Exiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It came from my father." the woman answered begrudgingly.
"You told me it was our great great grandfather." Kyrie whispered astonished. Her mother sighed. "Kyrie I lied. Your grandather, my father...he and his wife were fascinated by humans. The leaders of Cloudis still resented them. Dad believed them to have changed so they left. athey brought that book to help edicated humans on the ways of Cloudis. They wanted to bring them together again." Her mother explained gently.
"I am full Cloudia, you Kyrie are half. That amulet hides it though..." Her mother turned to Saraph. "What do you mean it has brought my child damger?"

Saraph's dark purple gaze flattened and he took a step back. His wing curled behind his back, and his fingers tightened around the bridge of the book. He had never known why Naytal didn't like humans, but this seemed to be the reason why. He didn't immediately answer Kyrie's mother. There were too many thoughts in his head. How he'd managed to be found by the only half-Cloudi ever to be born was beyond him.

"A Balf attacked her in your home. She escaped, but not before being injured by him. It is impossible for him to be dead, and I fear that he will come again for the book, or for her, or even for me. I do not think he knows of me, but I will be seen as another complication. He will not be working alone, even if we believed them to be dead and gone many centuries ago. Before you came, I had suggested destroying the book, but she seems to be opposed to such an idea. Besides, if your predecessor took the book from the island, even if he is what I am, it does not belong to you."

Kyries mother was about to retort when Kyrie stepped in. "Hey! Stop fighting!" She scooted between the two seperating them like children. "Look Saraph you cant just take the book because it doesnt belong to you either. Mom...I dont even know what to say to you But, if this balf thing is coming, we need to have some sort of plan or something." Kyrie took a deep breath surpressing all of her worry and confusion and doubt. "Kyrie you cant possibly-" "Mom, I mad a promise to help Saraph home. I gotta keep it." Kyries mother was silent then a smile broke out on her face. "Alright. Ill call the family in" Her moyher stood and headed towards the phone. "Wait theres more?!"

Saraph had been about to say that destroying the book was their best option, but Kyrie slipped in between them. Saraph took a step back to avoid her touch, and he stayed silent as they spoke. At the mention of more family, he only held the book tighter and kept his thoughts to himself. These people wouldn't be surprised at his presence, but he would be at theirs, he already knew.

Kyrie glanced over at Saraph and noticed how tense he was. "Saraph..." she stopped not knowing what to say. He was obviously uncomfortable and had a death grip on the book. "Why...why do you want to destroy the book?..."

"This information is too valuable to let it fall into the hands of the Balves. If they believe they have a chance to take it, they will. It is why the one in your mother's home attacked you, no? They will not rest until they have it, or you. You know its location, and if they take you, they will demand to know where it is. That is why you cannot be without protection. If it is destroyed, then there is nothing to tell them, because you would not know where it had gone." There was no relaxation in his hands or in his eyes. Saraph, someone who was normally so calm, was unable to do anything but wish he could panic. Balves were dangerous, and he never wanted to encounter one. If they did, he would be nearly defenseless.

Kyrie paused. He had a point. She didn't want to admit it but Saraph was right. Aparently Kyries mother had been listening because a light laugh and the click of her replacing the reciever were heard. Kyries mother stood, arms crossed, with a smirk. Kyrie sighed this was why, as she.grew older, she distanced herself from her. Her mother held an air of superiority. "Mom..." Kyrie could feel a snarky remark itching to be e said by her mother.

Saraph decided that he didn't like Kyrie's mother. She might have been a full Cloudi, but she certainly didn't act like one. Maybe she'd been raised as a human. Saraph's good wing curled around his arm holding the book, but he didn't move. "Why did your predecessors decide they did not like the island? We possess everything we need to live, and the humans could not take that from us." Saraph didn't talk about how he'd wanted to know more about the humans. This wasn't the way he'd wanted to find out.

