3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
Genres
Scifi, Crime/detective, supernatural, apocalyptic, horror, magic realism, mystery, historical, Western(at points)
June 1st, 2:00 pm, 2016
Weather: Cloudy

e2f168a5beb2c162d0dfce11e0afe385.jpg

The City of New Narren was often called the City of Deception. Now, most people were exaggerating when they said this, but it was often true. The streets were filled with con men and women, with sleazy sales people and thieves. It wasn't unusual to find dishonest police officers, or to get offered illegal substances on your way to work. That's just how it was, and how it would always be.

Though with all the deceiving and lies, some of them were not all that bad. The city was in horrible shape, that was a fact. However, it would be in worse shape if some people told the truth. The truth was, the city was flooding with all sorts of species, ranging from dryads to demons, and so on and so forth. And with them came hunters. And with them? Normal people. If you were to tell these groups that the other groups, with the exception of normal people, existed, the area would be on a down-hill slide quickly after. Fighting would occur, and eventually that chaos would spread, on and on, til everyone was effected. That was the joy of having technology that could spread news over the world.

So, in this case, the lies were good. They are kept in check, so nothing would go wrong. Well, were. Quite recently, it began to unravel- people disappeared. They were murdered. This would be normal for the city, if it were not for the fact that it was blatantly done with magic and magical items. It became more frequent, til it was weekly occurrences. Humans were still ever oblivious, even with the facts in front of their face.

And that brings us to today. They still are oblivious, but that won't hold for long. Who knows what will happen?

[fieldbox="Nina Reevis, teal, dotted"]

Character: Nina Reevis
Area: Coffee Shop
Interacting with: N/A
Owner of Other Character: N/A

It was easy to ignore the uneasy tension in the air when surrounded by the smell of coffee. It was especially easy when you had a cup of it in front of you. Nina Reevis had discovered this early on, as she had always been involved in things that raised suspicion and uneasiness. A cappuccino was a quick fix to the awkward feeling.

She sat at a square table, with a green marble center and a outline of dark brown wood. In front of her sat her drink, which she was currently warming her hands on. It wasn't cold out, but the feeling was simply delightful to her. She loved to do this every morning, as it calmed her nerves in one way or another. She wasn't sure why. She didn't really care, either. She wasn't here to make theories over why she liked the warm feeling of a coffee cup. She would just enjoy it in the short time before she had to work once more.

Time was, essentially, not on her side. Ever. She always had something to do, something that her boss would throw on her. Not that she didn't enjoy it, of course, but she would like some time to herself. She glanced at her watch, which had a odd look about it, to read the time. 2:00; it was time to get going once more. Sighing, she rose from her chair, walking towards the door. She took out her phone, flicking through messages and not paying much attention as she went. [/fieldbox]

Last edited:
[spoili]
character:Maeyris
Area: Pawn shop
Interacting With: N/A
Owner of Other Character: N/A[/spoili]

Asian-garden-with-pond.jpg

Maeyris sat in her dark grey chaise lounge. Her elegant robes were draped haphazardly over her tanned bronze skin. Her green eyes were trained lazily on another news report of a murder. Beings were strange. They reveled in the struggle for power, in the bloodshed and chaos. It was quite interesting to watch and Maeyris has had quite the view in her long life. When she was younger it may have gotten to her, made a tear well in her eyes at the thought of earths creatures destroying themselves. Once she realized it was their nature, that it was just how Gaia had planned for her creatures, it was easier to accept. That's just how things went, as they always have.

Tired of the monotonous news reports, Maeyris flicked the television off and rose. Her bare feet were cold on her stone floor, but it was soothing in a way. Shoes had always made her feel trapped. Her robes trailed along behind her as she padded towards her shop. Not many people were allowed in her lounge. It was a place for herself, where she could be close to nature. She stepped through a clear crystal beaded curtain, it clinked noisily behind her as she stepped into her store.

