Eureka Academy: First Semester [SU/OOC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Buio Exactly. I made the very same point in class that I have in fact made that long of posts for a freaking post by post RP. It was even worse when she put a word cap of 500 on the one we were reading in class. I hate word limits - I feel sooooo cramped in.

The way my professor explained it was pretty good. Flash Fiction is built for the audience. We live in a world dominated by speed and instant gratification. So, for readers, Flash Fiction is a way to (if done well) get a feel for a powerful story in very little time. For example, I will throw out the "shortest story ever written". (In quotes because who knows what has been written and never read.) I'm sure if you've taken a Flash Fiction class, you've heard this before, but one example is: For sale: Baby Shoes. Never Worn. You get a story without a need for more explanation.

What I personally think is great about FF is that it is much much easier to get published. Don't get me wrong, I am 100% a novel girl. However, editors are going through so much stuff, they are just looking for a reason to throw out a manuscript. Improper format? Screw it. Misplaced apostrophe? Screw it. First sentence isn't catchy enough? You get the idea. But if you have a list of already-published stories in your cover letter, they'd be more willing to take the time and read your manuscript.

To be clear, this post isn't directed at anyone.. I just like that Flash Fiction is a thing, and felt like explaining why. : )

damn, i was hoping you didn't have kiku's backstory fleshed out yet, i had thought of something potentially good involving her and bobby.

also, guys, i just learned about 15 minutes ago that my grandfather's in the hospital and... likely not gonna be coming back out. we're taking a 3 hour drive to go see him monday. I don;t know how good i will be for posinting but i will do my best not to hold anything up.

The way my professor explained it was pretty good. Flash Fiction is built for the audience. We live in a world dominated by speed and instant gratification. So, for readers, Flash Fiction is a way to (if done well) get a feel for a powerful story in very little time. For example, I will throw out the "shortest story ever written". (In quotes because who knows what has been written and never read.) I'm sure if you've taken a Flash Fiction class, you've heard this before, but one example is: For sale: Baby Shoes. Never Worn. You get a story without a need for more explanation.

What I personally think is great about FF is that it is much much easier to get published. Don't get me wrong, I am 100% a novel girl. However, editors are going through so much stuff, they are just looking for a reason to throw out a manuscript. Improper format? Screw it. Misplaced apostrophe? Screw it. First sentence isn't catchy enough? You get the idea. But if you have a list of already-published stories in your cover letter, they'd be more willing to take the time and read your manuscript.

To be clear, this post isn't directed at anyone.. I just like that Flash Fiction is a thing, and felt like explaining why. : )

well see, that's exactly the issue i have. that isn't a story, that's a title. it doesn't actually 'say' anything, it forces you to come up with the idea for the story yourself. why were the baby shoes never worn? was the child a miscarriage? was it aborted? did the couple split up and it's the father selling off the shoes because the mother won't allow him to see his kid? Why are the shoes for sale? why aren't they being thrown away?

there IS a story there, but it's not being told, you have to think of it yourself. To me that's not good writing, which is why i wouldn't be very fond of the format.

damn, i was hoping you didn't have kiku's backstory fleshed out yet, i had thought of something potentially good involving her and bobby.

also, guys, i just learned about 15 minutes ago that my grandfather's in the hospital and... likely not gonna be coming back out. we're taking a 3 hour drive to go see him monday. I don;t know how good i will be for posinting but i will do my best not to hold anything up.
I'd still be keen to hear your idea, I can always change it. Or adapt it. Either way, I'm curious.

I'm sure we can manage while you get your stuff taken care of, sorry to hear about that.

i sent you a PM with the idea Squee

*chuckles* i almost want to make grimm pick a fight with sorren.

And why is that?

Grimm's reason? so he can see more of the hemomancy and copy it.

my reason? for the lolz.

Ok, I'm back from my weekend away. I owe a post, so I'd better do that. I owe a few posts, actually. Hehe.

Indeed you do Squee. Did you enjoy your rum and sex?

I'm guessing I just post this.

Name: Vanra Moonlight

half_orc_sorcerer_by_whodrewthis-d5ssr9p.png

Race: Orc with a faint hint of nixie in her blood (for now).

