Eudicia

2jzKIwJ.png

It was a sensation, despite everything going on in her life, that Arabella Dane would never forget. Flying. Being above the clouds, above the world - the wind their only companion for a brief, fleeting time. It was wonderful, and freeing... There was no fear, despite what she had expected. She never wanted it to end... and for the length of their journey, she wondered if it might not.

But end it did, as they leveled out and descended in a smooth sweeping motion, the earth beneath them again, and all of the terrible fear and responsibility with it. Carefully, slowly, as not to spook the mount, Arabella dropped to the ground, and took a look around the small grove. It had been so long since she'd been out in the woods... yet seeing it now, her fingers itched for a bow, for her father's voice in her ear, telling her to hold still and wait... remember to breathe.

Her jaw twitched, and she glanced up to see Alexander helping the noblewoman down before he turned to address them. Her instinct, natural as inhaling, was to get to work immediately on setting up camp, so when the Aegis suggested they stick by him, she turned with a small, uncertain frown and rubbing her arm, looked around, "...I can gather sticks and kindling. Unpack whatever supplies there are."

Marnia Belhund

Of course, Marnia took the decision to fly with Bella Dane rather well, clapping a raucous hand on the girl's shoulder and shaking her like a rag doll with enthusiasm. It wasn't long before they were up in the air, and Marnia quickly took to the heights. In her youth, she had climbed the great mountains of the T'Ousand Rills with her brothers, learning to track and run after them with bows, arrows, and gear. While she was well aware of her future role as wife, her mother had justified her expeditions as "understanding a man's life" and why she should put him up as comfortable as could be when he came home. Marnia hadn't necessarily complained.

She didn't miss that they were headed much farther north than they should be, though, and her stomach dropped as she slowly recognized the area. They'd been here before at least once. She remember that the Northfold gang called this place home, and the last time they'd run into them.... well, it hadn't been a necessarily pleasant experience, if she was honest. While she would take fifty Northfold bandits over a single Shadow Wielder, she hoped that they had fled since the last time they'd been through here. If memory served her right, there was a certain crashed airship around -- and no one was supposed to be wandering about it.

As they made landfall, Marnia quickly settled Snowy up against one of the pine trees, where he could chew on a tree branch for a while. It wasn't long before Alex asked Marnie to scout ahead into Soper, and she rolled her shoulders with slight apprehension. She nodded assent and said, "If'n some'n could make sure Snowy gets watered 'n fed, I'll be right as rain. I'll've come 'fore sundown, but should I not, don't be 'fraid to come fer me. I 'on't bite."

She winked at Alex playfully, though her hand gripped her remaining weapon with white knuckles.

Quickly, she headed off into the woods, keeping an eye on the sun. It grew darker in woods much faster than out in Thol, and she had to be mindful she wasn't out for too long, else Alex leave his charges to go fetch her. Marnia managed to find a small road, though she took the forest passage parallel to it. Soper was a bit closer than she'd thought, though still a whole hour's walk away on Marnia's long legs. The town of Soper was relatively small, with no more than a few tens of houses. Marnie unfortunately had no way to enter town discreetly, so she didn't bother.

The town seemed clean by her reckoning, though. There wasn't a wary eye about, not a single bleary look that tracked her long-legged walk towards the single inn. She recalled that the place had some nice beds, even if they had a rather sullen scullery maid. It didn't take her long to inquire the number of rooms open, that they were about Aegis business. The innkeeper kept a safe distance nevertheless behind the desk, keeping the large ledger between the two of them.

"We've four rooms open."

"Business slow?"

"Aye, Squire. Not a soul comes through with that crashed airship nearest us. Too risky to have the-- well, never mind that. How many will be staying?"

"Eight," Marnie said, overstating in case other ears happen to be about. Should there be others eavesdropping, perhaps they'd think twice about attempting to bother eight possible Aegis. "It won't be long 'fore we reach here."

With that, the innkeeper agreed to take payment when all the party had arrived, and Marnia nodded her head. With that, she began to make her way through the quiet town, passing the occasional logger with horse and buggy hauling whole trees. However, just as she passed the threshold of the town, she did notice out of the corner of her eye that someone - well, a person shaped blur anyhow - dashed off into the forest just out the corner of her eye. While it made the hair on the back of her neck stand up, she decided that there wasn't enough evidence to say that Northfold were about and had hands upon the town. Well... they'd find out in a bit.

She headed back towards Alex and company, one eye out for anything else out of the ordinary.

@Starlighter @rissa @Effervescent @Elle Joyner[/hr]

Maes Harrow
the road to Redden

"A weapon? Um... I've got a small knife..."

Not that it'd do me much good. Especially if the Blood Mage went crazy

But Maes' response seemed to go unheard, so instead he began arranging his wagon for the sale of his goods. The trip thus far had been reasonably pleasant, considering the verbal disputes he'd had to be witness to in Tildash. It's wasn't terribly pleasant countryside to drive through, it rarely was, but there had been for the most part at least a constant of uncomfortable silence, a silence he did his best to fill with the occasional song, playing as well he might any request that may have been put him. The sudden stop had been something of a surprise, though the horses needed watering anyway.

"Fresh produce!" the farmer called, raising his voice to passersby in advertisement. It was good stock, if of small quantity: corn, yams, and beans composed the majority, with some few tomatoes, melons, and cucumbers rounding out the lot. He pursed his lips, looking around. There weren't too many locals to begin with, and he only garnered a few looks. He glanced at Aveline, eyebrow cocked.

"Hey, would you give me a hand? If we can get some of this sold, it'll make the wagon lighter, which means an easier job for the poor horses."

@CloudyBlueDay @Effervescent

Saren Dynagra[font=constantia, 6]
[/font]

Saren was by no means a stranger to the riding of gryphons, but neither would she be so bold as to declare herself an expert in the fine art of handling such beasts. She kept her eyes closed and held on tightly, staying relaxed and allowing the steady howl of the wind to wash over her and thunder in her ears, drowning out any other sounds and most sensations. Surprisingly, once in the air she couldn't recall why she had felt earlier that the experience would make her ill. She was vaguely aware of the Aegis riding with her, but her thoughts trailed elsewhere.