Some may call the pawn shop gawdy. There were a variety of things from furniture to clothes to trinkets and heirlooms. There were quite a few magical trinkets scattered about. She was quite sure there was a conch laying around that allowed one to hear the creatures of the ocean, quite dangerous to the weak minded. It is said that the voices could draw a man crazy. Maeyris stood behind her glass counter. Her chin rested upon her palm as she leaned on her elbows. Her green eyes scanned the passersby with little interest. Maeyris sighed softly and straightened. It was a slow day. She wandered around her store, dusting things to keep busy.

Character: Kael Archer
Owner(s) of Other Character(s): N/A

Another day, another dollar... Words to frigging live by, according to Kael. He never really enjoyed his time at New Narren Coffee, but it was an excellent distraction from his own thoughts.

"Come on..." He'd think to himself, "Think of the good things. The clean floors, the paycheck, your friends..." Kael would go on for hours, mentally reminding himself of everything he enjoyed. And among all of these "positive" things was the smell. Oh god, the smell. People could give that coffee shop criticism and a half for an innumerable amount of things, but never the smell of freshly ground coffee beans.

Kael had just finished making a cappuccino for some girl who had just left. A regular. She came in every morning and ordered the same thing. Kael never caught her name himself, but he always wrote "Nina" on the coffee cup. Aside from the usual "Hello" and "Here's your cup!", Kael had never spoken to her as a person, but he was very good at reading people. And while she never revealed much about herself, she always seemed... Troubled. Like her mind was running a mile per minute and she could hardly keep up. A plight he could understand well.

But never mind her, he had a shop to attend to! Kael started wiping down the counters and kept aware for any more customers who would need his help.

Character: Serena Adair
Area: Stoop across the street from the Coffee Shop.

Another grey afternoon. Fitting for a city with as dreary a reputation as New Narren. Sitting on an abandoned stoop across from her brother's work, Serena sat looking up at the monotone clouds. On days like these she really could fit in with the scenery. Dull and insignificant.

A cool breeze decided to dance around Serena's head, making her long hair fly into her face and ruffling the newspaper she held in her hands. Sweeping her tangled mane to one side, she let out a low huff and angrily folded the paper in her lap. Another person murdered. In her city. Although crime was not an unusual occurrence in New Narren, and people were killed by unlawful activities on a weekly basis, these deaths had an all too...unnatural smell to them.

It had been too long since she had found one of them hiding among her people. Wolves in sheep's clothing...taking advantage of the weak and innocent, overrunning the flock and causing a trail of blood in their wake. The recent string of murders had all the tell-tale signs of being the work of a supernatural, and Serena's anger seethed every time a new body was found.

"I need to step up my game...this obviously is the work of more than one creature." She thought to herself. The sound of a chiming bell across the street brought her out of her musings. She watched as a girl left the coffee shop, eyes glued to the phone in her hand. Serena saw her nearly every time she waited for her brother to get off work. A regular customer for certain. Nothing ever struck the her as suspicious or unnatural, so Serena never paid much attention to the girl. Taking out her phone she noticed it was a little after 2:00pm.

"Well, might as well get out of this wind." Serena sighed, as she got up from her post and walked across to the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Elfie
Interacting With: Serena Adair

The bell above the coffee shop's entrance rang as a new customer entered. Her windswept hair drew back from her face as she entered the establishment. Everything about the woman seemed effortless. Her hair, her looks, even the way she walked. To most she was an unapproachable personification of "If looks could kill". But to Kael, she was just Serena.

"Hey..." Kael said to her as she walked in with a forced smile. He always started to fade at this point in the day, putting on a happy facade all day tired him out. She probably came to pick up Izzy from work. Those two were thick as thieves, even for adopted siblings.

Kael scooted a cup of black coffee right next to the cash register, where Serena could see it. He gave her a knowing "look" as she approached the counter.

She never ordered anything else. Always a very plain cup of coffee. It took Izzy a couple years to convince her that it was okay to "spice up" an order every once in a while. Her solution? A splash of milk into her incredibly bland coffee.

Serena was a work in progress. But Kael seemed to like her just fine. In many ways, he could relate to her. They might've been really good friends if Kael allowed himself to open up to anyone aside from Izzy.

