Eternal War Saga: Awakening

B

BradokUnbound

Original poster
f54f9ff39e57b38a0ed4a4d336f84ea1.png
"And so it was that the Lord of Death should perish in the Eternal War. Almearia had prevailed against it's terrible foe. Yet no songs were sung, nor feasts held. For his doom would breed a host of mortal progeny. Through whom his work would continue."
-Exert: Zebbarra's Chronicle of the Eternal War

17a8e495d0ef6144b5d9760c2ef6235d.png

Before time became time and living things breathed first breath, there was war. Two immortal realms conjoined in their voracious struggle for supremacy. Almearia, the White Citadel, it's knights valiant and pure. The Nether Realm Raskar, with legions of unearthly horrors under it's domain. Through the void and across strange eons their contest would wage unabated. Yet amidst the destruction there wrought, new foundation was lain. Another plane would come to be.

The Mortal Realm drew wary eye from it's older kin. For millennia they observed from afar the queer machinations of these Humans and their fleeting existence. While the Eternal War tore across the cosmos a new battlefield was found in the lives of mortals. Agents of the militant realms descended, weaving intricate plots to influence the unsuspecting. Through this strength was gained. The Human soul revealing itself to be a potent elixir.

It was Almearia that first harnessed the soul's power. It was discovered that prayer shed excess energy akin to a soul. In the White Citadel this energy was gathered and bestowed upon Almearia's people. Agents withing the Mortal Realm would thus create miracles to incite further prayer. With this method Almearia had and advantage, and pushed Raskar into the depths of the Nether Realm.

Weakened, Raskar new it's salvation lay in the power of souls as well. Yet that was not so easy a road to travel. Almearia already gathered the prayers of Humans. Taking that from them would be a battle destined for defeat. So it was that Raskar devised it's own way to gather souls. It would not take prayers, no. Raskar's agents would offer mortals whatever their heart desired, in exchange for the entirety of their soul.

Thus the war began anew. In this era an Overlord would appear from Raskar to take the reigns of leadership. Known simply as the Lord of Death, this figure laid waste to Almearia at every turn. His ability was unlike any seen in the Nether Realm before, and his loyalists followed him zealously. For centuries he cut a swath of blood through Almearian ranks. So much so that many now foresaw an end to the Eternal War. However, this was not to be.

In the end it was not grand battle or fierce duel that ended the Lord of Death, but betrayal. The other Overlords of the Nether Realm, fearing what would become of them after the war's end, joined together with Almearia. Slaughtering all those that followed the Lord of Death before coming for him. Outmatched he did not resist their attacks. Hot flashes of steel and magic bore through him as his assassins completed their task. Yet no woe marked his face, nor tears his eyes. Only a crooked grin curled across his lips as his fading voice wove a curse. His death would bring final ruin to Almearia and Raskar both, and all whom stood against him.

• Hello Iwaku!
    Recently I've undertaken a rediscovery of my love for Anime/Manga. Though, I don't usually venture down this avenue of role-playing. That being said I've dabbled with this plot for little over a month, and since I just joined up I figured I would post it here instead of my more frequent sites. The hope is this will get the ball rolling for me in the vein of GM'ing, role-playing, and generally getting to know you guys. I'm open to criticism/opinions/your two cents! Let me know what you think so I can better my craft.

• Story:
    Our story focuses on a group of young people and their growing realization that things aren't quite what they appear to be. Strange phenomena are occurring at rising rates, all seemingly centered around the city of Yoshaka and the surrounding areas. Odd sightings, disappearances, and even deaths spring up on media outlets. With summer closing in and the school year wrapping up there's a lot more than vacation on some student's minds. When the appearance of a red moon coincides with a classmate vanishing the race is on to unravel Yoshaka's mystery!

Information:
    You can tell by that little introductory piece that this should play out like a typical Supernatural/Mystery Manga. I left a lot vague because I don't want to ruin to plot I have planned. What I can reveal is that the story will follow a group of teens known as the Branded and their allies. A good parallel to how I expect the first Arc to run would be the first season of Bleach. Our characters would be young, inexperienced, and over their head. Trying to do what they think best in situations that defy normal logic.

