Eureka Academy: First Semester [SU/OOC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it;s worth though, I would like to say that the simple fact that you were willing and ready to say 'Oh, sorry about that, i see what yo mean now, didn't mean to offend' shows me that you;re not a bad apple. I've GMed a few rps of my own in my time and really bad players are the ones who can't take any criticism and try to act like they're king shit. you didn't do any of that, so for me that speaks volumes on what kind of person you are and I like what I see.

so all that being said, i really do encourage you to come back after you've learned the ropes a bit and show us what kind of character you can make ^_^.

also, if you need any help navigating the site, I would suggest you ask @Diana to help you. she is on nearly every day and is really good with helping new members (she has helped me out quite a bit in the month since i migrated to iwaku from Roleplayerguild).

>Incoming update

So, because of many difficulties regarding my wifi situation at home, I'm now only going to be able to access the site via libraries/school computers/my phone. As such, my replies might take a little longer to appear.

>End of update

Alright guys, I'm gonna give this a try and hope for the best.

I don't mind making any revisions if you find any problems with it

Name: Walther Pagras

Race: Human

Class: Soldier/Knight

Title: Student

Sect Study: Arma - White

Appearance: Being 6'1, You could easily find Walther in a crowd, a somewhat large and muscular figure, with smooth and neatly trimmed hair. He sported a modest lumberjack's beard,and intense black eyes that was always flitting around, scanning every object and detail of the environment. He had very little blemishes and a slightly rugged complexion that was overall clean.

Under his armor, he bore a padded leather tunic, and a protective pair of leather leggings, his overall figure looked balanced and steady in all occasions, you can't imagine him wearing a noble's robe or a mage's vestments. He is almost always seen wearing a full array of steel plate armor, and a marksman's helmet. He very much resembled that of a mercenary, but at the same time, unlike one.

Personality: Silence tends to be this man's best friend, he usually speaks when spoken to, but there are rare occasions where he carries a conversation, and he tends to talk more to those whom he has opened up to (but those are rare occasions nonetheless) He is loyal to those who do good by his side, and genuinely a good man, though he often aligns himself to "Lawful Neutral" in most cases.

He is genuinely afraid of people sporting strange features, or unknown races, very little people know why he is like this, they just know that he becomes 'unsettled'. That is not to say he despises them, or hates them, nor would he back out of a fight with one. He tries to be patient with others, though that does not tend to be the case, he has a relatively short temper, inquisitive, constantly adapting and learning things, be it through overhearing a conversation, or gaining knowledge from an opponent's styles of fighting or personality.

There is something that really separates him from other people when talking about personality. It is his mental strength that truly guides him, should his physical prowess fail. Unlike many men, his mind is a steel fortress, unattainable, unless voluntarily given. This would also be true with control magicks and seduction. In a fight, where everyone is down for the count, Walther would be the first to pick himself up and continue, regardless of pain and inner conflict. You could say, what he lacks for in physical prowess, his willpower makes up for it.

Though he does seek to change himself and hopefully this new world around him, some things never change, he brings essence of the fear, hatred and alienating of his past, that he has been trying to forget into his current surroundings. Meeting these beast-folk, wizards, and witchcraft of all kinds, it will be something that he must adapt to despite all odds. He will stick to humans, and whatever familiarities he can find. Inside, though he is above all others in his past, he would still find less remorse cutting down another "heretic" as he would call it, or avoid them outright.

Magic was also something new to him, he did not know what to think of it. It was neither a concept, nor an element or restricted by any means. It was something too powerful for one to control. A person with that much power should surely be restrained in some way, lest it would be left to fester and grow until it begins to swallow worlds. He began to think like the church had, and It was something maddening to him, he had crossed entire worlds, so that he may become individual from them so that he may embrace a new life...but it still lingered inside him. Was the church right? Was abolishing elements of the world better for the sake of humanity? There are times when he thinks what could have been if he had stayed. Regardless, magic existed whether he liked it or not, and he certainly did not like it. Though he has yet to fight a mage, or another race for that matter, it would be something worth overcoming.

