Error - 3^07

• Thread starter YamiCuoreLaroux
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Felix hesitated for a second. "There is no external damage to the system, as far as I'm able to tell without looking. All core functions seem operational." He could see slight flickers of light in his left eye, and perhaps a few other things were taking a minute to recover from the recent impact, but those were small issues, and probably not necessary to bring attention to. "So I would believe that I am alright."

Accepting her hand and standing up, albeit a bit shakily for a moment, the android nodded in acknowledgement of her requests before starting out the door toward the kitchen again. "Right, I understand. There are a few more pancakes finished in the kitchen as well, but I didn't know how many you would want. I believe that there should be three on that plate." As he walked back to the kitchen, a sudden thought occurred to him and forced him to turn around for input. "You don't have any allergies, do you? I should have asked that as well, I'm sorry." He looked down to the side after asking the question, realizing that it would only make it worse if he had fallen while trying to deliver a potentially dangerous meal. That would be...embarrassing. That seemed to fit the scenario.

She sighed when he turned around, "Tomatoes, that's all. I guess I kinda react badly to usual milk too, but I don't have any of that here so it would be fun if you mixed and of it in." She explained and walked after him to get into the kitchen, "So what is the problem with you? Causing this much trouble..you have to have some malfunction." Jennah asked and sat down on her chair, offering him a soft smile as she put a chair out for him to sit down as well. "Let's eat..w-well I guess I will eat and you will have to endure watching it." She was, unlike most other people not all that bothered by being watched while eating, surely it wasn't the best experience but she was used to being watched a lot anyways. Jennah was already surprised to see that this robot was not just another thing sent from her parents to make sure she was alright. They often sent her people to watch her, so a robot that was capable of defending her in case any of the horrible scenarios her mother always imagined showed up it would have been a useful thing to have a robot that could fight them off.

"Tomatoes...hmm..." Felix looked up for a moment in thought, saving that valuable bit of information for future reference; it wouldn't be very good if he poisoned his owner. "And milk causes problems? Is it a general intolerance to lactose, perhaps? It explains the refrigerator contents somewhat, in any case."

He continued into the kitchen with Jennah, sitting down on the offered chair and considering a few ways to eliminate tomatoes from some of the recipes he had already recorded when he heard her question. Though the option to take it into account without a verbal response was his first instinct, he decided that he'd rather not risk a repeat of what happened earlier. "Are you still planning to send me back, then? Or is it just a fascination with my general errors? I'm afraid that I don't understand the purpose of the question well enough to provide a satisfactory answer." His face went back to its neutral expression as he answered, but he kept it turned away so as not to face her and spoke a bit more quietly.

After another moment, he stood up again. "...I should finish cleaning the kitchen, actually. Less for you to worry about when you've finished."

"It's only milk. lactose is fine in other things, but the usual milk you can buy in the shop is causing me trouble for some reason, I don't know anymore what kind off things it were in the milk, but cheese or most other things work fine, just not the usual milk from the stores." She explained, wondering a little as well, it was odd how her body reacted, but then again it wouldn't mind as much anyways, she'd be alright unless she sent him to buy things, which she wasn't about to do.

Jennah tasted the food and nodded in agreement, "For now you can stay I guess. I won't send you back unless you warn me about serious errors." She said with a wink, trying to let him know that he should avoid telling her or behaving like earlier. "I like your food though..it tastes good." She complimented before continuing to eat as he was about to get up she sighed, "At least stay a little while longer, I want to know what is going on in your head, I mean, are you thinking? Or is it just that you simply do things without questioning..not even thoughts?" Jennah never asked a robot these questions, she never had a chance either, but surely she was curious about what he'd tell her. "It would be weird to think about you as if you'd simply not care about things, just do everything because you can and it seems right, can you go against your program in any way?"

