Extra Income through Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who isn't asking this question, really?

Honestly, I think the first step is setting up realistic expectations. Finding a job that utilizes your writing some is better than one that does not at all. Most companies allow a little wiggle room once you get in and have proven your skill. Small businesses love multi-talented employees and large businesses often create positions to supplement their actual marketing departments/agencies. While you'll probably spend your time on something less directly related to writing, you will be building other marketable skills. Eventually, you can use this experience to find a more satisfying position.

The above is basically what I did. I worked for a college just about a year in a position that was responsible for a variety of things, including social media for the department. I made friends with the marketing team proper and was able to contribute to the college's blog and newsletter in that time too. After a year I took a social media manager position for a small cannabis business. That role expanded to all marketing, including a blog, newsletter, marketing plans, and events as more stores opened. Now all that may not be great pieces of fiction, but writing is a much greater part of my work than it was a few years ago and the income is above average for an American my age. I still write after work too.

Decide what field is enough to make you feel fulfilled and will get you to your dream. Social Media could work for you too, but so could freelancing for a few newspapers (web or print), writing copy for websites, working as an associate editor for a publisher, or finding a marketing assistant job. Getting the experience is going to open up doors to you that'll get you closer to your ideal writing-work life. I'm open to giving advice over PM if you have specific questions too.

• Useful
Reactions: Izurich
It sounds like you actually have experience getting paid for writing, or know somebody who does. Either way, I find it astonishing some people are capable of publishing multiple titles, regardless of length, in a year. It's also worth noting some famous authors like HP Lovecraft pretty much launched their careers writing for literary magazines, and a lot of Lovecraft's works were turned down. In a way, that's encouraging; one of the grand daddies of horror didn't always succeed, so it pays off to keep trying in the long run.
I do have knowledge of how publishing works in general but if you ask me about specific rights, agent relationships, marketing, etc. I'm lost, haha. I know pretty much up to when you actually get an offer on your table, because that seems to be more or less "depends on who your publisher is, depends on who your editor is, depends on who your agent is".

Also note if you do the literary magazine route: a "good" chance is generally below 95% rejection rate for reputable, long-standing magazines. For pro-rate magazines you're looking at 96-99% rejection rates. I think the only one I know below would be Daily Science Fiction (~90% rejection rate- A WHOLE 10% CHANCE OF SELLING YOUR WORK!) because of the massive volume they publish.

In regards to publishing multiple works: it's significantly easier if your roughness is gone through by hiring an editor. However, if you're not in the habit of writing regularly then it'll be rough even if your editor will polish your work for you.

• Thank You
Reactions: Dervish
Not writing, but... I've been paid for my photography. Stuff like nature photography, city landcapes, and Tim Tebow (paid by a religious website)

Apparently, writing really weird and niche erotica is quite lucrative if you're able to pump out an obscene volume of novels.

And I do mean weird in the sense of shit like romancing goddamn dinosaurs.
Time for my cuttlefish shapeshifter gay erotica to hit the shelves.

Wait--

514rApiWQNL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

NOOOOOOOO

I know like 6 people off the top of my head who would read the hell out of that. :D
Hey, no judgement here. I know if I could find a series about a huge Orc/monster woman and some village girl/maid getting down (while still maintaining a strong sense of romance, character depth and plot intricacy) I would buy the paperback, hardcover, and Collector's Supreme Ultrabeast Triple Layer editions in a heartbeat.

Too bad lesbian anything is marketed almost entirely to straight dudes. Maybe I could write it.

Hey, no judgement here. I know if I could find a series about a huge Orc/monster woman and some village girl/maid getting down (while still maintaining a strong sense of romance, character depth and plot intricacy) I would buy the paperback, hardcover, and Collector's Supreme Ultrabeast Triple Layer editions in a heartbeat.

Too bad lesbian anything is marketed almost entirely to straight dudes. Maybe I could write it.
If it doesn't exist, I'd be shocked, shocked I'd say!

But as my own experiences with roleplays have suggested, usually if you really want something, you're going to have to make it yourself.

If it doesn't exist, I'd be shocked, shocked I'd say!

But as my own experiences with roleplays have suggested, usually if you really want something, you're going to have to make it yourself.
When I'm making millions from my array of sweaty niche novels, I'll be sure to write you a check.

Reactions: Dervish

There is a a host of Lesbian for Lesbian erotica out there, believe it or not. Apperently they sell pretty well. GO, BECOME RICH.

• Love
Reactions: Robeatics
It's like being a starving artist and doing commissions for furries.

You're probably disgusted in yourself but at least the electricity stays on for another month.

if I had artistic talent you'd better believe I'd be cranking out some nasty fetish shit for all that disposable income they have

Reactions: Darog
There is a a host of Lesbian for Lesbian erotica out there, believe it or not. Apperently they sell pretty well. GO, BECOME RICH.
This is it... my calling...

50 Shades of Bullshit gives me hope that anything is possible. Grind on, Padawan.

Status
Not open for further replies.