Eureka Academy: First Semester [RP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rever stood silently as Hibiki explained the plan. It was a solid plan, but Rever insisted to himself that he would still play follower, mostly due to Hibiki being one scary person when things got nasty. Of course, recognizing the shot at the other kitsune here, Rever looked Isamu in the eyes and shot him a look meant to comfort him, as if to show that he had at least another ally here. At that, Kiku spoke up again.

"Now may not be the best time to try making friends, as far as I'm concerned this is a battlefield, and I will treat it as such." Pulling back his sleeve and looking at the bracelet that Kiku currently was taking the form of, Rever gave a slight scowl. "If you wind up in danger, it's my job to protect you."

Drawing his look into the horizon, Rever spoke beneath his breath. "You're the one who assigned yourself as my protector. I had nothing to do with it." He almost instantly realized that came out a touch louder than intended. While the odds of his statement being heard was small, it still made him disappointed that he may have to explain it yet again. "Don't mind me."

Marco

Marco already had a stunner grenade in his hands and ready to unpin and throw into the room should things go sour. When his team captain came out telling them to run marco wasted no time doing just that before turning tail and running after his two teammates. Ashling asked the obvious question before he could himself. The fact that there weren't a bunch of angry screams and snarls behind them more or less rulled out the possibility of goblins chasing after them, so whatever they were running away from was likely whatever had tripped those alarms earlier. Still, it was eerily quiet behind them, and that only worried marco more. Silent predators were almost always the most dangerous.

"As much as I'd like to know as well, I think we best save our breaths for running till we get out of this burrow!" he said, already reaching for a sleeper grenade and looking behind him every so often in a futile attempt to get a glimpse at what was stalking them in the dimly lit tunnels.

Bobby

"If I may make a suggestion," intoned the automaton, "it would appear that none of the quarries on our list are capable of dealing any direct magical damage to us and instead would attack us through biological means such as poison and fangs. As such my frame should be impervious to nearly any damage we could suffer in this forest. Taking this into consideration, i would be happy to 'take point' as it were so that if we encounter any opposition I would be the first to be attacked. Additionally I could scan our surroundings as we travel in case we stumble upon any other reagents along the way to the river banks. How does this sound to you, Commander Hibiki?"

Grimm

While the elf was playing teacher with the two new students Grimm had been on the proverbial warpath, having switched to one of his more manic emotional states and wanting to be done with the mission as quickly as possible. He had wasted no time sniffing out a large portion of the elemental babies and knocking them out in the same way he'd done the first few, casting a low-level hover charm on each after they had been knocked out and making them float behind him as he'd continued hunting them down. He wasn't going to risk having one wake up while he was hunting down the last few and end up having to do the whole thing over again. Once he had captured about fifteen he figured he had more or less cleared out the sector he was working in. He could feel a few more rampant elemental energies on the floor but those were coming from the direction in which he'd left his other team members so he figured those were just the ones that they were either capturing or had already captured with their sigils. If not, well too bad, he had done his fair share of the work and more so no one could complain to him later.

So with his group of hovering unconscious elemental babies clustered behind him, Grimm returned to the 4th floor entrance where their instructor was waiting. He dropped the group of babies with no particular care and simply said "Here, I'm done. There's nothing left for me to do right?" to the instructor, clearly anxious to get on with the next part of his day, not that he had anything particular planned. He just wanted to feel like he was doing something productive

Last edited:
Isamu Masami, red
Masami walked in silence the rest of the way down the slope. He had his head up just a little more and his eyes were focused ahead of him as he neared the last of his party members with Rever at his side. His mood was more up, but he knew it wouldn't last long since Hibiki was there. And his premonition was only proved right when he heard the words, although he did catch the comforting look from Rever. At that, his ear twitched slightly, and his tails jerked slightly. Masami flinched less than he normally did and his facial expression seemed to darken again, but not with fear or sadness this time, but with something else.

Staying silent even while the Golem spoke, Masami thought that it was amazing to have something like Bobby on this team. With him taking point and his physical strength and his ability to scan the area for the reagents, Bobby was an invaluable member to have.

Looking into the forest, Masami could hear the rustling and bustling of creatures, birds and other things he had no idea what the hell they could be. Masami stayed still but looked up, past the others in the party and looked at the trees, keeping his attention away from the others, trying to just ignore all of the stabs and jabs from Hibiki.