Up here so far away from the world, it was easy to think about Eudicia while the grim reality of the situation couldn't reach her. My life as I once knew it.... it's over. At least for the time being. There would be no going back to a light hearted Festivallas celebration, no warning those she had suddenly left behind of where she had gone. She was alone, and she was far from safe. How could an Aegis - or even a pair of them? - protect her from a threat that no one could see?

Perhaps.... perhaps it would be best just to accept that they can't do anything. Perhaps, the true agony is only in awaiting the inevitable in tormented terror. Her soft sigh was lost in the howling torrent of wind. A noblewoman shouldn't think about such things. But perhaps a rebellious girl threatened by an invisible foe had a right to.

As their pace slowed into a gradual descent, Saren sat up a little straighter and opened her eyes, watching the view slowly sink as they passed below the tree line. She kept her chin up, sitting regally as a noble lady should until the gryphon alighted on the ground. After the Aegis dismounted, she waited patiently for him to offer assistance, and graciously accepted it when he did, stepping lightly to the ground. She took several paces to put distance between them, and turned with her chin raised slightly to listen to what he was saying and watch the others, though she only paid half attention. It did, however, please her to note that the Dane woman seemed to be so attuned to her place.

Slowly drawing in a calming breath and exhaling in a huff, Saren moved to the edge of the clearing and gathered her red velvet cloak about herself. She swept her skirt out of the way and settled at the base of a large tree, drawing her knees up to her stomach and carefully resting her head against the coarse bark. She suppressed a grimace, but closed her eyes and forced herself to relax as much as the horrendously uncomfortable position would allow. She evened out her breathing in an effort to feign sleep, but remained as alert as ever.

@Effervescent @Doctor Jax @rissa @Elle Joyner

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Doctor Jax
The Blur in the Woods

@Effervescent

There were still a couple of hours left of sunlight that cast dark and long shadows within the woods. It was a perfect setting for a Northfold style ambush, and yet the minutes dragged on without a hitch, so it seemed. The only other person along the road was a hobbling, one-eyed man who favored his left leg. Just as he was about to pass he reached out for Marnia’s tabard and clung to the fabric with his bony vice.

“They’re always watching,” he whispered in rasps, the empty socket of his eye just as pleading as the one that remained. “Get out!”

Marnie grabbed hold of the one-eyed man with both hands at his elbows and asked seriously, “Who? Northfold?”

If so, she needed to make haste toward Alex and tell him they’d best board the gryphons for less bandit-filled territory.

“Northfold?” The man repeated the name as though he had never heard it before in his life. He gently pushed himself away from Marnia as he continually repeated the word, his eye looking around as if to somehow find its meaning in the sky or the trees. And then he looked back at Marnia, taking note of her attire and gasping almost as if he was seeing her for the first time.

“They’re always watching!” he said to her, his fingers once again gripping her tightly. “Get out! Get out!”

The woods and fields around her were oddly quiet.

“Get out from what?” Marnie asked with exasperation, her eyebrows drawing together. She took the man by the shoulders, an unsettled feeling in the pit of her stomach.

“What is it that is doin’ the watching?”

“Their eyes,” he murmured. “Their eyes see straight into you. Judging you. The true souls of the other worlds. Eudicia.”

Marnia’s flesh seemed to ice over with the mention of the clandestine organization. Even here they were not safe out of the reach of Thol? How far did the arm of Eudicia stretch? They were so close to the Winded Wood.

“What do you know?” Marnie asked seriously. She needed as much information as possible. If this man knew anything… she needed to let Alex know. It would be better to fly through the night than keep here. Surely they couldn’t get them in the air.

“Are they close?” Marnie asked.

“Always close,” he said in a whisper, and his gaze darted to and fro. “Always watching. They took my eye and ate it! No, no. That was a goat. The goats might be in on it too. They got rid of the gang. Not the goats.”

Marnia’s sudden excitement slowly diminished as she realized that the man might not be all there, though that had not been her guess upon first seeing him. He reminded her of Cousin Jess-- who thought chickens were trying to impregnate him with a creature that would bust through his chest. Best take his words with a grain of salt.

“Um….Yea. Thank you for the help. Soper is back yon if you have need of a roof. Ah….I’ll be on my way,” Marnia said quickly.

“They're always watching!” the man repeated as they parted ways. By happenstance there were a herd of goats in the field close by when the trees would disperse enough to reveal the floppy eared creatures. The shadows seemed a richer black than ever before, and without warning the webbing of black that crossed the ground to mimic the trees that cast them began to curl in towards Marnia like hands. They reached for her own shadow.

Too late, Marnie realized that there was something horribly, horribly wrong with the shadows that bent towards her own. Her heart thudded as she realized that the shadows were moving towards her slowly in unnatural ways, a sure sign that there were Shadow Wielders about, and Marnie quickly looked about to see if that man had stuck around.

She had to act fast. She had a feeling she couldn’t let them reach her shadow, but what could she do to make sure they weren’t able to grab hold? Dark traveled faster than legs, and despite her long stride, she had no doubt she couldn’t outrun them. No, she needed something else to protect herself. With desperation, she unhitched her sword from her waist, and she held it in the direction of her shadow, overlaying the blade’s own darkness across her body. In the meantime she backed away quickly and silently towards Soper instead of head towards Alex. If the sun went down, Alex would know something was wrong, and hopefully he would be smart and take off without her.

Who was she kidding? He wouldn’t do that. Regardless, she walked briskly back towards Soper rather than lead the shadows towards her traveling companions.

The deranged man was walking away from her completely unaware. To his line of sight the shadows were normal. The goats were his main concern as he constantly glanced over to the field to his left as he traveled towards Soper.

But the shadows would not allow Marnia to go too far. Her back was to the sun casting a dark line before her, though nowhere near as unnaturally dark as the ones that curled towards her. The speed of the chase intensified until in a swoop the shadows warped and consumed the squire’s own.

And in an instant she would find herself back in Redden as though they had never left. Alexander was talking to her as he gathered their bags within the Citadel. “We’ll need to head out soon,” he said. “Hopefully we’ll get back before Festivallas ends. Or maybe enjoy it where we’re headed. Do you have the orders?”