"He should be here in a minute" Kael said.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Interacting With: Kael Archer
Owner(s) of Other Character(s): @Elfie

Serena didn't "dislike" Kael, but she didn't particularly "care" for him either. He always seemed so unsure of himself, which automatically set off alarm bells in Serena's head when then the two first met. If it weren't for Izzy's constant reassurance that he was a great guy to work with and just a little shy, she would have done a stake out of his residence by now...

Ok, so maybe she HAD followed him home after Izzy first got hired at the shop, but she does that will ALL his new co-workers. You can never be too careful in a city like New Narren. And besides, a hunter's job is never done.

Kael never showed any signs of the unnatural when she first started keeping an eye on him, and Izzy was fond of the guy, so she decided to lay off the barista for the time being. Serena trusted her brother, but always felt a need to keep an eye out for him. He trusted too easy.

Sitting down at her normal spot at the counter, Serena muttered a thanks to the bespectacled man as he scooted a fresh cup of coffee over to her. After being assured her brother would be in shortly, Serena took out her phone and began to browse the local news network. Keeping her eyes on the screen, she tried to look engrossed in the media in order to avoid any idle chit-chat with the barista.

Yep. Definitely not a people person.

Character: Izzy Leonard
Interacting With: Kael, Serena
Owner(s) of Other Character(s): @Elfie @GinjaNinja

Izzy, being the completely responsible adult that he is, stumbled into the coffee shop door with his hair a mess and shirt untucked. His wide eyes were a clear sign of alertness, although the growing darkness under them showed just how tired he was. He locked eyes with Kael and walked over immediately, tucking in the white button-up. "I'm so sorry I'm late," Izzy said in a hushed tone to his coworker, "There was another checkpoint on Reinken Street. Seems like they're everywhere nowadays."

The checkpoints had grown more frequent as more murders happened. At first he didn't mind it, but the workers that checked him seemed to grow more and more aggressive when he saw them. Izzy didn't enjoy the way they looked at him like he was, well, a monster. He also supposed that nobody enjoyed to be looked like that and that he wasn't special, but still.

Kael always made him feel better though. Knowing that he had a good friend to rely on was comforting, especially in these times. There were a few times where the 23 year old would question why he still lived in this city, but when he got his paycheck he remembered exactly why.

The boy walked into the back area to retrieve his name tag and make himself presentable for the customers. Once he looked slightly decent, Izzy walked back out and went straight to the orders, doing his prep work for the day. While he was doing so the brunette glanced up to see his sister, and a smile instantly graced his lips as he called out to her. "Serena, hi!" What a pleasant surprise! "What are you doing here? Waiting for me to get off again? I thought I told you I work later shifts now."

Interacting With: Kael, Izzy
Owner(s) of Other Character(s): @Elfie @StarCaster

Serena looked up from her phone, "Wait, what do you mean he will be here in a minute?" she asked Kael in confusion. Just then the door to the shop burst open and Izzy rushed in, disheveled and looking exhausted. After muttering something about checkpoints, her brother went to the back of the shop to change into the appropriate attire. Serena waited patiently until Izzy re-emerged and finally noticed her presence.

Now she was miffed. "Late shifts? Since when did you start working late shifts?" She responded in a clipped tone. Sure, she could be out as late as she liked, she was a hunter. Hunting was done 80% at night. Izzy on he other hand, was more...pessimistic, to be put nicely. Having her brother working late hours did NOT sit well with Serena, and in turn she needed to blame someone. That fell on her dear bother's boss.

Turning her glare from her brother to Kael, Serena drew her mouth into a thin line as she asked the barista, "Since when did you give Izzy night shifts?"

Interacting With: Serena, Izzy
Owner(s) of Other Character(s): @GinjaNinja @StarCaster

What?

Kael stared blankly at Serena. His eyes stared deep into hers for what seemed like an eternity.

She's kidding, right?