Orin Sylvari, grey
Orin ran out of the cave with the other two, stopping about ten feet away from the entrance. Drawing his scythe and getting into a fighting stance, he stared at the hole as the snake slithered out, hissing softly.

"Be careful! Stay somewhere behind me!"

The snake slithered out maybe a foot from the cave before it eyed the three and slunk back into the hole, out of sight. Orin looked confused as he expected the basilisk to try to kill them all, but considering it's recent meal... That made more sense. Orin put his guard down as he turned to his teammates.

"That was a basilisk. I'm sure you've heard of them. This beast must be the reason that the Goblins were all gone and the traps all sprung. We... We need to find out how to get the tools and get rid of this snake before it becomes a menace to the Academy. Catching the old codger off guard should be easy... So... If either of you can think of some way we can fight such a creature in the area without me blowing the whole cavern up... I'm all ears."

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashling sighed a huge breath of relief when the snake-like creature returned within the tunnels. She lowered her weapon once again.

Basilisk...

Ashling had heard of them in passing throughout her childhood, beasts with incredible power, like striking a person dead with a single glance. From what she could remember, they were rumored to have a weakness. Stoats? Ferrets? Maybe it was any weasel.

"I think their weakness is weasels, or the smell of weasels. Something like that. But that was just a rumor growing up. But I really don't know how we could use that information. I can't really track, and I don't even know if there are even any weasels in these forests. Unfortunately, all I know is how to use a bow, and I'd always prefer not to. If we can avoid that."

Ashling tip-toed up to the hole and looked inside. There was nothing to be found, and she turned toward the men.

"So, what do you guys think?"

Walther woke with a start.

He noticed that he had dozed off for some time, possibly an hour or two, and was sleeping around the corner of a building. He dreamed that not too long ago he had made a swift exit, taking a few elementals with him and then tried to start a conversation with some orc woman that looked lost. He tried moving his arm, noticing that it was fit snugly around two jars, each with a baby elemental inside. Apparently the first part of his dream did come true, he wasnt sure about meeting the woman.

"The mission must be over by now.." He muttered to himself, it was no use coming back. either people would scold him for his negligence especially on his second day, or they wouldnt care enough that they didnt even notice he was gone. Regardless he got to his feet, dusted himself off, and trudged on through, touring the campus a little bit.

Hibiki said little to Bobby's suggestion, instead simply motioning in a long and exaggerated manner that he should go on ahead. As soon as the golem had passed, Hibiki drew his blades and snapped them together into a twin bladed swordstaff before falling in line immediately behind. With that, he kept his balance even better and his hand was always on his weapon. His eyes were constantly moving now, darting from side to side and above. The golem's sensory capabilities unknown and knowing that Rever was only human, that left only his and Masami's senses and the Isamu blood traitor was less than useless. Between them all, he fully expected something to happen to them.

His expectation came several minutes later when a large web wrapped bundle suddenly dropped from the canopy and landed some twenty feet away. Instantly, Hibiki was in a combat stance and his eyes were focused on the branches above them. What dropped from them was not the spider he expected but a large yelktenk, it's mandibles and forelimbs streaked with lime green fluid. On it's heels was an obviously dead wanderthread spider. As soon as he saw it, Hibiki jumped away, his feet bounding against a tree trunk and then pushing up. He whipped the staff around as though in some sort of completely ineffectual attack only for it to come undone, the chain within ratcheting out like a whip.

The now detached opposite blade swung down and around into the giant praying mantis, giving it a superficial cut across the thorax but also deflecting it's original fall directly onto the party. Now it fell to the side, bashing unexpectedly against a nearby tree but recovering quickly, landing on all of it's legs on the forest floor in front of the group. The kistune had landed himself on another tree, his feet firmly planted against the bark and one hand grasping a branch to keep him there.

"Alright everyone, gird your loins," he called out. "This is not a drill."

Alyss:

"Uhmm...no, Mr... Grimm, is it? N-no you're free to go."

Isamu Masami, red
Masami followed the rest of the group from the rear, severely wanting to be as far away from Hibiki as possible. Every little sound had his ears twitching and his head was jerking from side to side, being incredibly wary of his surroundings. Glancing forward, angling his body around the rest of the people in front of him, he thought he heard something. Masami was about to say something as he heard the sound again, but he was sure he'd just get barked at by their 'leader' if he said a single word, so he stayed quiet.

You'll get yelled at if you don't say anything either...

