Fairies and Humans

Re: The Enchanted Forest

Eve looked at the flowers on the tree for awhile. She turned to the boy when she heard him speak about a fruit. It took her awhile, but she soon noticed which one he had picked up and placed over the fire, to cook. That's when she stood from where she sat and went over to a tree that was much closer to his camp. She couldn't help but to stay half hidden though, for she was a little bit shy. "I wouldn't eat that if I were you... " she said quietly, her voice much softer than a humans.

Dimitri jumped from the voice. "It's like all of the other fruits though, right?" Dimitri looked around but couldn't see who it was that was speaking to him. His eyes weren't adjusted to the light of the night yet, so he couldn't see anything beyond the fire. Hopefully, it was a person that had wandered into the forest. But the voice was so quiet that it sounded like a child. "Who are you?" Dimitri stood up and tried to look over the fire, looking on the skirts of the light. Nothing yet. But he could barely make out the silhouette of a girl that was behind a tree. But not young, like he thought. "Come on out. I don't bite."

Eve saw him stand as he spoke to her. She was going to get in so much trouble for this if any of the other fairies found out she was speaking to a human. When he called for her to come out she honestly wasn't sure. She was a bit nervous only for the fact that this was very new to her. She looked around, wanting to make sure no one else was around. When she was sure they weren't being watched she very slowly let herself walk out from behind the tree, but she didn't speak, not yet.

Dimitri stared for a little while. It was a girl, but she had wings. Was she... "Are you a fairy?" He asked pretty bluntly. He walked towards her, slowly and carefully. She might've looked like him, but that doesn't mean she wouldn't be scared if he acted threatening at all. "I was told fairies were here, but I didn't believe those people." He looked at the fruit he was roasting, that he was told not to eat, then back up to her. "What's your name?"

When the boy started to walked towards her, Eve took a small step back. She wasn't used to being approached by people. Then after hearing him ask her if she was a fairy, she gave him a light nod in return. She watched him carefully though, just to be safe. "Eve.." she replied to him quietly when he then asked for her name after looking at the fruit he had cooking.

Dimitri liked the name Eve. Simple, but quite eloquent. "Well, my name is Dimitri. You said that I wasn't supposed to eat that fruit?" She would know more than he would, but he had no clue why she told him that. "Why shouldn't I? And why would you tell me about it?" Dimitri had many more questions, but didn't want to frighten her off. Instead, he went back to his spot and sat down. Putting yourself in a vulnerable position like that shows that you're not a threat. "Do you want to sit with me?" He offered the spot next to himself by the fire. He was delighted and awed by the company provided.

Eve looked to the fruit when he asked about why he shouldn't eat it. "It's poisonous." she then told him. She looked back at him when he went and sat in his spot again. She didn't really know why exactly she would bother to tell him, but it probably was because she was curious about him. "I've never seen a human before.." she then said. "And I doubt you'd want to eat something that could kill you." she said before going over and taking a seat next to him when it was offered to her.

"Of course I wouldn't want to eat something that would kill me. Although..." He took the fruit out from the fire and put it in a small plastic bag. "I could probably find some use for it." He looked over at Eve, his eyes studying her. She really wasn't human. She had fair skin, wings, and slender figure. Just like something out of folklore. He looked back at his small pile of fruit and decided to stick a different one in the fire, to see if it would roast instead. "These fruits aren't any that I've seen. And I've seen a lot of things." He looked back up at her. "Though, I can't say I've seen a girl like you before. Quite unique." Almost enchanting.

Eve watched as he removed the fruit from the fire and put it in a strange looking bag. When he said he might find a use for it, she wondered what he could have possibly meant by that. She didn't understand humans really. While he spoke and put a different fruit on the fire she looked at the others that he had, just making sure there weren't any others that he should be careful about. She saw none and then looked at the fire he had made. "We don't really allow ourselves to be seen by your kind." she said to him. "It's sort of against the rules of fairies for any of us to communicate with humans." she said.

When she said it was against the rules for fairies to speak with humans, Dimitri let out a scoff. "Huh. And why did they make that rule?" Right after the question was asked, Dimitri thought he knew the answer. Humans tended to destroy what it was that they didn't understand. He felt a little solemn after that thought, but knew that one human wouldn't be violent at all around them. He picked the fruit out of the fire to see if it had changed at all, but nothing happened. Almost like it was fire-retardant. But, Dimitri put it back in the fire again.