The mortal progeny from the little quote at the top are going to play a big part of the role-play. That is not to say they will forever be the focal point of our story, but a necessary plot device to kick-start things in the direction I wish to take them.

I like combat in my role-pays, but I do no like combat oriented role-plays. I usually run at least a 2:1 ration with dialogue over fighting. That being said there will be good old fashioned shounen powered showdowns to get our blood up.

While I do have a set plot written out on how I want things to proceed, I GM rather openhanded. If you have an idea for the overall plot, your character, my character, or whatever, I wanna know about it. Communication is key. Even if it's something that might not happen in the near foreseeable future still tell me.

I'm also big on letting role-play decide outcomes. I might try to push characters towards a certain destination or outcome, but it's my job as GM to adapt the story to your choices. If role-play moves things away from what I planned then I'll plan something else. Don't be afraid to push the envelope!

• Yoshaka City
    Yoshaka is a medium size city situated near the Japanese Alps. It has a large city-center comprised of office buildings, shopping districts, a subway system, and other odds and ends found in such places. Surrounding the city are smaller communities consisting of rural townships and suburbs. Further still a few agricultural hubs of farmland dot it's outskirts.

Information:
    I never really go in to detail naming specific locales within a setting unless they pop up during role-play. Yoshaka is pretty diverse so unless it's outrageous, no locale you decided to make up will be incorrect. Later in the role-play I will assemble a list of places we've been before or continually visit just for reference. The list will include both my own creations and places you've made up as well, so don't be shy when fleshing out your location!

• Information:
    So, it took me a while to decide how I wanted to do this. I thought about outlining everything. Almearians, Raskarans, Branded, Humans, then let people pick what they wanted and figure out how to work the plot around that. In the end, for cohesion's sake, I decided against that. So for the start of this role-play only two types of people will be allowed to join. Humans, and the Branded. I do intend to allow different types like Demi-Humans at a later date, but for now just these two.

The Branded
    The Branded are the mortal children of the Lord of Death. His final act of aggression against his foes. They are Human in just about every way save for one. Each of The Branded possesses a Boon. A magical aspect that enhances a trait or quirk inherent to them to supernatural proportions.

Boons are not combat abilities! You don't get magic fire hands or lazer breath. Boons are more subtle and fall in line with a character's personality. For example: A nerdy girl the spends a lot of time reading may be able to temporarily absorb all the knowledge in a book she touches. |or| The kid that fights all the time may have a sixth sense that lets him sense danger. |or| The girl that spends all her time in the forest might be able to understand animals. Things like that.

Like the name suggests Branded are also, branded yaaaay! A magical sigil will appear over your heart sometime in the beginning of the role-play. It does nothing for your character other than mark you. Otherworldly beings will be able to sense that you are marked and come for you.

Humans:
    You are just an average everyday person making his way in the world, kinda. To offset the fact Branded get a special Boon I let Humans have a sort of advanced start. No you still don't get any fancy smancy abilities, but stuff maybe as good!?

Human characters will be allowed to start with a mastery of over whatever they desire. For Example: The guy in a martial arts club could be an expert in his field. |or| The girl in the archery club could be a master marksman. |or| The delinquent may have be incredibly durable because he fights a lot.

It's just a way to balance the field and show that no one is over-powered or solely special. Be warned though, that despite having this advanced start I still expect a character to act accordingly. I.E: Don't try to showboat by rushing enemies or acting superior.

Note that your first ability will be required to tie in to your chosen mastery! See abilities section for more.

Character Skelly
    The Character Skelly is just a rough outline of what is require for a character. I love to cool and unique character sheets so feel free to customize.
    Code:
    [Insert Image Here]
    Name: [Real names only, no honorifics. First and Last name format.]
    Alias: [A nickname, can be whatever.]
    Age: [15-21 years old. Branded characters must be 16-17.]
    Sexuality: [Hetero, Homo, etc]

Hair Color: [This is anime so go crazy!]
    Eye Color: [Same as above.]
    Height: [In feet and inches.]
    Weight: [In pounds.]
    [hr][/hr]

Boon: [Branded receive a special gift known as a Boon due to their hidden lineage. A Boon is a special talent that cannot be replicated with Powers. Boons are subtle and are second nature to their user. The use of a Boon is undetectable by everyone, save for powerful beings and other Branded. A boon should always play off the personality and traits of a character. It should also not be an overly offensive or aggressive skill, but more of a passive talent.]