"Through knowledge, I shall find power. Through power, I shall find choice...And through choice, I shall find destiny." -Walther Pagras

Weapon(s): He carries your standard longsword for close combat, it is a both balanced and tough weapon, wielded in two hands and an ideal choice for most warriors. He is capable of using shields along side a one-handed sword, though he will lose reach, as well as swinging force in favor of a combination of defensive power and speed. He also carries with him a rather uncanny weapon, It has been famously known as a "Kingslayer Arbalest" It gets it's name from it's reputation of being used by many famous kingslayers, being able to turn tides of wars itself. The arbalest was nearly half Walther's size, it fires bolts with unmatched strength, range and precision, it has the force to knock entire castle walls down with repeated hits, however due to it's large size and handling, Reloading it is a pain, a skilled user could fire 3 bolts per minute, for it takes a strong man to pull back the drawstring of the bow. There are very few weapons of this kind in the world due to the fact the components of this item are no longer available, and therefore a rather pricy, and hard to use weapon to get your hands on.
(I can post some lore about it's origins if you want.)

Abilities/Magic:
Clarity
: His mind is focused and clear on a task, and the borders of his reasoning and rationality are sharp, distractions will have very little effect on him.
Precision: Whenever possible, he tries to visualize every perspective in the environment, seeking out weak points more easily than the normal eye, and being able to hit them as well
Willpower: Attacks on his mind would have less effect on him, things like mind control, seduction would have difficulty penetrating his mental fortress of a mind.
Innovation: He constantly works to outwit his opponents, through creative and tactical thinking, being able to use the environment to his advantage is one of the perks, as well as being able to adapt to an opponent's fighting style
Endurance: He persists despite adversities, forcing himself forward, and picking himself up in times when a normal man cannot.
Chivalry: A knight by trade, he favors traditional swordplay that of a knight, which is usually associated with strong, sweeping attacks with powerful force behind them, though they are slow by nature. He was also bound to the code of chivalry, no matter how far he roamed.

Knights vowed to be loyal, generous, and "of noble bearing". Knights were required to tell the truth at all times and always respect the honour of women.

Knights not only vowed to protect the weak but also vowed to guard the honor of all fellow knights. They always had to obey those who were placed in authority and were never allowed to refuse a challenge from an equal. Knights lived by honor and for glory. Knights were to fear God and maintain His Church.

Knights always kept their faith and never turned their back on a foe. Knights despised pecuniary reward. They persevered to the end in any enterprise begun
History: Walther grew up in an almost alien world, it was humble medieval city, without shapeshifters, mages, or magic of any kind, in contrast to the vibrant diversity of magicks of today. Like every other man and woman, he was born without the power of magic, for it was considered witchcraft, and all forms of beastfolk, mages, and sanctums were crushed beneath the great crusades started by the church. Life in this world was as if time itself has stopped, there was no advancement, no change or excitement, it was comforting almost...But that would all stop too soon.

Now Walther was the son of Harold, a blacksmith by trade. Harold was a relatively stable man, with a good job, he met a noble woman and they got married, Walther was born some time after, his mother died giving birth. Skipping ahead a few years, he was at the age of 17, during that time there was rumors spreading of a necromancer, who had been up to unholy shenanigans. King Beyrinn Rook, a now old man had slowly been neglecting his army, and their numbers dwindled over the years following the kingdom being unified in throughout the crusade, through that, many men went into the mercenary business, and watchtowers and outposts went abandoned...What was even more insulting to King Rook was that the necromancer had the nerve to take refuge in one of his own towers. People from nearby villages began reporting that the dead was rising around them, and the skies around the tower were always dark and stormy..During the crusades, everyone knew what that meant.. People were certain that witchcraft was at work there and the King immediately set a bounty on him, 600 gold pieces for his head. Walther at his age decided to embark on this journey to defeat the necromancer. This event was the apex of his boring life, and he decided to make the most of it. His father had no objections to his plea, he was an old knight before he became a smith, and he naturally taught him a bit of sword-play, and the code of chivalry, to which he became an adherent of. He was knighted by his father, and he was given his sword that he had used during the days of the crusades.