Class: Battle Sorcerer (Fey blood)

Title: Student

Sect Study: Dominus: White

Appearance: Vanra stands at a whopping seven feet tall. With her long body, she tends to look scrawny with robes on, but in the nude or on rare occasian she is something less formal, it is very clear that she has the strength of an orc but lean body of a nixie. Her face has a sort of beauty that is noticible even with her scarred face. Her body does not show any kind of scars as of yet, just a soft green body that is toned but has a few small signs of her getting a bit chubby. Her hair is cut short by her own greataxe so it seems like a bob cut hastily. The orc had silver eyes which serves as proof of her heritage. Her ears were elven in nature and are about six inches, twice the size of her three-inch tusk.

Her clothing tend to seem ordinary but the dark green blandness is canceled out by a red trim and large hoop earrings with the color of her rank on it with a two inch radius. These robes seem to favor no gender design-wise so she can look boyish in these robes. The fabric of such robes seem soft like silk but they feel rough and heavy, almost to the point of being leather. In the rare times she needs to use a disguise self spell, she seems to favor commoner-like clothing for some unknown reason but since she uses disguise self for this job, it's probably just to attract attention away from herself.

Personality: For someone with nixie blood, she seems almost shy when it comes to strangers but when she warms to someone, her true personality starts to shine through her rusted appearance. Vanra likes to stick around as many friends as possible, as she fears of being left alone, her one true fear. Despite being an orc, her patience is really thick. She can wait for hours just for a single piece of candy, but this could mean she can hold a grudge for a long time, waiting for the perfect time to strike.

When it comes to anger, she doesn't go reckless but actually tends to stay passive-aggressive unless she knows there is nothing holding her back. Around other orcs, she feels often awkward because of her sophistication when compared to others of her kind. There is nothing blunt about her, Vanra is all about subtlety. The best of this is she's a good bluff, but the worst of this are those (frequent) sarcastic tones when she knows something that may not be common knowledge. Although she tries to work in good terms with everyone, Vanra's past experiences with wizards made her prejudice against them.

Weapon(s): Vanra carries around a great axe with a tempered glass orb at the end of it. The greataxe is nothing like it looks, copying off Vanra's misleading attire theme. Although it looks heavy, the aluminum-zinc alloy allows Vanra to hold it in one hand for a few seconds, enough time to cast a quick magic missile or sleep.

Abilities/Magic: Vanra is a beginning sorcerer and as such as few spells that she can cast often.
Level scale of 0-9
Level 0 spells
Mage Hand: Telekinesis up to five pounds.
Ray of Frost: Extremely minor frost damage.
Disrupt Undead: Light damage to undead.
Detect Poison: Detect poison in one object or creature.

Level 1 spells
Disguise Self: Changes appearance of equipment.

History:
No one how the pairing between a nixie and an orc ever happened but that's just another mystery that may never resolve. To Vanra, she was just glad for the powers and often pray to her ancestors for when she gets into trouble or need advice. While it seems strange, it sometimes work actually. To the other orcs, Vanra seemed weak. She was nice to the younger children, who often bullied her, and babies, who scratched her up badly.

Rejected by her kind, she became a wanderer by the age of two. Eventually, the orc woman was taken up by a blacksmith who taught her to make axes and other weapons. She was great at her job, like any orc, and would pound away at the forge for hours until one day where she seemed to get the sudden urge to use a spell on a weapon that needed cooling down in a little thing of water. When she casted the ray of frost spell, she was shocked to see her great axe was completed. In secret, she trained and studied about her powers as much as possible.

After finding out about Eureka Academy, she began to sell the weapons she made and saved up as much money as she could to go there. After four more years of work, she finally was able to afford a trip off her old-styled planet. Now, although she struggles a bit with manifesting her powers as easily as some of the others in her rank, she can show her true potential in desperate struggles.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, just so long as you can handle them all.

I'm still waiting on a moment to properly use my teacher, Arukab...

@VanraMoonlight I want to know a bit about how aging works for your character. Is it based on the planet's rotation or was it based on Orc maturity?

hmm, looks like i might end up having a teacher in all 4 sects then

@VanraMoonlight I want to know a bit about how aging works for your character. Is it based on the planet's rotation or was it based on Orc maturity?
It's based on Orc maturity. They are born and die faster than humans. Most orcs never see 70 years of age, something which most humans can pull off with ease.

Just remember @Buio, I've already got an armed combat professor. Just waiting until I can use him...Methinks class will take place on day 2.

@VanraMoonlight
Alright then, racial accelerated development accounts for most of it then. I noticed you're using D&D basics. Do you have any intent to go beyond the basic sorceror or do I need to give you the list of banned books for my D&D campaigns so you know where you can go?

I would actually like to see that. (please let there ToB unbanned)

Status
Not open for further replies.