Masami's inner voice of reason spoke up inside of him. He rolled his eyes. Their leader would make any excuse to yell at Masami.

When the praying mantis bug disgusting thing dropped from the canopy, Masami jumped in surprise.

Oh no... I hate bugs...

Masami sighed and watched as Hibiki did his thing, effectively knocking the bug into a tree. For that, Masami was minutely happy. As the thing jumped back onto the path, Masami jumped into action. He wanted to get behind the thing, so he was going to use a tree. The only problem was getting in the tree. Masami then had an idea. With an apology to Bobby, Masami climbed onto the golem's shoulder and jumped into the nearest tree, working his way through the branches and prepared to drop down onto the bug.

This is so gross....

Marco

A basilisk.

A Basilisk.

A Cog-Dammed Basilisk!

Marco had heard of them of course, and yes he knew that they were natural predator of the gray goblins by reading up on the later, but really! A springing basilisk! This was just unfair!

The young tinkerer took a deep breath and recollected everything he had ever heard of or learned about basilisks in his previous year at eureka. After all, he had learned about them when reading up on goblins because of how many first-year missions required him dealing with the nasty little things, and marco was never the type to take it lightly when a book told him "oh yeah, by the way, the thing you;re hunting is also a tasty meal for a horribly lethal giant snake monster that you probably won't encounter but just might."

"Uhm, ok, well, the weasel thing is a bit misleading. It's a popular urban legend that came up from an old translation error. Basilisks actually hate the smell of mongooses who are natural snake hunters, but specifically the Eritainan fire mongoose who are among the only animals to routinely go toe to toe with basilisk and win; just for the hell of it too, not for food or territory: 'fire mongoose don't care, fire mongoose don't give a damn' as the old saying goes. Sadly they're not native to Eureka so using one to get us out of this mess isn't an option right now."

He looked at his team captain with a serious expression. "The basilisk is one of the top hunters in its ecosystem and one of the most lethal lower magical creatures period. They are quick, stealthy, intelligent, and vicious. Their scales have an incredibly high calcium content that not only gives them a rock-like texture and appearance, but makes them hard as bone to boot. Their venom is so potent that a single bite from an adult is said to be able to paralyze a dragon for the better half of a day. And if all of this wasn't bad enough they have a magical third eye on their forehead that can cast a powerful hypnosis spell on anyone who looks into it. Even trained monster hunters are told never to hunt one alone.... So the way i see it we have two options. We can go back to the academy and tell the instructors what happened. This is an unforeseen complication and not the kind of thing they would usually let a team of our level handle. They won't have any reason to grade us poorly since we did actually find the tools and we should at least pass this mission. We might even get a pat on the back for informing them about such a dangerous creature early. Catching a basilisk before it can establish a nest and create more of its kind could have saved several student lives that would likely have been lost in basilisk attacks otherwise. So that's option one."

His look became less serious now and he smiled mischievously. "Option two, we take on the basilisk ourselves and make a name for ourselves right now at the beginning of the year as the team that went above and beyond and took down a cog-damned basilisk by themselves. The hunters are told never to take them on alone, but there's three of us, and we have two big advantages in this situation. First, the basilisk isn't an adult yet. Those things live for centuries and by the time they're done growing they are massive. Old wizards would even use them to act as guardians to their toobms and the hidden chamers they would keep their secrets in. There's no way a full grown basilisk would fit in that burrow comfortably so that one's probably just an adolescent snake. Two, that one already fed, and no matter how big the snake, when it eats, it gets sleepy and lethargic. The reason it left us alone was because it knew getting in a fight while it was still digesting those goblins was a risky move even for an apex predator like itself. If we lure it out here in the open and force it to fight, between my brains and gadgets, ashling's skill and range, and your magic and leadership, it wouldn't be impossible to take it down. We'd come back to the academy as young heroes for sure."

Bobby

When the automaton noticed the mantis drop out of the sky and Hibiki leap into action, he immediately got into a battle stance and turned his attention towards the angry beast, scanning it to verify its identity while it was relatively immobile at the foot of the tree it had crashed into. It was indeed a yelktenk as they were hunting. Bobby had quick reaction times and incredible strength, but he knew he lacked the mobile agility to keep up with the giant insect if it tried attacking anyone else. If he was to serve as a shield for the rest of his teammates, he would need to do something to keep the monster's attention. Thankfully, he had heard of ultrasonic insect repellents before.

