Equus (LogicfromLogic x Gemini)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gemini

Original poster
"But I don't want to do horses!"

"Too bad! Now that you're back here, that's your only choice."

Reese glared across the table at her father. "Dad. There's a reason I went to college. I don't want to be stuck here working the ranch, always in the dirt and shoveling shit. I want to do things with my life."

"Then I guess you shouldn't have flunked out." Stephen Blanchard glowered back at his only child, salt and pepper hair on end from running his hands through it. "Until you earn back the money spent for classes that you didn't care enough about to pass, you're going to be working here, and that's final. No negotiations, ifs, or buts. I think there are some things you could learn here. So go change into something more practical and go out to the stable and get started."

Fuming, Reese stormed up the stairs and slammed her door like a child half her age. This wasn't what she had expected when she came home. Of course she'd known that her father would be angry, but not like this. He knew that horses weren't her thing. He knew that she'd been her happiest at college in the city. I bet that's why he's doing this, she thought, yanking a t-shirt and ratty jeans on. Her boots made her footsteps even louder as she thudded down the stairs, to her satisfaction, and she refused to look at her father as she breezed past him and out the door.

As she left, Stephen picked up the phone and dialed the number for the stable office. He knew that Felix would hear it, and he figured that the stable hand should know what was heading his way. Though Stephen had already given the young man a run down, Reese's attitude meant that he should probably get a chance to brace himself.

Felix was very aware that the owner's daughter wasn't at all happy at the prospect of working with horses. To be honest, he wasn't at all excited to work with her either. He knew her type; spoiled and expected everything to be given to them without work. So when he was told that morning that he, Felix Roosevelt, would be working with her.

He got up around five thirty to feed the horses, this wasn't just any barn. No, this was one of the most prestigious dressage barns in the state. Many of these horses had been shipped, flown, something, from other countries. Costing their riders a lot of money, but their bloodlines were very selective. They had one Lipizzaner, straight from the school in Germany. He cost his rider over two million dollars to buy and ship to America.

So taking care of these horses was a very serious task, Felix was the only twenty four hour hand. He lived in the stables, just in the attic. Since he did so much for the horses, he was allowed to stay there. He wasn't welcomed to holiday dinners or celebrations, he lived his own life in the barn.

He got the arena worked, the horses fed and was starting on stalls when he heard the sounds of boots hitting the floor hard. Only one kind of person made that much noise; he'd heard her here before but they were young. He was eighteen when he started working here, so he had met Reese before. Whether or not she recognized him or not was the question. Putting the cart beside Reggie's stall and started for Reese. Stopping just short of her, he waited for her to tear into him. No matter what she said, he was ordered to make her clean the stalls and work. "Alright, let me have your worst."
dhmurray-architecture-campbell-stables-horse-farm-hamptons-new-york-stable-exposed-truss-stable-room_large.jpg

"This is so fucking stupid," Reese growled under her breath as she headed towards the stable. "'I think there are things you could learn here.' So much bullshit." Scraping her hair back into a ponytail, she winced as she yanked on tangled strands. This only irritated her further, and she was still fuming when she stepped through the stable doors.

A flicker of recognition sparked in her eyes when she saw Felix. She vaguely remembered him as the one that was always there. Back in her high school days she'd had to avoid him as well as her parents when trying to sneak out. She hadn't thought that he would stoop low enough to squeal, but he couldn't tell her dad about anything he didn't know. "You're still here?" She asked bluntly, shoving her hands into her pockets. "God, is this place a ranch or a prison? No one ever leaves."

The horse in the nearest stall snorted as if in response, and Reese eyed the animal before looking back at Felix. "Let me guess. He told you to make me as miserable as possible. Scooping shit, cleaning feet, getting the high strung ones in and out from the pasture?" Honestly, she would rather clean tack than deal with the horses directly. She hated how the smell of them was unavoidable and was impossible to get out of her clothes and hair. She hated how big and unpredictable they were. She hated the strange intelligence in their eyes whenever they stared at her. She hated it all, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.