Factory Errors

I wonder if this is what they call evolution..

I am a juvenile-onset diabetic (otherwise known as Type One or Insulin-Dependent). It's a bit unusual, though, because there's no trace of that in my family history (adult-onset is, however). It has, due to a myriad of factors (stress being the major one), began to affect me in other ways.

As far as how I deal with it? One day at a time. I'm doing everything I can to eliminate stress from my life, and stay focused on my goals. It's not going to get any easier, after all.

I was born with sensitive eardrums. Both have ruptured a few too many times during my childhood. All the damage, plus listening to my music too loud as a rebellious teen, has resulted in hearing loss. As I age, it gets harder for me to hear. (I have to use subtitles with the TV like an old person, otherwise it has to be turned up very loud.) Also I've had to deal with increasingly worse tinnitus, that part sucks too.

Acid reflux is another. Nasty business that makes me taste my own puke more often than I'd like.

And I'm allergic to pretty much everything outside. I have severe allergies all year 'round and the only medicine that helps is the kind that puts me to sleep. >:[

The other defect I have may be too weird to mention out loud, I'm not really sure. lol But yeah. That's all I was born with, as far as I know. All the rest of my problems are due to trauma.

Last edited:
I was born with an under-bite that continued to get worse as I grew older- resulting in a need for corrective surgery- if I hadn't had it, I wouldn't have been able to eat solid food for much longer- they only two teeth in my mouth that touched were my very back molars.

I was also born with a grocery-list of food sensitivities that are partially due to, and were exacerbated by-

Being born with a parasophogial (Hell the frick no I'm not looking up proper spelling) hernia where part of my stomach, pancreas and some of my intestinal lining were making themselves cozy with my left lung, which apparently hadn't formed correctly (Which took until last year to figure the hell out.) It took a while for my lung to really get used to having more space...

I have ADD and Depression, and a tendency for manic behavior when I get stressed out.

I ALSO HAVE dermatilimania (Ergh, spelling) and that leads to me attacking my nails, hair, and any imperfections on my body.

I want a freakin refund.

I'm colorblind.
It's really not bad at all, but it makes it near impossible for me to do anything related to color. I still need help fairly often to tell between blue and purple.

Personally I suffer from an auto-immune disorder called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Essentially my immune system is attacking my thyroid gland (which regulates, largely, your capacity for thermogenesis/metabolism) resulting in a decreased secretion of thyroxine, which keeps your metabolism going. Without artificial thyroid medicine taken daily, I effectively lose my metabolism, resulting in lethargy, weakness, sickness, etc... Really it just shuts down anything and everything that needs energy. I inhereted it from my mother (runs in the family, several other members have it to varying degrees).

I also have an arrhythmia, which means my heart beats abnormally. Rather than a steady 'badump-badump-badump' I'll occasionally get a 'badump-ba-BA-BA-DUMP-BA-DUMP-DUMP' which can be dangerous if my heart is also beating at a fast rate. Fortunately my arrhythmia is what's called a "Benign PVC" which means the abnormal rhythms only ever occur when I'm at rest -when I exercise, the abnormality disappears.

It does mean however that I cannot consume any sort of food or drink that can elevate my heart rate at rest (like caffeine). In addition, my right ventricle doesn't pump quite as hard as it should (ventricular cardiomyopathy).

I literally cannot see beyond a foot away from my face, and my vision got worse as I hit puberty. I've been wearing them since the third grade and I'll have to wear them forever. It's the strangest thing to see things correctly with my own vision without the aid of glasses, I've worn them so much that I tend to forget what my actual vision looks like.
Not to mention I have an overbite still. I had an appliance to move it forward about five or six years ago but I'm starting to question how well it worked.
I think my metabolism works a little too well, not that I'm complaining but I'm underweight and can't seem to gain much weight. Kinda affects my ability to grow boobs or have a period (which I'm still not complaining about)

I have bad legs... ankle, knee, thigh, calf, always one of them hurting at some time. And I like walking and playing football/soccer, so I may have to be recalled to the factory :D

I've got 4 things, though two of them weren't from birth. I developed asthma and horrible allergies around puberty, so idk if those would count as factory defects or acquired defects. I'm also prematurely balding, have been since I was 22. It's already to the point that the hair on top of my head is thin enough that you can always see scalp underneath, but not to like bad comb over level yet.

The oddest one is that I have slightly deformed ears. It's just the part that sticks out from the head (called the pinna or auricle apparently, according to Google), not the actual inner workings of the ear. They just didn't grow quite right and parts of the outer rim of my ears didn't fully.. unfold? I guess that word works. There's a ridge of flesh that goes around the outer rim of the ear and is supposed to form a sort of crevice there, but for almost all of it on my left ear and at the very top of my right ear the flesh is actually just fused and has no little gap thing there. My left ear looks a bit pointed because of this as well. Luckily it doesn't affect my hearing in any noticeable way, and they're not fucked up enough for most people to notice at a glance, but it's still an abnormal thing.

