EquinoxSol x RangerKay

"Your name," Niko said sternly. "What is it?" The only sound in the interrogation room was the cassette feedback in the recorder, and even then it was only white noise.

After several minutes of silence, he said, "Let it be known that she is refusing to answer. Next question: Why were you entering a weapons warehouse?" Even to him, it felt redundant. He knew why, she was taking weapons, but it was needed, at least for the record.

Annabel smiled. "It's amazing that you expect me to answer you, Republic-scum!" Annabel spat on the floor at her feet. She knew they had already dissected the pack, they must have found the guns and medical supplies. She glared at Niko. "I'll prolong my death, thank you."

"Come now," Niko said, abandoning protocol, "I don't verbally abuse you or try to demean you. Why must you do that to me? I'm simply doing my job." He glanced at the mirror, wondering if his superiors were watching them. Probably. Deciding not to feel self-conscious, he looked back to her.

"No, but you physically hurt me." Annabel hissed. "All of you scum...all of you! Always abusing the slums, my people!" Annabel jerked against the handcuffs, before wincing at the pain it brought. She sat back on the chair, trying to breathe evenly to calm herself. She had gotten too angry, and her wrists were paying for it. She glared at the officer, realizing that she gave away the place she had come from.

"You did that to yourself," he tells her, gesturing towards her injuries gained from the handcuffs. "If you hadn't struggled so much, your wrists would be unharmed. I didn't do anything to you." He pauses for a moment. "Now why don't you tell me what you can. It'll only make it easier for you in a trial."

"Bullshit!" Annabel cussed. "Trial? Trial?" She relaxed in the chair. "Is that what they tell you?" She laughed hysterically. "I'm sure that's what your superiors tell you, right? That there is a 'private' trial to protect a wanted criminal like me?" She turned the tables, attempting to get some answers out of him, get him to realize the truth. That was the only way she would escape.

"That is exactly what happens," he answers her, frowning. "I don't see how you find that funny," he tells her, clasping his hands on the table.

"Because!" Annabel allowed her laughter to taper off. "You are being lied to. You know what they really do to people who defy them? They kill them at those so-called trials! After they torture them to death!" Annabel leaned forward. "That's my fate now...you poor, blind, man." She huffed.

"You're the one who's lying!" Niko said. "The Republic wouldn't do anything like that! Stop trying to spread your lies. I'd sooner believe that the US believes I'm the only one who can destroy them than that!"

"Really? I'm lying?" Annabel cackled. "Ask your superior then...they'll deny it of course, saying I'm a criminal trying to escape. They might even tell you that 'private' trials are confidential." She leaned back in the seat. "They will probably tell you that the information is above your pay raise...they probably offered a promotion if you caught me and brought me in." She glanced down at her own cut wrists, wrinkling her nose at the blood beginning to dry. "So, you see, injuring myself...well, it's not an issue...they'll do worse to me." She kicked out at the table in front of her.

Niko felt himself getting angry when she began slandering the Republic, but forced it down. Looking at the recorder, he sighs before saying, "Back to the interrogation, then. What is your full name?" he asked her, frowning.

Annabel frowned. "Well, I guess if I answer then..." She sighed, if she talked she could either endanger her people or save them. There had been quite a few officers that had switched sides, but they had been young and foolish. "My name is Annabel, simply Annabel...I was orphaned in the slums after my parents were killed by you scum."

"And who was it that named you then? Certainly if you remember that your parents were killed by a soldier and not someone native to the slums, you would remember your last name, at the very least. Did you give the name to yourself? Why remember only your first name?" he asked her, trying to poke holes in her statements.

"I was told by the Mother Crow I was destined to be nameless. So, my last name...." Annabel sat back in her chair, growing weary. There really was no escape for her. Is this why the Mother Crow told me I was destined to be nameless? She wondered. There were powers here at work, far more powerful than she could dream. "Hey, can you take these things off? I won't run."

"I'll have to ask my C.O.," he tells her, standing up. Going to the door, he cracks it open, seeing his superiors shaking their heads. "No can do," he tells her, returning to his seat. "Back to the questions. Why were you in the warehouse?"

"Ah, it was stupid of me to even ask." Annabel attempted to make herself comfortable. "Although, I don't see why you couldn't let me, I'm not stupid enough to leave while everyone's still on high alert...even if it would get me killed faster." She winced as the handcuffs bit into her wrists as she leaned back. "Warehouse...I was there to get the medicine for the kids in the orphanage."

"Which orphanage?" Niko asked, the pen still moving swiftly over the pad of paper as he took his own notes. He barely looked up at her, instead completely focused on his notes, only occasionally glancing up at her. "St. Marian's, Mountain View?" he rattled off a few other orphanages he knew of in the worse areas of town, waiting for an answer.

"First, answer me this...why you wanna know?" Annabel was suspicious that he would use the information so the Republic could take the kids into custody.

"It's protocol," he answers. "We need the names of everything, your contacts, the places you've been. It'll be for the investigation."

"Well then it ain't happening." Annabel pursed her lips and refused to give out the name of the orphanage. She knew that during the 'investigation' people would be tortured for information.

"The gods may not have power but those in the slums do!" Kenny yelled at the Mother Crow.
Mother Crow shook her head, staring at Kenny with her blind eyes. "Child, it is not that simple..."