Walther, the quiet and studious son of a blacksmith was taken, and honed, he didn't necessarily enjoy the process, nor did he approve in the first place.. but it happened nonetheless. To be honest, he was dulled by this world he grew to live in. In his eyes, the world was losing color, and turning gray. The longer he lived, the more gray it became. There was something else that his father wanted him to have, apparently he had found a schematic for a kingslayer arbalest, and he devoted much of his life to recreating one. The schematic itself would have been worth entire horse-carts full of gold. His father had collected nearly all the components to complete it, however it was missing one last piece, it was supposedly the drawstring. The only wood that could be used to make a fine cord of it was Ironwood, a supposedly enchanted species of trees that was no longer around after the crusades. His father believed that he would find the missing component there, it was the closest thing that they would ever come to involving magic reagents. So there it was, he slung the incomplete crossbow around his back and set off to the necromancer's castle.

Traversing the lands was relatively easy, given the fact that very few bandits exist nowadays, he would occasionally meet another mercenary setting off to defeat the necromancer, all of them more or less armed than Walther, who carried a sword and armor with him. Other than that, it was simply easy. When the tower was in view, just over a hill, he saw piles and piles of bodies smoldering before it, it seemed that all who tried, had been smitten. There was a shambling corpse here and there feasting upon a corpse, it was truly a grotesque scene that could be recalled in vivid detail from Walther. He could have just turned and left there, to the quiet, gray and familiar lands, where he would live out the rest of his life. But he did not turn back, for what he saw was more real than anything else he had ever seen. It seemed that he had tasted his first sense of reality, and he knew this chance would never arise again. It was a terrifying experience indeed, walking over corpses and bodies, not knowing which one would rise up and kill you, but death was all-too common in his lands, with sickness and plague spreading in poorer districts of cities, infected peasants meandering around were like zombies nonetheless. It appeared by good fortune that he had made it inside the tower, who's gates had been dilapidated and broken, he ascended up the stairs quietly, sword drawn...only to find an old, frail, and dying man in his death-bed. That was the source of all evil, the master of darkness himself. He was surprised to find such an anticlimactic end. The necromancer, in his last dying hours had told Walther his dream, and his reasons of doing this. As a young boy growing up with a family in a dirty shack, he had found a necromancer's tome..And by stroke of luck he was one the very few that could still practice magic. He had left his family at a young age slowly becoming a master of this art. Walther simply asked him why he did it, and he responded that he, too was seeing the world slow down in time, and becoming gray. Practicing this was the only thing that kept him tethered to reality. Two men from different worlds and childhoods who had barely known each other had made a single connection, and nothing more. The old man began to cry, knowing that he had spent his life trying to be free of this world, but it was always out of reach. He died right there. When he looked around his quarters he had found a peculiar item, a piece of silver string, it was just as his father had described it to be..and it was. He had found the missing component to the arbalest and as expected, it was operable. He had also found the old man's journal which contained an excerpt of a waygate spell on it, it was written rather recently and required the caster to prepare a small altar which had already been made in the center of the room while moving, as in running. And so he did as the scroll commanded and a shimmering beacon of blue light erupted from the heavens down to the center of the tower, breaking open the ceiling. That was the portal no doubt, and it was most likely something irreversible. He looked back out of the tower window, towards the gray skies and lands that stretched on and on like a never ending spool of thread, constantly unwinding. He turned back to the portal, and the colors of all shades of blue danced and flickered with a vibrant life like he had never seen. He wrote on a piece of parchment that said "Walther Pagras chooses Reality." and stepped through the portal.

Through there he had been basked in a strange world, slowly he began to learn and experience that which the old man had spent his life trying to do. He eventually learned of planets, people, races and other humans coexisting together like a quilt sewn together with all sorts of different fabrics. And he eventually learned of Eureka academy in which he had enrolled in, he did this because a continued education means an expansion of knowledge of this world, he cast aside his previous life of colorless bliss so that he may truly know the world he lives in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything looks pretty good. I like the touch of xenophobia you added to him since he's in a strange new place. However, I would like a bit more on how he reacts to magic-users. Looking at his history, it would seem that he was taught that magic in any form would be 'witchcraft'. So how does he react to them, especially in the context of his xenophobia. Like if he encountered an elven wizard. Other than that, everything looks great.