Eve honestly didn't know the answer to that question. She never exactly understood why that would be a rule. "Most of my kind feel that humans would try to use us." she then said as she watched him with the fruit. "That is one of the reasons." she added. She then leaned back against the tree behind her. She looked at the fruit. "I don't think the fruit here can be cooked by normal fires."

Dimitri looked at her then at the fruit. He pulled it out and felt it. It was cold. "Well that would explain quite a bit." He smelled the tea that he prepared, which smelled pretty nice. "When you say that humans would use you... What do you mean?" He thought of the government, which would use anyone or anything that would help them get out on top. "What exactly can fairies do that we can't?" Besides what should be apparently obvious.

"Here." Eve added her own magic to the fire and then took the fruit from him. She put it back where it was over the fire and waited to see if it worked or not. The last time she's done this with the fruit in the meadow it worked perfectly. When it actually started to cook a little she leaned back against the tree once more. "All fairies have magic. That is what humans could use us for." she then said. "Each fairy has control over an element, sometimes more than one. Our abilities could be used for either good purposes or bad. It all depends." she added. Just the thought of a fairy being forced to help someone in some kind of fight scared her.

Dimitri laughed a little, watching the fruit cook. "Magic, huh? My life would be easier, but I've lived without it so far." Things like that seemed more like a crutch that got in the way rather than something that would make his life easier. He would just grow more dependent on it instead of just going with what he had. "So do fairies see it the same way that humans do? I mean... Do you use your magic often or do you occasionally use it?" It was an odd question, but he was thinking it would help them relate. "If I could do something like that, I would probably never use it unless I had no other choice..." He didn't even like using matches to start fires. He would rather use flint and steel.

Eve shook her head at his question. "I don't use it too often." she said. "Mostly only if I see any trees or flowers wilting, or if any of the animals need healing." she told him. Those were the only reasons she really used her magic unlike most fairies. But being raised in a royal family of her kind, she's been taught to only use it for certain things. From time to time she will have some fun with it though when there was nothing else to do in the meadow.

Then fairies aren't like humans at all. He took the fruit out and saw that it had roasted. He cut a piece off and smelled it before tasting it. It had turned a lot sweeter, almost like it were baked into some kind of pie. "Well... What else can fairies do?" He tried to pass off the magic thing as if it didn't really interest him, but he was a little interested. Only because of curiosity, he wanted to know what kinds of things this magic could do. But he tried to ignore that feeling and have a conversation.

Eve smiled a little and looked at the sky. "Magic is mainly the only thing fairies could do really." she said. "Other than that, we can communicate with nature and sometimes the animals if they are willing to speak to us." she told him. There really wasn't much else to say about the fairy kind.

Dimitri nodded. Sounded pretty normal. Wait, "You said you can communicate with nature?" He wasn't expecting that. Was there some kind of language that all things understood, or was it some kind of spiritual thing that they could do? "How exactly do you do that?" He wouldn't mind telling that fox a thing or two about tricking him. Or, was it her that was tricking him? Instead of dwelling on that thought, he pulled out a couple of plates from his pack and cut up some fruit to put on both. Each got some raw and some cooked. "I mean, I wouldn't mind letting these bugs know that I'm not their next meal." He laughed a little.

Eve smiled, she had the feeling that might have peaked more of an interest to him. "With most fairies it's more just a feeling of all the emotions around them. But if one was a forest fairy like myself we can actually talk to the animals and plants. We can hear the soft whispers of the wind and trees." she said to him as she watched him cut up the fruit. "It could be a rather fun ability at times." she then added.

That raised more questions from Dimitri. "So you can speak to any creature in nature... Does that include humans?" He was thinking about something a bit more subtle but would baffle anyone else. "I mean... Would you be able to speak any spoken language just by... uh... using this ability?" He had no idea exactly what it was that she did to do it. Yeah he understood she could fee the emotions, but how exactly did she speak to them? "And how exactly do you know how to speak to the animals? Do you... read their energy or something?" He was trying to sound like he was knowledgeable, but he was actually baffled by that alone.