Powers: [Upon creation only one power may be listed here. The composition of said power is entirely up to you. Your first power should be weak in power so you have room to grow it and future abilities.

Powers must follow a theme through the rest of your character's life. If you choose an elemental power for example, you must use that element, advanced forms of that element, or corresponding elements only.

Human characters must relate their first Power to their chosen Mastered Skill.]

Skills: [Skills are physical or mental abilities that correspond to your character. Anything from specific martial arts training to hacking, or sleight of hand.

Skills are ranked thusly: Poor-Average-Good-Very Good-Master

Upon creation characters are only allowed one Very Good ranked skill.

Humans are allowed to have Master instead of Very Good in any one skill.

Upon creation only three skills are allowed.]

Items: [Optional, any specific item or gear you wish to more specifically outline. You are not required to do this in order to use an item in the role-play.]
    [hr][/hr]

Appearance: [At least one paragraph describing your character's physical appearance.]

Personality: [At least one paragraph describing your character's personality.]

History: [At least one paragraph describing your character's pre-creation history.]

• Psychic Awakening:
    The first arc of this role-play will center on the discovery of psychic powers by our characters. The strange phenomena around the city and this revelation tying in to one another. Abilities can be just about anything within reason. The discovery of said abilities will happen within the role-play at different points for different people to make for a more cohesive story.

That said there are a few things to know:
    1. You create your own abilities.
    2. You create your first ability when you create your character.
    3. Everyone unlocks new abilities at different times, but everyone does unlock new abilities.
    4. Abilities are usually unlocked through training, intense situations, or plot events.
    5. A GM will message you when you've unlocked a new ability.
    6. If you feel you deserve a new ability and have not been messaged, then contact your GM.

Skills:
      These are physical and mental aspects that your character is versed in. These can be anything from martial arts to tactics. Like with your powers just use your imagination and think something good up!

Rules for Skills:
      1. Skills are ranked thusly: Poor, Average, Good, Very Good, Master.
      2. Humans are allowed to start with any one skilled ranked Master.
      3. Like powers skills are gained and grow over time.
      4. Characters are allowed to start with three skills.
      5. Only one skill ranked Very Good on creation.
      Powers:
      These are your actual psychic gifts. Their composition is really up to you. I allow just about anything here as long as it isn't too crazy. There are only a couple of rules that really go along with your powers, both of which are fairly simple.

Those rules being:
      1. Start small. Your first power should generally be weak. Powers grow stronger as characters do so this won't always be the case, but just take that in mind. If for example, your character is going to be a pyromancer. Then your first power could be shooting a fireball roughly the size of an eraser.
      2. Stick to a theme. You shouldn't have abilities all over the place. Everything should tie together. For example, if your first power had something to do with controlling/creating fire then so should your next power. Then so on, and so on, etc.
      3. Humans are required to tie their first ability in with their skill mastery. So, for example, a Human could have chosen to be a kendo expert. If they wanted their powers to involve fire, then they would have to manipulate fire around their kendo stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Cush Almighty
    //wave wave
    not to be bothersome, but i do have two questions c:
    is there a posting schedule? and any posting expectations, like paras or whatnot?

Reactions: BradokUnbound
    @oh-amor!!
    I try not to really push strict posting rules when I can avoid it. I really only ever keep two universally through role-plays I GM.

1. One paragraph of 5-6 sentences minimum. Though more is always welcome.
    2. I like things to move quickly so one post a day if you can manage. One post a week minimum.
    It takes at most 30-40 minutes to scan through post and think of a decent reply. Typing 6 sentences doesn't take very long either. I only keep these two rules in check to ensure no one-liners are posted and people invest proper respect to the story their peers are helping create.

I'll always type a minimum of three paragraphs, often more, but no one else is expected to.

@BradokUnbound
    ah, cool. then im interested. o: thanks for the clarification.