Kyrie's mother was silent for a long time. She chose her words carefully as she began to speak. "When my father came here, it was in the name of research. He was told to come down here, and because he had a personal interest in the subject, he was chosen. I was told that there were a section of Cloudi that wanted to come back. To them, this was still home. My father was to learn first hand how well we could blend in." Kyrie's mother pulled out a pendant of her own. "He created these so that we appeared more human. His commisioner abandoned the project once he learned that he had to blend in instead of standout. They didn't understand it was not like old times when we roamed in our true forms. There were still those that were willing to disquise themselves. That is who I am referring to as family. We are not related by blod or marriage, but comradarie. We are all on the same boat. Many of them are still on good terms with many Cloudi and can get this message to them. But you," Kyrie's mother walked toward Saraph. "Why are you here." She eyed his broken wing. "You did not come of here of free will, why is that."
"Mom, heh, uh why don't we just focus on Balves..." Kyrie interjected. She had submitted Saraph to enough stress with arguing over the book. Hell he probably was still going through culture shock for all she knew.
"Hush Kyrie, do you even know?" Her mother asked almost condescendingly.
"Yes I do thank you very much! And I don't care about it either, he's been nice enough, it's only be a day." Kyrie grumbled arms crossed. Her mother gave a fake, loud laugh. "Twenty-four hours and you already risk your life for someone you don't even know?! Have I not taught you anything?" Her mother asked incredulous.
"Yeah, you taught me how not to be! So what if it was twenty-four hours...it's just an ankle anyway." Kyrie huffed. Seriously where did her mother get off?
"Yeah and it could have been much more!" Her mother shot back. Her worry was obvious in this statement.

((sorry this turned out so dramatic >.O))

((Haha, no worries. :3 I don't mind drama.))

Not for the first time since he'd been on Earth, Saraph wished he was home. He missed the ever-present, slight breeze of the Island, or of the winged people he called his own. Humans seemed to yell a lot more, finding their emotions more frenzied and wild. Saraph didn't want to hear them anymore. As much as he respected books, the Cloudi slammed the text to the ground, generating a loud and solid thud!

"You will be silent," he said, and it didn't seem like it was up for discussion. "There are other matters that require our attention. Your bickering will solve nothing. I have only come into contact with Kyrie for one day, yes, but she has been helpful. I have requested her assistance in returning home, because I want nothing more than that. I am sorry that she was attacked by a Balf. This was something I did not think possible, but I did not wish it upon her." He remembered that she wanted to know why she was here. It certainly wasn't for the Balves.

"You are correct in observing that I was forced here. I was exiled from my home because they believed I had committed a murder, even though I did not. I simply wish to return home and clear my name. If you do not wish to help me, you are not required to. I only ask that if you should decide you wish me to leave, you destroy this book. I believe the Balves are seeking to destroy my home, and they are attempting to discover ways to avoid the perpetual storm. The fewer ways they have to find this information, the better. As it currently stands, I, Kyrie, and this book are the only things with this knowledge. Your daughter is in danger as long as there is a Balf that knows she understands the island as I do."

Kyrie's mother sighed. "There are more books much like that one, most of which are owned by Cloudi still living. There is one, specific to the magic of Cloudi in my parents old home. I will give you the address and a pendent to disguise yourself so that you may travel outside but, I will not be a part of this." Kyrie rolled her eyes, of course. "I have a family, as do the other Cloudi. We are peaceful and want to stay that way." The woman wrote down the address on a piece of paper, handing it and a small purple pendant to Saraph. "I'm sorry for your misfortune and that I cannot be of service." Her mother left without another word.
Kyrie sank onto the couch with a sigh. "Can I see that address?" She asked quietly holding out her hand. Guess it's just us again.... She thought slightly sadened.

Of course there were more books. Saraph and his fellow Cloudis had been told that their existence had been wiped from the Earth, so humans wouldn't try to reach them. Why Kyrie's predecessors felt it necessary to go against that, he would never know. It just made him... angry. Saraph never felt angry. This woman and her family had ruined the peace inside of him. Not that being exiled didn't already disrupt that, but now, he would have to stay and deal with the Balf issue before he could even think of going home.

The mother's proximity snapped him from his thoughts and he almost stepped away from her. However, she simply gave him a note and a pendant. It flared when he touched the stone, and there was a tingle on his chest where it rested as he slipped it over his neck. The tattoo on his arm glowed a soft violet as his clawed fingers and toes shortened to normal, human nails. His ears rounded, though the earrings remained. His eyes lightened to a indigo and the feathers wound in his hair disappeared. His wings were the final pieces to go. They turned transparent and melted into his back before they were gone. He could still feel the weight, but he couldn't stretch them open. It was strange not to see them, even if he knew it was necessary.

He sat down beside Kyrie, handing her the paper. With the book beside him, Saraph leaned back against the couch. His wings no longer impeded his ability to press against a wall, and it was odd, but welcomed. However, he couldn't dwell on the feeling. One hand covered his face as he thought of their predicament. "Your family has strange views," was all he could say.