"I'm sorry...?" He asked, "I don't assign schedules..." As a rule of thumb, Kael always avoided conflict whenever possible. But here this girl was, immediately attacking him for something he had no control over. Most people would have dealt with the incredibly disillusioned woman in a healthy way... Kael knew this. But there was something tugging at the back of his mind: Is she kidding? Is she for real?

"I... I suppose I could take his shift, It's not..." He wanted desperately to disappear. The voices were growing louder and louder, he closed his eyes and wished for Serena to leave.

• Love
Interacting With: Kael, Serena
Owner(s) of Other Character(s): @Elfie @GinjaNinja

Izzy was about to answer her question when suddenly it seemed like the damn Fire Nation attacked. The daggers that Serena was throwing at his coworker and friend were enough to make even Izzy nervous, and he was the one being coddled here.

"Hey hey, why don't we just go back to whatever we were doing before, hmm? I'll get you a cinnamon roll and Kael?" He turned his look to his best friend, an apologetic smile awkwardly sitting there. "I'll try to make it up to you later, okay?" His voice was dropped to a quieter, more intimate tone. He really felt bad.

Izzy nodded without letting the other two say another word, confirming that the little confrontation was over once he said so. As promised he did get his sister a cinnamon roll and sighed quietly once they were together.

"You know Serena, I can't keep losing jobs because you don't trust my coworkers. I know you're just watching over me but.. I'm your older brother. I can handle myself." He let a gentler atmosphere settle around him while slipping the plate in front of her. A golden cinnamon roll was placed perfectly in the center, drizzled with delicious white icing. "That being said.. I'm glad you're here. I needed to let you know that ah.. I think it would be good if you stayed in the apartment with me for at least a few days. I've been hearing.. talk about things in your department being close by. The old ladies down the corridor keep chatting me up about locking my door." A rosy color appeared for a brief second to go along with his embarrassment of leaving the door unlocked frequently. He was forgetful sometimes.

Area: Coffee Shop, on his way to the pawn shop
Interacting With: Serena, Izzy
Owner(s) of Other Character(s): @StarCaster @GinjaNinja

Kael saw his opening and he took it, ducking out of the conversations the first chance he got. He'd known Izzy long enough that he knew when Kael was having... An episode. Quickly, Kael closed out the register and finished doing the last few chores given to him.

"What a piece of work." he thought to himself, "I can't believe I got set off that easily... Hopefully when I get what I need my problems will be solved." a pained smile stretched across his face. The idea of a simple solution to his problems was great and all, but honestly, what were the odds a fix would be so easy? His powers were growing, and his dark side was becoming a bigger presence in his subconscious.

"The pawn shop." he thought, "It'll be fine..."

No it won't

"It'll be fine." he reminded himself over and over again, he couldn't let the negativity win out again. He took off his apron and through the door, waving to Izzy as he left. Izzy was also after a pair of glasses he'd seen at the shop earlier that day. Just another thing to grab... If it was still there, that is.

Interacting With: Kael, Izzy
Owner(s) of Other Character(s): @Elfie @StarCaster

Her sudden irritation for Kael and her brother's new schedule dampened considerably with Izzy's words. Ok, so maybe she did jump the gun a little, but from what she understood, Kael was her brother's supervisor. In her mind, that meant he was in charge. Whoops. Still, the look Kael gave Serena during their confrontation...shook her. "Did I miss something here? Maybe I should have continued watching this guy..."

Refusing to look Izzy in the eye, Serena glared silently at her cinnamon roll. Damn her temper. She hated being in the wrong, apologizing was NOT her forte. A wave of guilt washed over her as she thought of all the trouble she caused her brother...but how could she not want to protect him? He screamed "Mug me! I'm harmless!" 24/7! Serena's attention was immediately grabbed at the mention of "her department" by her brother. Looking up she saw how uncomfortable he was talking about her line of work...and admitting he left his door open so often. "Haven't I taught you anything?" she thought, as a small, rare smile graced her lips.