Bewildered, her heart hammering in her chest, Marnia stared at Alex, mouth agape, before sputtering out, “Feckem.”

With probing hands, she patted herself down and looked around the Citadel. She recognized Alexander’s usual room and the stone surroundings, but she had been sure as daylight she’d been near Soper up to the north. There had been shadows creeping towards her, and…

“What are we doin’ here?” Marnia asked with a distraught expression. “I’s just in Soper. How… Alex, what day is it?”

She put hands on either of Alex’s shoulders, as if he would disappear in a moment. Yet, he felt so real. His shirt, the strong shoulders, the warmth… If this was an illusion, it was a good one.

Confusion was evident on his features as his brow pushed together, and he gently grasped Marnia’s forearms to encourage her to let go. “It's 58 of Spring,” he answered. “Is everything alright? You… You couldn't have just been in Soper. That's miles from here.”

He looked from her to about the room in concern. “Maybe you should stay behind and see a physician,” he suggested in a cautious fashion. “Just hand me the orders. I can do this on my own if need be. I just want to be sure you're alright.”

Marnia searched Alex’s face, unsure of what to make of this turn of events. She nodded as she looked around, but there was a small bit of intuition that told her that she should keep hold of the orders. There was something not quite right about all this, and Marnia was sure of it. If there was anything she trusted, it was her gut.

“No, no, I think I’m fine, but uh… it couldn’t hurt to pop in to Master Tourney’s and see whether or not I’ve a spell of winds,” Marnie suggested. “We’ll leave right after, promise.”

A vision of a skull of a goat would flash before her eyes enveloped in a void with eyes a cold glow of fire. It was gone in an instant and left a lingering unsettling feeling that would prick at the mind. Alexander still watched his companion with concern, but eventually nodded.

“We’ll leave in the hour, then,” he said. “I'll meet you at the aviary.”

Marnie waved him off, blinking her eyes rapidly as if she had stared at the sun much too long. She swallowed hard, rubbing her eyes. She was dreaming. She must be in a dream. But how to tell?

Brunsven once told her that you couldn’t read in a dream. She grabbed a book off the shelf and flipped it open, half hoping this was all nonsense.

It wasn’t. She could still read it, but she couldn’t deny that she’d just had a goat skull with fiery eyes flash right in front of her face.

“Marnia…” Alexander had turned back towards his squire, bags in hand as he watched her read through a book. He looked more worried than before, as if his brow could even push further together. “You need rest. You're not well. I don't want to put you under any further stress.”

He held out his hand, palm upward to receive their orders. “Please,” he said. “I'll do this well enough on my own. I can't have this on my conscience.”

Marnia took a long, deep sigh, and she looked up at Alex. She wanted desperately to trust him. After all, for the past two years, she’d done nothing but put her life in his hands, allowing him to guide her on the road to Aegis-ship. Finally, she shook her head.

“No. I’ll just come with you. I think I ate somethin’ that upset me, is all. ‘Sides, I don’t remember where I put the order. I figured you already had ‘em,” Marnia admitted, before slowly drawling, “Ye always keep ‘em. I lose ‘em like a kid loses teeth.”

“We need to work on that,” Alexander said as he handed over her bag. “One day you won't have me around to keep up with these sorts of things. Run me through the orders so I at least know you've read them.”

“Hell, Alex, why’ve I got to tell you when you already know them inside ‘n out?” Marnia asked, exasperated by the constant questioning towards the orders. If this was the waking world, then Alex was being more scatterbrained than usual. “I swear on a witch tit you’ve run over it at least five times before now. Why don’t you tell me, seein’ as you can’t seem to remember ‘em neither?”

“I know it just fine,” Alex said with a sigh as he moved out the door. “It's called an exercise, Marnia. They aren't going to promote you if you can't hold your own. It's important you get organized.”

Marnia sullenly straightened her armor and muttered, “O’ course, o’ course. If ye’re done interrogatin’ me, can we go now?” Sometimes Alex’s rather phlegmatic personality grated against Marnie’s more sanguine tendencies. There were moments where she wished he’d just beat her severely about the head and shoulders rather than pussyfoot and sigh his disappointment. For some reason, that was worse.

And it was almost as if a wish had been granted. Alex turned towards her, halting in the hallway as he set down his bag. “No,” he said, “we need to address this. We can't go out there every time with you half hearted. An Aegis takes their job seriously, and right now I'm not getting the impression you care all that much. Stop deflecting and either relay the orders or admit you don't know them.”

Marnie stared at Alex, her gut twisting. She debated whether or not to say. She knew that she’d been in Soper. She knew she’d met a young woman named Arabella Dane, and that there was a man named Zahar from another continent, that she and Alex had ridden gryphons to the north with a noblewoman in tow. This couldn’t be real.

Could it?

“Alright. I don’t know the orders. I didn’t read them. Last night, there was a shimmy at the pub…” Marnie lied, shrugging her shoulders and shaking her head with chagrin.

The scene before her suddenly drifted away as she plunged into darkness. After a brief moment, long enough for any confusion or worry to arise, the dark gave way to the road to Soper. Marnia would have found herself alone, the sunlight barely visible on the horizon as time gave way to night. There were no shadows creeping towards her, no Shadow Casters visible or travelers passing by. She was seemingly alone.

Marnie collapsed to her knees with a shuddering gasp, putting her head in her hands. She was right. She had been right. By the Mother, what was that?[/hr]

Zahar Belanor
It was a curious sensation, flying above the trees. Even now, over an hour later he could feel it… Could hear the wind rushing in his ears, the dips and jolts in his stomach, and the awe he felt at the landscape below. Estwynd was a beautiful land, pristine and fertile for her inhabitants. It reminded him of Northlyn, at least it’s beauty, as there were many things that differed from his homeland.

He approached Zaddi with a hand raised, as the Aegis had done back in Thol. The creature was gorgeous, even in his aging and he had taken surprisingly well to the elf. Only once did he try and throw him off. With an appreciative scratch behind the ear, Zahar refilled his water and feed, and then made his way over to Marnia’s Snowy. It’d been awhile now, since she had left, and seeing as no one else had fulfilled her request, he took it upon himself to do so.