Kyrie stared in amazment as Saraph transformed before her. It was a little strange to see him...human. "Woah..." He was sort of cute?
Kyrie shook that from her mind looking down at the paper. She had never met her grandparents, they just sent gifts. They lived a few states away in Rhode Island. "Looks like we have a road trip." Kyrie said slightly apprehensive. "That means you need clothes." She stated. They would have to stop at a store before they left. Luckily it was only about four hours away so they'd make it there within the day.

Saraph didn't think he required clothing, but she was human. She knew better than him. So he nodded, glancing down at the paper again. "It is likely that Balves will try to attack your mother if they are aware she and the rest of your family have the knowledge to reach the island." Maybe there weren't as many Balves as he was thinking, and maybe her family could kill them.

The thought left as quickly as it came. Balves were notorious reproducers, generating as many quick-growing children as they could so they could keep their population up. Because Balves enjoyed fighting, they often killed one another, so as long as there were a few females, they were able to have children. If that was the case, there was no way their population on Earth was less than two hundred. They outnumbered the Cloudis on the Island two to one.

A heavy sigh escaped him. He didn't want to think about the destruction of his home. He wanted to save it. "Should we leave now? This... road trip... Do you expect it to take very long?"

"Yeah just let me get a few things." Kyrie walked to her room pulling out two changes of clothes. Searching through her closet she found two old oversized hoodies. Maybe they didn't have to go to the store after all. The pants Saraph was wearing should be fine for their trip. She grabbed them, a bag, some food and her car keys. She held up one of the hoodies, sizing it against Saraph's torso. "This should fit, that way we don't waist time. It should only take about four hours." She fold the clothes stuffing them into the bag, along with their food. "Think they know about the book yet?" She asked. If they had found the one at her mothers who knew if they had already gotten the one from her grandparents.

Saraph almost flicked his wings at her approach with the sweater, but he had to remind himself he didn't have them anymore. Not with the amulet hanging around his neck. The weight of the stone bothered him, like it was harboring the darkest of secrets. And in a way, it was.

Saraph watched her pack things away before they left her house. "If they are aware of this book, then I have little doubt that they are aware of others. I do not think they have the location discovered, but, given time, they will find it. If the trip is as short as you say, then we should arrive before any Balves do." Saraph glanced down at the ground, knowing Kyrie's ankle was injured. "Will you be able to operate your vehicle with your wounded foot?"

Kyrie waved it off. "I'll be fine." She opened his door for him before walking around to her own. Truthfully her ankle caused her a lot of pain. Kyrie started the car, gingerly pressing on the gas. Her ankle screamed for her to not use it but she ignored it. She had to do this she made a promise. "What's Cloudis like?" Kyrie asked Saraph as she drove towards her grandparents home. It was as much a distraction from her ankle as it was curiosity in wanting to know where he was from, where her parents were from.

Saraph climbed into the vehicle, sitting down on the cloth seat and inspecting the inside. It was small and short, as he found that his hair was licking the top of the roof. There were various buttons and knobs that he didn't know what to do with. The wheel in the other seat he deduced as the tool that helped the car's wheels turn. The engine rumbled as she started the car, and Saraph found he didn't like the constant, mechanical ambient noise. But he said nothing. He would have preferred to fly, but Kyrie had no wings and his own was broken.

Saraph didn't speak until she asked what his home was like. A comfortable question. "It is nothing like you have ever seen, I am certain of that. Our air is clean, and there are not so many of us that we are overcrowded like humans are here. The animals that inhabit the island with us are strange mixes, and the trees are different colors. We are... free in our home. We have little worry of anything. Your life as a human seems... stressed. Busy. We are not like that on the island."

Kyrie smiled softly. "Sound like heaven." She giggled softly but she meant it. Cloudis did seem like a paradise, the way Saraph described it at least. "You know Earth really isn't that bad. Its busy and fast but its fun. Have you ever heard of an amusement park?" Kyrie asked curious. Did they have those on Cloudis?

The roads had very few cars on them and Kyrie drove easily along the interstate. Every so often she would glance over at him. It was still strange seeing him...human. Kyrie could easily tell he felt cramped in the car, then again he's probably never been inside one before. "These....balves...why are they trying to destroy Cloudis?" Kyrie wanted to get as much information as she could.

Status
Not open for further replies.