Hey guys, here's what I have on my character sheet so far for reference. Hope it helps.
    [fieldbox="Rei Otumo, red, solid"]
    fc62e243c0e8ce8ea895658297c39083.jpg

Name: Rei Otumo
    Alias: None
    Sexuality: Heterosexual

Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Red
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 155lbs

Character

Boon: Rei's Boon is called Power-nap. After becoming too tired or too injured, Rei will fall into a deep slumber that burns away fatigue and damage. The more fatigued and injured Rei becomes the more sleepy he gets. Having little control over his Boon Rei will eventually collapse from exhaustion, into a sleep that he cannot be woken from until he has recovered.

Powers:
    • Exertion- Rei burns up large amounts of stamina in exchange for a boost in speed, strength, and durability.

Skills:
    • Very Good: Martial Arts- Unwillingly, Rei has been forced to drill in traditional style of his family since a very early age. He is surprisingly talented for one so unmotivated and uncaring about the subject.
    • Good: Naturalist- Rei has spent a good deal of time in the forest through his life, most often when ditching chores or school. Because of this he knows a things or two about the wilderness.
    • Average: Useless Knowledge- Rei is a respiratory of odd facts and weird truths that do not really contribute much to any situation, except on very rare occasions.
    Items:
    • One Mon Coin- An old piece of Japanese currency given to Rei by his father when he was a child. Rei likes to roll it over his knuckle when in deep thought.

Concept
    Appearance: Rei appears to be a pretty average kid. A little under six-feet tall, on the lean side. Slightly toned in some places revealing he uses his muscles without being overtly muscular. His hair is on the shaggy side, a dark hue of brown. His eyes sport a particular shade of pale red which sets him apart from most normal people. If one should catch glimpse of him unclothed they would surely take notice in a long scar running the length of his back.

Personality: Rei embodies the spirit of the slacker. There is nothing better to him than a shady spot under a tree on a warm summer day. He does as little as possible as often as possible, refusing to acknowledge persons that wish to disturb him. He has a generally lackluster approach to most things as he attempts to merely skirt by in life.He has been known to uncharacteristically pick fights with certain people that come off as arrogant. As to why however, no one known.

History: W.I.P
    [/fieldbox]

Heyo! I'd be down for giving this a try (I don't mind playing as a normal human at all). Though, I should ask what the max player count you're looking for is?

Also, should we post finished CS'es here in the interest check, or will you be making another thread for them at some point ?

@Jakers
    Great to have you aboard! I'm going to set up an OOC and Character Index today, where people will be able to post their finished CS's.

I initially thought of a max of 8 characters for the first Story Arc. Three Branded and five Humans. I upped the Branded count to five so now the max is ten. That's as many people as I am comfortable handling on my own. If we get a lot more interest than that I may raise the cap and bring on a Co-GM.

• Thank You
    Reactions: Jakers
    Hey, this looks fantastic. Count me in as a human!

Heyo, I'm tentatively interested, though I am curious: what's your intended post schedule/speed for us players?

@Eru
    I tend to only have 2 posting rules in all my RP's.
    1. One paragraph, at least six sentences long, minimum. Though more is welcome.
    2. Try to post at least once a day, once a week minimum.

• Useful
    Reactions: Eru
    Hey! I'm dropping my interest here as well, if you're not overcrowded.

I can promise posts that have time, effort and thought put into them, although my posting speed might consistently just about reach your minimum, or 2/3 times a week on a good week. If that might be problematic, no hard feelings! (but otherwise this sounds neat)

@Shizuochan
    Thanks for the interest. I'm trying to count up everyone interested in the role-play but I do believe there is a slot or two left open.

If more interest is shown I'll be upping the max accepted characters and bringing on a GM. So if anyone is still interested be sure to let me know so we can make accommodations.

@Eru
    I tend to only have 2 posting rules in all my RP's.
    1. One paragraph, at least six sentences long, minimum. Though more is welcome.
    2. Try to post at least once a day, once a week minimum.
    O heck, I don't know about once per day ._. but I could try for once a week at the least, and it's possible I could get into a good posting rhythm again after a bit.

@Eru
    Awesome! That sounds great to me I shoot for once a day to keep the story moving as fast as I can, but somewhere within the span of a week is fine as well.

Posting schedules really don't impact RP too much until mass scenes occur. With the number of people wanting to join this RP I imagine we'll have a few different scenes unfolding at the same time. I won't actually move the plot wholly forward until everyone catches up, but this will allow people that post at different speeds to all be accommodated.