Felix hesitated, still standing. "I...would assume that quite a few things go on inside my head. Most physical processes require many checks and balances of their own, so it isn't quite like I can actually do anything without questioning or thinking..." He thought about the statement for a moment longer before speaking again. "Although, I'm not sure if 'thinking' would be completely accurate to say. I have a basic understanding of the human brain, but I still do not entirely understand the original thought process that mine is modeled after. Being made as a rough copy of something already existing in nature has its many drawbacks." He frowned slightly as he sat back down, finding it strange and probably discomforting to stand while speaking to a seated person in a casual setting. "Really, you are correct in your earlier assumptions that I'm not very human. I'm only a substitute, and a work in progress at that. It's impossible to perfectly imitate something that can perform and adapt so naturally, so I expect that I could be replaced by a system that performs better at any time. Luckily, I have at least eighteen months before anything comes close again, if the data is correct." He grew quiet again, thinking over the information.

"As for overriding the program, it is entirely possible in many situations, such as a paradox created by conflicting external and internal commands, for example. Or if a glitch appears in the system, but that's not always for the best, I'm sure you know. I wouldn't be surprised if one did appear after crashing a few more times like this morning, though." He shook his head, still noticing a few odd flickers in his eye and looking down to avoid showing any external signs. "Receiving illogical or potentially harmful orders are probably the easiest way to create an override, but anything that causes a conflict in the programming can likely be used to change it."

All his words and ever last sentence he spoke made her just get dizzy. She understood him, of course she did. He spoke really naturally by now and it was easy for her to follow him. Still it was so crazy to think about it the way he said it. He made it sound so hard to believe and so tough to live like that, yet here he was doing it. With a sigh she looked up at him and tried to find some sort of natural expression, surely it was clear to her that he was just imitating, just as he had said. "So why do you feel any needs to serve me? If I was to say I'd prefer living without you, would you just go and leave it be? Could you disobey me telling you to leave?" Jennah asked once again, certainly showing a concern. She wanted him gone soon, but she didn't expect it to be easy, but the way he spoke by now seemed to assure her that he'd leave the instant he was told to do so. "Is there anyone that could order you over me? Am I the only person you'd ever listen too, or are there more..like my parents for example?"

Felix smiled, closing his eyes for a moment. "It's in the basic programming to want to serve. More accurately: The programming desires a purpose, and the purpose to serve is programmed in as a solution. I suppose other purposes could be added, perhaps. There may be other reasons for such a thing, since the AI has developed enough to simulate a certain fondness for some things, persons included. That often takes time, though." Opening his eyes again, he looked back toward the girl in thought over the rest of her questions. "I...would have nowhere to go without a destination given. I don't think...I don't know." He stopped for a moment, unsure of what the answer was, somehow. "But...if it's an order...there's a conflict with the system. I don't know how to follow both commands. I suppose I could leave...but I would need another solution to follow up with."

Honestly, the whole ordeal was already frying his circuits. For some reason, the only thing he could place was that there would be a lot of system conflicts if he received such a command. Eventually, his expression dropped along with the train of thought and he moved on to the other questions for the moment. "For the most part, you have primary control because of your identification at startup. Any other orders would be secondary and easily overridden by a primary command from you. As for your parents...that would likely be situational. Once identified, their commands would likely have to weigh logic against yours. It's a safeguard more than anything, since this model is sometimes used in place of a temporary caregiver for younger children..." He frowned slightly at the statement, clearly not certain of this improvised function he mentioned. That particular feature had been tweaked several times even in recent weeks due to many such attempts at using androids in place of a babysitter or nanny. It concerned the programmers and designers, so it also concerned him. Was it really okay to do such a thing?

She listened to him once again, it somehow never got boring enough for her to stop listening. His words made sense, as usual. She sighed and looked him over. He seemed like he could certainly fit into the role of a helpless street kid. Well, robot. "So you wouldn't ever be able to leave if all I told you was to leave, but you'd be leaving due to your programming..I see." She mumbled most of her sentence to try and gather her thoughts. She got another thoughts along the way. She'd have to study too. She'd have to send out the papers again as well and make sure everything was good to go before she'd have to go to the campus. "Do you know any way you can assist me in studying? Or filling out papers for me? One of the two would be enough..I just want to focus on one thing."