Everything looks pretty good. I like the touch of xenophobia you added to him since he's in a strange new place. However, I would like a bit more on how he reacts to magic-users. Looking at his history, it would seem that he was taught that magic in any form would be 'witchcraft'. So how does he react to them, especially in the context of his xenophobia. Like if he encountered an elven wizard. Other than that, everything looks great.
Wait does that mean It's accepted?

It means I'd like to a see a bit more in her personality on how he reacts to magic users in general and also to xenomages as well. Once that's done you're good.

It means I'd like to a see a bit more in her personality on how he reacts to magic users in general and also to xenomages as well. Once that's done you're good.
I think I added a bit of a fix there an hour or two ago. Not sure if It's exactly what you want, however

It's not so blunt in its way of saying but yes, it fits rather nicely. Accepted. I'll add you to the roster once I'm done with raid and can have the attention to hyperlink

"Through knowledge, I shall find power. Through power, I shall find choice...And through choice, I shall find destiny." -Walther Pagras

*chuckles*

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me." - Sith Code

--------

also, something i need to mention. Arbalests (and crosbows in general for that manner) do not have any recoil. Think about it. The bolt of a crosbow is fired 100% by a string mechanism that pulls it forward. Unlike firearms, there is no explosion or striking mechanism that 'hits' the projectile, and hence there is no backlash of kinetic force, all of the power is aimed in a single direction.

----

oh, and one question. The old necromancer, you said he was a master of his trade right? In that case, why didn't he just try to become a lytch (commonly spelled Lich)? If you're a master necromancer who has complete controll over the forces of the veil, wouldn't it seem odd for you to simply lay down and accept your own whithering away due to old age? One of the staples of high necromancy is turning oneself into a lytch, and the process is relatively simple, even if it requires a really high degree of skill to pull off. One simply needs to find an item, any item, that can serve as a container for the spellcaster's soul and then simultaneously cast the spell that will bind the caster's soul to the item, while also casting the spell that will turn their new corpse (seeing as their body is about to get its soul ripped out of i by the first spell) into a necromantic being bound to the control of the object in which the necromancer's soul resides. As a result the necromancer retains full control of their body for as long as the object that they are trapped in remains in the possession of said body. And as an added bonus the body becomes more or less impervious to physical damage, and they retain all of their ability to cast magic (again, as long as the vessel for the necromancer's soul doesn't leave the possession of the necromancer's body. That vessel is their one great weakness).

so... yeah, just speaking as a dark magic fan here, the idea of a master necromancer quietly resigning himself to death, especially when he still had so many regrets and incomplete goals, seems unrealistic. I personally think the scene would make more sense if your character found the necromancer wounded and dying (having received the wound from another one of those mercenaries that was trying to collect his bounty, but said mercenary still having been killed by the necromancer's magic/servants), the old man no longer having the power to finish the lytch spell he was preparing in his attempt to overcome death.

Last edited:
Updated the roster.

*chuckles*

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me." - Sith Code

--------

also, something i need to mention. Arbalests (and crosbows in general for that manner) do not have any recoil. Think about it. The bolt of a crosbow is fired 100% by a string mechanism that pulls it forward. Unlike firearms, there is no explosion or striking mechanism that 'hits' the projectile, and hence there is no backlash of kinetic force, all of the power is aimed in a single direction.

