out this time, Ila."

Coming to life, Ila sat up and looked Kanda over for a moment. He didn't have to get her a drink.. for once she hadn't meant to force someone to get one for her. And always the look of disinterest on the mans face.. what went on in his mind? She found herself curious, so much so that even when her much desired ale came her way, she didn't down it immediately, but tipped from it carefully, glancing over to him from over the rim of the glass.

Kyo smiled at the greeting, but couldn't help but notice the look on Kanda's face. Gramps and Kyo exchanged looks, but Ila glanced away.

"So.. uh.. Kanda? What brings you this way? Looking for someone?" Kyo asked when he was unable to stand it anymore.

Kanda took another drink of ale and looked at Kyo. "No. I stopped looking, now I just do my jobs, earn my jule, and head back to the guild for a new one." He set the ale down in front of him, remember her....There was never a time when the brunette was not in his thoughts. He grimaced for a moment before his expression went back to being neutral.

He looked at Ila. "Tell me, how far am I from the guild?" His eyes clouded over for a moment before he took another swig, trying again to chase thoughts of her away.

"Well that's depressing, you sound just like..." Kyo started, but before he could finish, Ila caught his attention with the clearing of her throat. A suddenly serious look coming across her features. Kyo shrugged and continued with his drink.

Ila looked up when addressed, "Two blocks east, just along the waterline." She answered, then shut her eyes.

Kyo and the old man both looked to Ila in question then lowered their gaze. This could end very badly.

"I have a question..." A nerve had been struck. Something she couldn't control... something deep rooted in the driving force behind her blade each day. " Who was she?"

"Who is who?" Kanda asked, taking another swig and passing along another jule. "Another." He said, shifting in his seat and looking around the place. He looked at Ila and shrugged, realizing that she had caught him.

"She was a beauty. We would go out and do jobs together. Best team in the Royal Knight Guild." He downed the last of the ale in his hand, setting it on the bar. The cold aloofness he had put up as a barrier started to slip, the ale causing his stomach to burn, as if he had swallowed his own fire.

Gramps answered the jule with another glass just as fast as Kanda's first had been emptied.

Ila listened closely but didn't change the way she sat. Instead she tried to imagine what the man was feeling, for all that pain and loss that he could have felt to force someone to want to shut them out entirely. There was something else to it. Something more that was keeping itself rooted within Kanda.

A curious gaze fell upon the man, "What happened to her?"

Kanda downed more ale. "I don't wish to continue this tragic tale." He turned back around towards the bar, taking another swig before putting his chin in his hand. His gaze was distant, unfocused, as if he was reliving something the had no desire to. He shook his head, downing the last of the beer in the tankard in one go. "I need to get back to the guild. They have a room waiting for me. They always do." He stood, swaying as the beer took a quick hold of him. He should have waited until he got to the guild to drink, he supposed.

Ila glanced up at the sway, perhaps she'd been a little too forward? Or perhaps the pain was just so deep he would really prefer not to share it?

Either way she supposed there was precious little for her to do tonight, it was getting late after all and before too long they would all need to turn in.

Ila lowered her drink and shut her eyes. Then pushed herself up from her seat and checked what possessions the bandits had left her with before turning to face Kanda with a nod and smile. "I suppose you're right, Let's go then, big guy."

Gramps raised an eyebrow, "Where do you think you're going?"

"To the Royal Knights guild... Obviously." She said calmly, then looked to Kanda once more. "I'm not letting you out of my sight until I can pay you back for helping me. So, I guess since you've got no partner anyway, I'll tag along with you for a little while."

Kanda looked at her. "Naw, I can get there myself." He said grumpily and with a frown.

He began to march towards the door, aggravated that he allowed so much of himself to be shown in such a short period of time.

When he tried to pass, she stepped in his way.

"I wasn't giving you an option." She said sternly, eyes almost glaring. He wouldn't be leaving her behind, not when he'd managed to pique her interest. "you can beat yourself up later, but I'm going with you whether you like it or not!" and she turned to open the door and started outside.

Kyo and the old man both watched with a curiosity of their own. What was it about this guy that had Ila wanting to follow him? She followed no one but her own instincts, so why the sudden change of heart? They wondered, but neither of them could arrive at a decent conclusion. They just grinned apologetically.

Kanda rolled his eyes and followed her outside, "Fine." He ran his fingers through his black hair and glared at her. "Just so you know, I'm not answering anymore questions."

"Whatever you say, big guy." ila said with a confident smile and a wink before resting her hands on her hips and leaning slightly forward to look him in the face. "You sure you're gonna be alright though? The old mans ale will sneak up on you and you had a few."

Kanda grunted as a reply. "I'll just take to drinking more once I get back to the guild. I brought in a lot of jule on that last mission...and unlike some others in my guild, I don't destroy everything around me." He looked down at her sharply before moving around her and in the direction of his guild.

"Ooo~ A man who can handle his drink, I think I'll enjoy hanging around you, Big Guy!" She said as he moved around her then moved to follow just behind him with her arms crossed behind her head and eyes looking skyward.

The moons ivory kiss was soft upon the cold stones of the city walkways, but she could feel an even greater chill from the Flame Wielder she'd so haphazardly decided to join up with. She took in each breath calmly, still enjoying the aftertaste left by the ale at the old mans hovel. It was nice.. and the streets had grown quiet in the late hour.

"That's right, I heard about that. You guys seem to have an issue with collateral damage, if you guys were bad guys I'd probably be sent to hunt some of you down." She chuckled but sped up to walk alongside Kanda before she'd be left behind.

Kanda nodded. "I'm not the one that's the problem in my guild." He looked at her and his eyebrow rose. "You cold?" He asked, noting the chill in the air distantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.