"Is this your way of asking me to be your bodyguard? You know you don't have to ask Izzy...I already follow you around on a regular basis." She teased with a wink

"But really, you should listen to Mrs. Hammond and Keller. Since you won't heed MY advice and lock your door, like any sane person would in this city."

Area: Pawn Shop
Interacting With: Maeyris
Owner(s) of Other Character(s): @k-michelle412

It was a short walk to the pawn shop. The cloudy day made Kael feel a little better and calmed him down considerably. "Maybe It'll rain." he thought. He was a weird one. Most people loved one extreme over another, but Kael always felt perfectly at home in the wind and rain and at a campfire. The hot and cold. He was, logically, a supernatural creature and would therefore have a few likes that were different from the average person. And while this was small, he noted it as a strange comfort.

A mere few minutes passed before he came across the pawn shop. It was beautiful and decadent, far more than an average little shop would be.

He breathed deep, "Here we go, Kael." and entered the establishment. He was on a mission, looking past everything that wasn't obviously what he needed. He was unsure if the clerk had seen him, but it didn't take him long to come across what he needed. A black book caught his eye, it looked as if it had been burnt in a fire, with barely legible writing that read, "An Anthology of Evil Beasts #47: The Enenra"

For once in his life, he felt... Still. There was no subtle unrest deep within him. There was no need to put on a facade. This is what he'd been looking for. He held the book tight, looking around for the pair of glasses Izzy was so interested in.

Reactions: k-michelle412
Interacting With: Serena
Owner(s) of Other Character(s): @GinjaNinja

Izzy opened his mouth to protest but nothing came out. She was right, he did need to get into the habit of locking his door, but he just always had so many things going through his mind that a door hardly seemed important.

A huff escaped, "I don't need a bodyguard, I'm just saying... you know..." He didn't like to admit things just like her, so when it came to dangerous situations he always went about it in a roundabout way. Talking about dark subjects always made him a little uncomfortable given his cheery disposition. He just didn't like negativity, which is why he always tried his best to keep Kael happy. Kael was just as important to him as Serena was.

A new customer filed in, giving Izzy the red flag to continue working. "I get off at nine tonight and I'm going straight back to the apartment so if you want to get there before me, well... you already know it's unlocked." He gave her a reassuring smile, the smile of an older brother, and politely stepped away to go greet the new customer. As he got their order Izzy couldn't help but continue to think about what was happening.

The rumor of monsters attacking people near his apartment complex was unsettling to say the least. He had gotten to know all the residents at one point or another and would feel absolutely dreadful if he saw even one of them go missing. Izzy was just naturally caring for the people around him and he knew Serena was the same way, just more... direct.

He sighed softly under his breath, thoughts swirling around in his brain. Even if he tried to avoid it he couldn't help but worry. Worrying was his life. 'I'll have to make sure all the windows are locked at night too. Maybe I should warn the other neighbors? I need to warn Kael too...' Izzy began to really think about that. Kael might have been special in this situation but that didn't mean he couldn't get hurt by other beings too. Everyone was dangerous, especially humans.

He would just have to dead with the pressure of these thoughts until he got off of work.

Character: Maeyris
Interacting with: Kael
Owner of Char: @Elfie

Maeyris heard the door chime as a customer stepped inside. Her lithe frame was hidden among the various objects she had as whomever went ahead on their own. They were looking for something specific. Maeyris' lips slid into a wry smile as she moved soundlessly between the isles. Her eyes landed on a male with short cropped and and thin frames on his face. She took in his frame as he picked up a little black book. Maeyris's eyes flashed with mischief as she knew just what book he'd picked up. The way relief flooded his body only piqued her interested.

Maeyris moved across the isle towards the male. As she came around him she trailed a finger over his shoulders as she circled him, ending to his left, peering at the book. Maeyris looked up sat Kael through her thick lashes as she gave him a knowing look. "Now what would you need with a book like this," Maeyris chimed. Of course she already knew what kind of uses came with this book but what did he need it for. That was the real question.