The oddest one is that I have slightly deformed ears. It's just the part that sticks out from the head (called the pinna or auricle apparently, according to Google), not the actual inner workings of the ear. They just didn't grow quite right and parts of the outer rim of my ears didn't fully.. unfold? I guess that word works. There's a ridge of flesh that goes around the outer rim of the ear and is supposed to form a sort of crevice there, but for almost all of it on my left ear and at the very top of my right ear the flesh is actually just fused and has no little gap thing there. My left ear looks a bit pointed because of this as well. Luckily it doesn't affect my hearing in any noticeable way, and they're not fucked up enough for most people to notice at a glance, but it's still an abnormal thing.
My son has the same problem with one of his ears. The other ear is fine though, but he has a skin tab on it.

I am double jointed. (Not in some weird, kinky way. -CoughRazcough-) It's only at my elbow when I stretch my arms out all the way. Most people freak out because it looks like my arms are broken. =/

I have horrible vision. I've been nearsighted since I was 8, and have to get stronger glasses each year when I go to the eye doctors.

I wasn't born with it, but I'm a diabetic. I had gestational diabetes while I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, and shortly before my son was born they diagnosed me with type II. My doctor assumed that it never went away after I gave birth, but I'll never really know for sure.

I wonder if this is what they call evolution..
Kinda, yeah, but not exactly the traditional survival of the fittest evolution. Large segments of humans have gotten to the point where the rigors of surviving in the wild don't apply to them anymore and there are all sorts of great technological and medical advances to make up for defects, so mutations like being near-sighted or asthmatic can thrive and spread now where back in hunter-gatherer days most such unlucky bastards would probably die before reproducing. We're still evolving because it's simply unavoidable due to reproduction being an imperfect cycle, but now it's sort of laissez faire instead of there being a major struggle to live to maturity and reproduce.

I have flat feet which has worked well for me in Tae Kwon Do and I have worn glasses since I was five. It's been so long that I don't have memories of what it's like when I didn't need them. In my mind I've always had them. I have them on when I dream.

Other than that, I feel I am rather perfect.

I literally cannot see beyond a foot away from my face, and my vision got worse as I hit puberty. I've been wearing them since the third grade and I'll have to wear them forever. It's the strangest thing to see things correctly with my own vision without the aid of glasses, I've worn them so much that I tend to forget what my actual vision looks like.
Not to mention I have an overbite still. I had an appliance to move it forward about five or six years ago but I'm starting to question how well it worked.
I think my metabolism works a little too well, not that I'm complaining but I'm underweight and can't seem to gain much weight. Kinda affects my ability to grow boobs or have a period (which I'm still not complaining about)
Belatedly I remembered that some of my toes on my right foot are very slightly deformed from when I was a baby. I guess I got squished in the womb or smth

Like most people in this thread, I have weird eyes. I see about 20/20, but this is due to my eyes compensating for each other. My left is far sighted, while the right is near sighted. Didn't find that out until high school, because I'd never had vision problems. We did a fun little test in class that sort of hinted at it, which was confirmed later by an optometrist.

I was recently diagnosed with depression, but I've kinda known I've had it for a long while.

…Not sure if this one might be TMI, but whatever. I'm in a sharing mood. I suffer from Dermatophagia. The symptoms of which include chewing the insides of my cheeks and lips, to the point where there are cuts and calluses inside my mouth, and biting at and… eating the skin of my fingers. There's still a lot of debate over what causes Dermatophagia, and whether or not it's linked to other disorders.

And while not diagnosed, I'm pretty sure I have Pica as well. BUT self diagnosis is a bad practice. Maybe I just have an odd fondness for chewing metals and plastics. And eating paper… That's been less frequent since I've been out of school. Though, since I'm thinking about it, I'm kinda craving it now :/

This may be a little TMI to some, but I am not ashamed about sharing it. The main thing that is wrong with me that may be genetic is PCOS (or polycystic ovarian syndrome). Problems started not long after my menarche when my periods were 10 months apart. I was able to get a diagnosis when I was 18, much earlier than most cases. Some of the symptoms are amennorhea, hirsutism (male type hair growth, which on me is on my upper lip, chin, and belly. They are all light),and infirtility. My daughter has a 25% chance of having it, and being as passionate as I am about women going to see a gynocologist when ever they have described to me that they have problems with certain things, I will encourage my daughter to get tested as well. With me having been diagnosed, I have helped a few other women to obtain a diagnosis as well, and even convinced some guys who have opened up to me about their girlfriends to go see a gynocologist to get the simple blood test (or even the ultrasound as well). PCOS is a prediabetic condition, and also has increased risks of cancer of the reproductive organs and the breasts. Many women who have PCOS tend to have to go through fertility treatments to conceive; I got lucky and conceived naturally. Even here and now, if you think something is wrong, do a little research and do not be afraid to see a gynocologist. It might help you in the long run.