----

oh, and one question. The old necromancer, you said he was a master of his trade right? In that case, why didn't he just try to become a lytch (commonly spelled Lich)? If you're a master necromancer who has complete controll over the forces of the veil, wouldn't it seem odd for you to simply lay down and accept your own whithering away due to old age? One of the staples of high necromancy is turning oneself into a lytch, and the process is relatively simple, even if it requires a really high degree of skill to pull off. One simply needs to find an item, any item, that can serve as a container for the spellcaster's soul and then simultaneously cast the spell that will bind the caster's soul to the item, while also casting the spell that will turn their new corpse (seeing as their body is about to get its soul ripped out of i by the first spell) into a necromantic being bound to the control of the object in which the necromancer's soul resides. As a result the necromancer retains full control of their body for as long as the object that they are trapped in remains in the possession of said body. And as an added bonus the body becomes more or less impervious to physical damage, and they retain all of their ability to cast magic (again, as long as the vessel for the necromancer's soul doesn't leave the possession of the necromancer's body. That vessel is their one great weakness).

so... yeah, just speaking as a dark magic fan here, the idea of a master necromancer quietly resigning himself to death, especially when he still had so many regrets and incomplete goals, seems unrealistic. I personally think the scene would make more sense if your character found the necromancer wounded and dying (having received the wound from another one of those mercenaries that was trying to collect his bounty, but said mercenary still having been killed by the necromancer's magic/servants), the old man no longer having the power to finish the lytch spell he was preparing in his attempt to overcome death.

For the arbalest, I suppose you're right, I guess I can remove recoil, but It kind of felt overpowered since the crossbow can pretty much do 1-hit shots, I suppose 30 second reload is enough,

As for the necromancer, like the history stated, he had no intention of evil, he simply wanted to see the borders of his reality, and nothing more. Through necromancy, this was the closest he could get. He was never evil to begin with, despite the alienation of the reality in which Walther lived in. Becoming a lich would mean he would be bound to something, and that was an idea that he worked his life to destroy. I kind of put that spin there to make you feel sympathetic rather than unconcerned as your average BBEG. In that way, Walther could share a connection with him, that no one else could have, regardless of who they were

hmm, well, i don't feel like necromancy immediately equals evil either. But ultimately it IS a magical school that focuses entirely on fucking with the laws of life and death, and necessitates for the spellcaster to disturb the souls of the dead and (often painfully) twist them to do his bidding by force. Because of this, a necromancer may not necessarily be 'evil', but they certainly 'good' either. at best they are well-intentioned extremists who believe that even denying the dead their final rest is justifiable in order to achieve their goals, and that necromancer;s goals were still very selfish, even if they weren't malicious. so again I'm not seeing what part of his personality would stop him from turning himself in a lytch.

again though, it;s your character so I can only comment my personal thoughts.

IT could be an issue of the resources. I've played in a D&D campaign where finding complete copies of high level rituals and spells was incredibly difficult, sometimes taking at least 5 different scrolls just to put together a complete one. It could be that the Lich spell is similar, or that such a spell was yet to be found on his homeworld and said necromancer simply didn' have the resources to complete it all.

hmm, well, i don't feel like necromancy immediately equals evil either. But ultimately it IS a magical school that focuses entirely on fucking with the laws of life and death, and necessitates for the spellcaster to disturb the souls of the dead and (often painfully) twist them to do his bidding by force. Because of this, a necromancer may not necessarily be 'evil', but they certainly 'good' either. at best they are well-intentioned extremists who believe that even denying the dead their final rest is justifiable in order to achieve their goals, and that necromancer;s goals were still very selfish, even if they weren't malicious. so again I'm not seeing what part of his personality would stop him from turning himself in a lytch.

again though, it;s your character so I can only comment my personal thoughts.
I agree with you fully, the old man did act as an extremist in his own ways, and I suppose that the kind of magic that he performed was not really good, but like Yaoi Master Gavin said, there is a limit of resources, especially in the area of magic due to great crusade against witchcraft. I suppose he kind of took what he could.

hmm, makes sense looking at it from that perspective.

That was a lot later than planned but when it came down to it I could not figure out what to do with Amal o.0 I kind of just went with the first thing that popped into my head, heh...

Finally got my post up. Sorry bout that, I've been neglectful. And I have just done what I could think about during class. If possible, I'll post again later tonight.

hmm, well, this seems to have died for absolutely no reason what-so-ever

Status
Not open for further replies.