When he was finished it was silent, all around the woody outcrop of wherever the Aegis had landed them. A little too quiet. Where were the insects of this land? The birds and the owls? And where exactly were they? There was a map of Estwynd in his bag but light was dimming from the sky and there were still many a things they needed to do. Zahar followed the Lady Dane’s suit and began gathering firewood. Small twigs and branches were all that were in the Aegis’ line of sight, so he took to walking out farther, gathering bigger pieces that would keep the shadows at bay all night. Slowly, the bushel of firewood grew and Zahar felt comfortable that it was enough for the night.

But where was the squire? Why was it so quiet?

He waved in the direction of the Aegis and motioned towards the way Belhund had departed from. With a scratch of his head, he thought of the possibilities. Perhaps she’d been sent to gather supplies and with the five of them, perhaps they were too much for her to carry. So with lithe strides he followed in her wake, the light of the sun growing ever dim.

Zahar needn't walk far before he saw something slumped over in the road in front of him. The twilight fooled his eyes for but a moment before he realized. With a few running strides he was in front of the squire who looked as though she’d just seen a dead man walking.

“Belhund?” Zahar inquired tentatively. “Is everything okay? What’s happened here?”

Marnia Belhund
Squire to Aegis Vallane

When Marnie heard footsteps approaching her, she went first to grab hold of the sword she dropped, sure that one of those Shadowy curs was about to ambush her, but as she looked up, relief overtook her in a great wave upon seeing that it was the tall foreigner that had ridden with them to Soper. He knelt down before her, inquiring if she was alright, and she dropped the sword she was holding to instead push herself into a standing position.

Still reeling from the shock of what had happened, she stammered, "Th-there was... something.... I..."

She looked up at the foreigner and, lip quivering, tears began to well in her eyes. Angrily she rubbed her eyes, shaking her head. However, her lip refused to stop quivering as she tried to bite down a sob, wondering where all these emotions were coming from. She'd not even uttered a whimper when she broke her foot falling down tor. Why had this shaken her so?

Yet it had been so real. If she hadn't been so stubborn, so bullheaded, she would have surely fallen for the illusion. What would have happened if they'd waited until she was asleep to weave such trickery over her? She had been a lame duck to do as they wished with her, and she didn't know why they had let her go.

"We need to head back," Marnia said as clearly as she could, grabbing a hold of Zahar, both for emphasis and for support. "Th-there's Shadow Magic ab-ab-about. Somethin'... spirited me off and-and made me think I was with Alex in-in-in Redden, 'n it... it... It felt so real, I thought that I was right there, 'n... 'n I think sommat's 'bout to happen t' us if we don't leave, straight off. Eudicia's here, n' I dunno how."

The worry was etched into the squire's face. Her scars stretched dismally in a rictus of fear, the girl biting her lip as she thought of how close a shave she'd cut it. No doubt, for some reason, they had wanted those orders that the not-Alex had kept asking for. But why? What purpose could that have served?

@rissa[/hr]

Last edited:
Zahar Belanor
Fear crept into his heart as the squire rambled, explaining in bursts what had happened to her. He glanced around with an anxious expression, probing silently with his arcane, only slightly guilty at doing it in front of an Aegis squire. It was better to be safe than sorry, right? Better to use his magic if he could help defend and protect them? He shrugged off the thoughts and finding nothing, grabbed the squire’s arm and put it over his shoulder, wrapping his own around her to hasten the pace.

“Yes,” Zahar said quietly, fear lowering his voice into a whisper. “We should get back as quick as we’re able.”

He ushered her forward, thinking of the possibilities. If it were true… true that Eudicia was this far from Thol… Then he had no doubt that their reach was all throughout Estwynd. The thought was chilling, knowing that nowhere you went was safe. Knowing that they could strike at any moment's notice…

“From what you described, Belhund, it sounds like a shade was what attacked you. Though I could be wrong of course. In either case, departing from this location quickly is our best course of action. Let’s hurry back to the Ladies and your Aegis.”

They didn’t have far to go, he walked barely ten minutes down the path before happening upon the crumbled form of Marnia Belhund. He cringed at the thought of what she must’ve went through… she seemed so strong-willed, so powerful… Yet everyone had cracks and the shadow needed only find them.

@Doctor Jax

"Ah, yes, of course." Abrecan had given a bow, in a pantomime of sincerity so contrived it may as well have been mockery, "Watermelon is pledged to serve."

A meager knife was all that Abrecan held upon his body. Good for a stab in the back, or a slit throat in the shadows, but not near as effective in actual combat. As far as combat goes, Abrecan had stout strength, low cunning, a penchant for deceit, and the martial prowess of a fat man with gout. It reminded him, of course, of how imperative it was to find shelter, and to make the most of Ender's protection.

So, for the time being, he'd endeavour to make himself useful. He approached the Farmer and the Blood Mage, with their various produce. Selling produce wasn't his typical line of work - the actual farming and harvesting of it all was far too dreary, painful labor beneath the sweltering sun. Still, selling was a gift he had.

"More animation, perhaps, farmer. Gesticulations and wild, well, lies.. Might I suggest claiming medicinal properties? Strong bones, wards against illnesses - perhaps the cucumbers are a miraculous libido remedy?"

@Red Thunder @Effervescent @BearEnthusiast @CloudyBlueDay

The Village of Hobble

A bard outside in the square restrung his hurdy gurdy as he muttered about the pigeons. There were obvious remnants of bird excrement that clung to the wood along the instruments neck. The bard swiped his handkerchief over the instrument and looked up at the sky where the sun began to set. Being forced out of the shade meant being forced to perform in the hot sunlight, and he was grateful for the evening. Once the strings were set, he turned the wheel to begin the chord in a harmonious hum, and his fingers pressed along the pedals to play the tune. His voice was smooth as he sang a song of about a silly seaman named Bobilian.

Ender took Geirolf with him, and with his uniform no one questioned why he hauled a chained man by the cuffs as though he were dragging a dog. “We’re going to fix you up proper,” he said to Geirolf as he guided the man into the tailor. The tailor sighed as he heard his bell ring, likely due to the time of day in which someone chose to enter his shop. Nevertheless, he adorned a feigned smile and greeted the two.