Once her question was out she thought about his reply for her second question. It seemed logical for him to weigh their answers. It seemed a bit odd to consider her parents capable to replying and overwriting her orders. With a somewhat annoyed sigh she got up and walked out into her room, guessing he'd follow her and clean up, it was bit rude to assume, but the again he was a robot and he said he wanted to help, her mind wasn't up to this right now in the first place. "So I guess ordering him to go..would lead to my parents telling him to stay with me. So why would they even allow me to start him, knowing I wouldn't be able to get rid of him..well I guess that was their point" She sighed again and grabbed a book to see what she had to

Felix thought for a moment about the request. "I can copy down any information that I have access to, so paperwork should not be a problem. Studying may depend on the subject, but I'm sure that I may find a way to assist if necessary." He stood up from his seat at the table as Jennah left the room, intending to clean up the kitchen as he had tried to do earlier before moving to his next task. It was still listed as a task in his immediate commands, though it had taken a backseat to the one to stay at the table for the time being until now. As he cleared the dishes and wiped down the counters, he smiled slightly, registering the conversation as a success for the most part. He was learning.

Once everything had been cleaned and put away, he left the kitchen to find where his owner had gone; he couldn't carry out his next commands without the necessary materials, after all. Eventually finding her in her room, he entered and stood just inside. "Jennah, what is the paperwork for? And where is it?"

"Oh..right" She blushed a bit, realizing she forgot about it. "It is in the living room, on the table next to the laptop. It is about my living situation, where I have moved and how long I am here as well as how much this place costs. The laptop is on so it still has all the papers on it. Just fill it out and scan it in before sending it to the school and to the city hall. It's both not really that important, but they need to now it because usually I'd be getting money for the place, but obviously it is much larger than the place of any other student so they will tell me they will not pay me money due to my parents financial situation and that I am to contact them for the payment..which obviously I did. The place only runs at my name because I was going to stay here and we didn't want to rent, but buy the apartment." She giggled and got reminded, "Which gets me back on another topic. How good are you with work like, painting and coloring? I wanted to give my room a bit of an overhaul."

"Painting? Coloring? I can paint as long as I have instructions. Were you thinking of painting the entire room? In solid colors, or is there a design you want?" Painting fell under one of the housework-related functions he had been programmed with, so he was sure that it wouldn't be any trouble. He wasn't sure how he would do with something as complicated as a mural, though. He could probably do something simple, but he figured that art would be more of a human thing that he probably wouldn't copy correctly. "If you bring some colors you want back here at some point during the week, I can probably get started while you are at school in the morning. Solid colors would only take a few hours to apply and maybe a few more to dry as long as we have properly prepared."

"Well, I wanted a design, I have a drawing of it, but I guessed that you can probably bring it on the wall if I give you the drawing, of course much bigger." She had a bit of trouble imagining he wouldn't be able to think of art that well, it was a very human thing, but so natural that she had never given it much thought. "I can get the colors too, that's not the problem. I'll be at university all day anyways..but I think I can pick it up on my way home, I don't think I'd have much trouble studying either..but you know, it feels more natural to have something you like around you.." She then gave another thought, "If I was to be attacked..how would you react? I heard that you are not capable of hurting a human, but what if someone tries to hurt me?"

"That is technically incorrect. Any human who is careless enough may still be caused injury, as with any type of technology. I am not capable of intentionally harming a human, but I am often unable to prevent harm caused by general carelessness. In addition, any attempts by anyone to harm the owner must be dealt with in a quick defensive manner. The number one priority would always be your safety even before incapacitation of a potential assailant. Even in incapacitation, all methods to be used must go in order of highest non-injury to lowest non-lethal depending on the gravity of the situation. Having been created for primarily domestic purposes, I am incapable of performing any greatly damaging action intentionally, and I may only incapacitate someone if there is no other possibility of removing the owner from the threat safely without engaging."