• Love
Interacting with: Maeyris
Owner of Char: @k-michelle412

Kael jumped. "HOLY--" he spun around to face the woman. He wasn't certain what he said exactly, but went something along the lines of, "I--I--This, uh... just need... " along with a bunch of other gibberish that flooded his speech. Really he was floored. Not just by a person surprising him, but rather who surprised him. She looked like some kind of greek goddess you only see in books.

He held the book close to his chest and said quietly, "...Curiosity...?" He grabbed the pair of glasses Izzy wanted which were, coincidentally, on a nearby shelf. They were frames, made of black wood with beautiful and intricate swirls and designs etched into the side and rims.

A big fake smile stretched across Kael's face, "Can I..?" he said motioning to the cash register.

• Love
Reactions: StarCaster
[fieldbox="Frankie Taggart, hotpink, dashed"]Character: Frankie Taggart
Interacting with: Izzy
Owner of Other Character: @StarCaster

Frankie approached the little coffee shop with some trepidation. She was hoping to attract enough attention that she might pick up some new clientele, but there was always the risk, in a new location, of attracting the wrong kind of attention. Some people had very volatile reactions to her line of work.

She paused a moment outside to gather herself. There was a brisk wind, possibly a growing storm, and she envisioned that wind blowing through her and taking with it all of her worries and negative emotions. Then, murmuring a quick encouragement to herself, opened the door.

The smell of the place was the first thing she noticed. Good coffee, freshly ground. It set the whole tone for the place, really. She let herself relax a bit, but still placed one hand lightly on the belt-purse which contained her most cherished possession, just in case.

"'Scuze me," she drawled to the boy behind the counter. "Could I get a cuppa coffee, Sugar? Black, if it pleases ya."[/fieldbox]

Area: Pawn shop
Interacting with: Kael
Owner of Char: @Elfie

Maeyris took a step back. She tilted her chin up, eyeing Kael with a guarded gaze. He certainly was no human. He knew exactly what he was getting. All humans, save for hunters of course, that ventured into her store had no clue what they were getting their hands on. Maeyris could give a coded warning that they normally brushed off as just more of her eccentric flair. This man was not like them. He knew.

"Mmm, this way..." Maeyris said. She brushed past Kael and moved behind the glass counter. Beneath it were an array of pearls and rings and trinkets. Some looked to date back to ancient times; times Maeyris very much missed. Back then humans headed the warnings of Mystics. They feared the supernatural and kept safe guard. Now, people like Maeyris, people like Kael, were nothing but scary stories to tell in the dark.

"That will be thirty-five dollars," Maeyris said, holding out her hand. Once she was paid she placed the glasses, in a special clear case, and the book inside a bag. She handed it to Kael with mischief in her eyes. "Remember, curiosity killed the cat." Her eyes seemed to shine brighter for just a moment as she watched the other being. He was no human, but he was interesting.

Interacting with: Maeyris
Owner of Char: @k-michelle412

Kael forced a small chuckle as he handed over the cash. The woman's eyes pierced his soul. In an instant, it was like she could see through him.

She knows something

He took the bag and held it close to his chest. He looked back up at Maeyris, his eyes glowed like a candle as he confessed, "I'm afraid a lot more things might die than the cat if curiosity doesn't bare any fruit." he smiled sheepishly before thanking her for his purchases and turning towards the shop exit.

Area: pawn shop
Interacting with: N/A
Owner of Char: N/A

Maeyris followed Kael to the door, watching from her doorstep as he disappeared down the street. She hummed softly in curiosity at what he had said. I'm afraid a lot more things nights die than the cat if curiosity bare any fruit. "Interesting," she sighed softly before she went back inside. Her eyes swept over her various items, they landed on a withering rose bush near her beaded curtain. She tilted her head as she eyed it. That was highly unusual.

Maeyris walked over and knelt beside the plant. Her fingertips brushed over the petals of the dying plant. Slowly it began to swell and revive. The once drooping stem straightened. The leaves began brighter and the petals opened up. Maeyris smiled as the rose bush was returned to it thriving state. Her green eyes slid towards the door. Things were happening in this town...bad things...and they were about to get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.