“Good evening to-” The tailor halted in his tracks as he looked between the soldier and Geirolf, his eyes lingering on the iron cuffs around the prisoner’s wrists. He carried distinct scars along his face and neck that deformed his features. “Wh…”

“No questions,” Ender commanded. The tailor nodded sheepishly before hesitantly approaching Geirolf.

“It’ll take at least two days to craft this man a decent outfit,” the tailor said. “And I can't do anything with him wearing those cuffs, you know.”

“We’ll take what you have already made,” Ender said. He looked over at Geirolf as the tailor obeyed and disappeared into the back. “I know your sentence is bullshit, but we’ve got to work on our relations. You need a shave and a cut to look a little less like your wanted fliers. That would eventually mean no chains but I'll honestly keep you in cuffs if it means I don't have to deal with your stupid ass running off. You do understand I'm here to help you, right?”

Outside in the square the bard finished his tune and rolled onto another one just as lively but without lyrics. It was at this time a man approached the cart dressed in fine robes of creams and greens. His eyes, glowing just like Aveline’s, denoted his profession. He carried himself with a haughty air, nose almost upturned as he plucked a shuck of corn from the cart to feign examination as he spoke to Aveline.

“This hardly seems like our kind of work,” he said, and then studied Maes and Abrecan thoughtfully. “Does the High Queen know you've taken a detour? Oh, Lord be, tell me you haven't defected.”

He placed the corn back onto the cart and smiled. The Blood Mage was an older fellow, likely one of the eldest still alive in such a profession. There was only one man who fit that description, and he had a bit of a reputation among the higher echelon.

“Gregory Thadorius,” he introduced as his smile etched lines along his face. His hair was nearly gone leaving a peppered halo around his crown. “I'm in transit to important affairs, but it is my understanding there is a soldier here with a rather precious… package headed for Redden. Have any of you seen a soldier about?”

@Red Thunder @Shizuochan @BearEnthusiast @CloudyBlueDay

West of Soper

Alexander spared a glance towards Saren as she sat herself down under a tree. Her lack of interest in the task at hand proved to be more of a detriment. The two women at risk were now divided as Arabella agreed to search for firewood. Zahar seemed a man of honor, but it was not his responsibility to guard either of them.

“Do not stray too far from here,” he advised Arabella. “If you can't see me you've gone too far. Let’s wait to unpack until Belhund comes back.”

He gathered moss for kindling that clung to the tree bark and gathered what sticks he could find into a pile near the center of the clearing. It wasn't glamorous by any means, and likely nothing a noblewoman ever had to experience, especially a Dynagra. The Aegis spared a glance towards the heiress with a bit of concern. Their future travels would not be fortunate for her and her expectations.

“I apologize for all this,” he said genuinely. He glanced over to Arabella to make sure she was still in view. Zahar had wandered off by then, but at least there was still Miss Dane and Lady Dynagra. “It's the best we can do for the situation. Redden was compromised. I couldn't in good conscience leave you there. But… This road we are taking won't be easy. Would you like to learn how to make a fire?”

The evening was settling closer to night and Marnia had yet to return from Soper. It seemed he needed a distraction just as much as the rest of them. If she did not return it would keep him up through the night. Alexander had always struggled containing his worry, but he burdened himself with far too much to let it go. Already he was planning a detour to Soper in the morning to track Marnia’s journey and find out what happened to her. He wished Zahar would return so that he could give the man the task to search for her in the night. But what if he was gone too?

“Both of you,” he said as he looked over to Arabella. “Learning how to build a fire is an essential survival lesson. I would be more than happy to teach you both. It's a good opportunity.”

@Doctor Jax @Elle Joyner @rissa @Starlighter

2jzKIwJ.png

She worked quietly, and quickly, but efficiently, gathering sticks and twigs, moss and leaves from around the vicinity. It might've been faster if she had been able to stray farther, but the territory was unfamiliar as it was, without her needing to worry about her safety and she wouldn't put undue stress on the Aegis when the situation was complicated enough on it's own.

With her arms full, she returned to the center of the grove and dropped what she had gathered, tucking loose hairs behind her ears as her eyes drifted upwards to the path Marnia had taken. It had been some time, and Zahar as well, had gone, but neither had returned. The corner of her lip twisted down into a delicate frown...

Surely there was no cause to worry. She was a squire, and her Aegis would not have sent her off if he didn't find her competent... But the encroaching darkness would have been dangerous, even without the trouble they were all facing.

Turning back to Alex, she smiled, politely, "Ah... Thank you, Sire. My... my father taught me. Working at the forge, it was rather a necessary skill to have, and when we he would take me tracking... But it has been some time, since..." Her eyes flickered over to the noblewoman and her shoulders tipped in a shrug, "I'm sure I could use the reminder..."

Reactions: Starlighter
Maes Harrow
Hobble

The look of incredulity Maes had given Abrecan slowly disappeared as the bard's tune floated across the wind, seeming to the farmer to almost guide it and direct it. Ah, Bobilian. It had been so long since he'd heard that song. He was filled with a desire to grab his lute and join in. But no; the produce needed selling. Work before pleasure. Almighty knew that Abrecan wasn't doing them favors with his rather flamboyant methods.

Finally an older man approached, empty bag over one shoulder, walking upright but stiffly. Maes smiled at his approach, gesturing as he did to the small selection.

"Good day to you, sir! What might you be needing?"

"The wife sent me for a few beets and yams," he replied, scratching ill-managed stubble absentmindedly. "Thought I'd see if you had a melon or two as well."

"Of course!" Maes began gathering the items in question. The customer handed his sack to the farmer, who began filling it. "Twenty coppers, please."

The old man finished the transaction and left, leaving Maes to pocket the coins. Perhaps this trip wouldn't be so bad! Yet his spirits fell as the well dressed figure approached, and he eyed the telltale glow of the Blood Mage's eyes with distrust. The reaction surprised him. Aveline seemed like a decent person thus far, despite her, eh, preexisting magical condition and overly aggressive commands. Maybe this new Mage wouldn't be so bad, either. Best give him the benefit of the doubt. So Maes pointed in the direction the soldier had taken his prisoner.

"Um, yes, actually. They stepped off that way." They. Thadorius hadn't actually mentioned a second person, but Maes failed to make that connection. He proffered the man a melon. "Should be back before too long. Care for a snack while you wait?"