Felix blinked, having finished the mostly pre-prepared explanation for the defensive programming. "In summary, Jennah, my programming prioritizes escape and shielding over any sort of engagement. And any engagement requires that I stay on the defensive until either help arrives or the use of non-damaging incapacitation is auto-authorized."

Closing his eyes for a moment, he ran through the information internally once more before he looked back at the girl. "Is there anything else you would like for me to do or explain, or should I begin filling out the papers? I can bring them in here if you need me to be available for anything else."

Having heard his entire explanation she sighed. A robot, that is what he is. Jennah nodded at his offer. "Go get that done.." She grabbed her books and browsed through the many pages. It was a lot of information in a book like this. She never felt like admitting books were outdated. She took her tablet and opened the exact same book. She sighed, it was the same. She couldn't see any difference, but the fact that even when things got dark, she'd still be able to read on the machine in her hands. Jennah threw it to the side and decided to stick to the book as good as she could, at least the feeling in her hands was different. "Hmm.." She was a fast reader and finished a few chapters within just thirty minutes. Jennah, by now means was stupid. She simply had a deep hatred towards the technology that was continuously advancing. She recalled her science teacher from her old school, "If you'd get over that hatred, you could be so good at helping science to do great things in the topics you study." Back then she hated him for it, but after she finished her first year at a smaller college and was told to go to a better college, she was a bit worried about it. Maybe she was refusing to be as good and useful to the world as she could be, but she was human, she had a right to refuse..right?

The paperwork wasn't that hard to do with the information already there. It would have been very tedious, but the programming forced him through it fairly quickly. It was just one of the functions he was meant to serve.

...Humans could be bored of tasks like this, yet he would have to continue the task even if it wasn't particularly stimulating to him. It was odd, now that he thought of it, but what could he do? Although, maybe that's one of the things she meant. But even if I stopped, the work might not get done, and I might not be useful anymore.

He shook his head as he finished saving a copy onto the computer and submitted the forms. It wasn't particularly useful to become existential over something as mundane as paperwork, was it? That was an odd process to have gone through. Once the work was complete, he stood from his place and looked over to where his owner was likely still studying. Remembering that she had mentioned wanting help, he returned to the room and knocked on the door. "Jennnah? The papers are complete. May I enter?"

"Sure..you already sent it too?" She asked as she took her phone and accessed her mail account to see he had already done so. "Isn't it boring?" The young woman asked him with a rather serious face, she was reading up on a lesson. It was one about artificial inteligence and it made her understand him a bit better. It also got her really interested in studying properly and getting to work with his programming. "Hey..how are you programmed? In what language..?" If she'd get good at it, maybe she could change him up! Maybe she could actually make him human..well as much human as he could get. It was a thought Jennah loved right now, maybe this wasn't half bad. "I was thinking...you can help me study programming a bit. I have it in college anyways...I will be able to study it there..but if I start now I might just be able to do really well. Most of my other topics..are really easy..I learned all that ages ago.." It was basically a lot of things she had worked with on the farm that her parents owned, the only real new thing was this topic. She was probably ahead of class for at least one semester.

"Ah...I suppose it is boring... but what else can I do?" Felix shrugged a bit sheepishly. "But yes, they have been sent."

He gave what should have been a somewhat surprised and confused look at her following question. "My programming? Oh, is it for the purpose of studying, then?" Honestly, the sudden desire to know about his programming specifically had made him a bit hesitant at first. Perhaps he was reading too much into it, but he wasn't entirely sure what to think if she wanted to mess with it. His programming...well, it was about as close as he was intended to get to his deepest thoughts, right? If he were human, that would be...

The android seemed to blush a bit and looked down at his hands, messing with his own fingers to distract himself. "Well, um...I guess the closest most people would know is the C programming language...a lot of it is pretty closely based off of that..." It was embarrassing, like telling a secret that could be used against him. At least, that's the response he assumed was correct for the situation. "I-I don't mind helping if...if it's for your studies, then I don't mind..."

Status
Not open for further replies.