The lights on his visor blinked in a subtle pattern as he effected the change to his vocal programing and soon from his voice box began emitting a high pitched whine of constantly varying frequencies between 35kHz and 50kHz, the human Reever's ears wouldn't be able to pick up the frequency and Bobby didn't know if the two Kitsune would hear it either, but as soon as he started the whistle the Mantis became visibly enraged, the varying ultrasonic frequencies aggravating it and making it direct its attention nearly exclusively on the source of the noise, namely bobby.

slowly moving to the side without relenting the auditory assault, keeping his visor on the mantis, bobby drew the creature's attention away from the rest of the group as it snarled and threateningly clicked its mandibles at him. Soon the Yelktenk had had enough of this aggravating annoyance and charged at the Golem who met both of the mantis' clawed forelegs by catching them in his hands, wrestling with the surprisingly powerful beast as its head constantly bit in his direction, the mandibles scratching inefficiently off the side of his ancient metal as the large arthropod repeatedly attempted to inject its venom in his nonexistent veins (though bobby still made a point to try and dodge the mandibles as best he could since they were here to gather that very venom and it wouldn't do to have the beast waste all its reserves fighting him).

"If any of you have any plan of attack, i would suggest executing it while the quarry is distracted with me." said the golem, simulating yelling by simply increasing his volume output, not needing to keep up the ultrasonic whine anymore as the mantis was well and pissed off just by the fact that bobby was refusing to let go. As the yelktenk continued to thrash against bobby in growing fury, the automaton found it increasingly difficult to hold onto the mantis' legs without ripping them off outright, and he wanted to avoid killing the creature if possible.

Last edited:
Rever was the last to jump into action as he assessed the situation. He was probably the most vulnerable here, head on attack was possible by the kitsune as they were more powerful than humans, naturally, Bobby was a machine, venom was a laughable joke to him, but Rever had only one thing that gave him enough defense. His agility was insane since one of the very forces of physics didn't work on him. Kiku was another factor, but he didn't consider her a part of him, she was her own being. Speaking for the others to hear, but directing it at Kiku, he shouted, "Change into a sword on my cue, be ready!"

While the mantis was attempting to poison the metal man Rever took this as an opening, lunging forward and planting his hands to slide beneath the main body of the mantis, grabbing one of its legs and increasing friction for just enough time to swing him around. "Now!" He shouted as the little black braclet transformed into a sword, magenta light shimmering off the blade as it reflected the sunlight that fell through the leaves. Grasping the back of the massive bug, he increased the friction intensely preventing him from slipping off. Unfortunately, he couldn't get a good slice through its exoskeleton due to it's movement, the downside to increasing friction was that every movement threw him off. Regardless, he kept the friction high, he was safe from its bites while on its back.

"This is reckless..."
Rang a young feminine voice in his head.

"I know!" Shouted the only human in the group, "Just bare with me, if they attack, Hibiki for one knows about your ability, protect me if you sense an attack. Right all of you, Don't hold back because I'm here!"

"You are...You're just crazy."

"I know, thank god I've got you here to help me look normal. Anyway, if we can pin it I can get a more solid cut through it, again, don't worry about hitting me!"

Hibiki grinned at the sight of his squad. Clearly they were apt for such a mission and were already showing some remarkable teamwork. Well two of them were. The Isamu bastard was running like the coward he was. No matter - he would deal with the apostate later. As Rever and Bobby joined the fray he was already calculating his next move. As his mind spun through the variable plans and machinations, so do did his eyes, jerking around as invisible strands connected thoughts and reality in his own fractured mind. And just as sudden as the roulette started, it stopped.

Staff in hand, he dropped down with a bent to his eyes that revealed not a trace of what he was doing but with all the intent. His yellow eyes glittered as a solid panel of white light formed beneath him. Hitting it, he launched off at an angle and more panels appeared, his own luminakinetic constructs. Twisting his body midflight with his race natural flexibility, he hit each one feet first, propelling him even faster like an insane pinball machine. They directed him around the fray until the last one that left him parallel to the ground was hit. Through the course his staff had changed once more into it's twin swords and he held one in each hand as he shot between the legs of the yelktenk and Bobby.

There was no sound at all other than the grinding of the forest floor under Hibiki's boots as he landed some distance behind Bobby, his blades barely streaked with orange goo. All hell broke loose then as the yelktenk's legs toppled and the thorax fell to hit the ground heavily. At the sudden drop, it loosed a loud screech as it rocked back and forth on it's legless form trying in vain to free itself from Bobby's grasp.