@Effervescent @Shizuochan @CloudyBlueDay

GEIROLF WOLFF @Effervescent
"Really? That's great to hear. You know what soldier, I'm starting to think you might have a lil' bit of a crush on me. First you come to my cell, my knight in...er...black armor and now its like you can never leave my side! Must get a kick seeing me all chained and powerless like huh?" Geirolf laughed a laugh that could be heard all throughout the shop, and perhaps even outside.

So amused with himself, the prisoner nearly keeled over but stood steady by grabbing a hold of nearby linen strung up by strings. His hands smeared dirt across the intricate design but the Wolf paid no mind. He found himself incredibly curious as to when his keeper would draw the line, so being Geirolf he decided he would keep on pushing until he found out.

"Now you want me to go play dress up, how fuckin charming. At least buy a man a meal first before you try dictating what he wears." Geirolf shot him a wide grin and a wink, before leaning casually against a nearby table. His chains clinked with each movement and rattled all the way till where the soldier held them.

Geirolf's eyes drifted up and down Ender's figure. He took in the other man's appearance, not particularly lecherously, but soon enough a conclusion came to mind. He spoke up, barely managing to keep in a coming fit of laughter as he spoke. "Hell it's probably just the sheer amount of months talking but I'm yours if you want me."

He burst out laughing, only slowing down when he realized that the tailor had joined them back into the main room. The Wolf mostly ignored the older man's presence, instead turning back to Ender and speaking as if they were the only two in the room. His sarcasm was obvious, if not acted with great passion. "Oooh! I really do hope he brought me something to wear as ugly as Watermelon's out there."

Last edited by a moderator:
AVELINE EIBHLIN
The Shadow-wielding soldier returned her snark readily, and was only met with more grins. Aveline knew she was getting on his nerves, but she thought it best to keep him at a distance such as the way she was doing. He had to know she wasn’t going to be bossed around by, well.. Whomever he was. He mocked the way she said High Ruler, but it bothered her little. He could think whatever he liked.

The farmer asked for her help selling his merchandise, and she scoffed. “That’s nice, but do you really think my presence will sell your produce any faster? I’ll stay in the back. You’ll do fine.” She said with a sigh, taking her presence to the side, keeping out of the way.

But her posture instantly straightened at the sight of another blood mage approaching them. Had news of her failure already made it back somehow? No. Impossible. He was here on some other business. He looked elderly, sophisticated. Instantly her disposition became that of an underling, and she stood to attention. It must be..

“No, I haven’t defected.” She said haughtily, and the farmer interrupted with his directions of where the soldier went. “The soldier is the reason I am here. I was sent to retrieve..” She glanced at Abrecan and Maes.

“..items for the High Ruler. On my way back I happened upon the soldier and these men with him, including the Wolf of the Valley which he's taken into the town. I offered my presence as protection in order to stay with them and keep an eye out. The soldier wields shadow. I saw it myself.”

She shifted. “As well as the fact that both these men have received insignias.”

@Effervescent @Red Thunder @Shizuochan

The Long Walk

a collab between @DoctorJax and @rissa

There was a taste of bile in the back of his throat. It tasted like fear and weakness, vile with a hint of shadow. Zahar kept glancing back over his shoulder, paranoia and a sense of doom compelling his every step. He had a firm grip on Marnia, the Aegis squire and kept his haste pace.

“How are you faring?” Zahar inquired worriedly. “We aren’t too far away, we will be there soon.”

Marnia did her best to keep up with Zahar's lengthy stride. It was not often that she could not keep pace with someone, but this was not one of those times. She felt nauseous, her anxiety trolling at a fever pitch.

"Just....just winded. Feelin' sick. I don't ken what I saw, it just weren't..." Marnia said, still shaken.

Zahar nodded in stride. "It might relive the feeling if you were to retch..." He hesitated, flushing slightly. "The other way, if you would."

He slowed ever so slightly, giving her the chance to do as he suggested but kept their movement nonetheless. A shade attack sent alarms through every fiber of his being and he was half tempted to throw the squire over his shoulder and run. But he kept his cool, probed with his arcane when it seemed like the situation was too much, and clung to the squire.

Worried about not making it back in time. Worried about leaving her behind.

"What are we to do, Belhund? When we get back, we should leave immediately, yes?"

Marnie set her mind on the task at hand, doing her best not to upend the contents of her stomach. She huffed a breath and said, "we'll make trees jealous, what with all our leaving. Soon as breathing, we'll get up on the griffons and go."

The forest seemed dark, darker than she remembered. She cherished the touch of someone close, glad she wasn't alone, keeping up the pace.

"I believe tha's them. I see fire."

Despite the darkness and severity of the situation, Zahar laughed. And then kept on snickering, unsure entirely of why he was able to.

"We'll make the trees jealous, hm?" Zahar finally said, getting a grip on himself. "I apologize, Belhund, for my outburst. It's hardly the time. But yes.. Yes, that's the fire. Let's hurry."

Marnia smiled despite the situation. It was one of her few virtues-- a sense of humor. If not for that, many a situation would have overwhelmed her to the point of inaction. Alas, her humor had kept her going for years, and she saw no reason to stop now.

"Old sayin' aboard the mount is 'at a good laugh scares off the dark," Marnie panted as she saw the light of the fire grow ever closer. "Hobble me to Alex, 'n I'll explain t' the best of my ability whatever passed."

Zahar chuckled as he half-dragged the squire forward. The fire was almost night blinding and the closer the pair got, the more he squinted and averted his eyes; he need to be able to see his surroundings as the Aegis and squire consulted.

"Here," He grunted as he deposited Belhund beside the fire. "I'll keep watch while you explain."

"Thanks," Marnie said with a tip of her head as she looked over to her mentor. There was a lot she was going to have to say, and say quickly. Hopefully he could keep up with her brogue. [/hr]

Abrecan felt almost bitter disappointment when the farmer decided against heeding his 'advice'. With the right intonation and market, his offered technique may well have found purchase - yet even if he could con the sun from the sky, Abrecan could not possibly feign good intentions. A shame to miss out on such base entertainment. He guffawed as the man collected his beets and yams, donning a visage of suggestion and mischief.