Unlike most people here, I have perfect vision. My problem is my hearing. Due to the environment I lived in when I was younger, it's permanently damaged. Because I'm kind of a recluse, mostly what it means is I have to turn the volume up on things, but it does cause problems when I actually talk to people. If they're not facing me, I can't understand normal speech if the person speaking is more than about five feet away from me. Even in that range, I miss a lot of words and constantly have to ask people to repeat themselves. I find myself apologizing for my hearing a lot, heh. It's worst on the phone. My phone's max volume is not near loud enough, and I can only barely understand people, so I tend to avoid phone calls and stick to text. My bad hearing has, paradoxically, made me alert. I hate being startled, and people would often unintentionally sneak up on me, so I trained myself to pay a lot of attention to my surroundings. I also tend to stand in the corners of rooms because it means people can't walk up behind me, and I can survey the entire room.

Besides my hearing, I have asthma and seasonal allergies, neither of which are fun. My asthma is relatively mild; I don't get attacks often. Some days (especially in winter) I just won't be able to take deep breaths, which makes me tired and lightheaded the whole day. I take my inhaler fairly regularly those days, but it doesn't help that much.
Oh, and I'm allergic to dust. Freaking dust. I can't go into old buildings and other places with a lot of dust in the air unless I hold my breath. If I don't, I can barely breath and have severe coughing fits, which sets off my asthma too.

While it's a minor thing, I'm heliosensitive. Even moderate, indirect sunlight hurts my eyes. I tend to stay inside with the blinds shut because of this, which led to a more serious problem. I'm vitamin D deficient, which I learned recently could be the cause of my asthma. I tend to ache all over because of this, besides the generic "increased risk of cancer etc etc" symptoms.

While it isn't a "factory defect" I also have a bum leg. I have an extreme pain tolerance and a self-injurious nature, and last year I managed to permanently damage the tendons in my leg because I refused to rest on a leg injury. It got even worse this year due to similar circumstances. The pain varies day by day, but if I do much outside, run, etc then I'm usually on crutches for a few days before long. Even on my good days, I have an awkward limp.

Besides physical handicaps, I'm sociophobic. Fun! I'm nervous and on edge around anyone, be it family or my best friend. I can't approach people with anything; my mind just goes "nope" and refuses if I try. Despite this, I want to be a social person. I'm an introvert who wants to be an extravert, heh. My friends mean more than anything to me. I'm the type to die for a friend without a second thought. My friends worry about me a lot because of my previously mentioned tendency toward self injury. I worry about them more, though.

...Wow this turned out longer than I expected. I kind of started to ramble, eh?

I am red/green color-blind. This means that I see colors in perhaps a different way than most of you. Red and brown, light green and yellow, blue and purple, red and pink. These colors are nearly identical to me. It sucks only because so many things in the world are color-coded, and I suffer despite training myself to guess colors.

Something I never got diagnosed is my tendency to randomly develop red-eyes for no reason.

My teeth are all fucked up (or were), I had a bunch of teeth removed in 4th grade because my baby-teeth were just not falling out. Turns out 2 of them never grew back, so I now have two fake teeth. My canines also grew sideways into my gums rather than down, very painful to sort these problems out.

I do get chronic migraines, getting at least 4 a week since I can remember. There have been many attempts to figure this out, and the cause, but we could never get to the bottom of it. So I just live with it. This has given me an incredible tolerance for pain, because I am almost constantly in it.

I am allergic to poison ivy and other plants from that family. I know what you are thinking, that everyone has a reaction to that stuff. Well not everyone has their throat swell up an hour after touching some with their hand.

I am double-jointed in my elbows and knees, and I have inhuman flexibility in my spine (no really it's cool what I can do.)

I started getting gray hair at the age of 19, it's still not bad but it's still there.

I am allergic to poison ivy and other plants from that family. I know what you are thinking, that everyone has a reaction to that stuff. Well not everyone has their throat swell up an hour after touching some with their hand.
My best friend is like this, and it frustrates me too how people just say "Everyone is" if you tell someone you're allergic to urushiol (the chemical in poison ivy/oak/sumac that people are allergic to). My friend makes me nervous because she's almost always doing something out in the woods around the stuff.