Isamu Masami, red
Masami watched from his perch in the tree at the scene displayed before him. Bobby had the creature in a perfect arm lock and his utter asshole of a team captain had cut off the creature's legs. This all worked out perfectly for Masami's plan that he had.

Walking up to the ledge of the branch that was angled towards Bobby and the bug, Masami drew his blades and waited for a moment. As the bug was rocking back and forth, Masami leaped from the tree and, using his momentum from the fall, brought his blades down on the junction where the 'shoulder' of the bug was. There was some minour resistance as he landed down hard on the thorax of the creature, staggering it for a moment, but with some pressure, his blades slid through the exoskeleton and chopped the entire arm off at the shoulder.

The lack of arms and the rocking of the creature had caused it to begin falling to the side, Masami promptly jumping off and to the side, still placed in a fighting stance. This thing wouldn't offer up too much more resistance, but you never know when something else might pop up.

Orin Sylvari, grey
Listening intently to the little lesson on Basilisks that only reinforced Orin's prior knowledge, he seemed to fall into a state of intent thought as the two potions were posed at him. The smart choice would be report back to the Academy and let the professors or someone much more advanced take this thing on... buuuuut... Orin was still just a teenager, well, in demon years, so that little rebellious side was speaking up too... making a name for themselves would be fun... but he didn't want to upset Ashling... Eh...

Letting his own mischievous smirk cross his face, Orin adjusted his scythe on his back before he spoke.

"Well... I don't see why we shouldn't make a name for ourselves... And, Ashling, I know you may be against this, but you don't have to take part in the harming of it... perhaps... just the extraction of it from the cave and helping us keep it out here until it's done and dead. This is also an excellent test of our skills. This will help us prepare for the rank advancement tests at the end of the year."

Clearing his throat and popping his neck, Orin let an actual smile cross his face as he glanced between the two.

"Ready?"

The decision was made. The group would take down the basilisk themselves. Ashling was hesitant, but her purpose at Eureka was being fulfilled. She was going to learn how to fight one way or another.

"It sounds like this thing is being killed either way, so if we're gonna take it down ourselves, I will fully participate."

She didn't expect that this program would be so risky so soon. This was only her first day at the academy, and she was possibly lost in the middle of the forest, with two guys she hardly knows, and has never fought alongside before, about to kill a creature far beyond her skill level. It didn't matter that it had just eaten, or that it already showed an unwillingness to fight. This was dangerous, and insane. She had no interest in risking her life simply to make a name for herself.

But they already think I'm weak. How will I look if I refuse to participate in killing a threat to the school? And what are my options otherwise? Run away?

"So, we need to lure it out somehow. And then I'll stay back and shoot. Like Marco said, I'm range-only. But I might be able to get some good shots to the head. The rest is up to you guys."

Ashling took a few steps backwards, away from the tunnel entrance.

Marco

The blond haired boy held up both of his hands quickly, shaking his head at the two and their eagerness to 'get into position' as it were. "Wait up you two. Beating the basilisk is possible, but not if we just wing it, that's suicide. We need to have a well organized strategy for how we're going to approach this before we go wake up the big baddie again. I have some ideas already but I need to know a few things abut your skills first. Captain, what is the thickest and/or most durable thing you have ever sliced through cleanly with that scythe of yours and could you replicate that feat right now? If not what were the special conditions that allowed you to perform that feat before? Ashling, at what maximum range can you guarantee you will hit a bullseye with your arrow at least 50% of the time? And how much practice have you had hitting moving targets?"

Bobby

The robot did not seem to react when hibiki passed by, not that he could have in time to do anything about the accelerated blade dancer anyways. the mantis's torso simply dropped to the ground, the head still screaming in protest despite its now inevitable death. For a few seconds the robot simply maintained its grasp as the large arthropod continued to thrash, but when the yelktenk lunged in to bite bobby once more, the golem let go of the mantis's pincers and with machine precision reached out and grabbed the mantis by its throat, catching it by surprise. Without hesitation Bobby let go of the other arm as well and thrust his own forward, plunging two fingers into the creature's brain and immediately ending its life. Without a word the magically animated machine retracted its fingers and let the carcass fall to the ground so his teammates could collect the venom from its glands.

Status
Not open for further replies.