"For his wife, my good farmer? I am beyond certain he would have greatly appreciated the libidinous elixir of cucumber flesh. A missed opportunity!"

The man of pinks and greens eyed the visitor of creams and greens, and the eyes that glowed. Abrecan, even before the Insignia had marked him, was a man of persistent habit, who carefully observed the natures, movements of whims of strange men. Strange men were dangerous, strange Blood Mages - if that could be considered anything other than a redundancy - more so. Making a conscious effort to fade into the background, Abrecan procured an apple from the farmer's wares, without even the slightest consideration for having overstepped his bounds.

He bit into it as he overheard the exchange of the Magus and his own fellow travellers. What graced his ears was puzzling, and that delighted Abrecan. The Wolf was the subject of some intrigue it seemed, and the Blood Mages were involved. If he had not come across the Insignia, he would have distanced himself at the earliest possibility. Yet, his own safety seemed to depend on remaining in such esoteric company. And so.

In for a coin...

Saren Dynagra[font=constantia, 6]
West of Soper
[/font]
Still lost in her own little world, it took Saren a moment to realize that the Aegis was addressing her. She was ignoring the Dane woman, as well as the Aegis for that matter, and not overly pleased at the interruption of her solitude. However, an apology was a somewhat more acceptable reason to disturb her, she supposed.

The part of her that was sensible and self reliant understood that the Aegis was right, and there really was nothing he could do about it. It was what it was, and if she wanted to stay alive, then she was just going to have to deal with it until all of this was over. Traipsing about at night had taught her a long time ago that the world wasn't all so rosy as she was supposed to think.

But then there was the fact that no one knew about those experiences, and there was the face she was too used to portraying - the one she was supposed to never take off.

With an annoyed glance over at the Aegis, Saren sat up and adjusted her cloak around herself. Isn't making fires what the rest of you are for? Personally she didn't really see the value in learning to do something like that. There would always be the others about to do it, and if she ever was on her own in a position where using a 'skill' like that was needed.... well, contriving a situation where she wouldn't be dead before she could use it was slightly beyond her imagination.

She opened her mouth to tell the Aegis as much, but hesitated, looking over at Arabella. Slowly, her jaw dropped. She stood up, stumbling slightly on the edge of her cloak but pretending not to notice. Her fists clenched tightly to the point of turning her knuckles white, and her face paled to a similar ghosty shade.

"Forge, Miss Dane? Dare I ask what you did in the service of your blacksmith father?" She snorted. "Somehow I doubt making fires was the extent of it, with a face like yours."

@Effervescent @Elle Joyner

2jzKIwJ.png

There it was. Somehow, however they hurt, they never surprised. She had spent so much of her life watching her father battle that unkind and presumptuous attitude, and then had fought it herself. For the better part of three years, she had to endure her father's death being tainted by suppositions and bitter, hateful remarks.

She received everything from looks of pity, to expressions of derision, and yet, no matter how she tried to explain, her words... her reassurances went unheeded. Unheard. And she should nkt have expected much different in this company. Yet she had, somehow, and like a slap, the words left her feeling jarred and dazed.

Her eyes burning, she swallowed down the knot in her throat, shaking her head, but as she opened her mouth to inform the woman of her misconstrued suggestion, from the corner of her eye she noticed the pair moving closer to the fire. It was Zahar, and upon closer inspection, he appeared to be carrying the squire... "Lady Marnia!" Arabella gasped.

Rising swiftly, Saren's comments all but forgotten for the moment, she turned to the Aegis with a frown of concern, "I'll get some water..." And grateful to move away from the noblewoman's stare, she made for the space where their supplies had been gathered.

Maes Harrow
Hobble

"It's true." Fumbling briefly inside a pocket, the farmer extracted the parchment he'd found some days ago. As with the melon, he offered it to the new Blood Mage to view, though with perhaps some small hesitation. "Showed up in my produce one day on my trip east. Out of nowhere. Still not sure what it really means, though the soldier fellow seems to think I should stick with him."

Maes blinked, glancing at Aveline with raised eyebrows. The lady Blood Mage was doing something for the High Ruler, and she still stuck around? That old flower on the paper wasn't that impressive or important, was it? He scratched his chin in thought, easing some of the irritation brought about by his creeping beard. There hadn't been much in the way of chance to shave since meeting all his new...friends, he supposed. One didn't travel so far with people and not call them friends. Even if one was in shackles. Anyway, he'd hoped to shave in Hobble, but it had seemed they wouldn't stay long enough for him to get that chance. Maybe this newcomer's presence would change that.

Anyway, the two that had stepped off were taking their time getting back, and save for a few more customers, business was slow. Sifting through the cart, Maes pulled out an apple. He drew out a small knife and got to work on it, carving small slices off to enjoy.

"So," he queried to no one in particular between bites as he leaned against the cart, "what's the fuss about the insignia? The solider didn't say much about it."

@Effervescent @Shizuochan @CloudyBlueDay

The Village of Hobble

“Thank you, but no,” the Blood Mage said to Maes’s offer of produce. He eyed over the insignia etched with Eudicia’s trademark. “I'll meet them where they are. It seems I’ve got some intriguing business ahead of me.” He then glanced over to Aveline with a smirk. “You know, you ought not to call her High Ruler if you’re not a defector. It’s rather...confusing to send such a mixed message. Some may see it as disrespect. And what a travesty that would be to be a supporter and yet disrespectful. Have a good day.”

Gregory Thadorius entered the tailor’s shop by the sound of a bell, his narrow face fixed with the slightest of smiles. His gait made him look as though he were floating as he glided over to where Geirolf was making a scene. The soldier next to the criminal held the chains of his cuffs in one hand and a dirty shirt in the other. Ender’s patience was clearly being prodded, yet it seemed the soldier carried with him a focused mind. It was enough to broaden Thadorius’s smile just ever so slightly more as he approached the pair. The tailor looked about ready to cry before his attention snapped to the newcomer, taking note of his recognizable glowing eyes.

“How can I help you this fine day?” the tailor asked as his voice cracked on inflection. His head nodded over to Geirolf in a silent plea.

“I'm here for a little chat with these two,” Thadorius answered warmly.

“Thank god,” the tailor said in his sigh of relief. “Let me know if I'm needed. I'll be in the back.”

As the tailor quickly vacated the room, Ender turned towards the Blood Mage. “He wants to elope, but we’ve nothing to wear,” he explained in jest. Thadorius didn't seem to find it funny despite his remaining smile.

“The Wolf of the Valley,” Thadorius observed. He stared at the man as if looking straight through him, ever fixed and never wavering with a blink. “I’m Magi Thadorius.”

“He tried to run away once,” Ender said. “That's why I still have to lug him around on a leash.”

“A pity,” the Blood Mage added as he peeled his gaze away from the alleged criminal. “Chains are not a good look. Have you tried the satin?”

“They might only have watermelon colors,” said Ender. A frown flickered on Thadorius’s thin lips. And he brought his hand up to stroke the tuft of a beard patch upon his chin in thought.

“You shouldn't delay your delivery,” Thadorius said.

“You're more than welcome to take him from here.”

“Do your job, soldier,” the Magi snapped, and then turned to Geirolf once again. “I believe you to be an innocent man, Mr. Wolff. “I look forward to your trial.”

“Did you need something from us or are you here for the lace?” Ender asked dryly. Thadorius stared blandly at the soldier for a moment.

“Yes, well,” the Magi began with a sigh, “as much as I find him innocent, he seems a handful. No offense, Wolff, but I see you're much too similar to my son and it's a bit of a hassle. Of course, that is the intent, but as an official representative of High Queen Jashyr herself I hereby give this soldier permission to kill you should he deem it more fit for his other mission.”

“Other mission?” Ender repeated in confusion.

“Yes, the farmer and his produce outside,” Thadorius answered. “The magi with them informed me of their unfortunate note. And of your...gift. You really should watch out for anyone watching, soldier. But I suppose we all have our vices, and I have better things to do than to report you. And you have better things to do than fooling around with the likes of this man if he causes too much trouble. That poor farmer and the dapper man are a far greater priority. They’d better make it to a safe place. Or I will come for you.”

The cryptic nature of Thadorius’s wording caused Ender pause, eyes narrowing contemplatively before offering a curt nod. “Then I best be on my way,” he said.

“Without a new outfit?” Thadorius jokingly asked.

Nothing about this situation was going smoothly. He had a Blood Mage on his ass and a rowdy criminal who apparently didn't even care about a deal for his life. Alleged criminal, anyway. Ender had always been taught that what may seem the obvious answer may not be the true answer. And so they parted ways from Thadorius after purchasing a simple pair of pants and the shirt Geirolf had dirtied with his hands. This was it for the pseudo-soldier.

In the alley between the tailor’s and a residence, Ender uncuffed Geirolf and handed over the mostly clean set of clothes. “Do with your life what you will,” he said. “Fuck the world and its rules. I know you don't want to deal with me or my shit and I've got two people out there I need to save. You’ll just get in the way with the way you've been. So live your life. You're welcome.”

He didn't really give the man the time to respond with a quip, at least not to his face. Ender turned and marched right out of the alley with a purpose. It possibly wasn't the right thing to do, but he wasn't a man to care for rights and wrongs to begin with. He returned to Maes’s cart sans the criminal that began the whole adventure.

“Destination still stands,” Ender informed the trio as he hopped into the back of the cart. “We head for Redden. We can make it to Hadoume before nightfall. They should have available lodging for the lot of us.”

@Red Thunder @Shizuochan @BearEnthusiast @CloudyBlueDay

West of Soper

The Aegis was visibly rigid as Arabella came over to aid with the preparation of the fire. But despite something about her presence tensing his posture, he remained otherwise professional. His eyes glanced over to the countess in their midst as she refused to lift a finger. Her life was something even he as a noble couldn’t rightly fathom. Saren likely endured a very different upbringing than he resulting in the woman before them. Her very survival would, indeed, depend heavily on those around her. Marnia and Alexander were dutiful in their oaths and resolve. Despite Lady Dynagra’s frosty demeanor, they would protect her life at whatever cost. It was their calling, after all. And every life mattered.

But Marnia’s return, arm wrapped around Zahar’s neck for support, rang alarms in Alexander’s soul. He immediately stood before the kindling had proper time to catch a spark. She looked haggard and sickly upon approach, and he looked between the two for answers. Something happened, and it looked to him the same aftershock one suffered after an invasion of Shadow Magic.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw the countess approach, and while the lesson was on pause, it was still a tad relieving to see the noblewoman give in. If only just for a moment. It appeared the woman latched onto the word that gave way to Arabella’s background. Her father was a blacksmith. He knew as much due to their own paths crossing at the man’s untimely demise. It seemed Arabella did not recognize him still. Or perhaps she did and it was only a matter of time before she exacted revenge. Was she even the sort?

Lady Dynagra crossed the line when accusing Arabella of more than just being a humble daughter to a blacksmith. Blacksmiths, after all, still held the negative stigma left behind by the unsavory guild that made their trade more than just steel and horse shoes. It was a scandal that swept the entirety of Estwynd harboring ill will towards any blacksmith even if they were not part of the unfortunate underworld trade market. Arabella’s father was an innocent man to such crimes committed by the Guild of Blacksmiths to which inspired his end.

He could see the hurt it caused Arabella which only furthered the fire in his own being. “That was uncalled for,” Alexander said to Saren sternly. “There’s absolutely no reason to be judgemental towards anyone here today. I can’t separate you two, and I can’t have you going off on your own. So learn to deal with whatever prejudices you are harboring towards an innocent woman.”
His voice trailed off in his reprimand as he noticed the woods behind the countess fade with the gray of fog. It settled far off at the top of the hill and began spilling down the slope behind Saren. “Time to pack up,” Alexander said as he made his way over to the gryphons. They flapped their wings and snapped at the air anxiously. “Marnia, are you alright to fly? The fog is coming. Which way did Miss Dane head off to?”

He made his way over to the supplies nearly tripping over Arabella in the process. “Apologies, Miss Dane!” he said as he scooped one of the packs up and secured it to the saddle. “Marnia, we’ll discuss what happened when we get to a safe place. Is Soper Northfold run today?”

@Doctor Jax @Elle Joyner @rissa @Starlighter